• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 9, 2020

    Legal Advice - My mother's personal belongings were accidentally cremated with her, do I have any recourse?

    Legal Advice - My mother's personal belongings were accidentally cremated with her, do I have any recourse?


    My mother's personal belongings were accidentally cremated with her, do I have any recourse?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 02:46 PM PDT

    My mother died from COVID a couple of weeks ago. After her passing, I called the hospital and let them know which funeral home we would be using for the cremation. I asked about her personal belongings that had been in her room and was told they were being sent with the body. I called the funeral home and asked about how to pick them up and was told I could get them when I picked up her ashes.

    Fast forward to today, when I picked up her ashes, and was told there were no belongings. After some calls to the hospital, it seems that the funeral home wasn't aware that her belongings were in the body bag, and since she was COVID positive and wasn't embalmed, they didn't open the bag at all. They say it is not standard procedure for the belongings to be put in the bag with the body but the hospital says it is. How do I determine who is responsible? Do I have any options? I know it won't help as the most important things were sentimental, but I feel like some justice is owed to me. There were several pieces of jewelry, her cell phone and kindle, as well as a few small items. We are located in Tennessee.

    submitted by /u/ARealGrill
    [link] [comments]

    USPS Lost my mother's Green Card Paperwork and no one wants to take responsibility

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    Texas, USA

    My mother is not a citizen of America and her green card is expiring, she sold plasma, worked in food delivery and received help from my father so they could afford the hefty price tag of over $1000 dollars. After paying for this she waited quite a long time and finally after a month she became worried and contacted immigration. They told her they sent off the paperwork and she needed to contact USPS since they did their part on the shipping portion. When contacting USPS they told her they lost her mail and there was nothing they could do.

    What can we do?

    2LDR: USPS Lost her paperwork and won't refund her and immigration won't resend the paperwork or refund.

    Edit: talked to my mother, USPS didn't lose anything but a receipt, USCIS told her they sent her greencard but they didn't actually send the card and is refusing to send it

    submitted by /u/Greentooth12
    [link] [comments]

    (LA) Multiple cops knocked on door, after midnight, looking for a stolen Macbook. Disgruntled macbook owner is now stalking my house across the street

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 11:26 PM PDT

    I stayed up quite late with the kids tonight and as we were getting ready for bed, we had to cops knock on the door. I asked who it was multiple times before they finally answered BRPD. I see two police cars around my house and another car a house down. The police officers said that a macbook is pinging to my address. I tell them I do not have any macbooks in the house. They start asking what I do have and I tell them that I have two PCs and three ipads for the kids.

    They asks if they can come in so they dont have to come back with a search warrant and I agreed. They look at my computers, my ipads, asking me for receipts that I provide as quickly as I can. I just didn't have a receipt for one of the ipads bc I bought it from costco but I can show them when the device was listed but they told me all of that was fine. They search my home (looked under mattresses, checked backpacks, a money bank that I keep my server tips in etc.) , even though I am obviously very annoyed that they are in my home.

    My kids are running around naked because we had just gotten done with bath time and was getting into pajamas. One of them makes a comment that they think it was weird that it was turned off before they were even able to knock on me door, after they had pinged it a fourth time. Two of the three times they pinged it, they said it showed at my address. I had told them that the lot next to my home, that I do not own, serves as a parking lot for the whole neighborhood and I have a bus stop in front of my house. It couldve literally been someone just passing by. The main officer told me he honestly didnt know how it worked and asked if I was familiar with the process, if it were accurate, etc. I said I guess, I've never owned a apple product besides the ipads that I bought for the kids school.

    He asked for some identification and takes my phone number. He told me that hes wearing a camera, its been recorded that I had been cooperative, they searched the house and didn't find anything but he had to take down my info to show that he made contact with me. They left and went to knock on other doors, going back to talk to the person in the car in between houses. They, I guess, called it quits and after a final chat with the other car, that car drove off and they also left.

    Now that not police car has doubled back and is now parked across the street obviously watching my house. It's super creepy. Am I allowed to be harassed by this person? Did I screw up letting them in my home in the first place? I do not have their laptop.

    submitted by /u/Wolfblaine
    [link] [comments]

    [UPDATE] My tenant is demanding that I put in a very expensive stair lift. Am I required to do this?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    Original post is here.

    As I suspected in the comments of my original post, my tenant was a total misogynist. As many of your suspected in the comments, he did seem to be an "experienced" tenant looking to take advance of the situation and my lack of experience.

    I wrote him a lengthly email and telling him I was not required to pay for his stair lift and had made reasonable accommodations for him with the second handrail. I informed him that there were two options, he could be let out of his current lease with no penalty and get his deposit back (assuming there wasn't any damage) or he could pay additional deposit of $2,000 for the installation of the stair lift. (I contacted an attorney and on that one, and he agreed it was within my rights to require an addition deposit for such a huge change to my property.)

    I texted him and let him know I'd entailed him. He did not respond. My texted my husband a few days later and told him that the text was his 30 day notice. My husband told him that he was not his landlord, as I'm the only property owner. He waited a few more days and texted me the same thing. 30 days later, I met him at the property for the inspection and for him to turn over keys. I charged him $150 for cleaning because he did leave random bags of stuff behind and kitchen perishables. He mumbled that I was a bitch but I brushed it off. I gave him his deposit minus the $150 and he gave me the keys.

    My husband and I just cleaned the place yesterday and changed the locks. A few people are lined up to see this weekends so fingers crosssed! Gonna be more chosey this time!

    Thanks for all the advice guys!

    submitted by /u/getinloserssss
    [link] [comments]

    My step-daughter's bio mom is trying to show back up after 8 years

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    My SD is 15 and hasn't seen her bio mom for 8 years (and that was one hour long visit). My husband hadn't heard from her for years and then at the beginning of this year we suddenly started getting child support from her, for the first time in SD's life. Bio mom has always had problems with drugs and being in and out of jail, we heard a couple of years ago that she had moved out of state.

    Now all of a sudden I get a message out of the blue that my husband needs to answer her message because she's moving back home and planning to file for custody. Apparently she had messaged my husband over Facebook and it had gone to his spam inbox, I have no idea why she decided to message him there because he has had the same phone number since before SD was born, but that's not really the issue.

    The question I have is does she have any kind of a leg to stand on? She seems to think that since she's been paying child support for a while that that excuses all the years of no contact. I've been the only real mom that SD has ever known, I've been with her dad since she was 6 years old and quite frankly I'm kind of freaking out that she might get taken away because I know that in a lot of cases courts favor the mother.

    We have an appointment with our lawyer but it's not until Monday and I'm just kind of hoping for some reassurance here so that I can stop feeling like I'm going to throw up.

    Edit because I forgot location, it's in Tennessee

    Edit 2: Thanks so much y'all. I don't feel nearly as nauseous as I have been. My head knows that I'm probably building this up to much, but my heart says different because biology or not, that's my baby and I just don't ever want anything to hurt her.

    submitted by /u/just-1-more-question
    [link] [comments]

    [Georgia, USA, family court] At my wits end with custody of my daughter. I've done everything the court has asked me to do while my ex has done none of it, and now it looks like she's going to get primary custody.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 07:41 AM PDT

    So let me preface this by saying that I'm a recovering drug addict. The mother of my child and I both have a history with drug abuse that lead to both of us losing custody. I got my ass into rehab though, and now this October I'll be 2 years clean and sober. I've done everything that DFCS has asked me to do and more, but it also looks like this October my ex will be getting primary custody, even though she will only be 6 months clean by that time.

    When DFCS got involved, they gave us very specific (and not very pleasant) things that we needed to do to get back with our daughter. They wanted each of us to get into a 12 month, residential treatment program. Complete the program and 12 months of clean drug screens. It doesn't sound like a lot, but 12 months in a rehab ain't no walk in the damn park.

    So I did it. I got into a 12 month program, finished it, I've got almost 24 months clean now. I also joined numerous other support groups, 12 step programs, one on one and group therapy.

    I found out after I joined my program though that my ex convinced them to let her do a different program, an accountability court. It allowed her to stay home, no residential anything. There are no kids at residential programs, so she was already at an advantage by staying home because she could have some kind of supervised custody, while I could only have weekly visits.

    She has not done well in her program. She has relapsed and gone on several benders. She has failed drug screens, gone to detox, lied about going to detox, gone back in, and come back out and relapsed again. Her most recent relapse was May. Not in may mind you, but three weeks of the month of May. So this October, when I will celebrate two years clean and sober, she won't even have a quarter that time. When we went to court last month, they gave my ex unsupervised, extended, overnight visitation with my daughter.

    This case should have ended months ago, back when I graduated from my program. But it hasn't, and they keep giving her more chances. My lawyer has called her out, DFCS has called her out, the lawyer assigned to my daughter has proclaimed in the court "get her out of the mother's house NOW" and the judge just keeps giving her more chances.

    I took a year out of my daughter's life because that's what they asked me to do, I knew it was the right thing to do for my daughter. But I missed out on a bunch of her life, because the court asked me to. And now they aren't even holding up their end of the deal?

    In the last court hearing, they gave my ex overnight and unsupervised visits, something that they didn't give me until I had 9 months clean and sober. They also said they are planning on closing the case and making a final decision in October, when my ex finishes her program. They gave her the unsupervised/overnights because she was living with her parents and they felt okay with it, but she just announced this week that she's moving into her own apartment with her new boyfriend, somebody that none of us even knew about and is essentially a complete stranger to my daughter.

    The year that I spent not living with my daughter has really strained my relationship with her too. She's only three, but now she's pretty much grown up with her mom and my parents. I was just somebody she got to see for a few hours on the weekends, and it is difficult now.

    They are hesitant to make changes to my daughter's schedule when it gives me more time, but not when it gives her mom more time. When I had an opportunity to get more time with her, the courts told me that they don't want to mess with her schedule too much because it could upset her.

    When the ex had an opportunity, the court told me it's only fair to the mother to make time more equal. In fact, the ONLY time that I've actually made any kind of progress in the case is when my ex has relapsed. So it wasn't because I was doing the right thing and they did the right thing in turn, it was my ex fucking up and them having no choice.

    I don't know what's happening. It could be because I'm a man looking for custody in the South, or it could be because the judge is the same judge from her treatment court. Maybe it's a combination of both. I know that they are expediting her custody time, and ending this next month. After that I won't have anything, no say, no courts, no lawyers. I have a public defender now, and I feel like he's at the end of his own rope too.

    What do I do? I've done what they asked. My ex hasn't. They won't give me full custody, which I should have been granted when I finished my program. Instead, they're drawing it out until my ex finishes her program.

    submitted by /u/alexanderthemeh
    [link] [comments]

    My wife and I were supposed to watch a dog for 2 months and it's been over a year

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 05:30 PM PDT

    We live in Nevada.

    My wife's friend had a puppy but couldnt keep him where she was living. She asked us to foster him for 2 months until she could move into a new place where she could have him. During that time she was supposed to be providing us with his food. She provided us with food when she dropped him off and again a few weeks later then she stopped. Shes seen him about 3 times. after a month she stopped asking about him and has had very sporadic contact with us in regards to him (no contact with us for 3, 4 months etc). Now she is buying a house and wants him back after over a year of him being with us. At this point we want to keep him since we've bonded with him and have had him for nearly his entire life (he was 5 months when we started watching him). Is there anything we can do to keep him?

    submitted by /u/Xandi5
    [link] [comments]

    I think the healthcare company I work for is committing fraud. What should I do?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 06:42 PM PDT

    Throwaway account for obvious reasons.

    Yes, I am already trying to find a new job. NJ.

    I am a provider at a primary care office. Please see my concerns below.

    1. Upcoding diagnoses, extensive testing

    This office pushes extensive in-house annual testing and subsequently code for diagnoses/symptoms the patient doesn't have or complain of.

    For example, yearly ultrasounds (carotid, echo, aorta, retro, abdominal, pelvis/prostate) are done for patients above a certain age and diagnoses codes for the office visit will have some/all of the following diagnoses: "abdominal pain, aortic atherosclerosis, Other specified symptom or sign involving circulatory or respiratory system, Other nonrhematic tricuspid valve disorders, Nocturia, Encounter for observation for other suspected diesases and conditions ruled out". They will also do annual ABIs and code for "pain in extremity". I have proof for this. These are just some examples.

    We are told to order these tests in order to be proactive and keep costs down, as we are an Accountable Care Organization. I am unsure if being an ACO would change how billing for services are determined.

    1. COVID telemedicine visits- all calls were billed under our CEO despite him making the vast minority of calls. We were told to bill under his name.

    2. Physicians working under other physician names.

    a) A physician in our practice was stepping away from clinical work for 2 years and moved to a non-clinical roll. Three months into this position change, this physician worked seeing COVID patients under other provider names. I have proof of this. This physician pleaded guilty in a test-referral scheme and I haven't been able to find evidence that he had his license revoked/suspended or why he suddenly was moved within the company.

    B) We have another physician who plead guilty for taking cash kickbacks for patient referrals. This provider is not allowed to see Medicare patients (unsure if related to above), but he still sees Medicare patients under other providers names. I have proof of this.

    C) The CEO has a tech employee who works closely with him. This employee was formerly the CEO of a healthcare tech corporation, who had a class action lawsuit against him due to falsifying stock information (this is what I've gathered from my limited knowledge of reading law documents). I don't have any evidence of anything he has/has not done fraudulently in the company, but it does make me suspicious of why the CEO keeps him so close.

    4) Lastly, our company runs its own in-house lab. I have found this lab is registered with the CLIA (clinical laboratory improvement amendments) and is in good standing. However, when ordering annual labs for patients, the tests ordered to our lab are far more numerous than the tests we order for quest/labcorp. Also, the lab results are drastically different compared to quest/labcorp. For example, the PTH is always elevated and white counts are falsely low- when repeat testing is done at a larger lab, these values are within normal limits. I've asked my supervising physician about this, and he says since we have less patients compared to larger labs, that sometimes our reference points will be different. I'm unsure of how true this is.

    Please let me know which of these topics is fraud and which may not be and what else I should be looking out for. Please let me know how/where I can go about reporting this/tipping ANONYMOUSLY. I would prefer not to get involved with whistleblowing lawyers etc.

    submitted by /u/_throwaway_1779
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord unrestricted access?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 08:54 AM PDT

    My property manager told me during our walk through that he wants to put a lockbox on my new home for a once a month pest control service. They don't have appointments, the pest people just give 24 hours notice when they are in the neighborhood. I am really uncomfortable with random pest guys having the code to get into my home and further more don't feel once a month indoor spraying is necessary for my place. It does say in the lease that he can enter to make repairs but with 48 hours notice and there is ZERO mention of a lockbox with essenitally unrestricted access in the lease.

    I have never lived anywhere where the landlord and I did not make an appointment for a repair. And I have never lived anywhere that required monthly pest control indoors so when I read the lease I did not imagine that would be an issue. Can I refuse this? I may be out of town and I don't want people in my home when I am not there. Also, as a single woman this makes me feel very unsafe. I also have had extreme chemical sensitivity in the past and spraying my home with chemicals is not good for someone with my immune system issues. I live in Colorado. He thought my concerns were ridiculous. I would appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/thebloodofstars
    [link] [comments]

    I'm getting sued by the guy who t-boned me

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 03:45 PM PDT

    A little bit ago I was driving on a two-way road is a shopping center sort of thing, and I start turning right into a parking garage, blinker on. I was driving a pretty large pickup truck, so my turns are big and slow, but I had room, I'm here once or twice a week, always park in the same place. As I'm turning, apparently the guy behind me didn't want to wait and tried to pass me on the right, hitting me in the passenger side door. He got out and started yelling, I asked if he was okay, he kept yelling, so I rolled my window up, put my hazards on, and called 911. He was a big guy, and I'm a smaller lady. cops came, we both said we were fine and didn't need an ambulance. They wrote an incident report, and there was no damage to either of the cars.

    He is now suing me for reckless driving, claiming he injured his neck after the accident. Now, I'm gonna assume that is true because I generally like to assume the best in people, and he was going maybe 10 mph when he hit me, so, possible.

    my question is, how can he even sue me if he's the one who caused the accident??? Can I counter sue for all the time and effort I've had to put into this whole thing? I'm not a chill person, I've been freaking out about this for almost a year. PLS help

    I'm in Liberty, Texas

    submitted by /u/dasgidididings
    [link] [comments]

    Someone tried to climb my building. Liability issues?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    My employer's building is several stories high. Parts of it are made with cinder block-type bricks that have holes that could fit a hand or foot. Today we found a teenager climbing it. Told him to GTFO. He said "damn, I was hoping to make it to the top before you caught me", and then he left.

    Do we have a legal responsibility to make it more difficult to climb or is common sense that people shouldn't climb buildings sufficient to protect us if heaven forbid someone injured themselves falling off our roof?

    Alberta, Canada

    submitted by /u/Mango123456
    [link] [comments]

    Father going outside of the US for extended period of time, can biological mother claim abandonment?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    This is complicated so I'll do my best to explain. My boyfriend is not from the US and has a child with a woman he dated casually. They have established paternity but do not have a formal custody agreement. She has forbid him from seeing the child unless he gets a COVID test each time. Being fed up he told her that he just won't see the child until next year when they go to court. Since she's not allowing him to see his child, he wants to go back to his home country for 4 months to save for a house here. He wants to purchase a house so he can keep his child 50% of the time. During this time he would continue to pay child support. I'm concerned because the mother of the child is extremely unstable and regularly stalks and harasses him (hundreds of messages a day) if he doesn't do what she wants. Is there anything legally he should do to protect himself? Can she say he's abandoning his child? We're in Michigan.

    submitted by /u/scorpionqueen1120
    [link] [comments]

    Retail Chain attempting to force my sister out of her job after giving birth (NC).

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    My sister gave birth one month ago via c-section. She has appropriately informed her employer of every step throughout her pregnancy, even her c-section the day of. The department that manages FMLA, etc. has handled her paperwork as they should. However her manager and coworkers have been coercing her to either conform to a completely different schedule or quitting all together.

    She's been cleared by her OBGYN to return the second week of October (doctor's note has been submitted), however her manager scheduled her to work this weekend and her coworkers persisted in echoing this even after directly sending everyone the paperwork.

    Her manager has told her she either has to accept and work the graveyard shift (7 days on/off) starting this weekend or else she will be "resigning her position as shift lead". She normally works day shifts and is unable to work graveyard shifts due to not being able to find childcare.

    All of these communications are via text and she's saved them, but is unsure of her next steps. I have been her advocate and supporter throughout and so I want to help her navigate this as best as possible.

    submitted by /u/tokenkinesis
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment wasn't ready for habitation on move-in day

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    My friend and I moved into an apartment on Sept. 1 in Union City, New Jersey.

    First big problem: We discovered that half of the apartment had no electricity on move-in day. Landlord claimed not to know about the problem and sent an electrician, who found that the dead half of the apartment had been wired to a neighboring building with a different owner. The electrician comes and goes, and has told us the wiring in the building is a mess, but we don't know yet if it will be resolved. Electrician said the entire apartment is now being powered by one 20-amp breaker, which would normally be used to power a kitchen alone. We also had a problem with the oven/range tripping the GFCI outlet in the kitchen, and to this day, 9 days later, we can't plug the oven/range into the wall.

    Second big problem: The landlord had verbally promised that the crappy bathroom would be remodeled before our move-in. When we moved in, the work hadn't been started. He claimed the plumber ghosted him for an entire week before the move-in, and provided texts to prove he got no response, but he did not attempt to hire another one until after the 1st. The next plumber he attempted to hire, he claims, has ghosted him too. Now the landlord is out of town.

    Other problem: There is a deadbolt lock on our front door but the landlord will not provide a key for it. We have a key for the smaller lock on the doorknob. At first I just figured maybe we'll have to buy our own deadbolt lock for the front door, but then I read that in New Jersey's "Truth in Renting" booklet -- which the landlord was supposed to have handed to us when we signed the lease but didn't -- that a deadbolt is required, as I understand it.

    We've also noticed the basement has a hole in the ground with some kind of wastewater or watery filth in it. The hallways aren't maintained or cleaned at all and are filled with other tenants' belongings. When we moved in, every hallway fire alarm on all three floors were chirping. I replaced the battery in the one on our floor.

    I began to worry actually before we moved in, when I found that getting a copy of the lease was like pulling teeth. I texted the landlord multiple times about it to no avail, and a stern email from my friend /roommate finally did the trick. The landlord is a young guy who owns the building and doesn't seem to have time to maintain it or the resources to hire a super. It's three floors with six apartments.

    So what to do? We're fed up but we need to work from home remotely and it would be an enormous hardship to stop working and move again. If we decide to do that, can we get out of this nightmare lease?? It's been extremely distressing for both of us.

    We're also really worried that a legal problem with a landlord will make it impossible to rent another apartment in the future.

    submitted by /u/lmrjr
    [link] [comments]

    A neighbor tried to add me under his gym account, instead they mislead him and made a new account under my name and allowed him to sign for me. Now debt collectors are calling me.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 07:32 AM PDT

    Location: Los Angeles/Burbank, California

    Flair reason: I'm listing this as a contract question because my problem is more with the account creation than with the debt collectors calling. I have to get the account creation issue solved before I tackle the debt, and the debt amount is manageable, I just don't want to pay it until I get everything settled.

    Context: My neighbor was my workout buddy for the longest time. I had gone to his gym with him for a few years previously at which time I was signed up for a membership under his account. So he had the main account and I was a "child" account. Not an actual child, but the account was under his name, and so he paid for his membership and child accounts, and I paid him.

    I ended up having to cancel that membership for about a year because I got a job that didn't allow for the same workout schedule.

    Cue to when this started in Sept. 2019 after I got a new job and can go back to the gym with him.

    So what happened is that my neighbor had tried to get me added to his account as part of a holiday sign up special(Black Friday I think), but the person he talked to, without informing my neighbor, instead signed me up for my own separate account and mislead him into signing my paperwork for me and adding his payment info to "my" membership.

    Around January, my friend had an identity theft scare and canceled his credit card and got a new email. It wasn't until March when they stopped me from entering the gym unless I payed my gym dues.

    Now I have a membership that I did not authorize that is under my name but I did not actually sign anything for, I didn't personally sign or review any contract agreements, I didn't sign liability forms or anything.

    I didn't want to give my credit card info to anyone unless I personally signed up and reviewed the contract due to having bad experiences with gyms in the past.

    I just don't feel comfortable giving any payment info to anyone about an account that I did not physically sign up for. I was ok paying my neighbor my monthly fees as I had before, but not giving my payment info to them.

    I was in the process of working it out with the gym the very same week in March when COVID-19 started closing everything down, gym stopped answering my calls and emails, and I put it all on ice figuring I'd handle it when COVID-19 got better.

    Well yesterday I receive a call from a debt collector trying to pay the unpaused membership fees. I told him this whole story and he pretty much told me to file identity theft paperwork that needed to implicate my friend who was mislead into thinking he was signing paperwork for his own account, or taking it up with Crunch Fitness.

    I'm not going to accuse my friend of identity theft, so that options out.

    Now the problem is I can't get a hold of anyone at the gym as they're still closed, but I DO NOT want this debt to keep accruing or impact my credit score.

    The gym in question is a pretty big gym that has tons of locations, so this all seems very shoddy for a place like that.

    What are my legal options and is there anything I should consider when moving forward with this? I kind of feel like I could end up needing to get a lawyer or be able to sue or something. Just feels like a breach of contract or protocol.

    submitted by /u/trebory6
    [link] [comments]

    Uncle died of covid, aunt wants to get any money he might have left, leaving their disabled brother in the street

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 10:40 PM PDT

    I am lost and would really appreciate your help.

    My uncle died in California a month ago from covid, he was about 65. He had no children or wife, all his family is in Mexico, but he had a few friends in CA.

    My question is, is there any way for his siblings to have access to his savings and his 401k?

    I am American but have lived most of my life outside the US and don't know much about legal issues. His siblings traveling to the US is no issue but I'm so lost as to where to start looking.

    I have to find this out quickly, as one of my aunts is trying to get hold of the money so she can fund a legal battle in Mexico (uncle scammed dying grandmother out of 8 properties in Mexico and aunt wants to keep them, but this would leave their disabled brother on the street, we're trying to avoid that and have him keep most of the "wealth" and devide the rest between aunt, my father and the children of a deceased aunt).

    submitted by /u/velvetfrogpancakes
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on nanny that wants to sue and keeps on asking for money money for early termination.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 06:09 PM PDT

    We recently had a baby and we've been talking to a nanny couple of months before our baby was born and requested for 4 weeks of service. the conditions were that she would do grocery shopping for us every weekend and make food for us before she leaves on friday and such so that we have food for the weekend. so the first week she comes she buys groceries and then then when the first friday came i had a feeling that she wasn't going to make food for the weekend. so i asked her to do so.

    then as the second week passed she didn't do things we asked her to do (such as not leave the baby on the changing station and walk away because the baby can fall off) and more and more she would just say "its ok~~~~~!!!!!" and since she slept with the baby we feared that she would do things to the baby. so my wife and i didn't ask her too force-ably. then as the second week went on, she spilled coffee into our our freezer and didn't clean it and she would lie about what we promised her.

    so we let her go and she went out screaming saying she'll sue us because we requested her for 4 weeks and only used her for 2.

    now, she is asking for more money for driving for 5.5 hours to get our groceries (which she was supposed to do anyways)

    if she does decide to sue us it would be for 3K and that would mean it'll go to small claims court. oh also, she requested that she ONLY gets paid in cash.

    im sure i was dumb to comply to all these but i was desperate.

    i already called my cpa to pay taxes for hiring her.

    what should i do next?

    i am in California

    edited to add state

    submitted by /u/asdfeg23cvzxc3
    [link] [comments]

    [NJ] AT&T rep added unauthorized cell phone (probably his) to my plan?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 07:15 AM PDT

    My fiancé and I got our own cellphone plan a couple weeks ago. I called *DATA# to check on my plan and noticed a third cell phone. I called AT&T corporate and they confirmed they added the number without authorization. The rep mentioned to us that he changes his cell phone 3x a year.

    We already have the number removed. Is there anything else we should be concerned for? Personal information, credit.. we just don't want something coming back to bite us legally.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/SquankyHomer1
    [link] [comments]

    Mom passed away with more debt than assets, no spouse (NV)

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 10:03 AM PDT

    Hello! Hoping to get some guidance.

    My mom passed away in July and has way more debts than assets. Like maybe $3k in total assets and easily $20k in debt (not including student loans). She didn't leave a will or executor. My understanding is that as next of kin I am the de facto executor.

    I spoke with a "call a lawyer" line and she basically told me to just walk away because I can't settle it. Before this, I called everyone she owes and told them she passed. She had no spouse. I know I'm not responsible for her debts.

    So my question is basically: does that sound right? I can just leave it and won't have anything come at me?

    She passed in NV and I'm in AZ.

    submitted by /u/ladyinarcadia
    [link] [comments]

    Who has right to the ashes, spouse or parent?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 11:53 PM PDT

    My friend passed away a couple weeks ago (while living in California.)

    She and her wife were living with her (the deceased's) mother. After she passed, her wife was devastated and her mother is now making plans behind the wife's back to force her out of the home because the wife is 'too sad' while she (the mom) has to go back to Canada for an emergency.

    Due to the nature of the passing (stroke during surgery, brain bleed to brain death to being let off life support), while the mother and wife agreed how to go about the funeral and to cremate, there wasn't a discussion on who'd keep the ashes long term, because until recently the wife, who is also a friend of mine, assumed that for a semi-longterm period of time, they'd still live together as a family unit.

    Just an hour ago the wife found an envelope, which had paperwork about the permit of keeping the ashes or something on those lines, under the mother's signature. It was done without the wife's knowledge or agreement, but I thought, under Cali law, since there was no will/executor, it should have been up to the spouse and nearest family anyways? (There were no children).

    The wife is devastated and hurting, since she already knew of the plan behind her back to push her out. She wanted to take the ashes with her. Now she's under more distress cause it seems her MIL done all this underhandedly and will take them all to Canada, without even having the balls to talk to her child's surviving spouse.

    What can the wife do? I'm so worried about her and this isn't helping.

    Edit: this apparently double posted so I apologize.

    submitted by /u/make-chan
    [link] [comments]

    Do I potentially have a malpractice suit?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 09:40 PM PDT

    Washington State here. First let me say I'm not excited about the idea of suing this doctor. He seems like an overall good guy. The problem is my quality of life has completely gone upside down since I had this surgery. TLDR at the bottom.

    The back story: in 2017 I decided to get back into ballet. I was working full time and enjoyed being fairly active. I noticed whilst working on my feet and ankles for dance that my left peroneal tendon just sat on top of my bone. I could literally move it back where it should be with my finger, only to have it pop back out when I moved my ankle. I noticed my right ankle sublaxes too, but doesn't stay out of place. I've had weird joint dislocations all my life, but nothing I thought was too severe. I found that my ankle was quite unstable so I decided to get it checked that summer by a local podiatrist. He said my left ankle was the worst case of subluxation he had ever seen. He said he could do a surgery to give me more strength so I would have more stability in dance and less pain (it would get rather sore at times, like at a 6 in pain).

    Things to note; he said it was a straight forward procedure and that he was very confident in it, also that he had never had any failed surgeries. He did not recommend I try physical therapy, as it was a tendon issue and that wouldn't help. I told him I wanted to finish off the dance season before the surgery so we planned it for August 2018 and went ahead with it. The surgery went 'successfully' with 'no complications'. I went through the process of recovering normally to my knowledge. The swelling slowly went down and after a month I could walk with a boot on.

    I noticed at about a month that I couldn't feel the top of my foot over my 2nd to last toe, or the toe itself, and in some places in that area I would feel the touch in my ankle. Also I couldn't feel parts of my ankle near the scar, and some spots in my ankle I felt the touch in that toe. The doctor assured me it's just from the swelling and healing scar.

    Well fastforward to now, 2 years later. There is still a balloon of swelling that literally has never gone down right under the ankle bone that has nerve damage. My toe still has nerve damage. If I stand on my ankle for an hour the whole thing swells and aches (I would say it gets up to an 8 in pain at least 5 days a week). It has less stability than before the surgery. One of the anchors holding my tendon has popped out inside my ankle (you can feel it under the skin, the doctor confirmed this and said in his whole career that has never happened to another one of his patients). The bone is misshapen on the most protruding bit, there's a pea sized ball there now, no idea from the doctor on what happened there. Overall the surgery failed.

    I think this is a very important detail: he put in his notes that the ankle is "progressing well". I repeat, he said it is "progressing well". He told me to my face that he wants to do another surgery to essentially install a brace permanently inside my ankle which would be entirely counter productive to me dancing, said that he'd never had an anchor come out before but mine did, and then wrote down that everything looks good.

    I got a second opinion from a student my primary had with him who previously worked in orthopedics. They agreed that the surgery is a failure and are sending me to an orthopedic ankle/foot specialist to take a look. I'm still waiting for a spot to open up. This student doctor said that he thinks another doctor can fix this failed surgery, but I am so incredibly terrified that another surgery might make it worse. I can at least walk right now. I haven't been able to stand for more than an hour, let alone dance in 2 years. I've gained 40lbs. My anxiety has gotten much worse. I'm in chronic pain. I don't even work anymore.

    One final thing worth mentioning is that through all of this we found out I have HEDS (hypermobile ehlers danlos syndrome) which effects all my connective tissue (joints, tendons, ect) and makes them loose/stretched out/unstable. That is one of the bigger factors I think will play against me in a case. This condition is the reason I needed a surgery, my tendon was completely stretched out.

    TLDR: I figured out my ankle tendon looked out of place, went to a podiatrist, got told I needed surgery, was told it's a straight forward surgery and that the doctor never had a failure, got the surgery, ankle is much worse now 2 years later, doctor said the surgery failed but wrote in his notes it's healing well, doctor said he wants to do an even more invasive surgery, I got a second opinion from my primary care, going to see an orthopedic doctor, life sucks, can't stand more than 1 hour, gained weight, can't work, found out I have H.E.D.S. which might get my case thrown out because it's the reason I needed surgery but also makes the surgery more likely to fail but was not told this before surgery.

    Sorry even the TLDR was really long.

    submitted by /u/anonymoose2therescue
    [link] [comments]

    My guess diagnosed with Ms last Monday disclosed to her job Wednesday and was fired Friday.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    She told her work on Wednesday then on Thursday was asked to provide a doctor's note...on Friday they told her she was a liability to the business and that they did not want her on the floor and sent her home with a mandatory 12 month unpaid leave....then we get an email from loan officer( going through a refinance) saying she got an email from her now former employer saying friday was her last day and is no longer employed.....do we have a case for discrimination and/or wrongful termination? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated thanks!!

    submitted by /u/m6490
    [link] [comments]

    (ON, Canada) I found a note INSIDE my car accusing me of hitting their parked car

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 11:04 PM PDT

    I live in an apartment and rent a covered spot in a large parking lot by the building. Today I found a note on the driver seat of my car. Which is odd because I thought my car was locked, I always lock it. I must have forgotten to because whoever left the note was able to open my driver door and place the note inside on the seat. The note said that I hit and damaged their bumper, and they left a phone number. I inspected my car and the car parked in front of me - no visible damage. Also, I am confident that I never hit any car. I called the number and they did not pick up, however they texted me asking to meet tomorrow. I am worried that this might be a scam. I also feel pretty uneasy about the fact that someone checked my door handle and then let themselves in to leave a note. Rather than just place it on the windshield. The lot is covered so it's not like it could have rained on it. Is what they did a form of breaking and entering, even if my car was accidentally left unlocked? What should my next steps be if I know that I did not hit anyone? There are no cameras in the parking lot as far as I know.

    submitted by /u/Lochnessbestie
    [link] [comments]

    (NY) Past employer challenging marital status to move 401k

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    Hi all! I have a friend from high school who I was talking to today. She recently reached out to old employers of hers to move and consolidate all of her 401ks. Most of her past employers were happy to do so, however there was a bizarre situation at 1:00 company. The woman she was speaking to asked if my friend's husband was approving her to move the funds. My friend has never been married and is currently single. All the times she has filed w-2s and taxes she has been listed as single. My friend said this to the woman, who did not believe her and put up a bit of a fuss. In the end she told my friend that she could fax her a form stating that she was single with a signature. My friend asked to speak to her supervisor, who immediately seemed to be okay with her statement over the phone. Is this unusual? It seems bizarre that the husband would need to approve funds moving for his wife. Maybe it is an antiquated policy that my friend was unaware of? Not sure if this pertains but she works in health administration. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Sweethang190
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment