• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 30, 2020

    Legal Advice - (MA) My elderly father was laid off in a position elimination three weeks ago. 24 hours ago they posted that they are hiring for the same position.

    Legal Advice - (MA) My elderly father was laid off in a position elimination three weeks ago. 24 hours ago they posted that they are hiring for the same position.


    (MA) My elderly father was laid off in a position elimination three weeks ago. 24 hours ago they posted that they are hiring for the same position.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    (Massachusetts)

    Hi all,

    Need a bit of guidance here. I am writing this on behalf of my dad.

    Three weeks ago, he received a call from HR letting him know that he is being laid off due to his position being eliminated. I work in HR, and probed him for a bit more info - he forwarded me the emails from his HR rep, which indicated that about 80 employees were impacted. My dad just turned 65, and the other employees impacted that he is aware of are older.

    I asked him to ask his HR rep for a list of impacted ages and positions. Based on the information provided from him, it seems his HR Dept would be required to send this over according to the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act. The HR rep explained that this wasn't a large-scale layoff, and that each layoff was an individual situation (unsure what this means) and that this was a position elimination. He asked her again through email and she again said no.

    About an hour ago, we saw that his position (incredibly similar yet reworded) was posted. He signed his severance agreement two days ago, and it appears that it was posted immediately following. He has seven days to retract his agreement. If it's relevant, my dad was basically a superstar at his job and received glowing performance reviews.

    Really looking for advice here. My dad is at a loss. Thank you.

    Edit: We will be reaching out to lawyers tomorrow. Thank you to everyone that contributed and continues to contribute, we appreciate all the advice that is coming in. And thank you to the kind soul for the gold, which my dad is ecstatic about (he is not familiar with Reddit) - I let him know that someone liked his post so much that he received a gold medal and he keeps asking me about it. So thank you for making his day, especially during a stressful situation.

    submitted by /u/sootyowl
    [link] [comments]

    Im 18. My parent is withholding my birth certificate, passport, and social security card. I cannot get a drivers license without these, and i cannot get a job. What are my options?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    My mom refuses to give these items to me. There is no way to negotiate with her; she's going through the court system right now and is being mandated to check into some kind of mental hosipal (she was abusive and insane). I start college in two weeks and without them, i cannot get a job. My passport (which she is withholding) is outdated, my driving permit is expired.

    I was told to get a replacement birth certificate, but that is supposedly impossible because according to Illinois law "A valid government issued photo identification (ID) that must be readable and is not expired/out of date (if an ID is not provided, unreadable, or expired, the request will be returned unprocessed)".

    It seems like the process is birth certificate -> passport -> social security card -> renew expired driving permit -> drivers license -> job. Will I (or my dad) have to sue her for these items? What are my options?

    Edit with extra info requested by a comment: I no longer live with my mom, after I called the police on her for attacking my dad sister and I (hence why negotiations are not possible) her place of residence changed to a apartment paid for by my dad. The items are in my parents safety deposit box; my mom is the only one with a key. My driving permit expired in early July of this year.

    submitted by /u/BayoNX19
    [link] [comments]

    [NYC] Landlord claiming he sent my security deposit IN CASH by postal mail to my new address. Three weeks have gone by and I have not received anything. The landlord has texted me that it "sucks to be a little girl like you". What must I do?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 02:54 PM PDT

    My previous landlord is playing games with me and I am very frustrated. I lived in Oswego for a year and have been waiting for my deposit to arrive.

    He claims he sent my deposit in cash through snail mail. He also tells me no, he did not certify it and there is no tracking number. He just dumped money into an envelope and mailed it. He refused to send a money order or a check.

    There is no way this is the legally correct way to do this, right? I never even had a chance to sign anything! You'd think with such a large amount of money you would have a tracking number for this sort of thing.

    submitted by /u/Green_Tourist
    [link] [comments]

    Terminated for a “conflict of interest” that my boss knew about. Now she’s contesting unemployment. Never signed a contract.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 12:59 AM PDT

    I worked for a company that was made up of a non profit as well as an LLC. I was initially hired under the LLC, and signed a contract when I started. 6 months in, my employment was switched to the non profit— no contract signed when switching over. My significant other is in the same field, and my boss hired her as a contractor during my time there. She left when she wasn't able to do the work she was contracted to do due to my boss delaying the project. She explicitly told my boss she was leaving to start her own company, and did. When it actually got off the ground, my boss terminated me for a conflict of interest. I applied for and received unemployment. 4 months later, she's contesting unemployment and it is going to a hearing. I received a packet in the mail of everything she submitted and she photocopied my contract with the Llc to look like it was with the non profit, stating that I signed a contract baring me from engaging in a conflict of interest. Is this fraud on her end? Do I need a lawyer at the hearing?

    Thank you everyone for the helpful replies and support!

    Edit for clarity: in Colorado.

    The LLC and non-profit are two different entities with two different names. Neither owns the other, but they have one shared owner. I have contacted a lawyer but haven't finalized a contract with them. I called unemployment office yesterday and they recommended registering for the hearing but telling the officer that I needed a continuance to retain the legal team, so I think I will go that route.

    Thanks everyone!!

    submitted by /u/MrsHalfWhite
    [link] [comments]

    Man trespasses and harasses me on my own property then cops arrive and fine me $5000

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:06 PM PDT

    I own a property that I do not live at and I only visit a couple of times per year to do yard work and maintenance. The issue happened yesterday when I went to go visit my property and I was doing yard work. At around 7 pm a man comes onto my property with a cellphone camera in hand and started yelling and cursing at me on how this was his land and how I was trespassing. I proceeded to explain to him that I was the owner of this land and that I wanted him to leave my property. He did not comply and started to yell racial slurs and continued to harass me. and my wife. He then proceeded to pick up some of my wife's stuff that she had left on the ground and then throw it. This infuriated me and I threatened him. He then called the cops which I was delighted by as I knew I was not in the wrong. When the cop shows up I explain the story and wanted to have the man leave my property and nothing else. However, the policeman then states that I was uttering threats and I did mischieve over $5000. I am now not allowed to enter my own property and now need to go to court what should I do.

    (This took place in BC, Canada)

    (My wife and I are both Asians while the city is almost all whites)

    submitted by /u/throwaway462759254
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] Friend has been applying for Unemployment Benefits since May but hasn't heard back yet. Calls several agencies daily, but no help. Eviction moratorium ends Aug 20, and she has been told that she will be evicted the next day. She has a child (8yo). What can we do?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 10:42 AM PDT

    I'm sorry if this isn't the right flair or even the right sub for this post.

    Friend, B, lives in upstate NY and does not have a job. She was on worker's comp (from Jan 3 due to a back injury) and was told that her employer was reducing staff because of COVID and was told that there was no immediate need of her return, so she decided not to since kids were returning home (March 16) and she needed to stay home to watch her kid. She claims that she is not on worker's comp. She thinks that she is technically on payroll, since she has not explicitly been fired. Either way, she's not seeing any money from them.

    She had her taxes to uphold her living and she was stretching them out until they ran out in May and that is when she started applying for unemployment benefits.

    B started applying for unemployment benefits through the Department of Labor (DOL) as well as applying to DSS for temporary assistance, SNAP, etc. while waiting for unemployment benefits through DOL. She also applied to a 3rd-party, non-governmental program that offers assistance to tenants and whatnot, but hasn't heard back from them.

    A few days after applying to DOL online, she started calling them multiple times a day, as whenever she navigates through the automated system, once it goes to transfer her she is hung up on. She has tried this on other phones, and other people have called for her, and the same thing happens. The only response she has from DOL is telling her to call the number that she has been calling several times a day, every week day.

    DSS says that she would receive a "drastic reduction" if she doesn't choose child support, and will receive nothing if she isn't claiming unemployment. Even ignoring the latter, she cannot claim child support since her child is the result of rape, and she hasn't been able to get the offender's information since. She claims that she had once been able to get benefits from DSS without choosing child support, but the person with whom she had last spoken on the phone insists that she needs it (even though it should still happen with the "drastic reduction" -- idk what's going on).

    As far as the non-government agency goes, she's been calling them as frequently as DOL/DSS and still hasn't heard anything.

    I believe that I will be able to provide her with housing if anything (although that's not yet a guarantee), but she doesn't use Reddit and I'm not sure how else to help her since I've looked through her NY account through which she applied for the benefits and haven't been able to see anything she hasn't yet told me.

    I apologize in advance for any delays in responding. I may have to wait to get extra information from her in answering certain questions.

    Thank you for your help.

    Edit: Thank you, everybody. I have advised her on all of this. We will see what happens in the coming weeks.

    submitted by /u/paxmlank
    [link] [comments]

    Custodial parent joined military and didn’t tell us, has lied to court about who has custody of our children

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 09:37 AM PDT

    Throwaway because don't want to be identified. On mobile.

    We are in Texas. My husband has shared custody of his 8 year old twins. Their mom has physical custody.

    In May, she informed us that she has moved the kids out of state to live with her mom and she would be joining them end of August after finalizing the sale of her house. We have already contacted an attorney and planned to file for custody in hopes of reaching a better arrangement because of this.

    Today, we learned through social media that BM has enlisted in the military and left for training camp. She has told us nothing about this and is still going along as if she is moving with the kids as stated. Because my husband is ex-military, we know that she is unable to enlist as a single parent without transferring custody of the kids. Obviously, custody was not transferred to us as we were not informed of any of this happening. As far as we know she has not told the court about any of this either, she's only updated her address to her mom's address and told them she was relocating with the kids. We're both pretty upset, she's basically given custody of our kids to someone else and tried to ensure she's still getting child support from us.

    My husband is going to call our lawyer on his lunch break to update him and I'm assuming we will now be filing for emergency custody. I guess I'm just kind of looking for advice or to see if I can get a better idea of what might happen from here. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/throwaway22901004
    [link] [comments]

    Cease and Desist letter from Rolex

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 04:55 PM PDT

    [NY] Hello. A few weeks ago, my friend gifted me a beautiful but cheap watch (the brand was TEVISE). I kept it for a while, but found no use for it and attempted to sell it on eBay as a second-hand for 50 dollars or so (I don't remember). On June, eBay removed it because apparently it infringed Rolex's trademarks on design. I was not aware of that, and eBay told me not to do it again. Today, I received a cease and desist letter from the counsel of Rolex asking me to remove the watch from the website (which was removed weeks ago by the site), return all and any merchandise, provide them with an accounting for the sells (none were made) and pay them $350. The watch listing nowhere mentioned it was a Rolex. I named it according to its actual name of the brand. Do I have to reply to their demands? Do I have to pay them? If I don't, what am I risking? The watch is no longer in my possession, also, and I am broke. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Edit: It was an email* I haven't received physical letter, but the law firm is real.

    Edit 2: The email's sender is legit and not a "scam." I have complied in some of the demands in a sense that eBay had removed my listing. The rest of the demands, except one, do not apply to me, which include sending them an accounting of my sells and sending them the inventory left which infringes the design copyright (the watch is not in my possession). The only major demand that applies is paying them the $350:

    "Make payment to "Rolex Watch U.S.A., Inc." by Cashier's Check, Certified Check or Money Order for all damages and costs incurred by Rolex in connection with your illegal conduct, in the amount of $350 USD."

    submitted by /u/globaldust1
    [link] [comments]

    (IL) My GF burned her hand at work and wanted to file for workers compensation. Boss doesn’t have workers compensation insurance.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    My gf burned her hand with hot water Saturday July 25. Long story short her boss doesn't have workers compensation insurance, and when she asked her boss about this he pretty much wrote her off. The place she works at makes drinks and has other locations within the state, so it's not a huge company but it's not small either. What are her options in this situation?

    submitted by /u/Sufficient_Zombie_98
    [link] [comments]

    Pharmacy has been giving me the wrong prescription for months

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:29 AM PDT

    A couple days ago I (21 F, UT, USA) received a frantic call from my doctor letting me know that the prescription I had asked to refill is not what I had been prescribed. I am supposed to be on Fluoxetine and Lipitor, but three months ago my pharmacist mistyped Lipitor for Lexipro. The pills look the exact same (round and white) so I thought nothing of it (yes, I feel really dumb). My doctor says I have serotonin syndrome. This explains all of the crazy side effects I've been having for months- insomnia, stomach issues, night sweats, and the most hellish, intrusive suicidal ideation and impulses to self harm. My depression seriously has never been worse. I've also had to sleep with saltine crackers on my nightstand due to insane episodes of nausea that occur in the middle of the night. On top of that, for three months I haven't been taking my Lipitor, aka a statin for my heart. This is... bad. As a young adult I'm not really sure what to do, I never thought I'd be in this situation. My mom wants to find an attorney, and I'm having mixed feelings. Should we pursue legal action?

    submitted by /u/coldcashdivine27
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord didn't give my security deposit back and appears to have blocked my number

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 04:58 PM PDT

    In my state (Massachusetts) the landlord is legally required to return a tenant's security deposit within 30 days of the lease ending. It has now been 30 days and definitely no sign of the deposit.

    I texted him today, and after he didn't answer I sent another text that never went through. I tried calling as well, and each call went to voicemail after one ring. I called from my partners phone and it rang a lot longer before going to voicemail, which is what happens when a number is blocked.

    I have reached out to the bar association to try and get a referral for a lawyer, but beyond that I don't know what to do. It's completely absurd to me that he thinks blocking my number would make the problem go away.

    submitted by /u/nortcara
    [link] [comments]

    Teenage daughter is 2/3 of the way through intensive inpatient drug addiction rehabilitation and insurance is refusing to cover the remaining 14 days.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 09:04 AM PDT

    Our daughter came to us at the end of last month to let us know that she needed professional help and did not know where to turn for drug addiction. She had told us she'd been using Xanax, other prescription drugs, and extreme doses of Benadryl to get high.

    We got her into an inpatient rehabilitation facility for teenage girls, and her recovery has thankfully been going well despite her also admitting after a couple weeks there that she had also become addicted to other harder drugs like cocaine, LSD, and had tried heroin. We received a telephone call this morning from the facility stating that they are denying her remaining 14 days of treatment because it is "no longer medically necessary" for her to remain in the program and that she is ready for outpatient treatment. The company was informed that the local area we live in does not offer any sort of outpatient treatment options and that the program she is in is designed to be a full 45 days long. The provider is filing an appeal this afternoon, however if the appeal is denied we will have to pull her from the program by the middle of the afternoon tomorrow. We spoke with her via Zoom meeting with her assigned therapist and she is terrified of relapsing due to missing out on the final two weeks of the program that she is being denied.

    Do we have any legal options that we can pursue to get her the coverage that she will need, or are we simply at the mercy of what the insurance company decides?

    Edit: We are located in South Texas; our insurance is through Blue Cross / Blue Shield of California, and they have been working through a company called Magellan.

    submitted by /u/quattrophile
    [link] [comments]

    Rights as parent of unwed 15 year old new mom

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 01:13 AM PDT

    Alright. Ya'll ready? My best friend of 30 years has a 15 year old daughter "Mia". Mia has a 16 year old boyfriend named "Kole" Mia hid a pregnancy and gave birth a couple of weeks ago. My best friend gave the boyfriend a chance to move in to be with mia and the baby but he was disrespectful, violent to the point he threw a fit and got the cops called and a DHS casr opened (not physical to mia or my friend), he used drugs in the house, wouldn't get a job, was verbally abusive to my friend and Mia but Mia is in love and thinks we know nothing and she has it all figured out. My friend told Kole he cant stay there anymore and bcuz he was kicked out, Mia thinks she has the right to move out to be with him. What are my friends rights in Oklahoma as her mother. I know that Mia has rights and custody of her own baby, but what about rights and custody of herself? And does she have to let the 16 year old boyfriend live in her house?

    ~•°UPDATE YALL°•~ IT'S BEEN A LONG 24 HOURS. Since I posted this morning, I had a one sided conversation with Mia. I told her with lots of colorful words that her mother is my best friend that I didnt care if her mom made her, that it didnt give her the right to talk to or treat my best friend like that and the worst decision she could make for the rest of her life is to call me on my bluff. Told her mom to grab some "courage" and not allow her daughter to destroy her own life and that if she had to, to drag her home kicking and screaming by her hair bcuz nobody on earth can tell her how to parent her daughter and no judge can force her to unground her daughter and let her see this idiot boyfriend. Told boyfriend to get a dna test bcuz just signing an affidavit at 16 doesn't give him automatic paternal rights or visitation and that any contact between now and then he needs to be thankful to my friend for. He started running his mouth on the phone and I told him that I have not given a crap what a 16 year old boy thought about me since I was 16 and he isn't an exception to that. I've spent the day with the my friend and on the phone with law enforcement, DHS (bcuz Kole created an open case prior to this with one of his violent outbursts) and an attorney friend and as I type this, I'm happy to say that my best friends husband is finishing up putting the burglar bars on the outside of her window while Mia is sitting in her bedroom she shares with the baby at my best friends house without a TV, a phone, a computer, a laptop and absolutely no way to contact Kole. Yalls help and advice helped us decide what to do and how to do it so thank you all so so so much for helping us save this little girl from herself. She is mad and hates us now, but one day she will see we did it bcuz we love her and the baby and did what we had to do. So thanks. So much.

    submitted by /u/ThatGirlInOK
    [link] [comments]

    My husband is a real estate agent, but I sold our house (by posting a photo of it on Instagram & person wanted to see it) and buyers didn’t want to use an agent. His employer is now asking for 5% commission. House is (now) in my name, closing is tomorrow.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    My husband is a real estate agent as a side gig. In his employment paperwork, we now know that it says "the purchase or sale of any investment property or personal residence by a sales associate must go through _____ realtors accounting department." He signed this. I sold the house, we transferred it to my name only and the closing is tomorrow. His boss is requesting FIVE percent commission. We wouldn't have sold it for the price we did if we were going to pay commission. Can he swoop in after all documentation is signed and ask for that money? Or can he just fire my husband (I believe he plans to if we don't pay his commission). Edited to add - we are in Iowa.

    submitted by /u/resorttownanddown
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be illegal if I gave my baby up for adoption without my husband’s Permission

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 09:25 AM PDT

    I(24f) have a husband(30m) and a new born child.

    My husband admitted to wanting a child knowing I didn't so he poked holes in his condoms hoping to get me pregnant. When I found out I was he claimed that it must be meant to be since we took all of the precautions we could. I wanted to abort but he got mad and told me that I'm not killing his child.

    When he told me what He did I started crying that he put me through so much pain during the pregnancy and risked my life(almost bled out) instead of finding someone who wants kids. I'm not sure what to do, I need advice

    submitted by /u/throwRAujkolkj
    [link] [comments]

    Brother has sold vehicles we both inherited that are family heirlooms. I wasn't told and really want them back.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 04:03 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    TL;DR

    This is taking place in Georgia, USA. My mother passed away in 2016, naming my grandmother as executor and in the will it states she leaves her property to my brother and me.

    We are just now starting the probate process and Today I learned that my brother has sold a few antique vehicles that have a lot of sentimental value to me. I would do anything in my power to return those vehicles to our family.

    I'm speaking to lawyers in my area Tomorrow to understand if there is anything I can do, looking for advice in the meantime to help me prepare anything I may need (also emotionally for the likely scenario that I will never see these vehicles again, knowing my luck).

    Long Form

    In the will, my grandmother is named executor and she is still living, but in another state. I live in Atlanta, but the property and assets are in south Georgia.

    I drove down to South GA Today to sign a petition to begin the probate process. While I was in the area, my brother told me that he had sold one of the antique cars that my Dad owned. As an aside, my father had 4 antique cars, one was always meant to go to me and another to my brother. My father was a mechanic, so he and my mother grew up driving these cars and ever since I was a little kid he mentioned restoring the one he wanted me to have together.

    My Father passed away in 2005, and my mother passed in 2016. My brother sold one of the antiques (a 1937 Ford Coupe) two years ago without telling me. I did not think much of it, because I have a rather good job and want everyone to be happy, so while it was painful (that car was my father's prize possession.. and he did some very impressive work on it), I didn't speak up.

    I have been saving money to restore the car that was 'meant for me' with my son in the next few years and had intended on keeping it in the family and passing it down. This is literally my dream car.

    So Today, at the end of my trip.. I learned that he had sold it a few months ago to a Family friend. (My dad originally purchased the car from the person my brother sold it to a few months ago). On the top of all of that, he paid $7k for the vehicle, which is a steal (that's the emotional side coming out :| ).

    I can't put into words how much I want this vehicle back in our family.. to put it into perspective, I'm willing to liquidate my investments and reach into my 401k if I have to in order to get it back.

    I got the buyer's phone number from my brother, I know this individual well.. great guy, have known him since I was very young.

    Before I contact anyone or make my intentions known, I really want to know what my options are.. I don't want money, I don't want to sell the vehicle and was never consulted when originally selling it.

    I know most of this is very specific to my situation, the will, and the estate. Just hoping someone out there has any advice for me as I start this painful journey. This is the hill I would pick to die on, my biggest connection to my Father.. and this may sound material.. but is with the two vehicles that my brother has sold and I have been dreaming of restoring them with my son as I had done with my dad when I was growing up.

    Thanks for anyone who put time into reading this, Attorney or otherwise. I appreciate any input. (Should I look for an attorney who specializes in family-law? Anything specific I should mention to help get the ball rolling ? etc)

    submitted by /u/throwla_tough_spot
    [link] [comments]

    My girlfriend tested positive for covid-19 and I might be losing my job.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    So over a week ago my live in girlfriend tested positive for covid. I took a test a few days later and tested negative. My job told me to take two weeks off to quarantine and to file for FMLA. After receiving the paper work from MetLifee I looked for a doctor ( I dont have a primary care doctor but I do have insurance). No one will see me either because I'm covid related or because they say my job is supposed to send them the paperwork. Today I got a call from MetLife saying that I should have been back to work already 7/29 because the last day I worked was 7/16.

    The only problem is I work swing shift and I was on a 7 day break when my girlfriend tested positive. She took her test 7/20 and got her test results back on 7/22. Now MetLife is saying I have to have the paper work filled out by next Monday or my case will not be approved and all the days I have been out will count against me since my last day worked was 7/16 even though i wasn't supposed to be back until 7/24 last Thursday. My job supervisor told me not to come back until 8/9. But MetLife wants me back Monday.

    I cant find a doctor who will even talk to me about my leave of absence. My job only allows five consecutive days off or five points I.e 5 points within a year before you are fired. I don't know what to do if I don't find someone to fill out the papers MetLife sent me by Monday I'm out of a job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am located in South Carolina.

    submitted by /u/user1957
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get a refund from Airbnb

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    So on June 7 2020, my girlfriend booked an airbnb for us in south carolina. The person she rented from was a superhost, and we chose two nights and prepaid a bit over $600.
    The location was a timeshare type unit, but it was a nice condo. We received only one email from the host with information we would need for check in. The day we arrived was July 4th, and we could not get into the location because we didn't have a correct code. We found security, showed them our booking info and everything, and they thought it was weird and they took us to our room - which when we got there, someone was in. The host double booked the room, and we were SOL. We could not reach the host at all, and had to find somewhere else to stay for a night then leave.
    We have tried contacting the host, and they would not answer the phone at all from that day, even til now. Cant reach them at all. Airbnb said theyd refund the $ and had to contact the host, but the person I talked to at airbnb said they couldnt reach the host either. Got an email saying we cant be refunded because "services were delivered"
    Tried having Paypal dispute the money, they cant do anything.
    Do I have any options to get my money back?

    submitted by /u/threwawaymytowel99
    [link] [comments]

    (AZ) Being Harrased and Threatened Over Dog, What Can I Do?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 04:46 PM PDT

    So I am at a loss at what to do here. I have a dog who prefers to be outside. He goes in and out but prefers the outdoors. He has access to food, water, and shade in the form of a shaded wood kennel that has the door taken off with a comfy mat inside. We also have a shaded porch and a sun shade on the side of the porch that has his food and kennel. He is checked on multiple times a day.

    Monday Animal Control/Neighborhood Services came out and said that they had gotten a call that my dog had no shade or water. They saw my dog was fine, and that he had plenty of shade and water. I was informed that even if he was completely outside 24/7 that would be fine as long as he had exactly what he already had which was shade, food, and water. While the officer was talking to me, the woman that made the actually showed up at my house and started to go off on me, saying he was outside all day long and never got food or water and telling ME that I shouldn't have a dog and that I should be thinking of my dog as family(I do). The officer told her to walk away. I was told that if she kept making false calls that they would pursue criminal harrasment charges against her and that she has been warned.

    Tuesday the same officer was back at my house saying someone had complained again about my dogs, but had also mentioned the weeds(which are actually not on my property but outside of it and not my responsibility) so I had to be given a warning to take care of them in 30 days. Ok, fine, I was planning on working on the yard this weekend anyway.

    Now today, I get a call from the same officer that there has been ANOTHER complaint about my dog (who was inside while this call taking place I might add) again saying he has no shade or water. He asked if the dog had water, I said yes and he's not even outside right now, and he said cool. Hopefully I won't have to talk to you again. I think that this is the end of it. About an hour later I start seeing post on local groups with my address and pictures of my house telling people to call animal control on me and that this dog "needed to be saved". These post were FLOODED with people saying "forget animal control, just steal the dog," and "I'll just go open the gate and set it free." Several people indicated that they would be coming by my house tonight to steal my dog themselves and were asking for available foster homes for him, and there were even threats of calling CPS because this was "obviously an indicator of how she treats her kids". I immediately called the police, only to be informed that it wasn't full on doxing because my name wasn't attached and nothing could be done.

    Is there seriously nothing I can have done about this? I am absolutely terrified. I am home alone most of the day with 4 kids. Can no action be taken against the person who is publicly posting my address and encouraging people to steal my dog?

    submitted by /u/strangegurl91
    [link] [comments]

    Former Landlord wants $2,500 for cleaning my last apartment and is taking me to court over it.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    From September 1st, 2015 through September 30, 2019, I lived in a two-bedroom apartment unit with my brother. It was small, about 600 square feet, but pretty nice on the inside. When we moved out we did normal cleaning of the bathroom, shampooed the carpets a few times and cleaned every surface in every room.

    To both of our surprise, a couple of months weeks* later we saw that not only were they keeping our $625 secuirty deposit and $49.53 sewage overpayment, they also wanted an additional $1815.97 to clean the place. Every item listed was wear and tear and was pretty normal for a four year residency. Nothing was broken or had to be fixed or replaced. All was cleaning. The itemized bill was absurd, with $700 for each of the two bedrooms to clean the walls, $350 to clean the dining room walls, $150 to clean the oven, as well as a slew of other outrageous charges including $50 to clean the garage that we never used because it was too small for our vehicles and $10 to replace said garage's lightbulb. There was a total of $320 in charges to clean the carpet that we had already shampooed three times. An item was left in the medicine cabinet, which they charged $30 to clean and remove. Another $50 was charged for the kitchen cabinets having "some scrapes by the handles."

    Even fully cleaning and painting over a wall and making it look brand new should not cost anywhere near that much. They sent us pictures of the dirty walls and carpets as proof but we were not disputing they were dirty as we lived there for four years. We were simply disputing the unbelievable prices they were charging for cleaning up for the next tenant.

    As a result, we decided that we absolutely were not going to pay the bill. We sent and signed a dispute of debt letter to the agency which is pursuing the debt, which they replied to by sending back an itemized list of the debt which we have already seen many times. Now we have a court date set on 08/27. I wonder if they are going to garnish the debt from our wages and am wondering what the best next step is. Contacting a lawyer could easily outweigh that cost very quickly, so I am considering calling to discuss a smaller out-of-court settlement. Any advice would be much appreciated!

    EDIT: I live in Wisconsin.

    submitted by /u/throwawaymessyapt
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor accusing me of hitting her rental car with my car door and wants me to pay $140 fine, is my proof of innocence enough?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    Location is Ohio USA.

    Neighbor accused me of dinging her rental car like stated above. Rental company charged her $140 for the fix and she wants me to pay it. First of all...

    - I've been HEAVILY quarantining and never go out, haven't used my car since last Friday (7/17) and she claims it happened yesterday.

    - I have dashcam footage that shows my car was never turned on that day (it records even if the door is opened but car isn't started). Files clearly show no video but it's easy enough to delete files...so idk if this would be trustworthy evidence really.

    - LASTLY, the BEST part...this is the note the husband left on my car today (7/30):

    "Hi last night you door ding my rental car from Enterprize I just need a name so I can turn it into Enterprize so you and them can work it out. I've got pictures and my brother is a [city] police officer! and the pic match your (scribbled out words) car color and is range of the door when I had it measured! Thanks have good day."

    ...I shit you not, those were the notes EXACT words and spellings...these people are always on some crazy fucking drugs but they are really really nice people too. We chat all the time but I guess they wanted to take their money problems out on someone else, idk. What really bothers me is the fucking part that says his brother is a police officer...that felt like a threat to me and it honestly made me think a child wrote this as a prank.

    What are my options here? Should I just ignore them because they have no way of making me pay for it? Could they win if they wanted to go to small claims court? Or should I be worried about the note? Any help would be appreciated -_-;;

    submitted by /u/TheLady208
    [link] [comments]

    I can’t be my girlfriend’s guarantor and the apartment is going to charge us for a room without giving us said room.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:41 PM PDT

    Hello, I am 23 and my girlfriend is 21. We are both trying to get a living situation together and am trying to get her to live in my current apartment complex. The problem is she doesn't have credit so she needs a guarantor. I thought I made enough but turns out I didn't after having signed the upcoming lease. So we tried to back out and currently they are trying to say that she is legally obligated to pay the lease but will not get the room. I called my dad and he said they legally can't charge us the room and not give us the room. I'm in a rough spot and need advice.

    submitted by /u/BakaBroski
    [link] [comments]

    Extending backyard fence into property that I own but is maintained by HOA

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    My property in Southern California is relatively large for the area at .25 acres but more than half of it is sloped and maintained by the HOA. I planned on extending our backyard fence by 5-10 feet to allow for enough room to add a pool and hot tub. My HOA says that I'm not allowed to extend the fence or touch any of the HOA maintained property and that there is no process to request approval for such a change.

    I'm surprised by how much power the HOA has over the property that I own. I pay the property tax and I would cover all costs related to extending the back yard fence so I don't see what the problem is. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

    submitted by /u/NeedLifeAdvice-TA
    [link] [comments]

    Boss asking me to work for no pay

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I've run into an issue at my job. Today, in a meeting, my boss told me that our company was "out of money" and that I may have to work for the next two months without pay. Obviously, I have no intention of working for no pay, nor can I afford to. My main question is, if this is the case, how do I terminate my job such that I am eligible for unemployment. He never officially called this a "lay-off," and I'm just very uncertain about the process. After some preliminary googling, I saw that I may have to work for no pay for some period before being able to claim unemployment under a lay-off. Any advice or clarification on this topic would be appreciated.

    I am located in SC and my job is remote in NY for reference.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/BillyMays1000
    [link] [comments]

    My apartment complex sent out an updated covid lease agreement. Can I break the lease if I don’t sign the updated one? [TX]

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    So I signed a lease for an apartment for college last year not knowing that it was going to be virtual. I am unable to break the lease. However, my apartment just sent out an updated lease agreement with some covid-19 related stuff on there, such as they are not responsible for protection of covid, etc. I don't agree with one of their terms which says that they are not obligated to report any cases of covid in the building. What would happen if I refuse to sign this updated agreement? Would it still be possible to break the lease? I live in Texas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/SyoDeity
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment