• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 29, 2020

    Legal Advice - [CA] House buyer turns out to be realtors wife, now reselling it at higher price with better listing.

    Legal Advice - [CA] House buyer turns out to be realtors wife, now reselling it at higher price with better listing.


    [CA] House buyer turns out to be realtors wife, now reselling it at higher price with better listing.

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 08:11 AM PDT

    My GFs parents sold their house in an LA suburb and the realtor they engaged pretended he found a buyer. The buyer turned out to be his wife, unbeknownst to her parents.

    Now the house is up for sale again, with a much better listing (much better pictures) at a higher price.

    Besides this smelling really fishy, is this legal? Is it worth it to collect more information and contact a lawyer about it?

    edit: According to his yelp reviews, he has been doing this with several houses in the area.

    holy crap this is blowing up, thanks to almost everyone commenting!

    submitted by /u/fuckinghumanZ
    [link] [comments]

    New Street light led fixture now lights up my house like high beams from a car.

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 03:24 AM PDT

    I live in a farming community in Michigan. The street light across the road had it's fixture replaced with an LED. Now it lights up my yard and interior of my house like the mothership is landing. Can I hold them accountable for the light covering more distance than it should? Ideally I would like them to install a shield or lower the light so it only covers the road and not 200' beyond the road. If I ask and they say no, do I have any legal standing? Thank you.

    Also I know this sounds like a petty thing, but I moved out to the county 3 miles from where I grew up so that I wouldn't have bright lights, close neighbors and I would be able to enjoy the wildlife. I just want to preserve that anyway that I can. If it served a purpose I would understand, but if the light is going to be that bright it should be contained.

    submitted by /u/protreefaller
    [link] [comments]

    Hey. So my gym teacher is making us film ourselves doing exercises and stuff. He’s known to be a perv around the school (pardon my French) and I don’t feel comfortable sending him videos. Is it legal for him to fail me because I don’t feel comfortable sending the videos?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:06 PM PDT

    My dad has been skimming off my earnings... Advice please

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 12:10 PM PDT

    So after approaching my dad, who has been my "financial manager" for about 15 months, about wanting to take control of my finances (which was a good chat, ended positively or so I thought) from him. Then I was reviewing my accounts after we talked and after crunching numbers, I earned about 19.5K to date between what I made working and then through COVID benefit. I pay all my bills out of my one checking account (car insurance, phone, etc) and spend off of a Capital One card that my father reloads once a week with a $300 limit.

    I realized through looking through my transactions that my dad has been making e transfers into his account totalling the amount of 4.6K since Jan 1st, 2020. I do owe him some money but after talking this morning he said that I haven't made any payments towards that as a result of it being a tumultuous year, so to speak.

    So basically I just found out an hour ago that my dad has been skimming almost exactly 25% of every fucking dollar I've made this year and probably even before that.

    What the fuck do I do?

    submitted by /u/MrNMFC
    [link] [comments]

    VA Landlord Wants Me to Move Bed to the "Bedroom"

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    I live in a very small one bedroom shotgun apartment in Virginia. The rooms go kitchen, living room, bedroom. My landlord recently walked through (he's allowed to do this on occasion) and noticed that my bedroom was set up in the last room in the apartment. Since this room does not have access to the outdoors it is not legally a bedroom according to VA law. So he wants me to move my bedroom into the current living room (that has a window) and my living room into the last room currently the bedroom. Because of the awkwardness of having my bedroom be the access to the living room I do not want to move the stuff. Do I have to do this? I was under the assumption that the bedroom designation was about the way the apartment was listed and not a mandate for me to sleep there. Am I wrong? Do I have to move my stuff?

    submitted by /u/theturtlepear
    [link] [comments]

    Pharmacy shorted me on a controlled substance

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    Michigan (Not 100% sure I picked the right flair, sorry.)

    I get 150 generic brand adderall per month. I have been filling this prescription at the same pharmacy for nearly 3 years. I have been shorted by 1 at least 2 times, that I noticed. I never reported those shortages to the pharmacy because it's just one and not really worth the hassle of having to go back to the pharmacy and wait for them to count them out or recount their inventory. But today they shorted me by 10 pills.

    I take 5 a day, and most of them I have to take while I am at work. So when I pick up my prescription, I count out 100 and put them in my previous months prescription bottle and leave them at home. So I would have 50 in my new prescription bottle to bring to work. That way, if I lose them, or they get stolen or something, I'm not out my entire script, etc.

    While counting them out this morning I realized I was 10 short. I called the pharmacy and they asked me to come back with the prescription. While there, the fill-in pharmacist counted their inventory and told me he had exactly the amount he was supposed to have remaining. He said there wasn't anything he could do.

    I called my psychiatrist and left a message since he is closed until Tuesday. I'm not sure what to do now. My prescription says 150, that is how much me and my insurance paid for.

    My assumption is that there was a severe miscount before mine were counted out, or someone picketed them. I'd like the matter to be investigated but it doesn't seem like the pharmacy is willing to help me.

    What, if anything, can I do? If I have to have my psychiatrist call in another script for the 10, that doesn't resolve the problem that their inventory is obviously off, and that my insurance cover the full 150 when I was only given 140.

    submitted by /u/NapalmSunshine
    [link] [comments]

    My Amazon account was compromised. Orders were placed using credit cards in my mom’s name but the items are being shipped to a guy in a different state. I have his name, phone number, and address. What should I do?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 02:32 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit,

    I'm in PA. As the title says, my Amazon account was recently hacked. It started about a month ago, when I got an email in Italian saying that my Amazon account had been synced to a new email address. I assumed this was a phishing scam, so I ignored it. This past Wednesday I received a package that I had not ordered. I realized the item, a bicycle light, had been purchased using my mom's credit card, which had been saved in my account from a purchase I made on her behalf a while ago. Whoever did it had been ordering items and then "archiving" them in my account so they were hard to find. When I realized what had happened, I sent the light back to Amazon for a refund (about $30), deleted every saved payment method/credit card from my account, enabled 2 factor authorization, changed my password, and contacted Amazon about the breach. I also cancelled another order for a wallet that was to be delivered to my house. Amazon got back to me a day later, freezing my account temporarily and disabling 2 factor authorization (for some reason). I assumed all was good after that.

    Fast-forward to today. At 2am this morning, another purchase was made on my account, this time a baby toy. This one is not being delivered to me, but a man in New York state. The package was set to be delivered to a seemingly deserted building, but I was able to find the man's nearby home address, phone number, etc. using the other information he had entered into my account. In addition, he paid for the item (about $10) using a credit card in my mom's name. I do not know how he did this, as I had deleted all the cards in my account. Also, my mom does not seem to have a credit card matching the last 4 digits in the order invoice, so now we are wondering whether someone has taken out a credit card in her name. To be safe, my mom has frozen her credit lines and we are both keeping an eye on our accounts for activity.

    I contacted Amazon to tell them what happened, and they were useless. I am unable to cancel the order or change the shipping address even though it has not shipped yet. They said that they would look into it within 48 hours, which is the same thing they did earlier this week. I wanted to delete my account entirely, but that will void the $30 refund that is being processed from the first fraudulent order. I am worried that more orders will be placed. What do I do now? Do I file a police report? I have all of the information from the guy who will be receiving the package.

    tl;dr: I have the address and contact info of a man who will be receiving items purchased through my hacked Amazon account with my mom's credit card. Amazon is not being helpful. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/CertifiedReikiMaster
    [link] [comments]

    I know that the police officers and the detective that arrested me have falsified evidence against me. How can I prove it?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    TL;DR 8/6/2020 I was arrested for having weed. Live in NC. It's illegal. Yes I know. They took me to the station and as I'm sitting there handcuffed to the wall, the detective and police officer in training emerged from wherever they weighed my devil's lettuce and came out talking about how it was "42.27 grams". This is something I conveyed to my attorney as soon as he was retained. They released me that day and I was going to be a CI for them in exchange for dismissal or help on the charges. Being a recovering addict I had my doubts about helping them. The detective that was going to have me do this went on vacation the following week. So in that time I weighed my options and decided to lawyer up. So anything above 1.5 ozs is a felony. 42.27 grams is the amount I heard them say. It was in the booking area that is supposedly being videotaped and audio recorded. So when the detective got back from vacation and my lawyer spoke with him, he was told that I would not be cooperating because it puts too many things in my life at risk (family, sobriety [clean 4 years from heroin], the list goes on), the very next day the police were at my house and arrested me on the charges they had. That was expected. All of a sudden, the weight had changed. It went from 42.27 grams to 42.61 grams. Enough to make it a felony. I informed my lawyer and he said that would be something that you'd argue in front of a jury. The audio recording would reflect this. Anyone have any thoughts at all? Thank you and apologies for one long paragraph

    submitted by /u/antsinmyeyestrey
    [link] [comments]

    Job forced me to work a Wedding of over 175 people and I now have Covid

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    The title essentially sums it up. I work at a country club in Texas and my employers said working a wedding event was mandatory. The wedding was 175+ there were many extra guests that showed up. so I'm just sitting here sick with Covid after social distancing and not going out for who knows how long. I got my girlfriend and my roommate sick and now have a financial problem because how are we supposed to work. They are giving me a minimum "sick pay" to hold me off while I'm sick but now my girlfriend is screwed. And my roommates a contract worker, but he can't accept any contracts right now. Just don't know what else I could do, being forced to work the wedding made me sick…

    submitted by /u/mychillsex
    [link] [comments]

    Wire Fraud When Closing on Home

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 06:42 AM PDT

    Morning Redditors,

    Unfortunately, I have become a victim of wire fraud. This is my first time buying a home and I am set to close this upcoming Monday. On Wednesday of this week I had received an email from what I thought at the time was the lawyer that works with the title company. The email was asking to wire the closing costs of the home so we can close on time.

    I didn't think of it much at the time, because the email looked exactly like the email the lawyer uses to normally send correspondence, all the correct phone numbers and emails and letter head were there. I even asked in the email for the correct amount of closing costs to wire the money and the scammers had replied with the exact amount down to the cent.

    They had sent me the wiring instructions and like a complete fool I wired the money to the scammers account. Come Friday afternoon, 2 days later, I get an email from the lawyer asking me to wire the closing costs, so I immediately call them and tell them I had wired them the money two days ago. I said "You emailed me Wednesday the wiring instructions". The lawyer said no, I have not contacted you at all for closing costs.

    At that point I went back to look at the email and thats when I saw the actual email itself (checked where it came from) wasn't the same as the laywers. Luckily I still have some money to close on the home Monday, however I will completely depleted of cash savings. I feel completely violated and cheated. It baffles me how the scammers knew all the intimate details of the transaction.

    I've already contacted my bank to try and initiate a wire recall, but the money was already sent. I also tried contacting the receiving bank (Wells Fargo) and told them what happened and requested to freeze the receiving account but they said they cant just freeze accounts and had to open a case for me. At this point I am aware I can safely say I will never see that money again.

    It baffles me how the hackers/scammers knew all the intimate details of the transactions. The title lawyer told me that my email was probably hacked and I said thats not possible because I change my passwords monthly and have 2 factor auth set up. I get notified on my phone if anyone attempts to access my email.

    With all this said, is there any chance I can possible hold the title company or any other involved party liable for this? To me its pretty obvious that they might have a breach of security at their offices. What legal recourse do I have if any?

    EDIT: Charlotte, NC

    submitted by /u/ImmunogenicError
    [link] [comments]

    [TN] My mentally disabled father is determined to panhandle at the convenience store down the road

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 01:24 PM PDT

    (Posting from an alt account) My early 60s father suffers from a documented mental disability and my mother and I have been his care-takers for over a decade now (but there is no official guardianship in place). Unfortunately he also suffers from nicotine addiction which has occassionally caused tension with other family/close friends. Today he decided to cut out the middle man and walk to the convenience store to panhandle. Luckily it was extremely hot and he allowed me to take him home before he got there.

    My question is, what sort of legal options do I have to prevent this from happening in the future (that don't involve him getting arrested)?

    submitted by /u/code303
    [link] [comments]

    Legal adult moving out from parents' without permission — am I legally able to bring my desktop PC with me?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    I'm moving out of my family's house in four days, and I haven't told them — I'm intending to bring over a friend to help me move my stuff to a long-term AirBNB I paid for with my own money (so pretty much a "house with roommates" situation).

    My only issue is that my parents are overprotective, controlling, and abide by a stereotypical Vietnamese "family sticks together until you move out after marriage" attitude. They have a history of parental emotional abuse (only I can testify to that, as my brother is has severe autism and is nonverbal), and they're going to fight me to the death when I spring this on them on Tuesday morning, the day of my move. I wouldn't have a foot out the door if I told them before that.

    If they fight, I plan on calling the police over to confirm that this is my legal right, as an adult, to leave and that they can't physically stop me.

    Most of my things from my room should be easy to take, but I'm most concerned about my desktop PC and monitor. Technically, they're gifts from my father to me. The monitor was his (old, no receipt remaining) and has been in my possession for over a year now. The desktop PC was purchased on his eBay account, given to me in the box and used exclusively by me this past year as well.

    Where am I in this situation, legally speaking? If they try to demand the PC and monitor back, can I — for example — fork over money in front of the police and say "this was a gift to me from you, but I'm paying you what they're worth, so you have no legal grounds to decide what I do with these"? What should be my approach here (or am I doomed)?

    For context, I'm 21, located in California.

    submitted by /u/keian_nr
    [link] [comments]

    Moved into a new apartment, and 2 months in somebody's been breaking my windshield wipers. Finally caught them; what action can I take?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    A little background: I moved into a new apartment early July with my girlfriend. We've been here for about 2 months. We take turns to alternate parking each other's car in a garage that is shared with 4 other tenants.

    Fast forward a month and a half, I find that her left windshield wipers have been majorly bent. We think it's one of the tenants, but we're not sure, so we call the leasing office. They don't do anything about it. They tell us that the outside of the garage is monitored by security cameras, but because the time range for when the person might have damaged the windshield wipers could have been from Monday-Friday, they aren't going to check the security camera footage for the entire week. OK. Maybe someone tried to slip a paper into the windshield wipers and broke it? Let's move on and forget about it.

    A week later, my car is parked in the garage. Same thing happens; my left windshield wiper is now broken. We're sure this is deliberate now, but again we're not sure who, although the time frame for when it happened was between Aug 21 9PM - Aug 22 1PM, let's say. Again, I call the leasing office, giving them this exact timeframe, and they call all 4 tenants in the garage to ask if they've heard anything about this problem. Nobody says anything. The leasing office ensures me that this problem won't happen again. They say that they'll review the security camera footage and get back to me (they don't).

    At this point, we're fed up with this bs, and we buy a dash-cam camera for $150 off of Amazon as well as a 16GB SD card. We check it every day and delete old camera footage just in case.

    Today comes, and I go out into my garage to see it's been damaged AGAIN. This time, I have footage, and can verify that it's one of the Security Guards who work for the apartments.

    This is my first time dealing with anything like this. What are my choices here? Can I press charges against this? Any advice is welcome, and I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this type of question.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/dppham1
    [link] [comments]

    Someone stole my intellectual/creative property—what’s my first step?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    This is not actually about me but about my husband. Any guidance is really appreciated!

    My husband is a hobby composer—he has a library of virtual instruments and likes to create orchestral arrangements/songs and then put them on YouTube.

    Last year he did a medley of Christmas songs (all old carols/copyright free) and did a unique arrangement with them. He posted it on YouTube—he doesn't have a big following so it was maybe a couple hundred views, if that.

    Well, a couple weeks ago his video got removed because someone claimed it was a copyright violation. We don't know the person, and it was my husband's unique arrangement. We understand that copyright scams happen on YouTube so we figured we'd escalate it to the next step with YouTube and try to fight it but either way no big deal. It's not like he was making money from the video anyway.

    Well, as he started to dig into the situation, he discovered that this person ripped his song off YouTube and published it as their own song on their own album, and now is removing the video from YouTube claiming that we infringed his copyright. This is much more upsetting as they straight up stole his IP (even though he didn't bother to copyright it).

    What kind of action can we take? We don't even know how a consult would work or if we could talk to a lawyer for free to see how viable the case is and how much it would cost us.

    submitted by /u/katbreit
    [link] [comments]

    PA Nursing home refuses to treat COVID 19 survivor trapped on Covid 19 floor, emergency advice needed.

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    A county run nursing home in PA with some of the highest covid 19 deaths is keeping a covid 19 survivor "trapped" on the covid 19 floor. Even though they tested negative twice weeks ago, they were not allowed back to their private room at the nursing home.
    They are not allowed any visits from close relatives.

    This particular patient seemed to be recovering okay until late Thursday night. Mid 70s, only issue was diabetes before covid 19. Patients parents lived until their late 90s.

    In conversation with a nurse on a phonecall Friday afternoon, it was discovered that the patient had mutism (wouldn't speak) staring, and rigidity. Eye movement was noted.

    On Saturday, conversation with another nurse revealed that patient had been responsive, eating, and engaging in conversation early Thursday evening. That was the last time the nurse saw them until Saturday morning The nurse attested that patient now had fixed eye staring, no tracking. No movement, mutism, would not swallow water. They said just like Friday, vitals were normal.

    This immediately indicated that the patient is in catatonic state. "Catatonia." Nurse was alerted to this fact. Nurse stated that perhaps patient had mini stroke, but didn't see how catatonia could be related to covid 19 or patient's current state. Really? Patient is basically a 3 on Glasgow Coma Index.

    The common "test" for catatonia is a challenge test with IV does of ativan or other benzos.

    Nurse was asked about this. Also was asked if any doctors were consulting.

    No doctor could be reached and nurse stated their is "no way" that ANY nurse would give a NON AGITATED patient ativan.

    Nurse was informed that patient had PAST history of catatonia over a decade ago.

    So this is turning into an alarming emergency as Nursing Home refuses to do anything except "observe" patient and change their depends.

    Is there any way to intervene from afar before it's too late and this patients needlessly slips away because of untreated catatonia turned lethal?

    TL;DR Nursing home in PA won't treat covid 19 survivor/resident who is suddenly catatonic. How to intervene when nursing home refuses to intervene and is on track to let them die instead?

    submitted by /u/watcheryou
    [link] [comments]

    Renting an apartment, management lied about our unit saying it was renovated but it was not.

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    We're renting in Georgia, USA. So our move in date is today, we were told we were getting a renovated apartment and showed us a video about how a renovated unit looks like and it looked amazing. The unit we saw today looked terrible, the unit looked nothing like what we saw. The wood was old, moldy and falling apart. The floor in the video was all hardwood with carpet in the bedrooms, the floor in our unit was all carpet everywhere and the cheap plastic that looks like tile. There's low spots and dents in the floor as well as the walls. Some cabinets in the kitchen won't stay closed and the appliances are all extremely weathered. It smells like a sewer and it's probably because our apartment is right next to the dumpster. The lock on the front door barely works and the key is really hard to put in and take out. There's basically a problem with almost every aspect of this supposedly renovated unit.

    Is there anything we can do to get our money back and find a new place to live? All 3 of us each paid a deposit of $600, we're in college full time and barely make enough money we can't afford to lose $600 each. We asked to see the apartment early but they said it was under "renovation" and we couldn't see it. The contract doesn't say anything about our specific situation and honestly it doesn't say anything about getting out of this situation without paying 2 months of rent. There has to be something to get out of this because we were flat out lied too and we're paying way too much a month for this garbage apartment.

    submitted by /u/gwenythpaltrowcandle
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Raccoons destroyed lawn; Landlord says we have to pay for replacement

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    My partner and I just recently moved out of a rental property in the Bay Area. The property included a backyard, with a small grass lawn. The lawn was re-sodded just before we moved into the unit, nearly two years ago.

    When the lawn was re-sodded, whoever did the work did not perform it correctly -- they left the plastic netting on the bottom of the sod, which you are normally supposed to remove as you unroll the sod and lay it down on the lawn. This becomes relevant later.

    The Bay Area has a wet season / dry season climate, such that it rains a lot during the wet season, and not at all during the dry season. In order to keep the lawn and other backyard plants alive during the dry seasons, my partner and I dutifully watered the backyard once per week.

    Especially during the dry season, raccoons go looking for green, well-watered grassy areas, and dig them up to find edible insects. Back in April, on two separate occasions, my partner and I observed raccoons in our backyard ripping up the lawn to search for insects. Both times we chased them off, but they kept coming back and obviously it was not possible for us to guard the lawn 24/7. Eventually the entire lawn was destroyed. It looked kinda like this, except the damage was even more extensive, and for about 2/3rds of the lawn, the grass turned brown and died from being dug up / having the roots exposed.

    In our case, it was particularly easy for the raccoons to rip up the entire lawn, because they could just pull on the plastic netting under the grass that had never been removed when the sod was installed. This allowed the raccoons to "roll back" the lawn bit by bit with minimal effort.

    At the time we did not take any pictures of the damage or notify the landlord, because we did not want to pressure the landlord into re-sodding the lawn, figuring that it would be pointless because raccoons would just come back and destroy it again. It was probably a mistake on our part to not notify the landlord or take pictures.

    Toward the end of April, my partner and I got tired of looking at the sad dirt patch that our backyard had become, so we cleared away the dead grass and ripped-up plastic netting in the 2/3rds of the lawn that the raccoons had destroyed, and planted a garden in the dirt (pumpkins, watermelons, etc.).

    After enjoying a delicious harvest from our garden, my partner and I moved out of the property this month (August). We did not remove the garden plants before we left, figuring that it would be easier for the landlord to find a new lessor with a pretty garden in the backyard, than with a dirt patch.

    When the landlord performed the move-out inspection, the landlord discovered the garden where the lawn once was, and demanded that we pay to have the garden removed and the lawn re-sodded. The landlord is arguing that because we didn't notify her of the raccoon damage in April, and because we didn't take pictures of the lawn after the raccoon damage but before we cleared the debris and planted the garden, she has no way of knowing if there was actual raccoon damage or if we tore up the lawn ourselves.

    My partner and I feel strongly that we should NOT have to pay to have the lawn re-sodded (though we're open to chipping in for the cost of removing the garden -- however the landlord has yet to suggest such a compromise). We have some questions for the legal community:

    • Legally, can the landlord force us to pay for the installation of a new lawn, even though the old lawn was destroyed by raccoons?
    • Is it legally relevant that we didn't take pictures of the destroyed lawn before we cleared the debris and planted a garden, and is it legally relevant that we didn't notify the landlord of the damage when it happened?
    • Is it legally relevant that the sod was not installed properly (that the plastic netting was not removed when it was laid down)?
    • If we end up going to mediation or small claims court because we can't reach a consensus with the landlord, would it be worthwhile for my partner and I to submit a sworn affidavit affirming all of the details that I outlined in this post?

    Many thanks in advance for your help, Reddit.

    tl;dr: Raccoons destroyed lawn, we didn't take pictures or notify the landlord when it happened, later we planted a garden in the dirt patch where the lawn used to be, now landlord insists that we're responsible for paying to install a new lawn.

    submitted by /u/strog91
    [link] [comments]

    Previous Tenant Picking Up Mail at my New Apartment

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    Edit: I live in Pennsylvania, USA Hey guys. I tried digging around on the internet and can't seem to find anything so here I am. I'm renting an apartment, which I just moved into on the 1st of August. The people who lived there before me have been receiving and picking up their mail at my new mailbox. I actually just had a package go missing due to this, and they normally left my mail alone until now. Is it legal for them to be receiving and taking mail from my mailbox? I've caught them in the act and they ran off when I tried to say something. I tried telling the post office to stop delivering their mail to my address to no avail. Is there a next step I need to take?

    submitted by /u/dbella703
    [link] [comments]

    My 2 weeks notice

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm having trouble with my employer. I put my two weeks notice in almost 3 weeks ago, and I'm getting put on next week's schedule. I tries to ask my employer why, but all I got was "We're short staffed." In my opinion this is not my problem, and I want to tell him "It's not my fault you're messing up the schedule." That's just disrespectful, and I do feel partly responsible if they get messed up. I'm 16 years old, in Pennsylvania if that helps.

    submitted by /u/orange_4141
    [link] [comments]

    Mental Illness Used to Bar Ownership of Property in Retirement Community (IA)

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 10:05 PM PDT

    My grandfather has very generously offered to leave a home he owns in a retirement community in Iowa to my mother. My mother has been clinically diagnosed with schizophrenia. Per my grandfather he is concerned that due to my mother's diagnosis that she would not be able to demonstrate mental fitness when performing a physical exam that is apparently required before she could obtain ownership of the property.

    Generally speaking my mother would be able to pass a standard screening for cognitive impairment. She's schizophrenic which is very different from senile. My grandfather has indicated that the community he lives in has barred people from ownership in the past due to lack of "mental fitness" (his term). He has expressed concern that if management of the facility, which is a private company, finds out that my mother is schizophrenic that they will not let her take possession of the house that was left to her by his will. He has indicated that part of their contract process requires her to be the one to produce proof/support of their passing of the required physical and other screenings. I am any physician involved in any treatment plan or evaluation of my mother would be able to identify that she has is clinically schizophrenic. She has a text book presentation where she basically has a check mark next to all of the symptoms, and I'm fairly confident that failing to disclose a previously diagnosed mental illness could also potentially represent fraud, the caveat there is my mother doesn't actually believe she is mentally ill.

    I am of the opinion that an effort to deny her the ownership of a property in the community would very likely be illegal under the ADA due to Olmstead v. L.C., 527 U.S. 581 (1999). I suspect that they bill to Medicare/Medicaid when able to as they also operate a private health center. I also suspect that it would also be illegal to discriminate against her under the Fair Housing Act.

    I was hoping that the /r/legaladvice might be able to weigh in here and let me know if my instincts are correct -- that it would be illegal, even for a private senior living community, to exclude someone from owning property in the community due to a diagnosed mental illness.

    Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/DiosAias
    [link] [comments]

    CPA and his lawyer wife made themselves executor of my grandpas will against his wishes. Can/should we report both of them??

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    My grandfather remarried and asked his accountant/friend of 40+ years if he would get his wife to do a prenup for him. They told him it was too late to do a prenup which was a lie as they weren't married yet. They basically got him to redo his will and create a trust. They told him that everything would be going directly to his three children with some living expenses to his new wife. I decided to read over his will and discovered his accountant is now the executor of the will and everything my grandfather owns, which is around $1 million, will go directly to this accountant and his wife. His three children are not even mentioned other than the fact that he has them. We have a new attorney redoing his will but I wanted to post here and see if something should be done about this. I've considered filing a grievance on behalf of my grandfather with the state bar against his wife but can anything be done against the accountant??

    The language is clear as day that this was a scam and my grandfather is devastated. We obtained the originals from her office to destroy and hopefully this will be taken care of but it also now gives his new wife claim to his assets since no prenup was done. Looking for some guidance as to what to do with the attorney and her husband as they most likely are doing this to other people. Anything would be appreciated.

    Edit: I just wanted to say we are in CT and that we have what I think is evidence. My mother and aunt were in the meeting and have notes of what the attorney said, which is the opposite of what was done. They were the original executor and back up executor.

    submitted by /u/boonsk
    [link] [comments]

    Delivery Driver forced to take a debit/tip card instead of keeping the tips.

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 02:59 AM PDT

    It's pretty much the same as what this guy was going through here, only I'm in Missouri. https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/hrg1kd/employer_signed_up_drivers_for_debit_cards_to/

    Due to Covid we were forced to sign up for these Tip Cards at the beginning. For about 2 weeks we had to use them and were given no choice. Then people started paying in cash again so we no longer needed them. Well I guess my Employer signed a contract with this Skylight (a company I know nothing about that has all my information and is probably selling it to someone else), because now we're told any cash we have on us we have to turn into the store at the end of the night and our tips would be given to us on our tip cards. Only it takes till the next day, and in my case 2 days later for me to even access that money.

    Is there anything I can do about this?

    submitted by /u/UncleLeoSaysHello
    [link] [comments]

    Ex and I split earlier this year, never married, bought a house together. Is there anything I can do to get the equity back that I put into the home?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    My ex and I split up after 11 years together. We bought the house together ten years ago. I supplied the down payment and gifted that money to her so that the mortgage would be in her name (stupid, I know). I just didn't have the credit at the time but had the funds. Long story short, I paid the mortgage the entire time I lived there and even after she kicked me out. I had hopes of us reconciling our differences but that doesn't look like it will happen.

    Is there anything I can do to gain any of the equity out that I put into the property? Pretty sure the answer is no and I'm just out all that money, but wanted to ask what the Reddit legal team thought.

    submitted by /u/captfuckup
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment