• Breaking News

    Monday, July 13, 2020

    Legal Advice - I’m 24 years old, and I need to make a will. I have no idea how to do it or who to contact.

    Legal Advice - I’m 24 years old, and I need to make a will. I have no idea how to do it or who to contact.


    I’m 24 years old, and I need to make a will. I have no idea how to do it or who to contact.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 07:30 AM PDT

    I apologize if this formatting is weird or I'm at the wrong place. I don't really use Reddit often.

    I'm an American, and as most of you know, the virus situation is definitely not under control. I'm a teacher at a school in Indiana, and our schools have decided to open anyway. Starting in early August, I will be going from social isolation to direct contact with 150+ people every day. We've been told that because there's no law saying students have to wear masks, we can suggest that they wear them, but we can't enforce it. The school will be "fully back to normal." We will have full class sizes, regular curriculum, regular interaction.

    If I go back to school, I am 99% sure I'll get sick. Every year when we go back to school, the first two weeks I pick up a cold, flu, strep, whatever the kids are carrying. I know that there's a massive chance I get COVID-19. It's possible I'll die once I go back to work.

    I'm only 24 years old, but I feel like I need to make a will. My partner and I recently bought a house (also in Indiana), and I want to make sure (because we aren't married) it goes to him instead of my parents. Our title is joint tenants with rights of survival, so I think it should, but I also want to leave him my belongings and savings to help maintain and care for our house and our dog. If I were to die, I think my parents would be respectful, but I know that grief can do weird things to people, so I want a formal document.

    I would like advice on what steps I can take. An easy, fast, and inexpensive route is what would be best. I don't have much stuff, and I don't have any children. I just need something simple and legally binding.

    Edit: I edited the post to say that I was in Indiana. Sorry for any confusion!

    Edit number two: I don't have notifications set up for Reddit (like I said, I don't use it often), and when I opened the app things had gone pretty crazy here. The post is now locked (I didn't do it), but I'll follow up and add commentary since I'm still getting some messages.

    I have gotten several messages with concerns for my safety. I appreciate them! I won't elaborate on this because I'm pretty sure this post was locked due to COVID talk, and there's some great advice in the comments, so I don't want it to get deleted.

    My partner and I have been reading your responses and taking notes! We plan to discuss our options over burritos tonight. We definitely will talk with a lawyer to create our wills. We also will be updating our life insurance beneficiaries (they were set to family members because we just officially moved in together when we got our house).

    Thank you for all of your advice and patience!

    submitted by /u/allofthesearetaken_
    [link] [comments]

    My wife quit her job today after Payment Protection has ended, her boss says it’s fraudulent

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 08:57 AM PDT

    My wife has been working at a Marketing firm in Kansas, (we live in MO) she started only about a month before lockdowns for COVID happened, the company had to shut down as it was mostly store based sales so the boss applied for and got approved for payment protection. It ended last week and my wife wanted to quit for a while as the job was not what she wanted to do and she just generally disliked working there. When telling her boss she was quitting, her boss apparently got a little angry and told her it was basically fraudulent for her to accept the payment protection and then choose not to continue working so soon after it ended. Wife is now upset thinking she could get sued for the money she received during payment protection. Is it fraudulent? Can her boss come after her for anything?

    Also, it was never the intention to quit when the protection ended, better opportunities just happened to arise.

    Thanks everyone, she is feeling way more comfortable with her decision now!

    submitted by /u/The-Bad-Mitten
    [link] [comments]

    Bank of America is holding my deceased parent's account hostage... because BofA doesn't have written authorization from a dead person.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    EDIT: Forgot to include, I'm in California. Parent's mailing address was South Dakota (permanent RV'er), living and died in California.

    Just to get this out of the way up front:

    • Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask
    • Yes, I've already filed a complaint with CFPB (no one responded, they simply marked the complaint as completed despite no resolution)
    • Yes, banks are the worst (everyone should use a Credit Union when possible)

    My only parent died unexpectedly in February from cancer, leaving me as the executor of the estate. Most of the accounts (401k, IRA, Life Insurance, ...) were fine to settle and get transferred appropriately to my sibling and me. The checking account at Bank of America is proving impossible to close.

    In early April, after the mandatory waiting period after the death, I presented a death certificate and a notarized copy of a will to BofA in person at a branch. After two hours in the branch, I was told that they could not close the account and that they would mail me paperwork to fill out. They didn't.

    I called to follow up on the paperwork and was told they could not speak to me about the account and to continue waiting. I knew the CFPB could help in cases like this, so I submitted a complaint later in April. After an initial acknowledgement of the complaint, I waited 3 weeks for any contact - messages went unanswered and no email was provided. On the day before one month would have passed, at 7PM Eastern, I get a notification from CFPB that BofA responded. Their response started with:

    Our customers' privacy is a top priority. Due to customer privacy laws and our own strict privacy policy, we can provide customer account information only to our customers and third parties that our customers have authorized to receive information. Since we do not have such written authorization from our customer for you, we are unable to provide you with any information at this time.

    They included two things as being required to close the account:

    1. Death certificate of my parent's spouse (who allegedly was on the account)
    2. Small estate affidavit

    I have since provided each of these, and despite numerous calls I have been passed around to different people in the "Estate Servicing" department and promised calls back and paperwork. BofA has continuously failed to live up to their commitments.

    What sort of legal recourse do I have to get BofA to do their jobs and close the account? What kind of lawyer should I even seek out?

    I have my parent's medical bills to pay for, and it's seemingly impossible for Bank of America to do anything.

    submitted by /u/She_Said_Burlap
    [link] [comments]

    Boyfriend's (18) parents saying the church can charge him for dating me (17)

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    EDIT: I've talked to his parents. Turns out they're just extremely paranoid and know there's like a zero percent chance of anything happening, they'd just rather not take any chances of bad publicity in the community by him getting excommunicated according to the "church laws." They badly explained it.

    Me and my boyfriend recently started dating. He's 8 months older than me. He was supposed to graduate in the same year as me and went to my school, but graduated early. I turn 18 in less than a month.

    I've looked into all Indiana laws about this and made sure it's legal, which I was 99% sure it was. But he's a youth leader at the church here, and his parents are telling him that "the church regulations override state laws." So if the pastor doesn't like it, he could still press charges and get him registered as a sex offender because I'm not 18. We haven't had sex.

    I tried to look up anything about this but haven't found anything. Once I'm 18 his parents said I could come back so it's not too big of a deal, but they made him choose me or the church. It feels like a test because I overheard them talking about how if I really liked him we'd "survive" the month and I'd encourage him to keep going to church. Can church regulations really override state laws???

    EDIT: His parents are not religious or a part of the church. They've actually spoken about being against organized religion. My youth pastor was iffy on the non-monogamous relationship that this is, but overall told my boyfriend he'd support him. He said it would be best to keep it closed until I'm officially not a youth, but never threatened legal action. His parents are the ones claiming he could be charged. Before all this they'd also claiming he could be charged simply for dating me. Once that was debunked they moved onto this. They've always spoken about how much they like me and how they don't want us to break up, but swore up and down this legal thing was true.

    submitted by /u/legalthrowawway
    [link] [comments]

    My girlfriend was riding her horse and got hit by a car and killed the horse. Will the drivers insurance cover the cost of the horse as well as the vet bill?. Happened in Ireland.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    Hi this just happened a few hours ago but I thought I'd see if anyone can give me some advice. Luckily my girlfriend had no serious injuries. She was riding riding her horse from our field to our yard (3-5 min walk) and a driver of a 4x4 with cattle trailer tried to overtake the horse and rider on a narrow straight single lane road at a high speed My girlfriend managed to swerve off to the left to get out of the way but there was a telegraph pole and the horse hit it and fell backwards and processed to get hit by the cattle trailer. Horse suffered major injuries and was treated by a vet within 10 minutes of incident and he arrived and instantly said the horse wouldn't make it. We now have a bill for the vet as well as the horse removal company. We were very emotionally attached to the horse and my girlfriend is very upset, but also a bit shocked as she could have easily died if she didn't fall that way . I watched the whole thing from about 10ft away and I'm still a bit shaken.

    I phoned the police to report the incident and they told me to give a report tomorrow at the station. I got all the drivers info , and reg plate.

    Does anyone have any advice just on what I should do next ?

    submitted by /u/mrmeeper41
    [link] [comments]

    Someone has been vandalizing my car, last night I recorded them doing it, but the police in my town are currently too busy to deal with it. I want to confront them. Michigan

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    So recently there has been a string of vandalizing and theft around the city I reside in. Someone has been going around slashing car tires, stealing catylic converters, and keying people's cars, mine included. This person has not been caught and many people have filed police reports on them. Last night before I was leaving to head off to work I saw him in the parkinf lot standing near my car looking at it. I waited and watched through the window and sure enough after a few minutes he began keying it. I wanted to confront him, but I didn't know lawfully if I could take my gun out to do so because I don't want to be charged with brandishing or assualt. Ive recorded him and taken the video to the police who just stated they are too busy to deal with it. He comes back nightly and I want to confront him. Now his current course of actions do not threaten anyone's lives, but are causing an issue. Would it be legal to confront him with my gun and call the police?

    submitted by /u/Vaders_Fist_501
    [link] [comments]

    My boss follows me at work while he is not working. Is this legal?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 06:09 PM PDT

    I live in Iowa, and work security for a college. Currently, due to covid, we're working two man, five day shifts, and my boss is on the opposite rotation as me. On his days off (my days on), he follows me and the other guy I work with in his personal car and watches us for most of our shift. I also believe he drives by my house. Is this legal to do? He's not salaried or otherwise "on the clock" during these sessions, he's doing it entirely on his own time.

    submitted by /u/pppppjjjjkkkkk
    [link] [comments]

    (NE) Small business I work for got approved for PPP loan, paid us a certain way, and now they are taking $800 off out checks because it's money they didn't have. Can they do that?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 08:33 AM PDT

    I work for a small business that got approved for the loan for the pandemic and they paid us more then we usually were used to. A month after now they are taking $800 off our paychecks because and I quote "it's money they didn't have". What can I do? Is there anything I can even do?

    Edit: Thank you so much to everyone that responded! So I did report them to the state but they said since it concerned the PPP loan that it was a federal matter. I will call tomorrow to submit a wage complaint.

    submitted by /u/rory68
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment complex letting strangers access PII

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    So I just moved into a new apartment complex and because of Covid part of the application process is an online verification of your ID. The leasing office sent me a link, username, and password to do the verification. Here is the kicker the credentials they gave me is for the leasing manager's login so I was able to see EVERY tenants'/potential tenants' info including scanned copies of their drivers licenses. I eventually got my ID verified and told them I was uncomfortable with my private info being easily accessible by any tenant. They told me this was their process for covid but I feel like this has to be violating some data privacy laws. The worst part is all they have to do is enter the preliminary info to get the process started and you get a text and can verify without viewing other people's data.

    submitted by /u/tacocat3112
    [link] [comments]

    I'm 16 and got charged with a felony for possession and I have no idea what to do.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 06:29 PM PDT

    I'm a 16yr old male and I recently got arrested for possession of marijuana and thc wax in tx.(sorry for any mistakes please forgive mobile user)

    some background: I got charged with possession in Colorado at school about a year ago but it was only a misdemeanor and from my understanding was removed after 12 months. I live in a different state normally and I'm only in texas for family matters but should be moving within a month.

    when I was arrested I was in a car with a few young adults around 20 and we got pulled over on the way to a different city. I was asleep until the driver woke me and told me we were getting pulled over. I had bought a 8th of marijuana and 1 gram of marijuana wax. When the cop came up to the window he did the usual license and registration thing and went back to his car. He came back and proceeded to tell us he pulled us over for speeding and had the driver step out. After speaking to the driver for a moment he came to the car and told us he smelt weed and said we would all get to go home and it would be easy if that's all it is and we give it up. I gave him the 8th I had in my pocket after i stepped out. I knew the wax was somewhere and I had no clue if someone else had it and was being quiet or if it was in the car. He searches the car and just finds the wax and he gives me a ticket for the 8th but tells me that the wax is a felony however they dont really put non violent offenders in jail due to covid and gave me a strange paper and told me to just call a number after he files and "finishes the warrant paper work". My questions are what is gonna happen when I call and show up to the police station? What kind of punishment should I expect? is it worth the money for a lawyer, my family could but it would defiantly put some heavy strain on our finances and if it's better to just pled guilty I will.

    TLDR:Charged with thc wax and a 8th of marijuana in tx at 16 but let got with strange paper work and a request to be back to fulfill a warrant of some sort because it is a felony and dont know what to do.

    submitted by /u/Throwaway420858585
    [link] [comments]

    [NYC] My roommate had a violent episode of drug-induced psychosis. How do I break my lease and safely retrieve my belongings?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 08:41 PM PDT

    TL;DR: My roommate has been experiencing violent psychotic episodes and I no longer feel safe in my apartment.

    Last month, I (M22) took over a lease for temporary summer accommodations with two roommates. A few weeks ago, one roommate moved out temporarily to spend the summer out-of-state. In the weeks since, things have totally spiraled out of control.

    Late in the evening a few nights ago, I went downstairs to the kitchen to find my food cleared out of the refrigerator and my roommate (M29, let's call him "John") naked in the living room screaming. I have been aware of my roommate's use of hard drugs before but have never seen him in such an erratic and animalistic state. Immediately, I returned to my bedroom and locked the door. While my roommate has been in our apartment high and incoherent in a few instances before, this is the first instance where I have seen him lash out violently.

    For a period of about six hours, John continued to terrorize our shared living space downstairs, screaming and making animal-like noises. At multiple points, I also heard John rummaging through and throwing cook wear onto the ground. Within that period, I recorded numerous videos with audio of his screams. After consulting with friends and it being so late at night with no other place I could safely go, I realized that my safest course of action was to remain locked in my room until morning. After watching the videos, my friend in medicine hypothesized that my roommate was likely under the influence of PCP or a comparable substance

    At one point, I contacted one of John's friend who has previously exchanged her contact information with me. She pleaded with not to call 911 and tried to reassure me that my roommate would pass out soon. This continued for hours afterwards and she refused to come take of him.

    Early the following morning, after consulting with the city's mental health crisis hotline, I packed a bag with enough of my belongings to survive for a week and vacated the apartment before immediately calling EMS.

    Apparently, when the EMS arrived, John chose to refuse care. Over the course of the following hours, he sent me a string of erratic and aggressive text messages, accusing me of over-reacting to his "sleep disorder" and claiming that I was never unsafe. In those text messages, he went on to say that all his roommates and management have been aware of this issue and that medical attention has never been necessary. The texts and attempted calls went on intermittently for hours to the point where I became extremely uncomfortable and blocked his number.

    Since, I have had no choice but to leave the state and stay with my parents until this is resolved.

    Earlier today, I spoke on the phone with management explaining the circumstances and my desire to break the lease before it ends on August 31st as I no longer feel safe in my living space. They are being totally non-cooperative and only indicated that they would conduct their own investigation. I do not believe they have any desire to advocate for me in this situation. They have claimed that John has been a tenant for two years and has never been a problem for them, despite my roommate himself admitting that management was aware of his "sleep disorder."

    At this point, there are two things I feel I must do:

    1. I would like to break the lease so I am no longer liable for continuing to pay rent. I in no way feel safe in this apartment any longer. However, I am not sure how to go about doing so.
    2. I need to find a way of safely removing the rest of my belongings from the apartment, ideally without any further interaction with John.

    I truly do not know where to go from here. Ideally, I would like to resolve this issue amicably with management, but it is looking increasingly unlikely that will occur. My other (absent) roommate and the man I am subleasing from are also being uncooperative, defending my roommate and trying to claim that I was never truly unsafe. Everything I have witnessed seems to indicate otherwise.

    What is my best course of action at this point?

    submitted by /u/bkhousingcrisis
    [link] [comments]

    [North Carolina] Landlord has taken over 30 days to refund my security deposit after I moved out and is still making deductions from it, implying it's allowed because of COVID-19.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    Location is North Carolina.

    My lease expired on May 31st, the same day I moved out. I still have not received my security deposit refund, and after bugging my landlord about it, finally got the documents for it today. Included is a $75 deduction for "taking out trash and cleaning assigned spaces." I know that I left all of my "assigned spaces" clean, and I have photos of the rooms to prove it.

    I did some research, and from my understanding of NC law (specifically the Tenant Security Deposit Act) if the landlord does not provide the full refund or at least an interim accounting of deductions of the refund within 30 days of the tenant moving out, they forfeit the right to make any deductions at all.

    I asked my landlord to clarify on the deduction and received a reply saying "Because of Covid19 all things were at a stand still. It wasn't until the shelter-in-place order was lifted that I was abel to walk the properties for inspections. Because of this, all deposits are a little late this year."

    This seems to imply that it's ok for them to make a deduction late because they inspected the properties late. The refund form was filled out and signed today despite the form indicating a due date of 6/30/2020, and I have an email from my landlord saying that someone would be moving into my room on June 2, so any inspections that would lead to those figures should have been before that. But if they inspected the properties after June 1 then someone else would have been living in my room and using my "assigned spaces." Wouldn't that void their deductions on my security deposit?

    I know this is only over a $75 deduction and I don't exactly plan on getting a lawyer (especially because I am no longer living in NC) but I wanted to know if I am in the right to put more pressure on my landlord to have the deduction removed? This all seems like baloney tip-toeing around the issue so they can shake me for more money. Any advice would be appreciated.

    EDIT: I have done some research and have discovered that the city-enacted shelter-in-place order was lifted on April 29 in order to enforce the state-wide shelter-in-place order instead, which itself was lifted on May 20. So my landlord said that that was the reason they weren't able to inspect the house after I moved out, but there never was a shelter-in-place order in the first place when my lease expired. So I have photos that show my house was clean, proof that my landlord was lying about the delay in inspecting the house, and the law that explicitly states that they aren't allowed to make any deductions from my security deposit. Hopefully this will end quickly given all my ammo and they just give me the $75 without making me sue them.

    submitted by /u/Mister_AA
    [link] [comments]

    What to do if someone makes false claims about me?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    I'm really hoping someone can give me some insight here. I live in California

    I recently ended a very toxic friendship. Yesterday, my husband walks outside to his car to find this girl who I ended the friendship with and one of her other friends outside of our house standing in our drive way giggling and doing something on their phones (we're in our 30s BTW). He asks them to leave and they do. Today I'm at home and while I'm fixing lunch for my kids my doorbell rings. Outside is the military police and a representative from base housing (we live on a military installation). They let me know they were given a tip that I have more then 2 animals in my home (I only have 1 dog) and that the living conditions of my home were not fit for children to be there. These things are NOT true, I keep a very clean home and my kids and husband are healthy and happy. So, naturally I allow them in.

    The housing representative said he could not tell me who filed the tip (even though I basically already knew who did it). But he did tell me that I could talk to upper management and see if they could tell me anything. The officer who was also at my house said if I needed anything to call him. Housing also said they saw nothing wrong with my living conditions and told me to have a wonderful day.

    I called management at housing and while they never gave me a name, they alluded to who it was. And my suspicion seems pretty spot on.

    I imagine this girl and the same 2 friends she always has with her were some where in the neat distance watching this happen and having a grand old time.

    Anyway, is there anything, legal wise that I can do?? I don't THINK I need to be worried about my safety, but this is stupid. I am worried that this will be a new norm for me and my family.

    submitted by /u/clear1127
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know if it's possible for a child (16) with divorced parents can live with the non-custodial parent for just one year? (Ohio)

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    I think the title speaks for itself. I'm still pretty early into making the decision, but I'm pretty sure I want to live with my mom. My dad's house sucks right now and I feel so much safer and less anxious when I'm at my mom's. The thing is that she lives an hour away from my dad's house and even further away from my current school. So if I did move in with her I'd be attending a different school. I'd just be going for my junior year of high school because I still kind of want to graduate from my current school (it's fine either way though). So I guess overall this is a big "what if" situation? The more I think about it the more I'd be okay with just straight up switching custody. The question still stands, though.

    submitted by /u/chocolatechipa
    [link] [comments]

    Got a call about getting sued for a very old checking account

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    Hi, so I am wondering if it's legal, scam, what to make of it or about it. This is in california. Over 10 years ago I had a checking account with wells fargo with direct deposit. I closed that account many years ago, don't remember much about it but today I received a call from AD solutions saying that I was going to get sued for that account and that there was no statute of limitations because it was federal funds (for being fdic insured) or at least that is what I understood.

    submitted by /u/Licanthrope
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord delinquent on HOA payments for years, all tenants are included in lawsuit, house possibly going for forclosure

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    Okay,

    So I'm not really sure what to do on this one. I want to keep it brief, I will respond to any questions. Going to try and lay this out in bullet format. Bottom line will be, what on earth do I do???

    • Landlord hasn't been paying HOA for years, they voted to foreclose the house.

    • There has been a lien on the house, and I could be wrong but I think the papers said the lien is going into foreclosure?

    • I don't pay HOA as per my contract

    • The fees from this lawsuit were from April 2018, before I moved in

    • Lawsuit mentions everybody living in the house, I was served the papers

    • I have 21 days to respond and I'm not even sure how to respond

    • Landlord has a history of being sued, bounty hunters looking for him, and sometimes it takes me months to get in contact with him. I did find his address at one point, not even the bounty hunters knows his real address.

    Im really worried that I am going to be liable for something that happened before I moved in. I can't pay to break my lease. What happens when they kick my door in and throw me on the street? Will my credit be affected?

    I am in Highlands ranch, in Douglas county, Colorado.

    submitted by /u/rpboutdoors2
    [link] [comments]

    I just got home to excessive mold after a month of being away. I want to terminate my lease and I want my landlord company to reimburse for damaged furniture and pay for my move. Help.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 06:36 AM PDT

    Miami Beach, FL

    I have had minor issues with mold in my unit previously and have alerted my landlord multiple times. My landlord has done the bare minimum to help with the situation (slow to respond, only changed ac filters, etc...)

    I just got home from a month of being away to find mold everywhere. Much worse than ever previously. My AC was turned on the entire time I was away to help with dehumidification.

    Due to my financial situation, and the lack of safety im feeling in a moldy apartment, I want to break my lease. Is there a way I can do so where the landlord company pays for my move, and my mold damaged property?

    I have hired a mold inspection team to come and evaluate my unit.

    What steps should I take?

    submitted by /u/100percentMAMBO
    [link] [comments]

    14m trying to let my dad get custody

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    I'm a 14 boy and my mother has had partial custody over me for my entire life. I've visited my dads on weekends, during the school year, and every other week during the summer. I want my dad to win custody over me, however I'm scared of some of the things she could do, if she wins. 1.- I know that most of my property is hers because she has partial custody over me, but could she take a phone that was legally bought bye my grandma on my dads side if my grandma said it was a gift? Also if I move things over to my dads, could she take them back? 2.my father lives in Florida, In a actual house, and I have my own room, but my mom lives in Georgia, in a trailer, and I share a room with my younger autistic brother, based on the info given could this help my case? Does my father have any specific rights over this case? 3. I know my mother smokes weed, if I provided evidence could this help my case? 4.i know she was supposed to stay in Jacksonville, but moved to Saint Marys anyways, could this also help my case? 5. Are there laws/rights in Georgia or Florida that could help/hurt my case? 6.my mother hasn't taken me to the doctor/dentist in 4+ years, could this also help my case? 7.my father pays for insurance, and child support, could this help our case? 8. I personally wish to live with my dad, could this help our case? 9. My mother hasn't ever really abused me but has smacked me multiple times, could this work in our favor, if I recorded proof of the attack? 10. My mother has clear mental issues, yet, has never sook help, could this also help my case.

    Please help. I really need to know anything I can do to help, if my father goes to court about this.

    submitted by /u/MicJolly101
    [link] [comments]

    Unionizing

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    Just had a short question. We are thinking of unionizing at a hospital I work at and the director is removing the propaganda we post in the break room. I thought we had the legal right to do this if posted during our break and out of the work place?

    Any suggestions? In New Mexico

    submitted by /u/jep777
    [link] [comments]

    Chemical odor in apartment that makes us sick- can we break the lease? [TX]

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 02:17 PM PDT

    Location: TX

    A month ago, a chemical odor appeared in the apartment I share with my partner. Whenever we remain in the apartment for more than 15-30 min, we begin to feel ill (and feel better after leaving), and feel sicker the longer we remain inside. Our property management company and HOA believe the fumes are coming from a sealant that was used to seal ductwork our air comes through. The warning label on this sealant (the property manager sent us a picture) cautions that its vapors are harmful and that it should only be used in well-ventilated areas. It warns of a bunch of scary health effects from long-term over-exposure, and describes symptoms consistent with what my partner and I have experienced (cautioning that if you feel these symptoms, you should leave the area).

    In any case, because of all this we have been living with a relative of mine for the past month (we both work from home). For the most part, the property management company has taken us pretty seriously and have been trying to fix the problem (ex: installing an absorbent, cleaning the ducts). But nothing has worked, and we're beginning to worry that nothing will. Living with my relative, commuting back and forth 3hrs 1-3x per week (to check on whether the smell has gone), and paying rent and electricity on a place we can't even live in with no clear end in sight is getting to feel unsustainable.

    We are starting to wonder what our options are. We signed a pre-lease agreement/lease extension for August 2020-August 2021 in the fall. If things do not resolve soon, we will want to break it without paying any fees or additional rent, and get our deposit back. Ideally, we would also like, at the very least, compensation for the rent we've had to pay while not being able to live in our apartment and compensation for the past month's electricity bill (we've been asked to keep the a/c running much more than we ordinarily would when we're not around in order to air out the vents and dissipate the smell).

    But we're not sure (a) whether we'd be able to break the lease at all, (b) what we'd have to do or prove in order to break it if this issue doesn't resolve, or (c) whether it's realistic to expect compensation regardless of what happens with the lease (would they make our lives harder if we asked for it?).

    Also worth noting is that the property manager and numerous repair persons who have come through do not stay long enough to experience serious symptoms for themselves, and report being unable to smell any odor (though they could smell it the day it first appeared- it just became much weaker after a day or two). I looked this up, and apparently odor detection thresholds can vary significantly from person to person- so I don't think they're lying. Does this complicate things?

    TLDR; Chemical odor in apartment that has persisted for the past month and makes us sick whenever we remain inside. The property management company has been trying to fix it but nothing has worked. Beginning to consider trying to break the lease agreement, and would like advice on whether that (and/or monetary compensation) is possible/realistic, and how to go about doing it. We live in TX.

    submitted by /u/ApartmentFumes
    [link] [comments]

    Is my boss allowed to take a percentage of the tips?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    I work in a small restaurant in CT, USA. There's only one server scheduled a shift. We work the front but our boss also works as if they are our coworker. She takes tables, orders, serves and handles customers.

    For years, we have had no problem with this as we understand that she works just as hard if not more than us servers. She takes about 10% of the tips and the rest goes to our tipping pool.

    We just hired a new server and he is upset that she takes a part of the tips and that she isn't allowed to do that. However, she does do a lot of work and, at times, handles tables by herself where the customers are technically tipping our boss and not the other servers. When it was brought up with some other business issues. The bosses (husband and wife), argue that she should actually taking a larger portion for the amount of work that she does on the floor.

    Is it legal for our employer to take a portion of the tips?

    submitted by /u/anotherguyudontknow
    [link] [comments]

    Mi - can I sell the marital home when husband is MIA?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 09:40 AM PDT

    My husband is an alcoholic. He relapsed in March of 2019, lost his job in October 2020 and spiraled out of control during that time. Many occurrences of odd/dangerous behavior followed. In May, he became increasingly violent towards me. I was granted a PPO (which has yet to be served because he is in hiding) last week. I am able to remain in the house with my daughter per the PPO, once served.

    My husband has told me he never intends to return to the house or come back to the area we live in. He doesn't want to be served and he also believes that he will be dead within 2 months. He has cirrhosis and when he was hospitalized in June, the ER doc told him that was how long he had left if he continues to drink. And he has continued to drink. He isn't functioning well mentally, so I am not certain how true this statement is, but he will no longer answer phone calls or respond to text messages. I only know he is still alive as he is in contact with one friend who, thankfully, keeps me in the loop.

    I have 2 more months of mortgage payments saved. All of our finances are separate with the exception of the house, purchased in both of our names. I can no longer afford this home on my own as it has already eaten most of my savings.

    Can a lawyer help me sell the home without him? What might that look like? And will he be entitled money from the sale? I have made the majority of the mortgage payments over the 4 years we have lived here (I think he paid a portion of 6 months maybe) and all house related bills with the exception of internet/wi-fi and have proof of this. Not sure that makes a difference or not.

    I'm currently looking for a lawyer to help, but none of them do a free consultation and funds are tight considering I have an entire house to run and fix up on my own so I can sell.

    Thank you for any insight you can offer as I try to find a lawyer.

    submitted by /u/iamkendallsmom
    [link] [comments]

    Having a hard time processing the devastating pollution done by a chemical company in the town next to mine.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    Any advice would be helpful. I'm heartbroken. An old woman looking forward to my golden years in my beloved home of over 40 yrs. For most of those years we've enjoyed excellent water. Couple yrs ago a chemical company that makes teflon was discovered to be the source of pollution so bad the next town had to close down one of their wells. It was blamed for making people sick. I assumed it was shut down. Not so. It has now destroyed our water which smells gross and is yellow and brown. There is no remedy for this pollution. They blow this poison in the air and streams into the ground. It's a Belgian company (no doubt the shit's illegal there). Any way I can put it to this company? Get them shut down? I don't even know who's responsible - the company or the heartless municipality? state? I'm in NJ. My town has a class action suit to really put their feet to the fire and make them pay for filters for our houses. 😐 I want them gone!

    submitted by /u/NightOfTheHunter
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment