• Breaking News

    Thursday, August 27, 2020

    Legal Advice - Renter can't use the bathroom or kitchen after 10PM

    Legal Advice - Renter can't use the bathroom or kitchen after 10PM


    Renter can't use the bathroom or kitchen after 10PM

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    Hey everybody, currently renting a room in California and was wondering if there was anything I could do about my situation.

    The room i'm renting has become quite unlivable. The landlord has a no smoking policy, I am not allowed to smoke in the backyard or in the community, which I was totally fine with. However this person is a very light sleeper, and wakes up with any noise. She is in bed by 10, which is when I normally get home from work. Because she is sleeping, I am not allowed to use the kitchen. I got reprimanded for talking on the phone in my room.

    None of these compare to getting yelled at for using the bathroom in the middle of the night. I understand the first few things listed, but am not going to wet the bed for her convenience.

    I've decided to move out and have already informed her, but not being from this country I'm afraid I will not get my deposit back, even though I feel that I should get last months rent back as well. Anything on renters rights you can share?

    submitted by /u/foxhat15
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a "Supercar" that wasn't so Super (USA/Virginia)

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    I purchased a new model 2020 auto nearly two months ago, and it was an expensive high-end "supercar" costing a little over $200,000 US. While I certainly purchased it primarily for the mechanical abilities, the deciding factor between this car and several others in the price range was significant technology integrations. Advertised was all kind of telemetry (mileage, performance, etc.) that syncs with the manufacturers app on my smartphone, remote controls on locking/starting/fuel level, etc. and also an advanced integrated cockpit navigation system.

    When I got home the first day, I tried setting up the app and getting all the integrations going, but ran into countless bugs and errors. Calling the dealer resulted in numerous attempts to get things working to no avail, then dozens of support tickets and emails back and forth over the next 45 days uncovering problem after problem and suggestions for me to do different things that never worked. On top of all this, the navigation route selection has turned out to be downright horrible. After doing a number of experiments, the navigation takes me so far out of the way that it adds 30-35% of the time it takes for a trip beyond what say Google Maps will suggest, and I've proven that Google Maps is correct and the auto manufacturer navigation system is really this inaccurate.

    Today... after all these support tickets, emails, phone calls, and attempts on my part the auto manufacturer just informed me that all the advanced technology & app integration we have been trying to get working doesn't actually function with the car that I purchased. 45 days of madness and countless hours invested by me to troubleshoot/fix only to find that "differentiators" that made me select this car are pure fiction. Adding insult to injury, the dealer repair tech has confirmed that I am correct on the navigation inaccuracies. Everything is 100% updated and current, but for whatever reason it just makes horrible route choices... my dealer even privately told me that it's a known issue throughout the "inner circle" of dealers & techs for this manufacturer but they didn't realize how bad it actually was until I proved it with my tests & experiments.

    Personally, I'm really upset over all this and disappointed. I was literally told by the manufacturer and my dealer that they are sorry they can't give me better news, but yeah... none of this tech integration stuff works and they suggested I use my cell phone for navigation from now on if I want an accurate and safe routing. I no longer want the car and want a full refund that I can use to by a competitor's car that was my second choice. All the differentiators that led me to the final selection of this make and model turned out to be a lie, or so badly implemented that it's unusable and they knew it at least on the nav system. The fact that literally a half dozen people between the manufacturer support crew and the dealer have been trying to get the tech integrations working for 45 days is clear proof that even they believed it should have all been functional upon purchase as well.

    After 10 years of saving up money to make admittedly a very extravagant purchase, I'm left horribly disappointed and feeling totally cheated. Do I have any rights here on a lemon law or other recourse? any suggestions on how I can approach it? the car is actually at the dealer where they have had it for several days now trying to get it all working... I told them I just want my money back and now they have gone radio silent.

    Just a quick update... I've reached out to a few "lemon law" firms and they are saying I really need to "play out the game" for awhile. The dealer still has my car 3 days later, but they said to emphatically state that I want everything fixed and play out the amount of time it spends in the shop. The reality is that this technical problem is unfixable. The version of the core computer hardware in this model doesn't even support the app/integration services that this auto manufacturer has plastered all over their website. Nobody realized the error until I bought the car.

    Does this suggestion of "waiting it out" make sense? Maybe it's the right way to go, but this just seems to me to be a case where they sold me something that simply doesn't exist... it's fraud, not a technical problem in need of repair.

    submitted by /u/rxm1138
    [link] [comments]

    My [23F] mother [42F] drove to Georgia from Massachusetts with a guy she met at a hotel. She left my sister [10F] at home.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 06:27 AM PDT

    My mother has a history of being a neglectful parent. She gave up my brother and I when we were infants so she could party. After our grandmother was charged with severe abuse and neglect, we were placed into foster care.

    Fast-forward to me being 11 and my brother being 12, my mother was simply given custody of us. As soon as we started living with her, she dumped her long-term boyfriend resulting in us being homeless. We lived in a few shelters and with a few men she dated. She moved us to different states 3 times so that she could be with men she met online. She didn't work, cook or clean, ever and was never emotionally present. She was overall an awful parent and abused my brother and I physically and emotionally. She was worse than our grandmother, unfortunately.

    My mother had my sister in 2010. Today, my mother is still the same as she was back in the day and maybe a little worse. I went to her house in February 2019 and her turkey and leftovers from Thanksgiving 2018 were rotting and molding in her fridge, that's how terrible she is. Picture a dump. That's her house most of the time plus the overwhelming musk of cigarette smoke.

    Fast-forward again, I'm a full-functioning adult. I have my own apartment, I go to college and have my own business, My boyfriend and brother live with me. I am not allowed to see my sister because I'm a, "Marxist," but I'm not a Marxist, my mom just thinks I am and I guess that's grounds for disowning me, fine. But also... I don't fall anywhere near that category. She said I was a Marxist because I led a peaceful protest. Which was completely peaceful to the extent that our town and police station applauded it. I mean... my mom's words are a streeeech as usual, she swings from conclusions 24/7 about everything. She also thinks everyone plots against her 24/7.

    Fast-forward, one more time... I hadn't seen my mother or sister since February 2020. I stopped talking to my mother because my sister said, "maybe I should just kill myself," at a class I was teaching, in front of other kids and adults which resulted in a 51/A after my mother ignored a mandated reporter trying to explain to her how serious it was that my sister said that.

    I'm sitting in my dining room... with my boyfriend and best friend... I'm trying to relax because I have a funeral to attend in the morning—literally in 8 hours from now—and I was really close with the person who passed and my mother knows that though we haven't spoken.

    My brother walks in with my little sister... he says, "I'm very angry, sis, tell your big sister what happened."

    My sister says, "momma, auntie and I rented a hotel in the Cape for 3 days and my mom met a guy there."

    I say... "alright... and?"

    She says, "she made out with him in front me. They also got really drunk and did other stuff in front of me. They also did weird stuff when they thought I was sleeping."

    I say, "ew, I'm so sorry you had to see mom like that... anything else?"

    My brother looks at her... she goes, "the guy asked mom to come down to Georgia."

    ...I said, "what do you mean?"

    My brother says, "mom drove down to Georgia with the guy she randomly met at a hotel in the cape. She left our sister home and told auntie to check on her. She didn't ask auntie to watch her... she told auntie to watch her."

    Mind you... our aunt is an unreliable person who is currently trying to be sober. She is also on probation from stabbing someone in the neck with a stiletto... and is the last person who should be watching a child...

    So now... my sister is with me. My mother is now saying she will be back on Sunday as opposed to Friday...

    I want custody of my sister. Is this the right time to do something about it? My mother has been neglectful for years. I have filed a 51/A in the past and others have, too.

    What can I do right now to get custody of her??? I have a spare bedroom, a savings account... I can take care of her... and I want to. What can I do in the morning, after the wake and funeral?

    submitted by /u/somberetica
    [link] [comments]

    My friends and I (M21) all signed a lease for a house to live at during the school year. The landlord rented the place to someone else without telling us, now we have no where to live with a week until school starts.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 11:47 AM PDT

    Title basically says it all. The only financial aspect connected to this was one of my friend's had his security deposit in and myself and my other friend got ours in yesterday and today. This is all unfolding now I just want to know if there's anything we can do to stop this. I'll update if anything develops. Thanks in advance.

    edit: This is in NJ

    submitted by /u/ItsJoeThough
    [link] [comments]

    Gas attendant accidentally put gas in diesel car.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 05:45 PM PDT

    I'm a gas attendant at an only gas (we only sell regular gas nothing else) Gas Station. During our busy hours, a diesel SUV went to gas up. As usual, I ask the customer how much gas they need and always repeat the number they say loud and clear. The customer asked for $20 and didn't said that his SUV is a diesel. I didn't notice that the cap was green because it was during our busy hours, it was raining and I didn't payed attention to the colour. The customer came back a few minutes later, really angry and said that he will call his lawyer.

    Is it 100% my fault? I talked to the manager about it and he said that will just have to wait on what the customer will do. I'm only 17 and don't have a lot of money. I'm really worried

    submitted by /u/Sinestro2002
    [link] [comments]

    My father gave me his home before he died and now my sister is trying to sue.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 11:38 AM PDT

    As the title says my father gave me his home before he passed away via a quit-claim deed in case something happened to him. A few months after we had the new deed signed and notarized he passed away in a car accident. Now my sister is trying to prevent me from selling the home by threatening to put an injunction on the sale if I do not give her half of the proceedings. Does she have any legal right to the home or proceeds seeing as my father legally gave up his rights to it? The deed was properly filled out with the full legal description, and common description, signed, witnessed, and notarized by a local attorney.

    Edit: I live in West Virginia.

    Edit 2: My sister and my father are estranged and have not had a meaningful relationship since she was a teenager.

    submitted by /u/robbybthrow
    [link] [comments]

    Arrested at airport for sleeping.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    This just happened in Eureka, CA tonight. My flight was delayed an hour so I decided to nap. I woke up to 3 police officers standing over me while one was slapping cuffs on my wrists. I asked what was going on, they believed I was publicly intoxicated. I have sleep apnea. I did not drink at all today. I asked to take a sobriety test, but they denied it. They took me to jail and I missed my flight. Four hours later they let me out in the middle of Eureka without my belongings. Is there anything I can do? Or do I just let it go and and count my (black man) luck that I didn't get shot and was let go with no charges?

    submitted by /u/Primary_Candle
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend ( US citizen) is being held against her will by her father in Peru. She has none of her papers or ID on her. What can I do to get her back home?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 05:23 PM PDT

    My girlfriend (18F) and her sister were tricked by her aunt into coming to Peru and she was left behind with her father. I have very limited contact with her because her father has taken her phone away and frequently turns her WiFi off. He also took all papers and identification away from her. What can I do to get her back home?

    submitted by /u/7261VAHA
    [link] [comments]

    My sister’s husband is starving out her and her children

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    So my sister's husband left her and their three daughters about 4 months ago. He burned all her documents (birth certificate, passport, ID, SS, etc.) and kicked her out with her three daughters. He refuses to help them financially in any sort of way. Is she in any way able to start filing for full custody while we are trying to replace all her documents?? We're on the other side of the country from her and are trying to find the best legal way to get her and her daughters home without violating the father's rights.

    Edit: she is in Florida right now.

    submitted by /u/Alainia2
    [link] [comments]

    MA- Morbidly Obese Tenant Not Safe?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    The fire department reached out to me today to inform me that one of my tenants has been calling 911 5+ times a week for help with small things (needs a drink, etc.) because they have become "non-ambulatory." Apparently something happened yesterday and they decided to bring my tenant to the hospital and it took something like ten firefighters thirty minutes to get them out of the building (third floor with interior staircase).

    The FD is concerned that it is a life safety issue and asked me to help but I'm not sure how. They're not old enough for an elder abuse 51a but I called them anyway to see if they knew of an alternative and apparently the only other help is for mentally disabled adults (didn't sound like morbidly obese qualified).

    As a landlord I obviously don't want to be responsible for someone getting trapped in the even of a fire (or even not being able to get rescued in time with fall or something), but on a human level I also don't want them living alone somewhere that they can't even get themselves water... Any ideas on what I can do to get them moved and in a safer apartment? I don't have anything available on a ground floor, otherwise I would move them to another unit.

    submitted by /u/legal_throwaway148
    [link] [comments]

    My ex is taking me to court to change our daughters last name to her new husband's last name. Is this adoption in the legal sense and does it nullify child support obligations on my behalf? (Texas)

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 07:30 AM PDT

    Tried to be as concise as possible, and thanks for reading. Longer explanation below.

    My ex ran off to Texas when she was 4 months pregnant with our child and I live very far away from her. I got child support set up fairly early and have paid on time consistently for 5 years or so. My ex never really wanted me around to be a father. Never wanted me to be alone with our child (she thinks I would kidnap her or worse idk) and once she got married to a new fella and started having his babies she didn't want me associated as the father of our child.

    So now our child was had out of wedlock so the last name is my ex's maiden name. Since she's been married now my ex's last name has changed but her first daughter's name can't change without MY permission as I'm still on the books as the father. She's nearing the age of starting her first day of school and I know my ex is mortified that people or our daughter is going to ask why her last name is different than the rest of her family's.

    She just had papers served to me in my state ordering me to basically agree to changing our daughters last name to her husband's last name or if I disagree I guess it's going to actual court. I wasn't sure whether this was considered an adoption or relieves me from child support obligations. I sound like an asshole for trying to get out of child support but their family wants NOTHING to do with me. They don't want our child to know about me or our relationship to one another. They never want me to have overnight visitation even if I'd had a better relationship our daughter. My ex got super religious out of nowhere when she ran off and I think our complicated history is threatening to her shiny, Christian family and she wants me gone.

    Sorry for rambling but tl;dr my ex wants to change our daughters last name to her new husbands bc she doesn't want people knowing her first kid isn't his.

    God bless

    submitted by /u/LittleBearJohnson
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone locator showing a missing phone on our property; neighbor accusing us of stealing it.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    A man we've never met, apparently a neighbor, knocked on our door today. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Y'all got kids?" We said no, and asked why. He said his iPhone was stolen out of his vehicle, and that his locator was showing it on our property. He showed us the app and site enough, a giant red symbol over our house on Google Earth. (And obviously, no, we didn't steal it.) We told him sorry, we've been home all afternoon and hadn't seen anything, but we'd keep our eyes out for it. He leaves, we assume this is the end of that.

    Ten minutes later, he comes back knocking, insisting that he look around our property. My husband told him he would happily walk him out back to look (supervised). Not surprisingly, they found nothing after walking the entire yard, which is where he insisted the locator was directing him. He then became irate with my husband and said he'd be back with the police and a warrant.

    We understand the man's frustration, but we are offended that we are being accused of stealing. We're by no means rich, but we have enough money for everything we need. We even combed our property again on our own to ensure that no one had chucked it over our fence and found nothing.

    Will he obtain a warrant? Is the locator app enough proof? Is our word good for anything? Thanks in advance for any help.

    **Note: Yes, I know we didn't technically have to let the guy look in our backyard. We were just trying to be neighborly.

    submitted by /u/shrimplyfintastic
    [link] [comments]

    Pick up artists are illegally using me in their marketing content, and are ignoring my requests to stop ASAP.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 01:15 PM PDT

    Hey everybody, I'm really at a loose end here. In the past, I dated somebody who (unbeknownst to me) recorded my text messages and personal voice notes, and sold them in an online course.

    I had no idea they were doing this, and I forced them to take it down as soon as I found out.

    While we were dating, I created some videos for the company but after I found out they were illegally using my private moments in their course, I asked them to take down all photos, videos, voice notes, anything related to me in their marketing.

    I checked on the Facebook Ads manager (this publicly allows you to view any ads that any company is running) , and not only are they IGNORING my request to take down these videos…they are uploading MORE with my name and face in them. These videos and texts in the ads claim that we are engaged (we are not) and I feel violated knowing that I am being used in this way.

    There is absolutely no contract or agreement whatsoever that gives them permission to do this. Not only is this unethical, it is illegal but I don't know how to fix this.

    The fact that he used my private moments to sell in the course has massively fucked with my head. Even getting my private voice memos and texts removed from the course was difficult, when it absolutely should not have been.

    My face is uncensored on their website as well, which I had absolutely no idea about until a few days ago.

    I feel like I don't have control in my life anymore if he's able to continue doing this to me. Is there anything I can do to get these ads down? Can anybody help me?

    submitted by /u/highlandgarden
    [link] [comments]

    What to do when there are over 700 death certificates falsely certified with my name?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 09:05 PM PDT

    I am a physician. Over 700 death certificates have been incorrectly certified with my name due to a technical and user error with the software that produces death certificates, even though I never saw these patients at all. Spoke to a lawyer and they said there is minimal liability to me since it is factually incorrect and it was the hospital that created the certificates. But I am still concerned with other issues such as family members wondering who this doctor is that never saw the decedent, or one day the state publicizing cause of death data etc. causing my malpractice insurance to spike or other. Is there something I'm missing here? The hospital refuses to correct it saying it's too much work for no real negative outcome.

    Any thoughts or advice?

    submitted by /u/Giraffeapp
    [link] [comments]

    Mortgage loan officer shared personal information with a vengeful ex-real estate agent. Kansas USA

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    Mortgage company shared personal information with a fired real estate agent.

    So I received a text at 3am from a real estate agent we had let go. Before we let her go she gave us information on a mortgage company. We let her go due to many factors. We ended up using the mortgage company she had told us about , however they were competing against 2 other mortgage companies. So the ex-agent sent me a rant with information only our loan officer and myself know. She even throws the name of our loan officer under the bus. She knew everything about our personal information including the issues we had during our dealing with our mortgage company. I believe our mortgage loan officer shared my personal information with this ex-real estate agent. What can I do to file a formal complaint ? Or do I have any rights to protect this information?

    submitted by /u/InternationalField91
    [link] [comments]

    Stepfather (50m) caught inappropriately touching my 14 year old sister and might not face jail time??? Help us!

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 03:52 PM PDT

    I need some serious advice. Nothing this bad has ever happened to our family and it is absolutely wrecking my mom because she has never had any experience with anyone getting arrested.

    Backstory

    We are located in SC. Our real father died of cancer six years ago and my mother remarried about four years ago. They got married really quick they dated for less than a year and decided to get married. Almost everyone in my family dislikes him. He was always really nice to my mom and treated her like a princess but really nasty to everyone else behind her back. She would always defend him saying that's just how he is and he just gets angry. At the time we were all still pretty shook up from our dad dying. Then he comes in and basically told us there's no reason that you should be upset over somebody dying Who never cared for you. My dad owned his own business and worked a lot so he wasn't home a lot and him and my mom's marriage before he died was really rocky. But he was always a great dad to us, classic Italian man, make money and work to provide for the family.

    Current situation

    This week I was hanging out with my little sister and she confessed she had to tell me something. As her older sister I told her she can always talk to me. She told me that he has been touching her for at least a few years and she doesn't know if it's bad or not. I asked her to elaborate on what he has been doing. She said that he touches in between her breasts and touches her butt and takes her pants off but doesn't do anything to her. She showed me messages from him saying that he wants to pet her(excuse me while I throw up). she replies "no I'm getting too old for that nobody else does that kind of thing to me like Mom or Nana"and he says "that doesn't mean that it's wrong". She just says "I know but I'm growing out of it I'm almost in high school." And then he says "just because you outgrow your favorite pair of shoes doesn't mean they're still not your favorite pair." She took a video and showed it to me and it's exactly how she says. He pulls her pants down and basically just feels all over her and then her butt cheeks with her underwear on and rubs his hand all on her thigh and close to her privates. She makes up an excuse that she has to go potty so he stops and then he makes her give him a hug (with her in her underwear straddling him). He is kneeling by her bedside and she is on the bed. But he has never actually touched her there apparently. And he has never asked her to touch him or anything.

    I told her she would have to tell mom and we ended up talking to her that day but she couldn't bring herself to watch the video. I'm the only one who's seen it other than the police and it makes me nauseous. We went to the police on Monday and he was arrested right after. But he has since gotten a defense lawyer who thinks that he will be able to get him out without any jail time due to Covid. Idk if the lawyer knows that there is literally a video showing him do this without a doubt?! There's nothing he can say it is the middle of the day you can see his face and everything. Now he's talking to his friends to try and get recommendation letters sent to the court for his merit on how he's a good dad. I'm sure he has not told them what he has gone to jail for or if they even have to know what he's done before they support him? I would really like to enlighten them to just how serious his charges are and that there's video proof against him. He has 4 counts of csc with a minor, one for every year she said it's been happening.

    My mom is a nervous wreck because she thinks that he will get out of jail and come and try to kill us for ruining his life. We have told the police this and they said that they are doing all they can but that if he makes bail he will be able to get out until his trial. His bail is between $700-$1000 apox. We are all really nervous because this has ruined his life and he is a very angry, nasty person to begin with. He has a whole stockpile of guns and ammo at my moms house that she has not given to his family because we are scared. I mean he's a felon he can't have them anyway but my moms scared to get rid of them before divorce is settled on. We don't know what to do and nobody will give us answers. My sister can't sleep at night because she has dreams that he comes and kills us all for her telling.

    I keep telling her that she did the right thing, that nobody should have to endure what she did for three years and mom shouldn't stay with somebody like that anyhow. He basically fucking cheated on her with her underage daughter!!That's grounds for their divorce, adultery!! We as a family just cannot believe this is happening and we are trying to do everything we can to support my sister. My stepfather's actual daughter has vowed to never speak to him again and believes my sister. She's been extremely supportive and said she was never this brave as her to come forward bc something similar happened to her with a different family member. I think that speaks volumes that his own daughter believes that he could do such a thing and about how fucked in the head mentally that family is!

    Are we able to talk to his friends and let them know what he's done so maybe they won't write letters? Do the letters even matter since we have a video? Can we get in trouble for talking to them? Is there any type of protection that we can get if he does get released on bail? I just don't understand how he couldn't be facing any ramifications for this. It's absolutely disgusting.

    Also please don't come at my mom, she had no idea that this would happen even though he was kind of a jerk we never expected this in a million years.

    submitted by /u/Kaitiebug1995
    [link] [comments]

    In lease it states we do not pay internet. This is being changed mid lease.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 08:05 PM PDT

    I live in Oakland, CA. We have in the lease that we will not pay internet. Well my roommate is a streamer which was known. Now the internet usage is higher than they expected. They want to charge us or have us get our own internet.

    Any advice will help.

    submitted by /u/javaHoosier
    [link] [comments]

    Dad died. SSA check auto-deposited 2 days later. Money was withdrawn for auto-payment on some bills. Now SSA is asking for their money back?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    Details: my dad died on the 10th. His social security check was auto-deposited on the 12th. A few days later some significant bills were auto-paid (minimum on a credit card, caregiver, utilities). I know, I know - I should have notified the bank earlier but I didn't. Those first few days after his death were a bit of blur.

    Anyways, he had no savings and was surviving on his SSA checks and credit cards. So the auto-paid bills brought his bank account balance to a couple hundred. When I notified the SSA of his death they told me that any payments received after his death would have to be returned.

    So, my question: what happens next?

    I'm happy to pay them back but there is not enough money left in the estate. I'm assuming my sister and I (the surviving children) are not liable but am not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/mutant-jiffy
    [link] [comments]

    Car repossessed by bank for previous owner's loan, but the car was legally (as far as we know) sold to us 2 years ago.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    Hi legaladvice,

    About 2 years ago we bought a car from a towing company. That towing company towed the car from a lot and no one had come to claim the car. Turned out that the owner had passed away, and from what I understood, enough time had passed that the towing company was able to get a title from Massachusetts registry in order to be able to sell the car.

    We bought the car, got the title transferred to my partner's name. Registered, insurance - everything looked fine. Just finding out today, 2 years after the sale, that the car had an outstanding lease or a loan on it from the previous owner.

    This morning a towing company took the car without notice and the bank claims that the car is titled to someone else (who I'm assuming has the outstanding balance). We have the title for the car which is clearly under my partner's name and no one elses. How could there be two titles for one car?

    The bank says it will take them up to 3 days to launch an investigation, who knows how long this investigation will take place. We are already planning on filing a police report, and had called the attorney general but all they said was to contact the bank who issued the repo. What can we do to get the car back or validate his ownership other than the title? Thanks in advance.

    EDIT: Another note I'd like to add - when we checked for the title status on the RMV website, the title number we have says its status is active with the correct VIN. It also shows the previous title number is inactive. The bank wouldn't let us speak to someone higher up, we just want our car back 😩

    submitted by /u/walnutssandwich
    [link] [comments]

    F-ed in the Sewer Line

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    I am selling my house in Colorado. Part of the closing requirements are to have the sewer line cleaned and re-scoped. When I had the cleaning guy out, he got his tool stuck in my line. The scope people were able to help show him where it was stuck and he came back two days later to get his equipment unstuck. He then continued to clean the line even though we had video there was nothing to clean. I am certain he did this so he could still charge me. Upon re-scoping I find he put a hole in my line. According to his paperwork (which I signed) he is not liable for any damages he causes. Will that hold up in court? I can prove he broke my line. Who is liable for the damages? What do I do, we are supposed to close next week?

    TLDR: Sewer guy got his junk stuck in my house and then proceeded to fuck my world up.

    submitted by /u/Sewerguybrokemyjunk
    [link] [comments]

    Can't pay my employer back because they won't pay me because I can't pay them back

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    r/personalfinance removed this, but suggested I come here, so here I am.

    I'm a caregiver for an elderly disabled man. Instead of working for him through an agency like most caregivers, my employer goes through a company that allows him to pick his staff himself, and personally decide our schedules and rates of pay. From what I understand, all the company does is handle the paychecks.

    Once every two or three months, my pay is withheld for one reason or another and my client's case manager asks if I need an "advance". What this actually means is I'm paid on time, but by his case management instead of the payroll company, and when my actual paycheck is released, I reimburse them.

    Once again I've been informed I won't be paid this week, or until whatever their issue is gets sorted, and I was offered the advance. When I accepted it, I was then told that I can't have it because I never paid back the last one. I thought I had, but I guess not. So I'm not being paid for my work, and case management won't advance my check because I never reimbursed the last advance. I asked if they could take the outstanding amount out of this current advance, and they won't.

    So I still owe them a little over $400, which I can't afford to pay right now. Most of what my wife and I had saved was spent at the vet (one of our cats was sick and we spent a lot of money trying to help her before we realized we couldn't. She was put to sleep yesterday). I have a second job that I make less than $200 a week at, so three weeks at least before I'd have the money, but right now I don't have any. Any advice or explanations on why this might be happening would be appreciated.

    TL;DR Once every couple months my employer withholds my pay for some new reason. They won't advance me my check because I forgot to reimburse the last advance. There's no telling when they'll release my check, and I can't afford to pay them back right now. Advice? Thoughts?

    Location is Kentucky, US.

    submitted by /u/SmallElijahWood
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors house slowly encroaching on our roof

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 02:02 PM PDT

    We purchased a lovely old house in Pennsylvania last year in a neighborhood where the houses sit very close together. If I stood in the sidewalk alley between the two houses, my fingertips could almost brush both houses (I'm 5'3). The house is on a hill and our uphill neighbor's roof appears to be grazing our roofline at one point. I would need to get on a ladder to really tell, since I'm currently viewing it from approximately 30' below.. but from some angles it definitely looks like the houses are touching at the eaves, at least in one spot. Our home inspection didn't mention this, and we didn't notice that they were this close together when we purchased the house.

    What would you recommend doing? We like our neighbor, and it's a fairly low to medium income area so it's unlikely he'd be able to fix his foundation out of pocket.. & I guess there's also the possibility that our house is leaning up hill, but it doesn't look like it.

    Mainly my question is - where do I start? Who can I ask for help?

    submitted by /u/sarawr7
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord is charging me $5,000 in repairs to their subfloor... what can I do? (MI)

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 09:27 AM PDT

    1. I asked them for an itemized receipt and they refused... is that legal? They said they don't have to.

    2. Damage is extremely debatably and my landlord didn't do a walkthrough with me after turning in the keys.

    3. Every time I try and discuss the charges that have been made they get extremely defensive and threatening about going to court when all I want to do is understand what I'm paying for.

    4. Landlords contractor who did the work is her own son. Seems like a conflict of interest.

    more details here.

    Thanks for the responses so far.

    submitted by /u/PM_me_catpics
    [link] [comments]

    Scammed by pet store

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    Hello, my family recently bought a female eclectus from this pet store for $3600. Which is really expensive for an eclectus but moving on. We were waiting on the baby female eclectus to wean when suddenly we get a message saying that the bird has a disease from birth and she can't be sold anymore...

    We were expecting a full REFUND but my dad stupidly signed a contract saying that we have to spend the money in the pet store even if the bird becomes sick/die. No one reads the fine prints on terms and conditions, and they really should!!!

    I find that so frustrating because NONE OF THE STORES DOES THAT. If you buy a defect refrigerator from Sears, you get a refund on that refrigerator because it's the store's fault for selling that item... no company (except the stupid ass pet store) requires you to spend money in a store that sold you a defect item. It just doesn't make any sense. Why would you want to spend money at an irresponsible store?

    Lesson learned: READ THE CONTRACT AND DON'T TRUST PET STORES

    I live in California, maybe this contract is can not be enforced, any help would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/pastakana14
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment