• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 21, 2020

    Legal Advice - My daughter's father has custody every other weekend. He's had COVID-19 symptoms for over a week and refuses to get tested. He has custody this upcoming weekend.

    Legal Advice - My daughter's father has custody every other weekend. He's had COVID-19 symptoms for over a week and refuses to get tested. He has custody this upcoming weekend.


    My daughter's father has custody every other weekend. He's had COVID-19 symptoms for over a week and refuses to get tested. He has custody this upcoming weekend.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:39 AM PDT

    My 8-year-old daughter's father freely told me that he has had a fever, a persistent cough, some shortness of breath, and has been suffering from stomach pains and nausea. However, he thinks the pandemic is a hoax and completely refuses to get tested for COVID-19. He also refuses to cancel visitations. Is there anything I can do to postpone visitation or am I really required to send my daughter there this weekend? It is ridiculous that child welfare won't go to his home because they're afraid of being infected, yet my daughter might have to spend the entire weekend at his house.

    In the alternative, do I have any recourse if he ends up getting my daughter and the rest of the people in my family sick? I assume not, but thought I should at least ask.

    (Sacramento, CA)

    submitted by /u/throwaway_480
    [link] [comments]

    I (US Male, 33) suspect that I am on some sort of blacklist after an FBI security clearance interview more than a decade ago. How can I learn more? Are FOIA requests my only option?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:29 PM PDT

    I'm a 33 year old male in the United States. In 2008, I took a series of entrance exams for the US Army. I scored well enough on MEPS that I was offered a job that required FBI security clearance. During all the preliminary interviews and paperwork, I had downplayed (and lied by omission about) my wild teenage years and early 20s. Until about a year before talking to an Army recruiter, I had been a stereotypical drug-addled jam band music festival kid. This was easy enough to downplay to the Army recruiters; they weren't really interested in prying too much after I had passed a current drug test.

    However, near the end of the enrollment process, right before signing my contract, one of the final steps in the process was interviewing with the FBI. The nature of this interview was much different than with any Army officials I had spoken to so far. Every aspect of my life up to that point was discussed in great detail. I absolutely knew better than to lie to the FBI under any circumstance. I answered every question they had honestly. And so when I was asked about any history with drug abuse; I was honest. My answers to this line of questioning were literally eyebrow raising to them, but the rest of the interview went well.

    After I was dismissed from the room, the two contacts with me from the Army were called in to speak with the FBI agents privately. Ten or fifteen minutes later they all came out of the interview room and the Army guys were absolutely furious with me. The ride home from the base took about 90 minutes. The whole time I was getting chewed out by both my recruiting sergeant and his partner. This incident was apparently a big enough deal that the staff sergeant of the recruiting station also called one of their phones and demanded to take me down a notch himself.

    When we got back to the recruiting station; I had a few more pieces of paperwork to sign basically withdrawing the application. At the end I was warned never to try enlisting again. I don't specifically recall them using the word 'blacklist', but they repeated this point again and again.

    This leads me to today. In the 12 years since this happened; I have never gotten a job I applied for that required a background check. I've consistently worked ever since, right up until the lockdowns started. But in the times when I was actively looking for work; I've always coincidentally landed the jobs that didn't do a background check. It's taken me more than a decade to recognize this pattern.

    How do I go about looking into this? Do I pay for a background check on myself? Is there some sort of FOIA request that I can make to see if anything is on my record? Is there a federal / FBI version of a background check that can give me more information? Is this something I need to talk to a lawyer about before moving forward? I really don't know where to go from here. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/blacklistthrowaway86
    [link] [comments]

    My employer (a school) wants me to sign a Covid-19 waiver releasing them of responsibility if I get sick.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    My local public school district has decided to go with remote learning, but the private school I work at has decided to open fully in-person. They want me to sign a waiver releasing them "from any and all claims, demands, liabilities, rights, damages, expenses, and causes of action of whatever kind or nature, and other losses of any kind, whether known or unknown" arising from Covid-19 during my employment. The waiver also states that "I understand and acknowledge that the Colorado Workers' Compensation Act is my exclusive remedy against the School and the School Group for any and all work-related injuries, including illnesses." A little bit of Googling seems to show me that the Colorado Workers' Compensation Act is currently only giving coronavirus protection to essential workers, which teachers are NOT considered.

    My school is tiny and has less than dozen teachers. I've organized for all of us to talk about this together before signing. What should our next steps and our demands be?

    submitted by /u/SnazzBridges
    [link] [comments]

    Previous homeowner left a gun in a house my brother bought, Is it my brother's gun now?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    My brother was remodeling his house and found a 22 hand gun in the attic with a bill of sale from the original owner of the house. My brother would like to keep the gun but we don't know if he needs to register it or what. Is it legal for the gun to be in the house right now? We live in South Carolina if that helps.

    submitted by /u/Xavier_Longbottom
    [link] [comments]

    Lowe’s is selling inventory I ordered and paid for months ago.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 05:22 AM PDT

    Edit: I live in Alabama.

    About 3 months ago my wife and I went through Lowe's to order and install new kitchen cabinets, countertops, and appliances. We had everything picked out, but we couldn't get started because they were two cabinets short in store and the factory that made them were quarantined and not in production. Understandable.

    So we wait 3 months and eventually the cabinets trickle in. The salesperson called us and said they'd finally come in and are scheduled for delivery. Well, everything is delivered today and we don't have the countertops or range, and one of the cabinets we were waiting 3 months for had been opened and marked down as a floor model for $25.00 when we paid $200. This cabinet came factory sealed and now has been a floor model (confirmed by the salesperson helping design the kitchen). She also told us that our range has been sold by another salesperson despite her removing it from their stock and they don't have another one in stock and would have to order it.

    I'm pissed someone sold my range and I don't have one at all. I'm pissed I paid $200 for a kitchen cabinet that someone opened and marked down to $25. They exposed it to the public and Covid-19. And my installers are coming today and I have no countertops or range. What are my options? I'd like references because I'm going down there to raise hell and I'd like to know what I can do and can't do. What power as a consumer do I have? Thank you in advance.

    Update: I went and spoke to the manager and they upgraded my range and found my countertops in their receiving department, but the bad news is the installer opened the boxes and two of my cabinets are cracked (one of which being the model put out on the floor). I hate Lowe's.

    submitted by /u/alpha723
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] Stepmother is claiming that my father did not have a Will

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 05:41 PM PDT

    My father died back in March leaving a second wife, 4 kids, and a few grandkids. We all have a rather strained relationship with our stepmother and wanted to let her grieve, so we waited to bring up the will with her until this past month. Last week, by text, she made the claim that there was no will and has not responded to any of our messages since. We are all very skeptical about this claim and are worried that she may be hiding the will against our father's last wishes. We are suspicious for a few reasons:

    1. He called my sister in 2018 stating that he was making her co-executor of his will and that he wanted to leave money for us.

    2. He was a very organized and intelligent man, so the idea of him not organizing a will at any point either before or after his second marriage is shocking.

    The problem is that we do not have the name of his attorney or a copy of the will. We also do not know if a will was filed with his death certificate, or if this lawyer was notified about his death.

    Ultimately we are wondering if this case is worth pursuing legally, and if there is a way to locate his lawyer without having to contact our stepmother?

    submitted by /u/soccer779822
    [link] [comments]

    Great Uncle has installed a metal door and possibly listening devices in great-grandmother's home (among many other things). What can I do to help her?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:50 AM PDT

    I can't even believe that this is a story I'm currently living through because it is that insane. At this point, I fear for my family member's lives and my great-grandmother's wellbeing.

    Here is the main point we are at right now: My great uncle (great-grandmother's son), let's call him Paul. Paul has come home to Pennsylvania from Florida to visit, along with his wife and her children. While here, he threw away an unknown amount of items from her house, possibly took items home, and installed a huge metal door with fencing around it (imagine the metal doors that stores in bad neighborhoods use to close up at night) at the top of her stairs which lead to the attic. In the attic is his childhood room, which previously held 0 possessions of his. There is also a second bedroom and attic area full of my great-grandmother's items, such as winter clothing, home decor, christmas decor, painting supplies, and way more. She is now unable to access them.

    This door was installed WITHOUT My great-grandmother knowing and without her approval. I am unsure if she approved him to get rid of or take any items. My brother believes he found a listening device in the home but that is not confirmed. I would not be surprised if Paul is listening and waiting to fly back at any moment.

    A little more background: My brother has been staying at my my great-grandmother's home nightly for the past couple months. Her husband passed recently and it was more so she could have company. He stayed in what used to be Paul's childhood bedroom. Paul and his wife stay in that room when they visit, so my brother cleaned it out but still had some of his clothes, a TV, an Xbox, and money in the room. This was all put away and shouldn't have hindered on their stay.

    This infuriated Paul. He threw my brother's items down the stairs. Told him to get everything and leave. Told him he is not welcome on the property ever again. He has gotten in his face screaming. We do not know why to this day. My brother is 18 and is beyond beside himself. He has been bawling and trying to figure out what he did wrong.

    My brother's girlfriend has also being staying in the home, with permission from my great-grandmother and her own family. Together, they have been helping my great-grandmother clean, cook, and keeping her company.

    On the night that Paul told them to get their stuff and leave, my brother and his girlfriend both went to the house to do just that. While there, Paul's wife grabbed a hold of my brother's girlfriend by the back of the neck. She said, and I quote, "Come here little bitch. Paul, do you want to see me beat a little girl's ass?" This occurred in front of my great-grandmother and the wife's children. My brother's girlfriend did not retaliate, she got away and went outside. She had done nothing prior and only said "I'm going to get my stuff and am leaving."

    Paul told my brother he is not allowed to step foot on the property. And if he does, he will find out and he will do something about it. I believe the exact words were "there will be to hell to pay." Paul does not own the home, the land, or anything. It will not even be left to him in the will because it is now owned by the bank.

    There is more that has occurred, but these are the major items. During all of this, my great-grandmother sat back and watched. She never asked Paul and his family to leave. I believe she is too afraid to do anything about it, but she has not admitted that.

    Some background on Paul: Ex-army, ex-policeman, teaches gun classes, always carries. He has killed people (in war and as a police officer) There is a lot of bad family history as well. He is scary. My family does not visit our great-grandmother when he is here because we are afraid of him. I do not put physical harm or shooting us past him.

    I don't know what to do. I feel like I can't help because my great-grandmother isn't taking any action. I would love to know if there is something I can do to help her, to make him not be able to come back here. My family is afraid to go to the cops because my brother has been in some (minor) trouble in the past. I keep saying that doesn' tmatter but they are against it. Paul's wife is "sue happy" and would instantly try to make a case against us. And paul is very knowledgeable (or seems to be) in the legal system that I want to make sure my I's are dotted and T's are crossed before I do anything.

    I'm so worried and so afraid. Any advice is beyond appreciated. I will provide more info if needed.

    submitted by /u/missh15
    [link] [comments]

    Am I justified in calling CPS?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 02:21 PM PDT

    Hi all, so my fiancés stepbrother, SB from now on, and SB's GF, just GF from now on, have a daughter. She's 11 months old and the family is starting to get worried. Brief background, GF was 14 and SB was 17 when they started having sex. Yes it was skeevy but there's a law in NC called Romeo and Juliet that protects couples who went to high school together. Anyway, they had unprotected sex for 2 years and got lucky, I guess.. until they didn't. She was 16 when she announced she was pregnant.. gleefully. SB was... dead silent. Never talked about it, barely responded to the obligatory congratulations being offered through clenched teeth. Everyone who had spent more than an hour with them knew they weren't ready. SB did not want this kid. SB stated he did not want this kid. As time has gone on, more and more shit has piled up, its easier to bullet point. 1. SB smokes weed and vapes around their daughter constantly 2. GF's family is full of meth heads and fentanyl users who visit the baby, often while high 3. SB frequently invites his dealers to the home 4. SB screams at GF almost on a daily basis and it has escalated multiple times to him pinching her and throwing things at her 5. SB has picked up the daughter, held her in stereotypical babyshaking fashion and screamed in her face. 6. SB has also 'smacked' his daughter's hand. 7. The home environment is filthy, has mold, and GF frequently tries to tame feral cats (fleas, worms, and all)Their daughter caught ringworm from this. 8. Their daughter has also caught MRSA twice and was almost hospitalized the second time after she had a fever of 103. SB and GF delayed care while their daughter had a fever because they figured she would just 'sweat it out' (SBs wording)

    Unfortunately, SB'S dad has had a tough time really believing his son is as bad as everyone tries to point out. A lot of excuses get made for SB and GF but GF has recently stopped standing up to SB. Things have really escalated in the past 2 months

    What do you guys think? Is CPS warranted at this point? Would they even try to remove their daughter or would they just get a slap on the wrist? We're in NC

    submitted by /u/druidmama23
    [link] [comments]

    [SF,CA] Abusive Landlord demanding over $14k after move-out for fancy upgrades

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 11:56 AM PDT

    I'm sick to my stomach. My landlord has been a nightmare for 7+ years. I finally thought I was free of him after moving out, and now he's found a way to be a jerk even after I've moved states.

    Before I get to the charges (which I think are all bogus), I have a few issues with timing:

    • LL did not notify me of my right to get a pre-move out inspection
    • LL refused to give me a pre-move out inspection (documented in email)
    • LL did not respond within 21 days of when I vacated the apartment and returned keys. LL claims he had 21 days from June 30th, but I moved out 10 days earlier and even saw him that day, he saw me leave in a huge truck (he actually tried to have my moving truck towed, which cost me $150), I told him keys were on the counter and that I wouldn't be back.

    As far as the charges, all of them are estimates, no actual damages or receipts. $10k is from a contractor estimate, $3k is for a month's rent (he says work will take 4 weeks), and then $2k in various BS charges.... going to list them now.

    1. He has quote for brand new granite/quartz countertops, because of a small chip size of dime in the cheap laminate countertop I had. There were already 4 other similarly sized chips in the countertop when I moved in.
    2. In quote there is a brand new stainless steel sink and plumbing for sink, because of a 1mm x 4mm chip in the ceramic sink. (chip happened when cleaning a pan that slipped)
    3. Brand new high end gas stove, because there is some carbon buildup on the cheap stove I had that was impossible to clean. It worked fine but it was stained even before I moved in (though it did get worse over 7 years).
    4. Brand new high end dishwasher. He claims my (shitty and old) dishwasher is "noisy and not draining", which is true and I've complained about it. Isn't that his responsibility?
    5. He wants $400 for "custom drapes" which were shitty drapes cut from discount material he did himself. A few years into tenancy he demanded I clean his drapes and didn't give care instructions, so I washed them on cold and they shrank.... he wants the $400 because they shrank
    6. He wants $250 for not returning keys when he only gave me one set, and I returned two sets (I had a backup). I don't know when he's even talking about.
    7. He wants $250 for a broken toilet valve. My toilet didn't work last couple weeks of tenancy because the valve was an old compression valve that O-Ring wore out so it wouldn't provide any water to toilet, but he is saying I damaged it.
    8. $190 for cleaning, when I left the place cleaner than I found it (and have photos to prove)
    9. Couple other random bogus stuff

    I'd like to sue him in small claims for the return of my $1k security deposit + double damages ($3k total) because he refused to do the pre-move out inspection and took more than 21 days to respond, and only included estimates not charges. Does anyone know what's going on with small claims court in SF / CA??? Are they even doing it with Covid stuff?

    What do I do about this demand for 14k???

    I'd really like to handle this myself and make him pay, but if he gets even 10% of these bogus charges it'll cost me more than the security deposit. I don't know what to do.

    Does anyone know how I should approach this?

    submitted by /u/abusedCAtenant
    [link] [comments]

    I (23F) was raped by my cousins (16F) boyfriend (16M). Please help

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    Recently, I went to a family gathering at my Uncle's house. (My family doesn't believe that the current world events are real, and I was dragged by my parents to go but wore a mask)
    My cousin, who I'll call Ashley, has a boyfriend, called Daniel, and they have been dating for 2 years. His parents are very close family friends with mine and Ashleys parents.

    My uncle's house is very very big, it's a three story house and has a huge backyard/front porch area. Our families (mine, Ashley's, and other aunts/uncles/cousins), Daniels parents, and some other family friends were all in the backyard (it was a barbecue and there is also a pool so they were swimming too).

    I didn't want to risk getting sick, so I went inside with my phone and headphone and was watching YouTube. I didn't want to come, but I still live with my parents (I'm doing university and can't afford to move out yet) and my parents made me come.

    My parents knew I was going to go inside so its not like they didn't know where I was or anything. After maybe half a hour I hear the front door open and Daniel comes in. He looked surprised that someone was inside and asked what I was doing. I just said that I didn't want to risk getting sick and he nodded and sat next to me on the couch. I tried to keep watching on my phone but he kept staring at me and it made me uncomfortable.

    I asked him what he was doing inside and he just said it was hot outside and he wanted to cool down. He started talking about Ashley and said that he was thinking of breaking up with her because he was interested in someone else. I was kind if ignoring him and was like "oh.."
    He started to scoot closer to me and kept rambling. He starting saying that I was really pretty and then he suddenly put his hand on my thigh and he tried to kiss me. I jumped up from the couch and was like "um can you not" and then he grabbed me by my hair and pulled me back to him. Thats when he took my clothes off and raped me.

    I am very short/skinny/petite and I've been like that all my life. I tried to hit him and slap him but he didn't really seem fazed by it. I tried to bite his arm but he slapped me really hard and I started to cry. He flipped me onto my stomach and I couldn't fight him because he had his arms holding me down. I tried to scream but he pushed my head into the couch so it was muffled. Since everyone was outside and the front of the house was far from the backyard, nobody came where we were when he did it.

    After he finished and let my head off of the couch, I said that he was a monster and a fucking rapist and that he will rot in prison, then he just had this smile on his face and said that I was the rapist. I was stunned and he said that since he was underage and minors can't consent, so I technically raped him. He said that theres no point in telling everyone since nobody will believe that an adult was raped by a teenager. He kept going on about how i would never be able to get a job if i was a convicted child rapist. I started crying again and he dressed himself and went back outside.

    After I got dressed I put my mask on and told my parents I wanted to go home. Daniel offered to drive me back with his car but my parents said that it was getting late and they would take me.

    I haven't told anyone yet and I haven't been getting any sleep. I'm terrified to be left alone and when my parents were trying to leave for work the day after, I cried and begged them to stay. They didn't understand what was wrong and left anyway and I stayed in my room under my blanket crying all day. They told me I've been acting weird and want to get me a therapist.

    I want to report him to the police but I'm afraid that he'll say that I raped him. I'm so scared and don't know what to do. He's a really close family friend and I don't think my family will believe me. I don't have money for a lawyer.(got into university on a scholarship)

    Is there any other option? What can I do? Who do I talk to?

    Edit: forgot location, sorry. I live in southern california, the city of Anaheim

    Edit 2: I'm going to get a rape kit done and I will try to go on birth control/ morning after pill to prevent pregnancy. Thanks for all the advice, will edit with an update soon.

    submitted by /u/AnonymousCatLover101
    [link] [comments]

    USA, GA - My friend's boyfriend transferred all of his funds into his girlfriend's bank account before he committed suicide. Is she legally entitled to the money?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    GA, USA.

    They were not married. They were both over 18 years old. He left no will. He gifted her the money on the pretense that his bank account had been compromised and that he was moving the money into hers for safe keeping. His family has not asked for the money back outright, but they are pressuring her into giving it to them to pay for funeral services, among other things. If she elects not to give them the money, does his family have the right to sue her for it? I am worried if she withholds the money, they will threaten legal action in order to coerce her.

    submitted by /u/legalthrowaway564
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord entered my apartment and threw my stuff away before my lease was up. What should I do?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    My lease is up on the 23rd. My roommate and I got a truck and moved most of our stuff out on the 18th. I left some things behind because I needed them to clean the place, and hadn't gotten all the command hooks off the walls and stuff like that. I went back on the 20th planning to clean, and maintenance was in my apartment painting the walls. They'd thrown away some of the stuff I'd left there (a trash can, a basket, a chair) but set some other things aside. I don't know if they tried to contact me because I got a new phone and didn't move my SIM card over yet so I'm not getting texts from the number they have on file.

    Is that legal? Going into my apartment before my lease is up and throwing things away? I was having a panic attack at the time, so I didn't handle it well, I'm sure. The guys in my apartment didn't know what was going on, so they called the office then told me to go there and talk to someone. So I went to the office, but the chick they told me to talk to was on lunch. I talked to the head maintenance guy, and even though he was wearing a mask he seemed SUPER anxious and freaked out.

    I said I was concerned that I would be charged cleaning fees because I didn't get to clean the place before they started, and he quickly assured me I wouldn't be. He said "you won't be charged for anything happening in there."

    I don't know what I'm supposed to do. This seems super shady to me? Is it actually legal?

    submitted by /u/ImagineAnOkapi
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord remolding our townhome, mid-pandemcic, while we're living in it. [Dallas, TX]

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    Our landlord has decided to start redoing all of the stucco and windows on our townhouse, while were living in it. This is a mult-unit complex and we have been told all of the owners voted to redo the stucco (20 something units).

    We have just realized this process entails workers coming in and out of our home most every single day for up to 2 months, keep in mind Texas is a covid hotspot and none of us are comfortable with this. They are removing every window in the house and boarding them up, so we'll lose all of our light along with access to our 2 balconies. Two of the three people who live here are working from home, which has become almost impossible with the constant buzzsaws and powertools. I also have a dog which is scared of the constant banging and barks at people constantly going in and out of our home.

    Like I said, this is supposed to last 2 months, which is coincidentally exactly how long we have left on our lease. Do we have any options for reduced or free rent? Options not dependent solely on the kindness of our landlord? Should we just break our lease? We were planning on extending but have been told we only have 10 days to decide before our rent is jacked up on a month to month rate, and have not yet been offered any compensation despite requesting it.

    Thanks in advance for your advice.

    submitted by /u/fdub51
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord forcfully evicted someone I know, what can be done?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    Hello all, I live in Canada for info. Someone I know has been forcfully evicted from the appartment/house they live in. Rent was not being paid, and yesterday the owner just threw their belongings out onto the garbage, put the cats in a shelter claiming lost/abandoned animals, and changed the locks. The house is now up for rent/ sale. No notice was given that I know of, and the tenants were not notified of this until they tried to re-enter the dwelling. What can be done?

    submitted by /u/1621dudes
    [link] [comments]

    My (US) bank gave me Canadian money, and won't take it back.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 12:17 PM PDT

    It's as weird as it sounds. I live in a building with coin operated laundry, so I've been having a tough time getting laundry done lately with the US coin shortage. On Monday I gave it another go, and stood in line at the bank for about an hour. They told me there was a one-per-customer limit on the quarter rolls, so I gave them my $10 bill and went home with a roll. After struggling trying to get the washing machine to accept the quarters - I realized more than half of them were Canadian coins! For anyone who doesn't know, the Canadian 25 cent coins are the same color, size and shape as American quarters, but coin machines won't take them.

    I went back to the bank, waited in line again, and explained my situation to the teller - who told me that there was "no proof" I had purchased the coins from the bank (to be fair I definitely didn't ask for a receipt for purchasing a roll of quarters), and said they weren't allowed to give me replacement quarters. I paid in cash so there's no record of the purchase on my bank card.

    I realize there probably is no available course of action outside of complaining about it to the bank; I'm just upset I basically threw my money away (and still can't do laundry lol). Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/LemDoggo
    [link] [comments]

    My elderly father fell and hurt himself getting off a plane because the airline separated him from his wife and caretaker

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    My cognitively impaired and frail 92-year-old father and his wife (also his caretaker) bought Business Class seats for their overseas flight which consists of 4 legs. On the first leg of their trip, the airline sat them a couple rows apart and on opposite sides of the plane. When my father's wife asked to be seated next to my father, they moved her to a seat in Economy Class, further away from my father, where she was unable to assist him. When she protested, they refused to reseat her in Business and left her in Economy for the flight.

    Once they landed in Washington DC for their first layover, my father got up and disembarked the plane. Being cognitively impaired, he left his belongings on the plane and did not wait for his wife or a wheelchair as they normally would; he just got up and left unassisted, and his wife was not able to stop him since she was seated back in Economy. As he was walking off the plane, he fell on the jet bridge, hit his head, cut his face and broke his eye glasses. Because he was not able to answer a number of questions correctly that the airport medics had asked him (like his age, current year, where he is — and this is probably due to his cognitive impairment), they forced him to go to the ER, where a number of tests were run on him. The hospital discharged him many hours later and by then they had missed their connecting flight, so they spent the night at a local hotel (covered by the airline) and they caught a flight out the following day. They ran into additional problems on their subsequent legs, like no wheelchairs reserved/available due to messed up itinerary, and their 23 hour trip turned into a 52 hour nightmare.

    Due to severity of Covid outbreaks in their location, they are fearful of going to a hospital to assess his condition further. From outward appearances, he appears not to have suffered more than facial lacerations and bruising, but we do not know for certain.

    Was the airline negligent in separating a frail and cognitively impaired passenger from his caretaker (wife) and liable for the resulting trauma they experienced?

    What is the best way to find a reputable personal injury lawyer? Do we need to look in the Washington DC area since that is where the incident occurred?

    submitted by /u/hantek
    [link] [comments]

    Bucks County, PA: Streets dept painted new turning lanes directly in front of my driveway. The wind blew a wet paint dust over my car, leaving my black exterior speckled with dozens of white paint dots. Do I have any legal recourse for them to fix it?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 01:02 PM PDT

    Landlord evicting me for staying somewhere else after roofers dropped an AC through my roof

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    This post is on behalf of my sister, who finds herself going through a rough time right now.

    I live in a sober living complex in SLC, UT. This has been where I have lived for the past 2 years while going through drug court and remaining sober. I do not know if this being a sober living community has any bearing on the legality of the situation, but it is an apartment building with about 20 units.

    During the beginning of COVID, we were asked to self isolate, not have any guests, and refrain from traveling. We never signed any sort of addendum about this. It is not in the lease.

    4 days ago, a construction crew dropped an air conditioning unit through the roof into my apartment, leaving a gaping hole in the roof. I decided to spend 2 nights elsewhere while they figured out how to repair the roof.

    My landlord discovered this after they let themselves into my apartment (which is fine, this constitutes an emergency), and confronted me about my absence on day 3 after the roof situation. My landlord stated that because I had decided to stay somewhere else, I had broken the rules and had to leave immediately. I returned to my apartment, where they escorted me upstairs (they had already changed the locks), gave me black garbage bags, and forced me to grab as many things as I could, and then I was escorted off the property. Some of my items are still in the apartment, such as clothes, shoes, pictures, food, etc. My daughter's belongings are also still in the apartment. I could find nowhere to stay that night, and so I slept in a Uhaul truck last night while my daughter slept at a friends. My locks are still changed and I am unable to enter the apartment.

    It's important to note that I was not served any type of notice to vacate. I was told to call my landlord on day 3 after the roof was damaged, where they told me I had to come back immediately, pack my things, and leave. This was all over the phone.

    Questions:

    1. Because this is a sober living facility, do they have any special ability to evict someone for not self isolating due to COVID? I'm current on rent and have not broken my lease agreement.
    2. Do they still have to follow standard eviction process of serving notice, then filing in court?
    3. Can I get the police to let me back into my apartment, and is this considered an illegal eviction?
    4. Does Utah still have a stay on evictions right now?
    submitted by /u/Kylista
    [link] [comments]

    Someone stole a ghost pepper off my balcony that had pesticide on it. Am I liable if they get sick?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    I live in Texas. I have a ghost pepper plant that I'm growing for fun on my balcony, with no intention of eating it, so I just sprayed it with a random pesticide I had laying around the house. This morning, one of the peppers is missing and obviously torn off from the stem. Now I'm worried whoever stole it could get sick since I didn't check if the pesticide is safe for consumption. Would I be at all liable? And could I put a sign up that says they aren't safe to eat?

    submitted by /u/yogadogmed
    [link] [comments]

    Subscription with promotion never delivered promotion

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 02:58 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I paid a substantial (under $200) subscription fee to a digital service. I don't use the service, but they promised a promotional item.

    I received an email telling me they would give me the promotional code at a later date, but that date never came.

    After reaching out to them (multiple times - they were totally unresponsive for several months), they said they won't be providing me a code. (They also forwarded early internal marketing materials, but not the published terms). No refund was offered - ostensibly because I paid for a subscription, not the promotional item.

    Do I have any recourse?

    I lived in California at the time. The business is headquartered in New York. I now live in Washington.

    submitted by /u/rowtuh
    [link] [comments]

    Boss Says I Dont Make Overtime

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 02:12 AM PDT

    I am 18 years old and I work at a restaurant in Connecticut. I have been working 60-70 hours a week at my job as Both a waiter and bus boy. On my check I only had my 19 Hours as a waiter and my tips. The rest was given in cash which was not as much as I was expecting. I asked about my overtime pay to which my boss laughed and said you don't get overtime here. I complained and eventually got some more money but not much. She claimed that she was saving me money on my check by giving me half in cash but I believe that I'm not being compensated fairly for the amount of work I put in. I make 6.38 an hour as a waiter and 8.23 as a bus boy plus tips. I would like advice on how I can calculate my checks starting now to make sure I am not being screwed over by my employer and underpaid. Also If there is any insight on how checks are taxed based on the amount of money on them that would also be great. I am willing it answer any questions if need be.

    Update: there is some additional information I think I should provide and some more questions I have. Firstly I want to thank everyone for all the comments and advice I very much appreciate it. I'm not too familiar with employment law but I will look at the poster we have at work. Also We electronically clock in and clock out. I have started taking pictures every time I clock in and out just in case they try to change the times. some days I work all day, 10- at least 10. The week that this post was about some days I was work 13 to 15 hour shifts with no break, is that legal? A lot of people are saying that I should be making 1.5x min wage. For my instance is that 1.5 x $8.23? Or is it 1.5 x $11 (state min wage)? what sort of evidence should I be collecting? We do everything electronically at my job. Is it worth it to pursue this legally?

    submitted by /u/yourboyfoamyurine
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor is mentally unstable and seems to be getting worse. I am worried for mine and my other neighbors' safety. The cops have been by many times but can't seem to do anything. What can I do?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    I have lived across the hall from my neighbor for about three years. She lives alone and has always been relatively quiet and rarely seen besides walking her dogs. However since Covid hit, she has displayed increasingly aggressive behavior. She will scream threats at the top of her lungs, often out her back window to no one in particular. She's left piles of dog feces at mine and neighbors' doors. The police have been here about 10 times since March. Several times she called, saying that things have gone missing or have been moved in her unit when she was not there. I called them one time when she tried to steal a neighbor's kid's bicycle, then threatened to kill him several times when he confronted her.

    About an hour ago she was screaming at my door accusing me of stealing one of her dogs. She just smashed what sounded like several glass objects by my back door and on a shared stairwell. The police are talking to her now (one of my neighbors called them).

    She hasn't directly harmed anyone but I fear that one of these outbursts could result in someone getting hurt. I'm afraid to leave my unit and run into her. The last time the police were here I heard her tell them she was diagnosed bipolar and "had a mental breakdown" several years ago. She was an attorney before that point and has made it clear she knows her rights. It seems the police are unable to help outside of when she is having an outburst.

    Is there anything I can do? She really needs help and I do not want to live in fear.

    Edit: I live in Wisconsin.

    submitted by /u/jgam7
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor’s pack of aggressive dogs, who constantly run onto our yard, seriously injured one of my dogs. They are known to be aggressive throughout our neighborhood

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    My family and I live on a 10 acre plot on a private road (not owned by us, I forgot who owns it but basically we all had to agree to give up a piece of our property to act as a road). It is enough land for our 4 small/medium dogs to run around when they want, though they usually stay near the house. Across the street is like a typical neighborhood: houses lined side to side with small yards. Most of the houses have their yard fenced in, however there's a house who lives in the corner whose unfenced yard is filled with junkyard scraps and firewood and just a lot of things, which is important to this because they have a lot of dogs, at least 6 dogs who are of a larger breed. Those neighbors, which we will call Bad Neighbors (BN), do not care where their dogs roam or what they do. They are usually seen sleeping on the road or underneath BN's house. Those dogs have been around for about 15 years since I was a kid, just breeding out of control and keeping that pack big. I have a friend who told me that her aunt that lives close to BN accidentally left her gate open and BN's dogs ran into her yard and killed one of her dogs. When the aunt confronted BN, all he said was "Well you should have closed your gate." We are friendly with another family who lives across the street and are also related to BN. They told us that one of their kids got bitten by one of those dogs maybe about a year ago, but they did not press charges or anything of the like, I suspect only because they are related. That same family also had a German Shepard killed by the pack of dogs, she was a sweetheart. The pack of dogs have a long history of coming to our yard. Our yard is not fenced in because we live towards the back of the 10 acres and we felt like the distance was enough to keep our dogs from venturing too far. Plus, our dogs have learned to stay near our house. Though a few years ago we had a kennel/gated area made for them because BN's dogs would come to our yard and terrorize our dogs. Though it was absurd that we had to protect our own dogs from being attacked on our own property, we made it anyways to keep them safe. However about a month ago, the kennel door broke so we have not been able to put them inside, but honestly they seemed happier being outside full time so we let it be. BN's dogs have come to our yard and terrorized our dogs once again, but my dogs have outran them and I chase them away. However, last week, one of my dogs got savagely attacked. His shoulder was basically sliced opened and I've tried to patch him up and keep him clean but I inevitably had to take him to the vet. I wasn't sure if he was gonna make it but he seems good now. But I really don't want him to get better just for BN's dogs to come back and maybe actually kill him this time. I love dogs and I ultimately know it's it completely the pack dogs fault because they need space and ultimately BN does not provide that.

    TL;DR: pack of dogs who have history of being aggressive and constantly running to our yard severely injured one of my dogs

    So what can I do to either get the pack of dogs taken away or how do I get police involved?

    Edit: I live in Texas

    submitted by /u/Lactose-Intolerant00
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment