• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 10, 2020

    Legal Advice - COVID-19 FAQ (a work-in-progress)

    Legal Advice - COVID-19 FAQ (a work-in-progress)


    COVID-19 FAQ (a work-in-progress)

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 07:22 PM PDT

    This is not a megathread. You can still post questions if they are not addressed here. If they are addressed here, your post will be locked and you'll be directed here instead.

    This is the best information we have at the moment and a number of different mods and contributors assisted with gathering information.

    To the best of our ability, we'll update it as new information becomes available. Please do not modmail us the second something you think should be included hits the news. We'll find it and include it when we can update.

    If you have a state specific link to leave and benefit information on COVID-19 (see the California page for an example) you can send it to modmail and we'll include it here.

    • I was traveling/exposed to someone with the virus etc. Can my employer force me to stay home for two weeks? Do they have to pay me?

    Yes, your employer can require you to stay away from work.

    At this time, there is no legal requirement that they pay you for COVID-19 related quarantines; you can probably use any accrued leave. Some companies are developing policies granting paid leave for this reason.

    If your state or the federal government adopts a program to help workers who couldn't work due to exposure, you may or may not be able to make a claim under that program, depending on its specifics.

    • Can my employer forbid me to travel internationally/at all?

    They can't stop you, but in nearly all cases, they can fire you for breaking such a policy.

    • Can my university/college force me out of the dorm? Do they have to refund me housing fees already paid?

    The answer to the first question is yes; legally, they can close dorms. It's unclear at this point if they have to refund or credit any fees already paid, although we suspect many will on a prorated basis.

    • My university/college is still open and having classes on campus. Can we make them close?

    No. You can protest it as a policy decision as you would any other decision, but it's their decision to make.

    If you have a disability recognized under the ADA or comparable state law that makes you particularly vulnerable, you should work with your school's disability services to request an accommodation. The sooner the better.

    • My kid's public school is open. Are they required to attend?

    Unless the district has adopted a policy stating they won't treat absences as unexcused, then yes, your kid has to go to school, or they risk unexcused absences.

    If your child or an adult in your household has a disability recognized under the ADA or comparable state law that makes that person particularly vulnerable, you should contact your school and/or district to request an accommodation. The sooner the better.

    • I don't have any paid sick leave or FMLA protection. What should I do?

    If you are sick, stay home. Things are quickly developing to provide help to workers, but so far its been on a state by state level. 12 of the 50 states currently require some amount of paid sick leave. Certain companies are providing leave or at least excused absences.

    State specific information on leave and benefits (more will be added if it becomes available):

    ~ California

    ~ Oregon

    ~ Washington state

    • Someone in my apartment complex has/might have COVID-19. Can I get out of my lease?

    No.

    • Am I eligible for worker's comp if I was exposed at work?

    Maybe, but unless you are a first responder or health care worker, it's going to be quite difficult to prove your exposure was at work.

    • I paid for tickets to a canceled event. Am I entitled to a refund?

    Unclear at this time; it may depend on the terms and conditions of the tickets or ticketing agent, as well as other things. Inquire from the vendor, see what they're offering, then sit tight for now and see how things develop. Time to file a lawsuit runs in years, not days. Some events may also be judgment-proof and pursuing the matter legally might be pointless.

    • I have airline reservations I need to change/cancel. What should I do?

    Information from Delta, United, American, Alaska, Frontier, JetBlue.

    • What about hotels and home rentals?

    ~ AirBnB information

    ~ VRBO

    ~ Hotels may vary depending on how you booked and if you prepaid. If you booked through an agent (Expedia, hotels.com), you have to go through them first. If you booked directly through the hotel, here is some information for Marriott and its brands; Hilton and its brands; IHG and its brands (including Holiday Inn); Wyndham

    • I have to make travel plans for later this year. What should I do?

    Particularly if you are traveling internationally, consider travel insurance that includes a "cancel for any reason" (CFAR) provision. Make sure that disease, epidemics, and pandemics are not excluded. Cancel for any reason coverage generally has to be purchased very quickly after your reservations are made. Check the deductible and make sure the amount covered is sufficient for your needs.

    Travel insurance is always a good consideration for international travel.

    submitted by /u/UsuallySunny
    [link] [comments]

    [California] I was reprimanded by HR, for sexism and racism, by an upset coworker. How do I protect myself?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 01:52 PM PDT

    I posted this in other subreddit for advice, but was advice to seek legal. Sorry for being vague, I'll try to provide relevant details without outing myself.

    I am the lead engineer at my company. Part of my job is to provide feedback on their yearly performance to my teammates and also to help them progress in their career within the company.

    Last year, an experience engineer, Kate, from another team within the company was transferred into my team. Kate is a licensed professional engineer. She's an excellent sales engineer and consultant. However, Kate's actual technical, engineering and math skills are a bit rusty.

    Since she joined, she had made several critical errors in her work. When corrected she would argue with the other teammates and insists she is right.

    One of the best engineers in my team had to request time off because of the stress Kate caused her to experience.

    During our annual performance review, I told Kate that she needs to learn to get along with the others. Her being disagreeable is hurting the teams morale.

    I also told Kate that I was putting her under the supervision of another team member. The team member will help Kate get caught up with the latest technologies and answer any questions she may have. This supervision would only be temporary, until she gets caught up.

    The team member is a relatively "junior" employee compared to Kate, but he knows what he is doing and is a decent person.

    I thought that my review was fair. However, Kate took offense and reported me to HR. Ultimately, I was reprimanded by HR, had my annual bonus withheld and required to go for implicit bias training. I was accused of being biased towards Kate, who is a minority.

    Despite having a recording of my annual review meeting with Kate, and having other teammates who would back me up, HR refused to listen to them.

    I believe part of the reason HR sided with Kate is because the HR Manager is close personal friends with Kate.

    For personal reasons, it'll be hard for me to move somewhere else to get another job. I also have a non-compete contract with the company that stops me from joining the few competitors that are in the market.

    If possible, I would like to continue working for the company. However, I'd like to know how I could legally protect myself and my professional reputation if I ever need to?


    [link] [comments]

    1 million medical debt - what are my options? (Illinois, USA)

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 02:36 PM PDT

    My twins were born and spent 2 months in the neonatal intensive care unit as they were premature. When they were born, I had two insurance company options (1 through my work and 1 through my wife's work) and I spent a lot of time researching the best option for long term intensive care bills as I knew it would be a lot. I got a statement in writing from my insurance company stating everything would be covered - NICU facilities fees & provider bills explicitly in writing and so I went with their policy.

    I felt like I had everything in order with my research, but it's starting to look like all their claims might be denied. The insurance company is doing a final investigation and will let me know their decision within 2 weeks.

    I want to prepare for what to do if they deny my claims. The bills will be around a million dollars. As I mentioned before, I got a written statement from the insurance company before signing them on, stating all these exact claims will be covered and I pointed that out in my last conversation with the insurance company before they started the investigation.

    My question is, what do I do if they call me in 2 weeks and say it is denied? Do I continue to argue and ask for further investigation? Do I just get a lawyer to fight it since I have a written statement from them stating they would cover these claims? Or do I just give up and ask the biling department for financial assistance and look into bankrupsty options? Or do I just let it go to collections and move on?

    I imagine the big insurance companies have loopholes in place and massive legal back up to get out of paying these large claims, so I just want to know if its worth fighting it.

    submitted by /u/cyguy100
    [link] [comments]

    Papers served to me weren't for me; person serving demanded to see my identification, in my own backyard.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 12:07 AM PDT

    I noticed a man I didn't know standing in my backyard, which is not that unusual as there's another house back there with a separate address and sometimes sales/delivery people get confused. I asked him if I could help him and he mumbled a name that sounded similar to mine. I said, "Yes?" at which point he handed me an envelop and said, "you've been served." I've never been arrested, to court, or sued, so I read the paper and saw the name was not mine, not even close really.

    I told the man that wasnt me and he said, "then why did you answer yes when I said your name? You've been served, you'll have to take it up with the court." And started to walk away. I told him he mumbled, I dont hear well, and he could walk away but he hadn't served the right person because that was not me. He proceeded to argue with me, insisting I had answered to the name he said and it was up to me to figure it out. I said again, "okay, you can leave, but I'm telling you this is not me and whomever is supposed to get it has not been served." He then started demanding to see some ID, and I refused.

    At this point, being home alone, I set the paper on the deck railing, stepped back into my house, and locked the screen door between us. Here's this stranger standing in my back yard, telling me I lied to him and I'm legally obligated to prove I'm not who I already said I was. I told him to leave or I was going to call the police myself.

    Eventually he left and I didn't have to call the police. Was I obligated to show him ID? If he comes back, can I report him for tresspassing? This is in Southern California.

    submitted by /u/CleverName8888
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment complex emptied my legally rented garage, disposed of my property while I was out of town

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:02 AM PDT

    On Saturday while I was out of state, ( I live in FL) my apartment complex sent maintenance staff to my detached garage, and told them to empty it as another person would be renting it. I found out when I returned Monday and neither my pin pad, not the clicker to the garage worked any longer. My rent on the garage and apartment had been paid, and the lease was active. Management does not dispute this. The workers removed and disposed of about $3000 worth of property. They told me the garage was listed twice in their system, that it was a mistake and that the only way forward is to go through insurance. I did have 3 large ticket items returned to me that maintenance said they "forgot" to dispose of (about $1,000 additional items worth). I'm angry, and I'm shaken. The management admitted it was their fault, but said it was an "honest mistake". I'm wondering, if I have spoken to the insurance company, is it worth contacting a lawyer over this or should I just let it go?

    submitted by /u/AmeliaJane920
    [link] [comments]

    [California] I’m being told I need to work the closing shift after my jury service is done each day

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    I'm a manager and salary employee at a business with roughly 200 employees (if that matters).

    I've kept my supervisor in the loop and group text them and HR as soon as I found out I was assigned to a jury.

    My supervisor text me outside of the group text and told me to work after my jury duty.

    Can I legally be asked to work after working jury duty?

    submitted by /u/legalcathrowaway1122
    [link] [comments]

    My PhD adviser created a startup for my successful thesis work... and doesn't tell me

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    I spent a lot of hard work developing a technology and getting it to work. I worked on my project independently in my adviser's lab for my PhD until the last 9-10 months or so, when I trained two first years in the lab to take over my project.

    I've published my results in a peer-reviewed journal, and we have IP (two patents) that are in the process of getting filed with the university. Yet my former boss blindsided me a bit when he told me he created a startup company with two other PIs, who partially co-advised me.

    Basically under their supervision, the startup was not able to get any funding and just sat idly for a year or so. At the time, I didn't press the issue because the company was worthless, and they weren't seemingly trying to do anything with it. Now, they've onboarded a CEO who has significant startup experience and they are acting to build a team to secure some funding from the NSF/NIH and/or investors. One of these new team members has been constantly badgering me and my former mentees about the technology, including the fine details of new projects that I have started, but have not published yet. Unfortunately, my former mentees divulged the information before asking me about this.

    I confronted my former boss about the startup he is excluding me from and he said that he will talk to the others and basically offer a proposal for compensation. His tentative offer over this brief conversation was 1% split between me, the two newer students I have trained, and two other newcomers who have since started working on the project since I have graduated.

    Am I right to feel excluded and underappreciated? Years of my hard work and extensive troubleshooting to get this technology to work and all I get is 1% split five ways? I feel like if I took this offer I would be getting swindled.

    My question to you at r/legaladvice is do I have any legal leverage to negotiate a better deal? I'm confused as to why my former boss would try to exclude me. I am certainly the expert on the technology to date. I would appreciate any insight!

    submitted by /u/itsthetaxman
    [link] [comments]

    Drone keeps hovering in my yard (below roof line) and taking pictures of inside my house

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 07:53 PM PDT

    I have a log of when they have done this and how long they stay. They have come four times.

    Indiana law says they cannot take photos of my yard or inside my home. I do not know who the drone belongs to, and the police have not been very helpful.

    Theyve taken photos of my bedroom while Ive been sleeping. The flash wakes me up and i see it hovering out there...

    You know I wouldnt care if they hovered like above my house, but this is like really creepy and sketchy.

    Can I shoot it down or something? What can I do when I dont know who is operating the drone and the police arent doing anything about it?

    submitted by /u/elst3r
    [link] [comments]

    My therapist violated HIPPA laws and told personal information to their former roommate

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:28 PM PDT

    Hi, I (M20) had been seeing a therapist for my mental health issues and I received a message from her former roommate who told me that she (the therapist) had been coming home from work and telling her private information about her patients, including me. She was using our files to look us up on social media, and to look our addresses up on google maps, and was showing all of it to her roommate. Her former roommate couldn't stand it so she moved out after 3 weeks of living with her and filed a complaint with the company, and with the department of health. Shes urging me to also file complaints. I havent heard a word about this from the company (or office, idk what to call it?) and she said that they havent been telling the patients about it even though they know about her telling people our information.

    There was no way for this lady to know I was seeing that therapist unless she had heard or seen my name somewhere, and she reached out to me via Facebook, which is where she said first saw me when the therapist showed her my profile. Also, the company neglected to tell me when I started to see this therapist that she wasnt even a certified therapist and that she was still a student with no certifications.

    I am in Tennessee. I am planning on filing complaints against her and contacting the office of the therapy services to see why I haven't been notified about this. Is there any other legal actions against her I can take? Someone like her should NEVER be in a healthcare company if they are going to breach doctor patient confidentiality and HIPAA laws. I want to make sure she cant do this to anyone else. My husband suggested trying to see if I could sue or do something to get financial compensation for them breaching my rights as a patient and not even notifying me about it. I mostly want her out of medical practice but if I can get anything for all this stress of having my personal information shared to strangers I'll take that, too. This is ridiculous.

    submitted by /u/solid_snek67
    [link] [comments]

    My dad has been using my Survivors check from my mom on his new girlfriend and cars

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 04:01 AM PDT

    Obligatory on mobile——FL

    So I lost my mom back in 2017 when I was 14. My mom had gotten disability for her illnesses so I guess that traveled over, I'm not entirely sure how that works. My father got into a new relationship about 7 months after the funeral and at that time he's used my mom's savings and had bigger spending habits. Within 2018-19, he's bought 3 cars and has had his girlfriend and her son over for the weekends. My siblings and I have expressed our discomfort but he's just yelled at us and told us it was his house and he could evict us as he pleases so we've been quiet. I found out about the checks about a year and a half ago when my grandma asked me if I'd been saving the money for college. I asked what she meant and apparently my brother and I get 1000+ checks every month on my moms benefit and my dad had kept it from us. Everytime I ask him about it he changes the subject. He's given us about 80$ since we found out but recently he's been giving about 50$ and lower. He claims it's all out of pocket and there are no checks but I got a letter with both our names on it and it said I got an increase of about 16%. He snatched the letter and told me to mind my business. Is it illegal for him to keep that money? He tells us to survive of the little he gives us and when we need something like food or clothes he gets upset and calls us irresponsible. I can't deal with it anymore and I wanna move out for his forbids me from getting a job and won't give me more money. Is there anything I can do to get it moved to my name and my account?

    submitted by /u/Wam_burger
    [link] [comments]

    [California] My husband(28M a green card immigrant) and I(28M American) are being harassed and threatened by an old neighbor to turn us in to immigration/ICE. We're planning to file a restraining order against him, but need advice on how to navigate the situation.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    So 7 years ago my husband(currently 28M, from Europe) and I got married and he started going through the proceedings of getting a greencard. We've known each other for 10 years, met in college, and have been together ever since.

    Also about 6 years ago we moved into an apartment together, and eventually got to know our neighbors. We ended up getting to know our next door neighbors, one of which I'll name him Ronnie(currently 37M). He was in the same industry and loved the same movies.

    We also knew several other neighbors as well, and we'd all have movie nights.

    About a year after that, he dated a girl(lets call her Ashley(currently 29F) for about a month, and he became obsessed with her and how his roommate at the time broke them up. So much that we distanced ourselves from him and that drama. He eventually got kicked out of his apartment, he and his roommate both moved out, and we thought that was the end of it save for a few time my Husband grabbed beers with him to catch up.

    He weirded me out, and he was always very weird around me because we were in the same industry competing for similar jobs(Entertainment industry)

    Fast forward 3 years after we haven't talked to him in a while, I end up running into the girl he had been obsessed over(I didn't even realize it at the time) and we end up becoming friends for a while. She ended up telling me she had to get a temporary restraining order on him after she felt uncomfortable with him and broke up with him. It had nothing to do with his roommate. Her and I ended up having a few political disagreements over the elections at the time and we ended up going our separate ways.

    Now fast forward a few MORE years until now. A few weeks ago Ronnie asks my husband to hang out and catch up. But when they start hanging out Ronnie starts interrogating him about how I knew Ashley and why we hung out. It started getting into the creepy area and my husband bailed and came home shaken.

    He tried to calm Ronnie down through text messages, and thought he had succeeded until the next day when Ronnie texted ALL of our neighbors, their significant others, their parents, all threatening me and them for their part in a conspiracy that broke him up with Ashley 6 years before.

    All of our neighbors and us got together and went to the police and they told us to file a restraining order.

    In the messages, Ronnie said I would get what's coming for me, that I'll pay, that I wasn't gay and I slept with Ashley and stole her away from him, that I was a pedophile, I wasn't really gay, that I drugged and brainwashed Ashley, that I hacked his phone to warn Ashley about when he was driving up to see her after she told him to leave her alone, that I manipulated her mother into filing a temporary restraining order, etc.

    It's absolutely unhinged and delusional. Ashley is even currently going through her own restraining order against him right now.

    And since then, we all tried reasoning with him, but he continued threatening people if they didn't give him info on me.

    The biggest threat we're worried about was when he threatened to go to immigration and tell them that our marriage is illegitimate. My husband and I love each other, however we're worried about coming under the scrutiny of ICE since we're in a gay green-card marriage, it's pretty much the antithesis of ICE's conservative roots.

    We waited a week hoping he would calm down, but last night we found another 5-6 people who are completely uninvolved get threatening and unhinged messages from him about me and this situation.

    So far he has refused to speak to or message me directly, and instead is trying to get information from other people by threatening me and them, and trying to have them relay the threats to me.

    My husband and I are COMPLETELY terrified by his behavior.


    tl;dr: My husband and I are in a gay greencard marriage in California, and we have an unhinged ex-neighbor harassing us and threatening to call immigration/ICE and tell them we're not a legitimate marriage amongst other threats. What can we do?

    Also, this is a friend's throwaway account, my husband and I are still in the closet to some of our friends and family who lean a lot more conservative.


    • Given all this info, should I move forward with a restraining order even though he hasn't messaged or spoken to me directly, just through other people? Is that basis enough for a restraining order and what is the best way to word that?

    • Follow up to that question, is there any pre-cautions we can make when filing the restraining order that will address his immigration/ICE threats?

    • Even though he hasn't specifically threatened violence, we all know it's WELL within his capability when he says "I'll pay for what I did", which is why we all went to the police immediately after receiving the messages. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to present that with the restraining order?

    • Honestly any reassurance that we're not going to get ICE raiding our apartment and lives, and that a restraining order is necessary would be great. We're shaken and terrified.

    submitted by /u/TribbleCon32
    [link] [comments]

    Update to my post about becoming a guardian to my disabled cousin

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 05:52 AM PDT

    This is an update to my post because people were worrying about my cousin and kindly asking for news (I hope this one doesn't break the rules of the sub).

    First the good news: I've found an arrangement with my cousin, it took a lot of persuasion but he agreed to spend his nights at my place while we do some badly needed repairs to his house. At least he has a warm and safe place to sleep and I can make sure he has a real dinner. He develops anxiety when he needs to change his routine and this is a major change for him, I'm proud of him for being willing to try. I drop him at his house in the morning and either we do some work there or I go to work and he spends his day as he's used to, tending to his animals and his garden and hiking (he says he needs to hike every day, even in terrible weather, otherwise he feels "trapped" and gets nervous). Then I pick him up in the evening and we go to my place. He seems OK with this arrangement for now, I'm not sure how long it's going to last but for now we're fine. He's grieving his mother and spending time in the place where they lived together seems to comfort him, but I feel better knowing he's not spending his nights alone over there in a crumbling house.

    Abous the rest, now: things are going to be complicated. I haven't been able to find anything about Jimmy's birth certificate in the county records. There isn't a deed for his house in the records either. I have no idea who could be the owner of this house and the land around it. I'm meeting with a lawyer soon to talk about the guardianship issues, and we'll need to discuss the rest too. I really hope that trying to become his guardian officially isn't going to do more harm than good, and that he won't end up losing his house or being forced to live somewhere else against his will. I'm afraid this is going to be an uphill battle but I'm ready.

    submitted by /u/JimmysCousin
    [link] [comments]

    Company Canceled my Medical Insurance and Continued Deducting the Cost from my Paycheck - Now I Don't Have Insurance and They Won't Reinstate It

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    (I live/work in Michigan, in the United States. The company is based out of California.)

    I began working for my current company in January 2019. In April, my benefits (including my medical insurance) were apparently terminated. I still have no idea why this happened.

    My job continued to deduct money from each of my paychecks for my insurance, even though I no longer had coverage. This is why I never realized that my coverage had been terminated - I didn't need to use my medical insurance in 2019 (I'd gotten all of my checkups and such taken care of at the end of 2018, while I was still on my parents' insurance.) Every time I checked my paycheck I could see that I was still paying for my insurance, so I didn't have any reason to think that it had been canceled. They deducted more than $1000 for my medical coverage alone after coverage had been terminated - I'd have to go back and add up how much they deducted for all of my benefits combined.

    My company has passive enrollment, so I should've been auto-enrolled in the same benefits that I'd had in 2019. Obviously since my benefits had been canceled, I wasn't enrolled. My 2020 paychecks haven't had any money deducted for insurance, which I admittedly didn't notice initially.

    I didn't find out about my benefits being canceled until early February 2020, when I went to double check my benefits before making a doctors appointment. This is when I also realized that my paychecks weren't being deducted. I immediately called my company's benefits center, and have been essentially fighting with them for a month not to get my benefits reinstated. I've called them at least once or twice a week, and each time was told that they're still looking into it. I did fill out an appeals form to sign up for benefits outside of the normal window, and eventually got the ticket escalated to high priority.

    I just now received an email that my case has been closed and my account has been updated. But when I log onto the benefits website, it says that I have declined all benefits. So I still don't have insurance, and I'm kinda freaking out about the fact that this could cause gaps in my coverage. I'm worried that I could be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions (which wouldn't have been pre-existing if this hadn't happened).

    I'm going to call them yet again after I get off from work. All I want is to have my coverage reinstated with no gaps - if I can get that then I don't want to take this any further. But depending on how tonight's conversation goes I might have to take legal action.

    What can I do?

    submitted by /u/The_Iron_Quill
    [link] [comments]

    [california]My (34m) mother (61f) claims my father (63m) died but I can find no record of it. Not sure how to proceed

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:39 AM PDT

    My parents retired and moved out of state and my father developed Alzheimers at a young age and died a few years ago. He declined rapidly and was in an assisted living facility the last time I saw him. Before his death, i received some updates from my increasingly upset mother that he was going and then a message that he passed away and there would be no funeral. I was sad that there was not to be a service but my family isn't religious and i respected my mother's wishes to move on after watching her husband slowly forget who she was as that had to have been hard. This was 5 years ago.

    She has since remarried and seems to be doing well but I decided to google my dad's name on a whim and I cannot find any record online that he died. No obituary, nothing in the public records about his death. I called the assisted living facility and they said patient records were confidential and they could neither confirm nor deny that he was ever there.

    I'm somewhat concerned that my father is alive somewhere, forgotten about in a low cost facility or hospital. I don't want to ask her in case there is something strange afoot, or even if there isn't I'd rather not have her think I distrust her. What can I do?

    submitted by /u/stupidrobots
    [link] [comments]

    MIL will not give back item and I’m next of kin already went through probate

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 10:29 AM PDT

    This is in Florida.

    This should he pretty short, I have an item (a binder of drawings) from my late husband. I put the binder together at my FIL house, and my MIL had refused to return it. I already went to probate but this item was not listed in it, because it has no monetary value, it's purely sentimental. I want to give this item to the surviving son that my late husband and I have. Is there anything I can do or am I SOL? I went through probate without an attorney and self filed all the paperwork, obviously I am the next of kin.

    submitted by /u/lathrowawaymilproble
    [link] [comments]

    Vehicle towed and sold (illegally) while on deployment - recourse?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 03:55 AM PDT

    Trying to keep this brief, but the relevant situation:

    - Active duty military stationed in Virginia

    - Parked vehicle on base for deployment (where I currently am), in an area we were directed to by our Chain of Command

    - Private towing company towed multiple vehicles of deployed members for being "abandoned"

    - Towing company auctioned the vehicles off without court order or notifying the service members

    My understanding is that under the SCRA and Virginia state law this is illegal. The vehicle auction part, not the towing part:

    Justice.gov

    Benefit and Protection No. 6 – Enforcement of Storage Liens – 50 U.S.C. § 3958.

    Section 3958 of the SCRA states that a person holding a lien on the property of a servicemember, such as a storage facility or a tow company, may not enforce the lien (dispose of the property) without a court order during the servicemember's period of military service and 90 days thereafter. 50 U.S.C. § 3958.

    Neither I, nor any of the other people who's vehicles were auctioned have received such a court order to the best of our knowledge.

    I called the towing company and politely asked if such an order was granted, to which he replied "vehicle's sold, don't know what to tell you" and did not answer the question. When I read him the above SCRA passage he said "you can read all the legal mumbo jumbo you want, it's sold" and hung up. Our chain of command attempted to contact him with similar results.

    We forwarded the information to the local JAG office, but they are being drastically less than helpful or information. So three questions:

    1) Is continuing to pursue this with the JAGs the best course of action, or am I/We better off finding an outside lawyer with more interest in our case

    2) What is the likelihood of recovering the vehicle, given that the new owner "legally" bought and registered it already, despite the initial sale apparently being illegal?

    3) Do we have reasonable grounds to pursue damages against the towing company?

    submitted by /u/PlayfulRabbit3
    [link] [comments]

    Step daughter repeatedly getting her father and I in legal trouble

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    State is Texas my step daughter repeatedly engages in activity that always ends up with the cops getting involved. Obligatory typing this on mobile, and beyond upset so please excuse and mistakes. To make this as short as possible I'll stick to the last incident. After homeschooling for the previous school semester she convinced us she was ready to start fresh in our new district and go back to school. I try to reach out to the February 3rd 2020 to give the school heads up on previous behavior and to beg them to keep an eye out. Call returned February 10, meeting February 14th. I informed school of her previous stays at psychiatric facilities in addition to her narrowly avoiding a child pornography distribution felony. I begged them to give me access to the schools Go Guardian app to monitor her use of the schools chrome book. I was never granted access. On Thursday February 20th I caught her going to school with no shirt on just a jacket, I went thru the computer and found out she indeed was trying to get a cell phone from another student. And was also in multiple relationships at school. When we sent her back to school in January we informed her one slip up and it was back to homeschool. So I informed her February 20th she would be returning to homeschooling. February 22 she ran away (for the 4th time in 3 years.) While she was gone I found out she had been using friends phones at school and contacting 22 year olds and other adults to try to run away and live with them in another state. She was gone February 22- February 27th, February 28th her schools assistant principal shows up at our house. We were out trying to find a facility that would take her, however due to a history of aggression towards animals and being a flight risk we were unable to get her into a temporary psychiatric facility. We could only do what we have done in the past which obviously didn't work and admit her on 72 hold. So we decided not to waste the 500+ dollars and keep her home and weigh our options to figure out our next move. March 4th I went to the school to unenroll her, after filling out all of the paperwork they told me I couldn't because there was no power of attorney even though I'm married to her biological dad who has full custody. My husband went to the school the following day March 5, and unenrolled her. I got a letter today charging my husband with Parent contributing to non attendance reported March 5th the day we unrolled her. The school was notified March 4th she would be attending K12 homeschooling. We received no warning or anything just a fine for 206 dollars. If you made it this far thank you so much for reading. Is this something I can fight? It appears if he pays the fine he will end up with a misdemeanor on his record.

    submitted by /u/nova2019
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] Landlord wants to move a convict into my house

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    Update at the bottom As the title states, my landlord wants to move some guy he knows, who is fresh out of jail, into my house. I live here with 2 other roommates, one of whom informed me of landlord's plan. When I asked where the landlord thought he was going to put this guy the answer was 'the living room couch'.

    This is absolutely unacceptable to me. First of all, I don't want some stranger fresh out of jail living on my couch. Secondly, I will not live with a situation where the police can come in and search my home whenever they please. I also assume that there would be other restrictions placed on us such as not being allowed to have alcohol in the house. I'm not much of a drinker but once in a while it's nice to unwind from a long hard day at work with a beer or two.

    My question is, what are my rights here? How should I approach the landlord about this?

    One last thing, my roommate told me about this on Thursday the 6th, but he seemed to think that maybe the landlord had other options too so we wouldn't have to worry. He also said that tomorrow is when they would be coming to look at the house (landlord, convict and parole officer? Not sure, he didn't specify). My landlord called me while I was at work today and left a voicemail asking me to call him back, that it was about something he promised his brother before we moved in (not my problem). Would I be in the right to come down hard on him for attempting to pull this on me with a days notice?

    Update: My landlord came over and I had a few minutes to speak to him. He said that this guy, a friend of his brother, who is also in jail, listed this address to parole. He said the parole officer is supposed to be coming to look at the house at 9am tomorrow but that he wouldn't be staying here. He assured me this guy wouldn't actually be moving in. So they're basically committing parole fraud.

    I'm a bit at a loss as to what I should do here. My little brother died this past April, 2 weeks later I was evicted from my apartment (Subletting from an awful roommate that took my money and never paid the landlord, luckily I wasn't on the lease) and life has been awful. I was finally able to move back out of my mom's place at the beginning of the year, but I'm at my wits end with everything. I'm not in the best place mentally nor financially to just uproot myself once again.

    submitted by /u/JointDexter
    [link] [comments]

    My grandmother bought a unit in a high rise building 3 months ago and is now finding that the building needs 6.5 million in repair

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    So she just moved into a high rise building and is now finding out that the building is damaged. The pipes are corroded and the balconies need repair. We became aware of this through an HOA meeting.

    Upon purchasing she asked about damage and the condition of the building and was told that it was fine and that repairs were just recently made. Her realtor assured her everything was fine and she also had a home inspection and they also told her that things were fine. The HOA did not give any information. The HOA did not even want to give her the handbook before she moved in. She is looking at about 390,000 in repairs roughly. This is more then her unit is worth. The advice we are seeking is a question of if it was legal for the HOA as a corporation to not present this information to her as they have apparently been discussing and debating the repairs for three years. We live in Arizona! Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/sleepinginthedaylite
    [link] [comments]

    HR terminated me after attempting to seek medical help due to workplace injury.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    State: TN

    I've been with my employer for two years as a production associate in a factory utilizing the same repetitive motions throughout the day.

    Twice in the year 2019 I've reported my "incidents" for my trigger finger on two separate fingers that were becoming so bad I could no longer grip in my right hand. My HR department sent me to our (joke of a) physical therapist which works in the same factory with no avail.

    Recently this year I walked into my HR department to ask if I could see/speak to a Dr. because of my worsening condition which was promptly 180'd into how bad my attendance was with the company.

    A couple weeks after I was fired for "Violation of attendance policy".

    What do I do now? File with the Tennessee department of labor?

    side-note: HR laid off around 70 employee's on the same date of my termination.

    submitted by /u/Forky_trash_can_
    [link] [comments]

    Mom may have spent my inheritance money

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:27 PM PDT

    Hello just looking for some guidance about a situation im currently in. Im not even really sure to begin. I live in Canada.

    When I was 12 years old my grandmother died of cancer and left my sister, my mom and I inheritance which was mostly just money. My mom, being an only child, was the executor of the will. She informed me when i was around 16 that my grandmother had left money for my sister and i, but she had set up accounts in our name at a bank and that when we were 21, we could access it.

    We had 2 trips when i was between 16-18 to the California and "my inheritance" payed for 1 year of my 4 year degree which costed approximately 4000 dollars.

    I am now 26 years old and do not have access to the account or know exactly what is inside of it. Whenever i talk to my mom about it she becomes very defensive and upset. My dad, who has been seperated from my mom since i was very young, keeps pressuring me to inquire further as he believed it was a "decent" amount of money. He believes there should be enough left to give me a downpayment for a house.

    Now recently, My great uncle invited me over to see him in private. When i arrived at his house he was visibly upset and told me "Oma keeps talking to me". I asked him to elaborate and he told me that my grandma has been "haunting" him in his sleep because of the will not being carried out properly. After a long conversation he disclosed to me that he believes there is upwards of a 100,000 dollars left in my sisters name, and my name. He believes my mom may have spent my portion of it as she lived well above her means for years and feels as though my mom is using "omas money" as her own.

    Combined with my mom suddenly coming up with 20,000 dollars to help pay for my sisters legal fees for a nasty divorce, i suspect this may be true.

    Is there anyway i could approach this situation and gather accurate information without my mom being disclosed? I am generally just curious if

    A) There is any money period. B) If there is, how much there is. C) If my mom has spent any recklessly or without my permission

    submitted by /u/Melodic_Field
    [link] [comments]

    (United States - NC) Is my employer required to provide a bathroom and or have a bathroom on the property available for the staff?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:57 AM PDT

    I work at a car wash, the site that I work at does not have a bathroom on site. The closest bathroom is at a gas station down the road, that's poorly maintained and they never have any soap. If I go a little farther I'll reach the McDonalds I go to occasionally for lunch. It's not too far, but I also don't have car on my Monday and Friday shifts as it's shared with my roommate, and I need to let them know ahead of time if I'll have to go to the bathroom so they can come pick me up and take me.

    My employer also requires I clock out for the bathroom because it's offsite, and mandates I only go during a fifteen minute break or thirty minute lunch.

    submitted by /u/BlahTempBlah
    [link] [comments]

    MIT is kicking me out of my dorm on Tuesday because of COVID-19. Is that allowed?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    MIT is kicking me out of my dorm because of the Coronavirus. The details are here: https://news.mit.edu/2020/letter-regarding-escalating-response-covid-19-0310

    Are they allowed to do this on such short notice? Do I have tenant rights as a student in on-campus housing?

    (Edit: MIT is in Massachusetts)

    submitted by /u/MITthrowaway2020
    [link] [comments]

    Coworker has now twice touched me inappropriately in a break room. HR “talked to him.” How do I protect myself?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:18 AM PDT

    I work for a large company in Illinois, and twice over the last five months a coworker I barely know has inappropriately touched me while I was preparing my lunch in a break room. The first time (5 months ago) he sort of thrust his hand into my butt cheek, and the second time (a few days ago) he ran the side of his hand against my upper thigh. Both times he did it in the presence of others, and both times tried to act as though he was unaware of making contact with me, and then he ignored my responses and avoided eye contact. The first time I jumped and gasped but assumed it was a mistake. The second time I said "excuse me!" and glared daggers, and when I saw him coming towards me moments later for a third time I stopped him and said "You know, I didn't say anything the first time or second time this happened but I'm saying it now, that I'm not comfortable with you not asking before coming over here to throw something away and touching me. I understand this is a small space but you need to respect my personal boundaries by asking before entering my space." He stammered "Oh okay" with a blank expression, and then awkwardly left the room with his trash still in his hand. A nearby coworker told me she didn't see what happened, but when I explained that it was the second time he touched me inappropriately, she said I did the right thing by confronting him.

    The first thing I did was talk to my husband, and then I emailed HR to schedule a meeting. I described what happened to two different people in HR and tried not to let my emotions get the better of me. The second one asked what I wanted done about the situation, and I said I didn't know. In that conversation she said more than once that she would follow up with me after they spoke to him. I didn't hear anything for two days so I sent her an email. An hour later she called, sounding annoyed, and told me that she talked to him. She also said "I don't know what you were hoping for, follow-up wise." She also asked again, "what do you want to see happen?"

    r/legaladvice what should I do to protect myself from being taken advantage of by HR, and preyed on by this coworker? Ideally I would like to never see this man again. If he does this again should I call the police?

    submitted by /u/sexharassed_notfun
    [link] [comments]

    (Canada) There is evidence of corporate fraud and theft, but the shareholders previously resolved to exempt audits for all years. How can we get an audit?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    This company has a board of one, and the ceo has denied all requests to see financial details. Shareholders want to see where their money went, but the ceo won't share and is highlighting that a previous resolution exempted an audit for all years.

    There is mounting evidence of theft, and lies to cover up the thefts, and we all think an audit will reveal more. How can we get to the truth?

    submitted by /u/fundedafraud
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment