• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 7, 2020

    Legal Advice - A woman I don't know has been telling people I tried to rape her daughter.

    Legal Advice - A woman I don't know has been telling people I tried to rape her daughter.


    A woman I don't know has been telling people I tried to rape her daughter.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    My friend texted me last night and told me that a lady had contacted her about me on Facebook saying that I attempted to coerce her underage daughter to have sex with me in a park. My friend showed me a picture of the girl and her mom and I have never seen these people in my life, nor have I ever tried to coerce anybody to have sex with me in a park. Recently I have had the feeling that my reputation had been slandered around my town. Odd things started happening like when I went to apply for a job and they heard my name they denied me immediately with no explanation. If this lady truly has been spreading these false accusations against me, and it has ruined my reputation oh, what can I do about this besides move away? These are serious accusations and I don't want this person to get away with this.

    Update: so I found out who it was. It was my friend Maddie who was 16 at the time and I was 24. We were just friends completely as innocent as that I had no other intentions. We went to go get frozen yogurt and when I brought her back I got a text from her saying that her dad said she's no longer allowed to hang out with me. I said that was really dumb but I understand why and I'm very sorry and that's the last time I spoke to her. And now it's actually her stepmom that's married to her dad that is doing this. Her actual mom is a very dear friend of mine and would never ever go against me like that. If anything she would want her daughter to marry me one day when we grow up. WHEN WE GROW UP. So now I really don't know what to do as pretty much everyone in my neighborhood and probably around the town thinks awful things about me. How do I go about clearing this up? Is there any way to clear my reputation?

    submitted by /u/BubbleTrash
    [link] [comments]

    [Update] My landlord is requiring that I provide them with medical records proving that my wife and I tested negative for COVID-19, or we will be evicted in 30 days. Is this legal? [USA-MO]

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:07 AM PDT

    Original post: https://reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/hm8qsv/my_landlord_is_requiring_that_i_provide_them_with/

    My wife and I refused to provide our landlord with any medical records, and she backed down completely and acknowledged that asking for them was illegal. The gist of what she said was "oh, I didn't know I couldn't do that".

    Here is the text message response we got from her.

    https://i.imgur.com/3DY87yf.jpg

    We will be filing a complaint with corporate but I doubt anything will come of it. We plan to leave here as soon as the lease is up.

    submitted by /u/-life_starts_now-
    [link] [comments]

    I was wrongfully issued a summons for walking a dog off leash in front of my previous address. I DONT HAVE A DOG TO WALK

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    I moved from my previous apartment (in NYC) of ten years last July (2019). While picking up a package my cousin had sent to the old address last week my old roommate handed me a pile of mostly junk mail.

    Hidden in the junk was a summons from January 2020 for walking a dog off leash in front of the park across the street from my old apartment. For one I don't have a dog and never have. There was a second letter saying they defaulted judgement to guilty bc I did not show up to the summons date (as I had no idea I had one bc I was never ticketed personally and the summons were sent to my old address).

    I had changed my address with the payroll company at work, the irs, and with banks immediately upon moving but I hadn't changed my address with nyc/dmv until more recently when requesting an absentee ballot.

    I am going to stress this again, I do not own a dog nor was I walking one in front of my old apartment on the date listed on the summons.

    My phone number listed on the summons jumped out to me and when I checked in my phone I noticed that my old landlord and his wife's numbers are only one digit off from the bogus number.

    I don't mean to get conspiratorial but they have three boys 15-20yrs that are somewhat bad kids. They also have a small dog that I never once in my years there saw on a leash. I'm fairly confident in my assumption one of the kids had the dog outside the apt without a leash, gave the cop my name knowing there was a record of me living there and then spouted off his parents number changing only the last digit. The ID number on the summons says "verbal." (I have a valid nys license number)

    I've sent a request to reopen the case as it was defaulted in March. I've provided the court with my W2 in hopes of proving my residency. But with the covid shut down I don't even know if I can expect a response? At the same point I am currently out of work with no real hope of my industry coming back and I am beyond uninterested in paying a fine for something I did not do.

    Do I have any recourse here? I would think it's a crime to falsely identify yourself when receiving a summons?

    submitted by /u/geegollygreat
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor thinks she has claim to the land around her mailbox.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    I have a nightmare neighbor who lives directly across the street from me. Her mailbox is on my side of the street and on the city right of use portion of my property frontage. All the mailboxes on my street are on my side as well for background info. For some reason my neighbor thinks that the portion of the land her mailbox sits on (about 8 feet in and 12 feet across) is hers to use and she treats it like her personal property. She has a couple plants plated behind her mailbox and she will shovel the snow directly around her mailbox, both of which I don't mind. However, she has spray painted large rocks to border the section and will come out of her house screaming obscenities if anyone steps within those rocks. It doesn't matter if it's a person walking their dog, someone from my house, or even a professional doing their job. Everyone is met with immediate angry yelling. I have tried to have a civil discussion with her about the rocks and was met with her screaming in my face, saying she wanted to hit me over the head with a rock, and moving the few I managed to get her to move back a couple hours later. There is no way to get her to speak like a calm and mature person at all. Today, we had the land surveyor out since we want to put a boundary fence up and she screamed at him because he was just doing his job. They left and about 30 mins later she walked onto my property and messed with one of the things they had left as a marker (not the official granite marker, just an orange tag). She seems to think that it is "city property" and that she is allowed to use it as she sees fit even though I think it is technically my land that just the city is allowed to use when they need to without permission from me. I have tried to ask the city, the postal service, the police, and most recently the land surveyor and no one can give me an answer to what I can do about her.

    Here's the advice I'm seeking: Does anyone out there have any experience with a situation like this? Does she have any right to use or go on that land because it is city right of use? Can I ask that she get charged with trespassing if she steps foot on that land or places anything on it beyond her mailbox?

    I'm located in New Hampshire. Please help me with this seemingly rare issue!

    submitted by /u/ZombieHunterM
    [link] [comments]

    My art is being sold on t-shirts from multiple websites.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:42 PM PDT

    I am a cosplayer in California. Last summer I finished up a creative mashup character that went viral and became really popular. Now I am seeing my creation being sold on t-shirts on random websites. They are made of actual photos of me from the neck down, with photoshop done to dress it up and make it compatible with this "all over print" style of shirt. But it is unmistakably my costume. They even title the shirts after the name I gave the character.

    I don't really know what to do. I didn't copyright or trademark the design or character name. And although it is technically different enough to be it's own character, as it is a spin off derived of original Marvel IP, so I don't even know if there is anything I can do? It just feels weird to see people selling tshirts and hoodies of me in a costume that I spent literal years building. :/

    It also seems like it would be really hard to contain or stop. Saturday I saw it on one website. Today when I searched it there were at least 6. They appear to be like the random kind of stores you see marketing those weird, oddly specific t-shirts on Facebook. I can only describe them as tshirt farms, where you can get almost anything printed on a shirt. I don't know if these people all just pay a flat licensing fee and get their designs from the same source of stock imagery or what?

    Does anybody have any experience with anything like this?

    submitted by /u/hotglueburns
    [link] [comments]

    I saw my stolen bicycle in a neighbor's garage. What do I do?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    Several months ago I submitted a stolen bicycle report from my yard. Today I saw a bike which looks identical to mine in the garage of a neighbor's (with whom there has always been a feud between us). What can the police do about this situation? I don't want to approach the neighbors too soon for them to simply scrap it before I can get it back.

    Thanks

    Edit: Location is Seattle, WA

    submitted by /u/MadScientist_8
    [link] [comments]

    "Not having a ceiling doesn't make the apartment inhabitable"

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    Kansas City, MO

    Background: I live in one of those yuppie overpriced "luxury" apartments that cost $1000+ a month to rent. Recently, my upstairs neighbor had a fire in their apartment, which triggered the sprinklers and flooded my apartment. I am already handling my damaged items through renters insurance. No biggie. Complex won't indicate the faulty party, presumably for insurance purposes.

    My leasing office just told me that they estimate it will take 2-3 weeks to rip most of my baseboards and ceiling as I am currently sitting in my humid apartment while their industrial fan and dehumidifier sipping on MY power (meaning my bill. most everything else besides A/C and microwave can't be turned on at this time, which makes my living room useless and I can't adjust my thermostat). I asked about accommodations such as a reduction in rent for this month or possibly moving to another unit (the unit next to mine is the same floor plan and is vacant...I get it's probably not just an easy 123 switch but I was trying to think of options).

    They told me they would not consider either option as not having a ceiling in my 500-600 ft apartment (excluding my bedroom and possibly my bathroom) didn't make the apartment inhabitable (I guess that's technically true). Here's the thing because of COVID, I am WFH most days and can't exactly have industrial fans and dehumidifiers in the background on top of whatever repairs they are doing at that point and time. I also don't exactly want to play "how many people can we cram into the 500-600 ft apartment" when Covid is still going on. My living room, where they will be doing the work, is about 90% of the square footage of the apartment, so I would also basically isolated to my room. They just suggest I use the common area "amenities" to do my job. My job is in the healthcare field so I don't really feel comfortable using a public space (discussing patient information) and I feel I shouldn't have to if I am paying the full price to occupy a unit that did come with a ceiling.

    Do I have anything in my favor here? They are asking me to pay $1000+ for an apartment I can't even really utilize.

    submitted by /u/charazar97
    [link] [comments]

    Can a landlord charge a prospective tenant to remove furniture before move-in?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:17 PM PDT

    Hopefully this is the right sub, apologies if it's not. This is in Maryland.

    I recently signed a lease for an apartment. Prior to me signing the lease I asked the management company (employed by the owner/landlord) if the apartment came unfurnished because I had my own furniture I wanted to bring. They say yes. I sign the lease, pay the security deposit and first month rent. Nowhere in the lease does it say it comes with furniture I am responsible for upkeep and such (only specific appliances).

    Cut to today they send me an email with an addendum listing a bunch of furniture that comes in the property and that I am responsible to keep it and keep it in good condition. I ask if this is needed because I don't want any of the furniture and they talk with the owner.

    Owner now says I will owe a few hundred dollars in " labor costs" to remove the furniture if I want it removed and store it for future tenants.

    Is there anything I can do about this? I feel like it's unfair because it's not my property and I was told the apartment would come unfurnished and now they want me to sign an addendum listing me as responsible for this furniture...

    submitted by /u/speedstermarie
    [link] [comments]

    Threatened with lawsuit for not including somebody in a WhatsApp group

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:12 PM PDT

    No... it's not a joke.

    My college batchmates and I graduated together 26 years ago. To keep in touch, we have several WhatsApp groups. Some are based on different regions where people live now so that they can meet from time to time, some others are based on topics, such as technical discussions, sharing investment skills, and so on. Some groups serve no purpose other than general conversations.

    We have a classmate (let's call him FS) who kept on bringing up themes that everyone else found completely distasteful (such as virtues of cannibalism, just as an example). FS either completely ignored or pooh-poohed everyone else's requests to move on from the topic. Not only he'd always be on one distasteful topic or another but he'd also keep posting dozens of very long messages every day. Eventually, people formed another group for general conversations and did not add FS to the new group.

    When FS came to know about it, he went all out in his campaign to be added to that group. While the group has many admins, he decided to pick one as the target. That target, as you can guess, is me. My first reply was polite with letting him know that while we liked meeting him in person, we found his online behavior to be atrocious. I even offered to organize a get together for him if he ever visited my region, New England; He's from Texas.

    FS is from a religion that is a minority in the US. We do have other people in various groups that are from that religion and some other minority religions and we did not have any problem with them. FS accused some others and me of bigotry. Having tried enough tactics, which included pointing out his behavior as the cause and at times matching his fire with fire, I blocked him from communicating directly with me.

    And that totally took care of the whole problem...

    Not! FS continued his barrage of trolling and threats in other groups and he was removed from almost all of them. Some of these removals were taken care of by me. There was widespread agreement on this course of action. At times, he even mentioned he knew where we lived and would take care of us. He also threatened to take various actions including legal ones. He also claimed to have ongoing discussions with "senior management" of WhatsApp, which has been a nice comedic relief.

    This has been going on for 1.5 years. Now, FS has sent me a letter that he has himself drafted and it's written like a legal document but is full of gibberish. He's threatening to sue if I don't resolve the matter within 45 days, which -to him- means adding him back to all groups and putting up with his behavior.

    I'm happy to ignore it. But it's known that he once sued his employer on frivolous grounds and lost $14K in the process. He lost the lawsuit.

    So, at the very least, he can create nuisance and financial loss. What's the best course of action?

    submitted by /u/Grav1tat10n
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] Is anosmia covered by the ADA?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    My employer is reopening after COVID, but is instituting a health screening before anyone is allowed to enter the office, which is awesome. All employees have to be working in the office by 31 July unless they have extenuating circumstances, which I do not, so I am required to go in if I want to keep my job.

    The COVID health screening my employer is using includes a smell test. It's a pretty great way to screen for COVID, but I can't pass it. I lost my sense of smell when I was kid, and cannot pass a smell test, not because I have COVID, but because I haven't had a sense of smell in years. Because I can't pass the test, I'm not allowed in the building, and so am not allowed to do my job.

    I've tried explaining this to my boss, but it's a building security thing, outside the control of my particular company. The boss has gone up the corporate ladder to see if this counts as an extenuating circumstance, but I've been told that the odds aren't good. I can provide all the documentation about the surgeries I had to try to fix my sense of smell, but it's not expected to work.

    I'd rather not lose my job, but it is a weird case. Is lack of a sense of smell a disability? Would me continuing to work from home since I can't pass the COVID test be a reasonable accomodation? I'd like to understand what my options and protections are. I'm all for public safety, but equally, I don't want to lose my job.

    TL;DR: I lost my sense of smell before COVID and now I can't pass a smell test. Does this count as an ADA-protected disability?

    submitted by /u/ThrewitontheReddit
    [link] [comments]

    A truck drove into my gravel driveway, parked behind my car and sped off trying to damage my car doing that twice.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    background. I live with my fiance and her grandmother we both pay bills and clean the house. Get food and overall help out whenever her grandma needs anything. Well her dead beat mother showed up one day with a random guy and just expected to have a home. They dont pay bills, they brought german roaches when they moved in. They don't clean. Almost set the house on fire etc, etc. (They are also major meth heads )

    Well, my fiance's grandmother had enough when I and my fiance heard the talking lies to a family friend about how we don't clean, etc. Etc. Well they haven't come back, she called my fiances grandmother trying to explain themselves but she told them we have alot of witnesses and they got caught lying then they hung up. Well about 1 hour ago we heard a truck speeding put side we looked outside and this truck backed up right behind my car and i guess watched too many movies and thought that that might throw rocks at my car damageing it. They did that twice in a 5 minute time frame. I could not see who was driving but im pretty sure it was a meth head friend of theirs. I am afraid they are going to come back and break my car windows or somethig similar. Anything leagal i can do

    submitted by /u/fcvnio
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor's landlord entered my property to cut down my tree.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    Apologies for the ramble...in Somerset County, NJ.

    I bought a house on 6/1. Didn't actually truly move in til about two weeks ago (just took my time getting everything over when I could.)

    My neighbor's landlord left a letter in my mailbox a couple weeks ago asking if I'd noticed a tree in my backyard pushing on the bottom of their fence (no...no I didn't) and can I remove it or move it, and left their phone number.

    This tree was definitely a few years old. It wasn't huge, but didn't just pop up out of the ground overnight. Why all of a sudden would it be an issue? They probably bitched to the previous owners of my house who did nothing because really, the tree was doing nothing noticeable to the fence. I chose not to respond to them on advice of my brother and others to just see if they say anything again and deal with it at that point (also, stress of moving and dealing with work, I just didn't see it as any sort of priority.)

    Anyway...I get home from work today and see a post-it on my front door from my neighbor (who actually lives in the house) saying to call her. We meet in our backyards, and she points out that the tree is gone (I didn't notice at first because I just don't go back there much right now.) She took pics and videos of her landlord going onto my property to remove the tree to show me (she tried telling them they couldn't do that, and she didn't have my phone number before today to call me.)

    It's not the tree that really bothers me...it's that someone actually violated my privacy and space by coming onto my property without permission and altering it in some way.

    I had my neighbor send me a few of the pics and videos along with the landlord's phone number. I called them and repeated several times that they did not have permission to enter my property, and if they do so again, I'll call the police, and after repeating so much, I just said "do you understand?" got a "I understand" and then I politely ended the conversation.

    Should I report this to the police now to get it on record? See if something happens again? Idk how close a tree can be to a fence, but they definitely had no right to enter my fenced backyard with a freaking chainsaw thing to cut down that tree. They also left the goddamn tree stump, so it's still touching their fence anyway, and it's just stupid looking.

    submitted by /u/SequinSocks
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fight the DMV, over something that I didn't do, when they won't even answer me?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 07:49 AM PDT

    I am having a bad day.

    This morning, I attempted to change my address on the Virginia DMV website. I was then met by the shocking news that my license has been suspended. I was immediately confused. I haven't done anything wrong, I've paid all my tolls, my record has a mild speeding ticket from 4 years ago on it, but otherwise is clean.

    After further review, it was determined that the cause of this suspension is that I need to provide proof of insurance on my 2003 Nissan as of February 4, 2020.

    The only issue is, I traded that vehicle to a dealership in November of 2019. My insurance was immediately updated at the time of this transaction, and my plates were surrendered to the DMV, before COVID shut everything down.

    Now, I can't get any response from the DMV. They are asking me to pay $650 to reinstate my license, and obtain an SR-22-- on a vehicle I no longer own. I could make an appointment to come into a branch, but their soonest available is not until Mid-September. I have requested an administrative hearing, but have not heard anything on that yet.

    What advice do you have for someone in this situation? I did everything I was supposed to This seems to be the result of their clerical error, for which I am being held responsible for.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/queen_frostine
    [link] [comments]

    (Arizona) My boyfriend's ex is stalking us and I believe she is sneaking around and in our home at night. I don't know what to do.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 06:52 PM PDT

    I am giving some important background information first. This woman was with my boyfriend for a few years. I am convinced she is a sociopath. She was terrible to him, cheated on him, and even filed a false domestic violence report against him because she was mad at him. (She even told his mother that she was going to lie and say he strangled her even though he didn't). They broke up and she quit her job, gave her kids to their dad (not my boyfriend), gave her pets to animal shelters and became homeless. She blames my boyfriend for this. Now she literally lives out in the wash with a bunch of other homeless people in tents and they just do meth all day.

    Last year is when I got together with my boyfriend. We were long distance and I came out to visit for 2 weeks but ended up staying. About a month after I moved in, we saw her at a store and she was PISSED. That night, she showed up at our house at 5AM on her bike, pounded on the bedroom window, and started screaming obscenities and false accusations at my boyfriend when he went outside for all the neighbors to hear. I stayed inside at the doorway and she began screaming at me, saying "he's going to beat you! this is what you have to look forward to!". (My boyfriend has never even come close to laying a hand on me even in arguments.) She then proceeded to punch him in the face several times and gave him a bloody lip. He said he was calling the cops, who I was already on the phone with, and she rode off. The cops came, took photos of him, and said they'd look for her to serve her a restraining order and they'd call when they served it. They never called. That was 6.5 months ago.

    Shortly after she began harassing him online demanding he gives her some stuff she left with him back that was in the garage. He wanted her to leave us alone so they met up somewhere and he brought her bag to her. She then proceeds to physically assault him again, I think on camera because they were at a public place, and it was in front of other people who she knew and kept telling her to stop. In self defense he pushed her away and got in his car and left.

    Since then, weird things have been going on. We hear voices outside around 2-4AM, several times a week. Like people are on our patio. We have 3 fish tanks in our laundry room, and now one of them has these DEEP scratches in it on the outside like someone dragged a knife through the glass several times. I have photos of the fish tank from before that was there, I know I'm not crazy. I noticed food was missing from the freezer in our garage, some of which was food for my boyfriend's mom and she was so excited about eating it, then it was gone. I know my boyfriend didn't eat it because he doesn't like that kind of food, and I can't eat it because I have food allergies. There have also been times I was outside at night and noticed a red laser pointer being shined on our house and around it. Sometimes our security cameras pick up what looks like a laser pointer. I no longer go outside at night.

    Then there was another time, I pet the cat before going to bed. My boyfriend was already asleep. When I woke up the cat was outside. There is no way she could have got out let alone got out and closed the door behind her.

    A few weeks ago we noticed distinct bike tracks in the backyard (we don't have a fence). I tried taking photos but it was dark and wouldn't show up. Just prior to that, our elderly neighbor called the police and had them check out her backyard because she felt like someone was out there. My boyfriend also recently noticed fingerprints on one of the windows outside the house, like someone was trying to clear the dust off of it and see inside.

    And most recently, my boyfriend's car started having major issues literally overnight. Yesterday it was confirmed by a mechanic that someone put something in the gas tank and that's whats causing all these issues. EDIT: It was sugar in the gas tank. Other car is fine as there's a gas cap lock. And we get gas from the same place. So obviously not the gas station.

    The weirdest thing of all is that we have security cameras, yet nothing on them, but his ex is aware of this and I think she knows how to avoid them. We only have 4 because that's all that the screen can show. Our patio is screened off and has locked doors. All I can think of is that she must have had a copy of the keys made when she was here. The locks are the same.

    All of this has been going on yet I don't have any clear evidence. That said, I'm not sure if I can file any kind of report or not. I don't think a restraining order is enough. She has friends who will do her dirty work for her, probably her new boyfriend(s), and if they don't know where to go to serve her, and we can't SEE her but just kind of know she's harassing us, I don't think that's enough evidence.

    Does anyone know if there's anything the police can do? What would your advice be? Thanks so much.

    submitted by /u/yewsurillusion
    [link] [comments]

    Seller trying to back out of sale after we're already under contract

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    My wife and I went under contract for a house in Georgia on June 26th. We are currently in our buyers due diligence period and we were notified today from our buyers agent, that the home owner has just decided they no longer want to sell. Our understanding of the law in Georgia is this is not legal on their part. They signed the contract to sell, we signed to buy and have already deposited earnest money.

    We currently live in Colorado and have spent a decent amount of money on a trip to view homes in Georgia. We read through the contract we signed and it looks like we are legally correct that at this point, only the buyer can back out and we would forfeit our earnest money. We are waiting on a call back from our buyers agent, but would just like to see if anyone has any advice or legal reference to this situation.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Charlietomahawk
    [link] [comments]

    Lawyer charging consult fee after offering advice?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 07:10 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm based in Canada and in the process of getting my permanent residency. When we first started this process in 2018, we worked with a lawyer firm my partner's company used, for which the company paid a $500 consult fee.

    In early 2020 we reconnected with the lawyer and his assistant to ask a question about my application, to which he responded that he would need to charge an additional $500 because he'd have to review my file etc. We decided to do it on our own and didn't move forward.

    About 8 weeks after that, I reached out with a general question (Non-file specific, advice on dealing with the delay given COVID), and the assistant responded kindly. Today I reached out again, another non-file specific but COVID related question (could they make a recommendation on a next step since I can't get my biometrics done). Again, assistant responded with helpful information and I thank her. Then, lawyer replies saying "we'll be sending a $500 invoice, I trust that's acceptable but let me know if not".

    I understand, looking back, that it may seem I tried to take advantage of this open line of communication with the two follow ups. However, if I had known this information would cost me $500, I would have looked elsewhere first. We will pay the fee if it's the right thing to do, but I would love some perspective. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/rightme0w
    [link] [comments]

    Child Labor laws and discussing wages at work was said to be ILLEGAL

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:17 PM PDT

    Hey there. I'm a 15 year old employed at a local fast food restaurant in wisconsin. I make 8 dollars an hour. (Pretty crap to be honest with you) But I've been working hard to get a raise to 9. My family is not wealthy and I need every penny I can get if I'm to go to college, So I've been working more frequent, longer shifts( more on that later), been coercing managers and coworkers to teach me other parts of the kitchen and all that. I was discussing my pay with a good friend/ coworker of mine in private, away from most of the people. I simply stated I jwould like to eventually get paid more . Another coworker walked by, asked what we were talking about and I explained. He told me he made 9 and thats how he started, I thought "I had more experience and I'm the same age but its whatever. I will just keep working" I made no issue out of it. An employee who is in cahoots with the owner apparently overheard the coversation, told the owner, and the owner docked the pay of the employee getting 9 saying that "He shouldn't have been making that much" He deserved that money and isn't getting it anymore. Then me and my close friend were brought into our office by our manager all hush hush like and told "I think I need to remind you discussing Wages at work is ILLEGAL and (owner) has the right to fire you for that. I knew that was bullshit. I'm 15 but I'm not that stupid. We discussed our own wages. To each other. No more.

    This whole event leads into my next issue. In the state of wisconsin you must be 16 to work over a certain number of hours a week, (I believe it may be around 16-18 hrs per week). A certain amount of hours a day, and you have to get off at a certain time. (7:00PM before labor day, After or During the summer 9:00PM) I have been working (at the most extreme) nearly 29 hours a week, sometimes 8 hours a day (with no breaks) and I feel as though bringing it to the attention of my managers would get my hours docked so severely, that along with the low pay, working wouldn't be worth it. Another thing I'm afraid to bring up is that I DON'T HAVE A WORK PERMIT FOR MY JOB. I asked about what I needed for that when I was first employed. Was told to worry about it after getting my information in the system, reminded them, was told to take a tour of the place.

    A week later I asked again but the manager blew it off.

    That same day I requested that I get the correct tax forms I needed to make me non-witholding as I didn't want to worry about taxes too much, and so that I would claim my money instead of getting a return (you can do that under the age of 16 and I believe in some other cases). Apparently I had already filed for that and my checks reflected that. However, a couple months into working, I was suddenly paying federal and state tax along with some other thing I hadn't seen on there before. (I don't have my stubs so unfortunately I don't know what is all was) but I Figured the checking company messed up or something and blew it off

    The next pay period I saw my check, and checked my tips. Saw that they were in the neighborhood of $20. Thats not too bad, but I've been explained to that tips are calculated by factoring in the amount of people working on a given day, and how long they were there. Having a more helpful manager go through the calculations with me, I found that I had gotten around 48 dollars less than my hours should have given me.

    I brought this to the attention of management and was told that I did not get to decide how much my tips would be and should be. I've just been getting fucked by them, along with others. What can I do to minimize damage, but make sure I am treated justly? I'd like to avoid getting the whole damn place shut down or fined as that will end horribly for everyone. Any advice on what I can do to negotiate terms?

    submitted by /u/rawothwa
    [link] [comments]

    Laid off, not furloughed. Called to work

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:37 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, this is my first post in this sub. I worked part time (full 29 hours) at a Radio Station in Albany, NY. Before COVID hit, my hours were 9-3 everyday doing promotional giveaways, social media, PR kinda stuff.

    When COVID came around, my company decided to save money by terminating me and taking away any access I had to the building, email, or anything regarding that nature. So I was not furloughed, but actually laid off.

    When I got that news, I went down to live with my fiancé in the military that was stationed in a different state. I also have been getting unemployment from them.

    This week, I was called by my boss to offer me 3 weekend shifts for about 15 hours total every weeknight. (Obviously different shift than what I was used to) I declined.

    I stopped filing for unemployment since I thought I was being asked to come back, but my boss told me that in their system I have been terminated since March.

    Am I still able to file to unemployment after all that happened? I am currently in Florida with my fiancé still and looking for work but I am an NY resident. I just am not sure what to do.

    submitted by /u/Ripstick0122
    [link] [comments]

    Ames Iowa. Signed a lease for a rental with parking, parking no longer available, and I need it because I use a wheelchair.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    I am in Ames, Iowa and signed a lease beginning August 1st (have not moved in yet). The rental is in a duplex and there is a parking area for 8 cars between the house and the one next door. The landlord told me when I inquired about the property that the rent did not automatically include a reserved parking space in the parking area, mentioning that many of his tenants don't have cars, but I could reserve one for $25/month.

    I agreed and the lease states "Landlord agrees to furnish one (1) parking space for Tenant's use for Tenant's expense of twenty-five dollars ($25) per month, due on the first calendar day of each month. Tenant is assigned parking space number ONE as designated my parking lot signage and paint. Tenant agrees not to park in any non-designated parking space except the stall assigned. Tenant agrees not to park in parking area any vehicle that is not licensed, insured and fully operational."

    I received notice via email last Friday that the parking space I was assigned is no longer available, that I will not be charged $25/month for parking, and that I should plan to use on-street parking (which is over a block away at its closest, but on street parking is heavily used in that area and I may need to park even further to find a space).

    This was extremely important to me as a renter because I am disabled and use a wheelchair, so I need safe and reliable access to parking very close to my home for my van. In my previous rental the parking was unreliable and I was sometimes stuck with on-street parking, which due to the nature of Iowa's snowy winters left me stranded in the street several times trying to get to and from my vehicle. I am not able to easily transfer from my wheelchair to a vehicle and my wheelchair is not collapsible; safe access to my own van is critical to my independence. The parking situation at my current apartment complex was the sole reason for moving, and the assigned parking space was crucial to my signing this particular lease vs some other place.

    I have spoken to the landlord Friday, yesterday and today. They were apologetic at first and said the reason the parking is no longer available is because the parking is technically attached to the plot next door, but they have sold that property. I have asked if I could rent the space from the new owners, but the new owners apparently plan to remove the parking area altogether and build a garage, so that will not be an option.

    I have asked the landlord to nullify the lease since they are no longer able to provide the parking space the lease outlines, but they are saying the rest of the lease still stands regardless of the parking and that if I no longer want to live there, I will be responsible for rent until a replacement tenant is found.

    I'm wondering how this works out legally or any advice. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/renovhateit
    [link] [comments]

    3 Day Eviction Notice??

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 04:56 PM PDT

    I'm not super confident that this is the correct place to post this so let me know if not. I got home from work today and there was a paper from my leasing office taped to my door. I read it and it said it was a notice to leave the premises and that I have to be gone on or by July 10th. The reason they stated was non-payment of rent. I pay online so I immediately went to the site and payed my rent. I thought I had paid it prior to this but I must not of finished it out or something. Is this just a scare tactic to get me to pay my rent or am I actually getting evicted? I've lived here for three years and have only ever been late once before and was just hit with a late fee. They give us a grace period to the 5th to make payment and it's the 7th so it's only been two days. I live in Ohio for informational purposes. Any advice would be super appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Naratoe19
    [link] [comments]

    Husband logs in as spouse, drains bank account and changes password.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 07:58 AM PDT

    Virginia:

    Hello, legal eagles! I'm writing for a friend- her account was hacked by her (separated without an agreement) husband. He transferred her money out of the account and changed the email and password so that she can no longer have access.

    My question is can he legally log in as her, and if not- what law is he breaking?

    Thanks for any help in this matter.

    submitted by /u/Eastpunk
    [link] [comments]

    Restaurant I work at is considering taking 20% of earned tips, is this legal?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:58 PM PDT

    I work at a restaurant in Colorado who tip pools all FOH staff. Since reopening from the pandemic the restaurant has decided not to tip out FOH staff and instead pay them an hourly wage that is equivalent to the employees average tip out (roughly $20-$30 an hour). They're reasoning behind this was to pay off their PPE Loan with the tips and use the loan for paying employees. This seemed a little fishy but everybody seemed fine with it. Now there are talks of returning to tip pooling but the owners will take 20% off the top of all earned tips. Is this all legal?

    submitted by /u/Bolognabill
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment