• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 11, 2020

    Legal Advice - Wedding photographer has been giving us the run around for 4 months. Informed us today she lost all of our images.

    Legal Advice - Wedding photographer has been giving us the run around for 4 months. Informed us today she lost all of our images.


    Wedding photographer has been giving us the run around for 4 months. Informed us today she lost all of our images.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    I am in West Virginia.

    What on earth can I do? My wife is devestated. The photographer has lied and made excuses every couple of weeks with moving deadlines and "I sent it last week you didn't get them?"

    We received our sneak peak, which was only like 25 pictures, but it didn't include any pictures of the bride and her family.

    I understand a refund is a given, even though she has not offered it. (She offered a free family shoot... get the fuck out of here.)

    Is there legal recourse on getting more than our refund back due to the impact this will cause and the fact we will NEVER have pictures of our wedding day?

    Even the refund is going to have to go to court, I feel. The photographer made sure to mention in the apology message that she is "working 3 jobs and falling behind just trying to make ends meet."

    Edit:: hey guys. Too many replies to acknowledge. I have reached out to a lawyer. As many of you have implied, there is definitely more to this story. Something just isn't right but I don't know what happened on her side of things.

    She has made so many excuses along the way. She even claimed at one point that she mailed the usb drive(it never came) and when we told her it never arrived, she claimed she would have to do the work all over again but she would ASAP.

    She was young and fairly cheap, but not like $200 cheap. It was around $1000 total.

    Everything has felt off the whole way (after the wedding that is. She was great that whole time) , but I never expected this

    She claims that this morning she was trying to make us a new jump drive and that's when she realized that JUST LAST NIGHT her whole system corrupted and she most all her files for the last year. All of her projects for all of her clients. It sounded pretty insane to me, and after reading other professionals comments here, I can see it is.

    DOUBLE EDIT: We had a strict no cell phone/camera pictures rule. No one has any pictures

    submitted by /u/jackhonaker
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend was shopping in BestBuy and the store called the cops on her for suspicion of shoplifting even after she spent over $1000 at the register.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    She left the store and the alarm went off. She stopped to show them all her items and the receipt. They let her go and she was immediately swarmed by 6 officers. She was patted down by a male officer even though a female officer was present either at the time or a few minutes after the search, then detained and hand cuffed and put on the hood of the car. After searching the bags and seeing the receipt the police began searching her car and interrogating her about the car she drives and why she has so many bags in her car and how many credit cards she had. They even asked her to show the prescription for the meds she had on her. My girlfriend is 42 and very well off financially so she drives a nice car and does a lot of shopping. It also may be worth mentioning that my girlfriend is mixed race and looks black. Is there any legal action that can be taken from this? I called Best Buy and they admitted they called the cops and said it was because she was acting suspicious and putting items in her bag. My girlfriend never put any items in her bag only in the Best Buy basket she was carrying. She was in the store for a while shopping while killing time to pick up her kids. Feels like the cops were far to intrusive and aggressive for a shop lifting call even if she was guilty, but to act how they did after immediately being able to identify how much she spent seems like it could be harassment. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    Update. Location is Eagan, Minnesota

    submitted by /u/TwinViking
    [link] [comments]

    [Utah] My entire team called out today for being sick and we got manager approval and used PTO. Higher up management just fired everybody for “walking out.”

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    We had PTO hours available, had manager approval, called our sick line, and left. We are getting fired now because of this because they are calling it a walk out. What the hell?

    submitted by /u/Mofoe_Cake
    [link] [comments]

    Have had multiple seizures at work due to flashing lights on the lottery machine. Does this count as workmans comp? How can i obtain footage for the neurologist?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 07:30 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, sorry if the texting is a little wierd, I'm still partially recovering from a seizure on Friday. This happened in Pennsylvania. Keep in mind i have NEVER had seizures before ever in my life, and i have never used a lottery machine before until this new job.

    Firstly, some backstory from December ( have pictures on my profile )

    I was working a few days at my new job, and I was working the lottery machine. For these we have to scan the lottery vouchers, and we use a standard scanner ( think of grocery scanners at supermarkets ) I believe the ones for Pennsylvania lottery machines have a specific one. They use red laser lights ( not sure of the name ) with a crosshair that flashes EXTREMELY bright and fast, to scan Q-R codes. Im not sure if its broken but i dont think its supposed to flash.

    One of my first times using it ( it ALWAYS caused eye / head pain, a wierd feeling ) I had a grand mal seizure. I smashed my head and nose falling down and sustained a bad head injury. This happened on Dec 5th.

    Workmans comp covered my bills for the nose / face injury and surgery, nothing for seizure treatment. They said it could be coincidental and cannot physically prove its the lottery machine. So im stuck with an ambulance bill im still paying off.

    Was fine for a few months, lottery machine still caused eye / head / brain pain, the same feeling when I had my first seizure. I believed these to be auras after researching and seeing my neurologist.

    Skip to last Friday, I had a second grand mal seizure, while AGAIN using the lottery machine, looking directly at the light to scan the Q-R code. HR has not contacted me yet. I did not get injured this time but Im going to get a second bill from the ambulance and hospital. Which will be close to $700 dollars.

    I find it more than coincidental that Ive only had seizures / auras while ONLY using the lottery machine. Im getting further testing, but im believing to have photosensitivity at this point. My neurologist says they cannot "officially" diagnose me without footage ( which i have seen ) and i would LOVE to get this footage without getting an attorney. I was wondering if there is another avenue i can try to get footage without getting an attorney involved. I really like this job but i really really want to make sure i get proper medical treatment.

    Im no longer allowed to use the lottery machine since my boss / coworkers legitimately believe its triggering my seizures, so i was wondering if this would be then considered workmans comp? Thank you for any advice and help, hope its not against the rules!

    submitted by /u/FelandShadow
    [link] [comments]

    [Maryland] My university is making the entire campus move out of housing by Saturday. What are my rights here?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    Basically what the title says. Due to the outbreak of COVID-19, my university is making all students move out before noon on March 14th (gave us approximately three days notice) and we aren't permitted to return until 9 AM on April 5th. I live in what we call "9-month housing" which means I get this apartment for 9 months including winter/spring breaks (where some other dormitories lose access). Here's the housing agreement I signed: https://reslife.umbc.edu/files/2019/08/2019-2020-UMBC-RL-License-Sample.pdf. Do I have grounds for a refund on the next three weeks? Is the campus even allowed to do this?

    submitted by /u/Statccato
    [link] [comments]

    NY State: I gave up my parental rights (at her request) in court. Now she has filed for child support (or someone has).

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    Resident of NY, but her child support request is coming from Virginia.

    I dated a woman for a couple months 16 years ago. Eventually I learned I was "the other man" and broke up with her. Apparently he also found out about me and broke up with her. She had a baby and put my name on the birth certificate. They got back together eventually and apparently it was a hot topic for a while, but they got married and he was raising him as his own.

    They apparently "hoped" the child was his and tried to get it changed in court, court ordered a paternity test, paternity test revealed that baby was not his (and therefore probably mine). She contacted me, told me the truth, asked me to give up my rights so her husband could adopt him and they could put the whole mess behind them.

    I initially fought back and got a lawyer, but in sappy lifetime movie fashion I went to his baseball game and saw his dad was his coach. They were happy and loving and that guy had been his dad for a long time, whereas he didn't know me. So, this probably makes me sound like a bad person, but I agreed and signed away my parental rights. His dad legally adopted him and I haven't ever heard from them again, though I creep on Facebook a couple times a year. They apparently moved to Virginia recently though during all of this we were in NY.

    As far as I can see they are still happily married (and with two additional kids) but the are having financial trouble. That seems directly related to the fact that I have now received a court document saying she is seeking child support and there is a hearing next month in Virginia.

    I've been Googling this every which way the past few days and can't find clear information. I did read that I need to make sure I attend the court date no matter what, so I am working on that. I also read that it's possible she herself didn't file, that sometimes the state will start the process if she had filed for another type of assistance, but I don't know if that would make any difference anyway. I tried to get a lawyer but stupidly got a New York lawyer and he told me I should get a Virginia lawyer instead, I emailed a Virginia lawyer and he didn't understand and told me I should get a New York lawyer, so we are talking on the phone in the morning.

    But in the mean time I just have the question: what the heck? Is this common?

    submitted by /u/parentapparently
    [link] [comments]

    Nebraska - a kid ran into my car with his bike, which was blocking a sidewalk after an accident. Parents are threatening to sue and asking for my insurance information and I just want to check before giving it to them..

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 10:19 AM PDT

    I was recently in a car accident in a residential area. A guy was texting and hit me. He was driving home and literally lived right there, and it was just after 5 so we wanted to get out of the road and stop blocking traffic. It was not a major accident but in some kind of freak maneuver my wheel had gotten screwed up so we got my car into his driveway and it was blocking the sidewalk, but blocking the sidewalk seemed like the best option to get out of the road and we didn't even think about it.

    We went into his garage while we waited for police to come take a report and while we were inside a child ran into my car while riding his bike.

    We saw it happen, ran out but the kid was already riding his bike away. His mom ran over when the police got there, but there was confusion. She apparently called the police and reported that a car hit her child on the sidewalk (when child actually hit a stopped vehicle) and that officer hadn't shown up yet. When the second car showed up the two sets of cops talked about it and offered to call an ambulance to check the kid over, but she said he was at sports practice with his dad and they were taking him to the emergency room afterward. The cops pretty much laughed at that. She asked them to ticket me for several things like blocking a sidewalk and "reckless driving" but they did not.

    Fast forward to now, his parents had a letter sent to me by a lawyer demanding my auto insurance info and saying they are beginning paperwork for a suit to address costs that my insurance won't cover. They say they incurred thousands in expenses in emergency room visits, tests and imaging to "rule out life-threatening injuries." They are not actually saying he WAS injured, but that these costs were ruling OUT injury.

    I am not opposed to giving them my insurance info, but I want to make sure it wouldn't be stupid to do so - like if me giving them the info is going to imply that I'm accepting fault in some way.

    submitted by /u/foolmefive
    [link] [comments]

    [NYC] Contractor refused to leave my apartment because I wouldn't hire him

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 04:35 AM PDT

    Last night, I lined up a couple contractors to come to my apartment in NYC to price some work I need done. The last guy to show up misunderstood that I was looking for quotes and showed up thinking he was going to do the job. The texts between me and his office are not clear and don't establish a firm price. They gave a range and said it was up for reasonable negotiation.

    However, his price was high and he didn't have the parts to fix everything I wanted. I told him I wasn't going to hire him and he exploded. He started screaming at me that I owed him a $125 cancellation fee in cash and also that I'm a horrible person. He screamed at the the two friends who were also in the apartment.

    I told him to leave or I was calling 911. He wouldn't leave, so I called the police. While I was on the phone, he got in my face trying to argue his case with the operator. I opened my voice recorder app and told him I was recording everything. I told him no less than five times that he was not welcome in my home any longer and needed to leave.

    He refused and kept screaming at me. I called 911 again. Finally, after 30-45 mins, he called a couple people and asked their advice and decided to leave and sue me in small claims court.

    About 90 mins after I called, a police officer me and asked if the contractor had left. I said yes and then the officer hung up. No police ever came to my apartment.

    My questions: 1. Did the contractor commit a crime? Can I pursue this in any way?

    1. If he sues me in small claims court, does he have a case?

    2. Would I have been justified in grabbing a baseball bat or something similar and telling him that if he got too close to me, I'd have to defend myself?

    tl;dr Contractor refused to leave my home for 30+ minutes while screaming at me because I wouldn't pay him a cancellation fee.

    submitted by /u/moveshake
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure if the way my hours are being tracked at work is legal.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 08:33 AM PDT

    I work for an accounting firm in North Carolina. I'm not sure if the process by which I'm getting paid is acceptable. We don't clock in our out, we use QuickBooks to log all of our time worked. I'm an hourly employee, however, if I don't log every minute of my day here, I won't get paid for being here...even if I've sat here for 8 hours. It is seriously logged down to the minute. I'm having trouble because I come in every day and now they're not really giving me much work, yet they're complaining that I'm not working the 55+ hour weeks that are required during tax season. I'm not even an accountant, I only do miscellaneous tax stuff.

    I don't know, this all just feels not great and it's my first "real" job after college, but it's getting worse and worse to deal with.

    submitted by /u/TheHollieLlama
    [link] [comments]

    I have to face the person in court who tried to kill me & I'm terrified.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    It's been over 2 years since it happened and the last time I've seen this person when he was being taken away by the cops after they had to break down the front door because he had locked me inside unable to escape. It was someone I had dated for a period of time and something just snapped in his brain... It's hard to explain and i still to this day can't understand why or how it happened (that's the scariest part) But the short version is he smashed my head against the toilet breaking it, ripped out chunks of my hair, then while strangling me he told me he was planning to snap my neck, but not before forcing me to watch him murder my family in front of me. The cops were called and he was arrested and that was the last time we ever saw eachother. Court is finally happening this month.. What do I expect? Are they going to try and make me look like a liar? I watch a lot of true crime shows amd they always try and make victims look stupid or unreliable or bring up things from their past that aren't relevant. Ive spent the last couple years terrified of him and what's to come. I would truly appreciate any advice or thoughts on this. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/AffectionateDealer3
    [link] [comments]

    Employer fired me for “job abandonment” while I was in the hospital. Retroactively cancelled my insurance to three days before I went into the hospital.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    Edit: Colorado, USA

    So I went into the hospital on Dec 23. I notified my employer as such. On Dec 30 I went in again, and notified my employer. I've been out recuperating since then.

    Non work related medical issues.

    Found out today that I was fired sometime in the last month (nobody will answer my questions as to when). And they retroactively cancelled my insurance to an end date of dec 19. So when I put my insurance information to 5 different places last week, none of them came through.

    They say it was because I didn't contact a "leave representative". I only contacted my site HR and three levels of my supervisor chain.

    I have (tiny, like $40 for the last 2) paychecks up to Feb 7 of this year.

    I have lost my communications records with the company, as they have recently deleted my access to my work email.

    No notice was sent to me of my firing. No phone calls, emails, or mail was sent.

    What do I do guys? I spent the whole year with this company working 55 or 60 hour weeks to pay off my last set of medical bills, and now I'm 45k in the hole again. My lady is pregnant and I have no idea how to fix this:(

    Oh and edit 2, I've contacted the company "problem solver", site and corporate HR, and the company compliance hotline. None have come through.

    submitted by /u/needemploymentlegal
    [link] [comments]

    [Ohio] is it illegal to leave a bar with an open red bull?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    Sometimes after work I walk to a nearby bar. I'll have a couple cocktails, and then as I'm cashing out I'll order a cherry bomb. They open a new red bull for me, and I always opt to pay for the red bull to drink the remainder on my walk. Today, the owner happened to be in and stopped me outside privately and said he was going to let it go this time, but it was technically an open container and illegal despite being non alcoholic. I love and respect the guy, so I didn't argue and said I wouldn't do it again. We have a great relationship but I'm not sure if he's correct, but I would assume he'd know better than I would.

    My question is the title: is it actually illegal to leave a bar with a non alcoholic beverage here? If not, is there any documentation I could point him at? I really don't care if I can't leave with the rest of my red bull that much, I'm just genuinely curious if this is true!

    Thanks

    Edit: Just to clarify, I've got no agenda I'm just genuinely curious about this quirk in Ohio law and if it exists

    submitted by /u/chupmacabre
    [link] [comments]

    Update to wrongfully being sued by the hospital for an unpaid debt.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/cgvp4j/az_received_a_summons_for_a_debt_on_a_hospital/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    There wasn't a whole lot of traction but I finally have an update. After months of correspondence with the hospital's attorney they decided to drop the case without prejudice. We are each responsible for our own legal fees. I'm okay with that since I spent less than $100 total. The attorney for the hospital was actually a pretty nice guy, he was very patient with me getting him the documents they needed to prove that the debt wasn't mine. I ended up sending him the police report, an identity theft affidavit, a printout of my gym session (thank you Orange Theory for emailing a workout summary with the day/time you are there) and another document showing I was at work earlier in the day. They ended up asking for a copy of mine and my husband's drivers licenses with our signatures signed 5 times. When they didn't come back as a match to the hospital forms it was dismissed very shortly after.

    I'm just glad this whole ordeal is over and I can now refinance my house without the worry of a collection account showing up. Silver lining: Mortgage rates are so much lower than they were 9 months ago!

    submitted by /u/istheresugarinsyrup
    [link] [comments]

    Boss stole from me then fired me..

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 03:47 AM PDT

    Hi, I recently started to work at a luxury retail store in Florida. From the beginning I heard rumors of the owners being corrupt and realized it when i got my first paycheck and one full week of commissions was missing. He claimed I could have done better, although it is in our contract that commission is shared and I am owed my portion of it. This was one of the best weeks we have made of commissions and instead of splitting my part with the other employees as he claimed he kept it himself. Then he wouldn't allow me to look at any of our reports and numbers on our computer and fired me a week later. What legal action can I take?

    submitted by /u/lidiaz20
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] I’ve just been served to show to court over medical debts.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 07:16 PM PDT

    I was in and out of the hospital last year and due to not having insurance, I've just been sued for $2700 by one of the hospitals, and I'm sure there are more bills to come. Is it worth it to get an attorney to defend me or what should I do? This has never happened to me and google doesn't seem to be much help.

    submitted by /u/lizlegit000
    [link] [comments]

    My estranged grandfathers dying wish (he thinks he has 2 months) is for me to be the sole beneficiary to the money he leaves behind. As long as I promise not to share it with my father and siblings

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 04:57 PM PDT

    I have two questions:

    Can this really be enforced after he passes? And If I do take it, can my family contest the will?

    Even though he isn't, I am very close with my family. I dont think I could just keep it all to myself.

    Its not like millionaire money. But its enough that if I kept it and used it right, could be made to benefit my family for the rest of our lives.

    I'm in Australia

    submitted by /u/CakesAreAHappyPlace
    [link] [comments]

    In massachusetts is it legal for someone in a job interview to ask me if I plan on getting married or having kids anytime soon?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    [Canada] Unstable 40 year old neighbour is trying to indirectly harm my parents and baby sister. The police is reluctant to do anything. What next?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    Our neighbour is a 40 year old man who lives at his parents house and in the past several years has spent most of his days indirectly harassing my family. Some of his actions include:

    1. Dumping scrap metal, plastic, and hundred of cigarette buds onto our lawn and backyard every week.
    2. In the winter, he would shovel snow back onto our driveway at night so in the morning we can't get out of our driveway.
    3. In the spring, he would shovel water onto our drive way in the night time so it would freeze into a thick layer of ice the morning. This makes our sidewalk extremely slippery and dangerous.
    4. Writing "corona", "I'm from Wuhan", "Wuhan" on my dad's school bus' dirty windows at night (we are Chinese).
    5. Sticking a big "Wuhan" sticker on my dad's school bus in the middle of the night.
    6. His backyard is a hoarding ground and he has singlehandedly created a mice epidemic in the neighbourhood.

    His neighbour on the other side has already sold their house because of him and my family is on the verge of driven out by him, too. We have gone to the police with some weak evidence and they told us to try to not anger him because he might retaliate. I have a 7 year old sister and an outdoor cat and we're so afraid of him because he can easily overpower everyone in our family and he clearly has an intent to hurt us.

    We have tried to talk to them several times over the years and his mother told us that he is, to quote her, "crazy" and doesn't take his medications. We are at our wits end and the police can't do anything because he has very cleverly avoided our cameras most of the time. Can someone give us some ideas on what to do next?

    tldr - The police doesn't know what to do about our dangerous neighbour and we don't know what to do either.

    submitted by /u/2-canned-myth
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure where to post this, but I'm being blackmailed

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 07:55 PM PDT

    Hi, so I'm not going to repeat the title again but yeah, this is happening. It starts with me 2 years ago buying some illicit content from a girl I'll call HL. I bought her premium snapchat, and I bought a chance at a meet up to have sex. However before anything could happen I declined the offer after I sent the money and I thought that was the end of it. That was until a few months ago, when I got some texts from her asking to come back and get a subscription. After I declined once more, she threatened to expose me. I ignored her after that. Then 30 minutes ago I got another text from her, basically making the same threats. After asking 'Who is this?' after not being able to remember, she confirmed that it was indeed HL. I'm not too worried since any soliciting prostitution charges ended when I declined to meet up (I THINK). However this is getting annoying since the only info I have on her is one reddit account (won't link since I don't want a public fight on here) one onlyfans account (reported her there already) and one phone number (probably alt). That's mt story, I know I'm going to get the "You bought from her content, your fault" people, but quite frankly idgaf. Nothing makes blackmail okay, I just want her to be held accountable for her illegal actions. Not sure where to go, since she's in Texas and I'm in New York. whether to go criminal or civil or both, or whether to just leave it alone.

    submitted by /u/blackmailthrowaway97
    [link] [comments]

    (US) Ex-employer broke into my personal email address 6+ months after I left

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    I used to work for a (US) company until early last year.

    It recently came to my attention that the owner (and other members of the senior management) of the company broke into my personal Slack server (set up after I left) to read messages in late 2019 (6+ months after I left the company). They initiatially gained access "via taking over or phishing someone's account" (actual quote). When they were unable to read private messages, they broke into my personal email address, reset my passwords, and used my Slack admin account to read my private messages.

    I have statements made by senior management that they knew about this (screenshots and audio recordings). This aligns with the data logs of my email and Slack logs. I have a trove of evidence, but I'm unsure who would be the appropriate place to report this to as it's a company and seemingly the whole senior management were involved.

    Who would I speak to?

    submitted by /u/SidoorGynEnney
    [link] [comments]

    [WA] A customer told me her roommate tested positive for coronavirus. Can I ask her to leave?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    I work at a bar in Seattle. I was chatting with a customer while getting her drink and she said she's on paid leave from work because her roommate tested positive. I wanted to ask her to leave but my manager said legally we can't. Is that true?

    submitted by /u/Unlucky-Economist
    [link] [comments]

    Game gets taken over by other company, account transfer is only half a year, didn't get notified. Lost account worth 1k€

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 09:56 PM PDT

    In 2017, Combat Arms, owned by Nexon, was bought over by Valofe. I had a half year the time to migrate my account, but I was never notified by e-mail or whatever. I came online a year later to check in on that great game, and couldn't log in anymore. I contacted support, even called people and went on Valofe's discord and talked with mods there. Nobody was able to help me! Your data is gone they said.

    I made this post too late maybe, since it's 2020 now. However I woke up today in the middle of the night because it was so sad. My account is worth 1k€ as I spent a LOT of my salary and allowance in this game when I was a teenager.

    Is there any way they were obliged to keep the data for longer than a half year?

    I live in the Netherlands. I can provide some payment details. (not all of them, as I mostly paid by paysage cards back then)

    I can provide a list of items I owned permanently on that account.

    submitted by /u/PeerkeGerard
    [link] [comments]

    [NJ] Neighbor's Pit Bulls broke through our fence.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 01:22 PM PDT

    My partner and I bought a house in July and moved in. The way the property is laid out, our backyard shares a border with three other backyards. The yard is surrounded by fences of varying ages and styles. Most of them belong to us. Our neighbor to the East are a young-ish couple with two pit bulls. I know pit bulls get a bad rap that is sometimes undeserved, so I'm not here to malign pitbulls. One of them seems friendly, but the other one does not. He barks at us when he sees us. Not a huge deal.
    At least it wasn't a huge deal until 5 months ago when we adopted a dog of our own. She is a 25 lb Beagle and she is a sweetheart. She has never shown any signs of aggression.
    After we brought her home, things were fine for a while. The neighbor's dogs are not outside very much. However, there have been a few instances where they would sniff each other through the fence and the neighbor's dog would start barking. Our dog would usually back away or sniff timidly. She has never barked back to my knowledge. The neighbor dog looks at her like she is a snack. About 2 months ago, there was an incident where the dogs were outside at the same time, and the neighbor's dog charged at the fence. It is a stockade style fence with vertical slats. One of the slats came out of place and I was able to screw it back in place after the dogs were all brought inside their respective houses.
    On Monday night, a similar incident occurred. We were going to have dinner outside since it was unseasonably warm. The neighbor had the dogs outside. When we let our dog into the backyard, she walked near the fence and the neighbor dog went berserk. He started barking, startling me, my partner, and our dog. He started biting one of the slats and smashing it and was able to push it aside and stick his snout through the gap. The fence slat was damaged. I brought our dog inside and then later put the slat back in place.
    Today, while my partner and I were both at work, he got a notification from our Furbo camera that our dog was active. He opened the camera app and saw the neighbor's two dogs standing at our back door (Full glass french door). He raced home and they were no longer in our back yard, however the fence now has two slats completely knocked out and destroyed. The guy next door had his car in the driveway and my partner went to the door and knocked. Nobody answered. (neighbor is a police officer so could have been asleep if he was on a night shift maybe)

    We had previously been in touch with the landlord next door and she said that the fence in question belongs to us. I believe she is correct. We had started the process of getting quotes to replace the fence, as it is old and rotting. Now we need to speed up that process. My partner is terrified (and so I am frankly) that their dogs will come into our yard and harm one of us or our dog.

    My questions are the following:
    Is the neighbor partially responsible for the replacement cost of the fence?
    Does it matter that the fence was rotting and was therefore easy to damage?
    Should we contact the neighbors, and if so, what should we say (or not say)?

    A coworker of mine had his dog mauled to death by a neighbor's pitbull and was in litigation with him for years. I want to be careful and make sure we take the correct steps here.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/N0_ThisIsPATRICK
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment