• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 15, 2020

    Legal Advice - ‪My best friend (black) got sent home from work yesterday because her manager didn’t want a racist client -who came in screaming the N word- to feel uncomfortable... ‬

    Legal Advice - ‪My best friend (black) got sent home from work yesterday because her manager didn’t want a racist client -who came in screaming the N word- to feel uncomfortable... ‬


    ‪My best friend (black) got sent home from work yesterday because her manager didn’t want a racist client -who came in screaming the N word- to feel uncomfortable... ‬

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    So yesterday this woman came into my friends salon mad about her son sleeping with a black woman. She openly used the N word right in front of my best friend and her two other coworkers (one was also black). This lady had an appointment with my best friend so of course my best friend refused to work on her. Her manager sent her and the other black girl home (without pay) because she didn't want the racist lady to feel uncomfortable.

    What can my friend do? She doesn't want to go back to work there obviously but needs to pay her bills. She asked if she could quit and get unemployment but I don't believe it works like that. Is there a way around this? Who can she contact? Basically what can she do? Any information is appreciated.

    Edit: located in WV. ~40 employees at the salon.

    submitted by /u/upintheskyyy
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: The police are asking my neighbors about my sexual orientation?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 08:27 PM PDT

    US - Indiana

    So, an update/continuation...

    Thank you to all who gave helpful advice on my post. There were a couple doubters/trolls, but some incredibly helpful people, including someone from my town who offered me a safe space in case the police harassment continued.

    As many of you urged, I told my lawyer in my civil suit about this - to say he was furious is an understatement. While he watched, I called my local police department and eventually got connected with the police chief. I asked about the incident and why they were looking for me and he said that there had been an "anonymous welfare check" called in, and that's why they were looking for me. He could not provide any rationale that the officers had asked questions about my sexuality, but assured me he would follow up.

    After we hung up, my lawyer contacted the city attorney we've been working with to update him. My lawyer informed the city attorney that we would keep records of this to present to the judge in our case, to make sure everything stayed "above board." The city attorney seemed annoyed but agreed. Well, when my lawyer went to get a copy of the incident report/call log of the anonymous welfare check, the police informed us that no such record "exists anymore," which implies to us that it did at one point. They would not/could not elaborate on what happened to the information so we filed a public records request, which my attorney is not confident in at all (if they're lying already they can just lie about that too, is his logic). We plan to inform the judge at our next hearing about the police involvement so that the judge is aware.

    So, that's basically where we're at. Sorry for burying the lede in the last post - I just honestly forget sometimes that I'm involved in a civil suit (keeps getting delayed and extended and such, especially due to the plague) so I forgot to add it into the story while I was panicking!

    And, to satisfy some curious Redditors who were wondering what the lawsuit was about - I can't go into much detail without potentially revealing my identity, but I can say that, during some research for a class of mine, I discovered my City was participating in programs that broke state law due to them not following certain rules/guidelines. These programs are in the millions of dollars budget-wise and are subject to being reviewed by the Courts if I win my case. All in all, me winning my case could result in the City losing millions PLUS being set back at least 6-8 years progress-wise. People are VERY upset, including a city council member who was caught posting vaguely accusatory statuses about me on Facebook. Half the town is very upset at me, while the other half is supportive of my case.

    Nothing super dramatic or petty, but definitely expensive enough and damaging enough to certain people's reputations that I can see them trying to intimidate me into backing down.

    At this point, we're just hopeful that the police stay away since we've called them out to their direct bosses. I've put a chain on my door so they can't claim I ever "let them inside," and alerted all my neighbors to my lawsuit and asked them to kindly tell the police to fuck off. My neighbors, I've found, are generally anti-police, so I think I'm safe for now. Thank you all for your concern!

    submitted by /u/Egg_Weekly
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: Apartment company backed down after threatening litigation for leaving a half completed lease before move in!

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 08:54 AM PDT

    For reference to my original post https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/hotety/apartment_complex_threatened_to_sue_me_after_i/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    After no contact with the apartment complex for a few days I began contacting a few legal experts after receiving some very helpful advice from reddit. Going forward, I spoke to the leasing manager after acquiring several documents showing the lease to be invalidated and void if I did not acquire a guarantor.

    And to my surprise, they completely dropped the ordeal! Currently I have been advised to send a letter of confirmation that I am not going to be living there on the basis that I have no guarantor. It IS possible to break a lease if they state you cannot move in without providing a guarantor. Remember to reread your leases before they entrap you!

    submitted by /u/Stater_155
    [link] [comments]

    I served on a jury 2 and some change years ago and convicted a guy to 2 years in prison. Today, I got a letter in the mail from him naming everything the jury got wrong.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    Is Jurour information public record? I don't ever remembering hearing my name called in front of the defendant.

    I understand the internet has access to basically everyone's address, but just kind of freaked out here.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Emotional-Zucchini
    [link] [comments]

    I had sex with my therapist and recorded some of the sessions where we were inappropriate and sessions leading up to it without his knowledge or permission. Did I commit a crime?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    I'm in California and I just learned that there are strict wiretap laws. I'm scared I will be in big trouble. The voice recordings are on my phone and password protected in a recording app.

    I don't know why I recorded. It started because I wanted to hear his voice when I was at home. I missed him so much and the recordings comforted me. It felt like he was flirting with me but I wasn't sure and having the recordings I could go back and listen to make sense of it. Even with the recordings I still wasn't sure.

    I don't want to go into details but it evolved into kissing, touching and sex. It occurred over a hundred times during our sessions over the course of a year and a half. I feel stupid for allowing it to happen. I am an adult and knew better. I was in love with him and he said he loved me.

    I continued to record in the beginning. I don't know why... fear... I can't explain it. But I did and it was wrong. I never went back to listen to them but I felt compelled to keep recording. Part of me feared something bad would happen.

    I've never shared the recordings with anyone. I don't listen to them but I think I keep them as proof that it actually happened in case I later start to question myself.

    From what I've googled it is a crime for a therapist to have a sexual relationship with a patient in California. This is the only evidence I have of a sexual relationship with him. There are no emails or sexts. If I decide to report him I would need evidence but I assume even if I wanted to I couldn't use the recordings. In fact the recordings would incriminate me, right? And I could face criminal charges.

    Should I delete them all? Am I in any trouble right now?

    I'm not sure what tag to apply in this case.

    Edit: To clarify it is voice and not video recordings.

    submitted by /u/1-away
    [link] [comments]

    Neighborhood wants to be annexed into the city. I don't want my property to be, but we are told it is "all or nothing."

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 06:47 AM PDT

    I own my home just outside city limits of a major city in Iowa. Currently we are not within the city and are restricted to county rules/regulations but not city rules/regulations.

    Currently our neighborhood receives water from a community well that serves most of the neighborhood. After almost a decade of constant problems with the well and pending major bills coming up, the neighborhood has learned that another development will be bringing city water very close to us, and wants to get city water. The city will allow this, but will annex the neighborhood into the city.

    My own property does not use the community well - after so many problems, last year I had a private individual well dug on the property. It does not have the problems that the community well has, and has provided a stable water supply and passed all tests without issues.

    The city is treating the annexation as an "all or nothing" move, and if they annex the neighborhood, it sounds like that will automatically include my property and I cannot do anything about it.

    I have two problems with this:
    (1) The city representative has told me that if my property is annexed into the city and city water is available, the city will force me to connect to it. I will be forced to abandon my brand new private well that I spent a great deal of money on less than a year ago, and begin paying monthly for water service.

    (2) My property does not conform to a number of city regulations - I have a fence that breaks the city's rules, some landscaping that is not allowed, etc. I asked if I would be grandfathered in and I was told that the answer is "kind of": They will not come out and start forcing me to make changes to abide by city rules on day 1. HOWEVER if I ever want a permit for repair or work over a certain value (he thought it was $500 but he wasn't sure) the city will require that I rectify those problems in order to go through with a permit. He said for example that when I replace my aging deck, I will need to have someone from the city do a site inspection, and they will not sign off until I also correct the fence that doesn't meet code. He said they make exceptions for historic value, but that would not apply to me, and they are unlikely to grant an exception - they'll just say "well if you don't want to fix your fence, you don't get to add that addition."

    (3) I will pay higher property taxes (they are estimating about double) and will also be restricted by all other city rules and ordinances.

    Currently the city is making it sound like I will not get a say in whether my property is annexed. They will not annex the neighborhood around me without also annexing my house, and there is effectively nothing I can do. Is that correct?

    I appreciate your taking the time to read this. I am extremely frustrated by this situation as my choice to buy a property out in the country (outside the city) was purposeful thanks to lower property taxes, etc., and it sounds like that is about to be flipped upside down regardless of my wishes. I would appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/annexinghelp
    [link] [comments]

    Demoted while asleep

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    I was demoted on my day off because i did not wake up and answer the phone to cover a shift on my day off after working 3 12 hr shifts.

    My boss tells me that im required to answer my phone even though im not on call or anything. Gets mad that i keep the messenger app, slack, on silent when im off (because every day they post 10-15 times about birthdays or recycling or anniversary things and i dont wanna wake up every hr or two to see someone saying happy birthday) and that its my fault.

    Pay cut and a demotion. Then they require me to give up one of my days off, which is where i am now, trying to stay calm because with the covid stuff not many places are hiring.

    Is this ok? It seems very very wrong to me.

    submitted by /u/MyceliumsWeb
    [link] [comments]

    Live Nation told me my tickets would be honored for next year, performers changed venue, won't issue refund even with Ticket insurance.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:42 PM PDT

    I purchased tickets to go to RATM and RTJ months back before Covid hit. I also purchased ticket insurance. This was all through Live Nation.

    The date that I bought the ticket for was a date that was later added to their tour, as they were going to do 2 shows at the same venue 2 nights in a row(the first show sold out really fast).

    Once Covid hit, the concert was cancelled, this was in March. I contacted Live Nation and they said the tickets would be honored for the same concert just moving the dates into next year, same date just 2021.

    The concert was supposed to be this past weekend (7/11)

    As it turns out, the added date that I bought the ticket for is no longer at the venue that I purchased the ticket for. I noticed this today (7/15). It is now scheduled for a show in Oakland, but I live in Milwaukee.

    I called Live Nation, only to get their automated system, when they ask about the account and tickets, and I refer to the tickets I purchased, the automated system tells me that the show has been cancelled and I won't be getting a refund.

    I BOUGHT TICKET INSURANCE, and I called and they said the tickets would be honored for next year's dates.

    Not really sure what steps I can take or what options I have. I would love to just go to the concert next summer, I was super stoked about this particular concert, but now that the venue has changed for the same date in 2021 it really isn't feasible for me.

    submitted by /u/Theshizzdogg
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord keeping my deposit due to "Covid Cleanup"

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 08:11 AM PDT

    Hi all! I really appreciate your input on this!

    So I agreed to rent a room out of Somebody's home for $800 per month, and I gave them an $800 dollar deposit on the property, with the terms being that it would be on a monthly basis. At the end of the first month, I notified my landlord that I would be moving back home, and cleared my things from the place, and specifically asked them, do I need to clean all the linens and everything myself? Or did they want to hire someone to do it. They let me know they wanted to hire someone to do it, and that I didn't need to worry about it.

    Now, exactly 15 says after I moved out, they have informed me that they wil be keeping half of my deposit, a full $400 for cleaning, with the explaination that:

    " I had to have cleaning lady clean carpet all linens clean mattress disinfect every thing in room plus bathroom in order to rent it because of COVID 19. "

    I could have cleaned everything throughly myself, or hired someone for half that price to clean it and have it perfectly disinfected for covid. Can they really claim that much for cleaning a single room and bathroom, when I wanted to clean it myself?

    I was renting in south florida, specifically palm beach county.

    In addition I haven't even recieved the other half that she claimed to have sent me via Zelle.

    submitted by /u/KaitlinNiltiak
    [link] [comments]

    My HOA illegally installed speed bumps that damaged cars. Are residents able to recoup damages from the HOA?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 08:45 PM PDT

    Our HOA installed speed bumps without approval from anyone. I called the county, who informed me that ONLY the county can install bumps or humps on the roads in question. They have contacted the HOA management and I believe they said that they were going to issue a cease and desist to the HOA. If the HOA truly did install these without permission and in violation of county codes/laws, could residents recoup damages to their cars from the HOA?

    submitted by /u/Ian_is_funny
    [link] [comments]

    The company I work for had a government bailout and is now prepping to fire 36,000 people

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 09:24 AM PDT

    The bailout timeline where they can't fire is coming to a end. They are providing a "volunteer" leave option. It's a option to waive all liability of the company and you can't do anything after signing it. It releases all claims to the company or parties.

    One line in the waiver, it says "I am giving up important legal rights. I have consulted a attorney before signing"

    What should I be thinking about this? Is there action that could be taken on such a huge company or is it best to just take the packages offered and waive everything possibly wronged by? (Even if I don't know what I've been wronged by yet)

    submitted by /u/AdamtoZ
    [link] [comments]

    I quit my job and my boss is trying to change my pay rate for the hours I've already worked prior to quitting

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    I live in Minnesota.

    In May of this year, I was hired at a smoke shop in my town. It was all very informal, I didn't interview or anything, I was just told to leave my number if I was interested and I would get a call after the background check. I got a call one day after I left my number, and started working there two days later.

    When I was hired, the only things that I signed/filled out were my w2 and my i9. I was told that if I 'worked good i would be paid good.' I was making $10.50 to start. After one month, the guy who trained me in suddenly quit and I was given a "promotion" to manager and a raise to $12.75 an hour.

    I decided to quit on July 13. I live in an at will state, and I did not think that my boss would react well to my putting in notice, so I texted him an hour into my shift and told him that I would finish out my shift and then I was quitting. Two hours after I got home, he texted me and said "based on our policy, your pay rate got dropped down to the minimum wage $9.86 for quitting your job with out two weeks notice. thank you"

    Can he do that? I was never made aware of this policy, nor did I sign anything saying that I agreed. I don't think that he can drop my pay rate for the hours that I had already worked, but I have heard from former employees that he is known to do this (among other shady things). Is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/PiperTheSynth
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord Turned Off Electricity, Girlfriend's Dad Passed of a Heart Attack

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:54 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Last week, my girlfriend was interested in renting a space from the landlord. She gave the landlord her deposit but my girlfriend changed her mind. Upset, the landlord told her that she wants her dad out by July 31st. Her dad had already paid rent for the month of July and August.

    Her dad felt ill on Saturday and went to the hospital were they kept him overnight. He felt much better after they gave him an IV drip and they let him go on Sunday. He was tested for Covid and tested positive.

    Upon learning of his Covid test, the landlord told him that he had to leave immediately. On Monday night, the landlord shut down his electricity. He spent the night, in the Miami heat, with no electricity, no air conditioning, and no fan.

    On Tuesday morning, he called a friend and told them he wasnt feeling well. His friend came over, noticed how hot the studio was and he had a heart attack. The ambulance and the police were called.

    He had shown no symptoms of covid and the X-ray of his lungs came back clean. The heart attack was attributed to how weak his body generally was.

    The police who attend said that the lack of electricity and air flow did not help at all and suggested to my girlfriend that she take legal action against the landlord.

    We're in Los Angeles and we're wondering if there's enough here to take legal action and if so, what kind of lawyer would it go through?

    Thanks for any help with this.

    EDIT: I should add that the dad's friend who went to see him stated that the electricity and air came back on as soon as the landowner heard the ambulance was coming.

    submitted by /u/jesus-crust
    [link] [comments]

    (Texas) My daughter told me last night that her mother's boyfriend has been inappropriately touching her.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 09:53 AM PDT

    I have a four-year-old daughter due to turn 5 this Saturday. Her mother has primary custody, but I have my daughter for the month of July (with the exception of a few hours her mother is entitled to this Saturday) The mother and her boyfriend have been living together for over 3 years. I do not have a amicable relationship with the mother or the boyfriend.

    A couple years ago, my daughter mentioned to me that the mother's boyfriend had been observing her during bath time. I brought my concern up to her mother, and the mother explained it was okay, because our daughter had been taking a bath with her younger sister. (his daughter) I replied that if her boyfriend wanted to be there for bath time, he could take his daughter to the other bathroom (where there was another bathtub) and bathe his daughter. That it was inappropriate to use his daughter as cover to be in the bathroom during our daughter's bath time. Fast forward to Dec of 2018, I found out from our daughter that he was still observing our daughter during bath time at their home. I told her mother that if he continued this inappropriate behavior, that I would file a police report. The mother seemed to take my warning seriously, because I followed up with my daughter about 3 months later, and she told me that the boyfriend had stopped watching her during bath time.

    Last night, I was reading an instance about somebody's experience with a pervert, and it made me recollect about the boyfriend. I asked my daughter if the boyfriend has been observing her again. My daughter told me that he was occasionally bathing her. I asked her why he was bathing her, (considering that during the time she's been with me, My daughter has been bathing and dressing herself since last Christmas) and she said he said it was okay, because he was her "Pops" I was too stunned to ask her any more questions. I'm not even sure how to ask her any more questions. I don't want her to feel shame about something that isn't her fault, especially since she gave me the impression that she felt this was regular behavior.

    I don't want my daughter to be there, exposed, and vulnerable. I filed a police report, and they took it, but I was given the impression that it would not go anywhere because there is no evidence he is getting personal gratification from it. CPS has told me the same reason as to why they decided not to investigate the issue. It's hard to believe that the mother is ignorant about this, as it's happened multiple times. I have a suspicion that the mother is aware that this is an issue for me, since I brought it up to her previously, and she is pushing my buttons, (so to speak) in hopes of riling me up so that I would make some sort of threat against her boyfriend. That way, the mother could claim to have some legitimate fear against me. I don't think the mother thought this through, and by pushing the button, she would put our daughter in a position to be exploited. It's difficult to believe that the mother is unable to be aware of how it looks (or could become) and is instead, choosing to become ignorant.

    As I mentioned before, I did not ask any follow up question to my daughter. For the moment, my daughter is safe with me. I am not sure how to ask my daughter the sensitive questions CPS and law enforcement are requiring to take the matter seriously. I do not want to make my daughter feel that she did something wrong, nor do I want to jeopardize the legitimacy of an investigation by asking questions that would appear to be "coaching" In absence of being able to afford an attorney, I subscribed to a family law service that provides general assistance to those that are going Pro Se, and attempting to petition an emergency hearing for primary custody with an injunction against the boyfriend. At the moment, my daughter does not seem traumatized. Because of her age, I worry that the boyfriend has taken advantage of my daughter's naivety, and convinced her that this is normal behavior, and he is allowed to touch her inappropriately. (especially since she has demonstrated that she does not need his "assistance") I have not told her mother about the recent revelation, on the concern that she may takes steps to coach our daughter during the possession time she has with her this weekend, and the fact she has been dismissive of her boyfriend's inappropriate behavior in the past.

    Is there any steps I should take other than the ones I've mentioned? If I should ask more questions of my daughter, what should I be asking, and what would be the best way to ask them?

    submitted by /u/thr0waway0110111
    [link] [comments]

    I acquired 40 acres of land in my parent's divorce that my father continues to use as if it is his.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 06:32 AM PDT

    When my parents settled their divorce, my mom wanted to make sure that her two sons (my brother and I) got some land. My father owned 160 acres and my brother and I each were to recieve 40 acres in 2010 per the settlement (father lives on adjacent 80 acres). That did not happen and my father gave the explanation that he was just holding onto it to cover the taxes for us. We were young and poor and lived several hours away so we did not fight this then. Eventually, the land was given to us in 2016. I find out that during this 6 years, he had the land logged and he made several thousand dollars. The land was then signed over to us only if we signed an agreement that if we were to sell it, we had to offer it at 25% market value to a list of other family members he provided. The land is several hours away and is still frequently used by my father, his current wife, and their family for hunting and recreation. The land is under forest management, not sure if that impacts what I can do with it.

    I have met with a lawyer, they said I had a better chance of doing something in 2010. Since time is passed, their is a statute of limitation. This I believe is why my father held onto it.

    I would like to sell the land. I would happily offer it to the family members who use it, but I will not sell it at 25% of its value. So my question is, how do I get around that foolishly signed agreement? It is important to note, my brother is in the same boat as I and feels stuck as well. Also, on the list of family we are to offer it to my brother is at the top of my list and I am at the top of his. Could we do a swap of some kind to negate the agreement my father set up? What other options do I have?

    Edit: This all takes place in Wisconsin.

    submitted by /u/TacticalFarticles
    [link] [comments]

    Previous owners taking something from what's now my property.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    This may not be a big deal. But I just purchased a house as an as-is purchase in Georgia. The previous owners built a 10-ft "faith over fear" cross and put it in the front yard. Sometime in the last few days, they've come and dug it up without contacting me before doing so. Honestly, I don't really care about the cross. But I haven't had the door combination or locks changed yet, so I have no way of knowing if they're going to come back, take something else, or even come into the house. Not sure if there's anything I can do about this. It just seems wrong and makes me a little paranoid.

    submitted by /u/Yogi_Bare
    [link] [comments]

    Gf got fired for violating social media policy. What does she put when filling for unemployment?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 09:53 AM PDT

    She made a comment on a colleague's SM post in reference to work, however, no personal info regarding work was put out. It was nearly a month ago, that she ws called in for that meeting, though I'm not sure when the actual comment was made.

    She was brought into a small meeting today, told she was fired for violating social media policy, and told to empty her desk. They stated under TX Law, they needed no paperwork to fire her. The rest of her coworkers are panicking like chickens without heads, seeing as how she was among the best of them, and are now concerned for their jobs and families.

    So now she's applying for jobs and unemployment, but is not sure what to say when applying for unemployment; terminated, wrongful termination, resigned in lieu of termination, etc.

    Any advice whether to do anything about the job or put when filling for unemployment?

    (Houston, TX)

    submitted by /u/hmeh102
    [link] [comments]

    I was tested for Covid by a independent lab through my employer, my employer called me with the results.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 01:07 PM PDT

    I don't have a problem with them knowing the results but I thought that medical records could only be released to someone if it was authorized to do so. Is this legal?

    Edit: Location is Houston.

    submitted by /u/jtyler444
    [link] [comments]

    (WA) Divorce and Stuck

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    Me and my soon to be ex husband are getting divorced after 5 years. I filed today and I have a court date.

    The problem is that my soon to be ex husband has constantly changed his mind over and over again. He wants to fight for full custody and he thinks he can get it.

    With all that being said, we moved up here (WA) because he wanted to live where we currently reside. Neither of us have any family here. He can work from any state in the US now because his position just allowed for indefinite work from home. We agreed to move to the western US since that is where I am from but he decided to change his mind. As a SAHM, I have zero support here and made plans to move back to the home state. He is now saying no and also backing down from 50/50 custody.

    What can I do to get my kids and I out of this state and back into my home state (CA) where emotional/financial support is available? My family said the kids and I could live with them at zero cost and it is the best idea for our kids and me. He refuses.

    Sorry if this sounds all funky. He reddit stalks my profile so i am trying to not write like I usually do and trying to be vague.

    submitted by /u/Just_Die_Okay
    [link] [comments]

    I've been charged for a family member's tax levy

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    I checked my bank account today to find two charges, one for a levy under a family member's name in a different state they recently moved out of, and a processing fee for that levy. This was news to me, and I initially mistook it for a fraudulent charge. After talking with a rep for my bank, they say they can refund the processing fee, but that the levy itself needed to be paid and would be processed early next month. I was given the state's tax office number and a case number for if I was to dispute the charge.

    I contacted the family member in question afterwards, and they said they didn't know what it was, and that they wouldn't have provided my account information for it. I think this account is technically in their name as well as mine, as it was an account they helped me set up when I was younger.

    I'm not certain where I should go from here. I'm considering contacting the state tax office and trying to dispute the use of my account, since I'm the only one who has ever used it, but I'm unsure of how far I could get considering this doesn't involve my taxes. Can they even remove the charge from my account if my family member's name is on it and there isn't an alternative? Is this something the tax office could've found and done autonomously, or would my family member have needed to provide my account specifically?

    What should I do? I'm located in New York and the charges are with the state of Maine.

    submitted by /u/Gretchh
    [link] [comments]

    I am separating from my wife and she is threatening my family.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 05:31 PM PDT

    I left my wife last week. She is physically and emotionally abusive. The day I left, she said the most racist shit I have ever heard, and followed it up by punching me, and then punching the wall so hard she broke her hand. The wall has indents of her knuckles, already showed the police. I am staying with family, 120 miles away from where I lived with her. She went to jail that day, after all of this, for resisting arrest. Stayed the night in jail, came back the next day, and that's when the harassment started. Threatened my life, filed a report that I was the one who broke her hand, made a vague threat inferring that my nephew would be killed, and other horrible shit. She is relentless, and yet, the cops and the lawyer I hired can't seem to do anything about it. I know that she is capable of inflicting harm upon my family, she knows where I am staying, and knows where my mom, aunt, brother, and father all live. The lawyer doesn't seem to take anything I have said seriously, and Everytime I get off the phone or leave his office, I feel like nothing has changed. My family is scared for their lives, and yet we are stuck here just having to wait for something to happen. I have barely slept in the past week. She destroyed the apartment we lived in, I have before and after videos. 95% of the items in the apartment were mine, aquired before the marriage. The night I left, I took our dogs to my mom's, where I am currently staying. She considers one of these dogs her possession, and keeps saying she will come and get him, no matter the cost. I offered to give the dog back, as little as I want to. She changes her mind about the dog, and then changes it again. She knows people with guns, criminals. I don't know what to do. The lawyer isn't doing anything. The cops can't do anything. I am scared for my family's safety. Please, for the love of God, throw some advice my way.

    submitted by /u/Steamedmangopaste
    [link] [comments]

    My green card is expiring soon. I'm not a US citizen. College student. What's my best course of action?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    So, TLDR, I was very occupied with a lot of things, and completely forgot I was supposed to apply for U.S citizenship naturalization. Anyway, I'm not here to talk about all that and excuses.

    21, NJ, USA.

    My green card expires on 09/09/20, and I am currently not a U.S citizen. I know it takes a long time for me to apply for naturalization, so if I do that now, I won't be a permanent resident NOR a citizen here for many months. What problems will that cause legally? I am currently a junior student moving up to my senior year at a university. And should I just renew my green card ASAP, and then apply for the US citizenship at the same time? So therefore I decrease the amount of time I'm not even a permanent resident/citizen? (I am very lost and stupid when it comes to legal stuff, so ELI5 level explanation would be appreciated!)

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/sangjoon245
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment