• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 12, 2020

    Legal Advice - My sister's employer was granted a PPP loan under the CARES Act. The loan was used to pay my sister and others for the eligible 8 week pay period. The employer somehow failed to meet the requirements for loan forgiveness. They are now telling my sister she is responsible for paying them back $8,000.

    Legal Advice - My sister's employer was granted a PPP loan under the CARES Act. The loan was used to pay my sister and others for the eligible 8 week pay period. The employer somehow failed to meet the requirements for loan forgiveness. They are now telling my sister she is responsible for paying them back $8,000.


    My sister's employer was granted a PPP loan under the CARES Act. The loan was used to pay my sister and others for the eligible 8 week pay period. The employer somehow failed to meet the requirements for loan forgiveness. They are now telling my sister she is responsible for paying them back $8,000.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 07:49 AM PDT

    This is in Missouri. As I understand it, the PPP loan is 100% forgivable if the borrower meets certain requirements, such as keeping the same number of employees, and paying them at least 75% of their regular wages. The company refuses to tell sister how exactly they failed to meet those requirements, but she knows they fired one of the employees being paid with the loan as soon as the store re-opened, so I suspect that may have been it.

    Regardless, it seems absurd that the employees are on the hook to pay the loan back. The main sticking point that may make this gambit legal, is that the company sent an email referring to the payments as "pre-payment of future sales."

    My sister nor her coworkers ever signed any paper work related to the payments, and were all caught off guard by the demand that they repay these wages now that the company failed to have the loan forgiven. So, at the least, a requirement to repay their own wages in this event was not understood by the employees nor explained well by corporate.

    My primary questions:

    Are businesses allowed to shift the liability to repay PPP loans onto their individual employees under the CARES Act?

    If so, is this now considered a valid personal legal debt? As in, can the company send debt collectors after my sister if she were to simply quit?

    Does referring to these payments as "pre-payment of future sales," in a single correspondence make this legal? Is structuring the PPP loan payments in such a way legal in the first place?

    I suspect that the liability for the debt still belongs to the company and they're simply taking advantage of their employees. But, I have been unable to find anything addressing this specifically in the CARES Act.

    I appreciate any advice. My sister is pretty overwhelmed at being thrust into the largest debt of her life by her own employer.

    *Edit to add a couple points: *

    Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but my sister and the others paid with the PPP loan work largely on commission.

    Also, I want to mention that my sister has loved everything about this job up until this point. She is undecided about quitting. So while quitting is on the table, answers that also consider ways to potentially keep the job while not paying for this loan would be appreciated. Possibly being able to point the company to limitations within the CARES Act itself that would nullify their demand.

    Collective bargaining may also be an option given the value these particular employees bring to the store, but that's not really the advice I'm looking for here.

    And while I appreciate the view that the business is likely going under, that is still an assumption at this point. Business has reportedly been booming since the lockdown lifted, so I think it's possible the company is just being cheap and cruel.

    submitted by /u/faderjack
    [link] [comments]

    My horse bit and broke a kid’s (5yo?) arm when her mother brought her over to pet him. I was grabbing his saddle. She bled. The mom wants to sue me, is there anything I can do?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 02:36 PM PDT

    Ontario, Canada

    Everyone in the barn who has a horse is on my side, but anyone who doesn't have a horse is on the mom's side. I've also got tons of witnesses that can attest to the fact that Jester's never bitten anyone before and that he's a super friendly horse

    I board my horse (Jester) at a barn that does riding lessons for kids. My horse isn't part of the lessons, he's just there. Lots of horses who aren't part of the lessons are boarded here. Yesterday there was a few people there (parents with kids) checking the place out for winter lessons with a tour/permission to free roam as long as you didn't touch or go close to any horses. There's nothing to sign that ensures this rule. I also did not know guests were here until after the incident because I arrived after everyone else.

    I removed Jester from his stall and put him in the cross ropes (two ropes in the hallway) to keep in from walking away. This is normal routine. I already had all of my grooming stuff with me but wanted to grab my tack go get ahead of things. I don't grab it before I take him out because while we're all tacking up the only place I can hang his saddle is over his stall door, and I need to be able to slide that open so he can get out in the first place. When I was walking back I couldn't see because there was another horse in the way but there was a HUGE scream and suddenly a whole bunch of commotion. All the horses started freaking out and there was a little girl and her mom standing next to Jester and her arm was bleeding everywhere. Some other people rushed them out of the barn while me and some friends calmed the horses and checked on Jester. He was fine but spooked.

    The mom is claiming her daughter just tried to pet him (against the rules but no proof in writing), but the rider with the horse right in front of Jester said she watched the girl grab and pull him down by his nostrils and before she could say anything he bit her wrist. The little girl's wrist is broken (honestly, I could say probably shattered), and has a huge gash. I'm being sued for the would be cost of medical + extra, and I'm worried about my horse.

    Edit: The mom was not enrolling the 5 year old in lessons, she was there to sign up her older sister (idk how old) and brought her along

    TL;DR: Mother was told not to touch or go near the horses but there's nothing in writing. I tied my horse up and went to grab his saddle like always, and her 5yo grabbed him and was bitten. Her wrist is shattered and gashed and I'm being sued. Is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/NotABearItsAManbear
    [link] [comments]

    My company changed the system they do their payroll through. They determined they gave me too much PTO, so they took away all accrued PTO and put me in a nearly 30 hour PTO deficit, meaning I will need to work for nearly half a year before I can accrue PTO again.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 08:42 AM PDT

    I work as a department head for a major liquor store chain in Texas. I have close to ten years of experience with the company. However I had a brief break in my employment where I tried another career path, it didn't work out though and I was back at my current job in less then a year. The way PTO works at my company is the amount of PTO you earn per hour worked goes up once you've worked a certain number of years with the company.

    The company just decided that they have been judging our PTO accruals incorrectly since they changed their payroll systems a few years ago, and that it should be based off of our rehire date and not the total time worked for the company. This caused them to determine that I have been given too much PTO, so they took away all PTO I have banked and put me at negative 27 hours of PTO. They say I can now earn PTO at the rate of 3 hours per pay period (we are paid every two weeks), so I wont be able to start gaining PTO again for about 18 weeks.

    There was no notice given to anyone affected by this, I have two close friends and coworkers who have lost nearly 50 hours of PTO as well. The only reason I found out is because I took a sick day on Monday, and when I tried to use my PTO that I knew I had to cover it, I was informed of my negative status and that there was nothing I can do about it. This leaves me in a tough spot as even with my extensive time with this company, their pay is pretty terrible and I often have to budget on a paycheck to paycheck basis. Do I have any legal recourse?

    submitted by /u/LegendOfCrono
    [link] [comments]

    Off duty police officer just threatened me with a bogus charge over our children

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    TLDR: sorry not sure where else to post this...

    Hi, I have a Police officer for a neighbor, his kids have bullied mine for the last 3 years. As such they're no longer welcome on my property (we all have large acreage lots), but they consistently "trespass" and are destructive, disrespect, etc. They are 14 and 11.

    I had to (again) ask them to go play elsewhere, and got the usual smart-ass responses and was basically ignored. I had to have words with them, I was pretty calm throughout but I did say "ass" once... Oh well, they curse like truckers.... Anyway, dad comes over and starts huffing and puffing about "how I treat his kids" and said if I had words with them again (even in the course of asking them to stop trespassing) that he'd come cite me with Disorderly Conduct. He was off duty at the time.

    So, my question is, now that I have a neighbor using his LEO status to threaten me, and likely targeting me, can I file some form of complaint against him with the PD or am I asking for more trouble?

    Ugh...

    submitted by /u/8stringtheory
    [link] [comments]

    My dad called 911 saying he thought he was having a stroke or a heart attack. The ambulance went to the wrong house at first and once they finally arrived and picked him up, they came back 10 minutes later with my dad still im the ambulance because one guy forgot his medicine bag.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    My dad passed away two weeks ago. He called 911 saying he thought he was having a stroke or a heart attack. The ambulance went to the wrong house and arrived late, after they arrived and picked up my dad they came back 10 minutes later because one guy forgot his medicine bag. I just got a HUGE bill from them and feel upset. I can't help but feel as though he would still be here if they didn't screw up And i definitely feel i don't owe them $2,000+.

    What would you advise I do in this situation? Suck it up and pay the bill or is there something else l can do to minimize the giant bill because of their negligence?

    This is in Hawaii, USA

    submitted by /u/you_can_call_me_mami
    [link] [comments]

    Father is in a wheelchair, and his apartment building has had only a single working elevator for over a month now (with no plans to fix existing ones until 2021). This sole elevator is on service mode almost all day due to contractors. My father is unable to leave his floor.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 07:47 PM PDT

    Father lives in a fairly old building in New York. He owns his unit however most of the building is owned by a property management company that rents out units.

    The apartment building has 3 elevators, 2 normal ones and a freight one. The freight one has been broken for over a year now apparently, and a last month one of the normal elevators went to out of service.

    Property management company is renovating/redoing a huge number of units, and has no plans to fix any of the elevators until next year.

    The property management company is slimy, and since my dad doesn't want to raise hell i need to do it for him to get even most basic repairs done.

    Today my dad had an important appointment, and i found out he is stuck on his floor. The contractors put the elevator into service mode, and use it exclusively. Property manager suggested if i didn't like this, i should get my father to an "old folks home".

    I ended up being forced to carry my dad down 6 flights of stairs, to get him to his appointment. I also learned that my dad has basically been unable to leave his unit for the last month because of this. Sometimes after 6 pm, he can use the elevator but apparently the contractors lately have just been leaving it on service mode the entire time.

    When we came back i basically took the elevator from the contractors, which caused the property manager and the contractors to be hugely pissed, as apparently it is "dangerous" to make the contractors use the stairs.

    I don't think this is legal, can anyone point me in the direction of something i can use?

    submitted by /u/ParentsApt28192
    [link] [comments]

    FedEx delivery contractor lost 2 packages worth $1000. Reported delivered at my address but went to a neighbor. Neighbor saw the driver take the packages back into his truck, but they never delivered to me. Driver no longer with contractor. What can I do?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 05:39 PM PDT

    I ordered two one of a kind rugs worth $1000 that were marked delivered by FedEx on 7/28 to my house in Durham, NC. I see all delivery trucks from my office and none came to my house that day. I reported it to FedEx, they opened an investigation and gave their contractor 2 days to find the rugs. The case closed on 7/30. The contractor claims they sent the driver back to where they dropped off the rugs to look for them, and the driver said they didn't see the packages. Same result on investigations for both packages.

    FedEx informed me after I spoke to a manager that the driver no longer worked for the contractor and therefore couldn't be contacted. I did some more digging over the last week and learned yesterday the rugs were delivered to the next street over from mine to a similar but not identical street address number. I spoke with my neighbor who confirmed the rugs were delivered there. He said he called to the driver and said the rugs were delivered to the wrong address. He said the driver wouldn't come back to get them and added that the guy seemed incompetent. Driver left, the rugs sat on the front porch for another two days. Then the driver comes back with another delivery. The neighbor says the driver was told the rugs were still at the wrong address and belonged the next street over. The driver took the rugs back to his truck and drove off. He didn't deliver them to me.

    That day would've been when the contractor reported that the driver went to the location where the rugs were delivered and said he was unable to locate the rugs. My neighbor says he saw the guy put the rugs in his truck. The rugs are not at the FedEx hub, meaning this guy took them somewhere else (maybe has them), ditched them, or they're at the contractor's facility. In any case, this driver and the contractor have potentially provided a false investigation to FedEx. I have asked the local FedEx hub to get me in touch with the contractor, and they won't give me the contractor's name or a phone number, basically protecting the contractor at the expense of consumers. They have asked the contractor to call me, and the contractor has refused. I want the contractor held accountable and to figure out where these rugs are. I can get my money back, but I can't get these rugs back. I'm wondering if I should file a police report. At this stage, either that driver or the contractor is still responsible, and this seems like theft. What options do I have here? Thanks

    submitted by /u/missingpackage
    [link] [comments]

    My GFs ex just posted an internet fundraiser for their child that never had the surgery he claims

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    So my girlfriend is in a custody battle with her ex (North Dakota). He has failed to pay the parent investigator, but he has the better lawyer who was able to get a continuance because of nonpayment by both parties even though my girlfriend paid her portion. It has been a few months and still he hasn't paid and her lawyer has brought it up to the other lawyer... then just today my gf found out he started a internet fundraiser, using their child (with name and picture) for a surgery they never had or never needed.

    Her lawyer doesnt really know what to do in this case, except to let it go as far as it goes and then she would have to report the fraud to authorities.

    What is the best course of action she should take? We know the ex is in contempt of court over the non payment, but what about him attempting fraud and child exploitation. We do want to wait and see if he raises money, but is their any ramifications of the attempt of fraud?

    submitted by /u/sherlocknessmonster
    [link] [comments]

    I broke HIPAA policy, I regret it but I don't know the legal side of violations

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    I work at a hospital in AZ, a very small part time job. I have access to patient info and out of stupid curiosity, looked up two family members. One is dead, could not be there with him when he died because of quarantine, and the other is my mother, I live with her and have a tight relationship. No malicious intent nor did I sell/speak about the info, just me. I looked them up only once too, though not sure if that changes anything.

    I think during an audit the hospital found I was in a chart that I wasn't suppose to be and are launching an investigation on me, its serious because I am suppose to meet with compliance dept, like multiple people.

    I thought it was okay because they were family and I had access to them, but I know that it was a violation because there was no consent, I know it was stupid of me and I am fully prepared to be terminated and I have learned my lesson definitely. Patient confidentiality is super important especially in a hospital.

    I'm not sure if I'll go to jail or be fined, but I read I can be fined from $100-1.5 million dollars and up to 10 years in prison, I know the high fines and prison time are for accessing hundreds of info and then selling it or doing something malicious, but will I go to jail for this? Will I get a fine? I think the hospital is doing internal disciplinary action so nothing legal is happening so far but I'm scared I'll have a criminal record or a black mark.

    Anything helps

    submitted by /u/soysauzz
    [link] [comments]

    Ex wife is majorly verbally abusive towards son who is 11. I need help getting him to live with me

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 05:03 PM PDT

    When me and me ex wife got divorced I tried to keep it clean as possible. I get my kids every Tuesday and every other weekend. Most Tuesdays my daughter won't want to come and I don't make her. I do make her come on my weekends though. My son however messages me almost everyday wanting to come after I get off of work. I allow him to almost every time. Today when picking him up in her eyes I was 6 minutes late. Mind you she has no job and no car. She comes out the door and yells to my son " You forgot your fucking clothes on the couch you fucking idiot!"

    It took everything I had not to jump out of the car but I just turned to my daughter to ask how she was. I really want to know how I go about getting my son to live with me full time. The only reason she would fight me on this is because my child support is her only income and if she has a child and I have a child I feel like I shouldn't have to pay child support. The child support doesn't matter to me but I feel like my daughter gets babied and my son reminds her so much of me that she speaks to him like she speaks to me. I sat there for 10 minutes with her yelling at the top of her lungs about me being 6 minutes late. She was also yelling to my son "alAnd we are all going swimming tomorrow and you're fucking gonna stand there and watch and not do shit!"

    She is also very manipulative. She told me to be there by 6 as a way to control me when me showing up any later wouldn't have caused any harm.

    I need help. Where should I begin. I live in Iowa.

    TL;DR: ex wife is verbally abusive and I want my son to come live with me.

    submitted by /u/ragingtyrant89
    [link] [comments]

    Should I block my mean neighbors shed door with a new fence?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    Hello reddit! Sorry for the long read. I'm in need of some advice. I'm from the US.

    There's been an ongoing situation between our neighbors and ourselves. They keep encroaching onto our property by adding a small tree that is 50% on our property and they've built a shed directly on the property line that opens in such a way that they have to step onto our property to get into it. It opens over the line. They've been cutting the grass way over the line for a while as well. About 10 feet over the line. It keeps becoming more as time goes on.

    When my son (16 at the time) politely asked them to stop mowing our side, they proceeded to yell at him and curse him out in front of my other child who's 8 and has special needs. After a few minutes, my spouse came outside to see what was up.

    They turned on him and attempted to bait him into a fight. Keep in mind, he is also disabled and walks with a cane. They were saying things like, "why don't you come over here and say that?" And, "I'll beat the crap out of you." All my spouse was doing was asking them to stop cursing around our children. Keep in mind that my children are still present. My spouse eventually just made the children come back inside to Deescalate the situation.

    Another time, they were having a yard sale and were telling people it was alright to park on my lawn. I asked the visiting couple nicely if they would mind moving their car and all hell broke lose!

    After, the woman neighbor started shouting at me for a few minutes and calling me names, I felt threatened so decided to call the cops to have a paper trail of the harassment.

    Since this incident, they've started throwing dip cans and soda bottles filled with urine onto our property. They also let their dogs poo anywhere they want.

    The question: We've decided to build a fence in the hope that this will be the end of it. However, should I be the harbinger of Karma and build the fence right on the property line? They would have to move their shed and their tree.

    I feel like it's being petty, but they've just been horrible neighbors. They won't even let me walk my dog past their house. They've demanded that I cross the street.

    Should I be nice or should I bring them the Karma I believe they deserve?

    TL;DR: my neighbors are horrible people that are stealing my land and curse out my children. Should I inconvenience them with a fence blocking their misplaced shed?

    UPDATE: apparently, seeing the markers in the lawn from the surveyor made the neighbors change their attitude. While walking my dog this evening, the male neighbor stopped me and asked if he could talk with me for a second. I thought "here it comes" but I was wrong! He apologized...a lot! For everything! And he said he just wants us all to be neighborly. Felt like the twilight zone.

    What I'm thinking though is that he saw that his shed was flush with the line and knew I could make him move it. Thank you all for the great advice! I'm still going to look at surveillance equipment though. It's just a good idea in general.

    submitted by /u/thepeanutgallary
    [link] [comments]

    A contractor sent a crew of 20 men to level out our yard with dirt. Afterwards, we found shards of glass mixed in the new dirt. We tried to pick out some of the glass, but we no longer feel safe letting our toddler play in the yard. What is a reasonable request for rectification from the contractor?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    County sold us someone else's land. We put a house on it. House is possibly on other person's land; boundary line is unclear after survey. Now other person's land is being auctioned off.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    My family bought a piece of land in the 80s from a tax auction and put a mobile home near the center of the parcel. Later it was discovered the land was actually 2 parcels and the second was owned by someone else. The county sold land it wasn't supposed to.

    We had a survey done years ago and the boundary line could not be determined due to the title source being unclear. In the 1800s one man sold it to 3 others in equal pieces without clear boundaries. The parcels in question come from two of the men it was sold to. If you cut the land down the middle our mobile home is on the other side. The surveyor told us we'd have to negotiate a line with the other owner. They also found that the 2 parcels are together 2 acres smaller than what's on the tax map. We haven't made the survey public yet.

    Now the other parcel is being sold in a tax auction. The auction site has the incorrect size from the tax map and says it appears to be the site of an old home. The only home on either parcel is ours. You can't see anything from the road. What should we do? Whoever buys it isn't going to know about any of the problems. Is there a way to stop the sale until the boundary is determined?

    Virginia

    submitted by /u/SnooSeagulls6242
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] [Treelaw] Neighbor wants me to pay for getting branches removed over her property from tree originating from my property

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    Tree in question: https://i.imgur.com/7a6tQa0.jpg

    Yesterday, my neighbor approached me attempting to scare me into paying for branches that are hanging on her property cut from a tree on my property. She cited things like it's not safe for her dogs, a storm will damage the hanging branches, and concerns about property damage. Eventually she asked to split the cost with them after I was non-committal. I firmly stood my ground and politely declined citing budget concerns. I also told her that they are free to do with the branches on their side as they please.

    I know in Texas if it's on your property it's your problem. The only way I can be held liable is if the tree was in poor health and damage to their property occurred due to my neglect. Otherwise, an "act of god" such as a storm would be on them. I've started a google doc to document our interaction and the state of the tree. What else can I do to cover my butt? These neighbors scare me because they are always staring at me when I am outside working on my property.

    submitted by /u/vbbp
    [link] [comments]

    Ex Girlfriend is trying to come get “our” stuff after vanishing from my life over a year ago

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 11:22 AM PDT

    Disclaimer: Some background on the relationship will be in this discussion of context. I'll try to not get too in depth with it and keep it to the legal points and only add when I feel like context is needed.

    About a year and 2 months ago (July 2019) my (30m) then girlfriend (30f) of 4 years moved out suddenly. We lived in Maine, USA. She basically ran away taking her clothes and personal belongings one morning. It was completely "there one day and gone the next"; within 24 hours we went from together to completely separate and communication completely stopped from her. I tried to get in contact with her with very minimal success because she blocked me on all common means of communication and social media.

    Only once did she contact me trying to get more clothes (October 2019). At that time, I tried to talk to her about two things (1) our relationship and where it went wrong and got nothing and (2) I also told her I'd prefer if she got all of her stuff (furniture and niknacks (sp)) with her leftover clothes all at once. She said it would be better to review the stuff and see about what stuff she was actually taking once she got to the house; I consented you that arrangement. She did and we walked through the house and I offered to buy some stuff that was realistic for me to keep at the time or things we purchased as a couple. She took only her clothes. Almost all the house was furnished as a couple. I don't remember who bought what. It's been 3 years since some of it was purchased!! She was supposed to provide me a list of stuff/prices she wanted to complete the arrangement of closing our relationship for good. She never did; instead she vanished again until now. Not a single word. Since then I've moved on with my life. I stopped wondering when she'd text me again. At some point during quarantine (maybe April), I blocked her number and Facebook and Instagram just to completely take the wonder out of "Will she ever reach out". I was done and it was more ceremonial than anything since I was blocked by her anyway.

    Today August 2020, her mom reached out to me asking to come get her stuff. Shes now trying to say that she wants to take most of it saying she bought it. I estimate the value to be somewhere between $2,000-$3,000 with if stuff but I am airing on the high side; I just know furniture is expensive and adds up quick. She's had over a year at this point to figure this out. I've moved on and have assumed I'd never hear from her again. Do I have some type of rights of ownership to this stuff that was bought jointly that I've lived with for over a year and she hasn't bothered with during that time? She hasn't stepped foot in the house since October where I specifically told her to come get it and provide me prices and negotiations.

    Thank you in advance for any advice!

    Edit: added state of "our" house. Also for context, the estimated value of the items in questions.

    submitted by /u/roastbeef360
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] I shared a private Facebook post about my rapist. Others want to share it because I was a child at the time and this man does public entertainment and he's Santa Claus every year at the Mall. Could I be sued if I make the post public?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    Every bit of my post has been true. He was my mother's husband. Happened from 5 to 8, so all proof is now gone. He works in public entertainment, and he does do Santa and the Easter Bunny every year. While I want it to be public knowledge because he works around children, could I be sued for my Facebook post if he loses business because of it?

    submitted by /u/Darogaserik
    [link] [comments]

    How can we protect our property and ourselves from our neighbor's house fire a year ago

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    This is in Maryland. Our neighbor was renting his townhouse out to some irresponsible tenants. They burned down his house and did serious damage to ours a little over one year ago. Our homeowners insurance paid for our rebuild, no issues and we moved back in February this year. The problem is that whoever holds the possession of the property still has not rebuild the property or have a temporary roof on. We had to move out due to my husband's military order and we switched to landlord insurance. Our HOA told us there is NOTHING they can do.

    Last week, our tenants indicated there was water leaking into the first floor garage from next door through the shared wall into the first floor garage. They raised concern over the possibility of mold. We purchased a dehumidifier for the garage and are waiting for the results of a mold test. We are also waiting to hear back from our insurance.

    My questions are: 1) Should this fall under our original homeowners insurance because it is an ongoing issue still resulting from the original fire next door and this possibility was a concern we had previously raised? The claim is actually still open while we finish up a supplemental personal property claim for a few household items.

    2) If we need to file a new claim with our new insurance company, could they deny our claim, citing a preexisting condition or something?

    3) Ordinarily, the owner next door would be liable for our damage, but since he foreclosed, who is liable? The bank? No one? Us?

    4) If both our insurance companies deny the claim, do we have a legal claim against anyone to pay for the damages from next door? If it's the original owner and he declared bankruptcy, even if we sued would we get anything? Is the bank liable if they foreclosed on the property? Are we screwed?

    5) This has been an extreme emotional and mental toll on my husband I, is there any compensation above the physical damage to our house that we could legally pursue?

    6) What kind of lawyer would be best suited to handle this? There is one attorney who wants to charge us $330 per hour just for consultation. Is this a reasonable rate?

    submitted by /u/Heavy-Mulberry-827
    [link] [comments]

    Business Pretending to be Me on FB??!!

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 06:02 PM PDT

    Location Texas

    My small photography business got a call from an angry guy with an issue with his drop ship kitchen stuff order that was advertised on Facebook.

    This sketchy website has completely taken my LLC name and my address and is drop shipping kitchen stuff with "easy returns" to my company.

    I don't even know where to start with this. It's hosted by Woocommerce, but there's nowhere to report it there. The credit card processor is Stripe, but they don't have anywhere to report either. I think I reported it to Facebook? I am freaking out.

    submitted by /u/sirwagmore
    [link] [comments]

    University accepted me to their program. I bought all required supplies and uniforms, but now they're saying they might revoke my admission due to their error.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 01:06 PM PDT

    I was accepted into a reputable university in DC. Due to an error from the admissons department, I was accepted into a program that I did not meet the requirements for. My enrollment may be revoked and is pending further evaluation from the dean of admissions. I have been accepted into the program since May and have purchased many materials to prepare me for the fall semester that are specific to this university and cannot be used elsewhere.

    I spent the whole summer preparing to go to this school and was looking forward to it. By accepting their offer of admission, I declined admission to many other great schools. Now it is too late for me to apply to any schools for the upcoming fall semester, which puts a halt on further advancing in my career.

    Can I sue the university for losses, ie. money they don't reimburse, time, or for emotional distress? Is there a case here, or am I just SOL? I appreciate your input.

    submitted by /u/Sad-Sack-Student
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend asked roommate to move out and she retaliated by smearing shit everywhere before leaving.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 03:17 AM PDT

    "Shit" as in literal dog(?) shit, in case that isn't clear.

    This is in Maryland. Girlfriend has been staying with me and my family since last Monday.

    What happened:

    Roommate moved in at the end of July after previous roommate moved out. New lease wouldn't start until early August so new roommate was never on the lease nor did she ever pay rent before this happened.

    New roommate turns out to be a complete nightmare. One example, my girlfriend tells her to stop eating her food (she literally can't afford it) so roommate starts threatening her by slamming doors and banging on the walls (and keeps eating her food anyway). Another example, she constantly breaks my girlfriend's things and leaves the front door unlocked. So an all around aggressive and immature person.

    Girlfriend is starting to become scared of roommate and finally decides she needs to go when she searches her name and finds assault and peace order records from earlier this year. So last Monday I helped her move all her valuables out of the apartment, locked everything else in her bedroom, and left a note for her roommate to drop her keys off by Sunday and evict.

    Girlfriend called leasing office on Monday (two days ago) and they say keys were never dropped off (they are aware of the situation at this point). Tuesday (yesterday), girlfriend goes to check out the apartment and there is shit and piss EVERYWHERE (possibly from a dog but roommate didn't own one so who knows), like shit was rubbed deliberately into the carpets. Maggots are all over the kitchen so she probably left long enough ago that there was time for it to get to that state. A lot of items are missing, presumably stolen (but luckily nothing super valuable). Girlfriend cleans everything up, just wanting to get it over with. Girlfriend finally goes into her LOCKED bedroom and finds that roommate broke into it and smeared shit all over her door and under her bed. She didn't thoroughly check the storage boxes under her bed or the clothes she left behind so she's unsure at the moment if anything was tampered with or stolen. She takes pictures of the shit in her room and then calls the police.

    Police tell her to file a report online. Website tells her she can't because she knows who the suspect is. She calls police again, they say they're sending someone to take a report, and then take it back and say no they aren't actually sending anyone and that she should just go to the courthouse and get a peace order. So a police report never got filed as far as I understand.

    Girlfriend emailed the leasing office about getting the locks changed since roommate still has a key, and about a cleaning service for the carpets. Will probably hear back sometime today.

    So I guess my question is, what the fuck now? Is she just going to get away with this? This is all so disgusting and scary. Please advise.

    Will edit for updates if possible.

    Edit 1: Locks have been changed and she's getting the new key later today (Thursday), and then I'm going with her to the apartment to check things out. Carpets are getting cleaned professionally by a company hired by the apartment complex probably tomorrow. She's paying for all of these services out of her own pocket of course. Going to try to get to the police station too.

    submitted by /u/shittyroomm4te
    [link] [comments]

    My company is firing and putting people into disciplinary action for attendance due to negative Covid tests results, do they have legal grounds?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 05:46 PM PDT

    Alabama.

    The policy states that it's of course mandatory to follow CDC guidelines ...testing means absent until results are confirmed. When negative results come back you are required recover those days with personal time.

    If no time is available ..as always ...you take attendance hits. And last year our attendance policy was strengthened with only two unexcused absences per calender year if used last quarter ...as it's a rolling calender based on percentage of scheduled days worked VS missed ... ..and max of 4 per rolling calender before automatic termination.

    Negative Covid test results are making people liable for attendance ..if you have no personal time. ..and you took 4 days to get your results back ...and the result is negative ...4 attendance hits ...and dismissal.

    Is there legal grounds for this ?

    It should be noted we are a very LARGE company several thousand personnel spread over multiple shifts and disciplines.

    We have a Covid facility on sight as well as a medical facility. and many are going through an appeals process. My theory is the appeals process is designed to weed out people who just want a few days off ....under the belief that those who are innocent and worthy will fight for it ...

    We recently had a briefing from Safety department ..again ..if your results come back negative ..you must cover that time with personal time ...FMLA will cover positive results only ...

    Therefore ..there is NO incentive and only discouragement towards getting tested.

    The environment is such that many people are walking around who need to be tested ...and are recommended to be tested by their own doctors ..who won't...for fear of disciplinary action.

    submitted by /u/TabulaRasa1187
    [link] [comments]

    Can I legally meet my Dad

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    So I'm 17 and turn 18 in January and I've lived with my mom for as far as I can remember and my dad's already contacted siblings and they've met up and they invited us to thanksgiving and I was just wondering if I could meet my dad without my mothers consent or if she could hold me back on some... technicality I guess

    submitted by /u/OneRedditBoi-2
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor keeps calling cops on my house!

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    Alright hello! I've never posted on reddit before and I really need some help please. I moved into this house about 4 months ago and every week, multiple TIMES a week, a cop will drive by, stop at my house, and shine his lights at it, then leave, and this happens after every time I have a guest over. I've had the cops called on me when i was grilling on my charcoal grill, they've been called on me for simply being outside in my front yard while i'm digging to uproot weeds. The very first DAY that I moved the cops got called on a false police report stating that I was blocking my neighbors driveway from enabling him to leave, I told the cops i wasn't blocking SHIT and they went over and verbally warned the neighbor against doing it again. I'm getting sick of this! And i already know which neighbor it is that is calling the cops on me.

    So my question for all of you is, if you would be so amazingly kind to help me, is:

    Is there a way that I can request a report of every time i've had the cops called on me and my family?

    submitted by /u/S0lanaceae32
    [link] [comments]

    Restaurant reporting incorrect tips

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    I'm writing this for a friend and I'm on mobile so I apologize for any errors The title basically states the issue. My friend lives and works in New Jersey at a restaurant. She was working during the Covid pandemic and was making very little in tips. Her employer reported an amount that was grossly inflated to what she had actually made. She doesn't know what to do. This is not their first issue in its mistreatment of their employees. Is this something an attorney would actually take on? She's been attempting to find other jobs, but it's difficult at the moment

    submitted by /u/reneemul
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment