• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 14, 2020

    Legal Advice - As I'm writing this, my neighbors' workers are building a fence on our own property. [Wisconsin]

    Legal Advice - As I'm writing this, my neighbors' workers are building a fence on our own property. [Wisconsin]


    As I'm writing this, my neighbors' workers are building a fence on our own property. [Wisconsin]

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 09:41 AM PDT

    I'm a college student on summer break, and I'm living with my parents near Lake Winnebago for the time being. They have surveyed on multiple occasions the area of land that the neighbor is currently building a fence on (he started building about 3-4 hours ago, in the morning), and the surveyor seemed to confirm that this was part of our property. My dad believes we must give up, believes we can't afford a lawyer to fight it and so on. It probably doesn't matter, but our property is on the lake, and that little land could be rather valuable if we ever sell the house and land. I'm just hoping to help my parents.

    submitted by /u/BlazingFox
    [link] [comments]

    Failed drug test though have never done drugs, fired from employment.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 04:52 AM PDT

    I have a friend who is an ~18 year employee with a local utility company in Northern Virginia. The company has progressively gotten worse to work for, but with retirement eligibility at 20 years of service, he was sticking it out. Recently, he had a random drug test and they said he failed - testing positive for cocaine.

    I can't get this guy to drink a beer, he doesn't do drugs.

    Here are the issues I find with what he's telling me:

    1. They had a "substitute" safety officer administer/handle the test as the official person was on leave. The substitute was an admin assistant.
    2. He was immediately placed on administrative leave without pay.
    3. Retirement was approaching in 2 years.
    4. He was on an "old" pay/leave system which the company didn't like, better benefits for him, more long term responsibility to the company.
    5. When he was officially fired, they said he can file a grievance, and told him not to get a lawyer because it would only prolong the process.
    6. He was paid well for what he did, new employees earn probably 50-60% of his salary and are on a new benefit/leave system.
    7. After failing the first test, he immediately went to a local urgent care and paid out of pocket for another test, it was negative.

    If you ask me, they couldn't figure out any other way to get rid of him, so they rigged a drug test to fail. He asked for but hasn't received the paper copy of the test results, nor received the chain of custody report for the handling of the urine sample.

    I think they're banking on him not being able to afford/hire a lawyer to represent himself. There are way too many red flags and I'm pushing him to find a lawyer and inquire about wrongful termination.

    Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Chiteeder
    [link] [comments]

    Brother-in-law started fraudulent Gofundme after my partner died, stole all the proceeds and even sold her car without my knowledge and pocketed the money.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 02:57 PM PDT

    Hi guys, so I'm kind of at the limits of my patience here... First, a quick synopsis: My partner passed away in early 2017 after a lengthy struggle with mental illness. Her brother, despite not having any real contact with her during the last 7 years of her life (by her choice, not his) was present at her final moments with myself as I figured at her death bed wasn't the time to perpetuate long standing grudges and despite their issues he deserved to be there with her at the end.

    After she passed, we discussed the future and, after a discussion between the two of us, he elected to start a gofundme in her name under the pretense of raising money for the immediate assistance of myself and the our two young children that she left behind.

    Although I personally find the concept of cash for condolences to be a bit tacky and found it odd that he'd want to start immediately banging around the donation tin, I acquiesced and let him create the fund.

    During the campaign, he raised around 9 or so thousand from friends and family, as well as pocketing cash handed to him at the funeral itself (her hometown has a large Italian population and apparently that is the norm?) and from selling her vehicle, despite promising not to do so without discussion with me as he had no legal right to do so and I was her only stated next of Kin.

    Once the campaign had concluded, he and I entered into discussion as to how the Money would be Used, at which point he decided that, despite previous agreements and what he had initially stated on the gofundme, that he was now going to awkwardly insert himself into our fiscal matters and put the money into a fund for the children to access when they turn 18. He then amended the gofundme page from the original intention to reflect this change, which understandably upset some of those who donated thinking it would go to help the family during the time of struggle rather than go towards some arbitrary fund for the future.

    Despite ostensibly being to immediately assist us with the funeral costs and the like, I agreed to the creation of a fund on the sole condition that, if he insisted on retaining some element of control regarding the fund, then we BOTH get established as signatories, so to alleviate whatever concerns he had that I wouldn't use the money in a matter that he didn't agree with and, conversely, he wouldn't be able to do the same, as both of us would need to sign for anything.

    He refused to give me any signatory power, despite me pointing out that by doing so would protect the fund from anyone being able to just dip in at their convenience, and after lengthy arguments it became clear that he never had any real intention of even creating the fund, despite his claims.

    He demanded to be the sole person in charge, despite having nothing to do with either myself or my children's lives up to this point, and the entire thing felt disingenuous and a way for him to try and retain power, as I couldn't see why, for both of our peace of mind, he wouldn't have myself, the children's only surviving guardian, involved in their fiscal fund at all, unless he intended to use the money for purposes other than what he was stating.

    Long story short, I told the cockwomble to jog on and messaged those people that I could who had donated to pull their money out while they could and to keep it for themselves, of which about 3000 was removed from the gofundme in response.

    However, with the 5000 or so left, he, promising to create a trust fund, absconded with the money and, to this day has never created any fund, particularly as he has no legal right to and doesn't even know my the dates of birth or full names of either of my children. He also, as mentioned above, sold my partners car without my permission and kept the money, despite me possessing the only title of ownership for said vehicle.

    Disgusted, I pursued what legal avenues were available to me, but after reporting the case to the gofundme campaign to ACORN, the Australian cybercrimes division, I, after nearly a year and a half, have received notice that the acts he committed by obtaining funds through deceptive measures, somehow doesn't constitute fraud as clear intent can't be established.

    In regards to the stolen car being sold off, I reported this to local authorities and was told that, as the property was considered part of a deceased estate, my only recourse was to pursue the matter in civil court as it didn't constitute a criminal offence, despite the fact that this fucking jizz stain literally stole the vehicle and sold it for his own profit.

    I don't profess to know all of the intricacies of the law, indeed it's extremely convoluted, but in my eyes both acts are clearly cases of theft and profiting due to deception and fraudulent means, yet I'm basically told to eat shit and smile while I'm doing so by any law enforcement agency I've reported it to.

    So, I'm curious if there is anything at all I can do or if I have been misinformed in some manner, as I frequently see people getting caught running gofundme scams yet this douchenozzle has got away with it seemingly scot free.

    I don't care about the money at all, but I do care about justice and feel that it hasn't been served here; basically, from what I've been told, you can create fake gofundme campaigns and sell a deceased person's property out from under their surviving next of kin without any legal ramifications, which just doesn't sound right by any conception.

    So, do I have any alternate avenues in which I can approach this situation? It's been going on 3 and a half years now and I just feel that the legal system has let myself and my children down whilst literally rewarding the perpetrator with funds acquired under false pretense and off of selling stolen property.

    Apologies for the extremely long post; I'm located in Australia, if that affects anything.

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/Womprapist
    [link] [comments]

    Car blew a head gasket on the highway. Now I'm failing background checks.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 12:10 AM PDT

    Two years ago, my car blew a head gasket while I was in a construction zone. I had no chance to pull over for 2 miles. When I did pull over, the engine was on fire. My entire car melted on the side of the road. There was no collision, I handled it as well as I could given the circumstances.

    Now, I fail background checks because I have an "accident with property damage" on file with the DMV.
    The only property I damaged was my own car. Unless they're counting scraping melted car off of the highway shoulder.

    My question is: Can I do anything about this? It doesn't seem fair to have something that was completely out of my hands affect my livelihood like this. (Not to mention the salt being poured directly into the wound of losing my own car 😒)

    Edit: I live in NY

    submitted by /u/PlainRamenNoodles
    [link] [comments]

    I purchased some furniture and never received it due to covid 19, store does not want to issue a refund

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    I purchased several pieces of furniture from a big furniture company over 4 months ago. A few weeks after making my purchase I received a call from their shipping department saying that shipping would be put on hold due to covid-19. I'm disabled and immune compromised, so I understood since safety is a priority for me. I never received a new shipping date from them. After 4 months of not hearing anything back from them and having still not received any furniture, I called the company's customer service number to request that they cancel my order so I could get a refund. They said that I would have to speak with the store that I purchased it at, and that the store was now open (even though I had never heard back from them), and they would put my call through to them. I ended up speaking with the person who sold me the furniture and was told that they can not issue me a return or refund because I purchased some items that are final sale. They also said that they were waiting for Me to contact them to set up a new shipping date (which I was never told to do), and added that they could ship the furniture this week. My state just had a record high number of covid 19 cases, so as an immune compromised person I do not want to have anyone come to my home now. I told them this, and that I wished to cancel my order and get a refund instead since I never received any items after many months and was never offered a new shipping date when they originally stopped the shipment. They said that they had been shut down for 2 months due to covid 19 as a way of explaining this, but that just shows that they have been open for 2 months and have not reached out in any way to contact me during that time. Before calling them, I looked up what to do if you are billed for merchandise that you never received at the Federal Trade Commission website for consumer information, because I was unsure about what to do with this situation.

    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0221-billed-merchandise-you-never-received

    The Federal Trade Commission says that if a new shipping date is not offered in a month (it was not), and merchandise is never received (I never received anything), then a full refund must be issued promptly. I told them this, and where I got this information from, and they said that I would have to speak with a manager who was not in at the moment. I asked when they would be in, and if they could call me back. They said that they would be in tomorrow and that they would leave them a note, but did not know when they would be able to contact me. It honestly seems like they are trying to avoid issuing me a refund. I called my bank/credit card company to see if there was anything I could do in this situation and after explaining everything they said that I could dispute the charge based off the information of this situation. So now they are helping me to dispute the charge, and told me that hopefully it will be resolved soon based off the information from the case, and told me to call them back and let them know if the store decides to issue a refund after all.

    I have never had to dispute a charge before, and have never been in a situation like this, so I am not sure if there is anything else I should do. I'm trying to take the right steps to make sure that I get a full refund for all the furniture I never received, but I worry that the furniture store will not want to comply or will make things difficult in some way. Is there anything else I should do or be aware of?

    Edit to add where I am because a nice bot requested it - I'm in Florida. Basically the epicenter of local government badly handling covid 19

    submitted by /u/Repossessedbatmobile
    [link] [comments]

    A private investigator is telling me my car was in an accident before my ownership and they’d like to download “crash data” [CA]

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    I received several calls from a private investigator who was hired to find me because apparently my car was in an accident prior to my owner ship and they need to download "crash data." I'm skeptical but the PI firm seems legit and so does the engineering company that would be looking at the car. There is no mention of insurance anywhere in this scenario. I bought the car with low miles from a well known second hand dealer. It holds a clean title and there were no accidents on record at the time of purchase.

    The only thing of value I can see getting out of this is learning some history about my car. Otherwise, I'd rather not be involved in whatever this is and am leaning towards declining involvement but thought I'd ask here: Has anyone heard of anything like this? How might this affect me if I choose to decline getting involved?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Ilooovecars
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord refuses to send me an itemized bill.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    My husband and I are going through an eviction due to a job loss during Covid-19. My husband was hired February 27th. He was supposed to start his training class on the 24th of March. We let our leasing office know we would be late on our March rent payment and sent them a letter, and also sent them a letter from our employer. On March 19th his employer told him they were doing a hiring freeze. The issue is they gave us a notice of eviction on March 16th. We live in Oregon and we've been told that Covid-19 eviction laws only apply to those after April 1st.

    We had a trial set for April, but then it was pushed back to July due to Covid. On Friday we are going to trial. Our bill during Covid 19 has gotten pretty high due to job loss. So basically they are evicting us over 1 and a half months rent.

    I sent my leasing office a email asking for them to send me a itemized bill of my account. I have a bunch of different random charges ranging from .51 cents to $74.69 that are not in the lease agreement and they do not state what they're for. I never got a email back, so I called and asked about it and they said "our attorney advised against that" so I said okay well can you send me an email stating that.

    Do they have the legal right to not inform me of what is on my bill?

    submitted by /u/alexeeschrantz
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord Keeps Entering Unit Without Notice or Consent (LA)

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    Last night was the fourth time I've come home from work to find my locks not set as I had left them and with things moved around, doors open that I had left closed, etc. My landlord is the only person with keys, and I know for a fact that she has entered without notice or consent once before in the past, as I was at home taking a nap at the time and woke up to her in my bedroom telling me she thought I wasn't home.

    What can I do? I'm worried that she took pictures and is going to try and get me kicked out. I'm recovering from pneumonia/covid and my place was definitely a huge mess, which is a violation of my lease. But then again, it's also a violation of my lease for her to come in without giving me notice. What are my options here?

    submitted by /u/shake_appeal
    [link] [comments]

    A man tragically lost his life after crashing a CDL vehicle that I sold to him 7 or 8 months ago. My heart is heavy for him and his family.. If something was found to be wrong with the vehicle and that is what caused the accident, could I be sued?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 05:01 PM PDT

    Some random guy just started sending me money and I’m starting to get sketched out

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 05:14 PM PDT

    So a few days ago some dude texted me on instagram (I have 2k followers so my account isn't big or anything), he replied to my story and asked - word for word- "Can I send you money?". I replied "Yeah go on" as a joke and linked my paypal cause I thought he wouldn't but he sent me $80. I continued to talk to him and he started sending more and more ( $600). My paypal doesn't have my card or my real name linked to it. This guy hasn't asked for nudes, claims he's in the military and just wants to "spoil a beautiful girl". But why would a 22 year old guy want to spoil any girl? Is this some scam or?...

    submitted by /u/ludovicababy
    [link] [comments]

    Can my work force me to go into a wasp infested trailer with only a can of RAID for protection?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 09:38 AM PDT

    I am regularly made to go into a small storage container type structure full of dozens of wasps (it is where they nest) and have to search through it for stuff im meant to be finding. I an provided with RAID cans which i use to spray the wasps when they try to attack me but being in the trailer where all the RAID is sprayed for too long makes me feel sick, and the stress of dodging wasps is horrible. I havent been stung yet as i am very careful, but its only a matter of time.

    Can they make me do this? Im in Virginia. If i were to refuse to go into the wasp infested trailer and they fired me would i be able to atleast get unemployment or something?

    They are completely aware of the wasp situation btw and have been for a long time.

    Edit:

    Thanks to everyone who responded with something helpful. I've looked into the various laws, poison dangers, etc. Tomorrow morning i will go to my boss, and tell him i refuse to enter the trailer until the wasps are eradicated. If that isn't acceptable to him i will quit, and report the situation to OSHA, and the pesticide usage people for Virginia. I really don't like the idea of a confrontation about it, but it's the only way to immediately stop being exposed to the poison/wasps.

    I'll also start looking for other work because i know the culture there, and even if it goes well and he allows me to just not enter the area again i know they'll want to be rid of me over it. I'll hopefully be able to just quit and have another job lined up within a few weeks. If he does fire me i have enough saved to be fine while i look for other work.

    Also im going to delete this account i usually do after doing anything that might link it to my irl identity too much, and i think this one has lived long enough. Ill still read through the post if anyone wants to comment something helpful that hasnt been said tho.


    [link] [comments]

    Is my boss legally assaulting me? Did I do the right thing?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 10:58 AM PDT

    New York

    My boss and I have not had the best relationship. I believe he is unethical and I'm not afraid to tell him or his supervisor of his actions. For this reason, our relationship has been tense. But I am stuck between "my boss is a man child" and "my boss assaults me" and I don't know what to do.

    Here is what happened.

    1.) In Feb of this year - his actions got out of control. On two occasions he made the attempt to spread the rumor that I am pregnant - first time was in front of our department. Second time was while I was conducting an interview.

    2.) Within this same week, he decided to throw his water bottle at me in the middle of a department meeting. He does this often when I am at my desk, asks me if I want to play "52 card pickup" and throws random stuff at me. I brush it off when he does it to me while I am at my desk but this what in a department meeting and I felt completely disrespected.

    3.) Minding my own business, I was walking down the hall and I saw him walk down the opposite side. He sees me and proceeds "in my lane" running me into the wall. He then walks away. This is after the fact that I just took time off for a knee injury.

    Since then:

    I have filed a report with HR, spoke to his supervisor multiple occasions and even sought council from our on sight therapist who spoke with our executive. The actions they took against him was forcing him to attend leadership training. That's it. I felt like the way HR handled it was unjust and I have spoke to them multiple times about this. They said that I need to work on communicating to him better.

    Is my boss legally assaulting me or did HR handle it correctly?

    submitted by /u/Olivia740
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend (21) was sexually assaulted by her "Mentor" (57)

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    Atlanta, Georgia

    My girlfriend (21 - I'll call her Sarah) and I met our Junior year of college. We are both ambitious people and made the most of our professional development in college by attending company events, conferences etc. At a conference, Sarah met someone that would enter our lives as her mentor, and later would be somewhat of a mentor to me by association. I'll call this mentor Bobby (Male 57 year old). Bobby calls himself a christian man and is very involved in church with his wife as relationship counselors for newly engaged couples. He is also very successful in his career, sits on millions of dollars and has a lot of connections at big companies. Sarah is very strong in her faith and saw Bobby as a great mentor for her spiritually and in her professional development. They began meeting for lunch and discussing personal growth and overall life goals. Before long, Bobby had gained Sarah and I's trust. He was becoming a mentor to me (when I was around Sarah) but never reached out to me like he did with her. We would come to him with relationship advice and trusted his guidance as a counselor, even though he would favor Sarah's side even when she knew she was wrong.

    Fast forward to us graduating college and starting our careers. Sarah gained gained absolute trust in Bobby and began to see him as a father. Hell, I even looked up to the guy. We were looking somewhere to live in a metro area to be close to work. Bobby lives in a more suburban area away from the metro area, but this didn't stop him from suggesting that we look for apartments in the town he lives. After looking, Sarah decided her favorite apartment was one which was around a mile away from Bobby and his wife's house. I told her that the location was much further away from the metro area, and that it would be mildly inappropriate to move so close to this guy that takes an unusual and eccentric interest in her professional development. After not coming to agreement of a better place to live, Bobby invited her to come sign the lease, and spent 45 minutes on the phone manipulating her into thinking that this was a choice she should make on her own and independent of me. He also suggested she sign the lease and tell me after.

    I lost a lot of trust because of this and told her that he was manipulating her, and wanted her close to him. I also thought the situation was getting creepy, and that he had surpassed me in Sarah's loyalty. I talked to Sarah about this and told her that I'd move in, but we need to limit contact with Bobby because he influences her to do things which are not good for our relationship. She agreed. With all the trust I lost over the signing of the lease, I became hypersensitive to what Sarah was doing and was monitoring her, catching her in little white lies left and right. We constantly fought about my loss of trust in her, and with no where to turn we phoned Bobby, who again took her side. He called me and had a one on one after our joint call, and told me that I needed to work on trust. At this point he would come over when I was not there, and help Sarah set up investment accounts. He would invite Sarah to run in the mornings without me knowing the next few days after my one on one phone call, and would say that I am not the right guy for her and that I may be the devil (lol).

    A couple of days later, he invited Sarah over to have a one on one with him in person. He said that I can't know about it, and that she needed to hide it. When she arrived he had wine ready out back for them to have their talk. He began saying that Im not the guy Sarah should marry, and that I'm not good for her. He mentioned that he normally mentors people in a few areas, and that sexuality was one of them. He said he and Sarah hadn't touched that topic. He then began asking about sex and pushed for details. Bobby insisted that Sarah didn't know what it was like to be pleasured. He suggested that she needed to leave me and masterbate in a special way to release the pain of breaking up with me. Sarah was starting to feel weirded out, but followed him in the house when he said they needed to talk inside and that he would "talk her through what he meant". She asked why they couldn't stay outside, but he insisted, stating that "nothing would happen in there, don't worry". She reluctantly followed and sat down on a couch in his basement. He placed himself right next to her almost touching her. She began to cry about our relationship and said that she needed to pray. He placed his hand on her knee and held her hand- I had seen him do this before in a father-daughter fashion when she was distraught. She didn't think much of it until he reached up her dress and tugged on her spandex. She pulled away and he noted that everything was okay and that she didn't need to worry. She continued crying on the topic about us when she suggested maybe she should meditate about it. "Yes lets meditate!" exclaimed Bob. He forcefully tugged her in and began to kiss her head, cheeks, forehead and then began to position her head as he went in for the lips. Sarah freaked out and said it was getting late and rushed up the stairs and out the door. "Well, goodnight then" mumbled bob as she made her way out.

    Sarah admits Bobby had groomed her and had an agenda the whole time. He was responsible for 90% of the pain points in our relationship, including the problems she felt the need to go to him to. We believe he engineered these predatory moves to groom, gain trust, and isolate her from me.

    Note; This man has been married since college, he is 57. His wife was not in town the night of the incident. Sarah told me what happened a day later and that he was out of our life for good. We also payed the penalty to break our lease to move somewhere else.

    With Bobby's status, wealth, and connections to our employers, we are scared to file a police report for sexual assault. We are also hesitant to even call his wife and tell her. Any advice on what to do moving forward would be nice, as still are inept to wrap our heads around the absurdity of this mans presence in our relationship.

    EDIT: Bobby was Sarah's professor her senior year

    submitted by /u/mikebibby1000
    [link] [comments]

    [WI]Demoted while on maternity leave?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    Basically I just had a baby on 7/1, and have been out since late June due to complications. I just got a conference call from corporate hr and my store manager that they would need to replace me for my position, as I'm in a leadership position and it's too hard to run the store without someone in my position but they could bring me back as a regular team member at the end of August when I was set to return. Which is a $4/hr pay cut. Is this legal? I thought they had to hold my position or is it just a position? Is this constructive dismissal? They didn't give me a choice, just said they hoped I'd understand. I didn't fight it because really, what could I do? Say no and be fired? My short term disability claim is still pending, which is more my doctors office fault than anything, but if I don't come back am I legally on the hook for any pay from STD I might get and at what rate do I now get paid STD, my original wage or the new lower wage? Because the new pay is about 67% of what I was making and 67% of that is pretty much unlivable for me, but is obviously better than 0. I don't intend on going back or want to at this point and will be looking for a new job, but will return for a week or so if I have to. It is a nonprofit organization with 100s of employees if that makes a difference. Thanks

    submitted by /u/oopsahdaisy
    [link] [comments]

    Child abuse, child endangerment

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 04:03 PM PDT

    To start, I have a lawyer. I have contacted the police.

    My lawyer has put in an emergency protection order in behalf of my daughter on Friday, July 10th, however, the judge hasn't even seen the order yet.

    My daughter 3, made me aware that she was being sexually abused by her mothers ex fiancé, and being physically abused by her mother, in May. Long story short, CPS got involved, police were involved, lawyers involved, ect. In the end, because CPS didn't have adequate evidence to charge her mother, and there was a current permanent custody agreement, so I had to return my daughter to her because she covered her ass with a protection order against the ex fiancé, and denied any physical abuse.

    Well, on July 8th she made this post to a Facebook group, (linked below) and I'm at a loss of what to do. Please give me any advice, the courts just re-closed due to the resurgence of COVID.

    Bio Moms post, and comments are blocked in RED.Facebook screenshots

    submitted by /u/throwaway_8197
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord said I can’t live in apartment and that he can’t make repairs if I withhold rent - Philly PA

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    My roof has been leaking since June 4 and landlord sent someone to fix it once, but it still leaked. I told the landlord that if the repairs were not made I would withhold rent because he did not agree to a rent reduction. He told me that if I withheld rent he would not be able to make repairs and that I would not be able to live on the property. He can't do this, right?

    Edit: I know about the escrow process and the landlord has already received a violation from the city - my concern is more with him telling me I'd have to leave the property and telling me he wouldn't be able to make repairs

    submitted by /u/topic_discusser
    [link] [comments]

    Sharps disposable container seen during rental inspection, landlord wants prescription.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    I live in Arkansas. My landlord does inspections of all his properties once a month. Not too big of deal, I keep a clean home. However I was placed on testosterone replacement therapy which involves bi-weekly injections so I have a sharps box to dispose of needles.

    My landlord saw this box along with used needles within so he immediately assumed I was using drugs. I explained why I had it but instead of dropping it he requested to see a prescription. I told him I'm waiting for resupply so I don't have anything to show him. My health is my health. I've never missed rent, I've never complained its weird he's pressing so hard for this.

    Do I have to show him my medicines I take?

    submitted by /u/Max-Powers3
    [link] [comments]

    Purchased a home tenant won’t leave

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    My family purchased a home on February 26 2020 then sold our current home on March 30. The house we purchased was supposed to close on May 7 and our current home closed on June 19. This was supposed to allow the current tenants 60+ days notice to vacate and for my family to stay in our current home while we renovate the house we purchased to a livable condition. The tenants currently living there agreed to leave before the closing date and signed an eviction letter given by the current owner of the home. However, when it came time to close they refused to leave. The owner of the home then filed an eviction with the board but they have suspended all eviction hearings and orders until September. We made an amendment to our agreement and changed the closing date to‪ July 30th 2020‬. We essentially have been homeless for approximately a month now. Our new closing date is 2 weeks away and we are unsure if the tenants are leaving. We don't want to extend the closing date again but we also don't want to walk away because it has been extremely hard finding a home in our price range. Is there anything we could do? We have 3 young children and we run a business out of our home. We are considering purchasing the house with the tenants, if so, could we live in an RV on the property? I appreciate any advice!

    submitted by /u/sarahkbabi
    [link] [comments]

    My brother is dying of cancer and his wife is selling his meds

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 08:44 PM PDT

    My older brother is dying of stage 4 colon cancer. He will literally pass anyday now.

    I went to visit him last week and he was so bad off. Apparently worse than other's had seen him. I found out his wife has not been taking him to chemo, not feeding him, and selling all his meds. She's a huge junkie. She literally texted my grandma "I have the lock box with his meds. Good luck!"

    I went to visit the place where they reside with a newborn and 5 year old. I was crying. It was disgusting. I can't put into words how awful this place was. She apparently leaves the newborn and 5 year old with my brother and parties all night. Rotten foot, dead bugs everywhere, clothes stacked to the ceiling. Meanwhile she goes out with some other guy and leaves my brother who can barely hold his head up with the kids.

    I called CPS that moment. I've never done it before.

    I find out today she took the kids and ran. I'm terrified for them. CPS is apparently looking for them. I'm also scared because apparently she took out a life insurance policy against my brother. I feel she is intentionally letting him suffer to get this money.

    There's no way to contest this, is there? I want the life insurance policy gone but she's his wife so I don't know if it can even happen. How can I help these kids?

    They live in Hattiesburg, MS and I'm in Birmingham, AL.

    submitted by /u/vector78
    [link] [comments]

    A person who said they’d watch dogs did not and one of the dogs is now dead

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    Hello, obligatory not me as either party here, rather people I know and it happened over the past weekend. This is how the story goes. Party A is going away from Thursday through Sunday and they ask party B to watch their dogs (3) for money. When party A returns 1/3 dogs are dead and the others looked malnourished, and when I mean dead, I mean covered in maggots dead left outside at least for 24-48 hours, it was really gross and sad to see it. Party A has camera footage that claims to show Party B only went to the home one time on Thursday to see the dog. Whether or not party B left the dog outside was purposeful or not is still unknown and party B denies any wrong doing stating that they did what was tasked but still gave back the money given from party A. Does party A have any recourse here criminally? Would this just be a civil negligence type claim?

    Edit for location: This occurred in Florida

    submitted by /u/NotRobMcElhenney
    [link] [comments]

    I Don't Have (or Want) Power of Attorney for 85yoa father with dementia

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    My alcoholic father left my sister, mom and me (55/m) when I was in third grade. He's now 85 years old, unable to stand and barely knows who I am. He has been in a nursing home with no assets (medicaid) for 4 years. I have never had medical or financial power of attorney although the nursing home pressured me into signing a "responsible party" document. I have had access to his bank account (only to deposit his small govt check and pay his care facility -- no balance remains), but something glitched in the password/security and I see no way of getting access now except to impersonate him to the bank which I am unwilling to do.

    My sister is disabled, his wives are deceased, and I'm his only remaining relationship. I don't desire to make decisions financial or otherwise for him, but if I don't --- who does?

    The nursing home is asking me to obtain a POA, but everything I read says it will be an expensive ($1k-$2k?) and slow process. I have limited funds myself and I fail to see the benefit for him or me to go thru the process of finding him incompetent (obvious to any observer). I wish him no ill, but am I obligated to be the responsible party?

    He recently bit one of his caregivers and the facility (understandably) threatened to expel him. What would happen to him if I refuse to move him? Am I liable in any way? What are my options? Thanks in advance to anyone with knowledge that can help.

    **sorry... should have included I and facility are both in Texas

    submitted by /u/ParentCareTemp85
    [link] [comments]

    [Louisiana] Questions about potential fraud. We'd prefer to stay on the right side of the law here, any and all advice is appreciated.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    We've lived in this apartment for just over a year, and we've noticed that some of our mail and packages go missing sometimes, and then reappear weeks or months later.

    Generally what happens is, I'll order something from a company like Amazon or Ikea, the mail will come and go, and then the package will be marked "delivered". I wait around 24-48 business hours to see if it's just going to come the next day, and when it doesn't, I call Fedex. Sometimes there's a signature for the delivery that is definitely not my signature. Fedex starts an investigation, and within a week I'll get a call back saying "Fedex doesn't know where your package is, get a refund from the company you bought it from, we'll give you the case number". So I'll call the place I bought it from, and they'll issue a refund. Annoying, but not a huge deal.

    Problem is, anywhere between four weeks and three months later, the package will arrive with no explanation. Most of the time it's just a bar of soap or a shirt or something small, but today we received a package for something pretty expensive we ordered around the end of March, was marked signed for and delivered over a month ago (never happened), and that we eventually got a refund for.

    Because the package eventually arrived, do I legally owe these companies the money for the products? Am I committing fraud by keeping the products? In the future, should I wait six months after it's marked 'delivered' to open an investigation in hopes that one day it'll randomly show up? So far this has happened six or seven times (all but one of those times through Fedex), but this is the first time it's been for something of substantial cost (around $140).

    It's definitely not my intention to scam anyone, but at the same time if Fedex is telling me "we have no idea what happened to your package" I don't want to be out $140 while I wait to see if the package eventually gets here.

    submitted by /u/Repulsive-Divide
    [link] [comments]

    First American Home Warranty has not fixed my AC for 6 weeks and counting

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 04:56 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I live in South New Jersey near Philadelphia.

    So bought a house in winter, heating worked fine. Home Inspector inspected everything and stated the AC was was in working order (he turned on the AC and felt to see if cold air was coming from the vent).

    First summer in this house, weather started to heat up in late May early June. Made my claim with First American on June 4th and to this day my AC is not fixed.

    For temp relief they provided me with $150 for fans/swamp coolers. I ended up getting a small portable AC, but only the one room with the portable AC is usable at a time. I move it to the bedroom at night, living room during the day. I have a small child, a wife and two cats.

    Legally how long do they have to fix this issue before I should start worrying about getting a lawyer? I'm not a litigious person, but I have a small child who is hard to keep in just one room. It's really rough on days in the 90s. And due to the pandemic we can't just be out and about all day.

    Edit: Correction to above, they said they will send a check for $150 for whatever temp relief product I buy, I have not yet received any check.

    submitted by /u/Condition_Ok
    [link] [comments]

    I (29F, American) Married A Mexican, In Mexico. How Do I Get A Divorce?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    We married ten years ago. I haven't been to Mexico in nine. My family keeps telling me that I MUST go to Mexico myself to get my divorce in court, that I CAN'T just have someone represent me--but I'm fairly certain that's untrue, and would love a source that isn't literally my husband's word. I know the means to get a divorce is out there, I just honestly have no idea where to start. I don't want to wait until I want to remarry, or let this weigh on me any longer--it's been a literal decade and I hate that I'm still tied to him. Any advice on what I can/should do will be appreciated immeasurably.

    Some details that may be relevant, from what I know of legal things:

    -We married in Oaxaca, state of Oaxaca.

    -He was going to apply for a green card, but I broke up with him before he could.

    -I can speak and comprehend some Spanish, but not enough for understanding legalese without help. (I can barely do that in English)

    -I have been asked many times in my life if the marriage was possibly faked or illegal, since I was young and extremely naive, so I'll say this: I remember running around Oaxaca to different state/government buildings, assembling forms for our marriage license. We married at some sort of group marriage thing that married around 30 other couples at the exact same time. My memory's foggy, but as far as I can tell, it's a legal and binding marriage.

    -I vaguely remember bringing a copy of the marriage certificate here to the states. I don't know where it is, but my best guess is it's at my parents. Things are strained with them right now, and if I asked for it I'd say there's a 50/50 chance I'll get a hold of it with no issues, assuming it's still there. I don't know if I'd need it, at this point, so I haven't bothered.

    -For a lot of reasons, I refuse to go to Mexico. Specifically, anywhere near my husband.

    submitted by /u/scaredofmyfamily
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor is harassing me because I got chickens, and I think he's trying to poison them.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    Hi all, need advice. I've been wanting chickens for about a year, and decided to get a small backyard flock in May. I researched all the ordinances, and I am allowed to have chickens in my city (Chicago), even roosters. I have to abide by ordinances related to noise, coop construction, pest & smell management, and humane treatment of my animals, and I am not in violation of any of the above. I got my chicks from a breeder because she gave a sex guarantee, so if any turned out to be roosters, I could exchange them.

    I told my neighbors I was getting chickens, and told them "If any issues arise related to noise, smell, vermin or anything, please let me know so I can address it quickly". That was May 16th, the day before I got 4 chicks, who lived on my house in a chick brooder for the next 7 weeks. Neighbor wife seemed apprehensive but I'd thought I'd done my job opening the lines of communication. Our houses are pretty close together, and the coop is in my side yard, the fence is chain link.

    Early June my boyfriend and I are outside building the coop, and the husband neighbor comes out and starts reading me the riot act saying it was going to be noisy smelly, calling me a bad neighbor, and totally bitched me out while wearing a "my rights don't stop at your feelings" shirt. I felt very threatened, and proceeded to install security cameras on that side of my property.

    He proceeded to hang a wierd lantern in the bush by my coop, and blasted his radio from a 2nd story window with the speakers facing outward right at my house. He usually turns it off by 9:00, but he'll do it all day long, and it goes right into my bedroom and dining room. He also has been leaving a bedroom light on on his 2nd floor and it shines into my bedroom.

    It was mostly calm until I put the chicks in the coop on July 5th. The next night, there were five more solar lights placed by my coop. The lights don't bother the birds, help me see the coop better on the security cam at night, and likely deter predators, but he's putting them there just to intimidate me.

    One of my chickens decided to start crowing shortly after we moved them to the coop. I needed to schedule the return with my breeder, and that bird got swapped out July 11th. No more crowing, and the rest of the girls are quiet, much quieter than the songbirds, airplanes (I'm in the flight path for O'Hare), cicadas, barking dogs, lawnmowers, fireworks, etc. Neighbor never said anything about it.

    I heard him spraying RAID pesticide yard fog in the yard a few days ago, and started to worry about him spraying it by my coop. Birds are pretty sensitive to toxic fumes and chemicals, and now I worry for their safety. Today I was out feeding them and giving them treats, and he starts spraying RAID in his backyard, and then came down the walkway spraying it by my chickens. I said "NAME, can you please not spray that near my Chickens, it's toxic". He started ranting about how there was a squirrel with the plague in Colorado, how he's always sprayed it there (not that I've ever seen it before), how my chickens are causing him breathing problems (which I don't believe, and if it's true is probably more exacerbated by the RAID than my chickens) and that I need to move my coop to other side of the house (I can't there's no room on that side). I have most of the conversation on audio/video surveillance.

    I know he's harassing me, but he's doing it in ways that are subtle enough that I don't know if I have a case. I'm also hesitant to bring it to law enforcement or a lawyer because I'm afraid that will enrage him further and put me in more danger. I'm a single mom, and an abuse survivor so his behavior is VERY triggering. My mother and two kids live (7 & 5) live with me. My family and my animals have a right to security, my chickens aren't causing them any real impact. I think they're mad I didn't get their permission to get the Chickens, but even if they my parents age (60's), I'm not their kid. As far as I can tell I'm not doing anything wrong, and I can't afford 100 foot long Privacy fence right now, but I feel bullied, harassed, and unsafe. All his weird behavior is documented. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/resilientspirit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment