• Breaking News

    Monday, July 20, 2020

    Legal Advice - Step-father left me everything in his will - his estranged daughter is trying to contest it

    Legal Advice - Step-father left me everything in his will - his estranged daughter is trying to contest it


    Step-father left me everything in his will - his estranged daughter is trying to contest it

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 04:47 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, as the title state - my stepfather recently passed away and left me everything in his will; including my childhood home.

    My real mom actually passed away a few years ago, so I had been living with my stepdad through college. We even spread my moms ashes around a tree in our backyard, and I have always seen my stepfather as my actual dad and father figure since my dad was never around. My mom and him were never married, but they were together since I was 4 years old (I am 22 now). A couple of weeks ago, my stepdad also passed away and I found out that he has left everything in his will to me.

    My stepdad also has a daughter who I never really knew too well - she lived with her mom and moved to a different state than us when I was about 9. My stepdad always claimed that his ex-wife was toxic and always fed her daughter information that made her hate my mom and stepdad - and around 4 years ago, she stopped talking to my stepdad completely.

    Now that he has passed away, she is suddenly back in my life and extremely upset that her name wasnt on the will. Her mom and her said that they are going to be contesting his will. I am worried that they may actually be successful because I was never adopted by my stepdad and my mom and my stepdad never married.

    I could care less about having his stuff, but our childhood home means so much to me because its where my moms ashes were spread. I am scared that I am going to lose the last extension of my parents if I lose the home, and I am unsure what to do. I intend on getting a lawyer if they actually go through with contesting the will - but for now I wanted to check this subreddit to see if I had any ground to stand on.

    Edit: This is happening in Florida.

    Edit 2: I also wanted to clarify that my step-fathers will has language in it that clarifies that I am his step-son, and that he is leaving everything to me despite having a legal daughter.

    submitted by /u/willthrowaway98
    [link] [comments]

    Can you sue to force an abortion?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    So simple title complicated issue.

    My sister 19F is pregnant, due in 2 months. The Father 32M was the typical asshole and it ended about as badly as can be. (Its a long story that would take forever to unpack.) Needless to say he was essentially no contacted. Despite hours of telling her to she never got a restraining order. The mother of the ex boyfriend is a piece of work as well.

    Heres the problem. My sister Wants the baby.

    Today we got a certified ish looking letter, probably written with a downloaded template essentially saying that if my sister does not allow the father back into the relationship they will go after her to force an abortion. If i cant have the baby no one will kind of thing.

    We have reported this as well as his previous abuse to the police though no charges have been filed because my sister unfortunately is super passive.

    Is there ANY possible way under FL law that this guy can force any type of rights or abortion? We already have a plan set up that every able bodied member of our family will be at the hospital to keep him away if he tries to show up. I just want to be absolutely sure it is okay to basically ignore this letter.

    submitted by /u/Callsigntalon
    [link] [comments]

    4 Days of Power Off for Tree Removal

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    There is a massive 100 year old banyan tree that new new neighbors (really they are investors/flippers) are removing. None of the neighbors are happy as the tree is a major character-maker and shade provider for the street, but apparently the cutting is a done deal and they will spend about $20,000 to remove it. As part of the removal process, I have gotten a note that they will shut off power to my house during the removal process for 4 days in the middle of summer, from 8am-6pm each day. I work from home and also have a dog, and the letter just states that the power will be shut off, which is a huge inconvenience and there's no way I can stay home when the house will inevitably reach into the 90s. And then extremely stress out my A/C unit when the power comes back on to get it to a livable temperature.

    Legally, am I entitled to any compensation? If so, from whom? The major players are the new home owners, the tree company, and the power company. I am not sure who to approach and what to say. The state is Florida.

    submitted by /u/AlexKaufmanDesign
    [link] [comments]

    My daughter(age 9) just informed me that her older half-brother(age 18) is playing with his penis in front of her.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 06:23 PM PDT

    Riverside county, California. Two and a half years ago, my ex-girlfriend and I broke up. She told me that her and the kids would move to her mom's in nearby San Diego, but instead, she took my daughter to Texas to live with her new ex-con boyfriend, completely lying to me. I have an open case for custody ongoing right now. We've had had a couple of hearings since with the only orders being that I get 3 phone calls a week with my daughter, preferably by video, but due to some tech issues, these are done mostly as a regular phone call that I do record to use for reference in keeping a journal of our conversations. Tonight, I called at our normal time window and chatted with my daughter about her weekend and asked how her brother was doing and she said fine. I then asked if he is doing anything to annoy her, and she told me that he was playing with his penis in front of her again. Now I already plan to file a complaint with Child Protective Services in Texas using an online submission, but what I need to know now is if there is anything I should file here in Riverside County, California that can help get my daughter out of this situation and quickly?

    submitted by /u/Jeebusmanwhore
    [link] [comments]

    Tree care professional cut down our tree without permission

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    My partner and I are currently in the process of refinancing, and we have an appraisal scheduled this week. Since beginning this process, we decided to get some things around the house and yard done to help increase the value of the house. We had a company come today to take care of several of our trees. They gave us a quote last month that detailed the work we wanted done.

    One of the trees that needed some work is a fruiting plum tree that desperately needed to be pruned. It also looked like it had some kind of fungus. The owner of the company said it was up to us whether we wanted to prune it and then treat it for fungus next spring, or if we wanted to remove it. We love our backyard tree cover, and we were excited to see one plum grow on the tree this year, so we decided to prune it for now and see how it does. This work was reflected in the estimate the tree company sent us.

    Well, apparently there was a miscommunication between the owner and one of his employees, who cut our tree down. We are struggling with our response to this. Neither one of us is vindictive, and we can be pretty conflict-avoidant, especially because they appear so apologetic.

    The owner offered to comp us the cost of working on this tree. My partner, who is the most conflict avoidant of us both, basically told him he needed to do more than that. The owner said he will keep his eye out for plum trees that are not super young and get us that for free. He mentioned that we should wait until the fall to plant the new tree so it has the best chance of survival.

    I have several questions. First, are we shooting ourselves in the foot if we agree to this? If we do agree to it, how should we go about documenting this so that we actually get a tree back there? Should we insist they plant it themselves? That they grind the stump down while they are at it? It is several inches high and kind of an eye sore. Also, how should we expect this to affect our appraisal? Should we assume our property is worth less with one less tree and less privacy in that corner of our yard?

    We are in Oregon is that makes any difference. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Tootsie27
    [link] [comments]

    Help! FAKE LANDLORD Trying to Lock Me Out

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    I live in Indiana.
    There is pending litigation going on concerning who is the owner of the property that I am renting. I am currently in a lease and paying rent to the current manager of the property who works for the current owner, however, someone who is disputing this and claims to be the owner of the property is trying to force myself and other tenants to sign agreements and pay rent to them. They have also tried to change the locks without notifying us. They have done all of this while in the middle of this litigation and nothing has been decided yet.

    What can I do as a tenant to protect myself and my apartment until the matter is settled in court? These people are also using forged documents to try and make it look official when it is not. Please help! I feel very unsafe and I am unable to move currently and I'm trying to get a job in the area. Any advice would be welcome!

    submitted by /u/Jayzinski
    [link] [comments]

    Boss is cutting off A/C when she leaves, leaving my mom in 85 degree heat. Refuses to let her have a fan. Is this legal?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 06:54 PM PDT

    Posting for my mother. We live in Washington state.

    She's a receptionist at a local family owned business, and works 10am to 5pm. Her boss leaves at 3pm and when she leaves, she turns off the A/C. They've always had issues with heating and cooling there because it is an old building, and it's pricey to keep the A/C on. So, despite having employees and customers still in the building for 2-3 more hours, the boss turns off A/C when she's all done.

    Even with A/C, it's around 80 degrees in there. My mom attempted to have a standing fan by her desk but her boss took it down, saying it was "tacky." Their compromise? A tiny, portable fan about the size of a bowling ball that doesn't work.

    Today it was 101 degrees, and 86 in the building when my mom left. She was nauseous due to the heat and felt fatigued and ill (we're assuming heat exhaustion).

    I feel like this is in a grey area of legality. Surely it can't be legal to have workers working in certain temperatures, right? She told me tonight that she's strongly considering not going to work tomorrow because the conditions are so unbearable.

    Advice? Tips?

    submitted by /u/cloudyeonies
    [link] [comments]

    A guy sued me in November over medical bills, he had no bills, should I counter sue?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:50 PM PDT

    So anyway I got in to an accident long way back, May 2019. Insurance did its thing I paid for them and all that, got a new car, pay a lot more in insurance, yada yada. The deal is in Nov of 2019 he sued me for 10k over his daughter having a lot of medical expenses. Here's the thing, Geico actually fronted one of their own lawyers for me, and the guy without the bills was asked by the judge to leave the court, but it was fraud.

    I mean I don't actually have expenses myself since Geico handled the lawsuit, but the insurance sure costs me more. Should I sue him for his fraudulance and jacking up my insruance? No idea. I don't want money, but i'd be nice to have something cover for the 1.4k I pay in insurance (up from 850).

    submitted by /u/ShinMegamiTenseiIII
    [link] [comments]

    [US-MO] My landlord withheld all of my security deposit for “untreatable odor.” This odor was a result of mold and mushrooms growing out of a wall that I notified him of months before the lease ended

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:16 AM PDT

    [US-MO] So back in March I stopped living in my apartment due to COVID and all my classes going remote. I came back maybe 3 weeks later to move some stuff out and I noticed my bathroom kind of smelled sour. I thought it was because I didn't clean the toilet before I left. So I cleaned it, and left.

    I came back in another 2 weeks to get some stuff and there were mushrooms growing out of my wall. The smell was not just in the bathroom but also the bedroom. I immediately called my landlord and he gave me a lecture about humidity in the apartment and that if I'm not living there or running the AC things can get wet. I told him I don't care, and to get rid of the mushrooms. He said he'd get maintenance to take care of it.

    I come back in a month to move the rest of my things out. The mushrooms were STILL there. There was visible black mold coming out of the wall. I did my best to clean the rest of the apartment, cut the mushroom stems and tried to bleach where the black mold was growing. I lit a candle while I was cleaning and upon leaving the apartment just smelled like chocolate and bleach.

    Yesterday I got a letter from him stating I would not get any of my $500 security deposit back because of "untreatable odor/damage" to the apartment. Is there anything I can do about this?

    submitted by /u/NotTagg
    [link] [comments]

    (New York) Not even divorced yet, can I get my daughter away from my wife who is letting a stranger sleep in the same bed with my 3 year old daughter?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    Back in April, my severely abusive wife left me after joining a satanic cult. She lived with me until a month ago, and she met a guy online through her cult and went to visit him 2 weeks ago, 3 states away. We agreed on a 50/50 custody split but everything is backed up from covid, and she has not signed the divorce papers yet. This guy has a long criminal history including a couple DUIs, some burglaries, malicious destruction of property. Clearly an alcohol problem. She met him two weeks ago, and invited him to live with her and he just flew in today. Now, this guy is going to be sharing a bed with my daughter now. I know this, because I brought it up to my wife about how dumb it is to introduce a guy she's seeing that she barely knows while my daughter is struggling really hard to deal with the split. She hasn't been able to sleep in her own bed saying "I don't want you to leave like mommy did" but she does the same thing at her place, saying she's afraid her mother will leave her. My soon to be ex wife mentioned that she has no problem with my daughter sharing a bed with them, and she barely knows the guy. Do I have a case to fight for sole custody? I really want to, and it will be expensive but my mother in law wants my daughter away from her too so is going to fund it if we have a decent chance.

    Sorry if my grammar sucks. My hands are shaking from rage thinking about this stranger who she barely knows sleeping in the same bed as my daughter who is my everything. My lawyer has been of little help lately. I just want my daughter to be safe and my heart sinks every time she has to be with her mother because she is such a different person in that cult, its truly scary.

    Edit- I should also mention that my daughter hyperventilates every time she has to go back with her mother, telling me she doesn't love her anymore because she left, and "does weird things with her new friends" but can't elaborate on what with her limited vocabulary

    submitted by /u/Doct0rAcula
    [link] [comments]

    Guarantor signed the lease, I didn't, they're going to charge me, I'm scared and alone.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:36 AM PDT

    Hello! I'm moving out of my current apartment complex and I'm finding out last October that my gaurantor signed the renewal lease. I told them in October that I'm not returning, but I stupidly didn't put it in writing. They didn't send me anything to get me to sign the lease ALL YEAR, not a single email saying "hey, your lease is in process but you need to sign it," and now they're saying I have to pay for next year or sublet it.

    I didn't sign the lease. My signature still isn't on the lease. Can I even sublet the lease if I didn't sign it? I refuse to sign it now, but they're still giving me trouble for it and I'm afraid they're going to try to charge me anyway.

    They have a wait list of people, but they won't lease it out to any of them, they say I have to do the relet process myself. They won't even give me the names of people on the wait list to contact. I keep trying to talk to them about it but they don't respond to my emails. I'm worried it's going to ruin my credit if they charge me in August but I don't pay it.

    I'm going down to the office today and sending another email saying this room is available and they should rent it out to whoever is on the wait list, but I'm wondering if I can still get charged rent and subsequently sued if I don't pay it. What do I say to them? The subleasing office won't respond to my emails.

    I don't have anyone to help me with this so I'm turning to this subreddit because I'm really scared and need help.

    Thank you for any advice!

    submitted by /u/kirbyluv_
    [link] [comments]

    Tow truck company stole our rental car

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    Location: Nyc

    This is a long and complicated story so i bolded the important parts .

    Me and my boyfriend's car was in the shop so we got a rental car for a week, as we both need a car to work and make money. We had no problems with the car and we were set to return it Friday morning. Thursday night we parked the car a few blocks from our house . Our neighborhood has basically no parking so we had to park near a fire hydrant about 6 feet away which is illegal but does not warrant a tow only a ticket from the city. It was extremely late and we were exhausted so we just said fuck it, we'll pay the ticket if it comes to that. We were not parked in a tow zone, in front of a driveway, none of that.

    The next morning the car was gone. I called the nearest precinct and they said the NYPD did not tow it but they have a citywide database so they found out who towed it - A private towing company, lets call them Terrible Towing Company (TTC). I called TTC and they told me I could not come get the car not even my personal belongings inside it , and that only the rental company could come get it as they owned the car not me. TTC also told me that the rental company had called it in to be towed, which did not make sense because I had just spoken to the rental company, letting them know I was on my way to return the car, and they said okay no problem.

    This is where it gets weird. I called the rental company and let them know what had happened. They said they did not call it in to be towed . I told them okay I will file a complaint at the precinct and try my best to get the car back on Monday (my actual car got out the shop on Monday and the tow company is very far away so I couldn't use regular public transportation).

    Fast forward to Monday: Me and my boyfriend go to the precinct. They tell us we can't file a regular criminal complaint because it's technically not larceny. We have to file a complaint with the DCA or BBB and bring it to small claims court. Mind you the cop also says "This happens a lot in this neighborhood...Hating neighbors call the cops on each other all the time for petty things" ... (Me and my bf just moved over here).

    Then we drove to the tow yard. Nobody was there and gates are closed so can't see inside. I called the tow company, and the guy tells me "The bank took the car to Long Island. It got repossessed. You can't get it or get your things from inside, only the rental company can do that." I try to press him and tell him that he lied to me, the rental company did not call the car to be towed, and it did not get repossessed. He tells me talk to the rental company, not his problem. I say where did the bank take the car. He says talk to the rental company. Etc...

    So. I call the rental company. They tell me the tow company is lying, it's impossible that the car got repossessed, etc., and furthermore the rental company would know if the bank took it and nobody notified them.

    HERE'S THE THING. The rental company charges per day. I am racking up $500 and counting in extra rental fees that I am not financially prepared for, not to mention possible tow fees that they might try to hit me with. How can I resolve this legally? Is there a way I can sue the tow truck company in small claims court and have them pay the cost of my rental fees? Can I even put a larger lawsuit together from other people who have been victim to their illegal towing?

    Also note: The reviews of the towing company is hilarious. All one star, saying "I had to call the police to get my car back" and "They are crooks, they hold people's car for ransom" etc. They have been doing this for years.

    PLEASE HELP!!! Sorry for length of post.

    TL;DR: Tow truck company illegally towed my rental car off the street and is now claiming the bank repossessed it, even though the rental company says this is not true. Tow company is refusing to tell me where the car is.

    submitted by /u/notaroja00
    [link] [comments]

    Vet Malpractice advice

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 03:53 PM PDT

    I am on vacation and heartbroken. I brought my 6 year old long hair to a veterinarian office that boards animals. He is diabetic so I had to take him here while my other 2 cats remained at home. He was there for 2 days and they called me to tell me that he passed.

    I have the phone conversations recorded. They claim that they gave him his shots Sat night, Sunday Morning/Night, and then today when they came in he was lethargic and they knew something was wrong. They checked his glucose level and it was 23. They claim they gave him IV and then shortly after he had a 5 second seizure, but then pepped up, and died shortly after.

    I asked "what was his glucose levels the last 2 days?". They responded with "we never took his glucose levels". I asked "how much was he eating before this happened". They responded with "they were feeding him dry so they weren't sure how much he was eating". They overdosed my cat on insulin and had no idea whether he needed it. I can't imagine a situation where a vet could knowingly give a cat insulin without knowing whether he was eating or what his levels were. He was young, healthy, and fine before this. You bring a cat to board at a vet because you expect them to treat their health professionally. I got no calls, no warnings. If they called me yesterday and said "he hasn't been eating- his glucose levels are low so we don't feel comfortable dosing him", I would have left vacation and came home for him. I would have had a relative pick him up and bring him home. I know how glucose levels float around with diabetic cats. I see his levels spike every time I bring him for a checkup or shots. I have never seen his levels go below 150. He always floated around 175-200 and sometimes at the vet that number would jump to 250 or more.

    I really can't fathom how this could have happened. Am I wrong or is this blatant malpractice? Anyone have any advice? I feel so guilty that I trusted this institution with my animal. If I never left he would still be alive. His main vet would never administer insulin without knowing his glucose levels. He also always advised that if I didn't see him to eat then I shouldn't administer insulin because his levels could drop. They a.) didn't monitor his eating b.) check his glucose levels till it was too late. These are the 2 biggest NO-NOs when it comes to a diabetic animal.

    I should also add that I live in New York and the reason we brought him here is because they call themselves a " Veterinary Hospital Pet Resort and Spa" and that my cat would have an entire 4'x10' room to himself where he would be cared for by vets.

    Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/Famous914
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord doesn't care his handyman threatened to kill me.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    I'll try to keep this is a simple as possible.

    My girlfriend and I are currently tenants at a house with 4 separate units. The landlord lives in 1 of these units. The landlord has a friend who comes over and helps with basically anything and everything that needs to be repaired. This friend is around a lot and has a bad reputation, but again, helps my landlord out with basically everything having to do with the house.

    About a month ago this friend was over mowing the lawn and after finishing mowing the lawn, he came to me and spoke with me saying that I should be the one doing it. He got in my face and when I told him to back off, he threatened to kill me. His exact words were "I will grab you by your fucking neck and slit your throat and not think anything of it." I pushed him away from me, ran into my apartment and locked the door. He attempted to get me to come back out.

    The police were called and arrived to the house, we gave our statements to them. While giving our statements the friend continued to shout at us calling us all sorts of names and what not, right in front of the cops. They got his side of the story, told him to leave and then told us he wouldn't be coming back, but if he did, to call them. After leaving he called the landlord's wife and once again threatened me. I informed the police of this and they didn't do anything except tell me to call them if anything else happens.

    My landlord continues to have this friend come back to the house despite us being uncomfortable with him around and us asking our landlord to find a new handyman. My girlfriend and I are looking into getting a restraining order against this friend. I told my landlord this and he responded with "You're not gonna do it while you live here, I own this house."

    Is there anything I can do legally to prevent my landlord from retaliation if I go through with the restraining order? Are there any other legal steps I can take to avoid this person from potentially harming me or my girlfriend?

    NOTE: It's nearly impossible to find anywhere else to live during these times and both my girlfriend and I are struggling financially. So moving out is off the table.

    Edit: Completely forgot about including the location. We're in RI TL;DR- Handyman threatened to kill me, landlord doesn't care. How to avoid retaliation?

    submitted by /u/Nova_On_Reddit
    [link] [comments]

    North Slope Workers laid off en masse with only 12 hours notice. Does WARN act apply?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    Hello, I worked for a contractor in Northern Alaska on the oil field. Recently the oil field was purchased from BP by Hillcorp. On day one of the new contract ownership my company was forced to lay off 40% of its work force (over 100 employees). They only gave us 12 hours notice to pack up our stuff, finish the last shift and prepare for a flight out the following day. Is this legal? Would the WARN act apply? There was literally a line out the bosses door on the last day of the contract with him laying someone off in person every 5 minutes. These are people who have been working and living onsite for the past 10 years.

    Also, we were all supposed to get an equal performance based bonus for contract completion. Should I still be entitled to that?

    Lastly, since they only gave us 12 hours notice I was forced to spend $500 to change my connecting flights from Anchorage to the lower 48. They also did not arrange our flights to Anchorage until 2 hours before the flight. Because of this I purchased my own flight to Anchorage for $500. So, the short notice cost my about $1k in flights.

    submitted by /u/Yoseclimber
    [link] [comments]

    Land must be sold because an heir that is a minor can't claim their percentage.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    My grandmother passed without having a will in place. My sister, who is 16, is included in the estate along with my mother and aunt. Basically I have been told from my aunt that my sister can't claim her share because she is a minor, and therefore the land must be sold. She has been pushing to sell this place since before her mother passed and is the only one interested in doing so. So I guess my question is what other options we have, because I feel like this can be handled differently. This stuff is way out of my league so any input is seriously appreciated. This in North Carolina btw.

    submitted by /u/G2thaFields
    [link] [comments]

    (FL) Family member fraudulently using Samaritan's Purse charity services to have a new home built for them

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:35 AM PDT

    A family member (by marriage) has obtained hurricane relief assistance from Shepherd's Purse charities by way of having them build a brand new home as a replacement to one that was destroyed by Hurricane Michael.

    The original home and property were vacated by this individual nearly 20 years ago. He allowed it to lapse into severe disrepair while acting as a slumlord for a time. At one point vagrants moved into the house and lived as squatters there. For the past 10 years or so, another lowlife had been living in the house rent free in exchange for repair and upkeep that never took place. By this time, the exterior was falling apart, and a large picture window in the front was broken out and remained completely open to the elements with no effort made to even board it up. The roof was allowed to leak and the yard was overgrown.

    Hurricane Michael caused several trees to fall on the roof, the city condemned the house and it was bulldozed. It came as quite a shock to see a new foundation being laid out on the now empty lot and a sign out front designating site as a Samaritan's Purse hurricane relief project.

    This person is now set to be handed a brand new house for free under the pretense that they've resided there all along and that their sole residence was destroyed by hurricane. There are plenty of residents in genuine need of services like Samaritan's Purse and other charities offer, but the person in question already has a perfectly good home in a nearby town, where they have lived since abandoning the house that is set to be replaced.

    Searches for Samaritan's Purse application requirements, rules, or even guidelines have been unsuccessful. While I don't necessarily agree with this particular charity's stance on religious grounds, I also hate see them scammed out of the massive amount of money, time and effort to construct a new home for someone who doesn't need their assistance due to the fact that they already have a home and haven't lived on the property or in the house that was destroyed for the past twenty years!

    I feel I should contact the charity and let them know what's going on, but also wondering could this also be deemed as criminal fraud by this unscrupulous individual?

    submitted by /u/Hieronymus5280
    [link] [comments]

    Parents’ Neighbors Leave Dogs Tethered in Sun, Children Abuse Them

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    This takes place in New York State.

    My parents' neighbors are a family with two young kids, a mother, and an adult child. The neighbors recently (about a week ago) started having dogs in their yard. My parents aren't sure if they own the dogs themselves, as my parents believe they've seen the dogs with other owners around the neighborhood previously however all they know for sure is that the dogs have been under their care for about a week.

    The dogs are commonly left tethered to a chain link fence in the hot sun. The leash to which they are tethered allows for absolutely no walking room. They have a diameter of about a foot from the fence to walk. This is usually the case for several hours. In the beginning they would be there the majority of the day (8am-4pm) and then periodically afterwards until nightfall. The dogs would whine and bark the entire 8(ish) hours and every period of time afterwards when they would get tied up. This was the case for the first several days. Recently the dogs have not been tethered until later on in the day (evening), yet this period of time is still several hours, and the whining and barking is still constant.

    There is little shade for the two dogs. The one area they keep one of the dogs tethered to has absolutely zero shade, and their backyard is mostly blacktop asphalt (with some invasive foliage and grass). The other dog is kept next to a small tree alongside the chain link fence that offers about 1/2 feet of shade and grass, with the other foot being sunny blacktop. In short, one dog is entirely exposed to sun and the other dog hardly has any shade. Sometimes but rarely there is water left out for them.

    On top of this, the neighbors' young children act recklessly with the dogs. One little girl was choking one of the dogs by their bandana while laying on its back, and threw a large tree branch at it. The other was swinging a baseball bat close to its face, hitting the fence it is tethered to while periodically lightly hitting the dog. The oldest adult son disciplines the dog when it gets aggressive with the kids by hitting it (slapping and punching).

    My parents have multiple security cameras set up that capture the dogs when they're tethered (the yards are separated by nothing more than chain link fence and a shed). They also have cellphone cameras. Both have captured the dogs being chained up and one instance of slapping the dog however much of what else that has happened is not documented by video, only by what my parents have seen.

    What are the options available to assist these dogs and prevent further whining and barking from tormenting my parents? Both non-emergency city hotlines and animal control have been called multiple times, and while action has been promised nobody has come to inspect. Videos have been saved and documented through multiple days. Should they call the police if an abuse case happens?

    submitted by /u/UBredditBro
    [link] [comments]

    Coworker physically assaulted me at work and HR has done nothing about for a month. [MA]

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 05:20 AM PDT

    I'm not sure what I should do about the situation, or if this sub is the right one to post on, but let's see. I could use some direction. I've revised the story a bit and withheld names and other identifying info.

    The incident occurred at the beginning of June. After having a conversation with my boss in the late afternoon after the incident, we both decided that the assault should be reported to HR, and so I filed the complaint the next morning.

    The assault took place in an office shared by 8 employees. Keep in mind, I am the only woman in a department of 200 men, and I only add this because he would have never touched any other employee. Generally, I have not had a problem with any man at our worksite and I don't ever feel unwelcome. I am happy at work, and make it a point to make the most of every day - I value my coworkers and treat everyone as I would like to be treated. So imagine my shock when this employee sicks a blow to the back of my head.

    The employee is "untouchable", as in, he's the best man we have on the floor (almost a supervisor) and he's gotten away with many things in the past. He looks down upon others but will chat you up like you're important to him. He likes to sound smarter than he really is. He mingles with upper management so he is well liked and well-received by them. He is my superior. This is important to note.

    Unprovoked and out of the blue, he comes into the office and, seeing that I was reading a book on my lunch break, smacks me in the back of the head, causing my glasses to fall from my face and onto my desk. It was a hard blow to the head, and throbbed some time later. Absolutely irate, I turned to face the offending employee with tears in my eyes as four of my office coworkers erupted in laughter at my expense. I didn't think what the employee had done was funny in the slightest. I couldn't believe he had done such a stupid thing, someone with his level of seniority and intelligence.

    I was shocked and angry. Through tears, I made it clear that I didn't find the situation funny. The employee that hit me laughed at my response, as if the ordeal had been in good fun, and said "it was just a joke". Keep in mind, we are all approaching our thirties and he is in his forties... really? He offered a pitiful apology and left the office while I sat there, astonished. I faced the laughing coworkers and said, "I am glad that you all found that funny," to which they ignored me and went right back to working.

    After the incident, I was very visibly troubled and upset. I feel completely disrespected and unhappy, so much so that I was unable to sleep at night and have cried in the arms of my significant other. I have had to visit a therapist to process what has happened as I have an anxiety disorder and this has thrown me into a state of perpetual panic. I think, above all else, I'm taken aback by the lack of sympathy - upon seeing how upset I was, the employee did not take my concern seriously. I was hit, and hard - with enough force to smack the glasses off of my face.

    Please bear in mind that this is not the first time this employee has hurt me "in good fun". We've had issues in the past with him flicking the back of my head as I'm working at my desk or clapping extremely loud near my ears to startle me, as a joke I presume. These "jokes" eventually stopped when I asked him to back off. Because he stopped, I didn't report the incidents to HR and figured we could just move past them like adults. He's also, as I've mentioned, really well liked by the managers, so I didn't want to be "that employee" that makes HR complaints.

    After an initial call with an HR rep from corporate, I haven't heard a word in many weeks. Nothing. They said they were going to investigate and asked me what the outcome should be, and I said I wanted the employee terminated. Each meeting the HR rep schedules with me, she cancels and plans again for a later date. She's done this 5 times now... citing that she is busy and can't speak to me sooner.

    I sent an email to the HR manager saying that I wanted to reach out and discuss my concerns involving the incident and that I am concerned about HR's lack of communication with me regarding such a sensitive matter. I said that I have messages that haven't been responded to and I am deeply unsatisfied. I mentioned that I had to leave the workplace due to a panic attack on (date) and spent the remaining day in a state of paralyzing anxiety. As politely as I could, I explained that employees of the past have been terminated over lesser infractions, so I do not think it's wrong that I feel unhappy about my company's inaction. Towards the end of the email, I said that I only want to feel safe at work, and I believe - given the severity of the situation - that the employee should be terminated for violating workplace policies and harming me. Of course, I said everything as professionally as I could whilst holding back emotion.

    But alas, I've heard nothing back in days now.

    What can I do to close this situation, if anything? I'd like to speed up the process but at this point, I wish I had filed a police report. Maybe then they would take this seriously. I worry they will find a reason to release me from employment because I filed a report against the company's "Golden boy", and I'm feeling a bit defeated. They may fire me "for performance" or something of the sort... a gut feeling.

    Thank you guys.

    submitted by /u/Faithless0865
    [link] [comments]

    If a woman threatens to shoot me, and her husband brings a gun to confront me (even though he never took it out of his waist or pointed it at me), should I report that to police?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    Basically the title.

    Yesterday, during a game of basketball, I exchanged some words with a woman. (Sorry, I didn't social distance.)

    She claimed that I (accidentally) hit her on the face during a game and wanted an apology. I told her that she's the one who ran into me. Not receiving an apology, she got upset and said she would "clock [me] in the parking lot and shoot [me]", so I called her a "fat ass" in response. I guess she got even more insulted by that, so she called her husband to come over. Then, after a while, her husband showed up (apparently with a gun on the waist) and demanded that I apologize to the wife.

    He never pulled the gun out of his waist so I don't know what it was he had on his waist, but I felt my life could very well have been in danger. Is this something I need to report to the police?

    This is Nevada, USA.

    submitted by /u/morningshower
    [link] [comments]

    Unemployment Question California - My Boss Told Me She Lied to Unemployment, So I Am Obligated To Go Back In

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    I called my boss today to follow up with her about coming back to work at the end of this week, as she's been reopening.

    I told her there was a good possibility that I can't come back to work because my papa, who is older and I live with, is more than likely going to have surgery and need my help around the house. I told her I can't risk his or my health and with cases in the rise it's not a good time.

    My boss told me that she lied to unemployment and that she has still been paying my health insurance. She said that in order for me to continue to keep getting unemployment and keep my health insurance, I have to come back for two weeks minimum, and that was nonnegotiable.

    Mind you, I didn't even know I still had the insurance, when she told me to file for unemployment I thought she cancelled my health insurance.

    I'm nervous to ask her for more details about the lie.

    • Does anyone have any advice on what to do?• What could she have lied about?•If she lied to PPP, will I get in trouble for supporting her lie?• If she told unemployment that I already returned and am getting paid so that she could satisfy PPP, even though I haven't and did not get paid, would I get in trouble with unemployment for not reporting wages earned?

    TL;DR

    I'm taking care of my papa who is immunocompromised, but my employer is threatening to take away my health insurance if I don't go back to work.

    She has also told me that she lied to EDD, and so I am required to return. I don't want to endanger his health.

    • What are my options here?
    • What could my boss have told EDD?
    •If she lied to PPP, will I get in trouble for supporting her lie?
    • If she told unemployment that I already returned and am getting paid so that she could satisfy PPP, even though I have not worked and did not get paid, would I get in trouble with unemployment for not reporting wages earned? Since unemployment thinks I worked?

    submitted by /u/St0000l
    [link] [comments]

    My wife got sued prior to our wedding

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:10 PM PDT

    My wife was sued because of a car accident prior to our wedding. She hit his motorcycle at 5kph and he's suing her for millions in damages, because he says he's disabled for life and can't work.

    So my question for legal advice is, can the guy take my stuff if he wins? We have not joined our finances yet, but we did buy a house together, for which I supplied most of the down payment.

    Location: British Columbia, Canada

    submitted by /u/rb7317
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-Signed Checks

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    I am an officer for a non-profit and they keep getting upset with me because I do not like to pre-sign checks. Our checks require two signatures and they like to have a couple of blank, fully signed checks 'just in case'. They "have always done it this way." And swear they are not going to do anything bad. My compromise has been to write 'ps' under my signature 'just in case' I need to say "IDK who authorized that, it was a pre-signed check." How crazy am I?

    submitted by /u/musashi39
    [link] [comments]

    Very abusive family member moved in without permission and wont leave the house. CA, USA

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:52 PM PDT

    California, USA. I have other family members on reddit so I'm keeping some details vague. Let me know if you need more info.

    A family member came to our front door a few months ago and invited himself in. He needed a place to stay for a few nights while he found some other place to stay, he is family so I'm sure you all understand why we didn't just call the police for trespassing. Later on we find out that by letting him in, he now can stay and live there without paying for anything.

    Early on he started being verbally abusive, starting and escalating arguments that led to shouting, invading our private lives (he told us he watched my wife and I have sex one night!), falsely accusing us of hacking his phone and computer, monitoring his internet, stealing his belongings, damaging his belongings, accused us of being alcoholics, and being abusive/harassment towards him. He is a terrible person who I fear will lie to law enforcement/court to have his way or worse, starting a heated argument and getting a reaction out of us that he can then use against us. He knows how to get under your skin. The arguments he starts and escalates have been really close to getting physical a few times and when he knows someone is close to the tipping point he puts on a smug smile and gets inches away from our face like a high school bully.

    He routinely tells us that he belongs here, we cannot evict him, and that he will never leave. Our lives have become a hell. We have no privacy in our own home as he is always walking around the house getting into our business. We can't even have sex or work from home without hearing him walk around with heavy feet.

    Not sure if this helps, but he has filed a lawsuit against the US govt for spying on him and damaging his property (filed a few years ago). Also the local law enforcement of where he used to live know him pretty well as the guy who calls with crazy stories and false accusations against the FBI. Every time something bad happens to him, its because of some secret government agency. He accused "a government agent" of sabotaging his car causing it to break down. I have records of some of this stuff.

    I have filed for an eviction over a month ago but as far as I'm aware, most evictions are all put on hold because of COVID-19. What other legal paths can I take to get him out of our lives?

    submitted by /u/taway8711
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment