• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 26, 2020

    Legal Advice - [UPDATE] (New York) Not even divorced yet, can I get my daughter away from my wife who is letting a stranger sleep in the same bed with my 3 year old daughter?

    Legal Advice - [UPDATE] (New York) Not even divorced yet, can I get my daughter away from my wife who is letting a stranger sleep in the same bed with my 3 year old daughter?


    [UPDATE] (New York) Not even divorced yet, can I get my daughter away from my wife who is letting a stranger sleep in the same bed with my 3 year old daughter?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 07:57 AM PDT

    Original Post Here for reference - https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/huymzd/new_york_not_even_divorced_yet_can_i_get_my/

    I just want to thank everyone for the advice at the time. My post got more attention than I expected. The day after my post, my lawyer submitted an emergency motion for custody transfer to me. Before I even got an answer, I decided to just keep my daughter since no agreement was in place. Asked my lawyer if I could get in trouble for doing that and he said "the dude is fucking sleeping in bed with your daughter, I say go for it. I will handle anything else". So few days later, we got the judge to sign off on the custody transfer to me. A week ago, my wife's lawyer sent over a proposal to allow her to have two unsupervised 3 hour days with my daughter and I agreed. Find out yesterday she violated the court order on her second day back with my daughter and allowed her to interact with this gentleman. The court order made it very clear that my daughter was not to see or interact with him in any capacity. So now my lawyer is informed about that, and I am basically just waiting for an answer as to what will happen next.

    Again, want to thank everyone for their advice, kind words through private messages, and support through what is undoubtedly the most difficult time in my entire life.

    PS- She has retaliated by calling CPS on me and telling lawyers I am abusive to my daughter, which is obviously a lie. She is my sunshine in an otherwise dark world and I would never hurt her. I know she is safe with me.

    EDIT- Fuck me! I never expected this to blow up like it did. Everyone's messages really touched my heart. I just want to make a blanket statement. You are all absolutely amazing. A lot of the messages made me cry. You've all restored my faith in humanity when I needed it the most. I hope I didn't miss any replies

    submitted by /u/Doct0rAcula
    [link] [comments]

    My estranged schizophrenic mom keeps posting legal documents on Facebook and Instagram that include information about trust funds and inheritances that I'm a part of, and I don't feel comfortable with them being posted

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 04:42 AM PDT

    Is there anything I can do to get this stuff off of social media? It's ridiculous some of the shit I see when I go look at her page. She posted a bunch of information from a trust that I'm a part of, and some of the sentences she highlights are concerning. She posted one such legal document that was trust fund information about money I will either inherit or have given to me at some age (I have no idea because I try to just ignore that and live my life like I have zero money coming to me later in life, because for all I know my mom will figure out a way to take it all anyways). It has my full name written multiple times, and the thing that is concerning is she highlighted a segment that says "In the event of the death of u/abstractivities" and I just have no fucking idea where her mind is at when she's highlighting stuff like that. She's posted stuff accusing my family of encouraging my cousin to commit suicide, saying my grandparents should be charged with manslaughter because my cousin committed suicide at his apartment at his college a couple years ago. She's hinted that they're trying to do the same to me, and my guess is that's why she's posted the stuff with the "In the event of death" verbiage. But this doesn't feel right, this doesn't feel like stuff that should be legal to just post everywhere for the world to see. Is there anything I can do? She also regularly posts police reports and complaints she's filed against various people, though I doubt it's illegal to post complaints filed with the police. She also posts documents from my parents divorce which happened more than 10 years ago, and she's just absolutely unhinged. I don't feel safe having her post some of this shit. She's reckless. She posted a video of her credit card getting declined because she thinks my grandparents are behind it and in the video she shows her fucking credit card to the camera. This is the behavior of an absolute nutjob, and I don't feel comfortable with that psycho posting documents with my information on it, what if she has documents that have my social security number on it and she posts stuff like that?

    So yeah, is there any legal action I can take to get her to stop posting this stuff, or do I just have to keep an eye out and hope she doesn't post anything that could actually screw me over? She's addicted to lawyers (went bankrupt and forced my grandparents to make it go away because she owed her divorce attorney over $200k after drawing out my parents' divorce for 10 years. Yes, she made my parents' divorce last 10 entire years despite my dad trying to split everything to just be done with it for years prior to it actually finalizing), she's addicted to courtrooms, she's addicted to suing, I don't feel comfortable with her posting anything with my name on it.

    She's also constantly slandering my grandparents, and their business, and making insane claims like they're hiding a billion dollars in secret accounts, she posts pictures of legal documents for my grandparent's company thinking she has dirt on them. It's obviously not the main content of this post, but is there anything my grandparents can do to make that stop? I am assuming it just falls under freedom of speech, but I don't understand anything about how slandering works, so maybe someone can give me some clarity on that too. She literally posted "[my grandpa's full name] should be charged with 3rd degree manslaughter for the death of [my cousin's full name]" last week. Absolutely disgusting, my grandparents are still grieving even though it's been a couple years, and my mom uses my cousin's suicide as a weapon.

    Also for locations, I live in California, so does my dad, and most of the legal documents are from courts in California, but she lives in New York currently. My grandparents live in Oregon.

    submitted by /u/AbstrActivities
    [link] [comments]

    The people I babysat for put me on their taxes. (SC)

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    I don't know if you saw my last post about how the people I babysat for owe me $600. But I'm the same person from that and back in December when I first started watching the kid I was only paid twice ($6/h) in the month of December. And the kids mom asked for my full name so she could put me on her income taxes. But she most definitely does not pay me taxes, OR minimum wage. Also she says when she put my last name in, that it got changed to Hay (which is NOT my last name) so I'm guessing she just has some random person that doesn't exist on her taxes. Is this enough to report her to the IRS?

    Also they blocked my number about asking for my money, or I'm taking them to small claims court. So I guess it's my only option now to take them to SCC

    submitted by /u/trashawaayyy
    [link] [comments]

    A man who used to run the computer repair store is sending my naked photos back to me, five years later.

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    I don't know where to start with this, so please bare with me.

    I'm a 27 year old married woman, and I have known the man who previously ran an apple repair store since I was 11. He was a friend of my fathers.

    My family has had apple products over the years, so after I moved out, I continued to use that store for my repairs as I felt comfortable with the man. He was always very honest about my repairs for my laptop.

    I have him on my Facebook, as he is a photographer and I still consider him a vague family friend.

    Last night, I posted a photo of my cat. He commented back saying "keep going, I dare you. It's not like I've had your hard drive in my possession over the years." I was very confused.

    I get a private message of a naked photo of me from roughly 7 years ago. I am floored - how did he have this? I no longer had this.

    He told me that my secret is safe with him, and it was a "hot photo", but "big brother is watching". And that I need to be careful of what I do online. He apologised and said he sent that photo for shock value, to make me realise nothing is safe. Then repeated "hot photo".

    He also told me that even though he no longer works for the apple repair place, he still has access to the database and had to do a bit of digging to find these photos.

    I am heartbroken and I feel violated. Is there anything I can do? All I did was take my laptop in for repairs a few years ago, and now he (and I am assuming all of the other workers) have access to my nudes, and my private information.

    submitted by /u/ripleylien
    [link] [comments]

    (Oklahoma) My mom, a maid, cleaned the house of a new client who stole $800 from her purse while she was in another room. She's afraid of calling the cops because she's undocumented.

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 06:40 PM PDT

    The client in question is one of her friends clients, who is on vacation and unwilling to do anything as of right now. What is the best legal recourse for this sort of thing?

    submitted by /u/casanoval
    [link] [comments]

    My [20f] mom [45f] had joined a cult and I want to take my sister [17f] with me. We're in Michigan right now

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 06:27 AM PDT

    My mom is a Wiccan and has always been kind of a free spirit. My dad was more of a traditional outdoorsman. We've spent a lot of time on the road and have been living in an RV, full time for the past 5 years. Two years ago dad was hit by a drink driver crossing the street. It basically destroyed my mom. My parents aren't great and my dad was an asshole but he kept us out of trouble. Now he's gone.

    Mom is definitely got us into a cult. IDK how she met these people but they've basically taken over our lives. The "leader" is clearly just accumulating followers for sex, drugs and money. He's banned the use of "screens" (cell phones/computers), bras, shoes and demand that women wear dresses/skirts at camp. He says this makes us "closer to Gaia". He's threw away my only bra, all my pants and shoes (expect 1) a few weeks ago. He clearly has a "type" of girl he likes. I think he only recruited my mom to get at my sister and I.

    We're currently way out in the middle of nowhere so, there's not really a shelter or anything near by. The nearest towns don't even really have anything and the police are basically useless (I've already tried)

    I have a job and apartment lined up in Ohio with a friend I met a long time ago and kept on touch with. I also have about $5,000 + supplies hidden at camp. I don't dare go near it until I decide to leave because I don't want to get found out. I've been saving since before dad died.

    I'm worried I'm running out of time to get out. Things have started to get violent. My sister turns 18 in a month but I know I can't leave her and mom has started multiple times "this is a great place for you AND your sister" and threatened to report me for kidnapping if I took her.

    Some of my ideas:

    1. We go "camping" and keep moving until her 18th birthday. One thing dad tonight is was how to rough it. We could just disappear until then

    2. if that's STILL kidnapping. I could always just give her some of the money I have, because she's my sister and a love her. she could buy a bus ticket and not tell anyone... Not my idea...

    3. I just take her and run. Fuck the rules. We just pack up the car and leave

    submitted by /u/SandwichKraft
    [link] [comments]

    Am I getting scammed with the escalator clause [WA]? Can I back out? What are my rights?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    Hello, I am a first time home buyer, and I found my agent through a realty website, where they reached out to me when I expressed interest in buying a home. Everything was going well, until just now,

    There is a place for sale for x$, and my agent told me that the escalator clause will help me get an edge in this competitive market, so I set one around 10k+ the listing price in case there are other offers. Now, I was just told by my agent that there was a competing offer that was coincidentally the same as my escalator limit and that if I add 5k to that, they will just accept my offer.

    I told them no because I was trying to stay within my budget, and my agent said that they will try to negotiate more to win me the place. An hour later, they call me back saying that they won me the place; however, they want me to sign a NEW offer letter without the escalator clause with the sale price as the same as my escalator limit.

    This was very fishy to me because, with the escalator clause, the seller must provide the competing offer that triggered my escalator. But now they want me to get rid of that? This seems like a scam. And frankly, I do not want to even buy this property for the listing price because of my morals. I know that the initial offer is binding, but given the chance that they will go back down to my listing price, am I allowed to back down?

    I appreciate your time, and please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

    *Update

    Apparently, they also had an offer the same as mine but the competing offer had 5k higher escalation limit but their escalation increment was lower than mine. I had stronger finances with more 20% down compared to the 3%, so they decided that my offer was stronger even though they will pay a little more. What can I do? I still feel like I am being scammed here...

    **Update

    My agent sent me the withdrawal form, and I signed it. The seller hasn't signed my offer yet, so I heard this isn't legally binding yet. Am I ok now?

    submitted by /u/Wheel-Witty
    [link] [comments]

    PG County, Maryland - My roots have clogged a drain the county says isn't theirs but everyone else says is; what do? (Trees tangentially involved!)

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I posted about a piece of abandoned infrastructure in my Prince George's County, Maryland yard last year, a clogged storm drain that we can't get any agency to take responsibility for. You can view the previous post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/bo8ncu/what\_kind\_of\_lawyer\_can\_help\_me\_address\_abandoned/?utm\_source=share&utm\_medium=web2x&context=3

    Previous TL;DR is that we have a manhole cistern in our front yard which is backed up, causes flooding and water issues all over the yard and basement. The county, water utility, and town all say the storm drain doesn't belong to them and they can't help us. Private plumbers also will not touch the drain because they are sure it's county property (this seems to be the consensus from everyone but the county, for whatever that's worth) and as homeowners we can't authorize work on their infrastructure. There are no easements on our land and no one seems to have a record of this storm drain even existing, though we know that it leads into a larger storm main down the street which is receiving no water from our pipe.

    Okay! So! We just had some plumbers out who agreed to snake this drain. They also very kindly opened up the manhole down the street so we now have photo evidence of the clog and our pipe's connection to the storm main that the county WILL actually admit to being responsible for. When they snaked the cistern and pipe, they hit a huge snarl of roots right in front of a large tree in our front yard. The snake couldn't get past the roots and it's clear that water isn't, either, causing most of our problems.

    As I said, thanks to those plumbers we have some more photo evidence we can take to PG County which will hopefully demonstrate our manhole is connected to their system. My question is this: if our tree's roots have clogged county property, how does that play out? Are we now somehow responsible for removing the (truly huge) tree and its roots? I don't see how we could do that since no private company is willing to work on this for us. Would we be liable for somehow damaging county property?

    I'm ready to really start pestering the county hard for some resolution, but these roots are giving me pause. I'm quite risk-averse and don't really want to bring this to the county's attention if we could somehow get in trouble for our aggressive trees! If the tree does have to be removed for the health of the drain, is that something the county would have to pay for, or are we stuck with that bill?

    TL;DR: My tree roots have blocked a (probably) county drain they say isn't theirs. Who is responsible for getting this cleared, and will we get in trouble for our tree creating the blockage?

    Thanks so much for any advice you can provide! This sub has never let me down and I really appreciate y'all.

    submitted by /u/yardsoakedlikewoah
    [link] [comments]

    My phone provider refuses to adequately reimburse, suspend, or cancel my phone plan. I can't make calls due to a technical issue on their part (Canada).

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    My family is on a 24 month family contract with a phone company (we have 7 months left). We live in a large city, but haven't been able to get cell service to certain areas of our house at first, then anywhere in the house, then anywhere in the backyard. We fall under their coverage map.

    We've raised this issue with them on October 2019, and since then they have escalated it to their technical team but have not been able to resolve it. After worsened cell service (unable to call from backyard), I've called back in August 2020 only to be offered $100 as reimbursement for not being able to make phone calls on any of the devices, from anywhere in our home or backyard over the past 11+ months. They admit that their technical team has been notified, but there is "nothing they can do". When asked about the timeline for getting this fixed, the response was that they don't know.

    For context, we pay ~$400/month for 4 devices. I didn't accept the $100 offer and I'm wondering if mobile providers are obligated to fix issues on their end. They also did not want to cancel the rest of the contract fees for us to switch providers. This means that we have to pay ~$400 a month, for 7 more months, for broken mobile service.

    TLDR: If a mobile provider has a technical issue on their end which results in me not getting the service promised, is the contract considered void? What rights do I have as a consumer?

    submitted by /u/InCoffeeWeTrust
    [link] [comments]

    [Arizona/Washington] I just found out my daughter was molested by her father. I don't know what I am supposed to do next.

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    I (35f) have been separated from my daughter's (10f) father (42m) for nine years. I currently live in Arizona while he resides in Washington. My daughter lives with me and visits him during holidays (we alternate), school breaks, and for one month in the summer.

    It's been difficult sending her to see him because she always cries and says she's scared of him. Whenever I talk to my lawyer, she always tells me "there's nothing you can do." This is always her response. Whether it's about back child support that needs to be paid or more serious matters such as his own child being afraid of him. She always says there's nothing to be done for it. Needless to say, I have fired her, and I am seeking new counsel.

    My Daughter went to Washington in July. I have learned a few things since she returned home. Her father forced her to change her sleep schedule (he works third shift) and made her sleep in his bed. When I questioned him about this, he gave me a bunch of BS excuses. But nothing excuses this, honestly. It's weird. And of course, that brings me to today... I just found out that she's terrified of him and that he touched her inappropriately.

    I'm in the process of obtaining a lawyer, and a counselor for her, but what can I do in the meantime? Do I call the police in his city? I want to make sure she never has to see him again. I'm so upset I can hardly think. If something happens to me, he gets custody of her. I want to make sure that never happens. I want to protect my baby. What do I do? What questions do I need to ask?

    submitted by /u/ErstwhileVolcano
    [link] [comments]

    Help with HIPPA violation and blackmail situation involving my sister?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:40 AM PDT

    My niece, Emily, needs a kidney transplant. So everyone in the family got tested. I was told I was a match for her, but after talking about the procedure and possible complications I decided I was not comfortable donating one of my kidneys. The doctor understood and said he would keep my decision and results private and he did end up telling my sister, Sarah (Emily's mom), none of us were matches.

    Sarah works at the hospital where we got tested and has a friend that also works in the hospital, but in the area where they do the testing. My sister learned from that friend that I was actually a match for her daughter.

    She confronted me about it and says she's going to tell our family that I wasn't going to donate even though I was a match unless I go through with the kidney donation. She knows this will probably get a lot of my family mad at me and don't want them to know.

    So my first question is would my sister get in trouble for a violating HIPPA if I just report her friend? Shes works in the accounting department at the hospital. I know what she did and is doing is wrong, but I don't want her to lose her job as she needs it and the insurance that comes with it to pay for Emily's medical care.

    As for the blackmail part is there something like a cease and desist that I could get a lawyer to send her and maybe scare her into keeping quiet?

    I am looking up lawyers to help me deal with this situation. I guess I'm just not sure what type to look for because I'm assuming the two legal issues aren't exactly in the same field of expertise.

    Also this all happening in Atlanta, Georgia.

    submitted by /u/HIPPAandblackmail
    [link] [comments]

    UT- New tenant moved in with an ESA but I’m severely allergic

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    So I live in student housing so my lease includes my room and some share of the common areas. The apartment complex is advertised as pet free which is why I signed here because I have a severe cat allergy. A new tenant moved into one of the empty rooms for the coming semester and then asked the rest of us if we had any cat allergies. I told her I am severely allergic and am not able to live with cats and she responded that we should find some compromise because legally she's allowed to have an emotional support animal.

    I would love to find a compromise but unfortunately with central air and the duct work even just keeping the cat in her room is going to cause issues with my breathing and the dander in the air will cause hives.

    She left to get the cat from her parents and I decided to go to management to see if we could find a solution but they had no idea that she was going to be bringing an animal to a no pets apartment. I put them on notice as saying I have a severe allergy and would not be able to live with a cat and they told me they would call her and get back to me.

    She returned with the cat and so far has kept it in her room but within two hours I began having issues breathing and every time she leaves her room for any amount of time the cat starts scratching at the door and yowling. To the point that even the rest of the roommates and a bit annoyed.

    Basically I don't know what to do in this situation? I think under the Fair Housing Act I also have the right to reasonable accommodations and the landlord has the right to deny an ESA as it causes a health and safety risk to another tenant but I don't know how to go about this since even the landlord has yet to get back to me and they seemed somewhat afraid of trying to mess with ADA.

    I would love suggestions about what I should do because I can't spend this whole year high off of Benadryl because I am trying to get my senior thesis done and that would get expensive very fast. Any advice helps!

    TLDR; new roommate brought an ESA cat but I have severe allergies and cannot live with a cat. I need to focus on school and I can't do that while taking Benadryl everyday.

    submitted by /u/infxnites
    [link] [comments]

    How can I acquire my highschool transcripts from my mother (I was independently homeschooled)?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 02:39 PM PDT

    To keep it brief, I was homeschooled all my years of schooling. I believe my mother filed a private school affidavit only for my concluding years of highschool but she was not a part of any organization. We are no contact and she refuses to release any of my school documentation. Is there a way I can subpoena the documents without fully taking her to court? I'm not even sure to what extent my education was documented and I'm lost as to how to proceed.

    Thanks for any help or advice!

    submitted by /u/emgenerix
    [link] [comments]

    Bullied by coworkers. They knock off my cap from my head a dozen times a day (among other things). Is this considered assault? (NY)

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 05:05 AM PDT

    I have two co-workers that harass me and bully me at work every day. They insult me and call me names and make unfunny "pranks". In our work uniform we have a cap, what they do is they knock off my cap with the back of their hand so I have to pick it up on the ground (where it gets dirty). They do this like a dozen times a day. Looks innocent enough but it's aggressive behavior and it's making me miserable. My manager says it's schoolyard drama and won't do anything. I just don't know how to make them stop. Could knocking off my cap be considered assault?

    submitted by /u/20200826_throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Can I (a minor) admit myself into a psyche ward without my parents being involved?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:10 PM PDT

    I'm tired of the depression, I'm 16 years old and both of my parents are failures. I stopped living with my dad a few months ago and moved in with my mom who is even more degenerate and mentally ill than my father. My question is, would I be able to admit myself without them? Having them there while I go through the process would probably make me harm myself, and I don't want to deal with the pain.

    submitted by /u/8374616184726
    [link] [comments]

    Mother committed fraud using my name and info

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    In Nevada

    So the title basically says it all, but let me go into further detail:

    In March 2018, I was unemployed for roughly 3 weeks. In my state, when you get a job while receiving unemployment, you just stop filing and it will expire. Well not long after, I saw a email in my trash from the bank my unemployment card is from. It says my info was successfully changed. Weird. So I check the unemployment website and see that multiple weeks have been filed without my knowledge. I try to log in to my bank card account to no evail. I look frantically in my wallet, and see the bank card is missing. Immediately I thought my mother had stolen it, so I spoke to her and she literally admitted it.

    So I called the fraud investigation line crying profusely, telling them I knew who it was. I ended up calling the bank telling them which transactions were mine and which weren't, and told the fraud investigator it was my mom. My mom literally even admitted this on the phone to the fraud investigator as well. Basically the investigator told me I would still have to pay it back, but also that I could sue her for the money. My mother swore up and down she would pay me back and never has, I haven't even seen her since late 2018.

    Fast forward to now, I was laid off because of the pandemic, and they took the entire amount out of my weekly claims until it was paid off. Now that I have no emotional attachment to my mother and know that she is never going to pay me back, I was to finally pursue legal action. I just do not know what kind of legal counsel I should be looking for or if it's even worth pursuing?

    Thank you in advance for any help or advice on this.

    submitted by /u/manicperfectionist
    [link] [comments]

    My Former Roommate threatened to sue me for my house not being a good enough storage unit

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 12:52 PM PDT

    Background:

    I own my townhome in Charlotte, North Carolina. My roommate has lived in one of my rooms since 2017. He's lived with me under a verbal agreement, as we were previously friends. We do not have any written agreements or written proof of our arrangement, only that I've accepted cash from him on a monthly basis.

    My girlfriend moved into my place August 2020, which we had been planning for many months, and which I had give him many months of heads up, and reminders. I told him he had until September 2020. He recently left to live with his parents but didn't take his stuff. He needs "many weeks" he told me. It is a small townhome and my gf and I would like to start our next chapter without boxes everywhere. I even offered to pay for a moving truck to get his stuff out quicker, because we were friends, and I wanted him out ASAP.

    For Context:

    In 2019, he left for a year and lived with his girlfriend. However, he left his stuff at my place in the bedroom he was sleeping in. I was fine with it, as he continued to leave me rent every month. I would find signs that he would occasionally come and go. For all intents and purposes, he was still living here, just not always physically here. He also installed his own lock on the bedroom door too, which I do not have a key for, and did not give him permission to do so. I never knew if or when he was coming back, so I continued living my life and receiving his payments. Then, in February 2020 he came back suddenly, and has since never left his room. Especially when COVID19 hit, and he was furloughed. Although he did continue to pay rent. He has paid for every month of rent since 2017, that is not the issue.

    Now that the September deadline is upon us, he is mad at me, saying that I am "pushing him out" and that he is going to price rental units compared to my "shitty storage unit" aka the bedroom he keeps his stuff in and sleeps in.

    And because he is mad, he has threatened to sue me for a prorate of the months in 2019 that he was gone.

    My questions for you all, preferrably legally-sound advice only please:

    1. As the only deed-owning landlord in this situation, do I have anything to worry about? Can he win by suing me?

    2. Does the fact that I do not have a written agreement with him help or hurt me?

    3. Does the fact that I never gave him any receipts for payments help or hurt him?

    4. Does he have any real claim to the money from 2019?

    5. What are my rights for legally evicting him by a deadline at this point?

    6. Does he have squatters rights, and if so, when would they expire by?

    Thank you all for your feedback!

    submitted by /u/mSmithLegalQuestion1
    [link] [comments]

    How do I stop someone from filing lost title on MY vehicles? I live in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. The vehicles are in Carney, Oklahoma.

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 04:40 AM PDT

    Little back story, my father passed away in 2016, my grandmother in 2017. My cousin (Sammy Sr.) was the executor of my grandmother's estate and was handling my father's as well, but there was no will for him, so things were in limbo. He (Sammy) moved all of my father's trucks and tractor to his place (house and land) to keep an eye on, as I live in an apartment and have no room for everything. Sammy passed away about 2 months ago, and his wife contacted me last night to tell me his son, Sammy JR is going to try and file lost title on everything and take them himself. I have the title to everything except maybe the tractor, what do I need to do, or what can I do to prevent this? He was not named anywhere in the will of my grandmother, only my father and I, which everything goes to me on my 25th birthday (April 24th, 2021) Any insight is appreciated, this is definitely a first time for me, thank you.

    submitted by /u/XxJosh246
    [link] [comments]

    Our landlady placed purchase offers contingent on the sale of our rental property while we're still occupying it, and gave us 13 days notice that we would need to leave.

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 10:40 AM PDT

    We're currently on a month-to-month lease on a property in Meridian, ID. We are renting while we wait on renovations on the house we purchased a few months ago to complete. At the time we signed the lease, we were told that we could rent as long as we needed, and that it was a mutually beneficially arrangement for both parties. We have been living here for the past 4 months with no issues, and the landlady has been always been friendly and responsive.

    One thing to note is that our landlady is our real estate agent's sister. Our real estate agent has also been acting as our general contractor on renovations. Ordinarily, we would not have wanted to mix all these things together, but his sister had a rental property coming available the same week we wanted to move, and it enabled us to make a purchase on the house we wanted without signing a 12 month lease elsewhere which we would have been responsible for subletting. We could not find a better rental arrangement or price when we searched, and we had (and continue to have) a very positive relationship with the real-estate agent/contractor. Because our landlady and contractor are siblings, we had assumed (correctly) that she had been being kept up-to-date on the timelines for our house, so we don't think she would have been unaware about any sort of delays.

    Yesterday, we got a text from our landlady saying that she had made some purchase offers on other properties contingent on the sale of the house we're renting, and that if she didn't sell before the end of September, she would lose a lot of non-refundable earnest money. She asked us to move out by 9/8 (which was 13 days notice). She said that, to her, based on our correspondence in July, it was not short notice. However, we never indicated anything beyond a rough estimate for when we thought our house might be ready, and certainly never gave notice of when we were going to break the lease. We checked Idaho state law, and it requires 30 days notice to end a month-to-month lease.

    We responded that while we would try to find an AirBnb and short-term storage, and coordinate a move before 9/8, we could not guarantee it because of how little notice we had been given. Outside of this rather abrupt incident, we have had a positive relationship with the landlady; we will genuinely try to figure out a way to move out by that date. However, if we are unable to, we wanted to know what our standing was so we don't wind up on our back foot in a bad situation.

    I have a few questions:

    1. Is it legal for her to have made a purchase offer contingent on the sale of the rental property while we are still leasing?
    2. Is it legal for her to try to force us out by 9/8 with 13 days notice? As a follow-up, does the text we sent on 7/7 give any ground to her argument that her request was not short notice?
    3. What recourse do we have if we are not able to find short-term accommodations and coordinate a move by 9/8?

    Any other general advice would be helpful as well.

    EDIT: thanks for the replies everyone, good to know we can't be forced out if we aren't able to move by the 8th.

    submitted by /u/creeperReaper42
    [link] [comments]

    [MA] Dryer broke in apt, landlord purposely ignoring calls and emails so he can likely take it out of our security deposit once we move out in 5 days

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    hi /r/legaladvice

    About a month ago now, our dryer broke. we're not sure why, but we asked the handyman to check it out and he got back to us saying that the landlord believes we overloaded it (which we didn't) and that we should pay half of the cost for a new one. We reached out over email to ask the landlord directly for status updates numerous times but he has ignored all of the emails.

    Our landlord is known for being extremely rude and unreasonable, which the previous tenants confirmed. About a week ago, we got an email back from him accusing us of not paying August's rent (which made no sense because we paid for first + last month rent upfront a year ago) and that he would only reply to our emails after it was paid. After wasting an entire day calling around to the realtors, it turned out it was his own fault and that his broker just hadn't written him the August check. During this dispute, he was replying back via email almost immediately. Mind you, this was not the first time he accused us of skipping rent payment, back in October 2019 he simply misplaced our check even though it arrived on time. He failed to acknowledge being wrong both times, and still has not replied to our previous emails about the dryer despite him getting the August money and us sending him several more emails.

    We have also tried calling his office, where he either doesn't answer, or his assistant answers and says that he will call back the next day (though he never does). We've considered driving to the office but on google maps it shows it as behind a gated fence. We tried contacting the mechanic again as well to no reply.

    At this point, we aren't sure what to do. We move out on the 31st but we have no instructions on when to leave or where to leave the keys. We suspect he's doing this so that he can take out a huge chunk of our security deposit for a full dryer, as well as more for anything else he might want to charge for since we won't be around to defend ourselves. My roommates and I would have either paid for someone to fix the dryer, or in the worst case, paid for half like was originally proposed but we haven't heard anything since.

    Is there any legal course of action we can take here to protect ourselves? It's very obvious how rude and inconsiderate he's being, and past tenants have confirmed that he's like this. Could we take him to small claims court? This is in the state of MA

    tl;dr: landlord is incredibly rude, ignores all of our calls + emails about the broken dryer situation, likely wants to keep our entire security deposit after we leave. what can we do?

    submitted by /u/throwaway4landlord
    [link] [comments]

    NYC, Amazon Prime truck hit my parked car and run...

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    Scratched my car pretty badly, I would say. Have a recording from my dash cam and plates number. Just filed a report with police.

    I never dealt with hit-and-run, any advice on how to deal with it?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/FlyingTigra
    [link] [comments]

    [New York] I have a warrant for failure to appear. I want to go get it cleared.

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    So brief history:

    Arrested at 20 or 21 for having a few pills on me, got a DAT and went. Did my community service, never paid my fine.

    A few years later at 23, arrested again and given another DAT. I had empty heroin baggies and used needles in my car this time. Never went to court, letter was mailed to my old address stating I had a warrant.

    Now, 28, have not been in trouble with the law since then until a few weeks ago. NYPD terrorism squad took issue with something I posted on reddit, and they contacted my parents about it. I spoke to the detective on the phone and while he cleared me for that post, he did tell me I have an open warrant for not showing up to court when I was 23.

    He told my parents that because of my sobriety (4 years from drugs, approaching a year off alcohol/cigarettes) mental health issues, and heart condition, I'm probably not looking at any jail time, but as always, I don't trust the police.

    I do want to go get the warrant cleared but to be honest I don't want to go to jail because I will end up getting the shit kicked out of me for the way I carry myself. I don't want to get the shit kicked out of me or go to jail - I have kids.

    Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/xXVapingGod420Xx
    [link] [comments]

    Eviction in PA

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    Im in PA. My gf is living in an apartment building and a new person bought the building and the apartments the new person is supposed to take over end of September beginning of November. the new landlord wants out by October because he wants to turn her apartment into an office space for the business he owns downstairs. In her lease it states no pets but she has a prescription for an ESA and the old landlord told her that because of the cat she has she has to be out by Monday with no eviction notice. Is this at all legal and is there anything she can do because she lives on a fixed income and has 2 children under the age of 3 her income went to her rent and everything else. She is looking for a new place to live but is having a hard time finding a place as well as coming up with the money to pay for a new place. Is there anything she can do to slow down the process

    submitted by /u/ProSinsSkillz
    [link] [comments]

    Are parents allowed to be in a virtual classroom? Or in Google Classroom? (California)

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am a high school teacher teaching online classes from California. The other day, I had a parent try to join my class Zoom chat, but I didn't recognize her username and did not let her in. (I've been having issues with zoombombers and thought she was one, because her name didn't match anyone on my roster). The parent tried to chew me out via email, and now I'm wondering: are parents even allowed to be in a virtual classroom with all my under-18 students? I've also had parents request to join my Google Classroom for monitoring purposes - as students, NOT as guardians who just get the weekly update.

    I'd love some answers if anyone knows. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tacotrucktaco
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment