• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 5, 2020

    Legal Advice - Neighbor likes to shoot guns. Bullets are hitting my mother's house. Police won't help because he's on his property when shooting. [South Carolina]

    Legal Advice - Neighbor likes to shoot guns. Bullets are hitting my mother's house. Police won't help because he's on his property when shooting. [South Carolina]


    Neighbor likes to shoot guns. Bullets are hitting my mother's house. Police won't help because he's on his property when shooting. [South Carolina]

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time kvetcher. I always wondered when something would happen in my personal life to get me to post here.

    So I don't have the talent in MS Paint that some other posters do, but the setup is pretty simple. My mother lives in a home in a planned housing development and her home is on a row on the exterior of the overall property being developed. Behind her is a large drainage which is probably 200-300' wide or so.

    Six months ago my mom moved into a new house and it's been pretty nice. However, in the last few weeks she's been hearing sounds from the woods across the drainage behind her house. She asked the neighbors about the sounds and they told her that it was a neighbor living over that way who likes to shoot wild pigs, rabbits, squirrels and other assorted varmints. Apparently they've all gotten used to this.

    For the last month my mom tells me she occasionally hears something hit her house but could never figure out what. One night last week she's on her back porch eating dinner when she hears asshole neighbor shooting and then hears the "thing hitting her house" sound after which a small piece of metal lands on her table. She takes it to friendly neighbor (next-door) later who tells her it's a 22 caliber bullet.

    After soliciting everyone in the world for advice she calls the police. A police officer arrives, asks her some questions, and then at the end tells her that she probably won't like what he's going to tell her, but since asshole neighbor is shooting guns on his own property he's legally in the clear. Police officer leaves and my mom talks to the growing crowd of friendly neighbors around her house wondering what's going on. She talks about it and they confirm her story. Apparently the police have been getting complaints for years about bullets hitting homes and never do anything because multiple neighbors have had the same thing happen before.

    I really can't believe that my mother doesn't have any recourse here. She hasn't been hurt or injured but why would we wait for that to happen? She lives in a neighborhood with lots of young families as well.

    Here's the challenge: my mom loves to solicit advice but is terrible at following it. Afer the bullet incident she called about seven different people (not including me, for some reason) asking them what she should do. Every single person suggested she should call the police. She did call them after all other seven people told her to, although it's probably just because she ran out of other people to call and not because she thought the advice she'd gotten was sound. I really need to know what I can do on her behalf because if I tell her to do something it's probably not going to happen unless it's what she would have done anyway.

    Update 1:

    Apparently when she called the police they told her to call the Sheriff. Which she did, and apparently the person sent was a Deputy. She still has his business card. When he left the gaggle of neighbors was already congregating and asking questions (again, this is apparently an ongoing issue) and he said said that there will be an investigation and it'll take some time. I'm wondering if that's code for there won't be an investigation and I'm hoping you forget about this and stop calling. Either way she's going to wait and see if anything happens. I told her to give it a week then call the Sheriff's Office back to see if there have been any updates.

    submitted by /u/hypnofedX
    [link] [comments]

    My step dad molested me when I was 12 and physically abused my brother for years . My mom knew the night he touched me and kicked him out. I want to go to the police now that I’m 22 but am scared that my mom could get in trouble for not reporting. He has 4 kids now and I’m worried about them.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    We all still live in Southern California

    submitted by /u/Wildflower1515
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate let in a stranger to take the place, turns out she's from a foreign country and needed to self-isolate for 2 weeks.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 07:11 AM PDT

    This is Ontario, Canada. Roommate of mine, whom I don't ever talk to and don't know well personally, has been a uncooperative child in the house not paying his bills, stealing food and other lousy things roommates can pull. So far it hasn't been too much of a problem but yesterday he decided to scam a girl who just came back from a foreign country in Asia, who only wanted to self-isolate herself in a place no one would be around. Now everyone in the room has been exposed to this woman thanks to him. According to the girl she has no symptoms.

    My other roommate have already tried calling the police but there is nothing can do it seems.

    Is there anything I can do? Am I safe to be with this person? I am confused on what I should do next.

    submitted by /u/needlegaladvice32167
    [link] [comments]

    Employer requires me to wear gloves, I'm allergic to the gloves and they won't buy different ones.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:35 AM PDT

    I am required to wear gloves to handle food, and I have developed an allergy to them since working there. It started as nothing, then I'd be a little itchy after work, and skip to now and one shift wearing gloves causes severe contact dermatitis all over both hands. Large blisters, hives, etc. I requested hypoallergenic gloves, and was told that I can wear them but that I must buy them for myself with my own money.

    What are my options here? I did not document the injury with OSHA but I did report it to the assistant manager in person so she could see what happened.

    submitted by /u/2074red2074
    [link] [comments]

    University Hiring Movers To Pack My Dorm Room Without Consent

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    I'm currently a freshman in college, and I started the school year living in a dorm room on campus. Due to covid-19, those of us who lived on campus were sent home on March 10th (three days before our spring break was scheduled to begin) with the instructions to pack "for a bit longer" than we originally planned (our spring break was supposed to be a week). During our break my university decided to have all classes online for the remainder of the semester, meaning we would have to pack up our dorms.

    The initial process for packing up the dorm rooms was that everyone would sign up for a specific time slot over a period of two weeks in order to pack up their belongings, beginning on the 22nd. I had signed up for a time on the 31st, as I was waiting for a time where I would be the only one moving out (they were allowing up to 8 people to sign up for the same time) because I live with somebody immunocompromised.

    On the 30th, the governor of my state issued a stay at home order. The next day, my university sent an email stating that they were suspending the move out process, and they asked us to choose from two options: to hire a moving company they're partnered with, or to leave our items untouched in our room for us to pack once we are no longer on lock down. I selected the latter option.

    Three days later, they sent another email that went back on the previous agreement stating that we no longer had a choice, and that they would have this moving company pack up our belongings free of charge.

    This seems illegal to me, considering our RAs and even campus police are not allowed to touch our belongings without written consent? Are they really able to let a third party go through my items? Not to mention, the procedures they sent us stated that they would be able to THROW OUT items they deem "unsafe" to transport, including my dishes, detergents, soaps, hair products and other cosmetics. There has been no mention of compensation for these items.

    The thought is causing me so much stress because it's a huge invasion of privacy. I have a huge drawer of bras and panties, hundreds of pictures and prints on my wall, hundreds of dollars in cash in my desk, vintage items and art, shoes that I only trust myself to move in general because they are delicate/easily scuffed, food, detergents, and soaps I was relying on having as I am quarantined, an entire drawer full of cosmetics that I would not be able to get again and, of course, super personal and unpackaged sexual items.

    The most baffling part of it all is that they've mentioned that we will have to personally pick up anything "too big" to move anyways.

    This forced move out is supposed to start Wednesday. Is what they're planning on doing legal? What can I do to make sure it doesn't happen? There's already a petition with around 700 signatures against it.

    I live in and attend school in Maryland.

    TL;DR— My university wants to go back on previous move out agreements and hire a moving company with bad reviews to go through our belongings, pack them, and throw out what they don't deem suitable to pack. Campus police aren't even allowed to touch our stuff, is this third party company allowed to? What can I do in this situation?

    submitted by /u/lovebirdleah
    [link] [comments]

    My uncle lives with family members who contracted COVID-19 and he is being forced to work.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    I need some advice please. My uncle works at an engineering company. He lives with 3 family members, who all got COVID-19 a few weeks ago. My uncle started having symptoms soon after and has been in self-isolation. On wednesday, the hospital cleared one of the family members, but the other 2 are still are showing symptoms. My uncle is feeling better as well, but he still has a slight cough. His boss is now saying he has to get back to work ASAP. My uncle is saying that he would rather have a leave of absence due to him not getting 100% better AND he still has 2 other family members he lives with who are still very sick. At the end of the day, he does not want to lose his job but he also doesn't think it is safe for him to go to work where he can potentially spread it to his co workers. We are in Ontario. Is there anything he can do?

    submitted by /u/jusstyouraverage
    [link] [comments]

    [RI/CT] My parents are refusing to follow their quarantine order

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    There is an executive order in the state of Rhode Island (and Providence Plantations) saying that anyone who has been out of state within the past 14 days must self-quarantine. My family lives in Rhode Island near the border with Connecticut and my parents are refusing to stay in the Ocean State. It isn't a case of "I have to go to my doctor in Connecticut," but rather "I want to go to Big Y instead of Stop and Shop" and "I don't feel like Chipotle (RI); I want Moes (CT)."

    I'm losing my mind. They're both 55, so not high on the ventilator totem pole. Neither of them can comprehend that everyone is at risk for "the Kung Flu." Example: They don't want me to work at Walmart, but they're fine with me working at Target because "there are less undesirables." When I bring up that we're under quarantine because they had to go to freckin' Lowes instead of Home Depot, they say stuff like "I took the backroads; no one knows" and "The quarantine isn't for people like us!"

    I love my parents and I don't want them to die. At the same time, they get angry at the police for "wasting time" when they get traffic tickets. I'm also not 100% positive they're violating the quarantine order, since they aren't going into Rhode Island public space. Lastly, we've all been out of state within the past two days1 and have no way to get essential supplies, since delivery services like Postmates, Uber Eats, and Peapod do not exist where we live.

    What can/should I do?

    1: My parents got take-out from a restaurant and sent me to pick it up. I've been to this restaurant so often that it totally slipped my mind that I was leaving the state. Fuck Tom Brady for leaving us in our time of need.

    submitted by /u/themapoe
    [link] [comments]

    A gynecologist STD tested me without my consent and now I'm being billed $400?!

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 08:36 AM PDT

    I went to a local gyno in West Palm Beach, Florida (I'm new in town so this was a first time visit) for a checkup to make sure my iud was in place. I told her I had bloodwork and had been checked within the last 6 months and did not need any testing done, just to have her feel/see that my iud is still in place. She did something up there, so I took it she checked it. She then left the room and no talk with me once she left the room. A nurse came in and said everything seemed fine, and told me I'm good to go. I never even got called with the results, I called them to ask why I had been billed for an STD test and they went on to be like 'oh yeah here are your results'. How do I report my gyno?! Do I have to pay this?! She did not do what I came there for and how can you STD test me without my consent?! Now Quest diagnostics keeps billing me, I've called me gyno and tried to argue this but the frontdesk person doesn't have much control and I can't speak with anyone else. How do I dispute this and report the gyno?

    submitted by /u/chelseavivas
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal for someone to take charitable donations and then use those to buy products from their own company?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    I know someone who is a averagely known Instagram "influencer" and they are asking for donations. She is then using that money to buy products from her own company to make baskets to give to them. Is this illegal and if so, who should I report them to?

    submitted by /u/HoneyBadgeSwag
    [link] [comments]

    My ex-Landlord is threatening to call my boss to get me fired

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 12:03 AM PDT

    (WA) My ex landlord and I have had a contentious departure. My lease finally ended on 31Mar. I got out of there finally but keep receiving a bill for rent from him. Our lease is totally over and yet he's trying to get me to pay rent for April plus late fees.

    I finally wrote an email today, after the third notice, saying that his demands were laughable and that I thought we'd both be happy to see me gone.

    He has now said he is going to contact my employer, the us military, to complain about my conduct and my physical threats against him. I've never met him or his representative, it's been all via email. I've taken great pains to keep my emails pilot but pithy.

    I'm not worried about my command believing him. I'm worried about the continued harassment. If he does try to get my fired, what's my recourse? Beyond ignoring him, what do I do? This is all compounded by the fact I'm getting ready to deploy during COVID and can't even verify the amount of my returned deposit until months later.

    submitted by /u/Throwawaywalandlord
    [link] [comments]

    Divorced: ex’s new bf paid off some debt and now wants my money

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    Hi All! First time posting here. When my ex and I divorced, there were certain debts we were supposed to split evenly but neither of us paid. It went to collections. Her new boyfriend paid off all the debt in full (I didn't ask for this) and he's telling me I have a day to tell him what kind of payment plan I will agree to in order to pay him back for the full amount. If I don't respond he will take me to court. I never asked him to pay this... could he legally force me to reimburse him? We were divorced in the state of Indiana, in case that is relevant. They both now live in Ohio.

    submitted by /u/Buchheit7
    [link] [comments]

    Social security has informed me that I am not a US citizen and that it is on me to prove it.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:18 PM PDT

    Basically I am a citizen and have been since I was 8. Pay taxes and everything. I have a passport, and my parents are also citizens, though none of us were born in the US. Social Security says in their records I am not a citizen and it is on me to prove it. How do I make them look it up on their own? (USA)

    Edit: not a scam I called them

    submitted by /u/bumblebee3434
    [link] [comments]

    GF's Dad Lied and Forced Her to Get $10,000 Loan

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    So long story short. My gf(20) and her family don't necessarily have the greatest relationship....There was a lot of childhood abuse among other things. Her dad recently became homeless due to being a complete utter failure of a human. He buttered her up by saying he would let her live with him for free and asked her to take a loan out FOR(so no co-sign) so he could purchase a mobile home. He has since become AWOL, kicked her out and shes become homeless. She possesses text messages displaying his intent to pay the loan and acknowledgement that it was for him, but I'm not to sure what she can do with that from a legal standpoint.

    Is there any avenue that she can take for this?

    tdlr: GF's dad made her take 10K loan out and stole it.

    submitted by /u/DrunkLegere
    [link] [comments]

    PA Background check - Can I ever own a gun?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    I am thinking about purchasing a firearm. I was involuntary committed (302) when I was 15 years old and evaluated for 3 days. I am now a 31 years old without any mental or criminal record. Will this stop me from purchasing a gun? Has anyone have any experience with this?

    submitted by /u/yuimba
    [link] [comments]

    [Florida] can a parent file for child support after the child becomes an adult?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    My son is 19, his father has never paid child support, nor was he ever court ordered to. Deadbeat dad who would pop in and out of his life periodically for a split moment. He was a heroin addict living on the streets bouncing from city to city, state to state and spent 6 years in prison. I left him shortly after finding out I was pregnant because I found out he was doing drugs. I knew I couldn't draw blood from a turnip which is why I never fought for child support through the courts when my son was a minor. And frankly, I didn't want him around my son since he would just show up high as a kite sometimes out of the blue. My son's father seems to be stable now after all these years. Can I still file for back child support for my son's last two years of him being a minor? My son has severe mental issues and feel his father should be paying towards his treatment, but he refuses to give me a dime.

    submitted by /u/Zewsey
    [link] [comments]

    Landlords want to allow an inspector into our apartment in the midst of StayAtHome and Social distancing orders. What are our options? [Burbank, CA]

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    Hey there,

    Hopefully this will be easy and straightforward.

    Our landlords just served us with a "24 Notice of Entry" letter saying they want to let an inspector for a potential purchaser into our apartment.

    My roommate and I have been taking the social distancing and stayathome orders VERY seriously, and in addition to that we are both working from home. I have heavy meetings all week due to Disney furloughing everyone starting on the 17th and I don't know what my status will be, and I have a VERY important meeting about my employment during the time they've scheduled. Obviously I can't go elsewhere to have this meeting since there's nowhere else to go. It also can't be rescheduled due to tight schedules and a furlough deadline.

    Do I have any options to be able to go back to the landlords and reschedule or ask for a longer notice? It also unsettles us that in the midst of all COVID-19 stuff they're asking us to let a complete stranger into our apartment when we have literally nowhere else to go.

    Thanks.

    Edit: I just read the COVID-19 FAQ and saw that faq about landlords showing apartment to potential tenants, and this isn't exactly a potential tenant they're showing this to, but also it has a lot more to do with the meetings and working from home parts.

    Also, I'm more curious about California/Los Angeles specific laws and regulations about this since I know how stringent and strict California is being. Thanks!

    Edit 2: This inspector is being expected to go to all 14 units one by one, which is another reason it makes us uncomfortable.

    submitted by /u/trebory6
    [link] [comments]

    My brother is not taking COVID seriously. My mother is in two high risk groups. What can she do to evict?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm really scared here for my mother's health. My brother does not seem to care about COVID-19 and is going about all of his daily affairs including going to high-traffic spots like convenience stores. He's an adult and lives with my mother. My mom is in her 60s and has reduced lung function and heart problems. Despite this he refuses to limit his outings, wear a mask, gloves, wash his hands, anything. He simply does not give a damn. He never has about much of anything there, but now is literally a life and death situation for my mother.

    He's been a problem for a while, and I've been telling her to serve him eviction papers for years now, but now with the courts being out I feel like she's out of luck. Is there anything she can legally do to get him out of the house and protect herself? We're in New York state, if that helps.

    submitted by /u/TheSinfulBlacksheep
    [link] [comments]

    What do people think of this item on a lease I've been offered?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 09:06 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I've turned in an application for a rental house and they sent me a copy of the lease to look over. This item stood out to me as unusual and I wanted to see if anyone could make heads or tails of this. I want to know if this makes me liable for damage to the house or property if a storm blows a tree over on the house.

    1. "Owner shall not be responsible for any damages of any kind caused by lack of heat, refrigeration, or other services to the Premises arising out of any accident, act of God, or occurrence beyond the control of Owner. Tenant further agrees to be responsible and pay for damages, fines, or fees incurred by Owner caused by acts of Tenant, other occupants of Premises, pets and/or guests or visitors."

    EDIT: Oregon, USA

    submitted by /u/throwaway985781
    [link] [comments]

    (Update) Notice to vacate within 5 days.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 12:13 PM PDT

    Thanks to those who responded to the original post. Original

    So, it's been another day. This morning, I wake up and both the door to my bathroom is locked and the door leading to the second bathroom downstairs with the laundry is locked. I called the police. They said they can't do anything because its a civil matter. I go out to go to the bathroom and get some food. By the time I come back, now I'm locked out of the house. I call the police again. Again civil issue that needs to be settled in court.

    I finally get back in when I agree to wear a mask, and get sprayed down with disinfectant and vinegar all over my clothes. She makes me take off my shoes and and sprays it all over including the bottom.

    Do I literally have no recourse? Her defense is that the covid 19 stuff allows her to enforce strict measures to protect her life. Am I just held hostage to her like this?

    I've started documenting all these instances. Please don't tell me this is legal. I'm losing my mind.

    submitted by /u/throwaway1238712
    [link] [comments]

    Salons charging booth rent during forced COVID-19 closure mandated by state legal?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:05 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    My girlfriend is a hairstylist in FL. The owner of the salon is requiring that they pay all accrued booth rent (400/wk) when the crisis subsides. This just seems largely unethical that independent contractors could be held accountable for a business's overhead. I feel the owner and only the owner should be liable to make sure the business stays afloat with insurance, loans, not payments for a chair that they cannot use to make money. It feels a lot like she is trying to profit off of a crisis. Any input on this situation is greatly appreciated. Thanks for everything you legal professionals do!

    submitted by /u/eighthnote_
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord tried to evict me but couldn’t because of COVID -19. He was incredibly angry and tried to instigate a fight. Now want to “surprise inspect”.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    I live in Indianapolis IN, and due to COVID i fell behind on rent. My landlord is trying to get me to leave and is being really nasty cussing me out and dissing me calling me "kiddo" and "liar" and "sleeze". He just said he is coming by tmw to "surprise inspect" my house. Im honestly really scared and i don't know what to do. He is being really scary. I also plan on paying and have told him that i just needed more time. I really dont want to have this situation escalate in person (i might hit him) and i also dont want to break my quarantine ive been meticulously socially distant

    Edit: he has never come by before. Is there a way he can just not come? What if he just never leavs or sits in my driveway all night. Thats the kind of guy he is proving to be.

    submitted by /u/liluziverb4
    [link] [comments]

    Father passed and his girlfriend has shut me out. Do I have rights?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    My father just passed away and I live out of state. It was apparently wet sudden. His longtime girlfriend has given me very limited information about the circumstances and is also telling me that I can't come to the house to deal with his affairs. She is not really communicating with me stating that she needs time to grieve and will not give me a timeframe that she feels is sufficient. This is all happening in the midst of COVID-19 and my dad is in Hawaii with a mandatory 14 day quarantine so getting there will not be easy for me. But some of the things that are happening are making me very uneasy. I am feeling like she hid how bad he was and didn't give me the opportunity to say goodbye. She specifically told me to stand down and not come two days before and I missed my chance to see him one last time. Now she is saying that I cannot come to collect his remains until she is ready. From what I understand Hawaii has no common law marriage and I am his only daughter. Aren't the next decisions mine to make. What steps can I take to ensure that his wishes are carried out?

    submitted by /u/mkl83
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment