• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 8, 2020

    Legal Advice - I think my landlord may be dead or hospitalized and I don't know what to do

    Legal Advice - I think my landlord may be dead or hospitalized and I don't know what to do


    I think my landlord may be dead or hospitalized and I don't know what to do

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    I will have been in this rental property for 10 years this year. In all that time, I've never actually met my land lord. He lives in another state. He used to have properties both in my state and in his state, but after the recession in 08 he mostly pulled everything back to his state. My original lease was for the first year here, after that we never signed another lease but we've never had any issues at all about that.

    I've always paid the rent by making a deposit directly to his account at his bank. When anything goes wrong, he's quick to hire repairmen. We've had a good relationship for the last decade, even if we don't know what the other looks like in person.

    Cue coronavirus. My SO and myself both work in the hospitality industry, and restaurant\bars have been shut down for a month now with no clear end in sight. Unemployment hasn't kicked in yet and we haven't gotten any stimulus check. Rent is due, but we wanted to talk to our landlord about postponing payments until we started working again.

    The landlord's phone goes straight to voicemail. The voicemail box is full Everytime we call. He hasn't responded to texts or emails. We've been trying to get s hold of him for over 2 weeks now.

    Although I've never seen him, he sounds like an older dude and I'm worried about him. I'm also worried about my household.

    What happens if he's not okay? I can provide other details if they might be helpful.

    Edit: My state is Florida. Landlord lives in Kentucky. At least, I hope he still does

    Edit II: I found the property tax information and it only lists his middle initial and a PO box for my state and county.

    Edit III: thanks to a lot of help, some info has been tracked down and I have an address that I'm pretty sure is my land Lords actual house (not just a PO box that might not be checked often). I'm going to send a certified letter over that way explaining my situation and proposing a payment plan for deferred rent. In the mean time, I'm going to keep as much money put aside as possible until I get cash coming in again, when payments will be resumed.

    I'll let you guys know if I hear back. Thank you to everyone who provided advice.

    submitted by /u/SeaOfBullshit
    [link] [comments]

    Manager is jealous of Unemployment Checks. Says refuse them or your fired.

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 03:15 AM PDT

    My work in St. Paul MN laid off all its hourly staff because of covid. Recently boss heard about the $600 bonus to unemployment. He has contacted all his hourly employees yesterday and told them he wants us to come in to work between 5-10 hrs a week and do deep cleaning to get us ready to open. He will pay us 40hrs a week of pay regardless of how much we work. And if we don't take the deal we are fired.

    There's no middle ground for claiming only the hours we worked and then claiming lost wages for the rest.

    He said if we think the 600 is coming we are delusional so we should take his "sure thing"

    if refusing this offer causes termination, would I lose unemployment for refusing work?

    EDIT: I think technically im furloughed, and not laid off. I was just told on the 21st of March that the restaurant is closed until further notice, and would not be scheduled hours until then. Yesterday (April 7th) i was told they want to start adding 40hrs a week to my pay, but will be required to come in and clean "a few hours a week until everything is clean"

    I want to only claim hours I'm working, but they said the 40 hours of pay is mandatory, or they will not want me back when they re-open. - I think it has to do with them applying for one of the covid-19 payment protection programs.

    UPDATE: Thanks for all the responses. They have really helped me understand whats happening, and given me great advice on how to protect myself going forward. After learning more about the PPP, and the rules in place my employer has to follow to qualify, its a lot easier for me to take his offer without feeling it is malicious. I think he just felt offended yesterday that my co workers and I didn't jump for joy, and instead were asking questions he didn't really have answers for at the time. Which in turned made me question the motives behind it.

    submitted by /u/dew4l1fe
    [link] [comments]

    Health Savings Account fraudulently drained of over $3,000 at Target. Desperately trying to get the money back and/or get an investigation started

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 11:49 AM PDT

    About a year ago, someone was able to use my Health Savings Account debit card (while still in my possession) to purchase items totaling over $3,000 at 2 separate Target locations located about 4.5 hours away from where I live (same state, different city/county). It was not until a few days ago that I noticed this when I accessed my account to see if a recent medical expense had been paid. I am a healthy person and don't use the account very much outside of annual check-ups and infrequent prescriptions. Whenever a charge gets posted, I get a general e-mail notifying me that it was used. An unfortunate coincidence is that I used my account during the same month of the fraud, so any of the notifications they sent as a result of the fraud were attributed to the notification related to my authorized charge.

    Because the fraud occurred >60 days ago, the HSA administrator has stated that no reimbursement will be provided. They recommended I contact the merchant (Target) in order to pursue a reversal of the charges (not feeling confident about being successful here, but I'll try) and/or assist with an investigation. IANAL, but I believe this is 3rd degree grand larceny/theft.

    What I am furious about, is I was never required to submit any sort of medical justification for these charges. Use of these tax-free funds is only for qualified medical expenses and the HSA administrator has an entire list of shit that does/does not require documentation (prescription, Dr's note, etc). Had I been prompted by the HSA administrator to provide documentation, I would've had a "WTF?" moment and immediately contested the charges as opposed to having almost a year pass before seeing it.

    There were 2 charges, both at Target locations within a relatively short distance from each other. The first amount charged at one location was about $200, and is what I'm considering a "test" run. The second charge was $2,999.97, same day different location. While I don't know for sure (yet), but that seems like a typical new piece of electronic equipment, furniture, or otherwise completely contrary to "qualified medical expense".

    Thanks for reading this far, what can I do? Target and the HSA administrator obviously have terrible barrier in place to prevent this from happening. Is there still hope to recoup the losses?

    What law enforcement agency do I file a report with? Local PD? The city PD where the charges were made? Federal Trade Commission?

    I have legal coverage through my insurance policy that will fully/partially cover legal expenses for various matters, but I don't know what kind of lawyer could help me so here I am.

    I am fortunate to still have my health, and time to rebuild my account. There have been no other charges since the fraud, and my credit reports are what I would expect. The card in question has since been cancelled. My employer is switching to a different HSA administrator soon, so threatening to close my account doesn't really have any teeth either.

    Appreciate any help in the matter, check your accounts frequently!!!

    submitted by /u/croclogic
    [link] [comments]

    Items Left on Property After Closing (WV)

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 08:43 AM PDT

    WV, Items Left After Close

    Fiancé and I closed on a house on March 6th. In our contract, we allowed the previous owner use of a detached garage for storage 30 days post closing. This was for "fuel oil left in the tank" which she had estimated to be about $450 worth. We moved in to a 60 degree house with a furnace that wouldn't stay lit because there was no oil. We didn't pursue having her remove her stuff earlier, planning to allow the full 30 days.

    About two weeks after closing, the seller came back and told us the soonest she could get movers was April 7th. This being two days over the thirty day mark. It wasn't worth the fight as she was incredibly difficult to deal with throughout the whole process. The garage is packed from wall to wall and we're completely unable to use it because of how much stuff she has.

    April 7th comes and there are movers in my driveway all day. My dog goes nuts it's generally not a great time for us. I go out in the evening to find a note on a napkin tucked under a lawn ornament on my porch. She stated the movers weren't able to get everything.

    Did the items in my garage become my property at the 30 day mark? She got a lot of stuff but some of what's left behind I do have some use for. Id like to reprogram the garage door openers and change the lock. There is an outdoor portion of the garage I'd like to put the rest of her stuff in that I don't want (as well as the 6 bags of trash she left in the garage) and keep what I'd like to have locked up.

    submitted by /u/FFEMT39
    [link] [comments]

    17-year old ran a stop sign and hit my car. Now her insurance company is trying to say I’m partially responsible and that they won’t pay for the full value of my car.

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    A 17-year old girl ran a stop sign at 5:50am and hit my car as I was going through a residential intersection. She had a stop sign, I did not. It totaled my car and only put dents in hers. I'm pretty sure she didn't even have her headlights on. Police were called and she was ticketed for running the stop sign. Now her insurance company is saying that their preliminary investigation is showing that I'm partially responsible because my state (Nebraska) is a "partial fault" state and that I should have "seen her going through the stop sign" So their saying that their only going to give me partial payment for the value of my car. Should I be getting a lawyer involved? Or my own insurance agent? I have State Farm and the girl has American Family.

    submitted by /u/csedlacek93
    [link] [comments]

    [Ohio] Healthcare business/suboxone clinic trying to take custody of my uncle without the family knowing.

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    I'll try to keep this as brief as possible without leaving out enough relevant details. So my uncle has been a drug abuser for a very long time, was addicted to heroin at a time but for many years has just been going to a suboxone clinic. A few years ago he suffered from a mass in his brain that left him with severe cognitive and memory issues. He couldn't remember things from 5 mins prior and would repeat, couldn't remember family, almost like dementia in a way. During that time my mom (his sister) tried to get him into some kind of assisted living program. It was denied 3 times by the state when doing the assisted living assessments because he seemed to be able to take care of himself fine although my mom did get medical power of attorney. He has got a lot better but he still very much is someone who shouldn't be allowed to make all his own decisions on matters.

    So fast forward to two days ago and a lady from the suboxone clinic he goes to (we can't stand this place or the fact they have kept him on suboxone for so long). Anyways she asked my mom if she was aware there was a guardianship hearing April 27th for my uncle. We had no clue!! So I help my mom look into it and I pull up the records from the court website on the case. They filed this all the way back in Feb. Nobody notified my mom, didn't notify any next of kin including my uncles father or son. In fact on the next of kin part of the paperwork filed with the court they only put down my mother and they put down false contact information for my mother giving her an Arizona address instead of her Ohio one. Upon further digging I found the company that started this process for guardianship of him which a business that advertises Elderly assistance, Financial managing and coaching, and a "Guardianship program". Just so happens to also own the suboxone clinic my uncle goes to.

    They have four individuals on the application applying for shared guardianship of him on the basis he is cognitively impaired. They are applying for indefinite guardianship. Upon finding this all out and talking to my uncle and getting him to understand what this really means if these people get custody of him and how they will have control over his life. It's not something he wants at all and they told him differently and everything would be fine. Hard to tell what they told him and doesn't help they provide him legal drugs. He things that he has nothing to worry about that he's fine and a judge would see that. He is borderline refusing to try and let any family help him with this matter and it's clear he's fairly clueless and ends up forgetting everything we explain to him about what is happening. Which appears to be a business trying to take advantage of him and I am sure make money off him as they will be in control of his finances.

    Beyond that because of the Corona Virus they have made the hearing one that will take place over the phone on April 27th.


    We are trying to figure out what options we have and the best course of action. Even if the court decides he is incompetent and needs guardianship, that's fine but that responsibility should go to a family member. His sister, myself, my sister, etc.. instead of a small apparently shady business appointing 4 random people to take custody/control of his life. Is there a way we can get involved in the hearing? My uncle even said he would tell the judge he doesn't want those people to have custody of him, but it's hard to tell what he is turning around and telling the clinic. I would have to assume if the court decides he needs guardianship a family member that is well qualified should be chosen over random people as part of a business.

    TL;DR(ish) Suboxone Clinic/Healthcare service filed papers to take Guardianship of my uncle without notifying family or next of kin and even supplied false contact information. Court hearing is teleconference April 27th. We the family and even my uncle does not want this place to get custody of him.

    Company trying to take guardianship of him: https://lifespanohio.org/

    I can also provide the public records (filed paperwork) on the case from the county court website.

    submitted by /u/Venom_Junky
    [link] [comments]

    Drunk people keep crashing through our fence, police won’t help

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 08:44 AM PDT

    A road running east and west dead ends into our property. We have a gate at the dead end, house is off to the side. There is a busy T intersection with a streetlight in front of our gate. The city did place reflective safety signs on our fence (right or left only)

    Over the last couple of years there has been at least 7 incidents (always over night) when a drunk driver runs straight through the T, crashes through our fence and continues on to our yard. We have a couple of acres with a pond. A dude once ran his Jeep straight into our pond. This was years ago, and he did end up fixing the damage. After this guy, we have had to pay every time.

    About 6 months ago a guy ran his truck through the fence, drove about 100 yards in and got stuck in the mud. We woke up the next day to a truck with no one around. He comes back later for the truck, the police are called. They did a report, the guy says sorry man "I wasn't driving my truck. Someone else took it." The police even found drug paraphernalia in the vehicle. After months of back and forth with insurance, we had to pay for the damage to be fixed.

    So, a couple of day's ago it happened again. We wake up, fence is crashed in the same area, car tracks left where they crashed through, then drove all over our property (scary) and left. THIS time, their license plate was left stuck to the fence! Jackpot right? The police come out as usual, make a report. They tell us today they can't help.

    We have dogs and the intersection is very busy. If they ever got out they would get hit in an instant. People/families walk on this street several times a day, heavy pedestrian traffic. Feeling frustrated and do not want anyone to get hurt. Not to mention the repairs are very costly. Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks for reading guys

    Edit for location: Texas

    submitted by /u/tagskee
    [link] [comments]

    Local gym Is still charging me after they have closed

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 08:37 AM PDT

    The title pretty much says it all. My local gym has been closed due to COVID for the past month but yesterday I found I was charged. I went to their Facebook and found a post saying they are going to continue billing everyone and make improvements to the location. This would be relatively ok with me but I personally know people who work there and everybody is laid off. How can they do this? They say they are going to add days to the end of the service but as a month to month user this doesn't really help me. I guess I have to cancel months in advance to take advantage of my time? Everyother local gym has automatically frozen all billing. What about all the people who can't afford the $30/month? They are being unresponsive to my emails and will not answer the phone. They have since deleted that Facebook post due to the 300+ comments all saying they are planning on canceling (which you have to do in person btw). I'm personally furious but I may be overreacting. What are my options here? Located in the United States.

    Edit. Added Location

    submitted by /u/MDEChad69
    [link] [comments]

    Car lease is ending - Ford faxed me a “new” copy of the lease which differs from my original copy.

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 11:57 AM PDT

    I signed a car lease with Ford in 2017. The original lease stated "You must pay to the Lessor "N/A" per mile for each mile in excess of 45,013 miles shown on the odometer"

    After speaking with a representative about my lease end options, whom told me that I owed .20c per mile in excess, she faxed me a copy of the lease which literally had the N/A crossed out and a .20 written in with a pen. My initials are right next to the .20 (which is a place where initials were not even required) and they are definitely not mine, the handwriting is different from every other place that I initialed on the lease and my original copy does not have initials there.

    Do I have any options here? Can they legally do this?

    submitted by /u/micrander
    [link] [comments]

    My employer failed to give me the correct PPE when working with chlorine gas. Now my lungs are burning

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    Today my company decided to do a full top to bottom clean of our pharmacy because we had bacteria growing in the entire facility. The director of quality found a cleaning agent called chlorine dioxide (also known as chlorine gas) which comes in tablet form. We mixed these tablets with water into round-up weed sprayers. We were told the concentration was 1ppm. We were given goggles, gloves and N95 masks. After 3 hours of spraying this chemical on every device and surface the entire staff was coughing and feeling dizzy. I have a history of asthma and was coughing a ton. My supervisor saw this and forced me to go home. Many of my coworkers left shortly after I did because of similar issues. Its been 8 hours since i was sent home and my lungs are still burning. Ive been doing some research and OSHA says we were supposed to be wearing respirators and N95 masks were not sufficient. OSHA also says we the max concentration we should have been working with for chlorine dioxide is 0.1ppm. We are supposed to continue cleaning tomorrow and I am thinking about not coming in. Many of my coworkers are very concerned for their health and I am as well. Is this grounds for a lawsuit?

    Im in vermont if that helps

    submitted by /u/sink44
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor filming us

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    My husband and I live in Orlando, Florida in a neighborhood with an HOA (not sure if that's relevant). Our next door neighbor clearly dislikes my husband for reasons unknown to us. She will just start criticizing him for no reason, attempting to argue with him and get a rise out of him. Keep in mind, they've never actually exchanged names or been introduced. She just harasses him. He spends a lot of time outside in the yard: planting, weeding, watering, etc. Sometimes when he is outside, the neighbor will "follow" him around: if he is in the backyard, she will go outside into her backyard. If he moves to our front yard, she will go into her front yard. While weird, that's not the issue. Sometimes she will start filming him on her phone- she is in her yard, he is in our yard. Unsure if she has audio turned on or not. Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/hconne2
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor told me I am walking at my own risk

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 01:19 PM PDT

    So I live somewhere where there are no laws against a dog being tied up outside as a way of life, only petitions against it so far. Well, as I was taking my dog on a daily walk (which we recently started doing up and down a state owned road) my neighbor told me this: he is okay with me walking my dog, but I was walking at my own risk because his dog tends to break off the chain and will bite people + gets into fights with dogs. If I call animal control, will they be able to do anything about it? At least check if the dog is contained properly? I feel like I shouldn't have to be outside in fear of being attacked by a dog because of a negligent dog owner. Thanks for any advice!

    Edit: I live in NC, USA

    submitted by /u/cowzrlife
    [link] [comments]

    Coworker might be blind in one eye after assault, assaulter only received a misdemeanor.

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    Hi so as the title reads a coworker of mine was assaulted at a grocery store by an employee that has been cleaning carts for us. The person who assaulted my coworker is employed by a third party company to help sanitize the store right now. My coworker was bringing in carts and the sanitation guy began arguing with him and immediately began assaulting him. My coworker was left with a broken nose, broken eye socket and facial lacerations that I know of. He is currently in intensive care and the sanitation guy was arrested on scene but only charged with a misdemeanor. Is there a way to further press charges? Should the store be pressing charges? If charges aren't filed should my coworker sue the third party company or the individual? This is somewhat of a throwaway account for reasons that aren't related to this. This happened in Southwest Ohio.

    submitted by /u/RoutineMoment
    [link] [comments]

    Employer has furloughed my sister but is expecting her to continue working

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    [Maryland, USA] My sister's company has placed her on "company furlough" but are still expecting her to attend meetings and continue work. She's called the department of labor and the state unemployment office but can't get a good answer from the federal line and can't get in touch with anyone at the state level. What are her legal rights/obligations? Should she email her boss and say she won't be working while she's on furlough? The boss seems to be holding her job over her head but hasn't explicitly put anything like that in writing.

    submitted by /u/Mink_Fingers
    [link] [comments]

    Does my mother have the right to sell my stuff against my will and keep the money? (I'm 16)

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 04:49 AM PDT

    Hi people I'm sorry to be bothering you again but I have a new question and you helped me last time so here I am. So my parents are divorced and I'm living with my dad, custody agreement is that I go to my mom's every other weekend. There was an incident with her creepy bf so now I don't want to go anymore and my dad says I don't need to. We're going to go to court to change the custody agreement but right now it's a mess with the pandemic. My mom says she won't pay child support (but you guys told me that she can't do that so it's OK). But right now she's very mad at me and my dad because I don't want to go to her place (but I won't go as long as her boyfriend stays that's for sure). She wants to punish me for not going so she's selling stuff that I left at her place and throwing away or donating some things that are mine. I left some clothes at her place and now she has sent me a video of her putting them in the trash. Those were not my favorite clothes but still. I bought them with my dad so it was his money. I have left a console and games in my room at her place and she says she's going to sell them and they are on e-bay. I bought this with money I earned helping my uncle with painting their house and money my grandfather gave me for my birthday so it's really mine. I think this is unfair. Does she have the right to do this? Maybe if I can prove her it's illegal she will stop.

    Edit: forgot to say that she's texting me all day calling me a liar and she says she's going to tell everyone she knows that I'm a bad person and a liar, is this harassment?

    Edit 2: I'm in Ohio

    submitted by /u/Tylershotwheels
    [link] [comments]

    Can a private University keep an entire Nursing Class from graduating and joining the workforce?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 06:42 PM PDT

    If some of the students were unable to complete their requirements due to the Covid 19 pandemic keeping them from completing clinical hours but others were got enough hours in beforehand can the school essentially institute that everyone needs to be able to graduate or no one can? New law by the Governor adjusted the requirements which makes some people eligible to graduate and help out with the pandemic but the school is potentially going to keep the entire class from graduating since others were not able to meet the requirements. School is located in California. Let me know if more info is needed

    submitted by /u/bmh55
    [link] [comments]

    Leasing Company is Looking to Increase Rent by 355%

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    Originally I have posted this in r/advice but some believe I should be redirected here

    Hey all,

    Actually looking for advice for my sister here, since it's really her pickle. My sister and her roommates down and Tampa are getting ready to finish their lease and move into a new space for at the end of April. They go to school in Tampa, and I believe only one of the roommates is local, the rest (including my sister) live up in New England when not at school. The issue right now is that nobody can get down to Florida right now to do any moving - flights have been cancelled, travel across state borders is difficult, and really nobody should be expected to leave their homes right now anyhow. Despite this, their leasing company is threatening to charge them for a one month lease at $8000. For reference, their monthly rent right now is $2250. I know that every state has different laws regarding allowable rent increases and whatnot but this is financially abusive.

    Nobody can make it down there right now, and I don't think any progress has started in terms of moving any items or valuables, so my sister isn't sure if she can hire movers to pack and move her things.

    Are there any legal options here, should we be looking to contact a tenants' rights organization in Tampa?

    Thanks for the help, A concerned brother

    submitted by /u/Seymoorebutts
    [link] [comments]

    Employer wants LinkedIn Password, is this legal?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    I am in Chicago, we are all working from home and our boss wants our login info to "verify we are reaching out to people" is this legal? I am in a Sales position

    Edit: I had the account before working here but he does pay for my sales navigator

    submitted by /u/HulkHoganExists
    [link] [comments]

    [Oklahoma] evict woman who abandond her kids at my house?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 08:19 PM PDT

    Sorry this is kinda long Throw away account for obvious reasons.

    Back in January my wife's friend (we will call her Abby) was in an abusive relationship with a boyfriend she had been living with who was not the father of the three kids she has (ages 8-12) and the biological father is not around. Being in a bad situation she had no where to go, my wife took it upon herself to have them move in with us to escape the abuse and be able to get her life back together in a safe environment. When she moved in my wife did not have any kind of agreement or terms and conditions of her staying so I wrote up a small living agreement that outlined that she has three months to prove that she is making efforts towards getting a job, getting a car, and saving to secure her own place to live. If she could show ample improvement I would allow her more time to stay but if not she could no longer live in my house. A few rules I included: No drinking alcohol in the house No drinking alcohol or doing any drugs outside the house that would inhibit her ability to perform her obligations to her children or myself No dating/seeing anyone No guests are allowed over

    Now, I know it may seem a bit rude or outside of my place to tell her, let alone put it on this living agreement, that she cannot see anyone while living in the house but my wife had just driven half way across the country to rescue Abby and her kids and to allow them to live in my house, in which we also have three kids of our own. I didn't need her going out and getting in another relationship and start bringing a stranger around my family in house that is already full. Besides if she is working and not having to pay any bills whatsoever then she should be able to move within the three months and then she could date whoever she likes. I dunno if that's something that would hold up legally but I am just trying to protect myself and my family.

    Shortly after getting a job and a car, Abby started staying out later and for longer periods of times going to the bar and ended up getting herself a boyfriend who did not have his own place to live. They thought it would be just fine if they were to stay outside my house living in the car. Even tho I considered this as having a guest over I was being lenient considering my wife saying her boyfriend was a good guy and she deserves to have a break after all she's been through. I gave it some time to see how things would play out but as time went on Abby was spending less and less time in the house with her kids and started spending almost 24/7 outside with her boyfriend when she wasn't at work. I finally told her that she is breaking our living agreement by having him over and that he needs to leave. So when he left she left with him. She has stayed away for almost three full weeks now only stopping by ever once and a while to grab something and then leave. During the weeks I gave her many chances to return and to be with her kids but she says that it would mean she couldn't spend time with her boyfriend and that's not something she is willing to do. She no longer is here to care for her children or provide for them in anyway except to give my wife her food stamp card to buy them food. Her phone has been shut off and I have no way of contacting her except through my wife who is still in contact with her through Facebook. She is going from place to place living with her boyfriend out of her car. I have told my wife that she cannot do this and that she is neglecting her kids and if we don't do or say anything about it to the authorities we would also be complicit in her actions and risk our own kids being taken away. My wife loves these kids and cares for them deeply and doesn't want them to leave but I feel that we can't continue to care for them while their mother refuses to return unless we have some sort of authority to do so.

    I want what is best everyone so I am asking for your help and guidance as to how to handle this situation. My wife doesn't want to lose her friend but she won't listen when I tell her this can be considered a crime for all parties involved. She feels that if we were to file for emergency custody we would be taking her kids away from Abby and that would destroy her friendship. (Too bad so sad in my opinion)

    I do not believe that Abby would return to stay with her kids even if the law was involved or that she would just take the kids somewhere else and that somewhere else would be much worse than them staying at our house.

    I do not want Abby to live at our house anymore seeing that she has taken an act of charity and goodwill and used it to abandon her children in pursuit of a new found lover and moved out anyway. The agreement she has broken on many occasions ends on the 18th of April.

    Please show my wife that something needs to be done now and sooner not later.

    submitted by /u/RealisticObjective4
    [link] [comments]

    15 year old brother in viral video, Ontario Canada

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    On March 19th my brother and his friends were out walking their dogs at a local dog park, this was before any formal restrictions were in place. A lady approached them and began to berate them for being out in a group together, admittedly one of the other kids was a bit rude in response. She recorded the encounter and posted it on Facebook where it now has 100k views. People are threatening violence upon them and attempting to locate everyone in the video. Is there any legal way to get her to take it down? They are all minors and this is in Ontario Canada.

    submitted by /u/throwaway26193782
    [link] [comments]

    Repairman took off with fridge part. Forced to repair with new repair service. Will I win?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 08:14 PM PDT

    Hey everyone this incident occurred in the state of Arizona.

    So a couple weeks ago my tenant notified me of the fridge not working (not keeping cool temps on the fridge side). Being that it would take a couple days for a reputable company to come diagnose, I quickly got on Yelp and Google and found another repair company that could come and take a look the next day.

    A tech showed up the next day and pointed out it was an issue with one of the fans. He subsequently took the fan with him saying he needed to find a replacement part and told the tenant he would be in touch. After a few days of no response I decided to check with a different company especially after my tenant telling me the fridge fan he pulled also affected the freezer fan so now the freezer was not holding temps. Tenant had to throw away as well as distribute remaining freezer foods to friends for temporary holding.

    I had to pay a diagnostic fee, replacement part fee, and an installation fee totaling about $300.

    Today marks 10 days since the visit and no response from the original repair owner (who I initially spoke with regarding scheduling the service). Since then I've left messages and called almost daily. A couple times a woman picked up (secretary) but only apologized and said the owner would get back to me. No response. I tried to get the part back before the new repairman could install but this did not happen. At a minimum I consider this theft (took a part from my property with no approval from myself and did not return) and I had no choice but to proceed with a new fan installation.

    I am now looking to file small claims. No initial work order or contract was signed. No payment was made. All I have are LEGAL telephone recordings discussing the repair scheduling with the owner as well as my tenant willing to testify and/or provide a statement of facts based on his interaction/observation of the repair tech that came out. Do I have a chance?

    submitted by /u/whske
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for Students in Higher Education

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 09:03 PM PDT

    Hello r/legaladvice

    I know this question seems tone deaf at these times but I need to know what my options are down the line once this COVID pandemic is over.

    I am attending Graduate Program at a Private College. Much of what I paid for in the Graduate college is for in person feedback, critique, facilities access. The program is a Fine Arts/ Art program. We also have visiting artist that come talk to the class in person.

    Due to the COVID pandemic a lot of this has moved online, with visiting artists being totally cancelled but we still get critique over Video conferencing. We also don't have access to facilities at this point, this is something that is required, as an Artist, I need to be able to properly dispose of paints and need facilities to properly work on my projects.

    I understand this Pandemic is hitting hard in all facets of society at this point. From a Legal POV what are my options against the school. Can I ask for my Tuition back? It is too late into the school year to pull out and get considerable amount of tuition refunded. All of my Tuition is being paid for my Student Loans.

    I asked r/legal just seeing if it gains any traction here. Sorry if this seems like spam, not my intention. Just looking for answers. The internet research has yet to provide any solid answers.

    submitted by /u/insertgirder10
    [link] [comments]

    My husband had my cell service turned off without telling me.

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 05:43 PM PDT

    I need advice about an issue. I'm divorcing my husband, and his sister was paying for both of our cell phone lines, and the past year it was free on a deal.

    On the day we decided to divorce, his sister turned my line off without telling me. No service. No notice. My phone number was non-existent. I had to purchase and entirely new phone, get a new number, and even a new provider. I hadn't even begun to file for divorce yet.

    Me and my husband had just gotten new phones four months before this, and I paid $250 toward mine, and his sister said they would make monthly payments on the rest if needed.

    It turns out that my line was only free if the phone was connected to my number. So since they shut off my line, they now have to pay the rest of the balance of the phone which is $800. They are demanding I give the phone back to them so they can trade it in to pay less. I told them they can have the phone if they pay me back the $250 I spent on it, since it was their decision to shut my line off.

    I'm wondering if anyone has had to deal with this, since they are claiming the phone is their property? We are in the US.

    submitted by /u/windyhippo
    [link] [comments]

    Dog Troubles

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 08:50 PM PDT

    So here is the situation:

    My wife and I, along with her mother, live on a property on a private street that has about 9 houses on it in Texas, specifically Harris County. My wife and I own an Australian Shepherd named Goliath. Our direct neighbor has two dogs, a large Doberman and a slightly less large German Shepherd. Our homes have no separation via fence or anything else for that matter other than a small stretch of vegetation.

    About 8 months ago they had a different dog that they ended up relocating that bit my dog. My dog had a deep laceration on his side that required surgery and had a tube inserted. This happened on my property (each of us lives on about 1/4 acre, give or take.) Before this incident we had told them many times that they needed to keep there dogs off of our property. They were constantly causing issues such as destroying stuff on our porch such as pillows and decoration, feces all throughout the yard, etc. This incident had me extremely heated and I went over there and demanded that they pay for the surgery, which they did, in cash, and to keep there dog off of my property, else I would call the police. They did pay the cash, and the surgery went fine, it was a rather small injury in the grand scheme of things, but frightening at the time. I never bothered to handle any paperwork with the owner/neighbor, which was obviously stupid, I just accepted the cash and moved on. We are neighbors and we've lived next to each other for a decade.

    There was another incident shortly after that where the dog charged my wife and my son (who was about 14 months at the time) scaring them severely. I told them that if I saw their dogs on my property again, I would shoot them, which I have every right to do in Texas. (They are not bad dogs, I love dogs, they just have absolutely dreadful owners.)

    My mother-in-law decided to call animal control regardless of what I had said to them because she was fed up with the whole situation. They said there wasn't anything they could do, and didn't seem very interested in helping.

    We didn't see any of their dogs on our properties for about two months. Fast-forward a few months and things are right back to where they are. These dogs are constantly on our property, constantly destroying anything we dare leave out on our porch, and leaving feces everywhere. I am so fed up with this situation and have no idea what routes I have available to me to take.

    Our dog is always leashed or in our fenced in garden. We have plenty of room for him to play in the yard, but are afraid to do so for obvious reasons.

    I'd love to hear some advice to possibly remedy, or at least mitigate, this issue.

    submitted by /u/StudyABrod
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment