• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 17, 2020

    Legal Advice - Just found out I was to inherit $50k from a relative deceased in 2014, but his stepdaughter stole the trust.

    Legal Advice - Just found out I was to inherit $50k from a relative deceased in 2014, but his stepdaughter stole the trust.


    Just found out I was to inherit $50k from a relative deceased in 2014, but his stepdaughter stole the trust.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    Hi folks. This is a long shot since so much time has passed, but I'm curious if anyone knows the best course of action to take.

    My great-uncle passed away in 2014. He had mentioned, while living, that I was to receive some inheritance when he passed away, but after his passing, I didn't hear anything so figured I wasn't getting anything. Apparently, his stepdaughter disappeared along with all of the money and put his wife into a home, but nothing has been heard of from either of them since.

    Fast forward to last Sunday, my parents handed me an envelope postmarked for 2014, addressed to me, from the law firm that handled his will. The document enclosed stated that a trust was set up to be distributed to his relatives upon his death, and I was mentioned in there as being assigned an inheritance of $50,000. I know my parents didn't have any ill-intention and meant to give me the envelope a long time ago and forgot about it.

    My uncle lived and died in Palm Springs, CA. I'm living in Washington State. The last known location of the deceased's wife and stepdaughter is Louisiana.

    With the amount of time that passed, is there anything I can do to pursue this?

    submitted by /u/Killikov100
    [link] [comments]

    Parents bought a house for roughly half a million, Neighbor in the back thinks a chunk of their property is his because he planted trees on it and took care of it for 20 years before they bought it. Now he wants them to give it to them

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    Hi there. I'm not too familiar with this subreddit, but I was given some advice to come here, to at least get some direction on this situation. Any help with what information I have would be appreciated. Also, apologies for any mistakes. I'm on mobile.

    So for background on this, last year, my parents were looking to buy a house, and settled on one with an HOA in Overland Park KS. They quite literally closed on it a few days after Christmas. Currently, my Mother is the one living there, as she is working abroad while my sister works towards finishing her last term as a senior in highschool (which we hope the closing for Corvid-19 won't delay, but nothing is ever easy) in the town my Mother to live in. My sister lives with my Father in that town, so he has to make a 6-8 hour commute every weekend to handle projects for my Mother, as she is an administrator at a local hospital while consistently being on call.

    They are looking to repair an electric fence to keep their dogs within the property for when my sister graduates and they all move down there. They needed to submit a plan and map done by a professional surveyor to be allowed to bring in anyone who can work on it. That is where this trouble has begun. While the surveyor was outside doing their job on the very backside of their backyard, my Mother's rear neighbor came outside and shouted at them to leave his property and that they had better not be planning on building anything on it. Apparently, he had planted about 8 trees (I do not remember an exact number) on what he believed to be his property 20 years ago and has been taking care of it ever since. The previous owners never brought this up with him. Now, my Father is a prickly person, and does not do diplomacy very well, but he apparently called him this morning to figure things out. This neighborhood is apparently acknowledge he never paid for this property not legally owns it, but wants my parents to give it to him for free, as he has been taking care of it for so long. My Father was indignant at this, demanding to be paid if he wants it that badly, noting not a single contract either of them has ever signed has given him any right to the property.

    I should note, these are not the only property issues they are currently having after moving here. Another neighbor to their left had not followed HOA guidelines when he built a pocket fence 5 feet inside his line, and the HOA is telling both my parents and him that the electric fence and his have to meet at the property line, though he is demanding we leave an alleyway type of space. Further, this all happened with the rear neighbor literally this morning, and the HOA has not had time to input to my knowledge.

    submitted by /u/FiddlerOnACliff
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord wants me gone because of toilet paper

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    My Landlord wants me gone because i refused to stock up on toilet paper and other dried foods like rice and such. Regarding Coronavirus, she doesnt want me going to the grocery store more than once every 2 weeks but i said even if i stock up i'd still be going weekly to get things like milk and such. It started a long argument about how i have to listen to her because shes in charge and this is not my home (im renting a room) and ended with her telling me i need to be gone by April 1st.

    This argument was on March 15th. I paid the rent for the month of March already and also paid for last month's rent which should be for April to which I told her I'd be leaving May 1st. She refused and said she will return my last months rent and wants me gone April 1st.

    Also we got into another argument yesterday night where i secretly recorded it on my phone and she was making racist comments about how its always her black tenants that cause trouble and dont listen to her.

    Could I make a case against her for anything? Do I have to leave by April 1st? Should I just leave and avoid the stress but take legal action?

    Edit: I live in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

    Edit2: I'm not on a lease. I just pay for a a room monthly by cash or e transfer and she writes a receipt which I have kept. I've been here since December

    submitted by /u/i__rage
    [link] [comments]

    Explicitly told I was not getting hired because my medical condition would make clients uncomfortable

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    I have a neurological disorder that causes a very mild tremor in my hands and my head. This past year I went to and completed cosmetology school, I graduated at the top of my class and got a perfect score on all hair sections of the state boards. As I started applying to jobs I would find that my interviews seemed to go well but I just couldn't get hired.

    I applied at a salon and went through three interviews, one of them being a technical where I performed a haircut. At the technical they asked about my tremor and I explained that it was benign and doesn't affect my ability to do hair. A few days later they called to say they weren't hiring me. I asked why and what I could do in future interviews to be a more competitive candidate. They said, "We loved you and your haircutting is amazing but it came down to your shaking hands. We think clients will be uncomfortable with it. This was a really hard decision for us because we really wanted to hire you. We talked to an employment lawyer and we're following their advice."

    Was this actually legal? Is there anything I can do?

    Edit: I'm specifically looking for legal advice, as this subreddit's name implies. I'm not interested in comments and personal messages about general life advice.

    submitted by /u/lennoxsoup
    [link] [comments]

    Can I hire someone undercover to go through my HR interview process - from an executive of a large organization not wanting to tipoff my team...

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 04:43 PM PDT

    I can't figure out why we are not finding good talent and I am wondering if our interview process is part of the problem. Can I pay someone to go through our application/interview/etc process undercover and report the experience back to me without legal ramifications?

    submitted by /u/detroitslowstomp
    [link] [comments]

    Is it Illegal to hire someone as a part time employee and work them full time to prevent paying benefits? [colorado]

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:08 AM PDT

    Everything is pretty much in the title. My mom has been working for a large grocery store for over a year and when she was hired they hired her as a part time employee but proceed to schedule her full 40 work weeks since she was hired. Is there anything she can do to retroactively to make up for lost benefits?

    submitted by /u/coffee4life123
    [link] [comments]

    Was groped, and dry humped at work with witnesses, and was called a liar. (20F)

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:30 PM PDT

    5pm I came to work at small restaurant. The cooks and I aren't super close, but comfortable enough to joke around. They rarely make inappropriate jokes towards me since they've both met my boyfriend. One of the cooks lets call him T is 36. The other cook, B, is 33. All my severs I work with are female.

    So around 6-7pm I got to the kitchen which is in the back, hidden from view of the rest of the restaurant. T came up to me while B was in front of us. T asked if I was ticklish which I replied i guess and he proceeded to tickle my armpits and my knees. Once he didnt get a reaction he forcefully grabbed my waist, spun me around and groped my butt/dry humped me and "said is that ticklish?". B saw the whole thing and started yelling at T. I was in shock and went and talked to the "cook manager", she sent T home for the day. T apologized in passing, but regardless he sexually assaulted me.

    I came back to work the next day at 5pm and told my manager who said she would talk to T. I'm not sure what was said, but he was still working the next day. That same day the cook were rude and messed up every order I had, screwing with my tips. Then, the manager told me later in the night that someone said I was lying about T touching me( there was only the three of us in the kitchen). It was in view of a security camera but my manager said its too much to go through.

    I worked one more day after and quit because nothing was being done about it. I just want to know if there are any steps I can take to make sure this doesn't get swept under the carpet, and another girl is victimized.

    submitted by /u/Likestobeburned
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally bumped into an insane person with a shopping cart.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    We were at Walmart in Maryland, and my wife was pushing the cart, we turned the corner and she accidentally bumped into a lady at a very low speed. The lady made a very big deal about it and called for a store manager. We waited with her, my wife apologizing profusely, but the lady kept escalating it. I noticed the lady had her shoe shoved all the way down so that the sides of the shoe were under her heel so that her ankle was exposed, which I am now thinking she did in the hopes that she would get a visual injury.

    I eventually told her we needed to move on and she flipped out telling us we needed to wait for the store manager. I asked her if she had a pen so that I could give her our information, which she did not. I ended up leaving my wife to see if Walmart would have some video so that the lady could see that my wife pushed the cart very slowly, not that we were speeding around as this lady was accusing. We eventually gave her my wife's drivers license (which I now regret) so that she could get our name and address, but when I refused to give her our phone number she decided to call the police. The police cane down and told her this was a civil matter and that they would not be filing a report. She lied to the police telling them my wife ran over her foot, when in actuality my wife bumped her heel. Walmart probably has video but is not willing to release it except to the police.

    I would have no problem paying this woman's copay for a doctor visit/urgent care etc, assuming she has insurance. I'm not sure how I would feel if she does not have health insurance. The police asked her if she wanted an ambulance and she said no, that she would go get an X-ray tomorrow. My worry is that I am dealing with a possible scam artist. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the situation? My wife (who doesn't speak English) was crying when the police eventually told the lady that she was wasting their time. I think it might have been a mistake to give her our contact info. Are there any strategies to dealing with possible scammers?

    submitted by /u/USNWoodWork
    [link] [comments]

    Company I worked for had me unknowingly drive a commercial truck without insurance or registration. Got in a small accident. I'm stuck with the bill. What do I do now?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    I'm a W-2 hourly employee. I'm a mover that's also drives a commercial truck for the company. The accident was on a private parking lot (while working for the company) and I found out from the police report that there wasn't any records of registration or insurance for the vehicle. The total bill I received was for $1000. From what I have read and been told my employer is supposedly to be legally obligated to pay for that. However, I am being held responsible for the bill. What should I do now?

    submitted by /u/FeedMeCreatine
    [link] [comments]

    I was laid off yesterday due to COVID and found out my employer never reported my wages to the Texas Workforce Commission...

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 07:35 PM PDT

    I absolutely need the unemployment benefits as soon as possible, but it's basically impossible to get anyone on the phone at TWC because their lines are so busy and they dont give you the option to wait on hold.

    Is there anyone I can contact in Texas that can help expedite this for me? I really don't give a shit about prosecuting my employer (was probably an honest mistake, who knows) I just would like to have my unemployment benefits.

    submitted by /u/longhairedthrowawa
    [link] [comments]

    [OH] Sorority owned apartment evicting tenants in 48 hours.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    Hello reddit! I'm posting on behalf of a friend who received a message:

    Ladies, I've just received an update from House Corp and Executive Office. All XXX members are being told to go home. This is now also being applied to the apartments. They are saying everyone needs to be heading home in less than 48 hours. I'm sorry to share this news with all of you. Please reach out individually with questions and concerns and I will follow up as quickly as possible.

    Tenants are being told to be completely moved out and they recommend removing furniture before the lease ends. The apartment is not associated with the university as a dorm would be.

    Does she have 30 days to move out? Is she able to receive money back for an early lease termination? Thank you in advance. I have a copy of the lease without any identifying information.

    submitted by /u/LivewireCK
    [link] [comments]

    Signed lease on a new place but landlord changed our move-in date because current tenants aren't leaving yet.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:39 AM PDT

    So I live in GA, and my wife and I are supposed to be moving into a new place at the beginning of April. We have put in our 40-day notice with our current housing office, and have already signed the lease, paid the security deposit, and first months rent on our new place.

    The current tenants of the new place are military and were using the military clause to get out of the lease early, as they are PCSing. Well, with the COVID-19 pandemic going on the military decided to freeze the current tenants' PCS, so they won't be moving for some undetermined amount of time.

    The landlord of the new place has told us that we can't move in at the beginning of April now because the current tenants will still be there, even though we have signed the lease and paid deposits. Can they do that? Is there anything that we should be aware of? Thank you so much!!

    submitted by /u/sanguinus11
    [link] [comments]

    My university just told us that we are to be out of our dorms by tomorrow night due to the coronavirus. Can we really get kicked out on 1 days notice?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    We have 24 hours to get everything packed, shipped, and fly home? This is California at a public university. Do we not have tenants rights?

    submitted by /u/bshutki
    [link] [comments]

    NY- grandmother’s doctor has prescribed her Ambien for 30 years. Is this negligence?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 01:55 PM PDT

    NY- my grandmother's doctor has been prescribing her Ambien for 30 years, as she is addicted to it. Now, suddenly, they are recommending she gets off of it because it could be detrimental to her health. You aren't supposed to take Ambien for more than 10 days in a row, and as I said my grandmother has been on it for 30 years. She has tried to quit cold turkey and was awake for 4 consecutive days until she finally took a pill, in tears, and was able to sleep. I haven't pried too much so I really don't know too many specifics but I'm wondering if this could be considered negligence on the part of the doctor, considering they continued to prescribe the Ambien for literal decades.

    EDIT- we're not looking to sue or anything like that. I just want to know if this is considered normal, because it feels very, very wrong.

    submitted by /u/skagusi
    [link] [comments]

    UT, HR stating the employee is allowed to tell no one if they test positive for COVID-19?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 02:27 PM PDT

    I just received an email from my employer stating that as employees, if we are tested positive, then we are not allowed to tell anyone except 1 individual in HR. We can't tell our managers, our coworkers, no exceptions. They state it is to protect our health information.

    I can understand if our managers weren't allowed to share this info but why, as an employee, would I be threatened not to tell anyone else? If I share on Facebook, and my coworkers see it, am I in trouble legally? Are they allowed to forbid us from sharing our own health information?

    submitted by /u/Ddrrjones
    [link] [comments]

    Brother got arrested, used my name.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    Hi, my older brother (we're both 21+) got pulled over by California Highway Patrol and didn't have ID. He told the cop my name and information and somehow got arrested ( I think he really pissed off the cop, or was high on meth or both... )

    When my brother was released a few months ago, he lied to me and said it was all good and that the judge just re-assigned him to the correct name and I had nothing to worry about.

    About a week ago I learned that I cannot drive for Uber because I failed my background check. So I pulled my records from the DMV and now I have on MY driving record the following :

    - Operating Motor Vehicle without CA License in Posession (date of his arrest and car he was driving, a car I have never seen or drove)

    - an FTA ( Failure to Appear for a court appearance )

    My main question is obviously, how can I fix this? I thought they would fingerprint him at the station and see his true identity and not involve me in any of this?

    Thank you for your time and help.

    Quick Emotional Rant ( Not Neccesary To Read) : This is stressing me out so bad that I can't even sleep. I have a spine fracture injury from roofing when I was 26. So Uber deliveries and driving is what gets me by nowdays. Spending time in LA county jail trying to explain all of this to a judge would be uncomfortable to say the least. I dont feel like sleeping on concrete with titanium bars & screws already in my spine. And I really can't bring my self to file a police report on my own brother even though that's probably the only way to handle this

    submitted by /u/West-Listen
    [link] [comments]

    Misreported Taxable Income (small business)

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 08:28 PM PDT

    I am part of a small 2-person company. Both of us are officers in said company, but the other person is the company owner/majority shareholder and pays my salary. I just got my W-2 for 2019, and it only has 1/3 of my total income for the year reported on it. My boss has been paying my salary out of their pocket instead of the company coffers, because they kept forgetting to run payroll and this was the only way they could pay me on time. I was checking with them to ensure that everything was being reported to the IRS, but that apparently did not happen. Boss is claiming that only having the 1/3 reported is fine, since I'm an 'officer' of the company and I didn't need to take my salary. My income every year prior to this has been reported to its fullest. My job status has not changed. I am not classified as an independent contractor. My boss' only response has been a promise to "do it differently next year"; they are refusing to adjust it for 2019.

    Is only 1/3 of my total income being reported 'fine,' as my boss insists?
    Does being an officer of a company means I don't need to take pay?
    Is getting paid directly by my boss (out of their pocket) instead of by the company still taxable?
    How can I ensure I won't be penalized if my boss refuses to fix things?

    submitted by /u/WaywardTaxTotal
    [link] [comments]

    Lost job due to CV, can't pay rent

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:18 PM PDT

    Hi, I am one of the many waiters nationwide to be laid off for an undisclosed amount of time. I'm also a college student, so working part time is about all I can do. I'm worried about being able to pay rent now. I called my realtor and they basically told me unless the government mandates it, I either pay or get evicted. I obviously don't want to me evicted but it's a small town and most places are cutting back on workers, not hiring more. I've started looking for a new job in the meantime and contacted my university's SLS, although I don't know if they're even open still. Any advice would be helpful, I just want out at this point. My room has flooded twice since we've lived here, they keep blaming the gutters. The room was falsely advertised (had carpet during walkthrough) and it has an unlevel concrete floor that's painted with flat paint so it peels. The list goes on. If you need any info, feel free to ask for it, thank you!

    submitted by /u/Aelsar2
    [link] [comments]

    Company is using my vacation time to back-pay hour shortages due to COVID-19 scares

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    I work in events and today I was sent a company-wide email stating that, effective March 9th (8 days ago, per time of writing) the company would be taking 100% of my accrued and future accrued paid time off to supplement hours due to business shortage. Because many events are cancelling, and I am an hourly employee in an at-will state, my hours are being cut. I have been told that as a full-time employee, I am guaranteed 32 hours per week minimum.

    My question here is can my company take the paid time off I was promised for the foreseeable future and apply it so that I can hit the hour minimum they promised me? Furthermore, can they back-fill my hours from the last week without my consent? As far as I can tell, there is no way to opt out, it is automatic.

    submitted by /u/punsabound
    [link] [comments]

    Bit by roommates dog while carrying my daughter (Oh)

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 11:03 AM PDT

    My upstairs roommate in a double has a pitbull that they leave on a leash unattended outside. Everyday when I come home I have to walk behind the house instead of the main entrance due to having been bit before. This dog is aggressive, mean and not taken care of very well. I've said something to just take him inside when I get home but the dog is unattended every day so this isnt working. I pulled in today and did not see the dog outside and I was carrying my daughter in her carseat. The dog ran up onme and started biting my sweater. I couldn't get out of it without dropping my daughter so I ripped the part of the sweater he had locked on to and started running. Both of us could have been seriously hurt and I was assaulted. I want the dog off the property. There is no landlord. It is owned by my wife's family and we use the bottom half

    submitted by /u/throwaway1234577777
    [link] [comments]

    [USA] I believe I was wrongly denied the ability to purchase a firearm.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    I recently attempted to purchase a rifle but got a denial on the NICS background check. I do have one criminal conviction that I believed could be the reason but I am not so sure. The form specifically asks if you have been convicted of any felony or of any misdemeanor that has the potential for a sentence exceeding one year.

    In 2015 I was plead guilty to misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance in federal court. I looked at the sentencing guidelines for a class A federal misdemeanor and saw that the maximum was UP TO one year. The firearms form specifies felonies or misdemeanors with a sentence of OVER one year so I feel like this would not prevent me from buying.

    I filled out the request to get the reason for the denial and sure enough it said that the reason is that if you have been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor with a sentence exceeding one year you aren't eligible.

    So I am not sure really what is correct here. I could go and get certified court papers to show them the maximum penalty but I feel like maybe I am misunderstanding something.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Edit: Sorry I'm in Vermont I didn't think it would matter since it is 100% federal.

    submitted by /u/gunthrowaway987654
    [link] [comments]

    TX, office staff entering apartment to deliver packages without notice or even notifying me

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    Due to new health concerns, my apartment complex has recently implemented a new policy that packages will be delivered directly to the apartment instead of the residents going to the main office to pick up the packages. I did not know they even implemented this policy until I noticed a package I did not pick up sitting on my apartment counter. They must have entered my apartment and dropped off the package without even notifying me they came in. The only notification I got was from their system saying my package has been "picked up" from the main office, which is an automated system they use.

    I am definitely not okay with this, especially during this time. I don't know what they touched, who they are, or how many other apartments they have been to before going into mine.

    Here is the wording given in my lease regarding entry:

    Operator and its agents, employees and contractors may enter any apartment and bedroom space to perform routine maintenance, inspections, showings and other ordinary functions, provided that Operator will provide advance notice to residents of an apartment before such entry. Operator reserves the right to enter an apartment and any bedroom space without prior notice in an emergency maintenance situation.

    Is there anything I can do to stop them from coming into my apartment when I am not home?

    submitted by /u/SneakerSoup
    [link] [comments]

    Deceased mother continues to receive mailings, causing major emotional distress to her husband of 26 years. Is this Harassment?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    My mother used to travel as a chaperone with a company. When she was diagnosed with cancer (over 5 years ago) she called and told them she would no longer be traveling. When she died (3 years ago) I called and requested she be removed from their mailing list and explained the situation. My father still continues to receive mailings in her name from them, which spirals him into a terrible depression each time. He has called numerous times, sobbing and begging them to stop sending letters. I have called 4 times demanding they stop. He received another mailing today. These aren't just junk mail, it's a personal letter giving her travel info and asking her to join the trip. Just their logo on the envelope turns my father into an emotional wreck. Isn't this harassment? How do I make them stop?

    submitted by /u/LlamaRoo5
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment