• Breaking News

    Monday, March 16, 2020

    Legal Advice - [NJ] Employer is "withholding pay" for 2 weeks because of Coronavirus.

    Legal Advice - [NJ] Employer is "withholding pay" for 2 weeks because of Coronavirus.


    [NJ] Employer is "withholding pay" for 2 weeks because of Coronavirus.

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    I work in NJ, and my employers billing department just sent this email out to all employees:

    Hello All,

    As you are aware, the world is dealing with the current Coronavirus Pandemic and as a result we will be experiencing delayed shipments in the coming weeks. To assist in addressing these hardships the company will be holding two weeks pay. The next salary payment will be on April 15th.

    We are sorry for the inconvenience and financial burden this may cause you.

    What is the legality of this? I know they can't just outright refuse to pay us as per New Jersey Stat. 34:11-4.4, but can they legally hold our pay for 2 weeks because they have zero contingencies in place for crises such as these?

    submitted by /u/Vulg4r
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord says I owe huge move out fee - which I don't. What are my options

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 03:36 AM PDT

    Hello. This winter, I moved into a new apartment and within a month my heat had to be turned off for a safety issue. I was without heat for 10 days. A couple of days in I gave the landlord 72hr notice to have my heat on or the lease would be ended - as outlined in Chicago RTLO. It was written by a tenants rights organization and they have a copy of it too.

    At the end of the 72 hrs I looked for and found a safe and warm place to live.

    Now the old landlord says i owe the move out fee which is $5000. I emailed and stated that I dont owe the fee because the lease ended legally and as a result of them failing to provide me basic amenities. They say that the heat was fixed in a 'reasonable timeframe' so I'm not excused for the fee. I have written proof that I was without heat for 10 days. - 7 of them beyond the 72hr notice.

    They keep emailing asking me to set up a payment plan.

    I ended the lease legally and the tenants rights group agree. However they said I will need representation if the landlord continues to pressure me. I dont have spare money for a lawyer right now considering in the last few months I've had to move twice and incurred all the move in fees that go with both places (over $1000) plus the cost of actual moving.. so I was thinking

    1. Maybe I wait until they serve me, because if I'm getting sued, they would end up paying my legal fees?
    2. I've responded once stating why I dont owe them anything and I've ignored further emails. Maybe they are just pressuring me in the hope that I pay them? If I ignore them they might go away? But I'm worried they can mess with my credit score , which is excellent as I've never missed a payment in my life

    Anyone got any idea what I need to do and whether I need to be proactive.. and if there is a way to not have this hit me hard in the wallet?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Watersedge36
    [link] [comments]

    Governor Wolf of PA declared that all non-essential businesses must close by midnight tonight. My employer, a gym in PA, says that despite what Governor Wolf said, we will not close at all. What are my options and what ramifications could my employer face?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 01:13 PM PDT

    Edit: Just found out this wasnt a mandate, but an "order" which seems to have no legal backing.

    submitted by /u/bonusminutes
    [link] [comments]

    Scammed and can prove it. eBay and PayPal claim their not at fault. Anything further I can do?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 10:02 PM PDT

    I sold an item on ebay. [New York]

    The buyer returned the item. The buyer sent the item to my area but not my house. The buyer got his refund.

    I did not receive the item. I contacted USPS who verified I did not receive the item and that it wasn't even addressed to me. Here's the kicker.. the item was returned to me from a completely different state.

    I contacted PayPal who told me it sounded like a scam and to contact eBay to appeal the case.

    I contacted eBay and they denied my appeal and stated the item was returned to me so the tracking number shows. When I explained to the ebay rep that it wasn't even addressed to me, or that it was returned from a completely different state they told me there was nothing I could do that I basically got scammed because as far as their system goes it does not check the location from which it was sent, they only check to see where the item goes.

    To put a cherry on top the item was delivered to my post office and picked up by someone (assuming the scammer had someone in my state).

    eBay basically told me I am at a loss. Is there anything further I can do? The item was valued at over $300 USD.

    submitted by /u/Mod_Flex
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor is trying to murder me

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    I posted this in r/advice too, but I'm trying to get some feedback here as well.

    He filed a noise complaint a few nights ago and just lost it when we came out to respond to the cops. We live in an apartment building, and he just stood there shouting until the police restrained him. He's been shouting threats that he's gonna kill us and rape me when my boyfriend leaves for work through the wall day and night for 2 days. This morning he was pacing outside our door waiting for us to leave.

    I managed to slip out to file a criminal complaint downtown, but they turned me away and said that filing a complaint wont matter anyway since the courts will soon be closed because of Covid-19. Is there anything I can do besides wait for him to do something? This is pretty terrifying.

    Update: I'm in Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.

    Also

    He's calmed down for a couple of hours now. I'll update in the morning if he gets manic again. Also I'm letting everyone know that the moment I hear him stir up again I'm gettin the hell out of here. At first I wanted to stand my ground ("this is my home, no one can frighten me here" - Sansa Stark) but fuck that if I'm unarmed and the police won't help.

    submitted by /u/obiwanolivia
    [link] [comments]

    Employer reduced my hourly pay without warning, they claim they gave me a raise by mistake.

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 04:43 PM PDT

    I work for a well known grocery store in California. Back in November of last year I got a raise from 12.70 to 15.50 (at the time I thought this was because I changed job titles). Then at the start of the year I was boosted to 16.50 when I asked why I was told that it was because of a scheduled pay increase for my pay bracket.

    Fast forward to the start of March I realized the my pay was reduced down to 14.50 with no warning or explanation. I talked to my manager and they opened a case for me with payroll, but when I called back a few days payroll told me that they couldn't help me and that I should talk to HR. I emailed and called HR and after a week or so of waiting they told me that my original raise back in November was a mistake and that now I was being played the correct hourly amount.

    I didn't think they could just reduce my pay without notice, even if it was a mistake. Is there anything I can do in this situation? I'm sorry if this is rambling I'm kinda stressing out right now.

    Any help or insight would be appreciated thank you.

    submitted by /u/mattjon14
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord is asking us to SEVERELY reduce water, what are my options?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 02:02 PM PDT

    For context I live by myself in a 12 unit, 2 building apartment complex in a larger city in Kentucky.

    Today I received a group text from my landlord saying:

    " We are having a major problem with the plumbing in the laundry room. We anticipate the sewers in the front yard will need to be dug up. Until I notify you that this problem has been fixed, we can't run the washing machine. For those living in [STREET ADDRESS], please SEVERELY cut down on water usage. Please take sponge baths and use the restroom as little as possible. [Name of other tenant] will be the first to see the water in his unit. We are trying to address this ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience."

    I live in the address mentioned. I am very upset given we are in the middle of a PANDEMIC and are recommended to wash hands frequently.

    Also I am health professional student, which adds even more to the necessity to wash hands and bathe as necessary.

    In the past I don't think my landlord has treated me fairly based on age, but I know I have no proof of that. With that being said and this new conundrum, I would like to move out ASAP, but my lease ends in the middle of June. What are my options?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/thebengalsarebad27
    [link] [comments]

    Is my employer allowed to take punitive action against me for letting others know I’m sick (COVID-19)? I live in Toronto

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    Apologies for any issues as I'm on mobile. I've been feeling under the weather the past few days and woke up to a fever and cough this morning. I called my doctor after reviewing the government listed symptoms and after discussing where I've been, who I've interacted with, etc. He told me I am in line with COVID symptoms and to do the minimum 14 day isolation, my partner also had to quarantine, that I would be unable to get tested currently as there aren't enough for the general public and more.

    Prior to talking to my doctor I called my work (I wanted to give heads up so they would have time to cover shifts as my very large, still busy retail store in downtown Toronto continues to be open). I attempted to call them after talking to my doctor and even called the cell and left a message with my store director as nobody answered to keep them up to date.

    After not getting a reply I also posted to my story on Instagram (as I was instructed to let everyone I came in contact with know I'm showing symptoms by my doctor) letting people know that I am showing symptoms that could potentially be COVID, that I'm unable to be tested and why, to message me for any questions, and just to generally be mindful for symptoms and to take the steps to properly maintain their health. I figured a post was best since I work with more than 25 different rotating people daily and don't have most of their direct contact info.

    A few hours later I received a call from my store director very unhappy I had made a post about this, that I had upset and scared a lot of people unnecessarily, that hr is involved, and accusing me of not taking the proper steps to let them take care of notifying people. She also let me know they would be having a meeting deciding "how to handle (me) and this issue that's been created". I'm supposed to be getting a call later telling me what their decisions are but the overall tone was not one that set me at ease.

    I am already having to take minimum 2 weeks unpaid leave, and I'm now concerned I may not have a job to come back to or may have strikes against me when I return for alerting people to my health clearly before they intended to let people know.

    Thanks in advance for any advice!

    submitted by /u/lizardman9000
    [link] [comments]

    (Update) Moved into a house owned by my landlord, who also happens to live there. Gave me access to entirety of house with some restrictions. Is he allowed to restrict access to a shower?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    Link to the Original Post Below

    https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/fj1271/moved_into_a_house_owned_by_my_landlord_who_also/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

    At the advice of several nice people on here (thank you), I went ahead and typed up a notice to my landlord and sent bvn it to him. Using the power of Virginia Landlords and Tenants Act, I was able to make a well written post explaining what he violated. He proceeded to belittle me in every single way possible as well as tell me he will not be fixing anything

    At this point, I do believe the ball is out of my court now, and in his hands. Is there anything else I need to do at this point?

    If you want to read what i wrote, and what he sent back the link to the messages are in the link below, and have been edited for omitting personally identifying information.

    https://imgur.com/a/InlSWqW

    submitted by /u/ugaphoenix
    [link] [comments]

    (IL) after receiving cease and desist for leaving a negative review telling me to remove it for "false information", could i get in trouble for changing the review to say that they sent a cease and desist to remove said review?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 02:46 PM PDT

    Forgive me if I seem extrenely petty with this. But I want to make sure if i go full petty, I dont fuck myself over with it.

    Title sums it up. I left a negative review for a daycare facility. The owner had an attorney send me a cease and desist to remove "any and all false reviews" or else, basically. My review was completely truthful, but as young parents we cannot afford an attorney if they do go through with suing us. We dont have a few thousand laying around, as much as I wish we did.

    I hate to remove my review because then they have effectively bullied me in to submission. If I remove all the old verbage from my review, and simply state that they sent a cease and desist for leaving a negative review, doesn't that technically meet their demands?

    I would remove the negative "false" review and replace it with facts I can most definitely prove via the cease and desist letter. Illinois has anti-SLAPP laws and the letter is completely true, so would that protect me? Or realistically, how fucked would I be?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/123throwing456
    [link] [comments]

    Can my mom stop paying child support because I don't want to go to her place?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 08:46 AM PDT

    I'm 16, my parents got a divorce when I was 4. The custody agreement is that I live with my dad and go to my mom's every other weekend. There was an issue with my mom's boyfriend and now my dad has decided I won't be going anymore (that's what I want). I didn't go this weekend as planned and she's mad about it. She has texted me that from now on she stops paying child support since I don't go anymore. She says now she doesn't have to spend money on me since I'm not going to see her I'm not her responsibility anymore. Thing is my dad really needs that money. He works hard but we're not doing that well financially. Can she do that? TY

    I'm in Ohio if that matters.

    submitted by /u/Tylershotwheels
    [link] [comments]

    School employee viewing records without cause

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    Phoenix AZ

    To provide context, I went to a private university for 4 years and graduated. So the school has all my information from when I was a student, including addresses, payment info, any reports, etc.

    I now work at the school full time. A fellow employee (who's basically been harassing me) recently looked up all of my student information. There was no work related purpose for looking up this information. Does this violate FERPA or any other laws?

    submitted by /u/undopctred
    [link] [comments]

    Greenville SC - School is dropping pay

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    In SC, the schools were all shut down by the governor of the state. The school my SO works for has said that they are still responsible for working during this time (Totally Understandable); however, their pay will be reduced if students do not submit their work. Is it legal to reduce the pay of a teacher because a student does not submit work, even if the teacher is proving that they are available and working during this time? It is also worth noting that many of the students in her class do not have internet access at home and thus cannot submit work.

    submitted by /u/Khuma-zi_Eldrama
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get in trouble for COVID-19 outbreak preventing me from registering my vehicle?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    Due to COVID-19, all DMVs in Denver are going to be closed until further notice. Not only that, but their online registration portal wont be back up until late April. My paper plates expire late this month. I know I really should not have put registering my car off this long, but because there is no way for me to register my vehicle I can still get in trouble? I have all the papers necessary for registration and plan on registering it as soon as possible.

    submitted by /u/Pikachickk
    [link] [comments]

    Cancer patient with custody agreement

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    I live in PA. I have custody of my 9 year old daughter. There's an order in place that my daughter is to go to her maternal grandmothers every other weekend. I'm wondering if I have to send my daughter there during this whole corona scare. PA has closed schools and nonessential businesses. I have stage 4 lung cancer and Im currently on chemotherapy. My daughters maternal grandmother gets 8 different children, my daughter included, every other weekend. I am very concerned about sending my daughter there and her potentially becoming sick. I cannot risk getting this. I only have one lung left and currently on chemo. I'm certain this would kill me. The children all go to different schools so I feel there's a higher chance of one of them having this and not knowing it. Do I have to send my daughter there even though we have a custody agreement? Her weekend is coming up, this Friday, and I'm not sure if I should start this fight or not. She's not very willing to work with me, on anything, so I know she's not going to willingly allow my daughter to stay home. I'm contemplating just dealing with the legal repercussions of not sending her. Any help or advice would be very appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Myowndemise86
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors threatening to sue over CC&R violation, but my townhome does not have CC&Rs.

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    I live in a townhome in Seattle, WA with one shared wall (It's a standalone building with 2 units, and that building is in a short subdivision of 8 buildings in total). The townhomes have no HOA. There is a joint use/maintenance agreement that speaks to roof replacements and rules about painting units with shared walls, but no mentions of fences/gates or maintaining uniformity of the townhomes.

    I'm on good terms with my neighbor with whom I share a wall. I asked my neighbor if he'd be okay with me replacing the dilapidated fence around my property (including a section of fence that we share together) and he had no problems at all, so I went ahead and had the fence replaced. Sidenote, it looks amazing. Its a beautiful cedar fence. And, as I said, he was cool with it.

    However, my fence has only been up for a day and 2 different neighbors in the block of townhomes (separate buildings that can't even see my fence from where they live) have threatened me with legal action. I found a copy of the aforementioned joint use/maintenance agreement taped to my front door with a passive aggressive note about "checking the CC&Rs" because my fence is a violation. Again, no mention of fences or gates or even exterior look-and-feel mentioned in this thing. After speaking with my neighbors directly, they accused me of violating the CC&R and said I would suffer legal repercussions including either taking down my fence, or being forced to pay for everyone else's fence so that the townhomes retain uniformity.

    I'm not a litigious person and was hoping it wouldn't go in this direction, so I was taken aback by this. I called my estate agent and title company and they both confirmed there are no HOA or CC&R's associated with our block of townhomes. Furthermore, in my Sellers Disclosure, I found that the previous owners checked a box "NO" when asked if the property came with any CC&Rs.

    I do not want to get into a legal war with neighbors here, but I do want to protect myself and this cedar fence, so I'm asking:

    • Are there any other places where CC&Rs (or any other rules about exterior maintenance) that I need to look? My neighbors claim they have some document that covers fences and neighborhood uniformity, but they wouldn't show it to me.
    • Should I spend some money and lawyer up to defend myself, or is it likely that I'm covered already by what I've found?
    submitted by /u/seattlebrit
    [link] [comments]

    Tenant has been late on rent before, and is letting us know he will be late again and will not owe back the rent money he misses

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    SF, CALIFORNIA, USA.

    I own a house with a studio which has a separate entrance, kitchen, bathroom. Tenant has been late on rent before. I let those two times slide because I'm a nice person. Once it was 12 days late, another was one week late. Due to the coronavirus going on, I get a long text message today from tenant saying that he will have his hours cut short and he won't be able to pay rent the next few months. He says that he needs to give his extra money to his family in need and that we don't need the rent money. I then told him he will owe us and he said he will not owe us the rent at all the next few months and we cannot legally evict him because of the coronavirus. Basically went on a long text tirade and said that health matters and that he deserves to live rent free for three months. I found this outrageous. I need to pay my bills too. Electric and water bills are super high because of this man. So can he get away with living here rent free? I am desperate to understand the laws to this ASAP. Please help

    Edit: yes I get it everyone is in a tough time right now because of this coronavirus. I was just laid off myself. This mans hours were cut short. & he also claims to have a lot of money in his bank account that will go to his family first before rent.

    submitted by /u/cj777650
    [link] [comments]

    I was "laid-off" today. Do I need a Lawyer?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    I am 26 and I work as a production manager for an industry highly impacted by COVID-19. Today I was laid off due to the poor economic climate and was offered a "severance" along with my unemployment.

    This Severance is for 50% of my base salary paid in 6 bi-weekly installments over the next 3 months, to be followed by a reevaluation period. In my letter, it says that I am more than welcome to seek employment elsewhere and if I am hired, The payments stop. That makes sense. However my boss goes on to say, "This is a "Lay off." The expectation is that you work and are available. Clients need to feel our presence or we won't be back to work fast enough."

    Is it even legal to have a severance package with strings of employment attached?

    Do I hire a lawyer?

    Is my boss able to take away the severance completely if I get a lawyer involved?

    Is this a way for my boss to get me to commit to continue working with me at a lower rate and reducing payroll?

    submitted by /u/dodgerblueballed
    [link] [comments]

    Pharmacy filled prescription wrong, resulting in 3 seizures and loss of job

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 03:44 PM PDT

    I've (25f) had seizures since I was 17. I've been successfully treated with the same medication since then. A little over two months ago, my doctor increased my dosage a bit (same medication.) He sent the prescription to my pharmacy, where I picked it up. In the following 2 months, I have had 3 seizures, resulting in 2 ambulance rides, one hospital stay, an EEG, the loss of my driving privileges, and even worse, the loss of my job. Not to mention the emotional and physical distress that tonic-clonic seizures cause. My life has been completely turned upside-down.

    Tonight, after my neurologist informed me that I had almost no medication in my bloodstream, I decided to take a closer look at my prescription bottle, thinking maybe I had been mis-prescribed. I found that the description of the pills on the label didn't at all match the actual pills in the bottle. I looked up the description of the pills in the bottle on google and found that they were anti-fungal pills. Basically, the pharmacy had mis-filled my seizure medication, 'Levetiracetam,' with an anti-bacterial medication, 'Levofloxacin.'

    Essentially, for a little over two months, I've been taking an anti-fungal instead of my anti-convulsant, and have had 3 tonic-clonic seizures and multiple auras/partial seizures because of that. From a legal standpoint, what legal actions (if any) can/should I take going forward?

    Edit: I'm located in Cincinnati, Ohio

    td;lr: My pharmacy mis-filled my seizure medication bottle with an anti-fungal medication. I've had 3 seizures, forcing me to quit my job and lose driving privileges (not to mention the resulting emotional and physical pain). What legal action can/should I take?

    submitted by /u/MyRedVelvetBrain
    [link] [comments]

    Received impound bill for vehicle sold in 2006

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 07:56 PM PDT

    I received a bill from a tow company for the removal of an abandoned vehicle which was previously registered in my name in WA state. The vehicle was sold in 2006 to a private purchaser and the sale reported to the Washington Sate Department of Licensing (DOL) as is required. I informed the tow company that I am not the owner of the vehicle and have not been for more than a decade, they contend that my name is the only one they can locate and that I need to contact the department of licensing to obtain proof that I should not be charged.

    I contacted the WA DOL and attempted to obtain proof of the transfer of ownership; unfortunately, they informed me that all publicly available records of that age have been purged and are no longer available (any records over 6 years).

    Obviously the tow company has access to some sort of records that contain my information, and I assume the information of the person I reported selling the vehicle to. I do not know if they actually did the transfer on their end, only that I reported the sale on my end. Does anyone out there know how this system works and if there is any means of getting my hands on the information that the tow company is using to find me owing? I would greatly appreciate any advice. This was not a bill I anticipated, especially 14 years after selling the vehicle.

    submitted by /u/ineptwashington
    [link] [comments]

    HOA doesn’t want us to have washer in our condo

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    We just bought a condo that doesn't have w/d and we would like to install one. There isn't anything on the HOA rules that says we can't install but the board member that we got in touch with told us since units don't have individual water meter, we have to use the common w/d and HOA can disallow w/d installation due to this reason.

    How would you recommend we proceed? Just going on with installation or contacting a lawyer.

    submitted by /u/leonozz
    [link] [comments]

    Los Angeles, CA- Landlord intends to let prospective tenants tour my apartment tomorrow, can I refuse?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 12:54 PM PDT

    Hi r/legaladvice,

    I just received a notice under my door that my landlord will let prospective tenants tour my apartment tomorrow. I know under normal circumstances, this is legal and I would totally be fine with it, but with the city starting to lock down and virus spreading across the area, I am not comfortable having strangers come into my apartment. I live in a very densely populated part of los Angeles with confirmed COVID-19 cases in the area. They very well could be spreading the virus to me or I could be spreading it to them. Is there anything I can do to refuse this given the current pandemic? Also I am just being paranoid or is this unreasonable for my landlord to continue to let strangers tour my apartment when we should be practice social distancing? Thanks for reading, any advice would be great.

    Edit: Thank you to the replies! I knew I probably didn't have the law on my side but I wasn't sure if there were exceptions given current circumstances. Thankfully after a few phone calls and emails my landlord has agreed to cancel the walkthrough.

    submitted by /u/Wee_Ninja
    [link] [comments]

    I’m being sued for 200k+

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 06:37 PM PDT

    Alright so a few months ago I was in a fender bender and insurance decided it was 50/50 blame. Now I received a statement of claim about this accident and a lot of mentions of therapy and neck pain when they were fine and the damage was minimal on the car. My question is, is there any chance I can lose this? Like can people just make fake claims like this. They only did it after insurance decided it was 50/50 even tho it occurred in October. This happened in Alberta Canada

    submitted by /u/Murad2013
    [link] [comments]

    I screwed up big time: holdover rent.

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    I would like to preface this with yes, I am a huge idiot, and I acted selfishly. Yes, I understand how foolish my actions were and i'm trying my best to remedy them. This is in North Carolina.

    So, I've lived at this apartment in my college town for about 19 months. I Originally moved in with a friend, and everything was fine. The first 12 months went by normally, I paid my rent, and he moved out at the end. The place was pretty old, and had its flaws but it was close to campus and cheap. I decided to stick around. I found a new roommate. This is where it gets messy: two property managers were fired and it's complicated things a fair bit.

    I kept trying to get a lease signed along with my new roommate. There were many complications: the first property manager was an alcoholic and procrastinated on a lot of work that needed to be done. Some of my new neighbors did not have their apartment ready in time. Walls and floors were torn up, furniture moved into bug-infested neighboring apartments without consent, etc etc.. needless to say it was a whole mess. I tried getting a lease signed but to no avail, talked with the property manager but he was useless. He was fired not too long after that, and a new property manager came along as well as the owner of the building. The owner did a little tour of the apartments to check on things and to meet the tenants, as well as apologize for everything and promise that all would be amended. The new property manager kept saying he had a lease drawn up for us to sign and that we should have it in no time. Time goes by, we still don't have a lease. I don't hear from him for a while, and it turns out he went across the country to Washington for rehab. Without us knowing. So, we still haven't signed a lease so we stop paying rent. We paid by dropping off checks/money orders in a box at a pharmacy also operated by the same owners. We were, in our minds, not contractually obligated to pay, so why should we? If i have no guarantee of living there, why should I be paying? Perhaps this would motivate them to finally give us a lease. My friend who lived there before I did had his own troubles with them and told us the apartments were essentially afterthoughts to extremely wealthy owners. We were annoyed. So months go by, not a word is communicated to us. We stopped paying rent. We still paid utilities.

    Cut to now, it's been 7 months. I was talking with my neighbor who had their own debacle with them: they still hadn't signed a lease, but had reduced rent somehow for how badly they were inconvenienced when they first attempted to move in (aided by multiple lawsuit threats). She tells me that I may still be on the hook for it since I had lived there the previous year and signed a lease that included a holdover rent clause. Quote: "If tenant is still living in the premises after the termination of the date of this agreement, the tenant will pay $150 per day until the tenant and Landlord alter the lease and this agreement may be extended". Needless to say, I never signed a new lease, but the old one may still be legally binding. I have technically been living here since the termination of our last agreement. Even if I move out now and disappear, they may come after me. My roommate appears to be off the hook though as he never signed anything.

    What's my best move from here? Ideally I could just pay what I owe in full over time, starting now. It's $450/mo for 6 months of rent. I have about two months saved. Could I wait until i have the full amount and then pay up to the present? I'm a college student working full time along with school. I can save up, but it may take me a couple months. Is it best to contact the company first? I have no idea what to do. I know I fucked up. I'm just trying to make amends. It was selfish and foolish to do so without considering the consequences or the affect on the people that own the apartment.

    submitted by /u/throwaway1950301015
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment