• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 19, 2020

    Legal Advice - Landlord let someone move into my room without my knowledge and made us both pay him rent

    Legal Advice - Landlord let someone move into my room without my knowledge and made us both pay him rent


    Landlord let someone move into my room without my knowledge and made us both pay him rent

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:19 AM PDT

    This occurred in the state of Texas. My roommate and I signed a lease on a 2 room duplex which ends on the 31st of July 2020. I had to move out earlier (in May) but continued to pay my rent as per my lease. My roommate did not stay in the duplex (she moved back to stay with family during corona) but all of her things were still in the duplex and she continued to pay her rent as well.

    My roommate came to move out her things this month before our lease ended and she found that our landlord had let other people move into the duplex, with all her furniture and possessions still in the duplex. Those people were also paying rent, meaning my landlord was making double rent. We were not informed that people were moving into the duplex, our lease still hasn't ended and we were still paying rent. All I wanted was my rent back for the month of July as someone else has been living in the house I've been paying for but my landlord is not cooperating and is avoiding my calls and texts. I am no longer in Texas so I can't go see him in person. What can I do? Is there any legal action I can take against him?

    submitted by /u/porvort
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor is convinced I control owls (AZ)

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 12:11 AM PDT

    I live in a rural area that has coyotes, wildcats, owls, hawks, snakes, and even bears.

    My new neighbor has five very small dogs. She likes to let them roam on their own in her yard. When she first moved in she heavily insinuated that the family of barn owls that live in the tree in my yard were my personal property. She also insinuated that I have some sort of power over them.

    Two weeks after she moved in, was the owl incident. A juvenile barn owl smashed himself into my house, dazed and concussed he ended up in the neighbor's yard. I warned her about the owl, told her that he looked like he was starving, and to keep her dogs inside. Typically barn owls do not eat anything bigger than a rat. But she let her tiny dog's charge it and bite at it. Animal control couldn't come out, so I found a wildlife rehabilitation facility and caught the owl with the help of my husband. The poor thing was malnourished and had been wounded for a while, he had a damaged wing.

    Tonight she asked us to come outside at 9pm to talk to her about the hawks in the neighborhood. Even after being told multiple times that the birds in our tree are barn owls, she kept calling them hawks. Asking if we could put a fake owl in our tree to scare them off. My husband and I have indoor cats, and we feed song birds to entertain said cats. She asked why we were feeding the hawks. I reiterated to her again, that they were barn owls who do not eat anything bigger than small rats.

    I have seen a few hawks around our neighborhood, but again it is a very rural area. Her yard is filthy and overgrown. My husband and I think that's what is attracting mice and rats, and then attracting raptors who want to eat said rodents.

    I suspect that she is trying to establish precedent in case one of the many, many wild animals in our neighborhood eats one of her tiny dogs. On Monday I'm calling animal control, Fish and Wildlife, and our HOA to see what we can do to protect ourselves. We are also going to take a break from feeding the song birds in case they are attracting hawks. I plan on taking pictures of her overgrown and filthy yard. Is there anything else I should be doing to protect my husband and I?

    submitted by /u/KittyHateMachine
    [link] [comments]

    My brother is being scammed in Texas, his wife has been pregnant for a year and 3 months

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    I am new to reddit but I heard that this is a place that I can get some good advice. I am 40+ year old male and my older brother is the issue that I am dealing with. Sorry this is so long.

    This started with him not contacting the family much. We were not in a fight but he simply did not want to have anything to do with us. That is until he started dating what is now his third wife. They had only dated for a month when she said that she was pregnant. She was supposed to be on an IUD, but she got pregnant anyways. He was excited to finally have a child of his own and shared it with the family. My mother was very excited and started talking with him daily. He got a civil union with her and we thought that this was actually going to be a good thing.

    The crazy stuff started not long after this. I do not remember everything exactly in order but she told all of us that she had developed a complication with the pregnancy and then that her mother had died. Shortly after her father and brother died and she was going to get a large inheritance. I was beginning to think this all sounded too much like a soap opera and asked him if this was all real. He said he saw a bank statement with the money in it and that it was all real. I believed him. What followed was months of excuse after excuse for why they did not have the money and she was claiming that she was now most likely to die in childbirth. I had decided to believe him as she was having problems with high white blood cell counts and people were running blood drives for her. Plus I lived almost 2000 miles away. She was talking to me and the family a lot and was buying gifts for people, as she was claiming she was dying.

    I finally got the proof I needed that this was all a lie when she sent the family a photo from a 3D ultrasound of what she said was the baby. A family friend found out that the picture was down loaded from a OBGYN ad. We confronted them with this info and they claimed that the OBGYN office had stolen her pictures. Even after I pointed out that the original picture had a time and place stamp from over 10 years ago and in NY. I have no idea why she is lying about everything but my brother still believes everything she says. He even took FMLA because he believed she is going to die. They have also borrowed lots of money from the family.

    He got fired from his job when it turned out that the FLMA paperwork was signed by her pretending to be the Dr. She also never lets him go into the Dr. appointments. He claims that he talks with the Dr. but I have heard that this is all through texts.

    I do not believe she is even pregnant. She is not very big and is claiming to be in her 66th week of pregnancy. Yes, she is claiming that she has been pregnant for a year and three months now. When I told him this was not possible he disowned me. She started making up lies about me and he threated to sue me for the gifts she sent to me. I am not worried about a law suit because a lawyer would take one look at this and laugh

    My questions;

    1) is there a way to make her prove she is pregnant or not?

    2) Was it illegal for her to impersonate a doctor by signing the doctors name to the FMLA paperwork? Also, could he get in trouble for turning in the paperwork even though he did not know it was fake.

    3) Is what she is doing illegal or is this a civil matter? I and others have reported her to the local police but they have not done anything?

    submitted by /u/travel-time831
    [link] [comments]

    (Washington State) What can I do to prevent my neighbor from continuing to park his box trailer on my property?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 08:37 PM PDT

    I am at my wits end. We moved into our house last summer. It was a very hectic move with a baby on the way so we didn't immediately notice that the neighbor was parking his box trailer 4 or so feet onto our property line.

    We noticed his children were frequently in our driveway (not shared, does not have a sidewalk, no easements) and were riding their scooters and physically hitting our garage as some sort of bumper. I asked them to stop and they eventually did (after about a dozen more reminders). Then we started noticing that the neighbor parks his box trailer across the property line (very evident he's doing so as there is a straight line with a difference in rock color) and as a result, is ruining our gravel. In addition, he pulls his three large garbage cans in and out through our gravel since he's blocked his gate with his trailer. We intend to landscape this area and I don't want to deal with him ruining what we put in.

    Thus far, I have:

    -left a note with my contact information for him (which he denied receiving although it took about 10 minutes for it to no longer be taped to their front door) asking him to contact me to discuss the property line - placed large/heavy rocks along the property line within the entirety of my side only to have him move them to a pile in the front of the area

    -and finally, I've told him not to park on my property, allow his children to play in my driveway, or move his garbage cans through the gravel. I did so in person when he came over to confront me about "making it impossible to park." His response was that I am a rude neighbor and that because he's been parking his trailer in that spot for roughly 3 years, he can continue to do so. I told him under no circumstances is he to use my property and has no permission to do so.

    This evening I went out to see that he has moved the gravel to make it look like he's parked on his side but he's still over the property line by several feet. He also moves the large rocks and then puts them back thinking I wouldn't notice.

    It may seem petty but I am so flabbergasted by his entitlement and attitude that I owe him my owned property to use free of charge and without permission. This isn't entirely relevant, but I'm a grown adult and the way in which he spoke to me was that of a grown man chastising a child.

    We intend to put in large hedges but our landscaper has recommended we wait until spring.

    We do have an HOA we pay for, but they don't enforce anything or respond to calls or emails and don't have a dedicated office to visit.

    I don't particularly want to go nuclear on him for fear of retribution but I'm not sure how else to get it across to him that I'm serious.

    What am I legally allowed to do to prevent him from continuing this?

    submitted by /u/CaptJackIsAFartFace
    [link] [comments]

    [OH] Mother purchased a house, no easements were presented during the closing except the usual Utilities. Three years later neighbor provides legal documentation for a DRIVEWAY EASEMENT signed by both lot's previous owners.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    First off, if it's not clear. We do not agree with the "easement" and the neighbor is nasty and we want nothing to do with him.

    So as stated in the title, mother was not told about any easements outside of utilities during signing/closing. Neighbors were getting annoyed that we park in the driveway, our driveway, and eventually provided a court document signed by both previous owners and notarized.

    The house is the type of place where you get 99 year leases for like $1. And the community actually owns the land, but she own the house. We checked and the community housing authorities have no easements on record.

    The access of the easement is pretty straightforward, "joint driveway," but there is no termination date. It states: "This easement shall be binding upon heirs, executors, administrators, agents or assigns of the parties hereto and shall run with the land."

    So both current owners have no relation to the previous owners. So how would she fit into one of those mentioned, heir/exec/admin/etc.

    Note: The parties on the document have no relationship to the community housing authorities. and that authority is not representated on the document.

    Would this be binding?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Vikko
    [link] [comments]

    (GA) ex best friend is threatening to sue me over glass piece that she left at my house and it broke

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    (Georgia) I have a ex best friend who is threatening to sue me over 2 glass water pipes that she voluntarily left at my house. I've never encouraged her to leave these possessions at my house, but told her she could because she was living on University property and couldn't legally have them in her dorm room. I told her immediately when the pieces accidentally broke, and asked her on multiple occasions to let me replace them to which she always responded "don't worry about it girl, I know it was an accident". She is now harassing me demanding for cash 6 months after the incident occurred, and 3 months after ending our friendship and hearing nothing about it until now. Now I don't have money to pay her back, because I'm currently suffering from covid and haven't been able to work in 4 weeks. Also not on any government assistance, and straight up told her I don't have the money now. She is threatening to sue me, does she have a case? Please don't comment anything illegal or inappropriate. My last post was removed.

    submitted by /u/rmarie_1
    [link] [comments]

    [NC] Car customization shop messed up my car’s paint. They discounted my service by 10% and referred me to a body shop for repairs. What should I do?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    I took my car to get wrapped and we initially discussed leaving the trunk lid alone. The business is a one man show. I left my car there and a few hours later I came back for it, that's when he informed me that, "I know we initially decided to leave the trunk alone but I had just enough material to cover it and I thought it would look great so I figured why not?"

    Apparently when he went to wrap it, it didn't stick and peeled my paint right off. Now my trunk lid's paint is flaking off and peeling to reveal bare metal.

    The man said he didn't know that part of my vehicle wasn't factory paint and apparently it had been repainted poorly so that caused it to peel off upon trying to wrap the vinyl over it or something. I didn't know that part of the vehicle had previous work done on it, I bought the car used a few years ago and figured all of the paint was factory. He said had he known it wasn't factory paint he would have never tried it.

    I am going to get estimates from a couple body shops tomorrow, but I also wanted to get some thoughts from here. I'm no expert but if I had to guess I would say the damage is under $600... I won't know for sure until I get an estimate from a shop though.

    Excuse the formatting... I am on mobile. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MyFuckedUpPaint
    [link] [comments]

    Legal advice regarding lottery tickets.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 11:03 AM PDT

    My significant other works at a store in Pennsylvania that sells lottery tickets. Once the customer picks their numbers and tickets have been printed, there is no way for them to be returned or exchanged. In the event that the customer decides they don't want the ticket after it's already been printed and paid for, the store requires the cashier who sold the ticket pay for the ticket. Is this legal? Something about this just doesn't seem right. As of now my significant other has shelled out a great deal of money because of a handful of customers who regularly come in and pull stuff like this. Any advice, Reddit?

    submitted by /u/Gat10279
    [link] [comments]

    can my landlord withhold my security deposit if I don’t help him find new tenants? DC

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    Location: Washington DC

    I live in a shared house with two other people and our lease ends July 31. We're all moving out and gave our landlord 30 days notice, but he's been emailing us for the last few days that we need to help him by sending pictures and videos of the property so he can send it to prospective tenants. He doesn't have a key to the property for some reason so he can't go to the property and do it himself, and all the roommates including me have been out of town for various reason.

    He's gotten very irate and keeps claiming we have to help him since the lease says we must cooperate with the landlord, and is now threatening to keep the security deposit to cover the month of rent he'll lose if we don't help him find new tenants. My plan is to take him to small claims court, but would he have any grounds to keep the deposit? The house is in reasonable condition otherwise.

    submitted by /u/seanwolfhere
    [link] [comments]

    Are my in laws lying about inheritance money [MA]

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 08:50 PM PDT

    My husband's grandparents passed both last year. They were quite wealthy and had three children (my MIL being one daughter) and only two grandchildren (my husband and his cousin) ... After they passed I always thought it was pretty odd that they didn't leave a dime to my husband but it is what it is.

    Well today my MIL informed us that they 'left him money in a stock' in the amount of $28,000. She states that we have to go to the bank to get the money out and it must be taken out before Aug 31.

    It's been almost a year since his grandmother passed. I just think it's a little bizarre that she waited to tell us about this money. I think the amount is strange, and I personally believe he was left way more money and they're just withholding information about the estate now.

    Why 28k? Why does it have to come out by aug 31?

    Can anyone sort out what this could mean.

    submitted by /u/Beautiful_Advance_75
    [link] [comments]

    What are the laws around renting a disabled/handicap apartment to a non-disabled individual?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    I am a renter in the state of Utah, United States. I feel like I am in a bait and switch situation. I was looking for a place to rent, toured a property and filled out an application. Upon passing all necessary qualifications the property management company sent over a lease for me to sign. They made it seem like the unit I would be renting was the same as the unit I toured (which was not a handicap unit). I signed the lease and received the keys and when I went to the unit it was a disabled housing unit. Keep in mind, this unit is a studio (240 square feet)..half of it is now taken up by the handicap accessible bathroom. When I contacted the agency to tell them of the mix up they disregarded me and told me I signed a lease. They told me to take it up in the renters portal. So I did. I received a generic message stating: In order to switch units I would forfeit the rent all ready paid and they would have to do a screening of the property to determine if I would receive security deposit back. (I have not moved a single thing in yet). I don't know the laws around this but I do not want this unit and I need any advice that can help me switch to a regular unit. I don't want to take this unit from somebody that might need it and I am looking for the laws in Utah around renting a handicap unit to an abled person.

    submitted by /u/SherlokHolmez
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have any responsibility at all for wrong address packages?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 08:05 PM PDT

    I live in Southern California. My neighbor two houses down has a very similar address to mine. Somehow, all the packages (from me and some time from her) end up at my front door. Most of these packages are from Amazon. In the beginning, I either took the package that belonged to her inside or brought it over to her place and left it at her front door. The reason I took it inside sometimes because I work late and was tired so I would wait until the next morning to bring it over. For over a year I'd no idea who my neighbors were as we never met or seen or talked to each other. I worked long hours and weekends so my availability to socialize is scarce.

    Everything was fine until one morning I was ready for work there was a knock on the door. I opened and set my eyes upon an older woman with a face of Baby Jane fuming up at me. It was a face that was caked with makeup and underwent so many botched surgeries that it would scare little children to soil themselves silly. I was so stunned i couldn't take my eyes off of her. This seemed to make her even more angry. She asked me whether or not I had her packages and shoved her phone in my face. It had a picture of my front door with that said package that Amazon delivery guy took. I hadn't encountered any packages when I came home the night before. Someone else must have taken it. So I told her I didn't have it and that I had to get going as I was getting late. She put a foot at the door to keep me from closing and stepped inside, throwing her glances around my living room. This enraged me and I, again, asked her to leave and advised her to take it up with Amazon. She didn't like that and threatened me with legal actions. I shrugged, told her I didn't really care what she would do and closed the door, pushing her gently out (I'm annoyed but still, I'm not an animal). End of the story.

    Or so I thought. In the next few months, more packages that belonged to her ended up at my place. I brought some of them over to her front door as I've always done before. Some were too heavy (like the two at my front door currently and have been there since Thursday, Friday, Saturday and now Sunday) for me to feel chivalry enough to haul them over to her.

    Am I obligated to deliver her packages to her? If I just leave them there and some thief steal them, am I responsible? What should I do to cover my behind in case she accuses me of taking her packages?

    Thank you for reading and in advance, for your advices.

    submitted by /u/Pokeymonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Ex roommate refusing to pay rent and stole property.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    So last month my roommate moved out of my house. He is in the military and needed a place to stay while his paperwork for BAH (housing money) was getting approved. I let him move in to my house for 3 months and we agreed he'd pay $950 a month for rent and I'd give him the first month free to buy stuff he needs like a bed. I haven't seen a single penny and I was out out of town when he moved out. Upon returning home I found that I was missing a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff and he has not replied to me when I try to reach out about payment. I was friends with him for over a year, and had no reason to suspect he'd do this, so I don't have a lease with him, only texts of us agreeing on the price. What do I do in the us situation. He owes over $2,500 including the stolen property but I'm not sure who to contact because there isn't a paper lease.

    submitted by /u/TotallyNotMyTossAway
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] New apartment company is not doing automated bank withdrawls for rent, also due to COVID they are refusing to accept checks. Instead we need to use a completely insecure website that is open monday to friday 12-4pm, and tacks on $45 service charge.

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 11:05 PM PDT

    New company took over at the start of July for our apartment. Yesterday they shoved a note on all our doors outlining the "new" method of paying your rent.

    Essentially we need to go to a random website that looks like it is from the 90's, that doesn't use SSL and punch in our apartment number and then our credit card/debit card information to pay our rent. On top of this the website is only open monday to friday from 12-4pm, along with being forced to pay a $45 "service" charge.

    Also due to COVID they WILL not accept any checks for "safety" reasons. If we provide them a check they will be "destroyed".

    I confronted our LL about this and explained how i am not putting in my information into a random unsecured website. He told me that if i don't use the site then he will personally drag me out of my apartment on August 1st.

    Furthermore this company has also told us they will not be doing any repairs or fixing issues due to COVID and instead we are recommended to find a company ourselves and pay them ourselves and they will reimburse us up to a certain amount "at their discretion", however will not explain to us what this amount is.

    Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/ApartmentBill1988
    [link] [comments]

    Ex’s gf keyed my car & slashed my tires. Press charges, or resolve privately?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    This weekend (in SC) an ex's gf slashed all 4 of my tires and keyed my car (every side/part of my car). The ex is asking me to not file a police report/charges against her. He wants to take the fall for it (basically to protect her legal-wise) and also pay for it because she doesn't have the $.

    I'm wondering if she'll be back to hurt me and/or my property again if she doesn't face legal repercussions. As far he tells me, she's scared that I was planning to press charges. (I haven't had any contact with her directly- the ex is being the "messenger" of this).

    However, when I looked at the process of filing a police report and pressing charges, it's a long drawn out process (South Carolina). Right now, I'm working long hours and going to school so I legitimately don't have the time or want the added stress of hiring a lawyer, going to court, etc.

    Honestly, I just want my car to be fixed. Would I be making the wrong (stupid) decision in the long term by letting him (ex) take the car to get it fixed, him paying for it, and just moving on with my life?

    Please let me know if you need any more info. Thanks so much in advance for any insight you can provide.

    submitted by /u/yvbz
    [link] [comments]

    [CO] Landlord allowed stranger into apartment.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 06:02 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    Please let me know if this post is against the rules and I will be sure to remove it or edit it to make it comply with your rules.

    Earlier today, my friend woke up to find a strange man wearing all black and with a mask on in her apartment.

    She was shocked and was not dressed and thought the worst. She tried to sneak out of the apartment through the front door (this man was in her bathroom rummaging about) but the man stepped out in front of the door and demanded that she explain what she was doing in her own apartment.

    She tried to calmly explain that she lived here, but the man said that she did not live there and demanded that she explain what she was doing there.

    He said that the apartment belonged to a friend of his and that the landlord had given him the key to enter into the apartment.

    She was able to talk him into letting her put some clothes on and let her go to the office to explain what might be going on and he eventually agreed.

    When she got to the apartment office, she found out that the landlords staff member had given him the key to get into the wrong apartment (my friend's apartment) and let him go in there without being supervised because someone had requested that he be let into her own (different) apartment.

    Apparently this person that asked that the apartment office let her friend into her apartment did not specify which apartment it was, and her friend simply gave my friends apartment number as the one he needed to get into.

    The staff member at the apartment somehow didn't notice that the name of the person that gave permission to give out a key was different and just handed over the key to this guy and let him head up by himself.

    My friend is badly shaken by the fact that the apartment could just give out her key without doing some basic checks and is eager to move out.

    The guy could have been armed and might have shot her when he saw her or attacked her somehow thinking she was trespassing in his friends apartment.

    However, the lease has an early termination clause that means it will cost her a few thousand dollars to break the lease before it ends next year.

    I would like to ask if it might be possible for this early termination clause to be waived (and the full security deposit returned) on the grounds that the apartment was negligent and has now created a situation where my friend is scared and doesn't feel safe in her own home.

    For added context my friend is not behind on rent and has never paid rent late since she moved into her apartment.

    Is this the kind of thing that small claims court is for? Or should she hire a lawyer to draft a demand letter for the security deposit and waiver of the early termination fee? Or can she ask that they pay for her to get therapy or something if she can't afford to move out?

    Is there anything at all that she can do? Please let me know if she has any recourse.

    submitted by /u/bobonobo911
    [link] [comments]

    Hospital holding daughter past 72 hour legal hold. Advice needed.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 12:17 PM PDT

    My daughter turned 18 in January.

    Last week, she attempted suicide by swallowing several days worth of her medication. She told me immediately after and I took her to the nearest emergency room.

    She was admitted to the hospital on July 11th. They tested her for Coronavirus the next day and her results came back positive that night.

    On Monday the 13th she was medically cleared from the overdose by the admitting doctor. However they have denied her a psychiatric evaluation solely on the grounds that she remains positive for Coronavirus (very mild symptoms). She has since tested positive a second time.

    Their logic is that if she doesn't pass the psyche evaluation then the won't be able to send her to a mental health facility due to her being positive for the Coronavirus.

    She has now been there 8 days with no evaluation and they claim to still have her on a legal hold. We are located in Las Vegas, NV.

    Any advice is appreciated. I need her to be able to see her doctor and therapist.

    submitted by /u/kxp410
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors pitbull just attacked my dog

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    Took place in Alaska.

    I took my dog Steve on a walk around the neighborhood about an hour or so ago when we came to a house that had a pitbull outside. I was quite a ways from the house when the pitbull came into the road and started running after us.

    I yelled out to the owner and asked if it was friendly to which she replied "yes" so they started sniffing each other for a second and then the pit just latched onto his neck and wouldn't let go. She was trying to shock him with his color and I was screaming at her to grab him but nothing was helping so I told her I was going to shoot it and almost grabbed my gun but she yelled at me to try hitting it so I wailed on it's head and it still wouldn't come off so I had to kick it and one huge stomp to the head and he let go and the owner was able to grab it.

    I legit thought Steve was going to die, he never even tried fighting back once. He's a very good boy he's never showed aggression to any dog and is alaways on a leash he was just crying while it was latched around his neck.

    Luckily Steve is very fluffy so his fur saved his neck and I don't even think the dog broke his skin. He had a tiny scratch that was bleeding very little but it's so small I can't even find it. It may even have been from the other dog because theres blood was on top of my fist where I decked it in the face.

    Anyways I called animal control but it's closed on sundays so I left a message reporting the whole thing. The owner of the dog put the dog in and then came out to give me water to pour on Steve to see how bad he was hurt. I could tell she felt bad and I really didn't want to have to kick her dog like that but he would've have killed Steve otherwise. There's kids that play around here it could've done that to one of them easily and they don't have huge fur to protect them.

    Is there any course of action you guys would recommend me taking? She gave me her contact info.

    Here's my dog Steve . He's a chow/lab mix he's the best ever I'm so happy he's ok

    submitted by /u/basedalaskan
    [link] [comments]

    What happens if I refuse to go home from a family members house?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    What happens if I run away and refuse to go home to my mother? The most that can be done is calling the cops right? What are the cops going to do about it?

    EDIT: not a family members house because I do not want to get anyone else in trouble

    submitted by /u/anonymousbitch0846
    [link] [comments]

    Issued an eviction notice, but it’s marked with the incorrect date

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    So I was issued an eviction notice, however it's dated June 19th, and not July 19th. Am I correct in assuming that in the State of Texas this makes it automatically invalid? (This was issued because I live with my mother and she is unwilling to accept that online schooling will not work for me, and attempted to issue a notice upon me stating that I will not attend online classes)

    submitted by /u/HopSins01
    [link] [comments]

    [TEXAS] I'm an only child, my grandpa is still alive, and my mom has 1 living brother. What happens if she dies without a Will, will everything she owns go to me?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    My mom had a heatstroke a few days ago, I have a post about it on /r/personalfinance . Luckily, she's woken up but still in the hospital and they've just discovered that she has two blood infections. I'm worried that they're going to perform surgery on her as they're looking for hardware from a previous surgery and that she might not survive the surgery. She's been extremely weak since her original back surgery and for them to put her under again, I don't know what will happen.

    I'm wondering, if she were to die, what happens to all of her assets? She has me, as far as we both know, as a beneficiary for her pension from her disability. There's also SSA payments she gets every month but I don't know what will happen with that. I'm the primary on her Life Insurance policies as well. She also owes 32k on her mortgage, I don't know what would happen to the home if she were to die, would I be responsible for that 32k or would the state try to sell it during the probate period since she doesn't have a will? I don't even know what probate means, I've never owned property like this before.

    submitted by /u/oldredditacc3123
    [link] [comments]

    Roommates flipped breakers on me - cost me $300

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:40 PM PDT

    I was streaming last night and my roommates flipped my breakers on me. I now have to refund my client $300. This was the third signal disruption of the night. The first two times one of my other roommates pulled the plug on my lan line, causing signal loss. My landlord said he is not a parent and I should have a battery backup to prevent this. How can I solve this issue? We are all on independent leases in this house.

    submitted by /u/stevenbates-
    [link] [comments]

    Do Employers Legally Have to Pay Commissions That Have Been Earned?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 09:02 PM PDT

    My husband is a tech salesperson whose company was purchased by a bigger firm a year ago. He is one of their top salespeople, with more than half of our income coming from those commissions. Up until March, he got paid commissions monthly. At that time, they said they would be paying every quarter - leaving us to scramble and plan for a cumulative payment that would cover our unpaid expenses, which they promised to pay in July.

    In mid-June, with salespeople struggling and desperate for commissions they had already earned, they sent out a document and demanded signing for continued employment and/or the upcoming payment of commissions. Everyone signed.

    The promised July pay date came and went. The commissions - in my husband's case, $10,000+ - were kept by the company with no explanation or new pay date. Instead, they pointed to lines in the agreement they had been coerced into signing - one clause says they have fifty days from the commission pay date to get around to paying it for whatever reason they deem fit. Another clause, further along, essentially says they can choose to alter or not pay commissions at any time. We're panicking.

    The 50 days listed in the document will be up in early August, and we live in Indiana. The company, in an effort to keep people from quitting, have confirmed the amount of money which each employee is owed, so we have that in writing. Can we sue them for non-payment of this money? Is a clause in their document saying they can choose to simply not pay earned commissions even legal?

    If we can sue, would our best bet be to hire someone on contingency to take on the case, or possibly sue for it in small claims - if $10K is small claims. Please let us know what you think, because we're desperate and lost at this point.

    It never even occurred to me that a publicly-traded company would have the nerve or lack of compassion to simply keep earned wages from struggling families. Thank you for any advice you can give! It is very, very appreciated.

    submitted by /u/EpicRockstarNarwhal
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment