• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 1, 2020

    Legal Advice - My ex girlfriend moved out of our apt in December and said that she will sue me if I move out

    Legal Advice - My ex girlfriend moved out of our apt in December and said that she will sue me if I move out


    My ex girlfriend moved out of our apt in December and said that she will sue me if I move out

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 12:12 PM PST

    My now ex girlfriend whom was living with me in different homes since 2017 broke up with me in December and moved in with her parents. We moved into our current apt in March 2019.

    She told me she would be removing her name from the lease. The landlord said they would discuss it. I neglected to follow up with my landlord and apparently she's been on the lease since. The lease is over in Aug.

    She keeps coming back. Originally it was to remove her stuff. She said she'd give me the keys when she was done. All her stuff and even some of the shared stuff of ours she took and is gone. She never gave me back the keys. She would often show up randomly over the last few months and refuse to leave. I was also told I am not allowed to change the locks.

    I got a recent opportunity to pursue a dream and move to Europe, and I told my ex that I think I will do it. She started freaking out and stated she is taking me to civil court because, According to her, I will be financially screwing her over.

    She also sent a long text to my landlord about it whom texted me and asked me what is going on and if I want to remove her from the lease and that I need to put the old locks back on the door (I never changed them).

    Can she sue me for moving out?

    submitted by /u/BlackoutRetro
    [link] [comments]

    [Ca] We just rented a house out, and found out that they are TWEAKERS. They have not signed a lease yet or moved in. My sister says we have to accept them or we can be sued. Please help!!

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 02:26 PM PST

    They were the first people to look at the home. I instantly could tell that they were drug addicts. The management company we hired said that we needed to get someone in ASAP (I agreed), and they said we needed those people to move in. I said NO, I do not want them living in my property. The people were moving so fast and talking so fast, and talking about knocking down walls and cutting down trees (I let them know that if they moved in, none of that was allowed). I talked to my sister that night (who knows a lot about real estate), and she says that the law (at least in California), states that you HAVE to approve the first qualified applicants that come along, and that you CANNOT deny them for any reason (or else you can get into legal trouble or be sued). She said that if we legally wanted to deny them, we would have to lie and say that we showed it to other people first and say that they got it and not them. PLEASE HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I do not want these men and women renting my house. The management company already had them sign something (without my consent) although they have NOT signed a lease yet. Please help!!!!!!

    submitted by /u/93skittles93
    [link] [comments]

    My baby has suffered severe brain damage as a result of meningitis diagnosed too late. She was seen by 4 physicians. One being her PC Dr. who rushed us back to the ER only to be sent home again. (WA)

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 10:43 PM PST

    My 5 month old was brought to urgent care Feb 15th because her temp reached 102 during the night. Tylenol brought it down for hours. The Dr. sent us home with Tylenol. By Monday morning her temp was reaching 104 a few hours after Tylenol wore off. Tylenol was still working though. We brought her to the ER Mon. Feb 17th. They swabbed her and did a chest X-ray. She was diagnosed with RSV and bronchiolitis. Her lungs sounded perfect, her oxygen was at 100, she didn't have a cough or snot, no trouble breathing. We were sent home with Tylenol and told to get her checked on Wednesday Feb. 19th with baby's Dr. Her temp was going down with Tylenol and staying down for a few hours all day Tuesday. We were told this was normal for RSV at the ER despite showing no other symptoms of the RSV affecting her body. We brought her to our clinic to see her Dr. in the morning on Wed. Feb 15th her temp got up to 104 that morning before we arrived but the tylenol brought it down to 100 by the time we arrived at the clinic. Her dr. was concerned, she thought something was wrong yet they didn't have the facilities to do any testing she rushed us to the ER and sent notes and called them to let them know we were coming. The ER was busy when we arrived. We were triaged then seen in the lobby. The dr asked us what our Dr was worried about and said she didn't see any of those things. She said that she would look at the notes our dr sent and she told us that despite showing no symptoms of the RSV besides the fever that it was in fact the RSV that was making her temp spike. She never came back, a nurse administered Tylenol and let us know we can wait and have her temp checked again. We did. Her temp was going down. We were sent home. Wednesday night was the same. Throughout the night I noticed baby was getting fussier and having difficulties eating (breastfed) by Thursday morning Feb. 20th I decided that the ER Drs must have missed something and that I was done trusting them we were going to drive back to the ER. I checked baby's soft spot before we got in the car to find that it was bulging. We called an ambulance and were rushed back to the ER. Baby looked at me for the last time as the gurney was rolled into the ER and started having her first seizure. From that point on it is a blur. We are still in the PICU. They thought the Meningitis was textbook and normal and we were sent back to the normal pediatric floor for one night and her seizures started again by the time the MRI was done she had already suffered a severe brain injury. I don't know if it's important to note that we live an hour away from the ER and they were aware of that when treating us. That's why we decided to call the ambulance instead of drive ourselves on Thursday.

    submitted by /u/Lululubba2019
    [link] [comments]

    CPS is trying to get my friend killed.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 06:57 AM PST

    Location: Ohio. My best friend is a minor (as am I.) she is an upperclassmen in high school, and for as long as she can remember, there has been abuse at home. She has never known her mother, and lives with her father, over 18 brother, and grandmother. They all contribute to abusing her in any way imaginable. She has not been ready to come forward about it for some time. She told my mother and I about it over 3 years ago. We encouraged her to come forward about it, but if she wasn't ready, to just gather as much evidence as possible. She has videos, pictures (one of when her brother was maliciously choking her), recordings, everything. She was finally ready to make her statement on a recent Friday. After four long hours, the caseworker on duty at the time had told her to stay with us for the weekend, because she told them her father would kill her if she went home. The following Monday, her permanent caseworker had come to the decision to put her back into the home, because of school. The caseworker was supposed to be there when we dropped her off at home. She was going to ask her if she could stay with another friend (we do not live in the same county). The caseworker never came, so she had to go into her house. The caseworker is trying to make this an open and shut case. They have thrown out every bit of evidence my friend has given authorities and the first caseworker. They are taking only her father's words into consideration. My friend had called her caseworker multiple times during open hours before we dropped her off at her house, saying that she fears for her life. The caseworker never answered. They are now trying to spin this as my friend is troubled because her mother left her at a young age. They are going to try to medicate her. She has been talking to her school counselor, and they want to help in any way possible, but there's only so much to be done if CPS does not want to do their job. My question is, what is our/my friends next step? The overall goal is to get her to live with my mother and I. Is CPS doing anything illegal we could file a lawsuit for? Would the legal system be less likely to allow her to stay with my mother and I because we are in another county? Will they even do anything given her age? We are so lost as to what to do next. ••• Thank you for the award! ••• Edit: many are telling me to contact CPS. If CPS is already involved and are NOT doing their job, what would that do? Would that assign her a new caseworker, (possibly) make them take the case more seriously, or anything else? I am also being told about the child abuse hotline. What would/could they do? It is truly seeming like CPS is working against my friend, and we don't think that asking them for help will really do anything.

    submitted by /u/nanamaribooth
    [link] [comments]

    My manager set an attendance policy in place that feels incredibly wrong.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 09:39 AM PST

    I'm not unionized but the best category I could think of was labor law. Edit** this was fixed by a very kind moderator. Mobile so I'm sorry for the formatting.

    The other day I called out of my shift, albeit a little late, at work because I wasn't feeling well. I never call out and there was somebody to cover me so this really shouldn't have been an issue. However, the day I returned I found an attendance policy posted on the wall that was signed by two out of my four managers, that my general manager had put up.

    The attendance policy stated some normal things about immediate termination for no call/no show, but past that it is incredibly shady.

    It states that "anyone who calls out of their shift without a physicians note or shows up late will be paid minimum wage with NO gratuities (tips) added to their paycheck for that pay period."

    Addressing the paycheck thing, we work for minimum wage plus tips. We make $9.5 an hour with tips. The regular minimum wage is higher (11.5). When I confronted my manager he told me that he was referring to the 9.5 tipped wage in the policy, and that he would remove all tips. Call me out if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is highly illegal. You cannot remove a workers tips if you're not making up for the difference, also all of that tip money would be going directly to him. (probably around $100 a week)

    As for the doctors note thing, in Colorado, as far as I am aware, you do not need a doctor's note unless you have been absent for three consecutive days.

    I have loved this job for the amount of time I've been here, however, it is the restaurant business and I'm maybe one wrong look away from quitting. I don't know what to do, and I'd like some advice on how to approach this situation.

    UPDATE: after some deliberating I'm going to wait for my next paycheck. If he docks pay like hes threatening to (I called out the other day and am going to intentionally show up a little late the next few days to see if he really does it,) I am going to take photo evidence of my clockouts and paycheck stub, record my conversation with him (after finding out about our handy single party consent laws) and call the DoL ~ after that call im going to put in my two weeks. He verbally admitted to me today during my shift that it's a legal gray area- but lied about it being within his legal rights and also lied about how the area manager responded to it. To me that means he's aware of what he's doing and also lying about the policy to employees. I spoke to 2/3 my assistant managers today and they both agreed that they didn't want to sign or advocate for it as it was more than a "legal grey area" So shady.

    submitted by /u/EliRayne
    [link] [comments]

    As a conservator can I charge a large sum of rent to my father's girlfriend? [San Jose, CA]

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 04:39 PM PST

    My father had a stroke 2 months ago. Hes still mentally fried (literally insane, delusional, and non verbal) I was just recently granted to be his conservator.

    His girlfriend/fiance/religiously married wife (lawyer- confirmed no legal basis) who lives with him has been an absolute horror for 2 months. From trying to figure out how she could marry him while hes unconscious, to trying to get my aunt to contest the conservatorship by lying Im trying to take his money away, to showing up to the hospital and pretending to be his wife when we explicitly banned and told her not to show up. Shes insane.

    We are waiting for the stamped paperwork next week and hence I havent done much. I am aware that evictions take a long time 60 + days. My attorney mentioned in the beginning , as a conservator you could charge residents of the house rent. As of now, as his girlfriend, she has obviously not been paying any rent.

    Is it possible to set the rent as something absurd? Like 5 k a month? - Yes I will ask my attorney this question on Monday

    submitted by /u/atlantaoonana
    [link] [comments]

    Brothers girlfriend is a paralegal and posts on Snapchat various documents of clients information

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 07:11 AM PST

    The title kinda explains the bulk of the situation. My brothers girlfriend works for a law firm as a paralegal and deals with various documents of people like house titles and what not.

    She tends to post on her Snapchat quite frequently bits and pieces of documents she's working with making comments about someone's wealth and other personal information.

    Recently she sent a snap to my sister a picture of a document related to my great grandma and her son, my uncle. My mom has seen the image and is wondering what the legal repercussions of this are and is the image evidence enough for legal action?

    Edit: the bot said location is important, this is in North Carolina

    submitted by /u/SonicBJP
    [link] [comments]

    Estranged father passed away, he owned several residential properties and left it all to me. I am way over my head here and i have no idea how to handle this.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 01:25 PM PST

    Me and my father have been estranged for around 5 years, i wanted to go to university and study engineering, instead he wanted me to help him manage his various investments/properties. We had a very bad falling out due to that and some other issues. I ended up moving to BC for university, while he stayed in Ontario.

    Three weeks ago he passed away suddenly from a stroke, and last week i was informed that he had willed everything to me. I was given a bunch of information and paperwork by the estate lawyer, who then more or less showed me the door, and told me i needed to contact my fathers "business" lawyer for information regarding the business.

    Said person says he hasn't worked with my father in over 4+ years, and seemed to imply there was some sort of bad blood, and didn't seem to want to help me.

    Our house is a mess, and his office is just boxes of random paperwork. I was able to get in touch with the landlord of one of the buildings my father owns who then put me in touch with the "operations coordinator", i explained the situation however he just said he handled organization and maintenance of the properties, and everything was done through my father. He is also quite upset as apparently no one is being paid right now??

    I contacted my universities legal services, who said this was way over their head and told me to find a law firm for businesses locally. The law firm i met on Thursday asked me a dozen+ questions (i didn't have answers for anything) during the 30 minute consultation, then recommended that i go back to estate lawyer and get answers. Estate lawyer has not responded to any of my calls.

    I feel like i am going to have a mental breakdown and i don't know how to handle this, it is way beyond my knowledge and understanding.

    Furthermore I am in my final year of university and supposed to graduate in June, i have an excellent job lined up for me on the condition i graduate. Can i unmake this my responsibility?

    submitted by /u/LegalQuestion2891
    [link] [comments]

    (Georgia, USA) Someone fixed my roof and four different companies are billing me.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 03:27 PM PST

    See title. Some wind damage occurred to my roof, so I called around and got some prices from four different roofing companies. They all agreed to come take a look but I never signed any sort of contract.

    My wife came home and noticed the gate to the backyard was open so she went back there and the roof was fixed. No note was left, neither of us received an email or phone call or text letting us know it was done.

    Fast forward a few days and now I have bills from four different places all claiming they did the job. I do not have any surveillance cameras on my property.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to whom I need to call or speak to? I really can't afford 4 roofs.

    submitted by /u/ClintonWeathershed
    [link] [comments]

    Woman adopting animals just to surrender them to SPCA

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 11:57 PM PST

    I'm a volunteer at a local SPCA, and I've been dealing with a young woman in her mid 20s surrendering an excessive amount of dogs to our location here in central PA. She has already been added to our DNA list (Do Not Adopt) due to issues in the past with not taking care of animals.

    After she became a face I recognized I looked her up on FB and found out she is consistently adopting dogs from people trying to rehome their pets only to surrender them sometimes hours after getting them.

    Yesterday, she came in to surrender a young male pit bull, less than a year old, for "behavior issues" because he peed in the house. After spinning some bullshit story about how the dog was "obviously abused" because he peed in the house, she didn't want him anymore. After we accepted the dog, I did some digging on FB and found that she drove 2 1/2 hours out of town to get the dog, and surrendered him less than 12 hours later.

    She is consistently screwing dogs out of a real home by adopting them (even when other people show interest in taking them to make a part of their family) just to turn around and surrender them. I'm not talking once or twice, she has done this more than 20 times in the last six months. I don't understand at all what she is getting out of this. I have exhausted everything I can do from the SPCAs perspective. I've put her name on the DNA list and shared this information with the other local SPCAs, but now that she is traveling hours away to continue this behavior, I don't know what else I can do. Is there anything I can report to the police in this situation? Or is she not breaking any laws?

    submitted by /u/Eye_See_Red666
    [link] [comments]

    Wrongful Parking Ticket, Now Told I have "Exhausted My Appeal Opportunities" - Philadelphia, PA

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 08:16 AM PST

    Almost a year ago, I paid my meter and went to a doctor's appointment. I took a picture of the meter for my own reference. The metadata shows the time I took the photo. My after-visit summary has the time I left my appointment (~20 minutes before the meter expired). I came back to find that I had been ticketed for not paying my meter only minutes after I left. I felt that I had strong evidence for the ticket being wrongfully given, so I immediately appealed with my evidence through the Parking Authority website.

    I heard nothing for months. I then received a letter saying that my appeal had been rejected due to insufficient evidence. I was given the option of asking to appeal in court. I was pretty ticked off at this point and requested the court date. I figured that the ticket would be waived if the officer didn't show. And if he did show, I had strong evidence in my favor.

    More months passed. I got a letter from the city the other day. I figured it was my hearing date. Instead, the letter says I never showed up for my appeal hearing and after "careful evaluation" of the evidence, they found that I still need to pay the ticket! I never got any letter or call about an appeal hearing date, which I find quite interesting. I had no problems receiving their other letters, but the one with the hearing date somehow disappeared? Very interesting.

    The letter states that I have "exhausted my appeal opportunities with the City's adjudicatory process". I can file with the Philadelphia Court of Common pleas by presenting the letter to the Office of Judicial Records.

    My questions are: 1) Has anyone done this? If so, what is the process? I tried reading other parking ticket issues people in this city have had but did not find a similar situation. 2) Does this letter have to be presented in person? 3) And what other legal options do I have at this point, if any?

    The ticket is not a huge amount, but I wanted to get it dismissed despite the time sink. I am livid at this point. It's the principle of the matter. I did nothing wrong. I paid the meter and now I have to pay for this undeserved parking ticket? I feel like the city is scamming people out of money since they know it makes more sense to pay it than fight it.

    submitted by /u/PhillyPhrustrated
    [link] [comments]

    My mother’s holding me trapped!

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 07:53 AM PST

    I'm about to turn 17 and my adopted mother kicked me out. And now I'm living with a friend. I haven't done drivers Ed and it's all payed for but my adopted mother will not give me my SSC or a copy of my date of my birth certificate. You need be able to have all that in order to do drivers ed. What are my rights at seventeen to get what I need without getting emancipated and being adopted?

    submitted by /u/AreoD
    [link] [comments]

    Changing my phone number so ex husband can't contact me with 50/50 custody? He keeps sending threatening texts

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 04:05 PM PST

    Our custody agreement says I must notify him if I change my phone number, address or employment. (Re-reading this agreement he's routinely broken many of these just over the past 2 months.)

    The specific wording of the agreement is: "The parties are obligated to notify the other party of any change of address or telephone numbers, as well as any change in employment."

    I have the kids half of the week and he has them for half of the week. I'd be happy communicating in a civil way about the children.

    Unfortunately he has my phone number and keeps sending me threats, not outright illegal threats but just a constant barrage of unpleasant, insulting text messages, completely unprovoked. I've wittled our interaction down to a few seconds when he drops the children off because he would call me names in front of them. He still does this and when I don't respond it makes him angrier. The texts are getting to me so I want to change my phone number and I've told him to download a co-parenting app where we can communicate only about the kids and have it all logged. I've tried the "don't respond no matter what unless it's relevant to the children" tactic for about 6 months solid now and he's still sending disgusting text messages to me randomly, so I want to change my phone number so he doesn't have it.

    I want to communicate only through that app about the kids and nothing else. But it seems the agreement is telling me to notify him of any phone number change. But it's worded in a way that says "notify them if you change your number" it doesn't state that I have to give my new number. Could I get in trouble if I change my number and tell him to only communicate through a co-parenting app?

    I know people might say to just ignore the horrible texts but that isn't really practical when some of them are bordering on threats and he's even started telling lies about the children in these texts and TO the children about me. He told my son that I was going to kidnap him and take him away to another country. Of course he came to my home screaming crying, completely traumatized asking me why I was going to do that to him.

    So when I get a weird lie in text about our son that's accusing me of things that never happened with a chance that he's going to traumatize him over these lies I'm not sure whether to respond or not because the guy is a literal idiot. And I know I'm bound to say this but there's text proof (and I've started to record every one of our interactions) that I haven't said a single negative thing to him yet get this constant barrage of negative insulting texts. I just want everything logged in this co-parenting app. I also know that if we use this app he won't send any of this crap again because it seems more official. So would I be okay changing my number given the wording above? I'm from Pennsylvania.

    submitted by /u/TheFilthyPixels
    [link] [comments]

    (MT) My girlfriend received a bill after simply inquiring into an online school.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 07:35 PM PST

    So about 6 months ago my girlfriend started looking into the possibility of going back to school to get a second degree/masters degree. While perusing through options she a found a program through a legitimate University with a brick and motor campus that is in a near by state. This university required her to "apply" before she could get a price on what courses would cost. This application was simply just making an account and giving her name and address. All she did after the application was click on courses to see the cost. After realizing it was not financially possible at the time she decided to not go any further and had not logged onto the account since. Fast forward to last week and she gets a bill in the mail from this University for $2000. So apparently her giving them her name and address and her clicking on the course to see what it would cost was enough to enroll her? We went back and looked through her email and found an email from 5 months ago stating she was enrolled and would be billed. Obviously she should have caught the email but as soon as you give any of these schools any interest they spam the crap out of you. So she simply just ignored anymore correspondence from them. This just seems extremely predatory. She never took any classes or anything and only logged onto the account she made once. Is there anything we can do or is she actually obligated to pay that back now? We certainly don't need it going to collections... Any help would be great, thanks.

    (Not including the name of the school as I'm not sure that's against the rules or not)

    submitted by /u/OG_Lurker
    [link] [comments]

    My mom is going scorched earth and trying to take away my kids.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 07:43 PM PST

    My mom has had some kind of alcohol induced mental break, and is suddenly blaming me for all the problems in her life, including my sister not talking to her due to her previous boyfriend molesting my niece, when she was four, saying I made this situation up, and am "evil".

    We are in North Carolina.

    Now, a bit of backstory, my children and I have been through hell. Abusive ex husband came to an agreement I would never move out of the state in exchange for primary custody. I had an exam the day we had court and he said he would draw up documents. He took primary custody for himself saying he didn't know where I was. I fought for over two and a half years while my lawyer gauged me. Finally, he got a DWI with the kids in the car, went to jail and I got emergency custody.

    My mom is aware of all of this, and how painful it is. She is furious I have told her she needs help for her drinking and is relentlessly leaving me messages. Somehow she got my new number. She is harassing me, telling me I'm going to get what's coming to me and she's going to have my children taken from me, and may now be working with my ex husband to have my children removed.

    I am a good mother, the house is dirty sometimes but I'm a federal employee and support the children, never hurt them, and they are well fed, have improved in school and regularly receive medical and dental care. I am not perfect but my home is safe and they have the things they need. I am full of anxiety. I don't know what to do and how to protect us. I have blocked her for now. There is nothing I can do that's not going to anger her. I am scared they will come back to the house and upset the kids. My mom has become completely unhinged.

    submitted by /u/megocaaa
    [link] [comments]

    Sold my car in November, new owner apparently hasn't transferred the title. Just got a text from him saying it's been towed and they are apparently charging in my name. WA.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 01:51 PM PST

    I sold my car to a buyer for $450 cash. We had a bill of sale written out (handwritten, but we both signed it), and I went online to the DOL and reported the sale.

    Now I have a text from the buyer saying it's been towed and are charging in my name. He said he'd pay for everything but needs me to take it out.

    This isn't my car anymore. But as far as I can tell, he never went and got it registered. I do NOT want to get involved in this; it's not my car, and it's not my fault he got it towed.

    But am I going to get a bill from whatever towing company took the car? Am I in danger of anything happening to me?

    submitted by /u/MaddKat94
    [link] [comments]

    Former Employer sent an account under my name to a debt collector for money they never paid and tanked my credit score

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 05:46 AM PST

    Please help, I am at my wit's end.

    I enrolled in a class at an local uni in Fall 2018 and I intended to use my tuition benefit from my former employer to pay for it. I completed all of the paperwork and saw the fine print that basically provided all of the terms and conditions for the benefit, including that you have to stay with the company for one year following disbursement of the funds, otherwise you have to pay the money for the benefit back to them.

    Long story short, I ended up dropping the class (within the allotted 2 week add drop period) and didn't think anything of it. This would be September 2018. I ended up leaving my former company in January of 2019 and, of course, they attempted to garnish my wages in my last paycheck for some of the tuition benefit amount. It took a few hours of calling around to resolve this issue. I called the uni and confirmed that 1. I was never charged for the class (because I dropped it) and 2. They never processed (nor had they ever received) payment from my former employer for it. I took that back to my former employer and the apologetically wrote me a check for the garnished wages. All is well.

    Fast forward to the new year and I'm getting phone calls from people claiming to be debt collectors - calling from "credit management company." They leave non-descript voicemails, never saying who they're calling for so I assume that they're scammers trying to steal my identity and ignore them. I keep a very close eye on all of my debts and I am up to date on all of my payments with an "exceptional" payment history so I was pretty certain they were fraudulent. They were not.

    A couple of days ago, I get a notification that my Experian credit score has changed. I check and see that it has dropped 61 points over night. I also see that a "delinquent" account has appeared on my credit from the very same "credit management company" that had been calling. The descriptor for the account was "Tuition Benefit" from my old employer for the exact amount of the class I would have taken in the Fall of 2018. The account was apparently opened in December of 2019.

    I do have plans to call all parties involved, the uni, my former employer and the debt collectors but if anyone has any advice about this, I'd be glad to hear it.

    submitted by /u/cyren-
    [link] [comments]

    Trapped in a Real Estate Deal That Will Most Likely Force Us Into Homelessness

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 05:34 PM PST

    My husband and I recently put in an offer on a house in Alabama for $185,000. The seller's realtor shot us a counter offer saying that the seller owed more than that on the house and $207,000 was as low as he could go. We still found that price acceptable and we signed a contract to buy.

    I endes up googking the seller when his name showed up in the paperwork... and well, he is in prison and his father is handling the sale of his estate. He raped and molested a family friend's daughter repeatedly over the course of 2 years (from the ages of 5 to 7) and when the girl came forward and the police seized his phone, they also found THOUSANDS of photos of child pornography and several videos as well.

    Commence the heebie jeebies! I wanted to back out of the deal immediately, because ewww but my husband and I decided we would make the best of it.

    BUT THEN when our realtor did the title search, we found out that the house has a $174,000 lien on it and it is for restitution owed to the victim. We want to be done with this house, there is no possible way they will be able to get that lien removed in the next 2 weeks (they have until the closing date which is March 6th and then 5 business days after to get it off the title or the deal falls through). But we don't want to wait for all that, our lease is up on March 15th and our rental company doesn't do month to month, we need to find a new house and fast but we can't put an offer in until we are released from this current contract.

    Despite MULTIPLE attempts to send a release of contract form (even one offering for them to keep our $1000 earnest money) the seller, his realtor and his lawyer REFUSE to release us. They claim they were unaware there was a lien on the house (which is untrue), they claim the lien isn't supposed to be on the house at all and they claim they can and will have the lien removed within their alloted time frame. We are being held hostage.

    From everything I have read, there are multiple channels that have to be gone through to have a lien like this removed and they include but are not limited to negotiating with the victim's family to take a lesser amount than what they are owed in restitution (The seller owes $160,000 on the mortgage, we are purchasing the home for $207,000 and so they are hoping to get the victim's family to take the almost $50,000 the seller would be making in profit as restitution rather than the $174,000 they are owed) and if the family were to agree to that, it would also have to go before a judge. I just don't see that happening within the next 2 weeks. But here we are...

    Our time line is completely messed up, we have no idea where we are going to live after our lease is up on the 15th and we are basically being held hostage in a contract for a house we no longer want.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for what we can do to terminate this contract (other than waiting out the time)?

    The seller, realtor and lawyer are lying that they didn't know about the lien, otherwise they wouldn't have denied our initial offer of $185,000 saying that the seller owed more than that on the house... cause he only owes $160,000 on the house. They purposely lied to get more money out of us to try and have enough to give the victim's family a small payoff of the restitution owed. But how can we prove that? They are ibviously trying to sell this house under false pretenses and didn't disclose the lien...

    We are afraid what will happen is that we will have to wait out the time period they have to remove the lien and then find ourselves on the 13th of March with no house bc they can't remove it and then our lease ends on the 15th and we have nowhere to go...

    submitted by /u/JadaFresh
    [link] [comments]

    (TX) House co-owned by my mother and uncle (80/20%). Uncle just died. What claim does my uncle’s daughter have to the house or it’s contents?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 08:18 PM PST

    Uncle's daughter was estranged until the medical examiner was wheeling him out, then she showed up asking for house keys, muttering "get that b*tch out of my house," speaking of my mother. Then she started going through dead uncle's pills to see what she could scavenge. She found a set of keys and ran off, saying that she WILL he going through her dad's things on her own watch, not under the supervision of my mother.

    How should this go? Do we change locks? What would she have to do to gain lawful access? We're currently living in the house and want to keep the peace through everything.

    Thanks so much for your insight.

    submitted by /u/Olivia-Fucking-Pope
    [link] [comments]

    Father died after receiving poor care in skilled nursing facility (TN)

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 09:08 PM PST

    My father was diagnosed with cancer in November of 2019, it was lung cancer and a tumor on his spine that took away his ability to walk. He had the spinal tumor surgically removed in December and was transferred to an in-patient rehabilitation facility to learn to walk again shortly after Christmas. He was on chemotherapy and expected to do well.

    The rehabilitation center was not taking proper care of him. He was left in his own feces for hours on end, a tech using the lift machine dropped him onto the floor (he just had spinal surgery) and he had bedsores. After he was dropped onto the floor I got in touch with the social worker at the facility and she assured me things would change. I flew down to Nashville from New York on January 24th for a week to see everything in person.

    After sleeping on a cot in his room and meeting the nurses and social worker, my father and I decided it would be ok for him to stay another month. Although several people (nurse practitioner, physical therapist) told us that he would be better off if he transferred anywhere else, staff were all on such good behavior that they fooled us into thinking he would be safe there. I came back to New York on January 30th.

    I was having trouble reaching him on 2/4, but the nurse assured me he was just tired from chemo. I called the morning of 2/5 and the nurse said he didn't look good and they were going to have the nurse practitioner check him out. A few hours later they called back and said they'd be sending him to the emergency room.

    My father died on 2/8 from an infection that came from his PICC line. The ICU nurse said she saw several signs of neglect upon admittance. He had bandages on his legs dated 2 days prior (they were supposed to be changed daily), two bedsores on his backside and the state of his PICC line showed improper care. I know my father would still be here today if he had been anywhere else for his care. He was only 57 and wanted to fight.

    I have started to call lawyers to see what my options are. Last week I finally spoke to the funeral home and they told me that the cause of death listed on his death certificate is lung cancer. Several doctors in the ICU told me it was sepsis that caused his death. I fear that because the cause of death is listed as cancer this will make it impossible to get my father any kind of justice. Is there a way to have the cause of death changed? Do I have any type of case against this facility?

    Thank you in advance for any information.

    submitted by /u/Short-Web
    [link] [comments]

    (NY) Received green card then got fired shortly after

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 04:03 PM PST

    I am currently in NY and I worked for this company for about 5 years. 2- 3 months after receiving the Green Card 2019, I was laid off. As I plan to apply for a citizenship, I am afraid that the short employment time after getting the green card might cause an issue. Will it be red flagged? And if so, what can be done or what can I do?

    submitted by /u/laurehyuna
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors dog won't stfu

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 08:43 PM PST

    I have a neighbor whose dog is loud enough to wake me up and will bark at night and very early in the mornong for hours. I live in Nevada. What are my options? I don't want the poor doggo to get hurt but... I mean jesus christ shut the fuck up.

    submitted by /u/Deezl-Vegas
    [link] [comments]

    Mass Layoffs - Employer promised furlough status to avoid severance, then immediately revoked.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 01:54 PM PST

    [Colorado]

    Hello, my Wife's employer recently went through mass layoffs and the shutdown of an entire department. the employer told all affected employees that they would be Furloughed rather than laid off, because it would help them receive unemployment more easily and also reflected the company's position that they did intend to rehire them once the company was financially able to.

    When you're furloughed, unemployment benefits do not require that you do 5 job activities a week to remain eligible (for up to 16 weeks). But this also means that employers do not need to offer severance.

    However within 2 weeks of her no longer being employed, they sent a letter stating the withdrawal of being "job attached", thereby revoking her furlough status, and changing her requirements for unemployment.

    Our primary concern is that very few people were given any severance as a result of them being furloughed. My wife and her dozens of coworkers we're actually just "laid off", but the company was able to avoid any severance discussion due to misdirecting everyone to a false "furlough" promise.

    A little research lead me to the "WARN Act", which basically says that during mass layoffs, a 100+ employee companies must give 60 days notice to those affected, and if they fail to do so must instead pay out severance. They did not give any notice, and the end result of their actions just means that they really just laid off ~30 people without severance.

    Is her status technically just "laid off"? Is there any recourse for the actions of the company? Are we entitled to severance? If any clarifications are needed I'd be happy to provide more information. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/blooblahguy
    [link] [comments]

    “Is this legally Binding”

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 07:22 PM PST

    Hi, I am 15 years old,live in NY and i had recently signed a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) Which was about keeping company methods and secrets, if i had broken this Agreement, My boss would be able to take 1.5k in cash or take 1.5K or up to 2 thousand dollars in cash worth of house hold or property items. But here is the thing, my boss is a "Friend" and he is also fifteen.

    I don't really know to much about contracts nor NDA's but he apparently has a contract with this company that works with him so that he is able to use his method. The NDA also states that this agreement even after i am fired will continue on for 10 years. He has given me his "Dad's Lawyer" and i had called but the Lawyer did not sound to professional. His lawyer had an odd phone number from California and recently i tried to call back the Lawyer and no answer so i'm thinking it might have been a setup just to get me to sign the contract.

    My boss had also told me that it was either i signed it or he fired me. (He had given me 4 days to read it and it was 4 pages long) Also my parent's were not there and they did not sign it as well as a part of the agreement. I think my boss might have taken this "NDA" off Reddit and just scribbled some stuff on it. If i can get any sort of legal advice or anything It would greatly be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/KWSmallEyes
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment