• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 8, 2020

    Legal Advice - My wife and I had an IVF baby but the baby looks very much Caucasian and we are both Pakistani and dark.

    Legal Advice - My wife and I had an IVF baby but the baby looks very much Caucasian and we are both Pakistani and dark.


    My wife and I had an IVF baby but the baby looks very much Caucasian and we are both Pakistani and dark.

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 07:29 AM PDT

    The fertility clinic definitely messed up. My wife loves the baby way too much to say anything. Obviously the baby is going to grow up and ask questions. People near me ask if baby was adopted because baby is white and we are brown. I am going to get a DNA kit for my personal knowledge. But we are scared that we might lose custody if we say anything and we have become very attached to baby who is one years old now.

    What should I do?

    The egg and sperm was supposed to come from us. Did they mess up the embryo with wrong sperm or egg or did they insert the wrong embryo?

    Just to clarify it's not just skin colour, it's also eye colour and hair colour

    submitted by /u/Old_Machine_3216
    [link] [comments]

    Ex showed his friends our sex tape. I wasn’t age of consent.

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 12:12 AM PDT

    Around a year and a half ago a boyfriend (16 at the time, now 18) and I (F, 15 at the time, now 16) made a sex tape. I knew he was filming and let him save it thinking he wouldn't share it. Yes, I realize how stupid it was now and very much regret it. He showed the video to at least a dozen different people in person, but supposedly didn't send it. I was under the age of consent in the video, and my only proof is him admitting and apologizing for it over text.

    If I went to the authorities, what would he be charged with? Would it matter that it happened over a year ago? Would he be in more trouble now that he's 18? What trouble could i face since i let him take & save the video? Would it count as statutory rape too? I've wanted to tell my parents about it and go to the authorities but i'm ashamed. He didn't face any consequences from it. I'm also scared of getting in trouble too for letting him record and not telling somebody about it sooner.

    (this happened in Pennsylvania if that helps or changes anything.)

    Edits: Thank you all for the feedback so far, its thoroughly appreciated. I'll be going through and replying to as many comments as I can shortly. I just wanted to quickly add though, that he has lied or given half truths every time I have asked so far. He did not come forward and apologize on his own. He denied it the first time I asked, lied the second, gave half truths the third while promising it was the full truth, and has yet to give me a list of people he showed, saying he doesn't remember. I'm just trusting his word that he didn't send it and only showed it in person. I also do understand that people make mistakes. Recording it in the first place was a mistake on both of us, but in my opinion there's mistakes and then there's a lack of morals. As far as I know, he no longer has the videos on his phone and hasn't showed them recently, but I don't have proof of that yet. I'll add more information if needed and thank you all again for the help so far.

    submitted by /u/ttthrowawayyy28
    [link] [comments]

    I need help. Please. Im scared for my sister and CPS does nothing. PA, USA

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    Backstory: when I lived at my moms house I was verbally abused daily, hit, and raped. My step dad climbed into my bed. The house was/is littered in animal feces. I have first hand experience what is going to eventually happen to my sister.

    My sister is significantly younger than me (still in elementary) and she just had her first encounter with real physical abuse from my moms bf. We called the cops and CPS and got everyone involved told them everything that has been going on in that house hoping that with the photo evidence we have, my first hand experience, and my sisters experience and her telling CPS directly what is happening in that house. About when they didn't have water for about a month, having no heat in winter, the drugs and alcohol, the house is literally crumbling apart, etc... that there would be no way CPS would allow a child to live in that.

    They don't care. They just told us there's nothing they can do and to just keep filing reports but there's nothing that can be done to help her.

    My mom is planning on letting the abuser come back to the house. He told my sister my moms next bf would rape her. I feel like that is just him saying that he's going to rape her in a weird way. Im so scared.

    I want to prevent my sister from being abused. I need to prevent her from being raped. I don't know what to do if CPS won't do anything. How do I help her? Please.

    I have a stable home, job, etc... I have the capacity to care for her but I don't even feel like I have a chance if CPS won't help me.

    submitted by /u/ToxiccCookie
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor is cutting the corner on his easement by 10 ft. Can I put boulders on the edge to keep him inside the easement? [Arizona USA]

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 04:27 PM PDT

    This is in a rural area, and he has a 15 ft wide easement through my property that does a 90 degree turn. Over the last year, he has been cutting the corner more and more to the point that now he is 10 ft into my property, ie 10 ft past the edge of the easement when he turns the corner.

    I'm actually okay with him cutting the corner a little. He has a big truck and it's a sharp turn. But he's been driving more and more off of the easement. I put up a moveable fence (self supporting cattle fence) about 5 ft in from the easement edge and told him if he ever had a dump truck come in he can move it.

    Well the existence of the fence pissed him off, and he knocks it over every time he drives by. I asked him to pick it up when he leaves (diplomatically assuming he had a reason to knock it over) and he had a texting rage fit.

    So now I want to put up a barrier that he can't knock over. I probably won't be a dick and force him to make the 90 degree turn-- I've give him some room to cut the corner. Boulders or a concrete curb.

    But what is within my rights and what could he push back on?

    I think the prescriptive easement time-frame is 10 years in AZ, and even if you count the previous owner cutting the corner too, it hasn't been an issue for 10 years yet. How do I prevent prescriptive easement problems?

    submitted by /u/RESERVA42
    [link] [comments]

    Non-profit volunteer accidental drug needle stick

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    I volunteered yesterday to work as a nurse with a medical non-profit in Colorado that is assisting a homeless shelter.

    As I was assisting a wheelchair-bound patient, I experienced a needle stick from a open needle he had hidden in his bed. The needle pierced through my gloves and broke skin, resulting in a decent amount of bleeding.

    The first words out of the patient's mouth were: "Oh S***, I have hepatitis C."

    This information turned out to be correct, as the patient is confirmed to have active Hep C, and is a daily IV drug user as well.

    Being a nurse and familiar with the CDC guidelines for accident, after washing the area, I immediately contacted the supervisor to report the incident.

    I went to the hospital, got blood work, and was prescribed HIV PEP for 28 days (prophylactic antivirals) in accordance with CDC guidelines and the Infectious Disease doctors who were assigned to my case.

    My HIV medication is almost a thousand dollars, and I am now responsible for paying for numerous follow-up blood tests at the infectious disease clinic to ensure I have not contracted Hep B, Hep C, or HIV.

    The non-profit I volunteered for is REFUSING to cover any costs, insisting that they don't cover volunteers, only employees. They have been dodging my calls and texts, and have only contacted me to very angrily say that "my expectations" are unrealistic.

    What are my options here?

    submitted by /u/bechendry
    [link] [comments]

    My social security card, birth certificate, and state ID were lost by the Dept. of Transportation. To get a new ID, I need new identity docs, but I can't get new identity docs without an ID. How do I get out of this? Am I in danger of identity theft? Do I have legal recourse against the DOT?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    I live in Iowa in the USA.

    I have legally changed my name and sex, and have been updating all my legal documents to match. Two weeks ago, I began the process of updating my Iowa state-issued ID through the Iowa Dept. of Transportation (DOT). On all resources I'd found, I was told that the only way to change the sex on my state ID was to send an updated birth certificate with my new legal name and sex to the state office of Driver and Identification Services.

    One particular resource I'd consulted told me that I needed to attach my current state ID (with my old legal name), my name change documents, a document with my SSN and updated name (the only document I had that met these criteria was my soc. sec. card), and proofs of address under my updated name. I sent all those documents to the Driver and Identification Services office. This envelope was tracked and insured, and I'm 100% certain it made its way to its destination safely.

    A week ago, I got a call from a DMV in Ankeny, IA. They told me that the Driver and Identification Services office had mailed them all the aforementioned documents, and they wanted me to schedule an appointment to get an updated state ID. I do not know why they sent these documents to Ankeny, as I have never lived in Ankeny, and Ankeny is a good 45 minutes away from the address the DOT has on file for me. Because I am not a licensed driver, and because I do not have reliable transportation to Ankeny, I asked the Ankeny DMV to send these documents to the DMV in Ames, IA, as I live in Ames. They said they would do so and would ask the Ames DMV to call me when they got my identity documents.

    This brings us to today. Because I had never heard from the Ames DMV, I called them to ask if they had my ID documents. They confirmed they never received them from Ankeny. I then called the Ankeny DMV. They could not locate my identity documents either. They also said that the person I spoke to a week ago had not noted that they had recieved documents from me, much less that they had sent these documents to Ames. The person I spoke to today in Ankeny said they would ask their mail room staff to search for the envelope containing my documents or proof that it had been sent to Ames. I have not heard anything back from the Ankeny DMV, so I am operating under the assumption that my documents have been lost.

    Obviously, I will need replacement identity documents. However, it seems that I do not have valid ways of obtaining these documents.

    To get a new social security card, I need to prove my citizenship; the only way to do this is with a birth certificate, which the DOT lost.

    To get a new birth certificate, I need to present a state-issued ID, which the DOT also lost.

    To get a new state-issued ID, I need a birth certificate (i cannot get any of their other accepted options) and proof of social security under my new legal name (the only document that would have my new name on it would be a social security card).

    So I can't get my identity documents without an ID, and I can't get an ID without identity documents. Which puts me in an impossible situation. I'd like to know how to get out of this, whether I am at risk for identity theft, and if I could have any possible legal remedies against the DOT for putting me in this situation in the first place.

    submitted by /u/accountres
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE (Previous post: My brother is dying and I don't know if the hospital is right

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    Previous post HERE

    I wanted to provide an update on my previous post because new developments have arrived.

    After 17 days in the ICU, my brother was discharged from the hospital (their orders, not his choice) and sent home. No wheelchair, no medication that I know of, he could barely walk because the physical therapy his doctor had suggested never occurred. He was told over and over that he was dying. He refused hospice and since they felt they had nothing more to offer, they kicked him out. They told him not to come back because there's no further treatment they can offer.

    First off, I don't know if a hospital can just discharge someone like that, or ban them if no disorderly conduct occurred. We're broke, and they had basically given up on him so I don't know what their rights are. I understand they can't just keep treating people forever.

    He made it at home for less than a day before taking a pretty bad fall, his mobility had been severely impacted. He took an ambulance to a new hospital. Lo and behold, this hospital says my brother is NOT dying and that he will "bounce back" from this.

    Obviously I'm super happy to have a more positive prognosis, but I'm confused and wondering how his first hospital had it so wrong. A little mistake is one thing, but this hospital was thoroughly convinced that my brother was dying. They had a case manager in his room literally every day, only recommending hospice and nothing else.

    Am I wrong to be mad? Am I wrong to think this first hospital messed up? I don't know what to do. I also sincerely hope this new facility is correct in their more optimistic outlook, they're still running tests so it's hard to tell. I don't know if I should just let this go. I want to be happy that my brother is (presumably) going to heal after all, but when I think of how he felt in his first hospital, how cold and distant their care was, and how he said he felt shamed and degraded by the staff there, it breaks my heart.

    Should I just let it go and be happy about the good news, or do I need to take action against his first hospital that (seemingly) misdiagnosed him? Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/HatsuneMiku24
    [link] [comments]

    Parents "forced" child to buy a 40k car.

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 06:02 PM PDT

    Disclaimer: this post is on behalf of my girlfriend and I'm trying my best to relay information.

    My girlfriend is on the hook for a 40k loan to cover a Tesla Model 3. Apparently she had to agree to it or get kicked out. She's 18 years old.

    Her dad controlled most of the process. He made her an account with TD for a loan and had her input her information to calculate loan rates. While she was at work, her dad pushed through the loan without her consent. The down payment was paid with a bank account that the father controls, but contains my girlfriend's money.

    GF also says she signed "some papers" at a Tesla store but she doesn't remember what they were.

    That all sounded like her dad committed fraud to me. However, my GF been rather "passive" about the whole thing. She's paid the monthly bills and uses the car. She's afraid of getting kicked out so she's been afraid to raise a fuss until now, when she realized she can't afford the loan.

    I'm not sure who's liable for what. Any help would be appreciated.

    Washington, USA

    submitted by /u/PMMeGoodTaste
    [link] [comments]

    Fired for having a seizure - what can I do?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm talking on behalf of my friend. He has epilepsy and only gets seizures once a year. He happened to have his seizure at work last Friday (9/4/20) at 10 am. When he came back in today (9/8/20) he was fired for "falsely reporting information" on his application by not reporting his disability, as he believed it happens rarely and should have little to no impact on his work as he mostly answered phones/worked at a desk trouble shooting for customers. I'm helping him file a report with the EEOC. But we are wondering if this would be considered discrimination and if he has a case? Any legal advice would be helpful, thanks so much!

    Just so you know he and the employee are both located in Kentucky.

    submitted by /u/16edgehd
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord lives in China, house needs major repairs

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 08:45 PM PDT

    We have lived in our rented home in San Jose, California happily for over 3 years and converse with our Chinese landlady via email and pay using PayPal. So far whenever the house needs a repair or a new appliance we buy it and deduct it from our rent with her permission. Now there is a major plumbing issue and it has created a lot of mold. We have been contacting plumbers and restoration companies and writing reports to her with our findings. We are doing this without pay and it is time consuming and stressful. She is asking for multiple bids before sending money for repairs. That is not our responsibility as tenants and we feel taken advantage of. We love the house and want to stay but we feel we should ask for payment until the repairs are completed.

    Phase 1 -Plumber replaced pipes (complete) Phase 2 -Water damage and mold removed. Floors and subfloors ripped up in hallway and bathroom, moldy wall removed. (Not started) Phase 3 -Home repairs/Contractor/Carpentry. New floors put in, wall repaired.

    This process could take a long time, but maybe it could be sped up. Hallway is only route to 4 bedrooms, with no floor, house could be uninhabitable for an unknown amount of time. Will they use scaffolding or something, will we have to move out, and if so will she have to pay for 4 hotel rooms? We are all on the lease. We do not want to move.

    We are going to tell her it is her responsibility not ours, she can look up a company and pay for it, or she can hire someone (property manager, personal assistant) privately, or she can pay us. The repairs already have surpassed the monthly rent.

    submitted by /u/bakers-calmdown
    [link] [comments]

    Blackmail using phone plan

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 06:49 AM PDT

    [WA] My girlfriends ex had a phone plan set up with her, she is still on it and has been sending him money to pay off her phone and for her part of the phone bill, recently since we got together he has started turning off her phone and now has switched her over to the kids plan so he can track her location and lock her out of her phone, she has been sending him money for months and barely any of it has gone to paying off her phone, her carrier said they cant change the plan without his consent and he wont, what can be done in situations like this to get her either out of her contract or on a separate plan

    submitted by /u/EdgeLordReap
    [link] [comments]

    Gender discrimination

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 06:31 PM PDT

    Hello there, I am a female working in the oilfield. I am asking advice on my current situation. The company that has hired my company to work for them has pulled me off the job, explicitly for being a female. This information is recorded over telephone conversation between my upper management and the other companies upper management. Is this worth legally investigating? I am not sure If my company or the company we are working for is in the wrong, but I absolutely feel discriminated against. What actions should I take next and is it even worth legally pursuing? Midland Tx

    submitted by /u/Subject82013
    [link] [comments]

    [Boston, MA] Does "Laundry in Basement" in an apartment ad mean the actual washer and dryers are included?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    I recently rented an apartment in Boston.

    In the ad, we were told there was laundry in the basement - not laundry hookups. During the tour the agent pointed out the washer/dryer for our unit, and the one for the downstairs unit.

    When we got the keys, the washer and dryer were missing - taken by the tenants moving out.

    The property management company said they were owned by the tenants, but we were expecting they came with the unit (as it has in similar units we've seen and rented).

    Other ads have said "Laundry hookups in basement" when this was the case, so we had assumed that because it was advertised as laundry in basement that we'd be good. The lease doesn't say anything either way.

    I'd really like to avoid shelling out for a new washer and dryer for a place that we'll be in for 1-2 years, but do we have a leg to stand on that the unit was advertised as including the units, or are we screwed?

    submitted by /u/beardyweirdy95
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal to buy someone's expired website domain and redirect it to a porn site?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    A man I dislike recently let his domain expire. Can I anonymously buy it and redirect it to some porn site? Or maybe his competitors? I'm Australian and would like to know if this is legal?

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_YOUR_MEAL_PREP
    [link] [comments]

    [Arizona] Friend's mom, who can't speak english, had a court hearing over Google Meet. Is she owed a Spanish transcript?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 07:22 PM PDT

    During the meeting, she had a Spanish translator. However, when the witnesses were giving their testimonies, both her and her translator were asked to leave the meeting.

    Afterward she was provided a recording of the entire meeting, including the parts where her and her translator had left. However, since she does not speak English, and her translator was asked to leave, she has no idea what was said for a solid hour.

    Doesn't Arizona's right to an interpreter mean that they must provide a Spanish transcript of what was said?

    We could try translate this all for her, but it's an hour long and it feels intentionally done.

    submitted by /u/AdeonWriter
    [link] [comments]

    Guy has fever on Sunday, is back at work in our restaurant today with cough and sniffles

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    I work in a restaurant in Georgia. We have a health survey we are supposed to do when we get there. If you have any covid symptoms its supposed to be an automatic sent home for the day and if you have certain ones youre supposed to get a covid test and quarantine until the results are in.

    We had a server who called out Sunday because he said he had a fever of 102.5. He was back at work today (tuesday) serving with no mask, just a face shield.

    I saw him cough several times and wipe his nose as if it were runny. Managers did nothing. He either didnt fill out a survey or lied on it.

    Ive told management if he doesn't get sent home after tonight I'm not coming back for two weeks.

    Who should i alert as far as agencies since they are not enforcing a mask with him and are allowing him at work obviously sick?

    submitted by /u/SquidOfReptar
    [link] [comments]

    My [20F] friend is being sexually-harassed at work and her boss told her to get used to it because its a male dominant work place [CA,USA]

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 09:02 PM PDT

    She's afraid to go to HR in the case they decide to try to silence her and side with the company, what should she do? They often make comments about her body or how nice she looks, often bump into her and gaslight her into thinking they didn't mean to touch her

    submitted by /u/Gr_z
    [link] [comments]

    Violent neighbors in rural PA

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 01:54 PM PDT

    So this is going to be a long story. I am going to contact a lawyer, but just wanted to get some sort of idea about what we may be able to do in this situation. Background info: My husband's family owns property in a rural camp area in PA. It is located on a private road shared by the other families who own land on the road. I apologize in advance for any formatting mistakes or broken rules.

    TL;DR - Violent neighbors with guns run us out of our family camp.

    A new family moved in a few months ago and have been causing issues with many of the neighbors. They started by putting gravel speed bumps on the private road so big that cars and SUV's could not drive over them. The wife assaulted my mother in law two weeks ago after an argument about the speed bumps. The PA state trooper who responded to the call advised my husband's family to remove the speed bumps because they're not legal. The assault charges got thrown out at the hearing, likely due to this woman's family connection to the magistrate. This was despite the fact that my mother in law had a witness, a police report, and photos of her injuries.

    Two days after the assault, her husband drove his truck around my husband's family's property while aiming a gun at my 16 year old brother in law. He did end up with a harassment charge and a fine. We did plan on removing the speed bumps with one of our tractors, but after this incident with a gun, we decided it was too dangerous.

    At some point (nobody is sure about when), this neighbor dumped waste from paving their driveway into the field across from their property, which they do not own. It may have been when they put in the speed bumps, but nobody was there to see it happen. But it is the same material they used to pave their driveway, and kind of like a milling.

    Yesterday, we were back up there with the family for the holiday. Nobody came and caused any trouble with us, so we thought maybe the drama had died down. We left just after dark, and on the way out, the back wheels of the car spun a little on one of the speed bumps. The car we drove is rear wheel drive, and it needs back tires soon so it's not great on loose gravel like that. Well, we were driving down the road to go home and go to bed when a truck with a big bright light bar comes right up behind us. He then proceeded to pull up beside us and scream out the window of his car, and then we realized who it was. The road is only 2 lanes, but this was a passing zone. My husband backed off and the truck got in front of us. Then this guy puts down the back window of his truck and holds a gun out at us. He ended up pulling off the road a few miles down the road, but it was a terrifying ride.

    This afternoon, my husband's work got a call from a woman who would not identify herself. It was a blocked call. She stated that she heard my husband talking to his mom this weekend at a party about stealing a bunch of money from his workplace. My husband's bosses both talked to her, and she refused to tell them where, when, how she knows my husband, etc. They overheard my husband talking about the situation this morning and they figured this woman is who called.

    The incidents from last night and this afternoon have been reported to the state trooper who responded to my MIL's assault, but he is off until tomorrow. We are afraid that the police aren't going to take any of this seriously. We are all planning on staying away from the property for our own safety, because at this point we feel that they may shoot us if we show back up.

    submitted by /u/theoreticalfishstix
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord gave 7 day notice to remove dogs

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    We have been living at this property for over a year, nearly two now. The park we live in changed owners a month or two ago, and we just received this notice on our front door:

    "It has come t o our attention that you have a breed of canine residing at your residence that is prohibited at our property. Unfortunately, our insurance provider doesn't allow the following breeds (including mix breeds) - Pit Bull, German Shepherds, Rottweiler and Doberman Pinscher. You have 7 days from the date of this notice to have your animal removed from property or you will be evicted immediately." (we have a Bully mix and a Shepherd mix)

    Is this legal? Is there anything I can do? Note that we've had these dogs for the entire duration of our stay at this property. The house itself is owned by us, and we just rent the lot it's on.

    Location: Geismar, Louisiana

    submitted by /u/zoobooz
    [link] [comments]

    (Chicago) How to get ambulance chasing attorneys to stop harassing me?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    yesterday I was involved in a minor hit and run accident. I was rear ended while sitting at a red light, there was only a couple minor paint scrapes, but due to the fact the guy who rear ended me decided to floor it and hook a left turn through a red light to get away, I decided to make a police report. Well today, I've had about 15 calls from various attorneys trying to get me to pursue legal action and go to the hospital and all this other stuff. I've told several of them I'm not interested but the calls keep coming. I was on a zoom call and it cut out because an ambulance chaser had to call in the middle of my class. It's straight up harassment at this point, and I'm on the do not call list. Is there something I can do to stop these calls?

    submitted by /u/TheZombaslaya
    [link] [comments]

    College quarantine dorm

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 09:40 PM PDT

    This is long but I feel like the situation warrants it. I go to school at SUNY Buffalo

    First, they had me stand outside my dorm in the cold for an hour. The person in contact with me told me the van would be arriving at 11:30, but it didn't arrive until 12:30am. He also had no idea what color it was, if it was UB van or not, or a license plate number (not his fault tho, he wasn't given any more info). So basically I got thrown into a random white van (and it was definitely not a UB van). When I got to the quarantine dorm, I called the RA on duty and was given a paper bag with face masks, sheets, garbage bags, and a food box which contained a rotten banana, a bag of baked lays chips, and 3 cookies. In the bathroom, they provided me with 2 rolls of toilet paper and a bathroom cleaner. They didn't give me any hand soap, and when I called and requested it they said they didn't have any but they could give me deodorant ???

    Now here's what pisses me off the most: the food situation. The only food you are allowed to order is through campus dining and you have to email them your pdf order form before 10am every day and at 5pm they will deliver your dinner, and breakfast and lunch for the next day. It's $5.25 for breakfast and $10 for lunch and dinner, and you can either pay with your meal plan or a credit card. Only the lunch and dinner come with a water bottle, and if you want more than the single water bottle that comes with your $10 meal you have to pay $2 extra. And if you don't order the campus dining food, you don't get ANY water for the day. We aren't allowed to order any outside food or groceries, so you are forced to order the overpriced CDS food or just starve pretty much. I also requested an orange bc vitamin c ya know and they told me they can't guarantee any fruits with my meal. Also, breakfast is the only meal that comes with any fruit (so far I've been getting shitty melon cups). They give us a ridiculous amount of cookies and pastries and I would much rather get water bottles. and the food is most definitely not worth the price. yesterday I got two dry ass chicken legs, a fistful of rice, and some broccoli. I'm able to afford the food even though its overpriced as hell and shitty as fuck but I know a lot of people aren't. Some who can't even afford meal plans in the first place are forced to pay for this food (with tax!!)

    We are literally treated like prisoners, the RA's BANG on your door when they deliver the food, the first day I literally thought my room was getting broken into bc they banged so fuckin hard FOR NO GODAMN REASON and we can't go on walks or even leave the threshold of our door. We don't have a microwave either, so if your food gets cold or you wanna save it you just gotta eat it cold. The RA also told me I should have brought bread and peanut butter when I called and complained about the food. Like?? I didn't know I should've stocked up on rations jfc

    I haven't even been given a set date of when I can leave yet, no one has given me an official date so I'm just gonna dip as soon as it marks two weeks. this is literally torture and I feel like I'm living in the Stanford prison experiment

    Is there anything here legally that can be done?

    submitted by /u/65kokopop
    [link] [comments]

    MIL’s adult care home is closing and she is getting kicked out. Can they do this?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 07:44 PM PDT

    My MIL's care facility notified him in writing 28 days ago that they were planning on shutting the facility down, and that she would need to find a new place to live. Since then, my husband has visited new care facilities that takes Medicaid (not easy), and has found one that will take her. For whatever reason, the paperwork was held up and it now looks like it will be at least another week before the new place can take her in.

    Meanwhile, the place she is at now is telling us that their liability insurance will run out on Thursday and that we need to come pick her up in 2 days. We are scrambling to try to find options, but there are really none available. She does not have any assets and relies on social security and medicaid. She needs help to eat, shower and get around, and we're not prepared to provide her with that sort of care at our house.

    I am wondering a few things: 1. Can the nursing facility actually kick her out without having another place for her to go? Do they have legal authority to do so? She is located in Washington state, where the governor extended their COVID eviction moratorium. I am also wondering why the facility not wanting to renew their liability insurance is our problem. 2. What happens if we don't come and get her on Thursday? 3. What happens if we do come and get her? Are we then responsible for her care moving forward? We don't have confirmation yet that she will definitely be admitted into the new home. 4. Should we consult a lawyer about this? It feels like they are trying to pull a fast one on us.

    I am not close with my MIL. She is quite unpleasant and I do not want her staying with us long-term. Neither my husband nor I trust her, and we are afraid she might not voluntarily leave if we let her come to our house. I could stomach maybe a week of her staying here, but not much more. We are also not prepared to have an elderly person that needs a lot of care staying with us. How would we help her shower, for instance? Do we have to change her diapers?

    Any guidance would be appreciated. We are not able to get ahold of the state social worker. I spoke to the state ombudsmen and they said my best option was to try to negotiate an extra week stay at her current home, but today on the phone the person from the adult care home said the date was non-negotiable.

    submitted by /u/shakasocks
    [link] [comments]

    I think I accidentally committed extortion in writing

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 04:33 PM PDT

    I was a student at a Catholic University that got caught up in the National sex abuse crisis. I was a witness to a bunch of stuff. Graduated in 2012.

    Today I got asked to have a "friendly chat" with campus police and Alumni relations and people from the title IX office. Only 1 person showed up; guy from campus police.

    Was promised I could get the transcript of the meeting at the beginning of the call and then was told that wouldn't be possible.

    They took a 2 hour recorded statement from me and said "it would be investigated" and hung up.

    I was pretty upset; as I was the victim of sexual harassment by the clergy and I have been trying to report this for 13 years.

    I've said stuff for 13 years and been in touch; it only got looked at when I posted something on Twitter.

    Well, me and my angriness and my pain fired off an email where I basically said, I know the criminal statute of limitations are over but I will file a civil lawsuit for all this stuff for x amount unless the university settles for a quarter of the amount which, as I broke down in the email, really is to cover therapy bills related to the issues I had as a student. Last sentence I said was basically, I just want to close the door and move on and I agreed to not discuss the issue outside of the negotiations.

    However I also threatened to contact the press and the local government in that letter.

    I regretted it as soon as I sent. I'm not a lawyer; all I was trying to do was show them that I meant business and I knew other people who had been in the same circumstance.

    Now what do I do? Should I follow up and say "this wasn't meant to be a threat; you need to understand the pain that you caused me by refusing to investigate?"

    School is located in the DC MD VA area and I'm outside of the US.

    submitted by /u/madocgwynedd
    [link] [comments]

    Can a developer annex our property out of a subdivision if we don’t sign his paperwork to add another lot on our street?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    Our developer for our subdivision is threatening to annex our property out of the subdivision (revoking our rights to secondary water and all HOA amenities) if we do not sign paperwork agreeing to a reduction of our property size so that he can fit one more lot on our street in an area that was supposed to be a community park. We already own the property as our name is recorded at the county and the financials have already been taken care of clear back in January through a title company. Does his threat have teeth? Do we need to get a lawyer involved? Or is he spewing nonsense and we should just wait him out? - EDIT: We are located in Utah. Weber county specifically.

    submitted by /u/extbm95
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment