• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 23, 2020

    Legal Advice - Can a landlord take the door off your hinges while you aren't home?

    Legal Advice - Can a landlord take the door off your hinges while you aren't home?


    Can a landlord take the door off your hinges while you aren't home?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    (Mississippi) So my apartment complex decided to replace our front door. While we weren't home. Just pulled up and my door is completely gone and two maintenance guys are hanging out outside my apartment. I am still missing one of my cats.

    Apartment owner told me he could do whatever he wanted with his building, that he didnt need our permission or our presence to essentially make entry to our home, and that I could "get the fuck out" if I had a problem with it. Got in my face, screaming. Threatened to serve us a 30 day notice, called me a coward, told me I had personal problems, hopped in his car, and sped off. No apology, no empathy, nothing but a threat and insults.

    I was under the impression that I had tenants rights regarding access to the apartment that I am renting. Our lease says they can make entry "with proper notice", which of course we never received. A lot of people are telling me to lawyer up and I am angry enough to do that, but I dont know if there is actually a case here.

    UPDATE: cat has been found safely

    submitted by /u/ApexHolly
    [link] [comments]

    Guy on the next street landed his drone in my yard, my dog ruined it. He wants me to file a claim with my homeowner's insurance.

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    Hi all, Iowa state question for you:

    Last week someone who lives a street over from me was testing out his new drone. He says that while flying above my house he believed that the system securing his camera might have come loose. He didn't want to fly it back to him in case the camera fell in flight, so he immediately landed it in place. That place happened to be my back yard, where my dog was outside in the yard (my husband was outside with her, but was underneath his project car doing work on it and did not notice the drone landing). From the video he showed, it appears she picked it up and carried it to the top of her dog house (she likes to lay on top) but since the dog house is slightly sloped, it just fell right off, falling several feet onto the concrete. She got down, carried it up again, it fell off again. She is not very smart and it took her 5 times before she gave up and left it on the ground. She was not chewing on it or anything during this time - she was just plain picking it up and then setting it down on a sloped surface. Again, not smart. But not dangerous.

    By this time the drone's owner had walked over and was extremely upset. He called our dog "vicious" which she is not. He apparently calmed down and asked my husband if he would pay his insurance deductible to repair or replace it. My husband said no, it's not like our dog went to this guy's house and stole his drone and ruined it, he literally landed it on the ground 10 feet from her. The guy left upset.

    He came back last night and said that he attempted to file with his business insurance, but they won't cover it, and instead asked if we would file a claim on our homeowner's insurance. My husband said no (we are actually 100% sure but he did not want to commit to anything on a whim). He then went out to his car, but came back a few minutes later and asked if we would file with our insurance if he pays the deductible. My husband again said no.

    This morning he left a letter in our mailbox stating that he will give us until 7PM on Sunday to reach out to come to an agreement to deal with the damages, or on Monday morning he will file a police report and make a claim in small claims court.

    We are particularly concerned about filing with our homeowner's insurance because "dog damaged property" has a pretty nasty ring to it. Thanks to the fact that the drone was literally carrying a camera we know our dog wasn't chewing on it or anything, but I don't want a record on our homeowner's insurance that implies we have a dangerous dog - hell maybe by insurance standards she IS dangerous for this, but I'm very leery of it.

    Obviously I understand that if our dog bites someone on our property that is a problem and we are liable - but is there anything legal that dictates fault if someone lands a drone on our property? Not surprisingly Google is failing me here. We are debating whether to try and come to an agreement with him or if we should tell him to kick rocks. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/centsybil
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord's Worker Dropped a Fridge on my Car and Refuses to Pay the Damages

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    I work an IT job for the school I go to that allows me to work from home right now. On June 24th, I was working from my living room when I saw two of my landlords workers carrying a fridge up the stairs. About 5 minutes later, they were coming back down the stairs with a different fridge. As they got to the landing of the stairs, the head worker handed the fridge off to his coworker for him to go put elsewhere.

    My car was parked in the first parking spot closing to my apartment, it was directly in front of my living room and therefore in my line of sight. This parking spot also was the closest spot to the stairway, where this lone worker was dollying a fridge through.

    The worker had attempted to take the fridge off the curb right next to my car, which resulted in it toppling over and leaving a nasty scrape next to my car.

    The next day I sent a picture to my landlord explaining what had happened. They replied, "Get me 3 estimates for your car and get them to me. I am so sorry about that!" So I broke quarantine and went and got the three estimates. After sending them to her it seems that she has no interest in paying the price of even the lowest estimate, which is around $835. She has pressured me into, 'taking it to a shop of her choice" or to pay the amount of $300. I have declined both of these offers numerous times but she continues to come back to me repeating her offer.

    Since I am a broke college student I am worried about getting a lawyer due to legal fees, which I am sure she knows and is playing off of.

    What should I do?

    EDIT: Located in Asheville, NC.

    submitted by /u/couldcareless12
    [link] [comments]

    [Update] California - Woman in my garage has 5 people living with her.

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    Original Post

    If you commented on the OP, thank you. I read every comment, as well as talked to a lawyer, and a damn real estate agent to cover all my bases and see what I could do. Which I learned was pretty much nothing, except talk to her and wish for the best since there's a moratorium on these types of cases due to the pandemic. The eviction process would most likely take much longer than her lease.

    Since I posted, the majority of the "guests" have moved out. So it's mainly her husband, which I am still unsure if it really is her husband, living there without my permission. So that's the good news.

    I emailed her yesterday, tried to be as nice as possible while also asserting myself, letting her know that our security cameras caught her "guest" staying on her property much longer than the 48-hour limit on which a "guest" becomes a tenant per her lease. I sent her copy/pastes of the specific clauses she has been violating, gave an overall rundown of my concerns, reminded her that I have been very patient and understanding as a neighbor, but as a landlord I am no longer willing to put up with the shenanigans.

    I sent her one final 3-day notice to perform or quit, and ended the letter asking her nicely to abide by the lease this time and hopefully we can go back to being amicable neighbors. However, if this behavior persisted, she would be sent a 30 day notice to vacate, reminding her any breach of contract following a warning will make her lease null in void, per the contract, once again quoting directly from our signed agreement.

    She emailed me back very upset, telling me she in no way violated her lease. Her guest was only that, a guest. And that my camera footage was "faulty", "flawed", and "erroneously stipulated". She also let me know she spoke to her attorney and knows she has not violated anything in our lease.

    There was a lot more in that email, letting me know that having camera footage as proof has her feeling more like harassment, and she now has anxiety that she's doing more wrong than good since most of my emails to her have been negative — ie: me telling her don't let your dog pee on my driveway, please don't smoke near the house, and please don't leave the butts in a pile on my lawn.

    Honesty I wish I could quote the entire email because she is just, crazy.

    So yikes, I don't know how to respond to her email, so I won't. I've decided to let this woman "win" and focus on getting an additional meter installed so I don't have to deal with added expenditures for my next tenant, if I decided to open this can of worms after she leaves or as one user suggested, just buy a bunch of marijuana plants and grow those in the garage instead.

    submitted by /u/melted-milk
    [link] [comments]

    My apartments lease says that I am not allowed to leave a bad review. My lease is now over and I had a bad experience, is this legally enforceable?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    I signed a lease at my house and in it it said that I am not allowed to leave a bad review. After leaving with a bad experience, could that rule be legally enforced?

    submitted by /u/aggaggang
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord wants to cancel our rent lease before we even moved in

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 09:55 AM PDT

    UPDATE: We live in Ontario, Canada and signed an official Ontario Residential Tenancy Agreement.

    We were about to move into our new home this August. Now, 2 weeks before we would move in, our (almost) landlord contacted us and said he has to terminate the lease agreement because he needs the house now for himself.

    Since we signed the lease contract beginning of July, is this contract already legally binding since we didn't move in yet? Can the landlord just do that? And more important what are our options?I mean we had a lot of expenses already because of it. (Insurance, gas, internet, etc.)

    submitted by /u/bearpeta
    [link] [comments]

    Wedding venue wants to keep $10,000 in deposits for cancelling due to COVID...

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 04:14 PM PDT

    Hi! My fiancé and I were supposed to be getting married at a wedding venue in Massachusetts. We had been making payments $17k so far) for quite some time.

    Massachusetts by order will not enter into phase 4 of lockdowns until a vaccine is up. So currently, weddings in Mass. can't have dancing, open bar, shared food items including food stations, and only 25 people.

    Our wedding contract is for 110 - 125 people, with catering that includes multiple food stations, food sharing, dance floor for dancing, and a bunch of other things the venue can no longer do due to the government restrictions.

    So basically we can only have 25 people and not much of what we agreed to have. Also, and here's the kicker, we now live in Florida and the governor has a non-enforced order for travelers to quarantine for 2 weeks...

    The contract has a force majeure clause but the venue says it's not something we can exercise because they can still technically give us a wedding But will need to modify what we agreed to.

    Our argument is that given they can not fulfill well over 75% of the contract due to the pandemic (which the contract actually speaks to an epidemic/pandemic directly causing force majeure) that it should be void and our payments returned. We even said given the hit to their industry we may be open to negotiate (I wanted to offer 1 maybe $2,000 but haven't yet)

    They basically said the contract is still enforced, they could technically charge us a penalty for cancelling meaning we'd owe them ANOTHER $8k on top of the $17k we've paid, but out of courtesy they'll give us $7k back and we'd just be out $10k

    Taking emotions out of it, this just seems wrong contractually and ethically.

    But I am not a legal expert and am currently shopping around attorneys in case they won't negotiate. So what do you think?

    submitted by /u/economist_corgz
    [link] [comments]

    [Massachusetts] HOA is charging us 650$ for dog poop that doesn’t belong to our dog

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 05:57 AM PDT

    Hi, all! I wanted to pulse this subreddit with the following:

    Our HOA is charging us 650$ for dog poop that they are claiming we didn't pick up. They have taken photos of the dog poop and are saying it's ours without any proof that it came out of my dogs bottom. They are partnering with collections and telling the lawyer that they personally know every dog owner in this neighborhood and the ones who pick up the poop and the ones who don't. They are attempting to put a lien on our condo. What would you do in this situation?

    submitted by /u/gamingforumapez
    [link] [comments]

    Should my dad’s house be put in my name, or gifted to me in the will?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    New York - My mother passed away in January, and she handled nearly all of my parents' finances. I've taken the lead in figuring out their financial situation, and my sister has been helpful when necessary. (Dad, 73, is a lifelong severe alcoholic, has a permanent tracheotomy so he is unable to speak, never learned how to use a computer so he is unable to do anything with internet, and in general seems to have some learned helplessness I guess you could say). Sister hates dad, will respond to an occasional text message from him but really is not interested in maintaining any sort of relationship. Due to dad's inability to speak on the phone or use internet, I drafted a Power of Attorney document online and had it notarized, so I now have POA for my father and can speak with the bank and other companies on his behalf.

    This situation is brand new to us both, and we're trying to figure out the smartest way to go about handling my parents' house. House is on Long Island, NY, and still has a $60k home equity loan, and my dad's only source of income is social security. We've gotten some minimal life insurance policies from my mom, but my sister and I are terrified he's going to blow through that money if he lives for longer than 5 years, due to maintaining his drinking habit. Still, keeping him in the house seems to be the cheapest option, as we could not afford putting him in assisted living or anything.

    My sister mentioned to me the other day that she thinks we need to start working on having our names added to the house, in the event that he passes. I'm not sure that would be the smartest thing to do here, and I'm not sure what makes this move better than ensuring that it's indicated in his will that the house goes to us. My husband and I hope to buy our first home in the next two years, and I know my sister and her family will likely buy a new house in the next year or two. I'm worried that adding our name will attach the home equity loan to us in a negative way. My husband thinks adding our names to the house will negatively impact our credit, or impact our taxes, or cause issues for us in general.

    Any suggestions on the best next step here? Is there a benefit to having our names on the house, versus just having it outlined in his will that the house would be left to us?

    Additionally, any suggestions in general on how to be smart in dealing with estate matters would be so, SO appreciated. This has been such an unbelievably exhausting process as I knew nothing about any of this before she passed, and it feels like I'm stumbling my way through it all. Thank you for any insight!

    submitted by /u/strikespark
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord is selling the fourplex we live at

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    This is in Oregon. My landlord has announced that she is selling the place we live in, two days after Oregon extended the moratorium on evictions. We have been here five years, always pay rent on time and have had no major issues. Both her and the real estate agent are telling us that having the places already filled is considered an asset and that we would most likely be able to stay.

    I'm worried about being asked to leave and also concerned about the new owner raising our rent. What legal protections do I have if either of these issues arise.

    submitted by /u/Catladyweirdo
    [link] [comments]

    [Colorado] Tentatively hired, awaiting background check to clear. Need a disposition from the courts from a nonexistent case?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    I was tentatively hired, did a fingerprint background check. I have a clean record. Never been arrested in my life.

    It came back with an 'alias' that I've never heard of before, from 1983. I would have been 18/19. HR told me that I needed a disposition from the courts with the outcome of the cases/charges.

    Here's the thing, there aren't any cases. This person isn't me to begin with, but I contacted the courts and asked for any records or information for this name as well as my own. I gave them my DOB and SSN.

    I got a certified letter from them stating that there are no records of any cases/charges.

    I thought I was in the clear, and emailed this letter off. Asking if they'd be able to move forward.

    Someone from HR called me and said I was fine, and good to go with the letter from court, but that they had to talk to their director because this was a little confusing for them.

    I got an email today, from the director, stating that they are unable to move forward with my employment.

    That "We will need dispositions for the charges in the 1980s in order to make an accurate decision on employment. Once you receive closure on these, please feel free to resubmit. If I am able to clear the background, with the updated information you provide, you would be eligible to apply for positions at that time."

    What do I do now? How do I get dispositions from charges that don't exist with the courts?

    Do I contact the CBI and plead my case with them to erase these things from my background check? Is that possible with this letter from the court? I have an email copy, and waiting for the certified hard copy in the mail.

    I've had jobs in the past, and this has never come up. Never. I'm at a loss. I was looking forward to starting this job, and to be honest I'm devastated and just feel defeated.

    submitted by /u/LittleBlue202786-
    [link] [comments]

    New adult forced to pay hospital bill from childhood

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    18 y/o in VA, who just received a hospital bill for $575.00 dollars from when I was 14. It says it is past 90 days due but I haven't been an adult for that long. Is this my responsibility to pay or my parents? How would I go about getting This debt off me, as it would cripple me since I was just forced to live on my own.

    submitted by /u/grumplover25
    [link] [comments]

    Employer skipped paycheck hours "wernt worth putting on a paycheck"

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 02:53 AM PDT

    Location ontario canada So with the pandemic work has been spotty and less consistent obviously, and we've been managing to scrap by. Anyone living pay to pay can attest that even 20$ is somthing. Last week I worked 3h, today was payday. Waking up to check the bank the kids need milk right, no pay.... great after mssging back and forth hes now telling me its not worth putting them on the pay and he'll stack them for next pay. I would have atleast like a warning I wasn't getting paid, is this legal?

    submitted by /u/bamberbean
    [link] [comments]

    Co-op: Landlord/Owner I (used to) rent from is dead or missing; 14 day notice from creditor just appeared

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 01:22 PM PDT

    NYC. I've been unable to contact my landlord, the owner of my unit in a co-op, since April. I moved out in June but essentially kept my keys because I had no one to turn them in to (and no reason to let go?).

    I went back to the apartment yesterday to pick up a few packages that had arrived after I moved out. On the door to my (old) apartment was a 14 day notice, issued on July 10, that my landlord is $5,700 indebted to the Proprietary Lessor of the premises (for maintenance, tax assessments and a sublet fee). The attorney for the Proprietary Lessor is named in the letter with contact information.

    My r/legaladvice question is: is there any benefit for me getting involved, whether that's calling the attorney to explain my POV (that I think the owner is dead) for their understanding or to perhaps getting to place an offer on the unit at below market price?

    submitted by /u/karmalized_onions
    [link] [comments]

    [USA] Employer is trying to restrict wage discussions.

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 09:04 AM PDT

    I work an hourly job and just learned that the new employee is making the same amount I am. It is his first job ever and he is in highschool. I have been there for 4 years and have been there most reliable employee. When I brought it up to my boss he gave me a slight raise so I wouldn't just walk out and then I received a text saying that we were no longer allowed to discuss how much we make. I know it is against the National Labor Relations Acts, but what can I do as a response to this?

    submitted by /u/alias_fake_name
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] New housing development ruins our drinking water

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 06:13 AM PDT

    I live in a small semi-rural community in upstate NY. One side of the street gets water from a natural spring that is both clean and fresh, the other side (my side) has to tap into an aquifer at the top of the hill via wells. The water on our side has had issues in the past with sediment and sulfur in the water which our family has dealt with by using a rather large filtration system. A developer has been looking to place multiple houses on our side of the street. Recently a test well was dug for the development and the day that the well was dug our water suddenly became cloudy and foul. We immediately took samples of our water both straight from our well and from our filtered taps, and contacted the health department. The water samples stayed cloudy for weeks and we took more samples as the taps started to clear a bit (but the water is still foul). We sent the samples out to a water filtration company and they told us that there were cement particles, plastic, and chemicals found in the water. We were told by the company that the test well had been hydraulically fracked (aka hydrofracking). They also told us that the solution was to buy an additional filtration system on top of the one we already had. We had sent samples of water to this same company a year ago when we got the original system and those samples were clean and fresh. Is there any recourse that we can take?

    submitted by /u/Grextra
    [link] [comments]

    I made a CPS report about my sister and now my parents say I can’t have any contact with her

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    Kinda long sorry. I'm 24(f), sister is 11. My parents have a decade long past of abuse of alcohol and drugs, as recent as 3 months ago I can confirm because I was there. I don't live with them anymore so any current things I don't know. I live in Florida.

    They've been mentally/emotionally (NEVER anything physical) abusive to me, my brother (18 recently moved the fuck out and far away) and my sister our whole lives. Drunken out bursts, screaming fights,a recent overdose on heroin (step-dad specifically). Mother has a domestic battery record and CPS has investigated them twice in the past 2 years.

    3 months ago my sister texted me she had called a suicide crisis line and they talked her down. She said her home life has been awful, which I've experienced so I know. Her and my parents are supposed to be starting therapy soon ish around that time so I told her that. Informed my parents she was really low and needed help now. I did not tell them about the call, which I know I should have but I didn't.

    Cut to now months later, sister has not once gotten any therapy/counseling/nothing and I've heard every excuse as to why. The parents allegedly do go to therapy online but my sister can't start. And I quote from my mother, "the therapist doesn't think she needs counseling". Which doesn't make sense to me if she's never spoken to my sister once.

    Again cut to yesterday where my sister is pleading about living with extended family, running away or whatever. She's at her wits end and her mental health is so low. She's scared of our step-dad and terrified our mother will relapse into alcohol again. I tell her to write her thoughts out and send it to them. And I make a CPS report. I tell them about the past abuse of alcohol/drugs, my sisters suicide call from two months ago, how she's just not doing well and I can't get them to help her but how there is NO physical abuse. That's it. Investigator calls me for more clarification and it's just more specific details but essentially the same thing.

    So anyway CPS went over and talked to them, today, I assume did not find any alcohol or drugs, mother showed how she is just now trying to set up therapy for my sister?, and they leave? I'm getting this all secondhand from my grandmother who talked to my mother. I then get a call from my mother saying I am a toxic pos, a liar, and that I'm to have no contact with my sister ever again. I don't know if they took her phone away or what but I legit can't see if she's okay or not until the unforeseeable future? Can I still see her? I don't live there anymore but my ID has that address. Could I just show up and talk to her. I won't take her obviously but just checking on her? Mother said to take legal actions if I want to speak to my sister but is that even a real threat? I just wanted to get my sister help and something is finally happening but now we're both being punished?

    submitted by /u/AiekoOkiea
    [link] [comments]

    Awarded 20k recruitment scholarship to graduate school turns into 5.7k

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    Note: Throwaway

    Hi guys. This is a throwaway account. I applied to multiple scholarships through my state university. I was awarded (an essay) need-based scholarship covering most of my tuition in March. I then applied to a separate scholarship form on their website that asks activities/interests/parent's income etc. I completed it around March, too. At the end of April, I had to make a final decision between 4 schools. I received an email from my state school congratulating me an a merit scholarship worth 20k. Seeing as I had won the essay scholarship and it, too, was about half my tuition or 19k. I asked for a clarification that the recruitment scholarship wasn't a need based one. I was then told it was in fact not and it was awarded through the Admission's office. I was ecstatic and went ahead to finalize my decision with my State school.

    Fast forward to July. I get my financial award summary and I'm missing the 20k, instead I find 5.7k. Confused, I assumed the amount was from the separate scholarship I had applied to. I emailed the person who sent me the original letter for the recruitment award. They mentioned they would look into it and that there's been more errors than usual this year. I get an email back saying the error was found. The letter wasn't supposed to say 20k but actually 5.7k.

    Seeing as I was the one who ultimately discovered the issue, are there any legal ramifications? I can't accept any of my previous school offers. I initially emailed my financial aid office about the missing 20k. They called me back the next day and mentioned they hadn't heard back from the Admissions office about my inquiry. Once I told them what happened, they sounded surprised and understood why the admins office hadn't gotten back to them (cuz they f-ed up bigly)

    Edit: State school in Midwest

    submitted by /u/HankTBiscuit
    [link] [comments]

    My job will be forcing employees to work an extra hour each day with no compensation.

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 07:34 AM PDT

    I work for a financial company in New Jersey. My manager just informed us that the banks are switching to a 40 hour work week. As a result all emoyees will be working an extra hour each day. We were also informed that we will not be paid for this extra hour.

    I already have to travel and hour to and from work, and with this change I will not ger home until after 7:00. On top of that, my department is one of the few that requires people to work on site instead of at home. Thus, giving me another hour to worry about being exposed to Coronavirus.

    Is there anything I can do about this?

    submitted by /u/yeti0013
    [link] [comments]

    Is having someone else mail my ballot voter fraud?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 02:10 PM PDT

    MN

    So I'm voting in my state's primary thanks to an absentee ballot. Thanks to the state of international mailing services right now I'm not certain if mailing my ballot from where I am (New Zealand) will get to Minnesota in time for the ballot to be counted. If I were to fill out my ballot and ask a friend to print it out and mail it to the voter office, is that voter fraud?

    edit: Friend is in Minnesota, but not the same postcode as my ballot is registered in

    edit 2: Turns out I can mail my ballot by dropping it off at the US Embassy or Consulate general here in NZ, problem solved!

    submitted by /u/catcatcaat
    [link] [comments]

    Police station "lost" my DUI file

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 02:46 PM PDT

    Back in March (pre-lockdown) I went to a bar to celebrate quitting my job in Michigan. I ended up deciding to sleep in my car thinking that it would be fine. I fell asleep in the driver's seat, keys were in the back seat. A few hours later police knock on my window, perform a road side test, then asked me to blow. I agreed and blew a 0.09; .0.08 is the limit. So they arrest me and take me to the station where I blow a 0.09 again. I had a lovely conversation about nonprofits and swimming with the officers then they threw me in a cell with a bunch of other guys. 24 hours later they transferred me to the cell where the people next up for arraignment were and within minutes they pulled me out, told me they "lost" my file, and that I could go home. No arraignment, no bail, no court. I asked them what were the next steps they said that I might get something in the mail or I might not. It's almost been 5 months and I have yet to receive anything in the mail. But I had a background check performed for my new job and it says the the DUI (OWI in Michigan) is still pending. Would you all be so kind as to provide me with a little advice on how one should/could/would proceed in this situation?

    submitted by /u/snackthatsmilesback2
    [link] [comments]

    I (17) got t-boned, was issued a citation. Officer at the scene said I can dispute it at court and keep it off my permanent record. What should I say in court?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    This is my first ever legal incident. I was stopped at a yield sign on a three way road. After waiting awhile, around thirty seconds, I turned left after a car passed while turning right. On the corner of the street, there is a large sign that somewhat blocks the view of the road, and the car that turned right was also quite big. Someone who was going very fast (likely speeding) ran into me while I was halfway through the turn. I did not see them at all before turning. All the airbags on the drivers side of the car deployed, none at the front. I was pushed into a persons fence on the side of the road, and could not immediately deploy my breaks, so the persons fence was broken. Poor lady, this was the third time this year a car crash had wrecked her fence! Since I had a yield sign, I was issued a citation.

    I do not believe it was my fault in this incident. I'm a very careful driver, and I was sure the turn I was taking was safe. I really don't want this permanently messing up my record, or my insurance. I'm a new driver as well. What do I do?

    I'm in Montana!

    submitted by /u/caosgo
    [link] [comments]

    I came across a search engine issue and I wanted to know about the legality of it.

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    A local music school (school A) has been advertising online. Now, I'm aware how normal search engines works. let's say you search for a school by another name (school b), then school A pops up, this is typical.

    But what about this situation, when you search for school B a link with school B's name pops up but the website it takes you to is school A. Is this some form of false advertising or is it just a dirty ole trick?

    submitted by /u/wezef123
    [link] [comments]

    Oklahoma: HIPPA violation or not? Nurse faxed medical records to my stalker

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 09:07 PM PDT

    Hello there, I have had a stalker for about 10 years now. I started seeing a new doctor and my first appointment I reserved two time slots so I could explain the situation to the doctor and her PA (physicians assistant, for those who may be out of the country). Because of this, one of the things I talked to them about was that I wanted not a single person to receive my medical records unless it was me and I was there for them IN PERSON with my ID. The doctor reassured me that I had nothing to worry about, because HIPPA didn't allow them to release records unless it was for another physician or if I was there in person to verify, that it was indeed me.

    Not even a month later I was informed that the PA had faxed my medical records to the business office of my stalker. When I called to ask what happened. The PA was immediately defensive and extraordinarily rude, telling me, and I quote "you are not going to get me in trouble for this" over and over. I am a bit of a push over, and really just wanted to know what happened and what all was sent and why they didn't verify the identity of the person calling. They were obviously not calling from my number on file so I have no clue why they would allow this to happen.

    All this time I have wondered if she was right and if she was in her rights to do this or if what she did was illegal. I've changed doctors a few times since and haven't had this happen to me but that very one time, even though my stalker is still active.

    Can anyone give me any legal insight on if this was a HIPPA violation or not?

    submitted by /u/she_isking
    [link] [comments]

    Can I still use my birth name if my parents changed it when I was under 18?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 06:41 PM PDT

    So my parents legally changed my name when they got their citizenship I attended my naturalization ceremony thing. I was under 18 at that time. The new name is only used so far on my passport and certificate of citizenship. Even when I opened my bank accounts and attended college, I still used my old birth name. I am now over 18, I was wondering if I can still use my old birth name for my driver license, ID, and more legal documents or would I need to change my current name to the new name? If I want to keep using my old name and disregard the "changed" name, what legal steps must I take? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Simplicify
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment