• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 22, 2020

    Legal Advice - UPDATE: My medical needs were not met by my boss despite my doctor/HR giving instructions. I had a seizure. My boss is asking me to cover for him

    Legal Advice - UPDATE: My medical needs were not met by my boss despite my doctor/HR giving instructions. I had a seizure. My boss is asking me to cover for him


    UPDATE: My medical needs were not met by my boss despite my doctor/HR giving instructions. I had a seizure. My boss is asking me to cover for him

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    Original post is Here

    HR already knew what happened, as some people suspected. They had been working with the owners of the building to obtain camera footage and card activity for the elevators. They just asked me to double check. I told them that "I didn't see him." I wasn't involved in every step of the process but he was placed on leave for the length of the investigation. HR ultimately passed it on to the Partners. Well, I instantly knew what would happen then. Most of the partners are "buddy-buddy" with him and allow him to get away with everything. This time was no different.

    They sided with him.

    Now my boss is back, meaner than ever. I'm really depressed, I guess my life was worth less than their friendship. Cool

    Location: California

    submitted by /u/soccerchiken
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE - [NY] UPS dumped around $10,000 worth of product infront of my store at 10pm on friday night (long after i was closed) over a week ago. My supplier is blaming UPS, UPS is blaming me and refusing to do anything. What can i do?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:19 PM PDT

    My original post can be found here: Here

    So after talking to a lawyer, he wrote a strongly worded letter to my supplier basically outlining that they are responsible for losses incurred during shipping (FOB Shipping). My supplier has changed their tune drastically after that letter and refunded me. Unfortunately they have decided to no longer do business with me anymore, which hurts a lot.

    UPS however is still a complete and utter mess, but someone told me to send it to a local UPS store via ups my choice, which actually worked for some packages while others seem to be stuck in internal limbo and are just not moving.

    Anyways with my lease renewal coming up i have more or less just decided to start winding down operations in the coming months and plan to close my store by the end of the year. This isn't happy ending, but between COVID / this screw up / having issues getting products my customers want i simply would rather just wind things down rather then trying to keep something going that isn't profitable.

    Thank you for your advice and help though.

    submitted by /u/HobbyAdvice912012
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord possibly gave everyone in my building a master key and I'm feeling very exposed

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    Edit: Thanks everyone for your help! I am sending an email to my landlord tonight to tell them I'll be changing the locks. After that's done I plan on talking to my neighbours to see if they also have these keys. If my landlord still hasn't gotten back to me by then, we will contact bylaw and the rental housing enforcement unit.

    Hoping someone replies to this as google has basically given me nothing.

    To preface, I should note that I am currently living in Ontario, Canada.

    This uncomfortable discovery has been in the making for the last couple weeks, but I've been living in my building (4 apartment walk-up) since September. Basically, I accidentally used my bike room key to unlock my apartment unit around 2 weeks ago. For some reason I dismissed this and just thought, "oh, that's weird" until I remembered a few days ago and double-checked to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

    I have since learned that my key also unlocks our fire escape door, which leads directly into my bedroom, the door to the roof of our building, and creepiest of all, the apartment unit above ours (my friend lives there and gave me permission to try). As if it wasn't creepy enough knowing that this was most definitely a master key, I discovered that 2/3 of my roommates have the same one.

    We have theorized that, when re-keying our apartment, our landlord accidentally gave all the tenants master keys instead of bike room keys. If that theory is right, then everyone in our building can access our unit any time they like.

    I sent an email to my landlord 2 days ago requesting that they, at the very least, change the locks on our apartment unit. They have not replied.

    I'm wondering if anything else can be done about this? While I don't have particularly sketchy people living in my building, my landlords say it was re-keyed about 2 years ago, so it's possible some tenants have moved out and kept their keys. Also, new people will likely be moving in in September. I'm just feeling very vulnerable; locking our doors feels useless now. I'm thinking about contacting the Landlord & Tenant Board, but I don't really know if I have a case. This feels super illegal to me but I really don't know.

    Sidenote: the cameras in our building are also being monitored by other tenants in our building. This was never communicated to us by our landlords, we only know because the girl who was previously living in the room I'm currently renting was told by the tenants who monitor the cameras.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    submitted by /u/privacy294985
    [link] [comments]

    Can my landlord restrict when I can enter my home?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    I live in a town house with a terrible parking situation in Asheville NC, and I just got a letter telling me that they are redoing the side walks in 4 days. The letter stated as follows. "Dear residents of 200, 800, 900, Your buildings sidewalks will be removed and replaced beginning next week. The work will begin Monday the 27th at 8 am and will continue weather permitting through the week. The goal is to be completed by Wednesday at 6 pm, however the weather could directly impact this schedule. PLEASE BE ADVISED that you will NOT be able to exit or enter your home from 8 am to 6 pm Monday, Tuesday, Wed, and potentially thru Friday should there be inclement weather. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT WE KNOW THIS IS AN INCONVENIENCE, however we believe the end result will be more than worth it. Monday the 27th by 8 am please move your car from your area's parking lot. This does include your assigned space. The entire area for your building must remain clear during the work. If you fail to remove your car from your parking lot by 8 am Monday the 27th YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED AT YOUR EXPENSE.
    You are welcome to use the overflow lot and the top of the property and the RIGHT side of the main road that runs through the property. Please also remember that there may be 24 hour spaces in other cul de sacs that are not being worked on. So long as the space does not have a number and letter, it is a 24 hour space to all residents. We will allow curb parking and parking in front of the mailboxes for this week of work. We do NOT own the no parking area in front of Willow Ridge on Chunns Cove and if you park there, we cannot speak for if the city will tow your car or not. PLEASE BE COURTEOUS WHEN PARKING IN THE MAIN ROAD as this is impacting everyone and we all need to do what we can to make room for our neighbors. To be clear, your car must remain REMOVED from the area Mon-Wed, potentially thru Friday should we experience a set back. Thank you for your patience as we work to continually improve the property! " My rent also includes charges for reserved parking, so I am utterly pissed off. Is this at all legal?

    submitted by /u/hasanyonefoundmyeye
    [link] [comments]

    Ex-Girlfriend came to visit, now she wont leave.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:24 PM PDT

    My ex-girlfriend said she wanted to spend a few days in New York before she left for good back to her home country. She already had a ticket I paid for and it was a matter of booking the flight.

    It was supposed to be 4 nights, but it's been a week now and she refuses to leave stating she "will leave whenever she wants".

    She does not have the keys to my apartment.

    I am fed up of her lies, her manipulation and parasitic behavior.

    She threatened to call the police when I confronted her about leaving.

    I asked her to please do so, to call them, but of course she did not.

    Since it has been less than 30 days, I could easily put her belongings in the bags she brought them in and just lock the door.

    Am I in my right to do so? Would it be any legal consequences?

    submitted by /u/ubntpal
    [link] [comments]

    Police asked me to come in for questioning, what should I do?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    Long story short. I have an ex that will not leave me alone and has went out of her way to lie about me and tell people that I harass her and won't leave her alone. We split up over six months ago. About three weeks ago I got a letter in the mail from a detective that said that I have been under investigation for months because of some allegations that have been made against me. The letter also said that if I do not call to schedule an appointment for questioning by a certain date that they'll "Consider it that I'm not willing to assist a criminal investigation." So I called in and asked what it was about and the detective told me that she works for some special victims unit and it has to do with my ex and something about harassment. She said that she is just doing a follow up investigation on a criminal complaint. But wouldn't say anything else about it.

    How should I take this? Anyone else ever dealt with anything like this? Should I have a lawyer? And do I even legally have to go in for questioning? Can they issue a warrant over me not going in?

    I have work and can't afford to miss and it seems like it's just more shit that my ex made up. I feel like it would be illegal for them to issue a warrant or even sorta threaten it how they did if I don't come in. Seeing as how I'm not being charged with anything because if I was they would just come pick me up.

    Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Mudslinger6464
    [link] [comments]

    Close on home today. This massive hole was hidden by TV during walk through

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    I closed on a home this morning and when I came in, the first thing I seen is this massive 2 foot by 3 foot hole above the fireplace. This was hidden by the TV the sellers had left up when I did the walk through the evening before.

    Below is a response from the seller when I told my realtor I expect them to fix it.

    "They are not agreeing to come fix that hole. They said that because you did a final walk-through and failed to look behind the TV, that is on you to fix. Legally, they are right. Closing signifies acceptance of the property in its current condition. And honestly, because you did a final walk-through, you have no legal ground to stand on, unfortunately. I'm so sorry. They said they were not hiding the hole. They were just waiting to pack the TV last into their car because it was fragile. That space was designed to put a TV up there so they assumed it was no big deal. It was like that when they bought it."

    I feel they were hiding it purposely and waiting to pack the TV is a lie because they had no less than five other TVs in the home that were all taken down and packed away. It seems to me by leaving the TV up and none of the others, that shows an intent to deceive and hide massive damage.

    This is in North Carolina and before anyone asks, I'm not hanging a TV above the fireplace because I hate that for several reasons.

    The Hole: https://imgur.com/gallery/pSLz55J

    submitted by /u/wevie13
    [link] [comments]

    Doctor won't sign my STD form

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    (Lakewood, Colorado USA)Background: starting in June of 2019, I was diagnosed with a DTV (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and PE (Pulmonary Embolism). I've had 4 stays in the hospital. My Short Term Disability kicks in after 2 weeks of missed work, so I have to fill out a 3 page form for every hospital stay- 1 page for me, 1 page for my employer, 1 page for the doctor I followed up with post hospital stay. After my second hospitalization, I was referred to follow up with a hematologist, so, I have to have him sign one of the forms. His office has had the form for a month, he's refused to sign it multiple times based on issues he's had that I was able to clarify, and at this point I can't even get a call back from the office. I'm afraid I'll never get this form signed. What do I do now? Is there legal recourse? Can I make a report on his medical license? Yes, I totally need the money but I also just really don't want anyone else to go through this. I would love your input! Thanks much.

    Edit: location

    submitted by /u/kicktree500
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor requests that I maintain a rock wall along our property line, but he later discovers that the rocks lie entirely on his property

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    This takes place in upstate New York. There is a loose rock wall made of large boulders that runs along one side of my property. I assumed that the property line ran somewhere through the middle of the wall.

    About 12 years ago, our neighbor on the other side of the wall (angrily) confronted me about maintaining the wall. Because I believed that the wall was partially on my property, and because I wanted to avoid further conflict, I have been pulling weeds and gathering miscellaneous trash between the boulders every year since. The property line is fairly long, so cleaning the rocks is a weekend-long project. My neighbor does not contribute to maintaining the wall.

    Recently, my neighbor had his property surveyed. He discovered that the property line runs along the edge of the rock wall, with the boulders entirely on his property.

    Since my neighbor has indicated to me in the past that he believes that the rocks are my responsibility, and since I have been working to maintain the wall for >10 years, do I have any legal claim to the rocks and/or the property the rocks are on?

    submitted by /u/whoswallisitanyway
    [link] [comments]

    The GA DOL has been paying my wife unemployement for 13 weeks thanks to being furloughed due to COVID. This would be all good, except we never received the payments. They were put onto a prepaid debit card that was mailed to an address we haven't lived at since January. Now, the DOL is ghosting us.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:02 AM PDT

    So this is a long and convoluted story and it's aggravating to no end. There's a lot of relevant background information, so bear with me.

    To start at the beginning, my wife was originally furloughed at the start of March. She had only been with the company for a month or two at that point, but was told by her employer that she would be included in the company's filing for unemployment for its workers. We then received a letter from the Department of Labor a few days later stating she had been filed for unemployment under her old employer, someone she hadn't worked for since September of last year. Considering she was no longer working for them, as well as the fact that that company did not furlough any workers, we figured she was unable to actually get unemployment and that was that.

    Fastforward to three weeks ago. My wife gets a phone call from her new boss (the old one had found a new job amidst the pandemic and quit) saying that she and everyone else in her job position were being laid off as they were simply not able to work while COVID was raging and they were trying to "clean up the payroll." We decided to see this as a blessing in disguise since now, as she was laid off fully, there was no way she didn't fully qualify for unemployment. After 3+ months of her being out of work, we could finally get some money from the DOL.

    She applied for benefits and received an email saying her application was accepted and she would hear back in 24-48 hours. 60 hours later, we had heard nothing, so she tried to call them. Almost every phone number she could find was either disconnected or no one answered. She tried emailing different addresses she could find and got no answer. We tried contacting our state-level legislators to see if they could help us out, but again got answering machines. We finally decided to go as high as we could fathom going and contacted our federal Representative in the House. This was the first time we actually talked to a live human. My wife had received the email saying it would be 2-3 days a week earlier by this point.

    The staffer who answered the phone told us that they had gotten multiple complaints about the GA DOL not answering emails or calls, and said she would pass us along to the person handling COVID unemployment complaints. Within two days, they had us in contact with the DOL and we finally had answers. Her application was accepted and the payments were set up onto a prepaid card. Not ideal, but they said we could set up direct deposit going forward. Cool.

    Jump forward a bit to last week. We have yet to receive the prepaid card, despite it being almost a week since we were told it would be sent out. My wife again tries to get in contact the DOL and again we can't seem to actually contact anyone. Then, Tuesday morning comes around. My wife wakes up to an email from the DOL saying that her benefits from her employer are coming to an end next week. Confused as hell, she does her best to get into contact with someone, but is only able to get information from the email they sent and her online account...

    Apparently, my wife's boss wasn't lying when she said she would make sure she got her name added to the list of employees claimed for COVID unemployment. The DOL had been paying her for 13 weeks, over $900 per week after the $600/week bonus. Why didn't we receive any money then? Because, despite the claim having our correct residential address on it, it had an old mailing address attached. An address we hadn't lived at since January. The card was sent to our old apartment and has had my wife's unemployment checks deposited every single week onto it.

    We've been trying to contact the DOL since yesterday morning. We have no idea if the card was used at all or thrown away. We have no access to the account at all. By the time the last payment is made into that account next week, there will be over $12,000 paid into it over the last 13 weeks. $12,000 that we have no access to, nor do we even know if it's all there, or if it was spent by whoever moved into our old apartment who received the card in the mail. And the DOL still won't answer us. No one has answered a phone. No one has returned a call or an email. They've completely ghosted us. We can't even figure out how to cancel the card and get a new one sent to us so we can at least get access to the money that's still in there. Nothing.

    It feels like the only avenue we have left is to go to the police or go get a lawyer at this point, but we really don't want to have to do that. I'm wondering if anyone else knows of any other avenues there might be that we can utilize to get access to this money that is due to my wife.

    submitted by /u/DarZhubal
    [link] [comments]

    So today I signed paper for a new motorcycle, I didnt realize I signed and paid for a slightly different model. I just noticed and itll be delivered friday please help

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    So I came to an agreement yesterday for a Ninja 400 ABS (Assisted braking) When I came in today to get the bike he asked me "oh what bike was it? Again?" I told him Ninja 400 ABS We go through the contract and I didn't notice till I was thinking about it right now that it never said ABS In the contract. So I look up the vin numbers for the bikes with and without ABS and I went to their site and punched in my vin and yeah... they sold me the bike without ABS. I don't know if they did this sneaky move on purpose or on accident maybe a miscommunication. Now the bike is suppose to be delivered Friday, they open at 10 tomorrow so I'm going to call them right when they open. Is there a chance I'm fucked? A chance that This can't be reversed? I'm losing my mind right now. (They have a no return policy, but idk if that is relevant because I don't have the bike in hand)

    EDIT : California

    submitted by /u/wannabealonerhrowawa
    [link] [comments]

    My stalker sent me a heartfelt email

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    Hello. I have had a stalker, an ex of mine, stalking me for the past year. He was physically and emotionally abusive to me. I have a restraining order. I do not ever want to talk to this person again. However, I am afraid if I show this to a judge they will wave it as nothing sense there is no threatening language in the email. He also has been calling me many times a day. Police have not helped at all before and I have ignored him. I am at a loss. Should I be feeling this way or is there something I can do?

    submitted by /u/hilarydufflebag
    [link] [comments]

    (MA) Landlord claims a "Letter of Intent to Renew" is legally binding for the full year, even though we haven't signed next year's lease.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    Our current lease (September 2019-2020) has a clause in it that requires tenants to give 120 day notice of renewal or non-renewal. In May 2020, we received their letter of intent to renew that detailed the increase in rent and no other changes. At the time, we wanted to renew, so we signed this letter of intent. However, we recently received the new lease for September 2020-2021, and it contains new Landlord provisions that feel predatory and that we do not feel comfortable with.

    We asked the landlords to change the provisions, they declined, so we let them know we will not be signing this new lease and will not be tenants for this upcoming year. They are now coming back and claiming that our letter of intent to renew is legally binding for the next year and we will be responsible for the whole next year of rent until they find new renters.

    Is a letter of intent legally binding even if they change the terms of the agreement FAR after the fact? Our argument is that had we known of these lease changes at the time of renewal, we would have been able to give ample notice of non-renewal.

    What are my options in terms of making sure we're not liable and that they won't keep our security deposit?

    submitted by /u/yobitisthirsty
    [link] [comments]

    My Landlord sent me a letting asking me to move out by September 1st because they want to use my apartment for their office.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    Hello, I was looking for some advice.

    I live in Near Boston Massachusetts

    Today I received a letter from my landlord that says

    "Dear VeeHS,

    We regret to inform you that we have made the difficult decision to relocate our office from my aunt's private home in MA Town to YOUR HOUSE. Unfortunately it is our only office-appropriate unit since it had been an office before, and therefore we have to ask you to move by September 1, 2020

    The COVID-19 situation has caused us to evaluate our current set-up because tenants still came to the house, some as late as 9pm, and ringing the bell to drop off rent. It just was not safe given the health threat and also the fact that Mrs. Landlord had to handle receipts and several cash payments during time that our office was closed.

    We hope that this move will make our operations more efficient, convenient and professional for both our staff and our tenants, as all of the apartments are located in MY TOWN. It will allow us to have people come in for rent payments, applications and lease signings during regular office hours.

    You have been outstanding tenants and we will provide each of you with an excellent landlord reference. At the moment we are fully rented but should anything open up by September 1st, we will let you know and give you first choice before advertising any available apartments.

    We thank you for understanding"

    Some extra info. I've been here for three years. I've never paid by cash and have always mailed a check. I've never missed rent or caused an issue. Last month I spoke with management because I live in a 3 bedroom by myself and asked if i I could have roommates move in. They filled out applications and had credit checks done. They were approved and moved in 20 days ago. Can you really ask someone to leave for no reason 20 days after they moved in?

    It is my understanding that because they want the apartment for personal use they have to give me 60 days. I also believe that because of Covid they can't even ask me to move out until October 17th. I called and spoke with them and told them that I have no plans on moving out by September 1st and that if my landord fears for her health she should find another solution. I know this isn't relevant but my Landlord is worth tens of millions of dollars and is the largest landlord in my area which is very wealthy.

    Moving out in September is not currently possible for me, what do you suggest that I do?

    submitted by /u/VeeHS
    [link] [comments]

    Ticketmaster says ticket refund will be processed “in as soon as 30 days,” it’s been 45+ days. Are they legally allowed to keep me in “refund limbo” for as long they want?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    My concert's been postponed since March and it hasn't been rescheduled yet. Ticketmaster had a 30 day window to request refunds back in June and I immediately took up that offer because I'm not in a good financial state with the pandemic going on. They basically told me that I should see my refund processed "in as soon as 30 days."

    I waited more than 30 days to email them to see if there were any updates and they responded, "our estimation notice was In aS SoON As 30 DaYS, NOt wITHin 30 DaYs—wE aRE SoRRy iF tHeRe wAs ANy CoNfuSiOn."

    "As soon as 30 days" is literally [30, ∞). Knowing their business ethics, they may have as well said "wIThiN 30 yEArS oR MoRe." I understand that there is an ~•unprecedented•~ volume of cancellations, but surely they aren't legally allowed to take all the sweet time in the world? Is there anything I can do, other than wait for an indefinite amount of time?

    Edit: US, I guess

    submitted by /u/0bs3ss1v3
    [link] [comments]

    Not my baby!! Girl keeps harassing my husband.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:29 AM PDT

    So my husband had been involved with other girls in his youth. No surprise there everyone has ex's. But this one girl will not leave him alone. When he was with her 7 years ago she hoped bars and cheated on him causing the breakup. Then she clams she is pregnant with his child. He says he needs proof and wants a paternity test( sorry if something is miss spelled) she refuses claiming she knows so there is no reason. This continues every couple years reaching out saying he needs to be apart of the kids life, he asks for proof, she refuses and he stops talking to her. She did offer to do a test once only if he appeared on a judge show with her, that reveals if he is the father. At which point he refused to be apart of some dramas show just to figure out if it's his kid or not.

    Again today, she finds him on Facebook. Claims he needs to be apart of her life. Which at this point my husband has changed his first name and moved cities. Soo I am not sure how she found him

    It has been 7 years and she still refuses to get the test for proof. At this point it feel like she is stalking him. And without proof he is not going to reach out a be some kids dad.

    Is it possible to get a restraining order or even court order a test to get her to leave us alone? And as far as we know he has never met or seen this child and He has never signed a birth certificate or anything. Even if he turns out the father is he even obligated to be in this kids life?

    Could really use some advice on this one. He is 99% sure he's not the dad and just wants this girl to leave him alone.

    We are in Missouri, United States

    submitted by /u/PrismaSprinkle13
    [link] [comments]

    Can you get in trouble by copying a story and not selling

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    I am writting the story of red dead redemption 2 in a book for my mother to read it. Can I get in trouble for posting about the book but not selling it and if some body steals it and sells it will I get in trouble?

    Edit: El Salvador is my location

    submitted by /u/Delta049
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor negligently discharged firearm into my home. (Maryland)

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    So Monday night we hear loud noises coming from the townhouse next door followed by a very loud bang that was clearly a gunshot. After making sure everyone was ok, I checked our master bathroom and found bullet hole in the bottom of my bathtub and the bullet itself sitting in the tub. The projectile pierced the bottom of the tub and hit the tile on the backside of the bathroom and cane to rest in the tub itself.

    We end of calling the police and going out front to see that all the lights in the house next door we're off. We don't really talk to the neighbors as they keep to themselves but I know three adults and a minor live there. Police arrive and end of taking the three adults to separate cars for questioning. My wife see them searching the backyards with flashlights and they come into our house to check out the damage and recover the bullet for evidence. Low and behold the gun somehow disappeared and they took two of the adults away in police cars. Crime scene investigators were in my house until 4am measuring the trajectory of the bullet and questioning my wife and I. I was provided a police incident report and then tried to get my family settled so we can try to get some sleep.

    Today i called my insurance company and explained the situation and was amazed to find out I'm covered if I shoot into someone else's house but not if someone shoots into mine. Also if I filed a claim I would need to pay my deductible and would need to sue them in civil court to get that back... I was at a loss for words after that conversations

    All in all it sounds like I need to find who insures my neighbor( I confirmed they are the homeowner) and file a claim with them for the damage to my house.

    Lastly my wife and kids are staying with our family as my wife is afraid to come home. The way the round entered the bathroom would have hit anyone that would have been bathing at the time.

    So besides going after their insurance to repair the damage to my home do I need a lawyer to go after them as well? I already have a contractor coming to give me an estimate and I've left a note with the neighbor asking for their ins info( not very hopeful to collect). Lastly I did follow up with the responding officer with some questions and to ask if they got their ins info. They did not buy he mentioned that the criminal investigative division has taken over the case as someone in the house had a history that prohibited them from having access to firearms.

    Never did I ever think the place we made our home would make my family so uncomfortable. My wife is already talking about putting our house on the market once we make the repairs... this can't be the way this goes .

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Meowimpersian
    [link] [comments]

    Wife got into a car accident 9 months ago and debt collectors started to call.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    I'll try to include as much info as I can. We need some help with this. We are located in California (if anyone can help with local laws and such.)

    Wife got into an accident in October of 2019. Police report was filed and info exchanged through the report. Wife called her insurance to place a claim that she was in an accident, but the insurance told her she wasn't covered due to late payment. The payment was made the morning of the accident (accident was at night on the weekend) and the payment wasn't processed until Monday.

    Wife later got into contact with the other party involved in the accident and asked if they could settle outside of insurance because my wife's insurance was no help to her. The other party stated that the car was already being repaired by her insurance and that the insurance would contact my wife. We waited for contact from the other party's insurance to reach out but nothing happened. We assumed that they took the accident as a loss or something along those lines and didn't pursue it further.

    Today (9 months later) my wife gets a call from a local number saying that they are a debt collection agency and that she owes over $6,000 from the accident. We asked why were were not contacted sooner and they said that they did mail us but no such letters have reached us. It all seemed fishy so I asked them if they were hired by the other party's insurance to collect the debt and they said that the insurance company is their client. I was hesitant so I called the insurance company to make sure and got a hold of one of the representatives and they did state that this debt collection company is representing them in this case. I asked why we were not contacted by them earlier to settle and the rep could not really give me an answer other than the fact that if I was to settle or pay anything it would be to the agency and not them the insurance company.

    Not really sure what to do or where to go from here. Should I help my wife contact her insurance that should've been covering her? I know there should be some sort of law in place for a grace period to prevent lapse of insurance coverage. Should we try and pay the debt? It's a lot of money for us right now as we are both in our early 20s and don't have a lot of $$ due to COVID. If she doesn't pay, they threatened drivers license suspension. I don't really know if they can do that or if they are just trying to bully her into paying. What happens if she doesn't pay? Can she be sued? I know her credit will be very bad after but she already didn't have amazing credit to begin with.

    Any advice at all would be so helpful. Thank you for reading this wall of text.

    submitted by /u/basurathrowawaytrash
    [link] [comments]

    What legal rights do I have to the dog? What can I do?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    Hello. I recently adopted a dog from a rescue in which within me not having the dog for even 24hrs the rescue reached out to me to let me know that a dog in the litter had a virus. They asked us to bring the puppy to the rescue so they can test her and she came back positive for parvo. The rescue then refunded us the money because they said they didn't feel comfortable taking our money when they sold us a sick dog. They told us we wouldn't have to pay for the dog back and they would treat it at no cost to us. It's been two weeks and the dog has been cleared from the vet but now apparently has kennel cough. The rescue claims that we don't own the dog and have no legal rights to know any medical information. We still have our contract. I am located in CT.

    submitted by /u/BlazeA333
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor Disagreement

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:46 PM PDT

    I own a condo that has 4 units per building. We had a new neighbor move in about 6 months ago. We found him about 3 months ago trying to get on our property. He then explained that our AC unit is making rattling noises inside his house. Mind you, we've been living here for 4 years and never had a complaint from the previous owners. He then asked if he could come on our property, which is our courtyard, to inspect the AC unit. In an effort to be courteous we obliged. He checked out the unit, came into our garage, but we would not let him inside our condo.

    A couple of weeks later we got a certified letter from him asking if we would agree to have him hire an HVAC tech to come out and inspect the unit. Again, we obliged. The HVAC tech came out and said there is nothing wrong and the unit is not excessively loud neither is the sound in our neighbors unit. The neighbor disagreed with the tech and said it's the freon pipes. The tech said there is no way of knowing that as the noise is not excessive.

    A couple of weeks later we receive an email from him saying that he's getting the HOA involved. Yesterday the HOA rep came to have a look. He also found the noise not be excessive and didn't hear any kind of rattling noise that our neighbor was talking about. Our neighbor wants to tear into our walls to try to find the freon pipes to fix the problem. The HOA rep told him that's not a good idea and that he could cause other potential problems that might lead to displacing us from our home while things get repaired. We spoke to the HOA rep after and he said the HOA is taking a "hands off" approach and wants the neighbor and I to come to some sort of agreement. I don't know what kind of agreement to come to, as there is no problem with our unit. We are going to have another HVAC tech come out to get a second opinion. I have also made an appointment with my lawyer. I didn't want it to come this but this man has been harassing us for months. I would appreciate any advice.

    Tldr: our neighbor wants to tear into our walls to find freon pipes he doesn't know where they are located and try to fix a problem that is not actually a problem.

    Edit: location Nevada

    Edit#2: we just received an email from him giving us an ultimatum. We either agree to let him do what he wants with our home or he's lawyering up.

    submitted by /u/evil_natured_robot
    [link] [comments]

    Is my wife getting ripped off?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 04:56 AM PDT

    My wife has worked in a full time position for the same engineering company for 10 years. In the last year we welcomed our second child into the world and she took 6 months maternity leave. She returned to work yesterday to begin her temporary hours, 6 months of work in a part time capacity( 3 days a week). She was informed on her first day that half of her responsibilities have been given to other employees and that after the next 6 months her part time hours will become her new permanent position. She has a signed agreement from them that she would return to her full time position after the 6 months. Is she entitled to a redundancy package from her full time position? Her part time offer is basically a new job she will hate. I am so disappointed in this famous Australian engineering company she has been loyal to for 10 years.

    We live in Victoria, Australia.

    submitted by /u/genuinesharky
    [link] [comments]

    I am on vacation in Greece and a group of teenagers have been stalking me and taking my photos on the beach.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    Hello. I am a 42 year-old Belgian woman and normally live in Brussels. As my husband had to work,i came to Greece with my sons about 10 days week ago. We have been staying in a nice,luxurious holiday resort. I will directly go on with the incidents i have been experiencing as i am kind of worried here. Exactly 5 days ago,i was on the beach with my 12 and 13 year old sons. I was lying on the beach,reading my book as my sons were swimming somewhere i could see them and a group of teenagers(i think they are something between 17-20 maximum) came to the beach and perched themselves a few meters next to me. They spoke Greek among each other but i am not sure if they are all originally Greek because some of them were quite dark for someone from Greece. Because they I don't think they are I was a little bit disturbed because there few not many people on the beach then so they had a lot of space to sunbath and they still chose somewhere near me. Anyway, i didn't care and contiuned to read my book. 20 mins later,one of them approached me to ask for a lighter. I said i don't smoke and he started chatting with me. I was kind enough to answer his questions nicely and he offered my some beer. I turned down his offer and he left.

    Next day, i went to the same beach with my sons again. As i was sunbathing topless(it was totally legal there) i heard the same group of guys. About half an hour later,i noticed they were all staring at me and one of them was holding his phone towards me. I am sure he was recording me,i swear. I could tell it from their face expressions as i caught them. In panic,i went to them and asked what the fuck they were doing. They kind of got anxious and did not let me see the phone. I told them i don't want to see them again and i don't think it would prevent them from hounding me.

    Two days ago,i saw them on another beach and they were staring at me. At that point,i started thinking it might be something serious,or they might be up to something.

    I saved the most important thing for last. Yesterday, i found out we were staying in the same resort with them as i saw them at the reception. I am kind of worried here and i'm thinking about calling the police. What would be the best move to make here? Contact the resort first maybe?

    submitted by /u/Brilliant-Rooster400
    [link] [comments]

    Brother will not leave deceased father’s house now that it is ready to sell. Need advice.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    -New York State -Albany County -Petition for probate has been filed and letters testamentary received.

    I did the filing myself without an attorney. Everything was going well until my brother refused to leave so we can sell the house. He has lived there with my father for years, but never paid rent and has no lease. He does not work. He verbally agreed to leave by August 1st. Now he says that he's not leaving and says he legally has 6 months from the day we received letters testamentary before we can tell him to leave. Is this true? Does he have rights as a resident? The house is part of the estate and the will gives equal share to all siblings to do as we wish. The deed is solely in my fathers name. He has known all along that the plan is to sell the house. I know we will have to hire an attorney to evict him, but I'm looking for clarification as to whether he has any rights to stay there for 6 months? I appreciate any advice given!

    submitted by /u/Pruner1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment