• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 23, 2020

    Legal Advice - Utility tree cutter threatened to come onto my property and “cut down all of those maples” [MA]

    Legal Advice - Utility tree cutter threatened to come onto my property and “cut down all of those maples” [MA]


    Utility tree cutter threatened to come onto my property and “cut down all of those maples” [MA]

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    Hi, folks! We received notice last week that the utility tree trimmers would be coming to our region to cut branches near the power lines. We are fine with that and have had that done before for some ill cedars, at our own expense, last year when we moved into our house (which we own). Yesterday, I heard them trimming trees and saw they had essentially cut down a tree on our property to a three foot stump. I went out to speak with the cutters and asked them to be more sensitive to the cutting and that they left me with a near dead tree I will have to pay to remove and stump grind. This tree, about seven feet tall, was more than 20 feet from any power line and was fully on my property. After him telling me he was just doing his job, I asked again for him to not do this to the other trees, he said, "If you don't watch out I will go and cut down all of those maples" and pointed to a full grove of trees nowhere near a line and fully on our property. I told him that I found this to be a threat and asked him to not come onto our property. They eventually left and I filed a complaint with the power company. Their arborist is coming today to review the issue, and the manager from the tree trimming company is coming, as well.

    I found this individual to be threatening, but does this constitute a crime or illegal activity? Can I forbid the tree company or this individual from coming onto my property if I felt threatened by his actions or words? And what about my poor sapling? It was a maple that I tended through the last year that was there when we bought the property. Thanks! And again, this is all in Massachusetts.

    Update: Thank you all for your kind advice, and I greatly appreciate it. I wanted to update you on the meeting with the arborist and the manager from the tree trimming company. The three of us visited the tree (now a stump) in question, and I explained my perspective. The arborist attempted to defend the person who made the threat, but I pointed to the trees that the tree cutter had referenced, and he agreed they were not near power lines. He apologized for the incident, and I thanked him for his apology. He said that they were under contract with this tree trimmer for all services related to protecting powerlines from tree falls and branches.

    I told both individuals that the threat made by the trimming company had made my family and I feel unsafe and then stated that because I did not know the individual who made the threat, that any employee of the tree trimming company (a very large company here in New England) would be tresspassing if they entered my property for any reason. The arborist said that the trees would need trimming, and I said that they were more than welcome to identify a different company and to meet with me before said trimming to discuss their plans. He verbally agreed to this. The tree company individual apologized for his employee's actions. I thanked them for meeting with me. I will need to file a formal complaint for stump grinding, and I will update once there is resolution. Thanks again, all.

    submitted by /u/wearenotamousebouche
    [link] [comments]

    An update and new questions regarding yesterday's "Billboard Neighbor" dispute

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 11:42 AM PDT

    Yesterday I posted about my next door neighbor putting up a billboard accusing me of owning him money. That post is locked, but I have new questions now that I have spoken to an attorney and the police.

    The attorney advised that I do have grounds to sue, but also advised that the cost to pursue that option would be substantial. As we talked and he heard more of the story he raised his eyebrows up and told me that this sounds more and more like a criminal case for extortion or blackmail. He encouraged me to call and start an incident report with the local Sheriff. He also encouraged me to pursue a no contact order through the courts.

    I did call the Sheriff's Department to create an incident report, and they took my statement over the phone (COVID-19 protocols) and then sent a marked car to collect photo evidence. The deputy stopped her car, took pictures, gave me a wave through the window, then left.

    I've looked up the statutes in NC for extortion and blackmail (14-118.4 and 14-118) and with my NAL eyes it does seem his actions satisfy the law's requirements for both.

    I have no real experience with the criminal justice system, besides having a credit card stolen when I lived in MD and in that experience I did not receive much help or support from the police.

    My questions are: what happens now? Do I wait to hear back from the Sheriff's or do I need to be the one calling them to follow up on things? I don't want to annoy them but I also do want to have this handled with some degree of expediency. Would it be smart or stupid to go to the other neighbors he's been shaking down to let them know there's now police involvement if they'd like to also share their story? In the experience of others who've seen anything like this play out; do crazy bullies like him usually tone it down and act right after just a formal conversation with police that they're doing something illegal and they need to stop, or does it seem more likely that I will need to push for charges that will cause him to need to hire a defense attorney, etc if I want this situation to be a done deal, permanently. I do not want a lengthy feud, I just want him to leave me and my family in peace going forward.

    If there's an obvious question I'm not asking I would appreciate any other advice that pertains, too.

    (For the people from yesterday who were concerned that paying him $300 would complicate things, it has not. The invoice/letter that The Mayor delivered to us last year clearly stated that he hired and paid for the road repairs without consulting anyone but that he thinks it's our duty to pay him regardless. His own letter entirely backs my story completely)

    submitted by /u/SnozberryWallpaper
    [link] [comments]

    Boyfriend wants to buy a house and wants me to pay the mortgage

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    He tries to buy a house and will take care the down payment, but wants me to pay the mortgage.

    Background: we've been together for 5 more years, I don't know if we're gonna get married. Lately he's thinking about buying a house and have me pay the mortgage (approximately same as what I have paid for current rent). "So we can keep staying together."

    Asking: is this sounds sketchy? anything I can protect myself ? ——— Clarification: everything will be under his name, I'll pay the same amount to him as "mortgage "

    submitted by /u/Benna-H
    [link] [comments]

    My stimulus check was deposited into my ex husbands account by accident. He is now refusing to give it back unless I drop the protective order I have against him. Is this legal?? (Illinois)

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    I will copy and paste the email I got from his lawyer. For context we were separated for most of 2019 and contrary to what his lawyer says here I supported myself and my child alone for the most part, he didn't help me financially much at all in 2019 and definitely not in 2020! My daughter is not his child, she's included as a protected party in the order. I have already told his attorney I will not use the OP as a bargaining chip when he's tried to get me to drop it in exchange for $, the domestic violence I experienced at his hands was almost lethal. I am unable to work right now and absolutely need this money. He makes 3x as much as I do and is able to work from home right now so he isn't losing income.

    I received your message regarding the stimulus funds and I have spoken with [exes name] about the issue. It is [exes name] position that the stimulus rebate is a refundable tax credit applied on your 2020 tax return, but advanced based on each person's 2018 or 2019 income. Since you guys filed jointly in 2018, and [ex] was providing support for the two of you in 2018 and 2019, he is not agreeable to releasing any funds to you, as this will be reflected on his 2020 taxes. [Ex] has offered that if you are willing to drop the Order of Protection petition, he is willing to provide you with all funds related to you and your daughter.

    submitted by /u/Meonspeed
    [link] [comments]

    NJ. Neighbor's kid hopped fence to pet dog (feat. MS Paint)

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    Please see this lovingly-constructed drawing because oh god I'm so bored. The gray fence is a 4-foot chain link fence that was never replaced with the 8-foot privacy fence in part because of the placement of some big old trees on the property line; also because my parents weren't so concerned with privacy from an empty lot.

    My parents live in the suburbs. Neighbors (blue on the drawing) moved in last year and have a school age child who is probably 7 or 8. The empty lot was bought by a developer and has been empty since 07 or 08. My parents have a dog who they often leave in the backyard. He is about 12 years old now and, being a senior citizen, mostly wants to just lounge in the nice soft grass and sunshine. (Someone is always home when he's out and he always has access to shade and fresh water. The one time in 11 years he got out, he just walked through the open gate while dad was washing a car and after a frantic search of the neighborhood, my parents found him sitting in front of the now-closed fence, waiting patiently to be let back into the backyard.)

    Recently, Neighbor Kid was apparently playing in the empty lot next door and hopped the low fence into my parents' yard, wanting to play with the dog. The dog sat up and barked. It was not until that moment that the kid realized how big and loud the dog is (he's a 60 pound black lab, gentle as a lamb, and loud), froze, and started crying. The dog didn't even approach him, just sat there barking. Mom was in the kitchen and went out, calmed the kid, helped him pet the dog (who was totally fine with this, he's super friendly), then walked him back to his parents and told them what happened. The neighbors were apologetic.

    My question is: Now that there's a kid who is big enough to hop fences but little enough not to realize it's not a good idea in the neighborhood, do my parents need to worry about it as a liability? Can leaving a dog out in a fenced back yard be considered an 'attractive nuisance'? The dog has never shown any aggression beyond barking, even the time the police chased someone into the yard, but he's a big dog, and there's a bunch of other kids in the neighborhood now as well. They don't want to pay to extend the high fence along that side in large part because they'd either have to dig up the edge of the driveway or extend over the property line to get around the big trees. I'm probably being paranoid, but is there anything my parents need to do to protect themselves from any potential trouble?

    submitted by /u/theytookthemall
    [link] [comments]

    Classmate kicked out of nursing program for asking about masks

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 03:46 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I am in a nursing program at a community college in California and we are starting clinical at a hospital with known cases of COVID. We are in charge of patient and staff screening when entering the hospital. Yesterday my classmate was removed from the nursing program and needs a bit of help. Last week, she asked my professor if she could use an N95 mask (more protective) instead of a surgical mask because she lives with her mom, who is immunocompromised. The professor directed her to contact the woman who is in charge of student placement for clinical, who said she couldn't use the mask. We got our answer. That was fine.

    The director of the nursing program at our college found out and told student she was removed from the program simply for asking about the mask. The professor who told her to ask did not back this student up or vouch for her, even though the student asked only because of this professor. The student has emails and records of their exchange. She is appealing this removal. If the appeal is not successful, are there any other steps we could take? We are all students with no experience with anything legal, so all help is appreciated. TIA!

    submitted by /u/BabSaab
    [link] [comments]

    I donated my breastmilk to a woman in need, who in turn sold it to bodybuilders.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 04:15 AM PDT

    Title pretty much sums it up. I'm in Hawaii. Turns out this woman has been trolling local mom's groups on multiple Facebook accounts with the same sob story soliciting donations, then she sells the breastmilk to bodybuilders. Unfortunately being creepy as fuck isn't illegal, but I'm wondering if what she is doing constitutes fraud and if there is anything I can do about it?

    submitted by /u/ohyoshimi
    [link] [comments]

    How fast can I get my siblings & I removed from our home?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 01:37 AM PDT

    Hey, I'm Rai [14M] and to make things clear, I spend most of my time at my mom's house (since my dad lives far enough away where it's hard for me to get to school from his house). My mom married another man but he's legally not my dad, which makes him my step dad. Of course, like my mom, he's had kids before they were married, so there's actually quite a few children living at my mom's house.

    If needed, here are the kids living here: Younger Sister [12], 2 Older Twin Half Brothers [16], Older Step Brother [17], Younger Step Brother [10], Younger Step Sister [7]

    Examples: It started with locking us out of the house. There's been multiple times where my younger sister has called me crying, forcing me to leave a friend's house to let her back into our own house in WINTER. There's been a few instances where my step dad has hit me. Just this past week he got angry that I slept in (which is unfair because it's corona break so why do I even have to get up). He ended up hitting me hard but my head bounced against the wall, so now I have this huge bruise on the side of my face. He's thrown my little sister down the stairs before.

    My siblings and I are scared of hurting each other if we tell somebody. Same for my mom.

    The Questions: Is there some sort of way to get my siblings out of the house before my step dad can punish us for it? My younger sister and I have our father to live with, but unfortunately my twin half brothers' don't have another active parent in their life. Will my half brother's have the option to live with my papa, my siblings, and I, even if he's not their biological father? Will my mom get in trouble because she didn't help stop my step dad, even if she didn't mean for him to be this way?

    I guess the better question is will it be fast enough?

    Edit: grammar

    Edit 2: I live in Wisconsin, United States

    submitted by /u/RaisDiary
    [link] [comments]

    Old employer threatened to call unemployment

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:37 PM PDT

    So at the end of February the store I worked for closed. I was the only employee. The owner works a different store and business wasn't good so I was laid off on good terms and told to file for unemployment.

    Since then the world has obviously changed and I have become the "sole caregiver" of my 3 children. Their mother is still working full time and she gets them 3 nights a week, but I have them for the rest of the time. I also qualified for Medicaid which is nice because the previous employer did not offer healthcare benefits.

    2 days ago he called me and said that I needed to come back to work. I explained the situation and acknowledged that I was in a much better position caring for my kids until this all starts to normalize. I will be with them 6 days a week through the summer as well and until they start going back to school.

    At that point he told me "well you know I can get those benefits taken away if you turn down a job from me?"

    Is there any validity to his threat at all? He basically told me he was going to extort me into working for him again because he is too greedy to close his shop for a day a week and he wants a little break.

    This is in Ohio.

    submitted by /u/itslivo
    [link] [comments]

    I am an American citizen being denied entry. (Stuck on a cruise ship) (International)

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 09:14 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I worked as crew on a ship. My contract has ended and I am no longer employed. The US government won't let me or the other Americans onboard in. We have offered to self quarantine and be tested (as none of us are sick).

    • I have contacted the State Department and they brushed me off with a generic email.

    • I have contacted my senators and my house rep (Georgia). None of them have been helpful.

    • My ship explicitly told us to contact our government because the company can't convince them to let us dock.

    • It is being enforced by CDC and USCG.

    My questions are - who do I need to contact to get off this ship? What kind of lawyer do I need? What government agency can I push to let me off?

    I have been at sea for 40 days. Please help.

    submitted by /u/Lime_Time
    [link] [comments]

    My boyfriend put a microphone in my apartment

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 08:06 AM PDT

    He refused to tell me where it is or even why he installed a secret microphone in the first place. His name isn't on the lease. Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/tempaccccctt
    [link] [comments]

    My friend is being hit can I call cps

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    I'm from Oklahoma and my friend has abusive parents I'm 13 and not sure if I can call CPS or not what can I do we live in a small town

    submitted by /u/jmankanlik132
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord wants to stay the night

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Hey all, first post here, asking for my friend. She's about to move apartments but her lease isn't up until the end of the month. I asked if she had a copy and she's not sure where it is.

    Basically her landlord TOLD her that he's coming into town tomorrow and is going to stay the night in her apartment... With her... She doesn't think she can say no because it's his property, but obviously as a tenant she has rights and this does not sound legal.

    It's in Chicago, IL. Can someone point me in the right direction to find her rights so she can stop this creep without losing her deposit?

    I appreciate any help!

    submitted by /u/Cereus_Catalina
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord showed up today unannounced saying he’ll be moving into vacant room (CA)

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    I live in San Francisco, CA. I moved into a room in an apartment in November 2019. The landlord noted that I was just renting the room, and there were two other roommates who also rented rooms together. We all have separately signed leases individual with the landlord. From the beginning, it's been problematic.

    The lease is standard, and makes no reference to the fact I'm just renting a room. It only specifies the address and the rent I pay, without specifying a particular room or division between the roommates.

    The landlord shows up unannounced at least weekly and demands we clean any dishes we left out or take the trash out, what have you. I asked another roommate about this and he said that because we just rent the rooms, he can show up like this without notice. However, my lease does not specify a room rental, and even has a clause for when a landlord may legally enter (I believe because it is a standard lease in SF). This has gotten worse and worse given the pandemic, where we shelter-in-place and are constantly surprised when he comes in without notice and without a face mask. One roommate moved out as soon as the pandemic started, leaving a room vacant.

    It reached it's tipping point today when he showed up unannounced again, demanded we clean, and told me he'd be sleeping in the vacant room tonight/for the foreseeable future. What the fuck. I feel entirely intruded upon. From what I can tell, he's been harassing us at best. I don't feel safe in my apartment.

    What action can I take regarding this? I've asked for a referral to a tenants lawyer from a friend, but until then I'd love any advice about how/where to report him. Any advice is welcome; happy to answer any questions. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/zeldalaska
    [link] [comments]

    (WA) I suspect my housemate is stealing. Can I place camera in my own bedroom?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    Are there any legal risks to placing a camera in my own bedroom in a house I share with roommates in Washington state? My motivation is that I believe one of my roommates is stealing from me.

    submitted by /u/throwayhahahahayhay
    [link] [comments]

    Bed bugs in new apartment

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    I live in Texas, recently just moved into an apartment after doing everything online (thanks to COVID). I've been there less than a week and have woken up covered in bites. Looked around the entire apartment and found bed bugs exoskeleton. Is there anything I can do to get out and get my money back for everything I've spent for this new apartment?

    submitted by /u/mel8812051
    [link] [comments]

    Legal protection for my pet geese [NY]

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:10 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, sorry for formatting or breaking any rules, I'm new to reddit.

    I have a flock of geese I own that have the run of my yard durning the day, my yard is fully fenced with a 4 ft high chain link fence.

    Given the current lock down there are several groups of kids that tend to wander around the neighborhood, including jumping my fence (when I see them, i yell but it doesnt seem to matter).

    My question is: my geese are very territorial to people they dont know and I have seen them get close to biting these kids before. how do I legally protect my pets? Would "no trespassing " or "guard animal on duty" signs be enough? I'd hate to have to put then to sleep because they were being geese.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ManySpring0
    [link] [comments]

    Help! There is a porn video of me being spread

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 03:02 PM PDT

    Hi, when I was younger I made a porno video with a then boyfriend. I found out he was sharing it online, and he convinced me to then do some cam girl work to make money off the videos. It was such a huge mistake and I'm still paying for it. He showed people all over my small town the videos and it's been so humiliating. I've since left him, become a mother and am trying very hard to move forward in life. (Going pretty good except for this!) The video has spread and continues to spread like wildfire.

    I was hoping for help. None of the accounts we had used are active anymore and all the videos being shared are from other people... one video in particular has become popular.

    I know this might be funny to some or seem like my fault, but again...I was 19, dumb and in a manipulative relationship. If there's any help or advice out there, myself and my daughter Would greatly appreciate it. THANKS

    submitted by /u/Stephcrowder38
    [link] [comments]

    HOA says I cannot play with my dog

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 08:30 AM PDT

    So I live in a decent size neighborhood with around 80 houses. We have a HUGE grass area where my dog and I play ball in. We have for probably about 3 years. We do this mainly because our HOA restricts us from having a fence.

    Well I got a letter in the mail stating this was against their covenants. Now when I built the house here it was definitely not there. Now maybe it was amended, not sure but what are some possible actions I can take? Not going to lie, we will be moving if we do not solve this issue.

    I have asked for the signed copy of the regulations when I moved in first and foremost.

    Idk who blabbed about it, when my dog plays ball he ignores everything else so we never bother anyone. But other dogs are walked off leash all the time around the neighborhood. We've all had our dogs.playing together at times too in the big open space.

    I am in PA

    submitted by /u/tdraovlel
    [link] [comments]

    Financial matter with Ex-wife, do I have a case?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    Ex-wife and I seperated in July 2019, divorce was finalized in October 2019. We lived in Tennessee when we were married, divorce was done in Tennessee Court. Per the divorce agreement, I was to pay my half of the lease we both signed just before seperation. We agreed on monthly payments of $900 until it was paid, and I payed it off in 6 months. I now live in Virginia and she still lives in Tennessee.

    I filed my 2019 taxes on April 9th 2020, filed as single since the divorce was final before December 31 2019. I have no idea how my ex wife filed, I assume single as well. For 2018, we filed our taxes jointly since we were still married, and had the returns deposited into her checking account (We always had seperate checking accounts.)

    Onto the matter at hand, 2020 Stimulus check. Since our 2018 taxes were filed jointly, and I didn't file my 2019 taxes until April 9th 2020, my stimulus check was deposited into her checking account. She emailed me the day it was deposited into her account and told me that we needed to discuss a financial matter. I told her she could send me my $1200 through cashapp or Facebook Messenger, and then she decided she would keep it for herself. Can she legally do that or could I do something about it? Also, today she texted me and told me she would send me $1 a day for 1200 days, obviously out of spite. Would I be wasting my time trying to take this to court?

    submitted by /u/frostybostic
    [link] [comments]

    Mom stole $15,000 and says she won’t give it back until quarantine is over

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 09:23 PM PDT

    This is in California . During college, my mom was on a joint savings account with me and said she would keep my money safe for me by withdrawing amounts and putting it in a safety deposit box. That was around $2000.

    Then, I finally got the settlement from insurance from getting run over by a car which was around $13,000. It was in a cashiers check in my name. I was over 18 when I got that check. That also went into the safety deposit box.

    I have been sending my mom email after email telling her to give me the money but she always has excuses. We have discussed the amount of money and has acknowledged that she will give it back to me written via email. She has also acknowledged that she will stop opening my mail (also documented via email). She keeps putting it off because this time she is afraid to go to the bank where the deposit box is because she is immunocompromised and says I have to wait until quarantine is over.

    I want to let her know that she has a certain number of days (3-4) to get me the money and on the final day if I come and she doesn't have it I will file a police report. Should I get a lawyer now instead and not tell her this? I would like to avoid hiring a lawyer and potentially instead have a police escort my mom and I to the bank so she can give me the cashiers check with my name on it from her safety deposit box (is this possible?) . I am at my wits end I really don't know what to do. This has gone on for years at this point and I'm 22 now.

    submitted by /u/alexanax13
    [link] [comments]

    StockX's fake authentication process

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    Hey all from r/legaladvice :)!

    Recently ive purchased a pair of nike airforce one shadow on stockX. Since they have an authentication process where they guarentee 100% authentic shoes I went on and bought them straight away, making a mistake in size along the way (so I can't even wear them if I wanted to).

    The shoes arrived yesterday morning. Now I already have multiple pairs of air force one sneakers where I'm 100% certain with that they're real. From second one of opening the box I could tell that they're fake, the leather feels like plastic and they weigh nothing compared to my other pairs. Also the glue and stitching is really bad.

    Ive sent a message to stockX but they claim that they are certain about the authenticity and have told me that they won't take them back or give me a refund whatshowever.

    Since this issue Ive read multiple posts about related issues and have tried contacting someone about involving my bank, they did not reply sadly.

    Would it be a clever move to invest in having them checked by a professional? Or is involving my bank my best option now?

    I know its just sneakers but for me this is a lot of money!

    stockX is located in Detroit and I live in the Netherlands (I apologise in advance if my English is rather bad)

    Thanks for reading this! Every piece of advise is very much appreciated and welcome :)!

    submitted by /u/frederik_Hendrik
    [link] [comments]

    My phone has been hacked by my supervisor and and a colleague. HR won't help unless I prove it.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 01:37 PM PDT

    Hello everyone.This is in D.C. I am a junior level female staff. my supervisior along with a senior level colleague tapped my phone and recorded my personal conversations for weeks and shared the conversations, my financial details ( had personal capital app), personal text messages, photos with other colleagues. One of the girls I work with told me who hacked and she knew all about my personal text messages, the details of the conversations I had with my family & friends and where I go etc. I reported it to HR and senior management but I was told that they can not do anything unless I prove it. The supervisor found out that I complained about him which made things worse. They spreaded all sorts of rumors about me and gave bad feedback etc. It became very steesfull going to work. How can I prove that my phone was hacked?

    submitted by /u/bluestone001
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord issue

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    I'm currently living in a home in Florida, and my pipes are blocked

    I asked my landlord if he could repair it and he said that he would evict me, question is, is what he did illegal, and what can I do?

    submitted by /u/tempthrowawayguy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment