• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 12, 2020

    Legal Advice - Manager at work climbed onto a toilet to spy on me using my phone in a bathroom stall. Is this sexual harassment?

    Legal Advice - Manager at work climbed onto a toilet to spy on me using my phone in a bathroom stall. Is this sexual harassment?


    Manager at work climbed onto a toilet to spy on me using my phone in a bathroom stall. Is this sexual harassment?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 05:20 AM PDT

    NJ, USA. I work in a factory that has a strict policy against cell phones. There's a sign on the front gates saying "no electronics" and I'm sure it's in the handbook somewhere. Regardless, people keep their cell phones in their lockers to use on bathroom breaks. I guess mine took too long because I heard someone call my name and looked up and saw my manager leaning on the bathroom stall next to mine staring down at me telling me that I need to put my phone away and go back to work. I already had my pants on and buckled, I was just sitting there. Yes I was in the wrong. But what about this guy trying to catch me with my phone out privacy be damned? I have a clear video of this happening, I started recording and made sure to get him into the video.

    submitted by /u/CathiDee
    [link] [comments]

    I was Served Someone Else's Restraining Order

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    I was walking down the street and a man shoved a manila envelope into my coat, declared that I had been served, and walked away. Upon opening the envelope, I had found a restraining order for some one I do not know.

    Who should I contact to get this order legally and ethically out of my possession?

    Edit: This is in San Bernardino County, CA

    Update: I called the court house and was instructed not to worry about it. Thank you for all of everyone's help!

    submitted by /u/jwalksoflife
    [link] [comments]

    Father died last night. Step mother wants “his money”

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    My father died last night unexpectedly. Some years ago he was awarded some amount of money due to an injury at work. I don't know how much nor have I ever tried to find out (we weren't really that close).

    My father also married a woman in Alabama (after the accident and settlement). They were separated and have been for some time. He was in North Carolina when he died. They were planning on divorcing but I'm unsure how far that had been taken so far.

    My grandmother (dads mother) wants to have him burried in NC. The current almost-ex-wife is demanding he be buried in Alabama if "his estate" has to pay for it. She also says she will not "give" any money to my brother and I.

    To be clear, I don't want any money. But I'd like for it to go to my brother and if I am owed some then to my grandmother. His wife is saying she owes nothing and will keep it all. From my understanding, she's correct. But felt like I'd check for my family before they spend money engaging a lawyer themselves.

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/BrownZR
    [link] [comments]

    Airbnb cancelled to raise prices

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 12:00 PM PDT

    Hello! I had an Airbnb booked in California and after accepting all of the booking policies, the rental company went ahead and cancelled my reservation in order to raise the prices.

    As stated in their booking policy, in the event of higher demand due to market conditions I would not have to pay a higher price. Do I have any legal basis into scaring them into honoring my reservation?

    Their booking policy is attached.

    https://imgur.com/a/WKLtf5i

    submitted by /u/acheung95
    [link] [comments]

    2.5 years ago I took a small toy gun keychain through TSA (they took it) they JUST sent me a civil violation fine of $250 -- what are my options?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    So more detail

    September 2017 I went through the Sacramento Airport - I had a small 2 - 2.5 inch single cap gun on my keychain (its a keychain toy i got from a souvenir shop) - I didn't have any caps with me.

    I forgot I had it on my keyring - so they took it - which is fine they made a big deal of it .. they took pictures of it - and let me on my way - because it happened 2.5 years ago that's kinda all I can remember about it because I thought it was all dead and done

    BUT last night I get in a mail a letter from the TSA saying that because violated 49 CFR 1540.111(a) https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1540.111

    by carrying "(1) replicate firearm" through the TSA process that now I will be fined $250

    but If I don't contest and pay up within 30 days they will accept $125

    also a note- I was not informed during the confiscation that there would be any follow - i didnt receive anything - I didnt take my own pictures bc they had all of my belongings as they were doing their own documentation and I also didnt know I would need to defend myself in the future.

    for one im wondering if firstly they can come after me 2.5 years later This kinda mentions something about there being a 2 year limit but im not a lawyer so I dont know what it all REALLY means https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/46301

    then by fiance found this that said some language to replicas second page - bottom of first paragraph https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2003-02-14/pdf/03-3736.pdf

    and these things stuck out to me -"that may reasonably be thought to be actual weapons" -" The screener has the discretion to determine when a replica is so realistic that it should be prohibited."

    the gun was literally a toy keychain .. 2 ish inches dangling from my keys ... it does not have the capability to project anything

    anyways I was just wondering two things does anyone have an info about the statue of limitations here

    &

    do I have any grounds to contest any of this or should I just pay the damn $125?

    submitted by /u/designtraveler
    [link] [comments]

    my 12 year old was neglected at a detention center

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    Nashville, Tennessee

    Yesterday, I got a call at work that my 12 year old son, with a learning disability and a speech impediment, had threatened a fellow classmate that he was going to "shoot him" or "kill him" (it's hard to say there's multiple witnesses claiming different things). Was in the military for 10 years, I don't own a gun anymore, and I am an activist for gun related violence.

    Police show up to school, show me the statement, they leave us alone to talk and I'm beyond humiliated. He is NEVER a problem at school, his teachers claim he's significantly improved, we just had a tornado that devastated my brothers home and we were there all weekend helping and he was without words. This is a wonderful kid. I'm not trying to make this less than what it was. Before I even ask, he tells me about them bullying him for his disabilities which, I and the principal, were aware about and was very kind to me after the incident. These kids have been confronted by him about prior issues the with my son, so they say.

    Fast forward, he's arrested. Needs to spend the night in the detention center, I find out later he got there at 5:30 and dinner was served at 5 so he had to sleep with an empty stomach. My court time was 11am, he comes out with cuffs on his hands and feet like a terrorist, turns out, they charge him as "terrorist threat" and said if he were 18 (which he's 12 so??? not even a good comparison) it would be an "A-1" felony. Don't even know what that means. He has an ankle bracelet on, it was all the money I had left to pay for it, and is suspended till Tuesday.

    What do I do? I have a court appointed lawyer but I don't think he should be punished for this for the rest of his life? Why did they not feed him? Even rapists get fed? I don't understand what I should do and I'm at my wits' end.

    submitted by /u/ShitsSoFuckedUp
    [link] [comments]

    Can I, a 17 y/o, go to an emergency dentist by myself?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    I've never been to a dentist before and I have had a broken tooth for years but my family doesn't see a reason to take me to a dentist to fix it. I woke up this morning with the side of my face with the broken tooth mildly swollen. After researching for hours and asking friends I'm nearly certain I have a dental abscess, which needs to be treated ASAP. I asked my legal guardian to take me to a dentist but she said I'm just being paranoid. I can't make an appointment at a regular dentist by myself because I'm under 18, but if I walked into an emergency dentist on my own, could they treat me? I live in Illinois and I can't find anything specific on the subject.

    submitted by /u/stupidteethproblems
    [link] [comments]

    Just got fired, over 80 hours of PTO, talked to HR today and they refused to pay out

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 04:46 PM PDT

    Missouri:

    My title pretty much says it all, a little background I was put on leave pending investigation Monday morning and I got the call from HR and my boss today, they decided to separate themselves from me. Anyway during the discussion I stated I expected my PTO time to be paid in full as it stated in our employer/employee waiver they make us sign every year. When I said this they laughed and said they could not do that for me, I however have read though the thing and stated that it's in our SoPs and that they were not upholding their end of the agreement, I then brought up that I'd be more than happy to have a lawyer read it over with me and see if I might have missed anything. Once I said this their tone changed entirely, they said they would look into that SoP and get back to me soon. I already had this on file and emailed the picture of the SoP to my manager after the phone call stating that I had found it and was looking forward to hearing from him. My question is if they still refuse to pay me out would I be able to take this to a lawyer? It seems clear to me since it's in our employer/employee agreement everyone has to sign every year and I could definitely use 2 weeks of extra pay right now but I dont want to take this thing to court just to have some BS clause ruin any hope of extra income.

    Disclaimer I wasn't fired for anything that would land me in jail, it was due to my, "frequent late arrivals" which included such mishaps as, my tire blowing out on my way to work, a speeding ticket which resulted in me being 10 minutes late, getting sick and calling off 2 hours before my shift, and getting stuck behind a train on my way into work. I have evidence for all these mishaps but my manager said it's out of his hands so they are letting me go. The SoP is clear on this as well I'll include the picture of the document if anyone is interested in seeing it but it states, "as required by state law any benefits, including PTO will be paid out in full".

    Thanks for reading this far into it

    Edited for location

    submitted by /u/Andrew_Ryan_Suxs69
    [link] [comments]

    My roommate destroyed my artwork, is there anything I can do?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:48 PM PDT

    [Michigan]

    My roommate destroyed four of my canvas paintings. He drew over them and slashed the canvas with a knife, leaving huge (irreparable) holes.

    I've never sold my work or had it evaluated, but I always told myself someday I'll sell it online.

    Is there anything I can do to hold him accountable? How, if I have no clue what the work would be valued at?

    Thanks in advance - sad artist 🥺

    submitted by /u/stax0338
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] My apartment complex in a touristy area rents 10 of 16 units to AirBnB. The AirBnB tenants are usually loud, belligerent and disrespectful. Do I have a case to terminate my lease 3 months early? Can the management company legally do this if it is not disclosed in the lease?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    Hi folks. I will preface this with my actual question before adding context:

    Can I terminate my lease 3 months early if my landlord is renting ~60% of the units to AirBnB guests when this was not disclosed in the lease?

    My girlfriend and I moved to Southern California together for work. We signed a lease 9 months ago at a newly renovated complex in a beachy area where a lot of vacationers from out of town come and go. We were the first tenants in the building after the renovation and they actually gave us a month free while they finished renovating the remainder of the units. For a few months we saw 5 other units get filled with long term tenants but then noticed a lack of tenants thereafter and an increasing amount of AirBnB visitors staying in the complex units that were vacant. It appears as though our management company decided to maintain 6 long term tenants while reserving the other 10 units for AirBnB nightly rentals. These people are often dirty, loud/belligerent, disrespectful/rude and there is no on-site property manager to help deal with this. The designated on-site management representative isn't staying in the building as he is supposed to be doing. Instead, the responsibility of keeping the community quiet, clean and considerate falls into the laps of the tenants. We are constantly complaining to management but nothing is done about it.

    Over the last few months we have began recording footage of these parties and loud AirBnB tenants since we have noticed some of our things on the doorstep going missing. Over the last week I have been woken up at 3 am on a work night to drunk people screaming in the complex and someone parking next to me and denting/scratching my car. Now they are denying liability and we are about to be responsible for damage that was done to our car. These are just a few things we have been dealing with over the last few months:

    • blaring loud music beyond quiet hours and well into the early morning

    • belligerently screaming and fighting in the complex at all hours of the night

    • slamming and banging on doors

    • leaving gates to the complex repeatedly open, leaving our items on our doorstep susceptible to theft

    • jumping and stomping on the roof above our bedroom at 5 in the morning

    • parking in our paid parking spot repeatedly without repercussions

    • piles of alcohol trash and waste left after parties

    What I am ultimately getting at is: do I have a case for breaking my lease early? I don't know how much longer I can deal with this mess of a management company and apartment complex. This AirBnB situation was never disclosed in the lease. Things are getting out of hand here and I am looking for any recourse.

    submitted by /u/AeroX-15
    [link] [comments]

    [OH] My wife is being told she has to work in an office building without running water, in the middle of a pandemic and state emergency. How can this be legal?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 02:07 PM PDT

    Title pretty much says it all. There is construction going on down the street and my wife's employer informed her that she would be required to work and would have to use the local cinema or a restaurant nearby. I am flabbergasted that someone would have the gonads to ask this of people in the middle of a pandemic. Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/Mellowde
    [link] [comments]

    Employers are limiting bathroom breaks and toilet paper

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    Hey my employer put a sign on our employees only bathroom saying,

    "Due to limited supply of toilet paper restroom breaks will only be allowed one per day and rationed to two (2) squares per use"

    I was honestly just wondering about the legality of this move and what would be an appropriate response.

    We're located in Washington state

    submitted by /u/NateMacaque
    [link] [comments]

    My father’s $4000 debt is under my name

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    (Throwaway account)

    Not looking for your judgement - just your advice.

    My father opened a business account a few years ago and added my name to it (I was newly 18 and didn't understand what was happening, so I naively signed). Haven't heard a thing about the company until now. I'm receiving notice by mail of an almost $4000 tax debt that hasn't been payed, and it's all under my name since I am apparently the "owner" of the company. The collection agency is threatening to garnish my income, seize my bank accounts and take legal action. I sent everything to my dad and he insists he didn't know about this debt and obviously doesn't have the money to pay it off — he's meeting with his advisor to see if this can be fixed.

    I'm so blindsided, please share any helpful advice.

    Edit: I live in Ontario, Canada

    submitted by /u/thowpqowieuryt
    [link] [comments]

    My brother's teacher forces him to go outside when he is sick.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 10:15 AM PDT

    Ontario - My brother has a constant coughing issue for some time (1 year) and he has a doctor's note about letting him stay inside and wear warmer clothes (because his teacher was insistant on doing the opposite). My teacher quite obviously has it out for him with some of the things he told me. Recently my doctor explained that he can go outside (when he's not coughing and the weather is good) but his teacher was happy to take it as "He can go outside every recess." and forced him to go outside in any condition, stating "A little cold never hurt anyone." Now he's at home because it got worse. Is this allowed to happen?

    submitted by /u/TeamSmeek
    [link] [comments]

    Airline is ceasing operation and closing doors. Can they legally force employees to resign?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 09:03 PM PDT

    I work for as pilot for a small regional airline in the US. The airline announced they will be shutting the doors in a few months.

    The rumor mill is going crazy right now. The big issue that is concerning is that the rumors say they will let us go via a generic termination letter. This termination is very easy to explain, however, most airlines use a computer scored online application. On that application we have to click a box that asks if we've ever been terminated. So our application would be kicked out by the computer before we even have a chance to explain why were "terminated." Any termination is also reported with a national pilots records department. So any potential employer can lookup if we've ever been terminated.

    So the two options are basically to resign and get no unemployment, or get "terminated" and collect unemployment but severely hinder our job hunt. Is it legal for the company to "terminate" us?

    submitted by /u/itsmorningcptn
    [link] [comments]

    A website is using my acting demo to sell my services without my consent

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 09:40 PM PDT

    I'm a voice over talent from Georgia, USA. I found out that a client of mine that I work with through a freelancing site has a website for their own business based in the Netherlands. On this website, they've ripped a copy of my demo and attached it to a profile with a random stock image. The prices they're charging are a lot higher than they pay me for my services, so I presume that they're making a hefty profit. I've tracked down and contacted other talents that are featured on the site. They also were unaware, their photos on the site are also stock photos, and they also are shocked at the much larger price the client is selling their services for.

    We're all pretty confused by the situation. What law would this even be breaking? It's extra confusing considering that we're all from different states and different countries in some cases.

    submitted by /u/iggykidd
    [link] [comments]

    Mother forced to work in maintenance at a local university without personal protective equipment immediately after canceling in person classes for corona virus concerns.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    Hi reddit! The title gives a pretty good TL;DR of the situation. The university that my mother works at just recently transitioned all classes to online for a two week period as many other schools in the area have been doing.

    As far as I know many faculty and staff members have also been given modified work schedules except for maintenance.

    The maintenance workers are required to clean all of the dormitories after students leave campus. There are no gloves or face masks available for use, but they are still required to work. The workers are not part of a union and some workers have been let go for voicing concerns about safety previously (I do not currently have any concrete evidence showing this is the only reason).

    The biggest concern for me is my mother. She has an autoimmune disease and is an at risk demographic. She has been told that taking off would mean the termination of her position.

    This isn't a job that our family can afford to lose because my two siblings benefit off of the price discount her position provides.

    I've considered contacting OSHA or raising concern to the university myself but I'm not sure if that is the right path. If anyone has any advice on how to handle this situation, I would be extremely appreciative.

    Edit: this is in the US in Tennessee

    submitted by /u/Thebestrunnerup
    [link] [comments]

    I have been subpoenaed to give a deposition for a civil lawsuit in another city. My employer is banning travel due to coronavirus. What are my options?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    Hope the title makes sense. I have been served with a subpoena to give a deposition as a witness next week. The deposition location is an attorney's office more than an hour drive from where I live. My employer's travel ban is going into place on Monday. I do not know the specific language in this ban and it is not officially in place yet.

    Other potentially relevant facts:

    • The location for everything (my residence, my employer, deposition location, the court, etc.) is the Commonwealth of Virginia.
    • My employer is a local government but I am non-essential employee.
    • Both parties in the lawsuit are private entities (landowner vs. developer).
    • The subpoena is from the defendant's attorney – not the court.
    • The lawsuit is currently in discovery. The trial is scheduled for this summer after the fundamental breakdown of society is complete and we have all died horrible deaths.

    Any advice on my options moving forward is appreciated. Stay healthy people!

    submitted by /u/CoronavirusSubpoena
    [link] [comments]

    Other party in a minor traffic collision is trying to milk my insurance. What do I need to do?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:45 PM PDT

    Not sure if this goes in Traffic or Insurance or Personal Injury. I was in a very minor collision two days ago, I bumped into the vehicle in front of me while in heavy traffic. The collision was less than 5 mph, and at first I thought it was just going to be a "Oops, sorry about that!" and drive away, situation. Just a minor bump, there was no visible damage to either of our cars, no airbags, etc. But the other driver got out of her car hysterical, repeatedly saying she needed an ambulance because her neck was hurting, while she took down all of my information. We were both a bit shaken up, and after a couple of minutes she settled down and became friendly, and we both drove away from the scene.

    My insurance company notified me yesterday that she was claiming injuries, and today they notified me that she has hired an attorney to represent her. She slammed on her brakes and I bumped into her from behind, my understanding is that this puts me at fault. But I'm not sure if there is anything I can or should do to protect myself? I am also injured in the sense that I pulled a neck muscle, but I'm not making a big deal about it. Any advice is appreciated.

    EDIT: This occurred in Los Angeles, CA. I have Progressive, other party has Fred Loya Insurance. Also, I'm wondering if I need to be worried about the fact that she hired an attorney, and if there is any reason I might want an attorney? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/GoodMew
    [link] [comments]

    hello reddit i don’t know if this is the best sub reddit but can you guys hear me out and help me

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 04:20 AM PDT

    so in 2014 my dad was arrested for murdering my mother and i been messed up ever since then . 6 years pass and i am curious how he is doing but i have no idea where i can find him. i am 17 now and really want to talk to him at least once in my life . i don't forgive him but i want to have a conversation with him. i really don't know where this is gonna less to but i don't know where he is at. does any know how i can find the prison he is located at i can provide details but you have to comment , no need to upvote other anything i don't care about clout or whatever i just want to find this out thank you reddit any thing helps me

    submitted by /u/inkdsquad
    [link] [comments]

    Work from home cancelled due to COVID-19

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    Georgia, don't want specify the city unless I have to not to give away who I am.

    I work for an international company with heavy travel and am a new hire, and a co-worker I come into regular contact with came down with flu like symptoms. Knowing that I needed to travel in the next few weeks, and having knowledge of the COVID-19 SOPs, I directed my co-worker and I myself filled out the proper paperwork to inform HR that we had both be in contact with someone with flu like symptoms. He took two days off and I asked for work from home, and even though we are equipped for it, because I am asymptomatic I was initially denied it and told to come in, so I did and isolated myself from my other co-workers as best I could.

    Suddenly the office was cleared out and everyone was told to work from home for two weeks. Other people are being told to do the same at other companies. However, towards the end of the work day, we are told by HR that we cannot work from home anymore until we are checked out for the virus. There are no testing kits available to us at this time, and we have called the department of health, and we were informed that they are directing companies to NOT do this and instead have us work from home when we can. Keep in mind, there are other sick people who have not followed SOP working from home as I type this, yet we are told that because we selectively identified ourselves and "made the right call", we cannot work even at home where we can not risk anyone with infection. We were up front that were were being intentionally over cautious to prevent panic, that his symptoms were likely the normal flu, and we just wanted to make sure we were following all of the proper protocols for future travel and ensuring the safety of all of the other workers, ect.

    We are totally screwed and are being told to go to the ER even after we confirmed that they are not testing and are instead being told NOT to go to the ER by the department of health. What to we do? Frankly by the confusion and terseness from HR, there is some fear for being fired because they made everyone work from home because we "did the right thing" and followed SOP, something the company did not want to enact as, despite being issued laptops and their systems set up for work from home, they do not like doing it at all. How can we best protect ourselves legally and what should our next steps be in case we are terminated?

    submitted by /u/mymymycorona
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment