• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 9, 2020

    Legal Advice - (Harris County, Texas) Someone forged my father’s name on the Warranty Deed to his home, transferred the ownership of property to their own name...then sold the property to another family.

    Legal Advice - (Harris County, Texas) Someone forged my father’s name on the Warranty Deed to his home, transferred the ownership of property to their own name...then sold the property to another family.


    (Harris County, Texas) Someone forged my father’s name on the Warranty Deed to his home, transferred the ownership of property to their own name...then sold the property to another family.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 05:36 PM PDT

    As the title says, my 73 year old father's house was stolen by a con man who either stole the physical original deed from my father or used the information provided by online public records search to create his own warranty deed. The con man then forged my father's signature on the "grantor" line (it is obviously a forge, as I have a sample of my dads actual signature from his driver license and it looks completely different) then, after having the deed notarized, filed it as public record. He then turned around and sold the home to another family and apparently pocketed the profit.

    Due to his failing health, my dad had been staying with my brother across town from his house at the time this was going on.

    I live in Colorado, not Texas, so I only found out because my brother (who does still reside in Tx) went by the house one day and saw the family living there. He stopped to ask what they were doing, and they informed him that they had purchased the home for 45k off Facebook Marketplace!

    Alarmed, my brother started looking for the original deed to the house but could not locate it. So he went to county clerk's office and obtained copies of the chain of ownership of the property.

    Sure enough, we could see that someone forged my dads name to gain ownership to the property on 8/2019 and then sold it to a second party in 9/2019. Another interesting thing about this pertains to the notary public. Someone told me that if there is an issue with the notary, it might invalidate the whole transaction so I searched for the notary on the TX Secretary of State website in hopes of filing a complaint. I searched by both full name and notary ID...and cannot seem to find the notary. Is forgery of notary stamps a common thing??? I AM going to call the notary public unit of TX tomorrow to see if I can confirm that this notary is/isn't a real person.

    I know enough to know that I will definitely need to speak to a real estate lawyer...but am wondering if, considering my dad's signature on the deed is forged and the notary public does not seem to exist...does it seem as though I may have a good case here? Would I have a chance in getting the house back? Is something like this going to cost a ton of money? I have some money but not a whole lot.

    My dad has owned his house for 30 years, and I cannot simply let it go.

    Please help!

    submitted by /u/Xtine_Hartley
    [link] [comments]

    Being held responsible for mother's Ohio welfare debt from 1985

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 08:38 AM PDT

    I am trying to find out if this practice is truly legal. In 1985 my mother was receiving welfare. She had my sister and I on her case as her dependents. In 1989 she begin working and did not report this to welfare dept. She was accused of fraud, and was taken to court by ODJFS where she was found guilty and ordered to pay the money back. In 1991 she stopped making payment and missed the required hearings and was taken to jail for the welfare fraud case. After jail she began paying on her case again as ordered. She died of cancer in 2011. As of June 2020 I received a letter from Ohio Job and Family Services stating I am responsible to pay the remaining amount of $4000 for her case because I was on the case with her as a child. I am 42 years old and this is the 1st time I am hearing of this, my grandmother got custody of my sister and I in 1990, so whether or not she owes this money is unbeknowst to me. She had no estate or money when she died. I am trying to find out is this legal?

    submitted by /u/Environmental-Tip-12
    [link] [comments]

    15yo drank liquor from my house when we were not home and without our knowledge or permission.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 10:03 AM PDT

    My son's friend (15yo) drank liquor from my house when my husband and I were not home. I was out of town and my husband had ran an errand leaving my son and his friend (both 15) at home alone for less than an hour. When my husband got home, the 2 boys were playing video games in my son's room. Later the friend walked home where he proceeded to get sick and told his parents he had drank at our house.

    My husband was quite shocked when the friend's father unexpectedly showed up at our house very angry and confrontational. The friend's father accused my husband of serving his minor child alcohol, threatened to call his family in law enforcement and have them come to arrest my husband for supplying alcohol to minors. My son admitted that his friend had consumed some of our liquor while my husband was out. My son said he did not drink with the friend, which my husband was inclined to believe as my son did not show any signs of inebriation. (but he's 15 too so, who knows.)

    In no way shape or form have my husband or I ever condoned, encouraged or even had knowledge of my son, or any other minor drinking alcohol at our home. My husband tried to calmly explain that to the angry father, but unfortunately he was not open to a conversation, continued to yell at and threaten my husband, then tore out of our driveway.

    We are in Texas, and like most people we have an unlocked cabinet in which the liquor is kept. I'd like to understand the laws pertaining to this situation. Are we liable for his son's bad decisions? Are we required to have alcohol in our home under lock and key? I'm inclined to believe the actions of the father were way out of line, but would like advice on the matter.

    submitted by /u/Kristin82929
    [link] [comments]

    US citizen stuck and broke in Canada near end of life; Need help with Will

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    As the title says I am a US citizen currently living in Canada as an international student. I moved here to be with my boyfriend and go to school. The pandemic basically financially ruined me, I ended up getting diagnosed with terminal cancer, and my boyfriend I moved here to be with broke up with me after learning about my cancer. I am all alone here in Canada, and my family in the US has disowned me for being gay, I told mom about terminal cancer and she told me she hopes I rot in hell. I've got less than a month to live.

    Anyways this isn't a pity party for me, I need help with Post death and such. I don't have much to my name, just whats here in my room with me, my gaming PC, some electronics and such, etc. I would like to just will this stuff to my landlords kid as hes pretty nice could use it all, but they're Canadian, I'm US... How does this stuff work? Can you even will something to a citizen of another country?

    As for my body I dont know how to even start with that either, nobody really cares about me so I dont really intend to worry about it much whatever they decide to do with it, but if I should care about it please let me know. I dont want to leave any sort of burden for like my landlord or anyone.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/CuriousRevolution430
    [link] [comments]

    The police are asking my neighbors about my sexual orientation?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 10:04 PM PDT

    US - Indiana

    Okay, so this is a weird one.

    I was out grilling this evening and my neighbor in the apartment next door came out. She's in her late 40's/early 50's and unemployed, so she's at home all day. We chatted for a minute and she randomly asked me if the police had managed to get in contact with me. I was confused and asked why they'd want to. She told me that last week, while I was hiking with a friend, the police showed up and were knocking on my door/peering in my windows.

    They then approached her as she was sitting on her back porch and asked her if she knew me or knew where I was. She said yes she knew me, and that I was probably out hiking (she knows I do this a lot) but didn't know where I would be. They said okay, and then asked her if:

    1) She knew I was gay (I am).

    2) If I was dating anyone (I'm not).

    3) If I have a lot of guys over (I don't).

    She told them she didn't know and that it wasn't their business anyway and to please leave (my neighbor kinda rocks).

    She forgot to mention it to me because she hadn't seen me since, and I got a new phone number so her text to me had bounced back as undeliverable.

    I thanked her for telling me this and then began to panic. WTF? It's weird and I feel strangely violated - like someone is invading my personal life down to how many people I sleep with? Am I a suspect in something? What would've happened if I was home and answered the door alone??

    Who do I contact? Do I get a lawyer? Should I just call the police and ask why/file a complaint?

    Edit: Forgot to include this as relevant information but my friend just told me to add it - I'm currently involved in a lawsuit against my City for an unrelated manner. This lawsuit has been in the local paper multiple times.

    submitted by /u/Egg_Weekly
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor is intentionally placing rat poison on her own unfenced property with the goal of poisoning neighbors pets that get out and find their way to her yard (Allegedly, taken one cats life so far). She claims it is perfectly legal to do so. Is it legal? If it isn't, what steps should I take?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    Where to start. This elderly woman lives down the street a few houses. I was helping my parents move houses and we had just gotten into the neighborhood and began moving in, when we were greeted by our neighbor who we will call L. L was talking about the neighborhood and the such when she brought up the woman in question who we will call S.

    L claims that she was watching the neighbors cat when it managed to get out and escape. L couldn't find the cat so she went over to ask S. As she approached, she saw "mounds" of poison in her front-yard. After asking S if she had seen the cat, S responded with "Ya I found a cat like that dead in my driveway last night so I called some boys to come pick it up and dispose of it." While we technically didn't find the body or have proof that the rat poison killed it, it seems like a fair conclusion... Especially given the next part.

    Sometime later L tells us about her dog managing to get out. L quickly went to check and sure enough her dog was eating the rat poison in S ' s yard. She quickly induced vomiting into the poor puppy for hours and eventually the dog was fine. When confronted S said "Well if she stayed in her yard then nothing would have happened."

    Onto the events of tonight. Three of one of our other neighbors dogs got out and sure enough wandered into S 's property. Luckily L found her before they found the poison but they were lurking in S' s yard. L had an argument with S that ended with some shouting, but the highlights of the argument that we could hear were things like S shouting "I know my legal rights and it is perfectly fine to leave out poison for whatever cats get into my bushes." We called the sheriffs department and they said that that woman is indeed in her right to poison other peoples animals if they get to her yard. I live in the state of Arkansas if that is legally relevant. Is there indeed nothing we can do? We have cats and no leash law here according to my knowledge but this seems like wanton animal cruelty to me.

    TL;DR We were able to verify that scented poison is indeed on her property and she openly admits to leaving it out with the intent to kill neighbors cats and dogs but we want to stop it because it is a cruel way to kill neighbors pets despite the sheriff saying it is indeed legal.

    submitted by /u/InspectorBall
    [link] [comments]

    My car got stolen. Dealership sold me anti-theft tracking software that was faulty or was not turned on by them.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 01:55 PM PDT

    I purchased a brand new Jeep (my first new car) about two years ago. As I am getting ready to sign the papers, the dealership informs me that there is a anti-theft tracking system already installed in the car and it's going to be an additional couple thousand dollars. I was slightly frustrated that they didn't inform me of this additional cost before, but thought I was too deep in the signing process and that it might be worth it.

    Last week I go outside to get in my Jeep to get groceries and realize it has been stolen. I call the police, the dealership, and the anti-theft software company. The anti-theft company tells me that my they have no record of my VIN being associated with them and that it was never turned on by the dealership. The dealership claims that the anti-theft company is at fault. There is very little information about consumer protection on the anti-theft website, it is mostly info about how dealerships can maximize profits by getting customers to install this device.

    I had about 3000$ worth of diving equipment in my car. And about 6000$ of upgrades to my jeep that insurance will not cover.

    I could have tracked my Jeep and recovered it the same day with the help of the police if the tracking software I purchased worked.

    Dealership keeps calling me to offer to write me a check for the cost of the anti theft software they "installed".

    What can I do?

    submitted by /u/dark_pod
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] Father wants to falsely claim me as an employee on a PPP loan, and then give me some of the money from it. He has the capacity to falsify tax documents and my signature. I want no part of this. How can I best document what he is doing so I can protect myself, and can I report him?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 06:44 PM PDT

    On a recent phone call, my father (who lives in a different state - not sure if this matters) told me that he intends to apply for a PPP loan and give me a portion of the money from it. He doesn't actually own a small business, but (somehow) based on the work he does he qualifies as an S-corp for tax purposes. He stated that he plans to list me and some of our family members as his employees/on his payroll for the PPP loan application. None of us work for him - on the contrary, I am currently claiming PUA/PUC due to COVID-19 and having been previously employed by someone else.

    I am worried that, in order to have "evidence" that he employs me for this PPP loan, he will falsify tax documents or job agreements stating I have been employed by him. He has my SSN and access to unrelated documents I have signed digitally. I do not want to get in trouble with the NY DOL or the federal government, and I absolutely want no part in his PPP loan process, which strikes me as fraud. I never consented to having my name included anywhere on the application and have no plan to accept any funds he may receive.

    The specific questions I have are:

    • How should I go about documenting what he is doing in order to best protect myself?

    • What constitutes enough evidence to file a report of PPP fraud to the SBA?

    • If I discover evidence of falsified tax documents in my name, should I tell the NY DOL? I don't want them to revoke my PUA/PUC over a job I never worked that doesn't exist.

    submitted by /u/throwmeawayNY2
    [link] [comments]

    Suspended for using FMLA.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 05:53 AM PDT

    I have an FMLA for my husband(non related to covid ). This past month he went through a rough patch. I was home for over a month caring for him. I had been calling out and doing what is required by my company during this whole period. When I went to return this week, I was unable to get into the building. Security said my badge was suspended. I work a off shift so HR was not available to talk to so I went home. When I awoke I had a certified letter stating that i had been suspended and that they wanted me to contact them. They stated that they had called multiple times ( they never left a message and used a non company number) and sent emails to an address i no longer use ( I had updated it in all our systems about a year ago, I had also contacted them the month previous with the year old updated address and received a response). I'm about to call them on the private cell number they told me to call them on( I know right!!) and was wondering if I should watch out for anything.. they have had a very bad reputation as of late.

    Is it legal for them to suspend me?

    What would my legal course of action be if they escalate and terminate me?

    Thanks for you help!

    Location Maine

    submitted by /u/wellthissuckzorz
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor cut down young trees to do repairs to their home

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    I'll get down to it. Also, this is in Massachusetts.

    My neighbor's lot has ZERO setback. Literally none, the property line between our lots is exactly where the edge of their house is.

    They have had a rotted-out eave on this side of their house, and two days ago, someone was there to fix it. That's great, I've been hoping they'd be able to do that, as they're older and can't do it themselves. But after they left, I realized they cut down maybe 8 or 9 young maple trees on my property, about 3-4 feet from their house, I'm supposing to better access these repairs (better access, not access outright; they definitely could have done it without cutting down these trees). Basically every tree that was trying to grow (which we were hoping to let grow, to replace some of the much, much older trees that may come down or need to come down in coming years, mainly because this area of our yard is a hill, and sandy, and we need the help with soil retention). They also just...left the cut-down trees there. Just a mess of them on our property.

    I'm trying to figure out why they would think that's acceptable. Is there any law that states if a tree is young, and growing, and super close to the property line, with zero setback, that they can do that? I mean I get that 9 large maples 3 feet from their house isn't ideal, but we weren't planning on a free for all, these were very young trees, and we were not planning on letting them all grow without caring for them or considering our neighbors.

    submitted by /u/ohjeeze_louise
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord told me to take my hammock down... publicly

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 07:19 AM PDT

    Hey so I (26m) had something really weird happen.

    I've been having issues with my upstairs neighbours because the guy on the lease signed it last year and then immediately left for 10 months to Europe. So we were left with noisy subletters. Recently he came back and was just as loud as they were, until one day I get a phone call from my landlord who owns the building. Her step daughter was my landlord initially when I moved in and I had never spoken to the building owner.

    When she called she asked me for a copy of our lease, which her step daughter never sent her for some reason. Anyway, we sorted it out and I explained what we'd been going through. She was shocked and spoke to them about it, and afterward they were quieter, finally.

    Anyway, one of the subletters moved out, but the guy on the lease is still hanging on there trying to keep his apartment, even though he'll probably leave as soon as quarantine is over.

    So yesterday I'm in my hammock on my balcony. The hammock is tied to two metal beams under the neighbors balcony. This neighbour comes out onto the balcony stomping around and dragging his furniture and I make a light gesture with my drink to let him know I'm below. Then he proceeds to stomp on purpose, which is obvious by now, to upset me potentially. I make a noise back. He does it again. And so I'm just like fuck this guy and start ignoring him.

    Out of nowhere someone is yelling at me from the street (I'm on the second floor of three story building) and it's the landlord. I'd never met her in person before and it was like she assumed I knew who she was. She tells me that I can't have a hammock on the balcony, even though it's been there for 2 YEARS. Even before I moved in a year ago, my old roommates had the same set up.

    I text her after I take it down and ask why she was so upset and all she says is: "do you have a problem with what I'm telling you"

    I said I didn't necessarily, but she should check google street view of the apartment because it has a photo of the hammock from over a year ago. I don't know what that was about, but is it illegal to have a hammock set up? I feel like the upstairs neighbours messaged her about it out of spite or something. She said she'd never seen it before but it's been on the balcony for the last 4 months. The building is quite old and the upstairs balcony looks like it's falling a part with the wood, so maybe that was her concern? The beams holding it up are thick metal and look extremely stable.

    submitted by /u/needassistanceguy
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord stole the tenant I was transferring my lease to.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    I am a college student and signed a lease for a 1-year contract off-campus housing in Jan before covid-19 and before my school went online.

    Recently, the city passed legislation allowing college students who's schools were moved online to terminate their lease with 30 days notice. The landlords fought back and said that under California Civil Code 1951.2, we need to continue paying rent even after termination until landlord is able to re-rent.

    Given the ordinance, I attempted to terminate my contract for my single-occupancy room due to financial difficulties from covid. My landlord told me she has no responsibility to find someone to replace me, especially because it will be difficult to find renters in this climate and that I need to continue paying rent until I find someone who wants to take over my lease. If they are qualified, and want my room, the landlord will be happy to sign the lease with them. Thus, I advertised on FB groups and messaged over 35 ppl for days. I finally found someone who was interested and wanted to sign MY LEASE based on the tour given virtually to them. I connected them with the landlord and next thing you know, my landlord is renting one of their larger rooms (that they were unable to get ppl to sign before) for the price of my single. Obviously the tenant chose the larger room over mine and signed with the landlord.

    Is there anything I can do since I, myself, found the tenant for MY room and then the landlord took advantage of all the work I did to advertise the complex and my unit. The civil code says the landlord needs to perform reasonable steps to keep financial losses to ME at a minimum, but she has clearly not done that by promoting her empty double room at a discounted price to the tenant (since having someone rent it is better than leaving it empty).

    Someone said that since I found the tenant, who was willing to sign the lease for MY ROOM before they talked to landlord, that I have completed my lease obligations and will not need to pay rent next month. Since the only reason the tenant is renting, is because of my efforts and its not my fault the landlord manipulated the tenant. What should I do? what about if i find another tenant that the landlord will steal from me?

    My lease has no termination clause or buy out fee.

    Thank you for your help. Please remove this post if it does not belong here.

    submitted by /u/always_anxious101
    [link] [comments]

    Waiter contacted me through Facebook after thinking I stiffed him on a tip.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    Today I visited a restaurant with my girlfriend to celebrate our 1-year anniversary. After our meal when we received the check I noticed a 20% gratuity was added automatically to our receipt. There was a line for an "additional tip" but I decided that 20% was more than fair for the service we received and I was taken aback that the gratuity was automatically added, as I had not seen anything that stated there would be in the first place. The waiter found me on Facebook(using my name from the receipt) and sent me the following message before blocking me. "Thanks for stiffing me as the only server on shift during a pandemic, sorry my 3 course service wasn't fast enough in the hour and 15 minutes that you dined with us. Have the weekend you deserve. I was wondering if there was any recourse I could take as A) there was in fact a 20% gratuity already added and I did save my receipt. And B) this employee finding me on facebook to send me a harassing message feels like a massive invasion of my privacy. Thank you for any and all advice! I apologize for formatting/wall of text as this was written on mobile.

    submitted by /u/GoatsyGoat
    [link] [comments]

    Psychological and physical abuse at home

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    English is not my first language, just in case.

    I'm a friend of a 15yo girl that suffers abuses from his father, mother and older sister in that order generally and very often.

    Every day his father goes who knows where and is back at night (Just in time for dinner). It's supposed to be working, but he is not home for much more than 8 hours, and when he is, the only thing that pass through his head is recriminate her because she was "not doing nothing" (She does everything that have to do [And more] when he is not present), then the chain that I've mentioned happens.

    Their parents "want" to divorce but they didn't do anything by now.

    She lives in Córdoba Argentina. If you can give me at least a place to look for information, I'll be very greatful.

    PD: She should take photos of the injuries and record audios right?

    PD2: She reads the National Constitution each year searching for something, so you can tell me about that stuff and I'll tell her

    submitted by /u/MMB_redditor
    [link] [comments]

    Alimony reduction due to COVID

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 06:21 PM PDT

    My husband of two years is ordered to pay 5 more years of alimony to his ex wife. He lost his job due to covid and is unable to replace it. He has no 401k, assets, or savings. All were wiped out in his divorce.

    He was laid off from his job of 10 years right after his divorce in 2018. His alimony was set at $4400 at that time ( based on his highest earning year). He continued to pay $2000 a month until he found a new job, and $3600 once he began work based on our state's support calculator. He only had that job 6 months before he was laid off due to COVID.

    We filed a modification right away. In mediation she said she won't agree to a reduction from the $3600 he pays her. She doesn't want to work or get a part time job so she makes the money stretch as far as she can.

    We are going to court in a month for his modification hearing. He's applied for tons of jobs but with the mass layoffs there are hundreds of applicants for each. It could take him a while to replace his income and we obviously can't afford a $3600 payment.

    Does anyone have an experience getting their alimony modified due to job loss after COVID-19? We know the steps to take to get it modified but have yet to meet anyone that has had success with this. A little encouragement would be nice to hear.

    Thank you 🙏

    submitted by /u/coffegirl1986
    [link] [comments]

    Tenant in my building purposefully dumping bleach on my laundry

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    Hi there. I live in Los Angeles & have been at my apartment for a year. Our building is very small & there is a laundry room with one washer & dryer in the back. As soon as I moved in I was having issues with my laundry being tampered with.

    A few examples: my laundry was taken out of the washer, put in a garbage bag & then hidden behind our large dumpster. Another time my laundry was taken out of the washer & put into the big sink that is in the laundry room & the water was turned on, completely soaking my clothes & they were just left there. That actually happened a couple of times. I will come down when my clothes are supposed to done only to find my wash or drying cycle has manually been stopped - this has actually caused me to be late to work multiple times & made me miss dance classes I paid for where I was not able to get my money back because I wasn't able to cancel in time. These loads I would be doing had my work or dance clothes that are required for my job/class. I'll pay for a drying cycle but come down to see that my clothes were taken out & another's were put into the dryer - basically them stealing my cycle I paid for.

    Each time this has happened I have reported it to management. The woman I dealt with always was sympathetic & promised to pass it on to the "higher ups" with my management company but nothing was done. Eventually they put up signs in the laundry room saying that they were not responsible for anything that happens to our clothes. We got a building-wide email last year letting us know they knew there were issues with laundry being tampered with & they were doing everything they could to fix it, yet nothing happened. I suspected it was the elderly woman because I recognized her clothing when my load was stolen (when she replaced my clothes drying with hers) & because she always was at her window when I went to do my laundry. All of the apartments have large windows on the same side that face outside towards the courtyard, so if you are near the window you can see whoever is coming & going from the back of the building. She is always at her window as her bed is right there. Even though I was almost completely sure it was her, I didn't have any proof.

    Eventually we were told several people from management went to speak to her in an attempt to get her to stop so that is how I finally was able to get confirmation it was her. She actually did stop for a couple of months. During that time I've gotten confirmation from 3 of my neighbors that it really was her & she will watch at her window all day & when someone goes to do their laundry she waits for them to go back inside their apt & then messes with it. They confirmed it's been going on for years & that they all have complained numerous times & it's not exclusive to any one tenant, it's everyone in the building that she messes with.

    So today I went to do my laundry & when I came down to get my clothes they were ruined. It was an almost all darks/black load & someone had dumped bleach all over them. It's about 100+ dollars worth of clothing completely ruined. I do not own bleach so it was not me like getting mixed up with my detergent & I was the first person to use the machine today so it wasn't leftover bleach from some previous load another tenant did. Also the shirt with the most bleach damage shows via the pattern it was 100% poured onto it.

    I of course reported this to my management & sent photos, but I'm at a loss of what to do. The only thing they have done is put up signs saying they aren't responsible & talked to her once. This load of laundry had clothing in it I won't be able to get again & had sentimental meaning. Plus it wasn't cheap stuff! What can I do? Even though I've asked in writing about getting a camera for the laundry room & at our mailboxes, I have no actual proof of her doing it. No video or photos or me catching her in the act. Management has proven useless & I normally would let it go like I have all the other times, but this actually cost me a lot of money. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/uknowwhatimeannn
    [link] [comments]

    I got a Spinal procedure to the wrong disc

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 09:02 AM PDT

    I recently had an epidural to alleviate pain from my L5-S1 disc being misaligned. The notes they sent me home with (which I'm going to ask about at my follow up appointment Monday) indicate that they gave the procedure to my L4-L5 disc instead. The doctor said before the procedure that she knew which disc was the problem and what to do. The pain went down slightly, but not to a significant degree.

    Is there anything in particular I should ask the doctor about to make sure I get the proper treatment? If she tries to double charge me to give the correct epidural (if that's even an option still), do I have any claim to injury? What's necessary for a claim?

    My original surgeon I got my diagnosis with recommended this procedure and didn't have the proper equipment outsourced me to this doctor.

    submitted by /u/Ghostilocks
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] My friend’s parents refuse to list my friend on their Auto-Insurance policy, but still demand that they drive their siblings to school. Do they need non-owner’s insurance?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 09:06 PM PDT

    My friend lives in California, and their parents refuse to list them on their car insurance policy.

    Despite this, my friend's parents demand that my friend drive their siblings to school on a regular basis.

    Refusing to do so is not an option in their current situation, as they are still financially dependent on their parents.

    Is my friend considered uninsured? Are they liable if they get into an accident?

    Should my friend get "non-owner's" insurance to cover themselves, or are they still covered under their parent's insurance while driving the car, despite not being explicitly listed on the policy?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/floppy-oreo
    [link] [comments]

    CA – I am a remote worker and my employer is requesting I come in to the office regularly (100+ miles away). Can I refuse?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    For the past few years I have been working remotely with the same employer. About a year ago, the company was bought out and is under new ownership. I signed a new contract, which acknowledges I work remotely with occasional travel.

    Since the start of 2020, my travel has been about 300% more than is stated in my contract and I have been told that this will not change. I have included an excerpt of my contract below:

    We understand that you live in XXXXX and will work primarily remotely. You have agreed that

    you will be available in XXXXX or other company offices to support client visits,

    special project meetings, etc. and for 1-2 days when I visit. I expect that I will be

    maintaining a schedule of visiting the office every other or every three weeks on average.

    I agreed to a flat reimbursement for the travel stated above. I interpreted visits to equate to approximately 32 days per year (52 weeks / 2.5 weeks * 1.5 days), plus client visits and special projects.

    Well, the owner ended up buying a house locally so he's in town far in excess of our agreement. I have traveled over 70 days this calendar year, excluding client visits & special projects. It's a 225-mile round trip for me each day, and the flat reimbursement we agreed to a year ago doesn't even cover my gas.

    I have brought this excessive travel up on a number of occasions, and there have been no accommodations to normalize my travel.

    I have been told explicitly that this is the new normal. Do I have to keep doing this? I don't want in increase in my reimbursement, I want to go back to the amount of in-person work we agreed to initially. What's crazy is that we're in the middle of a pandemic (and coworkers have tested positive for covid), and my remote position is not being honored.

    What are my rights here? This has reduced my quality of life significantly and I don't want to do it anymore.

    TLDR: Employer has significantly increased my travel demands (approximately 300%), despite acknowledging my remote position. Can I refuse travel without being fired?

    submitted by /u/TheTounPontoon
    [link] [comments]

    Serious threats to my life.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    Hello, my name is George, i am an 18 years old male from Syria.

    Yeah you heard it right, Syria. And before you ask, yes we have internet and we can speak English.

    I'm a Christian (Not a radical one who tells others that they're going to hell, just a normal Christian) and living here within the radical sunni majority is a hell, i was followed by someone two days ago and they attempted to stab me with a sharp kitchen knife.

    I was wondering if there are any ways to escape my country and if there are any organisations, countries, etc... That provides religious refugee status to people of my condition. Also, if anyone knows how much does it cost as my country's economy is going downhill and the maximum salaries here are 40$ a month (Blame the Radical Islamic opposition for that)

    Do i have a chance for survival and a chance to continue my life outside in a country and a society where i can be useful?

    submitted by /u/SyriaIsAHell
    [link] [comments]

    A software company is constantly bothering my engineering company for using an unlicensed copy of their software. But the Gateway MAC address provided, is nowhere to be found in our office.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    We are a family run engineering company specializing in the maritime industry. This software company reached out to us prior to the covid pandemic with allegations stating that one of our computers used pirated copies of their software. The first communications were from the IT Compliance Agency? Whatever the f*** that is.

    Even the manufacturer of the laptop they referenced is not in our inventory. But for some reason, they have one of the email addresses of our company.

    Please advise on how to avoid taking this allegation further. As this was not done by our office or employees.

    submitted by /u/meowingtonchicken
    [link] [comments]

    I am supposed to hand over my new used car tomorrow...

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    Almost two weeks ago I bought a certfied used car from a Toyota dealership. Something funny happened with the registration and they want me to give them the car back so they can fix it. A summary of events below:

    1. Old car in my wife's name had it's title transferred into my name.
    2. Old car was traded into dealer with the title transferred to them.
    3. We did the paperwork for the financing in my name.
    4. We accepted the car in my name.
    5. Today the car shows up in the state RMV system registered in my wifes name.
    6. The financing is in my name but the registration is in my wifes name. Neither of us care whose name is on what, but the dealer seems to think this is an urgent problem that needs to be fixed.
    7. Dealer wants the car back so they can put the registration in my name. They say it has to be in their posession to do this. It will take 3 days to get this sorted.

    This seems very weird to me but I am guessing they screwed up the paperwork after we were off the lot. I feel exposed just handing a car over. What should I do to protect myself?

    EDIT: This is in the USA, state of Massachusetts.

    submitted by /u/GeneJuggler
    [link] [comments]

    Being charged again for last month's rent and my check was altered by someone

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 04:04 PM PDT

    So I moved out of a house I was renting for the last 2 years. When I first signed I agreed to pay 1st month's rent, last month's rent, and a security deposit. I have this agreement in an email and on the lease.

    I recently got billed for the last month's rent and have been trying to contact the leasing office. When I brought up the issue, they sent me a copy of their ledger.

    On the ledger they have the first check written down as "Aug, Sept rent" when it actually was for the 1st and last month. September that year, the ledger showed that I was billed but they didn't show my payment.

    On my banking statement it shows that September that year I sent them a check for rent that they stamped and cashed out. The statement from August that year also shows the check I wrote for the 1st and last month's rent.

    I sent them an email about this with my checks and statements from Aug-Oct as proof (October added to be safe). However, after I sent the email I noticed that my check for that September (the one they don't have on the ledger but did chash out) has part of it written over. On the memo part of my check, I write the address of my apartment that the check was for. On this check it was obviously written over in a different handwriting and ink to a different address. I don't even know anyone who lives on that street and it's not close in spelling or number to my address.

    Should I send them another email about someone tapering with the check? Especially if it's the reason for my payment not being on their ledger, yet has been cashed by them?

    It's been difficult to get a hold of them. They don't really call back and are bad at replying to emails about other issues. The office is closed too, or I would have gone in person.

    So I guess my questions are:

    What do I do if they won't reply?

    If they reply but say I still need to pay, what are my next steps?

    Should I bring up them tampering with my September check? If I do, should I wait for a reply or go for it?

    Thank you! Any advice is super appreciated. Also sorry for the formatting, I'm on mobile

    submitted by /u/Throwawayyourshit157
    [link] [comments]

    [MA] HOA trying to ban marijuana inside and out of units

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 06:58 AM PDT

    Hi, /r/legaladvice! Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe! Okay, so to get straight into it, I live in a condo in Massachusetts (marijuana is legal here). Note, I own the condo and live in it to. My HOA is pretty strict and now they are trying to ban the use of Marijuana both inside the unit and on the grounds of the property, medical use being exempt from the ruling. They are also banning growing of marijuana (which i 100% get, it's a fire hazard and potentially a water hazard depending on your method of growing). And i get banning it on the grounds, such as outside, because i get the smell can be unpleasant. But here is what is getting me, can they really ban the use of marijuana inside my own condo? And do you think I could have some sort of discrimination case against marijuana users? since it is the only type of smoking they are banning.

    I have called several lawyers, one said they don't deal with HOA's, another said it sounded strange but doesn't take marijuana cases but gave me a name of a pretty good firm. But turns out that firm is representing my HOA, so here I am!

    Please let me know if i should put a NSFW tag on this post due to the topic

    Edit: I just want to thank everyone who responded! I had strong feeling that I did not have much to go on. But I really appreciate everyone who responded! You the bestest! Stay safe everyone

    submitted by /u/iWETtheBEDonPURPOSE
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment