• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 14, 2020

    Legal Advice - Being asked by my aunt to break into my uncle's hard drive while he is currently getting help, receiving treatment, and being deprogrammed from a cult. He had paranoid delusions that the FBI were after him. They want to find out what he was actually into and see if they need to be worried about that

    Legal Advice - Being asked by my aunt to break into my uncle's hard drive while he is currently getting help, receiving treatment, and being deprogrammed from a cult. He had paranoid delusions that the FBI were after him. They want to find out what he was actually into and see if they need to be worried about that


    Being asked by my aunt to break into my uncle's hard drive while he is currently getting help, receiving treatment, and being deprogrammed from a cult. He had paranoid delusions that the FBI were after him. They want to find out what he was actually into and see if they need to be worried about that

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 09:41 AM PDT

    Obvious temporary account here,

    My uncle was deeply involved with an online political conspiracy known by a single letter. He ballooned up to 600+ pounds, and spent literally all his time on his computer he had in his room. Before he was recently confronted with an intervention by the family, towards the end he was watching the street and pointing at vans, acting suspicious that there were listening bugs all around, and that a shadow cabal within the FBI had him on a most wanted list. Generally suspicious behavior all the time regarding being legally in trouble and the government was after him.

    Now my uncle is getting help. He willingly agreed to go to a program to help bring him back to reality and show him what it has done to him his family. It is not against his will, he agreed that his life was out of control and was having difficulty telling reality from fiction. Part of this program involves being totally cut off for the first month. No contact with anyone.

    My aunt reached out to me (the resident computer geek/hacker/etc in the family) to help find what he was actually into. I am certain I have the skills to get in, as I have done this before. Trouble is, whenever I have done this before it was at the behest of the owner willingly handing me their hard drive because they forgot a password or something and wanted some files. One time I got a hard drive from a parent whose child had died and they didn't know the child's password, but they knew that the computer had videos and pictures on it as the child was a hobbyist amateur video editor and they wanted those files. I have always been asked to break into the hard drive by either the owner, or by someone who inherited the computer after the owner had died. This time I am being asked by the spouse to break into their husband's computer to see if the paranoid delusions about the FBI wanting him were purely delusional, or if he was actually into some illegal stuff.

    Questions part 1)

    What are the legal complications here? What if my uncle suddenly decides that, no, it's not a cult and it's real and we're part of this shadow cabal and he's going to fight the family? Since the aunt and uncle are married, since the aunt asked me to do this is that considered the owner? Is the ask by my aunt enough of an ownership to actually break in to the hard drive within the confines of the law?

    Questions part 2)

    I'm assuming based on the knowledge of the websites surrounding where this conspiracy cult operates online, that there is at least the possibility that I will find something illegal, such as illicit pictures or maybe instructions on how to build a destructive device or something? I'm not saying that's definitely the case, but a real possibility. It might even just be browser cached images that he didn't personally view, but knowing the sites, I'm just saying that's a very real possibility.

    • I know that I'm a mandatory reporter of that kind of stuff. So who would I contact? Local FBI?
    • Should I broach that with my Aunt before I break in to the hard drive? That if I find illegal stuff my hands will be tied and I will need to involve the authorities?
    • Should I have her sign a form of some sort? What should that form say?

    Edit: located in USA. Michigan.

    submitted by /u/sharklasers_anon
    [link] [comments]

    Ex Wife is refusing to let me see my children because of concerns about Covid-19.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I live in Oregon, where my ex-wife is refusing to let me see my children during time that the court has ordered to allow me to have them. She is concerned that I have Covid because of a cough I have. She also has had a cough for a while, but in her case it is supposedly nothing to worry about. She is saying she is allowed to protect the kids as a "medical decision". She is extremely paranoid about Covid and has expressed concerns to me that it will "mutate" and become dangerous to our children. What do I do to see my kids? Can I get the police involved or do I need to work this through the courts? They are ages 3 and 6, schools are closed, and they are cooped up with their mother...

    submitted by /u/joker757
    [link] [comments]

    I think my Father's fiance committed tax fraud

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 06:58 PM PDT

    Posting a question after getting advice from an AITA post here.

    In a nutshell, I contacted my Father's fiance this morning asking if she had received my Father's W-2. I told her I needed so I could file his taxes. She tells me that it's already been taken care of and to not worry about it.

    After some poking and prodding, this is what I know based on what she told me. She told my sister about doing his taxes and that she was "aware". She also told me that she (the fiance) filed taxes and received a refund. I don't know how much was received but he died in July so I'm assuming all of 2019.

    I am the sole representative of the estate (I have the document with the court seal).

    I would like advice about the following:

    1. Because neither the fiance nor my sister are representatives of the estate, is it possible that they could file my Father's end of life taxes?
    2. If it isn't possible, and we know that either they both filed taxes or just the fiance, then they would have done so fraudulently...what should I do?
    3. What does it mean if they or she committed tax fraud and kept the money?

    I am 100% ready and willing to take this to where it needs to go, I just want to get as much advice as I can about it before moving forward.

    At the current moment neither the fiance nor my sister are talking to me and all messages received go unanswered.

    Edit: I'm located in Seattle but he died in Florida. Fiance lives there as well.

    submitted by /u/AlmightyRockwood
    [link] [comments]

    My manager warned my workplace harasser while I was reporting him to HR

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    I'm in Canada, full time employee in a leadership role. It was not a sexual harrassment claim.

    This is the kind of guy who, in front of other leaders, berates his only team member. Who stands at the top of the stair case and whistles at the front desk women to get them to look up at him before he yells instructions and walks away. This guy has been hounding me after every ticket sent in, and as far as me and the aforementioned manager could tell, I was following the process to a T. That he would stop me in the hall to berate me over approved requests finally got to me, so I took it past manager (after months of complaints) and went to HR. As I had been telling him for weeks that if this didn't change, I would do just that, I let him know what I was up to.

    While I'm there, he sends me a message over our chat program that he's talked with the individual and would like to talk. We talk, and it's littlerally that he is now going to be the contact point for that person, and he won't be engaging us at all. Not that there's a forthcoming apology or that there's been a misunderstanding. I let him know that if he did apologize, just as I told HR, I would cancel the report. That didn't happen, hr investigated, and we didn't see him for a couple weeks.

    All that said. My manager went to the harasser to warn him of an impending hr complaint. This happened last month, and I've been silently fuming since then. Other issues have snowballed, and I'm no longer interested in being silent.

    What is the recommended course here? HR doesn't seem like a valid path anymore.

    submitted by /u/User15962
    [link] [comments]

    A cop is trying to contact me because they filed the wrong citation, HELP!

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 11:23 AM PDT

    So the cop gave me a citation with a court date of 3/6. I showed up to court that day but was told the ticket was never filed. On 3/11, the cop tried to contact me saying he gave me the wrong citation.

    What are my options? What should I do? Please any help is appreciated.

    I've never been in any trouble so this is very scary for me. Thank you for the help.

    UPDATE: Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll just get a lawyer.

    submitted by /u/IIxXIAOxII
    [link] [comments]

    New neighbors moved into Habitat for Humanity house next door yesterday; today they came over to request our permission to start building a fence - TODAY. (IN)

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    Family literally just signed papers for the house yesterday, and they came over just a few minutes ago to ask if it's okay for them to put up a fence between our houses, starting TODAY. We said we don't know where exactly the property line is, but we've been planning to get estimates for a fence soon ourselves. The woman said it's her father who wants to start it right now and suggested that they just build exactly between our houses. We're in an urban area with narrow lots, so there's not a lot of room to spare.

    Another wrinkle is that they seem to have immigrated from another country and English is not their first language, and maybe there are some cultural differences re: personal property. We want to be on good terms and welcoming toward our new neighbors, but we're at a loss for how to respond to this sudden, kinda-huge request.

    submitted by /u/alexandertushkin
    [link] [comments]

    Company cancelled ADA accommodation because worker has been there a over a year "and needs to go through FMLA"

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 05:04 PM PDT

    My roommate works from home for a tech help call center. He is recently diagnosed as diabetic and needs to use the restroom more times a day than is possible in the allotted amount of breaks.

    He got a doctor's note and requested an ADA accomadation for more bathroom breaks during his shift. Eventually his immediate supervisor gives him a final warning for taking 3 minutes of extra break time. He informed him that he had an ADA accomadation regarding this issue, and his boss said his ADA case was closed because he is eligible for FMLA now, and he needs to go through that process.

    They are making access to the FMLA program very difficult, but that isn't the only thing fishy about this situation to me. Does FMLA preclude ADA? That doesn't sound right to me... Is FMLA even designed to be used for 1-2 minute breaks? Or would he have to take the rest of the shift off every time he goes over his allotted breaks? Limiting employee access to use the bathroom doesn't seem right to me either. I used to work in management, and we would never attempt to play around with government mandated leave and accomadations like this...

    Edit: So sorry! I'm constantly on this sub and I forget the location... Las Vegas, NV

    submitted by /u/Toohotto
    [link] [comments]

    [MD] I was given money in a scholarship, spent it on college as instructed, and then they rescinded a portion of it and want me to pay up.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    I am one of the first to receive the promise scholarship where if you qualify, they'll pay for your college tuition & fees.

    I was selected and awarded the amount for Fall 2019 which was $1923.00 and it said that same amount will be used for Spring 2020. I register for my classes, the award was immediately applied, and I got an email from my college's financial aid office saying some was left over so I could use it towards textbooks. So I used that amount ($206) and was able to cover a good chunk of my textbook cost.

    The semester is over halfway done, and I receive an email from the financial aid office saying I owe that $206 and it's overdue. I reply saying that's covered by my scholarship and I have an email from them to prove it.

    Fast forward a week of no response from them and I get a response saying that I was awarded $1717 for this semester. This was a completely separate email chain and no mention of the $206. Though if you do the math, the difference between what I was originally awarded and what I'm now being awarded is exactly $206.

    I don't understand how I was told I had $1923 for this semester, used most of it for this semesters classes, and the rest for this semesters textbooks, and I'm not notified that apparently I didn't actually have that money. The semester is more than halfway over and I don't have the money to pay back that advance due to medical issues.

    Funny thing is they sent the last email 40 minutes ago and when I go to call their office they're conveniently not there.

    submitted by /u/katthepandaa
    [link] [comments]

    (NYC) My partner is being hounded by their roommate's sister over hypothetical COVID-19 exposure

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    I returned to New York from a trip to Europe (not Italy) on Friday 3/13 and stayed overnight at my partner's apartment, where they live with their roommate, Millie, before continuing on to Philadelphia.

    Today, while on the train to Philadelphia, my partner received a text message from Millie's sister, who is a lawyer. The message was long, so I'll do my best to summarize the main points:

    • Millie has Asthma, and is at increased risk for harmful effects from COVID.
    • Therefore, Millie's sister asked that we (me and my partner) vacate the NYC apartment, where my partner pays rent, entirely for the next two weeks (presumably staying in Philly).
    • Millie's sister informed us that, should anything happen to Millie, she would "hold us legally responsible."

    The last one is the one I'm interested in hearing more about. To me this seems like a vacuous threat, but I'm also not knowledgeable on the law here. Is this worth talking to a lawyer about?

    submitted by /u/FearandirPericles
    [link] [comments]

    Daycare closed but wants us to pay

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    I received a text message from the owner of my son's daycare basically saying if they close that we will still have to pay tuition. Here's the text:

    I'm sorry I did not address this is our last update: I've had several parents ask this question. In the event that we have to close, is tuition still due? The answer is yes. Your tuition is a yearly tuition broken down to weekly payments. This is to guarantee your child's spot for when we reopen. I'm hoping it doesn't come down to us having to close. We know that a lot of our parents can not work from home so we want to still be able to provide for you guys like any other day. Praying all our families stay healthy throughout this time!

    Andy Beshear has made an statement suggesting that all daycares be ready to close within 72 hours.

    In the state of Kentucky, can she still require us to pay for a service we're not receiving due to a state of emergency or is this illegal?

    submitted by /u/Wendylovesisaac
    [link] [comments]

    Roommates’ Father constantly leaving dog with me

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 07:18 PM PDT

    I have recently been finding myself in a very awkward position. I have two roommates who are brothers.

    Recently their father has been leaving his dog at our house for periods of time ranging from a couple hours to over 12.

    Based on our schedules, one recurring problem I have is I find myself alone with the dog. The dog is very old and obedient and really isn't a problem behaviour wise.

    I work 12 hour shifts, days and night, and when I'm alone with the dog it whines when it's alone, and I can't sleep due to the volume. I've tried going out and telling it to stop or letting it in the room with me but it still whines and I'm unable to sleep.

    Their dad is impossible to get in touch with and lies about when he's coming to get the dog. My roommates are also at work and any family friend of theirs lives out of town.

    My question I guess is where and how can I take this dog in a manner that absolves me of any sort of responsibility and follow up. I'm looking to get the dog out of the house and back home to sleep.

    In this scenario have I undertaken some legal responsibilities? Their father is aware of this problem but continues to push it. What can I do?

    Would leaving the dog outside alone be considered abuse on my part? Their dad is a bit of a scumbag and I wouldn't be surprised if he sued me.

    Any advice is appreciated.

    Two ideas I've had are calling the non emergency line of the Ontario Police, or the local SPCA but the SPCA hours are restricted. I live in Ontario, Canada .

    submitted by /u/stonedGosard
    [link] [comments]

    General Manager keeps scheduling hours outside of availability [CA]

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    As the title states, I work for a well known fast food chain restaurant and would like to know what I can do about this. This general manager was given specific availability hours in paper from several coworkers but still likes to schedule people outside of their availability. For no reason at all simply just because they CAN do it and it's for THEIR convenience. I can't simply just talk to them about this because they are in charge of the store and are highly valued by other people above their pay grade. My question is what can I do about this? Can I leave if scheduled outside of my hours? Do I take this to HR? A coworker of mine has kids to go home to but can't due to the scheduling from this general manager. How can they prioritize their kids without losing their job?

    submitted by /u/pineappletamales
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbour came into my apartment

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 05:07 PM PDT

    I live in Quebec and own an condo in a undivided co-ownership. My relationship with one of the neighbours has always been a bit strained. She is, to put it bluntly, an intrusive busy body with too much time on her hands after retiring from the municipal civil service.

    The building has a set of rules describing the rights and responsibilities of all the owners. There is a position of "property manager". This is essentially a volunteer position concerned with collecting money from everyone a couple of times a year to pay joint bills. However, this woman takes this position very seriously and signs all her emails as "property manager"....

    Anyways, we were having some windows replaced and she needed access to my apartment. No problem, I moved furniture to give her access. However, the workers cancelled twice. The second time, I get an email from her saying that the work is rescheduled for Thursday or Friday. However, on Tuesday night, she sends an email to my SO (who she knows is out of town in Florida) at 8pm, sayings that the work is Wednesday (with no time specified). The email it promptly forwarded, but I don't see it.

    Wednesday 7:15 rolls around and I wake up to my dog barking his head off and growling. I rush out, and she is in my apartment (she has a key) with two workers. I am naked except for boxers and she starts yelling at me for not having prepared the place and for the dog being out of his cage. I decide not to escalate, put the dog away and go to work.

    I write her an email explaining that her conduct was problematic on many fronts. That 11 hours is not enough notice (especially by email to someone she knows isn't there), that she should have made more of an effort to wake me up by calling me or ringing the doorbell more. In addition, since this wasn't the first time that she had walked into my place, I would like my key back since I could no longer trust her to respect my privacy.

    She writes a long email back which essentially tells me to go fuck myself. She says it's my responsibility to check my emails (I was asleep by 8 as I was on call all weekend and was exhausted), that she had rung the doorbell once and it was my fault for not waking up, that the rules of the association gave her the right as property manager to enter my condo and that I was obligated to provide a key.

    Seeing that this argument would get me nowhere, I had the locks changed.

    Where should I go from here? On one hand, she is right that I am obligated to provide a key under the rules that I agreed to. On the other, I don't trust her with a key to my home.

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/hands-solooo
    [link] [comments]

    2 men from a foreign country have taken control of my parents lives.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 06:02 PM PDT

    So I don't know if this is where I should go or where to post this. This placed seemed reasonable. My parents are really struggling right now. It all started when my mom was blocked from her Facebook business and personal page. And she can't make a new account or post anything because those are deleted and or blocked. She figured out it was 2 guys from a foreign country who have control of her account. And tonight I learned they have control of everything, bank account, credit card, mortgage. We don't know if they've spent any money, or what they're going to do. But we can lose the house or much worse. This isn't a good situation and they don't know what to do. Neither do I. I'll answer questions, anything for an answer or ideas on what to do right now. Thankyou for taking the time to read this. Update: I kept trying to get my mom to contact the bank, she said the hackers can't do much because she is a valued person at the bank and has fraud protection. And she's changing all the passwords. How FAR will that REALLY go though?

    submitted by /u/Ezmaze
    [link] [comments]

    Campus Worker Laid Off due to coronavirus

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 07:18 PM PDT

    I work for an university as a graduate assistant under residence life. Due to the Coronavirus, almost all of the residence life staff (except 3 full time people) has been laid off because the university kicked the students out. We are expected to work the next two weeks, find another job, and find other housing by March 30th. Our contract states that this is a yearly contract ending May 31st, 2020. I'm not sure how this is legal, but would I be eligible for unemployment? I don't work hourly, because I get paid a monthly stripend while the university also pays for my grad school, housing, and meal plan. I live in Texas if that helps.

    submitted by /u/miissjackie
    [link] [comments]

    Probate Lawyer cashed a Check made to the Estate (MI)

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    My father died last year in Michigan and I was named personal rep for the estate. Since I am in California I hired a lawyer in Michigan to help me navigate the probate process. This has proven to be the biggest headache.

    Some items were sold from my fathers home that I approved. They were guns I could not transport across state lines and the family friend then wrote a check to the estate per my instructions. She dropped it off at the lawyers office.

    The lawyer proceeded to cash it. Had I not asked about it I don't know that he would have volunteered that info. He then tried to tell me it was made out to him, a fact that was pretty easy to prove wrong. Then his story became that it went in with a bunch of checks and the bank did not catch it. He now avoids me and has filed a motion to withdraw as counsel. I would have fired him already but I really just wanted to get through this ordeal.

    It's pretty serious for a lawyer to cash a check that was not made out to him and then lie to me, right? I just wanted a sanity check before I go postal on him.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/allsWrite
    [link] [comments]

    I work at a hospital and I think we are spreading covid-19 through the kitchen due to negligence

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    We were informed by the higher ups that regarding our covid 19 isolation patients, all food must be sent in disposable containers. This way everything can be disposed of in a biohazard waste bin, and you don't have to risk contaminating your staff in the dish room, or any place else or someone might come into contact with a sick person's dirty dishes.

    it was shortly after we got this direction from the higher-ups that the managers of the kitchen realized we didn't have enough disposable containers to fulfill the demand. They've made the decision to prioritize certain patients over others as to who gets the disposable trays (the specific item we are low on).

    The decision they've made is that patients in the psych ward and patients in the emergency room should take priority over covid 19 patients. we were informed not to send disposable trays into covid 19 patient rooms, despite the fact that they are in isolation.

    the result of this is that the covid 19 patient trays (when they are done eating) end up getting collected and put on a cart with all the other dirty dishes and sent down to the dish room. The dishwashers don't have any way of knowing which tray comes from where, and they haven't been given any special equipment or instructions to handle it. Literally all they have are plastic gloves (which, when I poked my head back there, they weren't using). I'm not sure if anybody has even had a talk with them about the precarious position they are in, I.e they don't even know.

    To compound the situation, the hospitals boiler went out yesterday, so the dish machine they're sending all those dirty trays through... it's only using cold water. Granted it uses both a detergent and a sanitizer, but the machine itself was designed with those redundancies to ensure decontamination for a reason. if it's not using water above 165 degrees then it's not really killing much of anything that isn't in direct contact with the detergent or the sanitizer. the machine itself routinely fails to remove solid matter from the dishes and they need to be sent through multiple times, and that's when it's working properly.

    So from there these trays are then recycled into the kitchen, handled by all sorts of employees with and without gloves and used to send more food either up to other patient rooms, or simply set in the cafeteria for guests and staff to use. When I brought up my concerns to management and tried to spell out what they could be doing, I was met with a mixture of indifference and concern that told me if I liked my job I should stop asking questions.

    We're supposed to get more disposable trays in on Monday, but that leaves all day tomorrow, and we've got just shy of 100 infected trays coming back every meal... Plus snacks

    I'm scared and I don't know what to do. I want to put pressure on the situation and make my supervisors ensure public safety and that of our staff, but I can't do that in anyway directly that also leaves me with a job. I do not trust HR at the place I work. Should I call the local paper? Contact the CDC? Please help

    A note to moderators: if this isn't the right place for this or if I broke some rules somehow, please let me know where I can look for this advice, or what I did wrong. This post is 100% true so please

    submitted by /u/watchpeoplebedead
    [link] [comments]

    My Grandpas roommate has stuff stored on my mother's property and she wants it out.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    So I just recently got thrown into this situation and dont know every detail, but I can quickly get an answer to any questions if they arise.

    My mom's property has a garage on it and my grandpa's roommate has been storing some possessions in it. She's been telling my grandfather and his roommate for a couple months now to clear it out and that she doesnt want them going up to the garage anymore.

    He has no written agreement to use the space. Can we just remove his property ourselves since it's on my mom's property and he has no written agreement to be allowed to use the space?

    I live in North Carolina if that changes anything.

    submitted by /u/camdawg54
    [link] [comments]

    My great aunt secretly took my grandma to the hospital and didn't tell my family. Now she's trying to put her in a nursing home. Do we have any legal recourse to take control?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 06:50 PM PDT

    We are in TN. My grandma had a falling out with me and my mom abt 5 months ago. My grandma was pretty textbook abusive, but we'd been her caregivers up until that point when she forced us to back off.

    She has a sister (my great aunt) who loves to swoop in and try to take control of my grandmas money and accounts. She wants to have control of all the money and make all the decisions, while my mom and I do all the actual work of taking care of my grandma. A couple of days ago, we tried to call my grandma at home, but didn't get an answer. Turns out she was in the hospital, and my great aunt had taken her. She also apparently signed her own name on all my grandma's papers, and didn't inform the hospital that my mom (my grandmas only daughter) and i even existed.

    My great aunt also didn't bother to tell us that my grandma was hospitalized, and tried to keep it secret from us when we found out. Now, the hospital is recommending that my grandma be put into a nursing home because they believe she has dementia, and my great aunt is handling all the affairs related to that.

    We dont know if my grandma has a living will, but I seriously doubt that she does. The same goes for power of attorney. I know my grandma likely won't allow anyone to take care of her in her home, so the nursing home may actually be the only option for her at this point, but we want to have a say in where she goes and how soon she'll go there.

    Is there anything my mom and I can do to take back control from my aunt, so that we can be sure she gets adequate care and she isn't tossed into a nursing home prematurely?

    submitted by /u/amberinas
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal to sell a t-shirt with another company's name as a parody?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 01:21 PM PDT

    I live in the US (Missouri).

    I want to create and sell a t-shirt based on the name of a current company. For example, if there was a company that sold boats named Yakit and I wanted to make a t-shirt that said "The S.S. Yakit". Would that be illegal, or would it be considered a parody and therefore protected?

    submitted by /u/AceOfRhombus
    [link] [comments]

    Please help, I can’t afford to lose this much money.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    I filed for unemployment in October 2019. I voluntarily quit my job due to my direct manager harassing and bullying me. I was approved for unemployment benefits and JUST received in the mail a hearing because my previous employer is filing for an appeal. If I lose I have to pay them over $16,000 back. I obviously don't have that kind of money.

    I literally have no proof except the conversations I remember having with my previous managers higher up and a few conversations I had with HR. I have a letter I sent in the the department of labor when I initially applied explaining the issues and giving examples of the bullying/harassing behavior but that's literally it. I know it was incredibly stupid of me not to keep a log of all the issues I had but I was not thinking. My previous manager was fired a couple months after I quit, the company was building a case against him after multiple complaints from people throughout the company and a sexual harassment accusation, which I'm hoping accounts for something in my favor. When I gave my notice over the phone to his manager, he let me know my manager would not be working there much longer but unfortunately couldn't give me an exact date of release because they are a corporate company and had to make sure they had all their ducks in a row before letting him go. He told me he understands I couldn't wait around as it could be weeks or could be months before he is released from his position.

    Now, I'm super stressed out because I have a hearing in a couple weeks (on the phone) and if I lose I literally owe over $16,000 for what unemployment paid me. I don't know what to do. How can they send me an appeal when I am almost done with unemployment?? Does anyone have any advice for me?

    Edit: In CT if it helps

    submitted by /u/help_no_usernames
    [link] [comments]

    [MO & KS] I won in small claims court, but...

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 04:54 PM PDT

    Not surprisingly, defendant is not answering calls/messages to pay up. I'm forced to turn to paycheck garnishment to collect now.

    We both live in the [MO] county where the car accident and court case happened. But, the defendant works in a neighboring state [KS]. Just found out that I have to file for garnishment in [KS] courts and the new costs are $100's in fees. I didn't win a lot, so don't want to take the hit.

    Anyone know if I'm able to petition the [MO] judge to revise the awarded amount to cover these new [KS] court costs?

    submitted by /u/no-palabras
    [link] [comments]

    Should I sign a lease & pay rent 2.5 months before move-in?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    I live in a highly expensive and competitive neighborhood in a major metro. It's hard to find good rentals, particularly houses, so my family and I have been renting a small apartment for three years. Recently, my partner and I found a house for rent in our neighborhood for an actual reasonable rate, which just rarely happens.

    Last weekend, we met the landlord at the property. He said we couldn't do the walkthrough that day because the current tenants weren't feeling well, and also he'd prefer to show us without them being there, which seemed reasonable, so he showed us around the outside of the house instead. He also gave us a copy of the rental app to fill out, and let us read through the lease. He said that we could go ahead and pay one month's rent, reserve the house, and the home would be move-in ready June 1, contingent upon the other tenants being able to close on the house they are buying.

    Today we toured the inside of the home, sans tenants. It was weird that I never saw him put a key in the door...but hey. Maybe he doesn't keep an extra key to the home. It seems legit enough. He seems like a nice dude. But also...he could be trying to scam us over like a three month period and for all we know be using a burner phone and fake email and when it gets time to move in the suddenly becomes unavailable. So what I wanna know is -- are there any legal protections against this if I sign this lease and pay him now? TIA

    submitted by /u/quirkypasta
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor keeps putting trash on my car

    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    I have a neighbor who shares the same townhouse as me. Lately, he has been picking up trash around our property and lodging them between my car's windshield wiper. I guess this was his way of telling me to pick up my trash. The issue is that I have always picked up my trash and the trash he lodged onto my car is blown here from elsewhere. He did this multiple times early in the morning and I have camera footage of him doing this. I confronted him today and he remains defensive, saying I am a bad neighbor who doesn't pick up trash, etc. Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior? I tried talking to him, but he is unreasonable.

    Location: Seattle, WA

    submitted by /u/battleFrogg3r
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment