• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 7, 2020

    Legal Advice - [UPDATE] The 17-year-old is actually 19.

    Legal Advice - [UPDATE] The 17-year-old is actually 19.


    [UPDATE] The 17-year-old is actually 19.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 02:57 PM PDT

    This is the original post.

    Long story short, following everyone's advice I reached out to an attorney who advised me to begin compiling records of my communication with him and to record any communication we had going forward. She told me to avoid reaching out to him but to be prepared if he reached out to me. I downloaded a call recording app and started backing up my screenshots of our texts and messages. He did unmatch me on Tinder so thank you to everyone that warned me our conversations would go away.

    He didn't say so, but I think he may have seen my Reddit post. I only say that because I know it made the front page and last night he called out of the blue to apologize and ask me to not call the police. So, either he saw it or he had a come to Jesus moment. He told me that he is 19 and that he only said he was 17 to scare me since I was being a bitch and wouldn't let him come over. When I told him to prove his age or I'd call the cops, he texted me a picture of his ID. He also says that it isn't me on the video but that he deleted it anyway. I'm not sure if this is the truth but I've got a recorded confession so that's something.

    I haven't spoken to the attorney since he called me but I did email her with a transcript and recording of our conversation. We have a meeting scheduled for tomorrow. I'm still going to be seeking legal action, I'm just not sure what action since his ID does say he's 19. In that case there was no CP although I know there's still a case for sextortion. I don't think it would be wise for me continue updating this situation on Reddit if he's here too so this will probably be the last thing I say about it.

    Thanks to everyone that has messaged me to be supportive, I really appreciate it. I can't respond to everyone because between PMs and chats, I'm sitting on 300+ messages about that post. Funnily enough, a nice chunk of them are from men calling me a pedophile, saying they hope I get raped since I'm such a slut, trying to figure out where in Texas I am so we can hook up, etc. This man tried to coerce me into having sex with him via blackmail and I'm the one getting blamed because I had sex with someone I believed was an adult.

    From this point on, I'll only be seeing men my age or older, and IDing everyone. According to the attorney, the fact that he looked old enough wasn't an excuse. This might sound dramatic but for most of yesterday, I really thought my life was over. Never again.

    submitted by /u/MutedStress
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbour cutting down trees on my property

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 04:31 AM PDT

    Ontario, Canada

    My neighbour has cut down a number of trees on my property. Not just branches on his side, but he's cut multiple trees from their stumps which are on my side of the fence. I have video evidence of all of it from home security cameras.

    He has caused my family and I a lot of stress since we got here and we are moving homes at the end of May. This is the first time he's damaged my property.

    is what he did illegal? Is this worth pursuing in court? If so how do I go about doing this?

    Thank you, please let me know if you need any other information

    submitted by /u/LostZiran
    [link] [comments]

    [USA] A politician is using a false narrative of my family member’s death to raise funds and garner sympathy for their campaign.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    A politician has started using my deceased family member's name as part of a sympathy story to promote his campaign agenda. My family member's name has been mentioned on social media and in the local news to raise funds for his platform. He is doing so against the wishes of my family and he is also largely embellishing the details of my family member's death to suit his agenda. He did personally know my deceased family member, but he is lying about many things including how he knew her, her exact cause of death, and other aspects of her life.

    I am aware of many of these lies because I have access to my deceased family member's devices which contain years of texts from the politician (including a message where he told her to kill herself, among other condemning messages). I have not contacted the politician to request that he stop mentioning my family member, but even if that would suffice, I would still prefer to take legal action (if possible) to force him to stop. Hopefully legal action would also assist somehow in allowing his donors and campaign supporters to know that they are funding lies. I'll be clear that he is not saying negative things about my family member or attempting to slander her, rather he is rewriting her life and memory to create a false narrative that supports his own needs.

    I know that politicians lie every day with zero legal consequences, but this seems like it should be illegal. Is he breaking any laws by spreading this misinformation? Would a lawyer be able to help with this?

    [California, USA]

    ETA: Though I have the option of going to the media, political opponents, etc, to set the record straight (although apparently no one is allowed to give me that advice on this sub...), there is a key reason why I would prefer to avoid the media and find a legal solution. This politician is not defaming my family member in any way, rather he is presenting a much more positive and polished (yet illusionary and deceitful) account of her life. If I were to correct these details, I would have to divulge many unflattering aspects of her life, which I think he knows I would rather not do. That is why I'm mainly trying to focus on the legal ramifications of how he is using blatant lies (and provably blatant lies as opposed to the garden-variety political lies about false promises, etc) to amass support for his campaign. It's looking like my best options thus far are having a cease and desist letter sent or filing a complaint that he may be violating election laws on a state level.

    submitted by /u/SorryBill
    [link] [comments]

    [Missouri] Am I legally required to tell my employer I have tested positive for Covid-19?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 02:46 AM PDT

    I am currently working from home. My work has issued guidance that if any employee tests positive for Covid-19, they must contact their supervisor and also HR. I have been working at home for over 3 weeks now, and am not going to go into work any time soon. If I was called in, I would tell them I do not feel well. In reality, I have had the mildest of symptoms and I actually feel pretty normal.

    I am somewhat embarrassed about this whole thing and also I don't feel it's their business to know if it is not impacting my work and I am not affecting other employees. I just don't want it to circle back on me and get me in trouble if someone finds out and they feel they should have been notified. Thanks for any replies.

    submitted by /u/Justhaveaquestion1
    [link] [comments]

    My son spent $2200 on my credit card. He is a minor. Is there a way I can get my money back?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    My 14 year old son (in NYC) spent $2200 on a video game over the past 2 months without me or his mother noticing. He started spending on January 31st and we only realized April 5th. I've called the bank 2 times and they've said they can't refund it, despite him being a minor. We really can't afford this, especially now. Does anyone know if there's a way we can get our money back?

    Apologies if this is the wrong sub.

    submitted by /u/Needfinancialhelprn
    [link] [comments]

    Hotel saying we must move our wedding date

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    San Antonio, Texas

    My fiance and I have a wedding in planned for November, and the hotel we selected for the wedding has an event that was delayed due to Covid-19 and rescheduled to to our weekend. They told us we must move the date or they will cancel the wedding.

    We have vendors selected, save the dates already sent out, and plane tickets purchased and really dont want to move the date. I am asking if the hotel is able to force this on us because another event got delayed and rescheduled to our weekend, and if we are entitled to any damages. The rest of this post is the legal stuff.

    The contract we signed has two parts that seem important:

    Cancellation: In the event of a group cancellation occurring 180 to 269 days prior to arrival, liquidated damages in the amount of 75% of the minimum total revenue will be due, plus applicable taxes.

    Impossibility: The performance of this Agreement is subject to termination without liability upon the occurrence of any circumstance beyond the control of either party - such as acts of God, war, acts of terrorism, government regulations, disaster, strikes, civil disorder, or curtailment of transportation facilities - to the extent that such circumstance makes it illegal or impossible to provide, or for groups general to use, the hotel facilities. The ability to terminate this agreement without liability pursuant to this paragraph is conditioned upon delivery of written notice to the other part setting forth the basis for such termination as soon as reasonably practical - but in no event longer than 10 days - after learning of such basis.

    Also the other event was rescheduled mid March, and we were informed today, which is longer than 10 days.

    Thank you for any help you provide!

    submitted by /u/Rojo_jojoe
    [link] [comments]

    I'm sick and currently waiting on COVID 19 test results. My boss wants me to come in tomorrow anyway (AK).

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    I am currently symptomatic and was tested for COVID 19 today. Both the doctor who ordered the test and the testing sight advised me to quarantine for seven days or 72 hours after symptoms subside without medication, whichever is longer. I work in the medical field (though not with COVID patients) and I sent a note to my boss and was told to come in tomorrow since my fever is "low". I believe I will be terminated if I don't comply. Is this legal? What are my legal obligations as far as complying with quarantine? I really, really, really can't afford to lose this job and I know it's wrong to not self quarantine but I'm tempted to. I was also told I would not be paid for my time off in spite of the relief bill. I'm sick and scared and any advice would help.

    submitted by /u/throwaycovidpatient
    [link] [comments]

    [Georgia] Boss wants GF to pay for her own drug test.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:02 PM PDT

    My girlfriend's boss is making her submit to a drug test. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, as it's his company and it's his prerogative to screen his employees for this sort of thing. What I am not okay with is that he is making her shell out $40 for the test. I've been drug tested a lot in the past, and I never had to pay for it out of my own pocket (mind you this was in Florida, but nevertheless). I'm having a difficult time finding info online about this. I don't want her to stand up for herself and refuse to pay only to then get in trouble. She's only paid $12/hour. What he's asking her to do is to work for almost 4 hours after taxes for the privilege of having her privacy invaded. What can I do?

    submitted by /u/Crooked_Cricket
    [link] [comments]

    Husband wont agree to divorce even though he is cheating - Illinois

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 04:57 PM PDT

    Illinois:

    I am trying to get away from my husband of 7 years because we are in a loveless marriage. We do have 2 kids and 1 on the way but I have caught him cheating with multiple women in the last 2 years but he wont agree to a divorce and threatens to takes the kids from me. I have not slept in the same bed as him in over 5 years and every time he "wants it" its by force and I cant stop it. He isn't physically abusive but does yell and shout when I confront him. He constantly asks our kids if I have anyone over but has free reign to bring anyone over when I am not home. He has told me I am not allowed to work and must stay home to take care of the kids and clean the house. I feel like my plane has crashed and is sinking and dont know what to do and have feel like I have no options.

    submitted by /u/Axiel1234
    [link] [comments]

    Am I a Canadian Citizen?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I've been recently researching Canadian nationality law and came across this regarding citizenship by descent:

    Between 15 February 1977 and 16 April 2009, a child born abroad to a Canadian citizen would acquire Canadian citizenship automatically at birth, regardless of whether the parent was a Canadian citizen by descent.

    For the record I was born in 2003 in Slovakia and have lived there all my life, my mother is Slovak, my father is Slovak and obtained a Canadian citizenship by naturalization in the late 90s, but continues to live in Slovakia.

    I don't know what this means for me because according to that passage from Wikipedia I should be a citizen, but there is no document which would confirm it. The test on canada.ca said I am likely a Canadian citizen but I don't think that's much to go by.

    What makes matters a little more complicated is that Slovakia has banned dual citizenship in 2010 by making you give up your Slovak citizenship if you obtain a foreign one and vice-versa. People who obtained theirs before 2010 (i.e. my father) are exempt from this.

    So anyway, I was wondering what my situation is. Have I been a Canadian citizen since my birth and am I just missing documents? Or am I in some weird grey area where I should have been a citizen but I'm not because it wasn't reported?

    Let me know if you need any additional information or if there's a better sub to post this such as r/onguardforthee or r/ImmigrationCanada.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/SlovakMapleSyrup
    [link] [comments]

    (Nc) supervisors claiming they’ve never seen me.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:00 PM PDT

    I'm in North Carolina. Started a new job through a staffing agency, I worked my week in the hole (no pay) that coming Friday I called my staffing agency and asked when I would be getting paid, they told me they had no paperwork saying I worked there. Also my supervisor is saying he doesn't know me and has never seen me and that is a lie. I also clocked in electrically everyday I was there, 6pm-6am.

    They owe me for working 48 hours for the 4 days I worked there.. I stopped showing up to work as soon as they told me they don't have proof of me working there.

    I've filed a wage claim, is there anything else I can do?

    submitted by /u/BoostedRotary
    [link] [comments]

    Caught my husband cheating, ghosted what to do next till I can meet with a lawyer?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 05:20 AM PDT

    (FL) Title pretty much says it all. I packed up my stuff, took half the money and disappeared. I text him to let him know and he has been looking for me, even put a tracer on my phone. A lawyer can't see me till Monday what should I do in the meantime? Also some what not to do's would be nice.

    submitted by /u/IntelligentArtist2
    [link] [comments]

    Estate Limbo - Father Died Unexpectedly - Assets Being Taken By Other Relatives

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:55 PM PDT

    TLDR: My father passed away unexpectedly while still holding property with his sister, and her husband. He paid 196k out of 300k. In 15 years they somehow managed not to ever finish paying off the mortgage between the two of them. (Real Estate Agent and Insurance Agent)

    LOCATION: USA, Florida, Miami Dade County

    Hello legaladvice!

    First off I want to take the time to thank you, and appreciate you for taking a look at my post. I have leaned on all of my friends, family, and even some lawyers outside of the field to no avail. Unfortunately I have not been able to find anyone with experience or idea on how I should be proceeding with this matter. I hope you can find it in your heart to lend me your professional advice or at very least point me to the names of the types of lawyers I am looking for.

    My father had no prior symptoms and was regularly going for checkups and had health insurance. Diagnosis took about 7 days and the ER doc made a very strong comment about advanced cancer but legally they had to confirm it, so this wasn't repeated by anyone else and we kept getting told to wait for results. When results came back it was terminally ill stage 4, immediately eligible for hospice.

    Only because of the ER Doc's comment did we somewhat scramble for last wishes, he had already left some things in place. He had a will, and left 2 assets quit claim deeded.

    Here's where it starts getting sticky. My father put down $196,000 on a $300k house with my Aunt and her Husband. This house was sold to them by my brother around 13 years ago right before the housing bubble. The idea was for them to flip the house for 600k, but somewhere along the lines they held too long and that happened.

    The 2nd day my father was in the hospital my Aunt (his blood sister) decided to "clean his room", in case he were to soon be discharged.

    His last will "cannot be found". I don't have any idea who the lawyer was. Is this public record?

    One of my fathers last wishes was that I needed to fight for the house. He had helped his sister and her husband for too long and he intended his assets to be left to the kids....

    My aunt and uncle are not speaking to me. They made a comment to my mentally disabled sister that they are going to let the bank take it. They had 12-13 years to pay off 100k and somehow have not. I heard from my brother that they refinanced a few times. They took my father off the title and my father threatened to call police and they put him back on. My fathers name is still on the title when I look up property appraisal.(I looked today)..this is just insight of what they tried doing a few years back.

    My father gave me a 15k credit card bill that he thinks was taken out by them in his name. My father was the kind of person who used his credit card but paid it off instead of sending payments. The card was in his address....

    My uncle is a real estate agent, and his wife is an insurance agent and has worked as a mortgage agent before most of her life.

    I feel their is a lot going on, and maybe some criminal mischief.

    So, if you read all that. I am the youngest, and my older brother hasn't done ANYTHING at all and I assume my father left him as power of attorney but what strikes me so concerning is why can't we find the last will as he made some sort of change.

    Again my father verbally told me to fight for the house. I have a mentally disabled sister that I want to make sure she gets money as I am her daughters god father. I feel ripped apart, and haunted that I have not done anything yet. My brother keeps saying do nothing he's gonna do something......I have waited 1 year and 4 months I think I should step in.....

    Help!

    submitted by /u/ro0d
    [link] [comments]

    [SC, USA] Friends apartment complex sent a bill with her PII and apartment number to her estranged husband's house after they were told not to, what options does she have?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    [SC, USA]

    My friend is currently divorcing her husband and, for a number of reasons, does not want him to know where she lives.

    When she leased her apartment, the complex understood that if her ex came by the leasing office looking for her, they were not to give out her apartment number or any other information, when though they still have the same last name.

    Today she found out her ex received a bill for last month which contained her current address and other personal information.

    She confronted the office about this breach and the office claimed that she's not listed for receiving paper billing, but that the complex just went to a new billing company and they wouldn't know why or how they would have sent that letter to her old address. (she did not list her old address when she leased)

    Frankly, the only solution now is she's going to have to move somewhere else. Although there is a $2,000 fee to break the lease.

    What are her options?

    Was the complex obligated legally not to release her information?

    submitted by /u/Montanabioguy
    [link] [comments]

    Where to report past child sexual abuse in TX

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    I'm looking to help a friend out with information. They just came shared with me that they were sexually abused as a child in TX for a number of years approximately 20-25 years ago. The abuser recently tried contacting them via social media, which triggered them to come forward and share the horrible experience they had. Looking for the appropriate state departments to have them report to. I would assume state level is more efficient than local level due to the timeframe. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/physicalzero
    [link] [comments]

    Someone else’s car parked in my driveway in middle of the night

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 06:54 AM PDT

    I'm in Columbus OH.

    So this morning at 0307, I have video of someone pulling into my parking pad, failing to jump my neighbors fence & breaking it, and then running down the alley. They left their truck in my driveway, and it is still there. The police told me they can't do anything because it is on private property, not reported stolen or involved in an accident. The keys are not in the vehicle. Any idea what options I might have?

    Thanks.

    Edit- I contacted a few towing companies and they said it takes 24-48 hours to remove, because I have to sign contracts and post signage. I would like to have it gone sooner than that it possible.

    Edit #2- I called the police back and they towed it the second time they came. Thanks everyone

    submitted by /u/mimic3413
    [link] [comments]

    Remote job was terminated, employer withholding final paycheck.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    As stated above, I live in Minnesota and worked remotely for a company out of California. I was let go from the California company a few weeks ago (no reason given). I was paid bi-monthly (the 1st and the 15th of the month) and should have received my final paycheck on April 1st.

    I emailed my employer about the final paycheck and he responded saying that I may have been overpaid because my work was insufficient (not working 40 hours/week), and they may be seeking previous pay to be returned. This statement by him is a lie, but I am unsure what to do. I need that final paycheck because I have bills to pay.

    First, I need that paycheck ASAP.

    I was reading on the MN Dept of Labor and Industry and CA Department of Industrial Relations that I should essentially have been paid my final paycheck immediately upon termination. Is this correct?

    Secondly, I don't want to return pay I earned.

    How do I fight his inaccurate claim of my lack of work. I have my work hours loosely documented showing that during my time working for the company, my average time worked has come to at least 40 hours/week.

    submitted by /u/sup3rman
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor built under our tree now wants it removed

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 02:33 AM PDT

    There's an on going dispute with a neighbor. Last year they built a boat storage structure 1.5' into the 5' setback along property line. the city come check it out and code compliance has asked them to move it by a date. We have a received a letter from their lawyer stating that we must trim a nuisance tree back from the structure, tree was there long before either of us owned the house. They have increased liability of removal of tree branches as there is a boat that is partially covered by structure. Stern and bow are exposed so trimming of branches would be difficult if not impossible where it is located. Is there a phase or term we can use as they have created an increased liability in removal of branches. I am willing to remove branches as soon as the structure is moved and boat is out for the season. They said we have 7 days or they will have a contractor do it and send us the bill. Not sure how to proceed. Any help would be great thanks.

    Location: Idaho

    submitted by /u/SaveTheAles
    [link] [comments]

    Friend’s daughter being questioned for stealing from a restaurant...

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 02:50 PM PDT

    The person in question is 25 and was working at a family owned restaurant in Colorado. Long story not so short, after she left questions were raised on tickets that had items comped off the bill. They say that she was using a managers code to comp the items and that she was pocketing the money. There's no eyewitness or video evidence that she was doing this, there's only the trail of comped items. The sherif called her this morning and tried to get her to admit to stealing and said that he has enough evidence to get a warrant but was giving her an opportunity to reach out to the owner to 'Work it all out'. She denies that she stole. She is a good kid for the most part but she absolutely might have. At this point, what's the best route legally? If the police had enough for a warrant wouldn't they just get it and question the individual after they were arrested?

    submitted by /u/ashellbell
    [link] [comments]

    Car caught on fire due to manufacturar error. Who is liable?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    My friend's car caught on fire and apparently the car manufacturer had recently issued a recall due to fire risk. He says he had taken the car to the dealer to get it fixed back when he received the recall letter but he says they tried to charge him to fix the issue so he didn't fix it. Can a dealer charge you to fix a problem from the manufacturer?

    He still owes money on the car. His insurance won't cover it. The dealer says they are not liable.

    Is there anything he can do?

    US- Washington State

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/guerrera77
    [link] [comments]

    My boyfriend’s neighbor filed frivolous police reports against me and now it’s impacting my job. (Northern IL)

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    My boyfriend's neighbor filed insane police reports against me in retaliation for an Order of Protection against her and now it's impacting my job. (Northern IL)

    TLDR; my boyfriend lives with his parents, and I live with my parents across town. His family has a Stalking/No Contact order against his neighbor and she filed frivolous police reports against myself and my boyfriend because of it, and now my probation at my job has been extended.

    This is a crazy story, i'm on mobile, and I don't even know if this belongs here so i'm sorry in advance.

    I've been dating my boyfriend around 9 months (July 2019). When we first got together, he told me that his neighbor had been harassing his family, in particular his mother and himself, since May 2019, due to some random chance encounters (the female neighbor's boyfriend jumped in my boyfriends car soliciting him for sex and sexually touching him, and then a few weeks later the female neighbor was cursing and swearing at my boyfriend's mom) so they sought a No Contact/Stalking order against her in June and won.

    Once we started dating, I would park on the street in front of the neighbors house, as the spot directly in front of my boyfriends house has a no parking any time sign, but the spots in front of her house do not. A few months go by and I go to a Jonas Brothers concert out of town, and park my car in front of her house from around 4pm until around 11:30 at night, roughly 2 and a half hours longer than I usually would have in total. That spurred her into this crazy, 4-month long tirade of filing frivolous motions in the OP case and making our lives a living hell (This has all been settled now so that isn't an issue as my boyfriends family hired a lawyer and the court basically told her to fuck off). This is all just a little backstory to explain her crazy and the hell we've been going through since September.

    Well apparently back last year at the time of me going to the concert that I mentioned, she filed the first police report, claiming that my boyfriend and myself were attempting to hack into her home systems (literally what? not possible as we don't even have time for like any of that), claiming that she had open investigations against us and this and that. Then, last month, she filed a police report claiming that I connected my phone to her bluetooth speaker and blasted her living room. I should say that she and my boyfriends families both have home camera systems because of this whole thing, which she mentions in the report (I only know this because in her latest attempt to get the OP thrown out, she wrote a 60-page letter to the courts outlining everything that she has perceived as a wrong against her since August/September of 2019, which the courts hastily denied. My FOIA requests have been denied twice due to "pending investigation"). The cameras do show me on the street that day at the time she says, but I remember that day vividly as my boyfriend and I left his home later than usual to get my sister from work (I will mention all of her grievances match up with situations where I act out of my normal schedule I.E. the concert and picking my sister up later than normal).

    When I discovered this in early March, I immediately told my employers, as I had recently gotten promoted and now work for the county, and until March 23rd was under a probationary period. They wanted to know the report numbers, which I only obtained through the FOIA request, as I was not present for either of the reporting incidents. This was all early March.

    Fast forward to today, I get a call from my boss notifying me that my probationary period has been extended to June 23rd, as my actions have reflected poorly on the county and the department under which I work, and until that date or the matters have been resolved, I cannot accrue any sick or vacation time. I want to get this resolved, but both of my FOIA requests have been denied, claiming that both are currently under active investigation. This, however, has been slightly confusing, as no one from law enforcement has reached out to myself or my boyfriend, both supposed suspects (? not sure if that's the appropriate wording), and anyone i've talked to says they would have reached out. I also don't understand as I've been told from a very reliable source that these investigations are not being actively pursued, they are just sitting, categorized as pending, with no detective looking into them.

    I guess i'm here looking for help. I am terrified i'm going to lose my job. I'm a grad student, this is my full time job and only income, and I am planning on moving out of my parents home this summer (pending the current situation in the country and world, of course), and I do NOT want to tell my parents.

    Please help if you can, thanks.

    submitted by /u/sunshineandmoonlight
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment complex using/stealing residents water and power

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 08:39 AM PDT

    I live in an apartment complex with duplex units. Each unit has outside electric and water outlets. Our utilities are our responsibility and we are required, per the lease to keep all utilities connected. The staff of the apartment complex have been using occupied units water/power outlets to fill pressure washer water containers, pressure wash the complexes sidewalks, fill the pool, and water plants. I have photographic evidence of this happening. I have emailed them and asked them how they plan on compensating/crediting residents for water/power used, with no response. Do I have any other options to get them to stop this practice of stealing water and power?

    I understand their need to use power for the pressure washer but filling up a trailer sized massive water tank for the pressure washer with resident's water is inexcusable in my opinion.

    Edit: I live in Georgia

    Edit 2: I also remembered 4 years ago the staff took my personal water hose to water flowers. When I emailed them they apologized and said they were not aware staff was using personal items.

    submitted by /u/runForestRun17
    [link] [comments]

    Being illegally kicked out of my residence during covid pandemic. How do I proceed?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    Short version: My aunt owns a place in Islamorada, FL that I've leased from her for the last 6 months. The HOA has demanded I leave the residence immediately, by tomorrow morning, or they will have me arrested. This is the second time they've said this to me, and they claim I am an illegal occupant. Which is not true. My aunt is calling her attorneys, but what should I do in this case?

    They have been intimidating me with legal threats like they no the cops (good ole boy type town) and that I should listen to them and leave immediately. I'd like to leave because I am now worried for my safety, but there is literally no where to go given the current Covid pandemic.

    They say if I'm not gone by morning the cops will be here and arrest me and put me in jail. They have been very direct and forceful about this, and refuse to call the homeowners whom I have a legal lease with. They have given me no reason as to why I'm being asked to vacate other than I'm an illegal occupant, because the board never approved my lease. They have been aware I've been here for over 6 months and have never said a word until now.

    I could go into the real reasons they want me gone - they want the property of my aunt who is elderly for pennies on the dollar, conract revonations to their own companies, and sell it for tons. I am in the way as I've fixed the place up so my aunt doesn't have to sell - they've done this with many of the units here since taken over ~5 years ago. My aunt has owned the property for over 30 years.

    Sorry for the long post, I am looking for advice on how I can vacate to avoid the threats they've given me, but also be able to take legal action afterwards.

    ANY ADVICE WELCOME and thanks for listening.

    submitted by /u/GD3123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment