• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 1, 2020

    Legal Advice - Got a hotel room. Room I got was not described. Can I dispute charges?

    Legal Advice - Got a hotel room. Room I got was not described. Can I dispute charges?


    Got a hotel room. Room I got was not described. Can I dispute charges?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 07:58 AM PDT

    Live in North Alabama

    Got a room at a place called the "grand palace inn". The hotel offered "free WiFi" that did not work and the room was awful. Late last night I decided to get a room here to crash.

    I got the key and went out to grab some food. When I got back to the hotel the room was really stinky and it wasnt just smoke smell.

    The sheets as soon as I got in them I could tell smelled moldy and didn't appear to be washed.

    The shower barely provided any warm water and the toilet had such low power that if you decided to shit it wouldn't even flush.

    I tried to tough it out with all this but I start felt itchy on my neck and back and appear to have small bites from something. The total time I was at hotel was a hour or less. I told the on duty employee my problems and he said I could turn in my key and call back in the morning for a refund.

    I called in the morning. The guy on the phone said next time just don't come in here and get a room. No refunds and immediately hung up on me.

    Am I legally allowed to dispute this transaction with the bank since I did not get a working or "safe" room and some of the services like "free WiFi" that were promised did not work.

    I had to go and find a better hotel to stay at and that one was perfect. I chose a hotel that offered wifi cause I needed to get some work done but was unable to cause it didn't work.

    I'm out 70$ and every penny matters for me. I'm beyond frustrated because this the worse service I ever received at a hotel and I just want my money back cause I couldn't even stay at the place.

    submitted by /u/TheLoneWanderer1775
    [link] [comments]

    My parents just shaved my sister's head bald for dying it without permisission

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 08:05 PM PDT

    North Carolina

    My (15 y.o) little sister (13 y.o) recently decided to use Hydrogen Peroxide to die her hair light brown. When my Mom learned about it she flipped shit, and after her and my Dad screamed at her for a bit, they completely shaved her head... All hair. Gone. They've always been emotionally abusive and treated me and my siblings like shit... but this is the final straw. I'm hesitant to really try and do something about it and make my parents mad at me, because obviously they could make my life really miserable... but I want to check all my options at this point... thoughts?

    submitted by /u/throwaway86342
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord has been stealing my oil for almost 2 years

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 03:17 PM PDT

    I live in MA. I rent an in-law style apartment where my landlord lives in the main big house (by herself) and I live in the (only connected by a breezeway, but all under the same roof technically) in-law side (also by myself). My lease states that all utilities for the in-law apartment are to be paid by the tenant and that the apartment has its own separate meters & oil tank. I verified before moving in that it is in fact a legal apartment with separate meters and 2 separate oil tanks (or so I thought).

    The oil tanks are in my landlords basement, which I do not have personal access to. I've requested before to see them (for unrelated issues - mainly to be able to check the oil level), but there is always an excuse as to why I can't.

    Anyway, I've lived here for almost 2 years and at first, I didn't really notice if I was going through oil fast or not (never had it before, so wasn't sure what the norm was). But recently, I've been noticing that I've been going through 100 gallons every month for the past 3-4 months (I'm on automatic delivery and the company can tell when it gets low I guess and they automatically show up and then bill me).

    I finally called to try and figure out why I'm going through it so much, and they didn't really know what to tell me.

    Today was how I found out.

    I woke up to no heat and no hot water (they both run off of my oil). I was confused but it was too early to call the oil company (they weren't open yet) so I waited it out. My phone rang and my landlord asked me if I had run out of oil, because HER WATER WAS COLD. It didn't even dawn on me what she was saying when she said it.

    However, I called the oil company, they came out, and had to prime my tank and gave me another 100 gallons.

    I asked the tech if it was normal for my landlord to not have hot water when MY tank ran out of oil, seeing as how we have separate tanks and I didn't understand why my tank had anything to do with her water. The tech confirmed that my tank shouldn't have anything to do with her water as were completely separate. I advised my landlord that it seems as though the oil I pay for is going towards her hot water (and most likely heat as well), and she immediately got defensive and said "well I guess that's just how the house was built" and closed the door on me.

    I can't imagine this is legal, especially with a lease, and it being rented as completely separate utilities. I've clearly been paying for her heat and hot water for almost 2 years and now I'm pissed at her response when I tried to ask her about it.

    Do I have any legal grounds?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/EMTguy32
    [link] [comments]

    [Florida, USA] My employer has just fired me for "no call no show" after I'd informed them I would be gone due to my son's birth.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 04:58 PM PDT

    So for months we've known we were having a child. After being diagnosed with preeclampsia our doctor scheduled an induction Monday March 30th. I've been communicating with my HR and Supervisor about the entire plan and had informed them several times of my intention to use a week of my PDO to cover this week for the birth, recovery, and transition. When I notified HR the week of the 19th (when I found out the induction date) she informed me that I may have to take FMLA, but it shouldn't be necessary if I had the correct amount of time to cover it with PDO unless I needed to take more. I was also instructed that filing the pdo was not necessary as I had spoken with her about it. She gave my supervisor the papers for FMLA to give me the next week and I have them but they have not yet been filled out yet. We are currently in the hospital and corporate HR called me and informed me I was terminated for being no call no show for two days. My son was 27hrs old. The termination letter was dated yesterday March 31st with my benefits ending same day, however I was not informed until today April 1st. I guess my questions are do I have any recourse? In giving me the FMLA paperwork can I file it as a violation for firing me? I don't even want to go back there to be honest but i cant be unemployed and uninsured with a newborn. Any advice helps.

    submitted by /u/Icanflyfortenseconds
    [link] [comments]

    (CA) Got notice of a modification of child support for my children because of a change in custody circumstance. Plot twist: my ex has neither paid any child support OR seen the kids in almost a full year.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    I have two kids with my ex boyfriend, 13 months old and a newborn baby. I found out I was pregnant with the newborn a few days after we split.

    The child support and custody order was put in place a couple months after he left, and then modified slightly when the second baby was born.

    His child support amount was calculated based on his involvement with the children which is 0. He was offered 50/50 custody and I agreed to no child support being paid if he took 50/50 custody.

    He declined. Literally said he'd rather pay child support than have even partial custody.

    His current amount in arrears isnt huge, and this isn't really about the money at all, but he never paid child support even once and hasn't seen either child once. He signed the birth certificate for child 2 and saw her then, but I'm not counting that.

    I got notice that he had filed with updated information stating he was now seeing them 50% of the time (the asshole went as far as to list days of the week) and that there would be a modification of child support to reflect this.

    I don't really have a lot of concrete evidence that he ISNT seeing them, I have the evidence that he hasn't paid CS but he's claiming he's been doing 50/50 for a few months now, but I was never in the habit of keeping receipts for things I bought for them or anything. I keep the custody stuff off social media too.

    My question is how difficult is this going to be to fight? Is there something criminal in what he's doing or just really freaking annoying?

    submitted by /u/2littlebirdygirls
    [link] [comments]

    My tenant is taking advantage of the coronavirus to not move and make us pay for it.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm a landlord and I currently have a very troublesome tenant. Around two years ago, we rented to a couple and in that time, they have caused us a plethora of problems. The first of these problems, is that these tenants rented out our house to people without our permission, which is illegal in Ontario as you aren't allowed to have more than one family in each household. After months of rigorous pushing and legal action, those families were finally gone, but the couple we rented to has a contract until the end of March, which is today. Moreover, in our house they have damaged a lot of our walls and wiring. In our basement they cut some of the wires connecting to different rooms and there are many different holes in the walls when we visited. We are currently pursuing legal action but most likely we'll have to pay out of our pocket for this. Here's the worst part; since our contract with them ends in March, they're supposed to move out... they're now bringing up the fact that the coronavirus is making them unable to move even though there are various moving companies that are available here. We know that they're now trying to squat in our house without paying rent for the next couple of months, as our provincial government just stated that rent does not have to be paid and evictions are suspended until further notice. The tenants have also now cancelled all of the electrical, water, and heating bills and moved it to our account. We have tried and we aren't allowed to move it back to them without consent... so they're staying in our own property and we're paying for it. Both me and my wife was recently laid off as well and we still have to continue paying the mortgage and fees associated with the house, if we delay the mortgage due to the coronavirus we still have to pay compound interest, which will cost us a lot more. What can we do? We're in a really bad spot now and all that's happening is we're getting taken advantage of. Please help

    submitted by /u/throawayzjxjsjdkdk62
    [link] [comments]

    Work wants us to sign agreement that they can come at anytime during the day and “inspect” my home setup.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    For context, I am in NY. My company recently gave us USBs to log in and work from home. And now we have to sign an agreement that has a few various standard procedures, except one. It states

    "You agree that the company has the right to make periodic visits to your home to audit your compliance with this work from home agreement. The company has the right to inspect your workstation as if you were working on site during scheduled hours. Reasonable efforts would be made to schedule such visits in advance"

    I've never had something like this before, I understand this is unprecedented times, but shouldn't there be named company people who would do this? Not just "the company?" Because who would want someone visiting their home during this time?

    I am just wondering the legality of your work showing up at home whether you want them to or not.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Notsureifchoboo80
    [link] [comments]

    [PA] New landlord took over, charged carpet cleaning after moving out

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 05:04 AM PDT

    I recently moved out of an apartment I was living in for 1.5 years. During that time, a new landlord bought the building. After they purchased it, I signed a document basically acknowledging I would be sending my rent payments to the new landlord and contacting them about any issues, but did not sign any sort of new lease or adendems to my current lease.

    When it was time to move out, they sent me a move out checklist which mentioned professional carpet cleaning would need to be done no later than the 2nd last day of occupancy. I re read the actual lease I had signed with the original landlord and it did not mention anything about requiring professional carpet cleaning before move out.

    I sent them an email stating that and didn't hear anything back. When I moved out, the carpet was in the same condition as when I moved in, no stains or any sort of damage. I took a number of photos including the carpet. I received my security deposit back with $200 taken out for "professional carpet cleaning" (no receipt or listing of any damages). Am I in the right to assume that I didn't owe them for the carpet cleaning since it wasn't mentioned in my lease?

    submitted by /u/chad_the_exorcist
    [link] [comments]

    Old landlord wants us to pay to upgrade carpet?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:01 AM PDT

    We just moved out of our old apartment and we took pictures of our place before we moved in and after we moved out. The landlord is trying to charge us $500 because they say we've damaged the carpet. We've noticed that they are upgrading the unit to hardwood floors. I was under the impression that they can only charge us to restore the floors to their original state. I feel that she is charging us because they're upgrading the apartment and not because we damaged anything. Is it worth going to court or should we just pay the $500 and be done with it?

    I'm in Tennessee.

    submitted by /u/pmmewienerdogs
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord having me and roommates pay extra $50 bc our water bill was "too high"

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    Hi! I live in Oakland Ca,,,,My landlord made me along with my 3 other roommates pay him 50 extra dollars (200 total) each months because he claims our water bill was so high, I did not understand why bc we didnt really....use water and one of my roommates had been gone a while... I had asked him to see a water bill, he was super offended by it so instead, we've been paying him just so he wont get mad at us. Its been a few months and he said he'd "lower it to 25 each" if the water usage slowed, but no apparently its still very high. I feel like I need some sort of evidence that I need to be paying him. And in the lease he says he'll be paying for water, and it says nothing about extra charges.... thanks for help ...

    submitted by /u/UowoUn
    [link] [comments]

    How to not get sued if someone drowns in my lake behind my house.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 11:08 AM PDT

    In North Carolina USA. No HOA. I live on a 5.5 acre lake/pond. 5 of my neighbor's backyards end at the lake. On the other side of the lake is a separate housing community called Manor Crossing that is not part of the property of the lake, I know because I checked the tax record for the lake and parcel of land it includes.

    Recently due to COVID-19 people from Manor Crossing have been using the lake, fine no big deal, I want people to be active but they have started to cut down trees and bushes that I like up as it acts as a privacy fence. There is no man made fence or no trespassing signs. When I called the police they said only the owner of the lake can lodge a complaint because its not my property. The owner lives on the other side of town and could care less about the lake. But I found out through neighborhood gossip that he has been trying to off load the lake for free on people in my neighborhood, I believe due to the liability he could possibly face if someone gets injured or drowns.

    I am thinking of taking ownership of the lake but before I approach him I want to know the best way to avoid getting sued if someone drowns in the lake. I am currently looking into a $5million umbrella policy with my home owners insurance but is there another way? Could I setup a LLC? Any advice will be helpful.

    submitted by /u/bleezerfreezer
    [link] [comments]

    [MO] Got laid off due to covid and now my boss won’t give my girlfriend and I our last check because “he’s in a jam”

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:29 AM PDT

    text conversation.

    My check was due to me on Friday and he's been making excuses up until now when he just straight up told me he won't be getting it to me, as seen in the text. I need the money to pay my rent. What're my options here? Is he allowed to not give me my check because he couldn't handle his finances properly?

    Edit:

    More conversation: he's just broke. If he ends up filing bankruptcy (he's using an LLC) am I just out a paycheck? Should I take what I can get from him, the $1,000 and just call it good? I'm worried if I tell him I'm filing a claim he just won't give me the 1,000, file bankruptcy, and be done with it.

    submitted by /u/Bizzzleshizzzle
    [link] [comments]

    Being charged $500 for electric meter tampering

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    We just got charged over $500 by our electric company. They are claiming that the meter was tampered with, and that the people who came out to check on it saw fingerprints. This is our first home, and we moved here in August of last year. To be honest, I did not even know where our meter was located, nor would I know what to do to "tamper" with it. They said the only way to get out of this is by proving we weren't in town at the time. My husband just happened to be in Las Vegas for a bachelor party at the time, but I was here with my 2 year old. Is there anything we can do?

    submitted by /u/Bikinisandbrushes
    [link] [comments]

    my neighbor is trying to prevent me from getting my groceries delivered

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    hi, I don't drive and deliveries are hard to get these days and I have a child so it's very important that I get my groceries and other deliveries

    the only way a delivery person can get in the building is to call me and I come down to let them in

    but my neighbor keeps taking down my note on the front door telling the delivery person who to call

    there are several notes out there and mine is the only one that gets ripped down, repeatedly, for weeks now

    but I have not actually seen her do it, but I've lived here for years with no problems from the other tenants - she's the only one who would do this

    is there anything I can do legally or otherwise?

    thanks!

    Washington State

    submitted by /u/hairdyes
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve been advised to “self isolate” but am being forced to use my own PTO?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 07:47 AM PDT

    Hi, please guide me if I am not in the right subreddit but I am just very confused and don't know what to do. I work for a healthcare office, and my desk partner tested positive. My admin and the providers I work with all met and it was decided that I stay home the rest of this week for a "reduced self-isolation" due to the time I've already been directly exposed. So I am to return on Monday 4/6/2020. However, I was told that I am required to use my own PTO to cover this week and I'm not covered under the family first law that has just been implemented. I was reading through a couple things regarding the act that say I my employer can't require me to use me own time. Is this true? Or did they find a loophole and a way to screw me out of it? My issue is they are medical providers advising my self isolation but when I followed the steps of screening for testing no provider will excuse me for anything less than 2 weeks. I work with high risk patients, most of them with heart problems among other things.

    Can the providers I work with qualify under the act as medical providers advising a self isolation, therefore allowing me to use this emergency time? Is it in my best interest to just reach out to my own doctor and ask to be out for 2 weeks based on my direct exposure ? Sorry for the messy post, I am just extremely confused and don't know what to do from here.

    Edit: I am in California. My business is less than 500 employees.

    submitted by /u/lamepirate
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal to put someone that lives with you on the census if they don't want to?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    My roommates and I are trying to fill out the census and one of them sent it in earlier. Now one roommate is saying it's illegal for us to have sent it because we put her name on a document without her agreeing to it...

    submitted by /u/cherrycontra
    [link] [comments]

    Employer requiring all employees to use vacation time to “protect the business” AND keep working?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    I'm in consulting, so times are tough right now. Similar to lawyering, we bill clients and when we can't we are "on the bench", eating cost for the firm but also doing valuable presales work, etc.

    Just got this directive from employer, below. We are all allowed and directed to work from home.

    2 questions: - we earn and accrue vacation time. Is this legal? - the implication here is that we CONTINUE to work (doing presales etc.) while we "bill vacation". That cannot be legal to ask of people, right..? Is the use of the word "should" below meant to imply "must" but isn't an actual requirement?

    Employees who are 1. Currently on bench or 2. Moving to bench or 3. Not 100% utilized. Vacation time should be taken before using the bench code. 80 hours of either roll over vacation hours or 2020 vacation hours at a minimum should be applied before using the bench code.

    · Residents of California, Montana, and Nebraska who are on the bench or roll to the bench between now and June 30 should use their vacation bank and up to 80 hours of current vacation hours during their time on the bench

    · Residents of other states should use carry over vacation and up to 80 hours of current during their time on the bench

    submitted by /u/--his_dudeness--
    [link] [comments]

    Wife's employer threatening termination if she doesn't temporarily move in to facility due to Covid. (Texas)

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    Texas.

    I have limited information at the moment, but this is what I know so far. My wife works at an upper class retirement community. Due to the Covid outbreak, the corporate office is saying that employees will likely have to temporarily live on premises for 8-10 weeks. If any employee refuses, they will be terminated and unemployment benefits will be denied. While I'm pretty sure that she would still recieve unemployment benefits based on the Covid stimulus package, I'm unsure about forcing employees to move in.

    I appreciate any advice pertaining to the move-in aspect of the situation.

    submitted by /u/johnnyhumanseeds
    [link] [comments]

    (MA) Is sniffing "bathroom smells" sexual harassment?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    Hello, I work as part of a small team in an essential service. I don't wish to divulge the nature of the industry.

    I and the manager are the only two non-women in a team of 6. There's two single-occupancy bathrooms in our area, which we occasionally share with members from other departments.

    I'm going to get right to it: The manager goes into the bathrooms after the women use it and sniffs around. He claims he's trying to prevent people from using marijuana, but he does this to every women that comes to these bathrooms, even ones he has absolutely no authority over.

    There was an incident last year where someone in a different department made a costly error and was discovered to have a vape device on them, but to my knowledge that department hasn't instituted any changes aside from demoting the worker who did it. I joined this job a few weeks before that, to my knowledge this wasn't something he did before.

    He rarely ever sniffs after I do it, despite the fact that I look like every stereotypical stoner from every 80s movie you've ever seen. I don't partake, and I definitely would never do it at work, but I pointed this out to him once last week and he's been harsher on me ever since.

    I'm utterly stumped as to how to even talk to my colleagues about this, because I feel like I'd be creepy by association. I don't want to escalate this without making sure they're all on board with this, because I'm not the one getting creeped on. I also don't want to escalate this just by myself because we're in a hiring freeze and I doubt our senior management would even reprimand him at all. Boy's club, you know how it works.

    Is this even illegal? How hands-off can harassment be and still be harassment?

    submitted by /u/SweatyTeacher
    [link] [comments]

    My husband’s last paycheck from work bounced. His boss is conveniently ignoring it, keeps saying “he’ll take care of it.” My husband has worked the hours and is owed the money. What can be done?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 10:36 PM PDT

    Spouse has X amount of hours processed through payroll. Payroll sent out checks. Checks bounced. Boss says he'll take care of it, goes golfing instead. I'm clueless what happens now.

    Any sense of direction for us?

    submitted by /u/selliegjo
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord showed my California commercial rental to 4 people at once without notice and wants to keep showing with no safety precautions. ������ Please help.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 03:51 PM PDT

    I gave notice to vacate my commercial rental property that I rent for my business. May 1st is my last day and I'm moving into storage because I can't pay my rent anymore due to the pandemic. I manufacture skis and with the ski resorts closing and the pandemic it has killed my business in the short term. (12 years strong before now) Today I was in the back running my Cnc machine(noisy manufacturing space) by myself. Because of the outbreak I work alone and no one has entered my shop besides me in over 3 weeks.
    Today, without notice, my landlord's secretary came in with 3 other people all at once. I had the door locked (she unlocked it) so it really surprised me when I heard commotion outside my office and opened it to find Landlord's secretary and 3 strangers standing there. She had gloves on but no further protective gear was visible. None on her guests and they were standing in a close group. Close enough to easily touch each other. I asked her to leave because I needed notice for her to show the space and didn't want people in my private business for obvious health reasons. She then stepped forward and into my face and said she was allowed to be there. It was threatening the way she got in my face. I could smell her breath. It makes me want to vomit. These 4 people are the closest I've been to anyone in almost a month. Is there anything I can do to stop my landlord from showing my space that I rent? They said they would give 24 hour notice from now on, but I don't believe them and I'm afraid she will make me sick if she hasn't already! Please help. Any legitimate advice would be great. Ideally I would ask them to stop coming in my work space until I am out on May 1st. Can I do this? Thank you. Josh

    submitted by /u/Nownownowow
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor working on-site at large hospital involved in COVID-19 emergency planning. Unsafe working conditions. All work could be done remotely but potentially mentally unstable client has requested I remain on-site.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    I live in Missouri. I'm an engineer at an engineering consulting firm. My client is a director of a department at a large area hospital where I work on-site 40+ hours a week. I started at the hospital in June, in the role of "Support/Project Management." I do not perform any engineering work, and am essentially working as an administrative assistant. My main duties are scheduling meetings & documentation-related activities such as drafting policies, meeting minutes, etc.

    Even prior to COVID-19, I had concerns about the situation. It is is unorthodox and my client could be described as "difficult." My client seems to be experiencing/exhibiting noticeable symptoms of dementia, is frequently confused, & is often verbally abusive/dishonest, although it is unclear whether the dishonesty is intentional or the result of genuine confusion. I am not a doctor, this is just an observation. I am an engineer that is not doing any engineering and am being used as an expensive admin by a person who seems incapable of performing their job responsibilities. Other staff members at the hospital have expressed concerns over the cognitive abilities of my client.

    COVID-19 then became a serious issue, and my client is the leader of the emergency planning efforts at the hospital. I feel I am in a high risk situation for contracting COVID-19, based on the number of admitted COVID-19 patients at the facility and the large number of documented personnel exposures. Additionally, all planning activities are still occurring in person, often with 30+ people in a single room together. There are daily complaints about the working conditions from staff on the emergency planning team.

    All of my contractual job responsibilities could be performed remotely. My company issued a directive to all staff indicating if you are able to work from home, you should do so. At this juncture, I believed I would work from home, however, my company indicated that it would be up to my client. My client, who in my opinion is very mentally unstable, a concern I have expressed to my company on multiple occasions, told me she would comply with my office's guidance, but that she wants me on-site, as long as we are in compliance with my company's guidelines. I have expressed my safety concerns to my office. I am in a city currently under a shelter in place order, although it is fairly relaxed. My client has determined I am "essential" personnel, which she can do because she is responsible for all emergency planning activities at the hospital. I do not think a reasonable person would think my role at the hospital is "essential." And, to reiterate, any "essential" activities are easily performed remotely.

    Due to the situation, I have multiple concerns. I am concerned I am at high risk for contracting the virus. I have been "banned" from returning to my company's office, due to my work at the hospital. This "ban" is specific to me and is directly related to my work at the hospital. I can only assume this is because my company feels I am at greater risk of contracting/spreading COVID-19, however, they are still allowing me to travel to the site. There are multiple travel restrictions provided by my company to people performing "field work." Limits of one person per car, etc. I travel to and from work alone, but am constantly in a room with more than 10 people. It seems strange to me that this is acceptable, although healthcare is receiving a number of exemptions to recommendations at the moment.

    When I asked if I needed to fill out any travel documentation I was told I did not, because my job is in the metro area. However, other employees working jobs in the metro area were required to provide this documentation. I was required to fill out my company's risk assessment before going to the site. One of the questions is "Have you been in contact with someone who is currently being tested for COVID-19?" I told my manager I was unsure how to answer, because I'm not sure of any direct contact, but am aware of, at that point in time, 100+ staff exposures, X number of admitted COVID-19 patients at the facility, and potential exposures on the floor where I work. Those numbers are dramatically higher at this point in time. The employees on the floor where I work were contacted by Occupational Health & were not furloughed, being deemed low risk. My manager said we are all in the same boat and I have to answer to the best of my knowledge. I had to answer "No", but I feel that my situation is distinctively different from someone who may have, for instance, picked up groceries and potentially come into contact with someone being tested for COVID-19 and was unaware. They are actively sending me to a location with known COVID-19 patients and personnel exposures. Personnel exposures are increasing drastically everyday, as are the number of admitted patients. I do not work directly with any patients, although staff members from the Emergency Department & COVID-19 units regularly travel to and from the area where I work.

    If I do contract the virus, and it is traced back to the hospital, am I eligible for worker's comp? The situation feels extremely unsafe due to conditions of overcrowding, high volume of staff exposures, and number of admitted COVID-19 patients. Should this situation be considered high risk? How comfortable should my company be in assuming this level of liability? If something happens, am I the only one assuming any liability here?

    My company is very liability adverse, and I am concerned not only about my risk of exposure, but by my level of involvement in the emergency planning. I am an engineer, I am not an emergency manager or healthcare professional, and feel I am also assuming some level of professional liability I am uncomfortable with in this situation. My client's volatile mental health is also concerning and I feel puts me in an extremely vulnerable position. I feel I am essentially being held hostage by someone who wants emotional support and is not functioning at a high cognitive level, but who has a tremendous amount of responsibility.

    Ultimately, I would like to know if there are any ways I can extricate myself from this situation, or if there is anything I can do to convey the gravity of the situation in such a way that my company will remove me physically from the environment?

    submitted by /u/SeekingAdvice1988
    [link] [comments]

    My mother (deaf) is being asked to do alternative work due to covid. Possible ADA?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    My mom (deaf) works on a campus as a switchboard operator and making copies for staff, etc. Now that the school has shut down due to covid, her office has moved to something to do with eLearning. Until now, she has been told that she only needs to attend eLearning via Zoom to continue receiving pay, but her office manger just texted telling her she needs to do janitorial work cleaning and disinfecting the building, and also picking weeds on campus during her normal working hours, in order to continue receiving pay, in addition to some of the eLearning options. The other switchboard operators can work from home, but the video phone she uses is on campus.

    It seems like a totally unreasonable accommodation to have her disinfecting and picking weeds for 5 1/2 hours a day in place of the eLearning the rest of her office is getting. She's not a janitor or groundskeeper, so these aren't her normal duties. Am I wrong in thinking this is unjust? Her supervisor says other employees are being asked to do the same, but no one in her department is doing it.

    It also doesn't seem like essential work, with the school already having janitorial and groundskeeping staff. It seems like it's just work for the sake of "getting something" for their money.

    What should she do? [Indiana]

    submitted by /u/ccaccus
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors run a daycare out of their home and leave children to create chaos

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    [NEW YORK]So, first time posting here and I usually don't get so rattled I want to involve the police but these neighbors 2 houses down are running a daycare out of their home. Cars come and drop off kids all day. 9 kids at a time seen in the front yard. All day they scream and yell and the 2 gigantic Rottweilers barking through the fence at them. This is an unlicensed daycare during the middle of a pandemic. Who can I reach out to about this? The police have been called but they leave after 2 minutes. Is there some other agency that handles these sorts of situations?

    submitted by /u/smkaemp
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment