• Breaking News

    Friday, July 24, 2020

    Legal Advice - I (16F) ran away from a cult several months ago. Please tell me what I can do to convince the police to erase my parent's power over me and allow me to go back to school. (CA)

    Legal Advice - I (16F) ran away from a cult several months ago. Please tell me what I can do to convince the police to erase my parent's power over me and allow me to go back to school. (CA)


    I (16F) ran away from a cult several months ago. Please tell me what I can do to convince the police to erase my parent's power over me and allow me to go back to school. (CA)

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 04:15 AM PDT

    I don't have relatives or anyone related outside of the cult, not an aunt, uncle, non custodial parent, etc etc.

    I've asked for guardianship status from my friends who aren't in the cult and know of my situation. I search up online and all I see is that 16 is still returnable by law. I'm trapped, and I'm so depressed and heartbroken no police or court will understand how it feels to be inside of a cult which acts so sexist and constantly punishes me for my beliefs and practices of my own.

    I can't get emancipation because it requires parental consent, and I don't know if I have a runaway status. I'm so scared a police officer will just detain me and not even hear the side of my story. I hate being born into this, why don't I have any rights to free myself from this sick and twisted fucking cult in this country?

    Please give me legal advice on what can help.

    submitted by /u/cultaway23451234
    [link] [comments]

    Social worker crossed out my wife's answer for our mixed son's ethnicity on his Healthcare application

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    This is a weird situation I've never really considered before. I'm a white male and my wife is Hispanic. As my wife was filling out the application for our son's healthcare she didn't know which ethnicity box to check for him so she just checked "white". The social worker told my wife she couldn't put "white" because she's not white. So my wife then marked both white and Hispanic and the social worker crossed out the white mark.

    First of all, can the social worker do that? Secondly, what ethnicity should we put for our son in the future?

    I live in California.

    submitted by /u/BleakMind
    [link] [comments]

    My dentist dropped one of her tools down my throat. I’ve been in the hospital for 48 hours since. Help.

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    Edit: NJ, USA.

    I was getting a routine root canal, and my dentist neglected to use a dental dam, resulting in an endoscopic file making its way down my very numb throat. I was rushed to the ER, x rayed, put under, scoped (no luck) CAT scanned, and x rayed twice more. I've got to have a case, right? Looking for any sort of advice. I have no medical insurance, and paid $1200 for the root canal that has yet to be completed. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/bmagzz
    [link] [comments]

    My father just passed without a will and now I’m worried that his gf of 6 years expects to inherit my childhood home

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    My father died about 2 weeks ago sort of unexpectedly (only started getting sick about 2 months ago), and I guess he didn't have the time to write up a will. He has 6 children, me being the second youngest, and our mother passed when I was little. We live in Texas. To my knowledge nothing of my father's estate was signed over to her, and they weren't planning on getting married.

    Today was the first time I tried bringing up the conversation of what we were going to do with the house, and she immediately flipped out and said she was planning on staying at the house indefinitely. Our dad only said that he wanted her to be taken care of financially, but we don't even have a lot of money in the inheritance to be able to afford the house payments for more than a year or so. As of now, the money that is in my dad's bank is auto paying all of the bills.

    I don't want to kick her out, but just today going over the place isn't being maintained like my dad did, so I want to move back in to take care it as soon as I can. I'd be okay with her living there until a new plan is sorted out, but in the end she can't just stay at the house forever right?

    Me and the oldest sibling are trying to figure out getting a lawyer, which she has already talked to one that advised us to transfer ownership over to us 6 kids. It's hard to remember specifics, but I'd appreciate any advice or knowledge on the subject.

    submitted by /u/benzo_fury_inurpants
    [link] [comments]

    (Update): (OH) Breaking Apartment Lease

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 04:28 PM PDT

    My OP didnt get any traction, so to speak, but I did get a couple helpful replies and so I'm posting an update. OP: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/hw7ivr/oh_breaking_apartment_lease/

    I pulled my son's current lease from his waiver provider and the lease does have an early term clause.

    Upon reading , I almost couldn't believe our good luck! The lease early term clause states to give 30 days notice, pay rent in full for that 30 days even if you move out before 30 days, no return of a security deposit + an additional 1 time flat fee payment of $600 bucks which the lease states would be slated for "efforts to re-rent the unit".

    The early term clause means my autistic son would save somewhere in the vicinity of 3k vs having to pay out the full term of the lease!

    Thank you to the couple Redditors who helped me!

    submitted by /u/Noelle305
    [link] [comments]

    Sister pretended to be me when arrested, now I have several dismissed shoplifting charges on my record

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 06:58 AM PDT

    They charged her with giving false info to the police, and dismissed the charges under my name but they still show up on a criminal background check. What can I do to get them removed? I live in AL right now, and the charges are in AZ in 2018/2019. I left AZ in 2016.

    submitted by /u/TheRealKNR
    [link] [comments]

    Tenncare Wanted Us to Pay More a Month, Appealed the Decision and Won. Now the Amount Has Been Increased by a Couple Hundred More a Month.

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    Hello. Longtime lurker first-time poster. I'm located in Tennessee. So my dad has been in a nursing home for a while and will be in one for the foreseeable future. Tenncare had my mom on zero liability. Meaning that due to her low income, we would not be responsible for making monthly payments to the nursing home. However, after my mom switched to cheaper health insurance, Tenncare argued that now my family makes too much money and increased the monthly payment from zero to around $200 a month. It's worth it to mention that the increase was based on an incorrect estimate of her monthly expenses. She appealed the decision and won, but Tenncare is now increasing the monthly payment to $500 a month starting in September. Is this legal and if so what can we do?

    submitted by /u/UnsyrupedPancakes
    [link] [comments]

    Medical examiner let body rot

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    Location: Arizona, Pima County

    A close friend just passed away and when the ME released the body to the funeral home after the autopsy, the funeral home called his mother and told her they strongly advised against the viewing they had planned because his skin was rotting off his face already. He was admitted to the ME within hours, possibly minutes, of death, so it's not like they got him in bad condition. He died in his sleep and there was no physical damage either. Is there anything we/she can do legally? I can't imagine them getting away with this, she really needed this viewing psychologically.

    submitted by /u/DisasterousResult
    [link] [comments]

    A pumpkin from our neighbor's garden is growing into our yard. The pumpkin is on our side of the fence. Is the pumpkin our property, or the neighbor's property?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    The roots of the pumpkin plant is in the neighbor's soil, but the vine grew through the fence causing the pumpkin itself to be on our side of the fence separating our properties. There is only one pumpkin that grew through the fence. Could we take the pumpkin on our property, or is it legally our neighbor's pumpkin?

    submitted by /u/Vanilla_Ella
    [link] [comments]

    Chase Bank Teller Stole my Money

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 01:38 PM PDT

    It was my friend's birthday about a week ago and so I gave him a $100 bill that I had in my wallet. Today he goes to deposit the money in his bank account and the teller says that the bill is a counterfeit and she takes it. However, she doesn't file a report or anything he ends up telling me this and I immediately don't believe that it is fake because I had multiple bills of the same series withdrawn at the same time and I'd used other bills in other places. It also made me suspicious that the cops weren't called or anything when he supposedly tried to deposit a counterfeit bill. I end up going with him to the bank, I also had the other bills I had in the series tested and they were proven to be real. Once we go to the bank we talk to someone who claims to be a manager and then she gives us a photocopy of what is supposedly the bill he deposited which quiet frankly was the most fake 100 dollar bill I've ever seen in my life. It had asian characters on it and was clearly very fake and was not the bill he deposited. When we said that and asked to see the security footage of when the bill was deposited the woman walked away and said this conversation is over. We kept the photo copies of the fake bill which he supposedly deposited. We also submitted a claim directly with Chase but due to recent events they said they won't be able to get back to us for a while with the maximum being a month from now. Once I got home I looked up chinese 100 dollar bill on google images and I got this link. https://www.reddit.com/r/asheville/comments/6rkhpv/counterfeit_100_bill_chinese_bank_teller_training/

    This is the exact picture of the photo copy the manager had given us, right down to the serial number. Now my question is what do we do, I don't want this to turn into a giant thing however I would like my friend to get his money back. This is clearly someone trying to steal his money and gave us a fake which is literally posted online, I don't want this to turn into a giant investigation over 100 dollars. But I want to see justice done and I'm not sure what to do from now.

    submitted by /u/specnine
    [link] [comments]

    (CO) Found neglected dog, owner won't answer calls or answer door. Can I keep him?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    I found a dog a couple nights ago around 3AM, about to get hit by car in the road. He was super nervous and shy, skinny as hell, and very dirty. He had tags on his collar with a phone number and address. I've left several messages and walked him to the house twice, his owner apparently lives right around the corner from where I found him, but nobody will come to the door or call me back.

    I also made several posts in local facebook groups. Someone reached out to me to say they had seen the dog with a man at the grocery store a few days ago, he was very drunk and had the police called on him for causing a public disturbance, and poor pup was running around the parking lot off leash dodging cars the whole time. I also got multiple comments saying they had seen him with homeless people around town in the past week.

    Long story short, I want to keep him and take care of him. He needs a good home, and it appears that his owner doesn't even care. He's already warmed up to me, I have a big home with a fenced in yard, and I know I have the means to take care of him. I want to take him to the shelter, get him scanned for a chip, and see if I can report him as neglected/abandoned so I can legally adopt him.

    What should I do to keep it legal here, in case the old owner comes back in a month and wants the pup back? I'm in Boulder County.

    submitted by /u/moogieboogie82
    [link] [comments]

    My “father-in-law” has been married 12 times before.

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    Mississippi

    My mother-in-law (let's say Milly) met a guy last year and I decided to look into him prior the their wedding. He claimed to have been married three times before but through lots of research, I obtained 12 previous marriage licenses from various states. He clearly lied about his previous marriages beginning with number 4. Milly confronted him, he confessed and she went through with the marriage after he sweet-talked her. Let's also mention that she had just been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

    He's been a nightmare recently, culminating in him blaming me for ruining his life for exposing his lies and in a drunken state, confronted me and punched me in the face twice in front of everyone. I didn't fight back as he's 73 and I'm 32, even though he has 4 inches and 30 pounds on me. I didn't want to end up getting arrested.

    Milly decided to kick him out but in Mississippi, he doesn't have to leave. I am not pressing charges for her sake as I don't want her last few months of life to involve legal battles.

    Based on him lying on the marriage license and her possible diminished state due to the brain cancer, do we have any shot at annulment or any other legal action? We know he won't agree to a divorce because he has nothing to his name and Milly owns the house and had a pretty decent retirement. He clearly just wants to cash in on her passing.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DirtyJohn_V2
    [link] [comments]

    Stepfather denying existence of my mother's trust and I don't have a copy. Is it illegal to and/or is there any recourse for, someone throwing away a person's notarized trust?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    California. Before my mother died in 2013, she created a revocable trust. I helped her create it. My stepfather was there during its creation, he paid to have it notarized, and he then took the notarized document and said he would file it with his lawyer there in town.

    When he came back "from the lawyer" he said there was some problem with it but that everything was taken care of and not to worry about it... This struck me as odd at the time, but I did not question it because I trusted him implicitly.

    Years later we are no longer on good terms. And this last summer I checked with his lawyer's office, and they say they have no record of it and it was never filed. When I asked him about it, he claims he has no memory of the trust existing, doesn't have it, and doesn't know what happened. .... the problem with that story is that the trust is listed as the grantor on the property deed that he and I are co owners of, inherited from my mother. This deed, I do have a copy of.

    As I put the pieces together, I now believe that my mother had included a right of survivorship clause into the trust, ensuring that I would inherit the property when he dies. And that he either disposed of my mother's notarized trust, or locked it away and is denying its existence, the motivation being to ensure that he has full control over what happens with his 1/2 of the ownership, so that he can leave it to his new girlfriend's family.

    I am devastated by this betrayal of my mother's wishes, we both trusted him implicitly. But as far as from a legal standpoint, I am trying to figure out if there's anything at all that I can do to ensure her wishes are honored.

    Unfortunately I did not think at the time to get my own copy of the trust, and even if I had one it wouldn't be notarized, there was only the one that he took to supposedly file with the lawyer.

    I'm going to check with the property deed office where the deed was notarized, to see if maybe they have a copy of the actual trust but it doesn't seem likely.

    Basically I'm wondering if this trust would be on record anywhere, other than being listed as grantor on the deed? I have the number of the notary that was used for her trust and have contacted but haven't heard back yet, and don't think they would have a copy, but would their record of its existence and legitimacy do anything?

    Or is it possible that a judge could order him to produce the trust or something? I know he could just say it was lost...

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/SiliconeGiant
    [link] [comments]

    My (15F) Boyfriend (17M) told me he was on probation from sexually assaulting a 12 year old girl, and that he also molested a 6 year old boy.

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    We have been dating for almost 1 year and recently we were both playing a game where we confessed or secrets which led to him confessing what he had done in the past. At first he just told me he was currently on probation, which was really surprising because I had no idea he ever even had problems with the law in the past. eventually I convinced him to tell me why he was on probation.

    He said it was because when he was 15 yrs old, him and his family went on vacation with their neighbors, who have a 12 year old daughter and he was caught groping her in her sleep by her parents. Her parents pressed charges, which led to him being arrested, and ultimately being put on probation. I don't know much more about the story because he didn't explain anymore except that his parents barely communicate with him anymore, and want him to leave their house when he turns 18.

    Even though I was disgusted at what he did I didn't react visibly upset because I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable and stop confessing, which I guess made him feel open to confess more, leading him to tell me about a 6 year old boy he recently baby sat.

    He told me he was playing a video game and he convinced the boy to perform oral sex on him so he could get a chance to play the game.

    I really am repulsed by what he did, but I don't know what to do, he didn't say who the little boy was, if he did I would try to tell his parents but I have no idea who it was. I do plan on breaking up with him, but I'm not sure if I should try to get more information from him first or just leave now.

    Also I have very strict parents so I'm also very worried about telling them what I know, but if the information I have is enough I'm open to telling them. Is this enough information for the police to take action if I reported him?

    We both live in Oregon.

    submitted by /u/ThrowRArem12
    [link] [comments]

    My name was put on a rapist list and I don’t know what to do.

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    So, there's a mega-thread on Twitter consisting of an unofficial "Sexual Abuser List." All that has to happen to be put on said list is for someone to say "________ raped/sexually abused me" and they'll put your name on it. The accuser stays anonymous, and the accused, of course, takes the social consequences whether actually guilty or not. I'm sure there are people on the list who actually are abusers, rapists, pedophiles, etc., and there are also people (me) who are innocent and unsure why anyone would accuse them, who accused them, etc. I'm losing friends and colleagues, I'm having a harder time getting dates, I'm confused and sick to my stomach about it. If anyone I've had sex with felt abused or treated unfairly, I'd like to sincerely apologize and talk it over with them and get to even ground on it. But I did NOT rape anybody and all the sex I've had has been, in my understanding, consensual. My name has been slandered online and I'm at a loss for what to do. Is there any action I can take?

    PS: I'm unsure if the flair I used pertains. If there's a better flair to gain more attention, I'll repost with updated flair. Location: Utah

    submitted by /u/1739015
    [link] [comments]

    (Realty -TN) Fake Engineer

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 08:59 AM PDT

    My wife and I purchased our first home in late 2018. (Knoxville, TN) During closing, after the first round of general inspections, our lender required that the foundation and structural supports in the basement be inspected and approved by a structural engineer. We also included this requirement (with needed repairs made, etc) in our closing documents. The seller offered to pay for this inspection and we, being naive, agreed to this "generous offer". We received a clear report, saying there isn't any obvious signs of settling/shifting and the foundation is stable. We've had noticeable shifting occurring since purchase. The structural engineer we just hired says the problems present are very serious and obvious, and no engineer would ever have passed off on this. This is where it gets weird. The engineer the seller hired provided both a falsified contract license and architectural engineering license numbers on the inspection. Not only should our house not have passed, but this man isn't licensed at all. Our house will likely need 1-2 walls of the foundation rebuilt and a supportive beam installed. I've filed a complaint through the Tennessee Board of Architectural and Engineering Examiners, who I hope will pursue this on their own to prevent this man from performing fraudulent inspections on other properties. Is there any action we may personally take against this fraud to recoup the cost of such a serious repair?

    EDIT: TL;DR: Engineer that inspected and approved our house foundation prior to purchase was a big fat phony and now we're looking at a major repair.

    submitted by /u/REUBENSACKLEBANKS
    [link] [comments]

    HELP! Hospital attempting to negligently discharge relative who 2 weeks ago shot herself in head. Schizophrenic, borderline personality, bipolar, depression. Refuse to budge on discharge because of insurance!

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    Hello, everyone. Im not sure this is the correct place to post this but I'm at a loss right now concerning a close relative of mine. 2 weeks ago, I received a phone call at work saying that this relative of mine had shot themselves in the head in my house. My house was sorrounded in crime scene tape and police squad cars. It took over an hour to find out she was not deceased, and over 24 hours to find out she was actually the one who made the call to 911 post incident. Doctors were amazed that not only did she survive and was conscious and had the alertness to call 911 but that the bullet somehow meraculaously failed to hit any major areas of the brain that caused what they believe to be permanent damage other than permanent blindness in her right eye and a few other comparatively minor issues.

    Long story short, she is a psychiatrists dream, schizophrenic, multiple personalities, depression, borderline personality disorder, etc. She has a history of evident self harm, sexual abuse, and other tragic history.

    She moved in with me with no identification but with medicaid out of the state of Arizona. We live in Florida. It has been just over 2 weeks since the incident and the case workers at the hospital have been ZERO help in helping get insurance through medicaid or even trying to transfer medicaid from Arizona to here. As such, the hospital is planning on releasing her in the next 24/48 hours and will not give us any information other than "the doctor deemed her fit to return home." This is ABSOLUTELY CRAZY NEGLIGENT, AThis person literally has an entire journal of hundereds of pages of evidence in her own handwriting that proves she's not fit for release yet. We want her home but she needs to get help, but I'm afraid without insurance the hospital is brushing her off. We both work full time and are absolutely terrified of leaving her alone, for one not fully recovered and secondly the first and only time she's been left alone attempted to kill herself in our house and very nearly succeeded. (she just moved in 3 days prior).

    I am at a total loss, due to covid 19 we are not able to actually be in the hospital to talk and everything is done via phone to no help.

    I'm so scared that the hospital is going to release her and she could have another schizophrenic episode and have another attempt on her life. With no insurance we also cannot afford the medications she's being prescribed.

    I am in search of some, any advice as to how to get her the help she needs with the hospital refusing to budge on discharge, this is so negligible and feel they might sign her death warrant over insurance. I know legally they can discharge her anytime they want I guess, especially without insurance. But I need to know our rights and have no guidance. We are the proxy and hold power of attorney for her

    submitted by /u/badtxv
    [link] [comments]

    Neighborhood wants me to get rid of my trees. What’s the legality here? (TX)

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    I bought the house I currently live in a few years ago and it has two Sago Palms in the front. I'm located in Houston. They were planted by the previous homeowner so have been there for at least 6-7 years. Sago Palms are dangerously toxic to dogs, they can die within hours of eating a seed pod. Recently someone in our neighborhood decided anybody with sago palms in their front yard should get rid of them because of their toxicity.

    Now I don't know of anybody that has had any actual issues. I think she's just trying to be a busy body, I'd assume like myself that when people take their dogs on walks they know to not let them sniff around in yards. Aside from Sagos there are many common plants in SE Texas that have some level of toxicity to pets like azaleas, oleanders, begonias, etc.

    My question is if I keep them and a neighbor's pet dies or gets sick from eating a seed do I have any sort of liability? I don't necessarily want to remove them, however if it could save me some headaches down the road it really wouldn't be much of a hassle to rip them out.

    submitted by /u/GeorgeWKush121617
    [link] [comments]

    Employer Has Not Been Paying Promised Wages for 3 Years

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 03:28 PM PDT

    (Nevada) Hi /r/legaladvice, I made the mistake of trusting my boss. I have been working at this place for 3 years and the starting rate was $9. I received "raises" shortly after starting eventually getting up to $12 an hour. I get direct deposit and never checked my paystubs (my fault). I always asked my boss if he put the raises in with payroll and he always said he did and he confirmed that that was the rate I have been payed. I realize since there is no writing saying I have the raise that it's my word against his, but he's been doing this with many employees. The other 2 managers can vouche for me that I should have been payed 10-11-12 the past 3 years. I calculated that I'm missing out on over $10k in wages because of this. What should I do? Go to the owner? I went to the office and they said the best thing I can do is ask for a raise again. They never said anything about backpay. Now my boss is denying ever confirming my pay, but the other two managers called him out. What is the best course of action? I realized that this is all partially my fault, but my boss reassured me he check with payroll MANY times.

    submitted by /u/rainbowunicorns69
    [link] [comments]

    [Seattle] New landlord is trying to raise our rent. We signed a year long lease with our old landlord in April this year. Can he legally do this?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    Hi everyone. Our old landlord decided he is too old to manage the huge amount of houses he owns so has decided to sell to a property developer. They haven't actually sold yet, but we met our potential new landlord today who told us he intends to raise our rent from 1900 a month to 2900 a month which we can't afford. Can he do this? Our lease is valid until April next year. We're married and have 2 young boys aged 4 & 5 if that makes a difference.

    submitted by /u/michael-spike-green
    [link] [comments]

    Husband lost his job - they fired the wrong guy

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 06:59 PM PDT

    Location, WI.

    Husband was fired after being wrongfully accused of offering coworkers marijuana at a company party, husband says it was his coworker talking about it, not him. Employer has mentioned that he gets the two employees confused with each other.

    Employer cited a zero tolerance policy that was never stated or signed off on, and no pre-employment drug screens were done.

    The additional reason given for termination was having a bad performance review which my husband never received.

    I think this is a cover story and my husband has been scapegoated and that they wanted an excuse to let him go.

    He is a partially disabled veteran with some physical difficulties due to the intense work schedule. He has been open and communicative with the boss about his physical limitations and the boss has been pressuring him to work a faster pace and longer hours which worsened his pain and made his limp more pronounced. Husband has been outspoken about COVID risks, lack of masks and lack of social distancing in the company.

    If my husband files for unemployment, the official reason given will count against him and likely deny him benefits.

    How can we fight this?

    submitted by /u/booknerdgirl4ever
    [link] [comments]

    Purchased home with fence that is inset on my property and neighbor has taken up extra space

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    I bought my home in a well populated neighborhood in Illinois (not Chicago) about a year back, and the fence the prior owner put up is inset about 2 feet inside my property line. My neighbors have taken it upon themselves to landscape/garden adjacent to the fence, and essentially are using the fence as their new property line. What are my options? My wife says 2ft isn't worth upsetting neighbors, lawsuit, etc. I'm afraid I'll run into issues with reselling.

    submitted by /u/plztalktomeimlonely
    [link] [comments]

    my dad [57m] has had the police called on/about him twice in the past two months for things he hasn't done and i'm wondering if there's anything i can do (NY)

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    hi i'm not sure if this is a serious enough issue to be posted here but i've really run out of options and i don't know what else to do.

    i'm 18f and i live in rochester new york, and like i said in the title, my dad has had issues with the police being called on/about him regarding things that he hasn't done. before i say anything else, i'm sorry if i broke any of the rules in this post or didn't flair it properly, as this is my first time posting here.

    ever since june or so my neighbors have been being really really rude and downright hostile towards my family and my dad specifically and i don't know what can be done. last month my dad went to my neighbors' house really quickly to ask them a question (it was about who did their fence i think but either way it was completely harmless) and it was a really hot day so he didn't think to wear a shirt. these people have been living next to us for a little over nine years and they know us very well, and up until now i'd say we were pretty friendly towards each other. however that day my neighbor (let's call her M) apparently felt violated and "sexually harassed" by my dad coming over to ask her a quick question so she called the police. they had a really long argument and eventually the police left because it was obviously a false call. however an hour later my dad heard some noises outside and apparently M's husband was HAMMERING his fist on the front door and the windows and when my dad went outside to ask him what he was doing he said that he was there to tell him to "stay the hell away from his wife" and then accused my dad of being creepy towards them and their kids (not true). my dad called the cops again because he thought that the guy was gonna try to hurt him or my mom and when the cops came they had yet another hour long argument which resulted in the cops telling the guy to leave my dad alone and then they left. nothing much happened for about two weeks after that but early july is when things get ugly.

    earlier this month (i don't remember the exact date, sorry) i answered the door to see two people from animal control telling me that they received an anonymous tip that we were neglecting and abusing our dog (not true) and that they were just here to see if that was true or not. obviously i explained to them that it was very much not true and they said that they didn't suspect anything was wrong and left. i pretty much knew that it was from M because one of her very close friends works for animal control and i figured she'd try and use that power to get my family in trouble again. in between then and now (july 24th) my neighbors haven't taken any real legal actions or done anything illegal but they've done small gestures to make it known to us that they don't like us; not letting their kids out while my dad is outside (he goes outside to read or make phone calls sometimes), the husband goes outside whenever my dad does to try to pick a fight with him, and most recently told the rest of our neighbors extremely bad things about my dad (that he's a violent drunk, a stalker, a sexual predator, a child molester, among other things) that are all untrue. yesterday the people that live in the house behind ours called the police because they "feel unsafe" knowing that my dad lives behind them (my dad was in the backyard when this happened, so he heard the conversation, however he wasn't eavesdropping on purpose) and that they wanted the police to do something to keep them safe or something. additionally, the people who live across from us who have been living there for about five or six years don't let their kids outside while my dad is outside either. we don't know if it was M herself who spread this but we don't have any problems with our other neighbors and haven't in the 18 years that my family has lived here. i won't say my dad is completely innocent; he got a DUI in october 2016 but as far as i know everything regarding that has been taken care of.

    tl;dr: my neighbors are being unfairly hostile towards my dad, have called the police on him twice for things he didn't do, and i'm wondering if there's anything i (18f) can do about it.

    i know we can't do much about what was most likely an anonymous letter sent to our neighbors or just petty rumors, but my dad is afraid to leave the house because he's afraid the police might be called on him again. i want to at least try to help. my dad was going to file a restraining order against M and her husband but it was too expensive, if that helps. again, i'm very sorry if i broke any of the rules in this post and/or didn't flair it properly, this is my first time posting here but i'd really appreciate any replies. thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/headasspotter
    [link] [comments]

    How do you know if you're in foreclosure and how can you stop it?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    My fiance and I got behind on the mortgage due to covid-19 and weren't able to pay it for 3 months. We never got an official notice that said we were in foreclosure. We finally got caught up at the beginning of July and made July's payment on time. I thought that was the end of our problems. I got the most recent statement in the mail today and it has a "bankruptcy/foreclosure fee assessed" fee for $15. Does this mean our house is being foreclosured even though we've caught up? If so, what can I do to stop it? My fiance and I are both working again so it shouldnt be a problem any longer.

    If this isn't the correct sub, please direct me to the right one. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MermaidDreams667
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment