• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 3, 2020

    Legal Advice - My tenant passed away. Am I required to give her son free reign to access her unit?

    Legal Advice - My tenant passed away. Am I required to give her son free reign to access her unit?


    My tenant passed away. Am I required to give her son free reign to access her unit?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    I own a duplex in Connecticut that I inherited from my grandmother in 2017. I live in the unit that my grandmother used to live in, and the other unit was occupied by her longtime friend who then became my tenant. Sadly, she passed away earlier this week. I knew her for several years and she really was a lovely woman. She paid rent on time and we never had any issues except for when it came to her son. He has substance abuse issues, mental illness and is chronically homeless despite her attempts to help him. He would sometimes come to stay with her over the years and it would always end in turmoil with him stealing from her or her having to deal with the fallout from his excessive drug and alcohol abuse. Then he would usually disappear for several months at a time. From what I hear, they had a difficult time finding him to even tell him his mother had passed.

    After I received word, I immediately had the locks to the unit changed and I already have a Ring doorbell with camera in place. Her son is her only child and heir so I don't have any problems at all with him obtaining her belongings, but I'd much rather have the unit clean out be a highly supervised process with lots of other people present. My fear is that he will get into the unit and then attempt to establish residency as I know he has nowhere else to go. I know that this is likely a very difficult time for him and I'm not trying to be unkind, but with all of the Covid restrictions regarding evictions, I know I'd never be able to get him out and he'd be free to wreak havoc on my property and my life. I saw on the Ring doorbell that he attempted to access the unit today and had a swearing fit when he found it locked. He then called me and I expressed my condolences, but advised him on how I want the apartment cleanout to go. He freaked out saying that my keeping him out of the unit was illegal, he has a right to enter his mother's home and that he was going to call the police (he never did). I admit I don't know much about landlord/tenant laws. She had a month to month tenancy with my grandmother and I just continued the same. Nothing has ever been an issue until now. Am I wrong here? Do I have to give him free access to the unit? Am I within my rights to demand a supervised clean out? I appreciate any help you can give. If it matters, I don't plan on renting the unit again.

    TL;DR My tenant passed away. Her chronically homeless son wants to gain free access to her apartment to clean it out. I'm afraid he will attempt to establish residency so I changed the locks and advised he can only clean out the apartment under supervision. Am I within my rights to demand this?

    submitted by /u/thebestislast
    [link] [comments]

    I'm being fired for following company policy.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:25 AM PDT

    I'm currently working from home because covid. At the beginning of the pandemic our company decided most people should work from home and we could access the on-site resources that we need through the company VPN. A week or so later they sent an e-mail asking us to refrain from using the VPN too much because it wasn't holding the pressure very well. The new policy was to use the VPN only when necessary and just be on our home network for all the rest. I scrupulously followed this policy because lately I have mostly been working on technical reports and rarely needed to access the specific on site resources anyway. Yesterday I was called in by higher management for a "productivity review". I was accused of spending days not working, because I didn't use the VPN for days at a time. Turns out they reviewed everyone's VPN login history, and decided that we weren't logged on the VPN, we weren't working. From what they said I'll probably be terminated for stealing company time. I feel this is particularly unfair since we were asked not to use the VPN when not needed.

    I met all my deadlines and there wasn't any issue with any client. I probably worked even more hours than before because I didn't waste time commuting. Since I've started at this company 12 years ago my performance reviews have always gone very well and I've been promoted regularly.

    I've talked to colleagues and there are five of us in the same situation. We're all over 40 and with high salaries. I think this is a covert way to eliminate "expensive" employees from the payroll. Do I have any recourse? Would it be considered wrongful termination?

    Location: NY

    submitted by /u/WilsonJF
    [link] [comments]

    [NC] A lady in my city is scamming nannies into providing 48-72 hours of childcare, then dipping out and not paying them after. She goes by several aliases online to continue her charade on multiple platforms. How do we go about reporting her/helping the nannies get their earnings?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:35 PM PDT

    [NC] There is an ongoing scam taking place in my greater metropolitan area regarding a woman seeking childcare. Her scam goes as follows: She posts help wanted ads for childcare on various social media platforms and other websites. She typically seeks 48-72 hours of straight childcare coverage for three children, then doesn't pay for it. To continue her scam, she goes by multiple names/aliases. She has scammed many caregivers and especially preys on those who are not native to America. When asked for payment, she comes up with a variety of excuses why she cannot pay and ghosts the nannies.

    Where do we (nanny community) begin? Would the DOL be able to help if it is a private nanny gig? This has happened to many nannies, should we consider a class action law suit? Higher a lawyer?

    Currently we are alerting the community throughout various nanny groups on social media. That's how I found out about this. I personally have not been contacted by this woman, but we have a list of her aliases that she uses to scam others.

    Please help and thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/hypertonica
    [link] [comments]

    My [19F] doctor keeps calling my mom and talking to her about my health

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 06:58 PM PDT

    I live in BC Canada.

    I've been wanting to change doctors for a while now but this has pushed me to do it sooner than later.

    In two recent incidents, my doctor has called my mother and talked to her about my health. Though it doesn't make a difference in my life as I am close with my mom and tell her everything, I feel very uncomfortable with him calling her and potentially doing this to other patients.

    The first call was a couple months ago when he called her and said something along the lines of "I've refilled the prescription for the young one" (paraphrasing). The prescription in question was my birth control, and though I am fortunate to be able to talk to my mom about that stuff (she took me herself to my first appt to get it prescribed), I know a lot of women out there would be punished/in danger if their parents knew they were on birth control.

    The second incident happened today while I was at work. I tested for covid a few days ago and I received a voicemail from my doctor today that it was negative. My mom also received a call from him telling her my test was negative. Again, this doesn't really effect me, but he should not be contacting my mom about my results especially since he left me a voicemail already.

    I'm debating reporting this because I'm pretty sure it's illegal/unethical, but at the same time I know that my doctor is closer with my mom and is (rightfully) assuming that I would not be affected by him talking to her, so I don't necessarily want to have home fired and ruin his life. Plus, like I said I am planning on changing doctors so it's not like this will be a permanent problem.

    What are my options here?

    submitted by /u/Tzemmy
    [link] [comments]

    (Minnesota) Had ridiculous issues with phantom 911 calls through centurylink even with the phone unplugged. I now received a phone bill for $700 that contained a number of directory assistance calls. Legal action possible?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    I've filed complaints with the BBB, AG, and FCC. Had to close/reset service to resolve the prior issue and now after receiving this bill It feels like I'm running out of options here.

    We've literally never placed a single call from that number, let alone 911 or directory assistance calls.

    Is there any legal action available to take here?

    submitted by /u/braaaaanDARSH
    [link] [comments]

    [Iowa] neighbors pit bull got loose ran across the road and bit my friends son which caused him to have 5 staples and a trip to the E.R. We want the neighbor to pay for medical bills but she says she doesn’t have liability. What options do we have or what actions should we take next?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    Live-In worker worked 48-60 hours a week despite contract stating we're supposed to only work for 40 hours. Is this normal?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    My partner and I work as lived-in employees and pull in 48-60 hours a week. Each of us work 48-60 hours a week. We've just been working here for less than a year and get paid $695 biweekly (after tax) for each of us + housing + the usual benefits. My husband and I's combined annual salary is $45,000 for both of us combined before tax.

    This is what our contract says:

    [OP & partner] will work forty (40) hours per week as scheduled. [OP & partner] will be required to be on-call to service the needs of the tenants on site and to deal with any emergencies on site that may occur after hours, on weekends, and/or on holidays.

    Note that [OP & partner] are not entitled to overtime in accordance with the applicable provincial minimum employment standards legislation.

    Thing is: their "on-call service" is very vague (no additional footnote as to what constitutes an emergency) and we've often been reprimanded with the "customer is always right" when dismissing tenants knocking on our units to fix their lightbulb, screw in a leak, or to tell their neighbour to keep quiet.

    This on-call service is on top of the 48-60 hours each of us work a week. For reference, we live in Ontario, Canada. Is this normal if we're lived-in employees? If not, is it worth taking legal action against a huge company?

    submitted by /u/Similar-Jacket8974
    [link] [comments]

    Tenant’s ggressive “service dog” lunges at me

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    The gist of this is pretty much in the title. I'm a property manager in the state of Florida and today one of my tenant's "services dog" (no specified reason for it) lunged at me and had to be tackled to the floor by its two owners, held down, and drug out of the room to prevent me being attacked. Our lease agreement stated no pets, they claim to have had no pets. They had snuck the dog in during the first month they moved in though, but they had locked it in a different room every time I came by, So I could collect no actual proof before now; the courts have been closed for corona until two days ago, so we had not bothered with a notice.Anyway. One owner invited me in to look at an issue they were having with the stove, while the other held the dog by the collar in the kitchen. It was a large German Shepherd, and the moment I stepped into the kitchen it lunged at me, growling and barking. It pulled loose from the woman holding him, But female tenant was between the dog and me, and tackled it to the floor. The woman had to practically sit on the dog while the man drug it across the house to walk in a bedroom. After this incident, they kept saying how it was a service dog, they had gotten online and paid the hundred dollar fee, and that was it. I went out to my car and filled out a notice to cure, and as I was giving it to them she found the email From the site she registered the dog on. The email stated that the dog had only been registered as a service dog since sometime in August of this year, But they have had the animal in the house for at least three-four months. I intend on making a report with animal control when they open in the morning, but this dog is a threat and liability and I don't know what steps I can take against this "service dog"? I asked them to provide a statement from the doctor saying the animal was medically necessary and got no real response about if she would. Sorry for formatting, I'm on mobile, and to be super clear, we have zero issues with legitimate service animals and making accommodations for them! It's just that this animal is a service dog Soley because they paid $100 to the state a couple of weeks ago and I truly believe that it would attack anyone it could if it ever got out of their control.

    submitted by /u/AutumnAlec
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way I can get in contact with my son who was adopted without my consent?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:35 AM PDT

    The adoption was closed and possibly occurred illegally but definitely without my consent or knowledge while I was a minor. I was told the baby had died. I don't have a lot of information about what happened. I don't have any proof the adoption was without my consent. Are there any legal avenues that could at least get me in contact with his adoptive parents or do I have to wait until he's 18? I live in Ohio and he was born here.

    submitted by /u/thatrandomshoelace
    [link] [comments]

    Employer has been stealing wages and COVID loans / PPP to launder money to a family member. He gifted me an iPad that is full of detailed evidence. What now?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:17 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Bear with me, this has been a continuing mess since COVID hit.

    My employer has two small businesses in two different US states. He started the second business a few years ago, and at that point scouted me and asked me to take over running his original location. I run all of the day to day operations at the location, but do not have any equity or partnership stake, and the financials have always been one combined business checking account. He is a notoriously challenging person to work with in our field and has bad relations with all of his former employees, but we have always been able to strike a middle ground and have had a very close mentor relationship.

    Until, that is, the pandemic. My location is in one of the worst hit COVID regions, and his is in one of the best, so the pandemic effected our locations very differently. While he was less majorly impacted, I had to pivot to a much less profitable model to stay open (under his guidance) and the location's margins have been slashed. Meanwhile, his location has been able to resume its original model and is more profitable than either of the two have ever been. The gap in the two locations' financial situations caused him to decide that I would figure this out better with "more skin in the game," and said he would be separating the finances into two separate accounts and I would be responsible for mine and he for his. He also said my payroll may be heavily affected by not having enough gross income to afford it, even though he skewed the two accounts (I know now as of today) where mine contained 3.57% the amount that his did. Still, I asked what that meant in terms of equity, and was told still no equity, but that I would be (somehow) solely liable financially.

    During this period (a few months ago now) he also told me that since I have been managing his business here, he has been paying a family member of his, A, whom I have never met, a full time salary with health benefits, and that with splitting the accounts A would be added onto mine, not his. I was shocked, as I have not been able to "afford" to hire another employee since before COVID, not knowing we were paying a phantom employee to claim they were working full time at the business that I manage.

    Now 6 weeks ago, I open my paycheck and my pay (which was never very high to begin with) has been cut to half of federal minimum wage without notice. An annual salary of under $7,000, when I work between 45-75 hours a week. He said earlier repeatedly that we were denied PPP coverage and if he took away my salary I could just work harder to make more revenue, and cut myself checks weekly to complete my salary. All of this sounded incredibly fishy and I felt like I needed to find legal counsel on how to proceed, and then found this today:

    He left me a few iPads for me to use for the business (to connect to squarecash etc.) He connected them to his cloud because he couldn't be bothered to find the login information for some of the apps on it and told me I could keep or sell them, they were mine to do with what I please. As I've been trying to compile what I need to show an attorney if I go that route, I fired one up and it is FULL of HUNDREDS of messages with A outlining an ARRAY of illegal activity, including diverting the PPP that we *did* in fact receive solely to A (literally messages saying "Good news, I got the PPP. It's all for you. Just give me a few weeks and I can start getting it to you"), reallocating tens of thousands of dollars out of revenue to their joint account, and even buying the A a HOUSE under the LLC's name using a government COVID loan for close to $200,000. There are also images of many tax documents where they are sorting out how to lie about fake employment details to get A additional unemployment from us (A makes etsy type crafts as primary income, and seems to make decent money off of it, more than I have ever made), debating the number of hours to pretend A is working, lying about financial documents to preserve the timeline of the loans and the purchases, amongst many other documents.

    Is this even usable to submit to a lawyer? If he gave me the device, and connected it to his cloud, I don't know if you'd still need a warrant to use them legally or something?

    I found an attorney through some professional connections, but is this something I want to take on? I want this situation to be resolved and stop him from doing it to future employees, but this seems like it will be a mess and I don't know if I want to commit to it financially, emotionally, and professionally.

    Basically, I don't even really understand what my options are let alone what's the smartest thing to do right now to protect myself, get back the money that I'm owed, and get out and far away from this situation. Somebody please help!

    ETA:

    Typing this out / reading it back I feel like I probably sound at least a little stupid. Just wanted to reiterate that not only has this person been a mentor to me, but that I have a team of people working beneath me and until I saw all of this evidence and the extent of it, I thought there could be a reality in which I could handle this without costing them their jobs. They've since been made aware, confidentially, that we will not be continuing business after this month and that I will help them with resources to locate new employment.

    submitted by /u/throwawayadvice5620
    [link] [comments]

    County wants to commit my brother for life

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:24 AM PDT

    My brother has schizoaffective disorder. With a doctors help we got him off of a really bad medicine that was ruining his health and life. It's usually used as a last ditch effort for patients with his condition and has even been banned, but the last time he went to the mental ward they put him on it.

    While coming off it he had withdrawals, started having hallucinations and other issues such as not sleeping. When he refused to put clothes on his dad lost patience and called an ambulance.

    They transferred him to another hospital, and now they want to have him committed for life. He is a healthy, functioning person when his meds are right, and this is wrong. We tried to get the public defender to take his case, but they represent the county!! We told the hospital they need to talk to his regular physician, but after they played phone tag, the SOCIAL WORKER decided he needed to be committed. Not a medical doctor, someone who has never even worked with my brother before. Now we can't even get him out of the hospital because they had a lawyer put a hold on him. We are trying to find a mental health lawyer who can take his case, but I just don't know what to do. He's 36, and doesn't deserve to be put on lithium and have his brain rotted so they can make money off him.

    He had a moment of clarity the other day, and we were talking to him on the phone. He said "please, don't let them commit me, I know what they're trying to do" and the nurse grabbed the phone, and you could just hear him saying "no no no no" in the background.

    Please, any help would be amazing. I don't know what to do.

    Edit: People have pointed out that commitments aren't for life, but we still would prefer he isn't committed.

    The medicine he was on was Clozapine, which was banned in Europe.

    We have not yet found a lawyer but are trying to.

    Hearing is tomorrow

    submitted by /u/ChimericalPhoenix
    [link] [comments]

    My brother's service dog was refused in a restaurant.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    This is in Texas, video was recording the manager refused to answer questions everything is on video. I already recorded their service dog policy which states they allow service dogs. We were refused service and my brother suffers from seizures. What can we do?

    Edit: Talked to some officers who helped point us in the right direction, I appreciate the resources that were provided and they have been a great use!

    submitted by /u/FE4R3D
    [link] [comments]

    Employer is reducing salary as they want to hire additional people. Is this legal?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    Today I was verbally notified that my salary will have a reduction effective 10/3/2020. I hold a management position and the reduction is $5 per hour (which is way below average salary in our area). I was told the reason for the reduction is because they want to hire additional resources that would benefit the company. They asked me to give a response by the end of the week (tomorrow). I really cannot afford this pay reduction and if I was to quit, they would need to hire a new manager and it will be very difficult to find someone that would take the job with the reduced salary. If I refuse the salary reduction and they fire me what legal options would I have?

    I am in California, Los Angeles County

    submitted by /u/its_chely
    [link] [comments]

    Attorney handling will refusing to communicate with beneficiary

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    My boyfriends friend(D) died in January and left him a vehicle in his will(we are located in New Orleans. LA). D's daughter was named executor of the will. The daughter cut off all forms of communication with us after the death. We are in posession of the vehicle and the original copy of the will, as we were living with and caring for D in the months preceding his death. We have been unable to contact the attorney handling the will to go about the probate process and obtain the title(which the daughter took from D before his death without our knowledge) of the vehicle. We have called, emailed, and tried to go to his office address which appears to be an apartment building. Attorney has been suspended in the past for violating the rules of professional conduct(competence, diligence, and communication.) How do we proceed?

    submitted by /u/juniper726
    [link] [comments]

    Family member forged their kids immunization records, how to proceed?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    (California)Not sure how to go about this. I found out accidentally several weeks ago that my sister-in-law had her friend(that worked at a clinic) fake immunization records for their kids. All the families involved are very close, but I can't get over the fact that someone is putting other kids in danger.

    How would I go about handling this as discreet and Anonymous as possible?

    submitted by /u/DontCareHowUF33L
    [link] [comments]

    Venue loud music 5 nights a week past 1am

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 05:00 PM PDT

    A music venue has popped up in our neighborhood. At first there was live music 1-2 nights a week and we thought "that's nice for the neighborhood"

    Recently they've really gotten out of control and play (very) loud live music at least 5 nights a week, every week, often until 1am. We've measured 80db in our bedroom. It went from being a nice addition to the neighborhood to making it impossible to live here. Most homes in our neighborhood are 100 years old.

    We've tried a bunch of things: calling to ask the owner nicely to turn it down, reporting it, etc. but nothing works. What are our options here? Do we just have to move now if we don't like it?

    submitted by /u/kdmartin
    [link] [comments]

    My (17F) Older sister (20F) is spreading inappropriate pictures of my younger sister (14F) online

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:28 PM PDT

    I only made this account to post this and I've been told to post on this sub instead so im copy pasting it here. my family members use reddit so I'll be deleting this soon since it's a sensitive subject.

    My younger sister (who ill call K) came to me upset about how her friend told her that somehow she's received some inappropriate pictures of her.

    After some digging we've discovered that my older sister (who ill be calling H) has been secretly taking pictures of K getting changed in the past because she didn't have a lock and has been sending them out to all kinds of people from younger girls to old men.

    I am not in contact with H so I don't understand why on earth would she do something like this. Right now K stole Hs phone and is trying to delete all the pictures she has stored in there while crying.

    Help what do I do?? Can I even do anything?? And since this is a legal matter it might help to include im from the ME and Im not sure what laws we have around here for stuff like this.

    Update: K just told me she found some pictures of the same nature of my 15 year old brother ???? H shared a room with a bunch of my siblings in the past (who are all minors) including me so this is getting even worse

    submitted by /u/throwRA-sistershelp
    [link] [comments]

    Wife and I have been separated for a year divorce is in the works (waiting to be served) and she got pregnant with another man's child.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    My question is, is there any grounds that she can take me for child support since we're still technically married, but have filed for divorce. It's 110% not my child, and she isn't claiming it to be but I just want to make sure the court isn't going to try to do anything with it. I live in PA and she lives in NJ.

    submitted by /u/Lokarash
    [link] [comments]

    After investigation regarding my claim of unauthorized use on a credit card, I am being held responsible for the charges in question.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    (I apologize if this is trivial but I really need to hear some opinions on this because this is the first time something like this has happened to me.)

    A couple weeks ago, someone hacked into my BestBuy.com account and used my Best Buy credit card to purchase 4 items going to different locations. For reference, I live in Iowa and these purchases were going to Washington, Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. 2 of the items got cancelled but the other 2 were pending. I noticed about and hour after because that's when I checked my email and all my emails showed up. I immediately called Citibank to report the fraud and I tried to cancel my card but the person on the other end persuaded me to just get a new card in the mail. She documented the fraud and assured me that I won't have to pay for those charges. While I was on the phone with Citibank to report the unauthorized charges, I was online with Best Buy chat to explain that I have fraudulent charges made on my account and that 2 of the items were still pending. I told them to cancel the pending orders and to make sure those items don't get shipped out. The person on the chat told me that they can't do anything about the pending orders because they're already being processed for shipping but "a dedicated team who will check the order and make sure that the item will not be shipped." I left it at that thinking that the items won't get shipped. About an hour later, I get an email saying one of the items have been shipped. I tried calling Best Buy Customer Service to let them know about the chat I had with the person online and how they assured me that the items won't get shipped as well as if they can do anything about making sure if the other item doesn't get shipped but the answer I got was that they couldn't do anything about it. They said as long as I filed my claim with the Citibank, then I shouldn't have to worry about the charges. The last item got shipped later that night.

    Fast forward to today, I get a letter from Best Buy saying that they reviewed my claim of unauthorized use and "based on our review, we have determined that you are responsible for the charges in question." Their reasoning was "The facts and/or information reviewed as of the investigation does not substantiate the claim of unauthorized use."

    Here are my two questions: 1. Is it possible to further dispute this? Do you think showing them transcript/receipt I have on the Best Buy Chat log asking to cancel the items and making sure they don't get shipped will be enough to change their decision? 2. If Citibank doesn't budge, can I file a claim with my actual bank (US Bank) that I would be paying off the Best Buy credit card?

    I just don't want to make a payment on something I didn't buy and I'm super pissed at myself for keeping a card on file on BestBuy.com (and getting hacked). I should've just cancelled my card when I had the chance.

    Please let me know what your thoughts are! Anything is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

    (Yes, I already changed my BestBuy.com password and got rid of the card info on it.)

    submitted by /u/al0ejuice
    [link] [comments]

    Question on the charge of soliciting a prostitute

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:30 PM PDT

    I've seen a couple posts like this on this sub but I haven't seen anything that is very similar to mine so I wanted to make this post because I am kinda freaking out that I could get in trouble. I was pretty stupid today and went on a website where escorts were advertising them themselves and spent awhile texting a few, basically just talking about what they offer.

    I had no intention to actually meet up with anyone because of Covid but I was just being stupid and lonely and just kept texting them for awhile. I didn't make any agreements of meeting up and I didn't make any concrete agreements of agreeing to pay for sex, at least I think. There may have been some language that could be interpreted that way.

    I was using a text message app, not my normal phone number. I was texting with quite a few of them asking questions about their services and asking for pictures of themselves. Most responded with their hourly rate and I didn't respond but with one I said "ok" and then a few minutes later said nevermind. Also with a few I asked more specific questions about what they would or would not do.

    So my question is, do I have anything to worry about? My worry is that one or more of them could've been a police sting and I am worried about the soliciting charge. Since I used that app, it is not immediately traceable to my real cell phone but with a subpoena they could get that information. Are they willing to go to those lengths for something like this? I have never done anything like this and I am worried I made a huge mistake...I certainly I am not going to do this again but I am worried it's too late...so any advice or thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Throwaway51394
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor's landscaper drove onto our yard and broke part of our fence (Ohio)

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:01 PM PDT

    We live in Ohio. My husband and I came home from work today to discover that our neighbor's landscaper drove through our front yard and backed their truck into our split-rail fence. The fence is brand new - we installed it ourselves over the last month. The truck shattered the corner post and pushed the rest of the entire fence line out of plumb; it also left deep trenches in our grass and ruined our front lawn. Our neighbor is apologetic; we called the landscaper, who insists that our neighbor is responsible for all damages since he signed a waiver (the text reads: "I understand that [company] is not responsible for any damage caused. If the truck becomes stuck, I am responsible for calling and paying for a tow truck to remove the truck from the yard. I am also responsible for the repairs to my property. [The company] will NOT pay to repair any damage.") At no point did we give permission - either to our neighbor or to the landscaper - to enter onto our property. We have security footage of the truck driving through our yard and gouging our grass. What should we do from here? We'd obviously like the damage to our yard repaired, the damaged post replaced, and the rest of the fence line realigned and secured.

    submitted by /u/cloissa
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment company wants old tenants to replace carpet in a apartment that will no longer have carpet in all rooms

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    This is really my first time making a post so please forgive me for any mistakes. In 2015 my family moved into a apartment complex in Mesquite, Texas. After two years living at the complex, the apartment was bought by another company. The new company completely remodeled the entire apartment complex to a more modern look. The apartments went from having tan carpet in every room but the bathrooms and kitchen to having gray wood/linoleum tiles in the living room, bathrooms and kitchen. The only place there would be carpet in the new modeled apartments would be the bedrooms and closets. We recently moved out of the apartments in 2020 and the company sent me a bill for $1400 to replace the carpet for the apartment. I feel like they are trying to make me pay for the remodeling of the apartment I lived in from the old to the new look. Is this legal in Texas?

    submitted by /u/CriticalMunchkin
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord wants full months rent but relinquish house early (Ohio)

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 06:07 AM PDT

    My wife and I rent a house in Ohio. Our lease stated that our lease lasted 12 months, then went month-to-month following that term. We rented the house for nearly two years. Mid last month we decided to move. We found a prospective home and notified our landlord that we were applying for a rental home, and that he may be receiving a call from someone for rental history references, and that even if we were approved for the home we would be renting out his home through September to allow us to move out slowly and to allow him some extra time to find a tenant given the current state of the world. He was livid and called us threatening to evict us for putting him in such a bind. We informed him that regardless of what happened we planned on moving out in September. The house worked out and we confirmed with him that we would indeed be moving out. We said we planned to move slowly throughout September because we are both very busy, but he was welcome to show the house whenever he like.

    He found a tenant already, and asked that we move out as quickly as possible so that he can come in and make some repairs he'd been wanting to make to the house and get it ready for the next tenant, who is moving in Oct 1. We said that was fine, and moved up our timeline. Yesterday (our rent is due today), we realized we weren't sure how much we were supposed to pay this month since we were technically moving out earlier at his request. So we texted and asked him if he was planning on prorating the rent for this month to whenever he takes control to fix up the house for the next tenant, or if he wanted to prorate it to 30 days from when we confirmed that we were moving, as we weren't sure what his procedure for that was since he had put us in a weird spot at that point. He texted us this morning berating us and saying we were inconsiderate for even asking. That we needed to pay rent for the entire month, because otherwise he was losing money, and that he needed us out early to prep the house for the next tenant so he didn't lose money.

    So my wife and I are unsure what we are supposed to do from a legal standpoint. Do we relinquish the house to him before the end of the month (he wants us to move out this week), but still pay the entire months rent? I have never had a landlord want to prep the house for someone else while I am still technically paying rent before, and it seems like that could get me in trouble, as I feel like that would leave me responsible for any damages that occur while he's fixing things since that's still technically covered in the amount of rent I've paid for the month.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as we are at a loss as to what is the proper course of action here.

    submitted by /u/-NickNax-
    [link] [comments]

    EMS Repeats Detailed Dispatch Call about Medical Emergency

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 08:46 PM PDT

    I obviously don't know if this is a HIPPA violation, hence why I am asking.

    So a few months ago, my brother overdosed at our family home. We called 911 to assist and send medical personnel, and in doing so, we gave 911 Dispatch his name, DOB, and obviously, our address.

    His addiction is not something shared with extended family, as it is something he wishes to keep private. However, a relative of ours is an EMS worker, and heard the radio call with all of his personal information, including why an ambulance and EMS was needed, because my brother was ODing.

    The relative did not respond to the call, but instead called family members and told them of the call. This was a ripple effect, and soon, several family members were aware. These same family members, as we're watching our loved one be rushed out on a stretcher, decided it was a great time to call us repeatedly to demand to know what was going on. Since then, we've had a lot of family drama and issues, stemming from this incident. Obviously that is another beast, but I would like to know for the future, as my brothers addiction is an ongoing battle:

    Did the relative who was an EMS worker violate HIPPA, even though they didn't respond to the call?

    I've tried to research but cannot find anything. Please let me know your thoughts/advice. TYIA!

    submitted by /u/Tangerine_Extreme
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment