• Breaking News

    Monday, December 16, 2019

    Legal Advice - (UT) A deputy showed up at our door yesterday and attempted to arrest my wife only based on her name

    Legal Advice - (UT) A deputy showed up at our door yesterday and attempted to arrest my wife only based on her name


    (UT) A deputy showed up at our door yesterday and attempted to arrest my wife only based on her name

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 12:16 PM PST

    The deputy knocked on the door, my wife answered. They asked her name, she told them, and they asked her to step outside. She declined because she wasn't wearing shoes. He said "OK, we will do this inside then", and stepped in the door. He told her that he was there to arrest her. She's never even had so much as a parking ticket in her life. She protested that she had done nothing wrong, and that she had a common name. Finally they agreed to let her get her ID. After examining it, they went and looked up the birthday of their suspect and found that they were indeed different, so they left.

    I'm upset that this happened. If she had stepped outside, they would have likely arrested her on the spot, she did not have her phone, and I would have had no idea what had happened to her. I would like to file whatever complaints I can, and ideally find the judge who signed the warrant to complain how poorly the deputies did in trying to arrest the correct person. Any advice for the best next steps?

    submitted by /u/gillyboatbruff
    [link] [comments]

    (TX) Employer assigned overtime, those with children allowed to be excused but those without have to come in or be penalized.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 03:30 AM PST

    Exactly like the title says, employer is assigning 6 day work weeks but those with children are allowed to not come in without penalty and allowed to call in and those without children are expected to be there or be penalized. I imagine this doesn't fall under workplace discrimination but it sure seems like it should?

    submitted by /u/girlthatmakesglaze
    [link] [comments]

    [GA] Hospital called my parents to tell them about my sensitive upcoming appointment. I am 26, married, and haven't lived in that house for 8 years. Is this any kind of HIPAA violation?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 04:27 PM PST

    I am 26F and having my first mammogram tomorrow. (I recently found a mass and have an extensive family history of breast cancer.) On top of already being worried about the mass and this totally new medical procedure, my mom just called me in total freak out mode because she got a message on her home phone from XYZ Breast Care Center reminding her about my upcoming appointment. You only go there at age 26 if something is wrong, and she assumed the worst.

    I am absolutely livid. I purposely decided NOT to tell my mom about the mass until I had some kind of idea of what it is. It is more than likely not a big deal, and I genuinely did not want to worry her. (Her cancers were both found around the holidays, so it's too close to home for me to even process properly.) My mom is so hurt that I kept this from her, and this is absolutely not the way I wanted her to find out. This feels like an insane violation of privacy to me.

    When I found the mass, I went through a new doctor who had no past history with me. Connected to a totally different medical network. On my new patient forms, I never authorized my parents to be my emergency contact or have access to my medical information. Just my husband. Obviously I did not provide my parents' home phone number.

    The imaging has to be done at the hospital breast care center, however, and I guess my parents are connected to me in the system because that was the hospital I used as a minor. I am now married, have a new last name, new address, new insurance, haven't been to that hospital since before I left for college 8-9 years ago, etc. In setting up this appointment, all contact went where it was supposed to (to ME). They confirmed my phone number. There was no indication that anyone would need to be calling my parents. Tomorrow morning I can ask why this kind of fuck up was made.

    Is this something I could report as a HIPAA violation even though there was no medical information to give yet (just appointment info)? Should I be filing some kind of internal complaint instead? I want my parents' contact information expunged from my records, and I'm disgusted that someone put my mom through that level of panic.

    submitted by /u/kaevlyn
    [link] [comments]

    Wasn’t payed for babysitting update

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 11:46 AM PST

    original post: I babysat last night for over four hours and my rate is 15 an hour (I live in NJ). There were 3 kids, and when she got home she told me she was exhausted but to send her my venmo. She still hasn't payed me and I just have this feeling that she isn't going to. What can I do if she doesn't?

    UPDATE: I texted her a very nice message asking her to please venmo me on Sunday morning, and she still hasn't. I'm disgusted. I NEEDED that money. There is also something very fishy going on because there's a few different profiles of her on facebook with different names. She also lied to me about her name, or uses two different ones because the profile i found on facebook of her with her kids has a completely different name. My parents don't want me to take it to a small claims court. I'm going to call her tonight, but i'm thinking of blasting her on facebook and warning people not to take her job offers, but I don't want to seem dramatic and crazy to potential parents who need sitters. I'm also afraid she will lie and post something about me. I'm like so upset about this so please i'll take any advice on what to do next, or if anyone can explain to me if charging her in a small claims court will be simple and easy. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/emmamayyy
    [link] [comments]

    I was awarded a judgement in Florida and the defendant has no intention on paying but owns several businesses. What can I do to push him to honor the judgement?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 08:13 PM PST

    I know he has assets and businesses. I was awarded ~$1800 and I want it. Is there anything else I can do?

    It was a small claims case and he had a lawyer. I called his lawyer and emailed him asking if his client had any intent to pay but they won't return my contacts and it's been months.

    submitted by /u/Whit3W0lf
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a right to an "easement of necessity" if the landlocked land parcel was self-inflicted?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 05:39 AM PST

    State: Alabama

    Several years ago a neighbor sold the bulk of his property, retaining a small portion that was "landlocked", i.e. no public road or trail access to it. (Why? I don't know.)

    To the best of our knowledge he never attempted to visit this parcel, not did he contact the owners of any of the adjoining properties to seek access to it.

    He and his wife subsequently passed away, and now an heir is demanding access. Alabama state law does require that an "easement of necessity" be negotiated for landlocked properties; but while researching this I came across a claim that if the property owner landlocks themselves, then that right to an easement is forfeited. I've been unable to independently verify this claim. In all likelihood real estate lawyers will be brought into the picture and could be asked, but I'd like to get an idea whether this is something that needs to be checked into or not.

    submitted by /u/marc-kd
    [link] [comments]

    (CA) family dentist is trying to get me to come in for dental work. Has resorted to sharing my medical information with my parents in order to pressure me into coming back in.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 09:03 AM PST

    I'm unsure if this type of post is allowed. Or where to ask this question.

    I have had Tricare my entire adult life, and I just moved home at the age of 24. I'm under my mothers medical insurance while I find a job that offers medical + dental. I've got some severe damage to me teeth due to a car accident, and the dentist was going to charge me 800$ to fix them. (That's after my insurance). I told them I could not afford it this month and declined the service. They've called everyday since then to get me to come in, and now they're contacting my parents and girlfriend (who is an emergency contact) in order to get me to come in.

    There's no way they're allowed to do this right?

    submitted by /u/BouncingPig
    [link] [comments]

    If I'm summoned to speak at a Grand Jury Investigation, do I have to answer the DA and detective's questions beforehand? [MA]

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 08:06 AM PST

    I was summoned last night to testify before the Grand Jury. I'm here waiting at the DA's office, where I was told to report to. Before the DA speaks to me, I was told they are just waiting for the case detective to arrive, and then 'we'll do all the questioning in the office' I was told.

    I have a feeling the prosecution is trying to corner me and get me to speak before my Grand Jury appearance. Do I have to answer any DA/detective's questions inside his personal office? Do I have the right to remain silent if I haven't been sworn in?

    [Update] Yep, the detective tried to get everything out of me before my appearance. Sneaky bastards. I basically refused all questions and am now awaiting the proper Grand Jury. Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/throwawayruby12
    [link] [comments]

    Mom recieved pickup in divorce. Ex's family stole and hid it then sold it. When the buyer paid it off, my mom was sent the title. Now the bank that gave buyer the loan is coming after my mom. Can she actually get in trouble for keeping the title?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 08:45 PM PST

    Backstory: My mom's very messy divorce landed her ex in jail while he awaits federal trial for sexual abuse of my little sister. My mom was awarded half of all assets in the divorce, including a 2018 Black Ops pickup. While she was across state keeping my sister safe, her ex's family took ALL of her savings and belongings, including everything awarded to her, and either hid or sold it to pay for ex's lawyer fees. She finally has a lawyer working on suing the family over a year later since the courts and police have refused to help. In the meantime, she's been making the monthly payments on the pickup and still owed $30k+.

    About 2 weeks ago she received the title in the mail from the dealership with a letter saying it was paid off. Immediately she went to the DMV to put the pickup in just her name (was in her and ex's, both, previously). She just received a call from a bank this afternoon stating the pickup is not hers since she didn't pay for it and she has to give the title to the "buyer" or face legal action. She explained the situation and the bank was unsympathetic. She then told them all future correspondence needs to go through her lawyer.

    She has been put through hell with the legal system and while is taking appropriate steps with her lawyer, she's terrified this is going to cost her even more money she can't afford and her lawyer works with low income people so can take a while to respond. She's a nervous wreck. Do the "buyer" and bank have any legal ground to stand on against my mom? I would assume the "buyer" would be able to sue ex's family for selling the vehicle without a title right? I have no idea why the bank is getting involved at all...but it is a small town.

    ***Divorce took place in SD. Family took belongings from one of their homes in ND to MT. This is one of the reasons she's had so many issues. Lawyers keep telling her she needs one for every state and the states won't talk to each other.

    submitted by /u/notcreativeshoot
    [link] [comments]

    My mom accidentally input her USCIS immigration number on to a fake website.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 08:30 PM PST

    She wanted to check the status of her application. It just happened to be a phony .org website. She put the A-number, her full name, address, and email address and maybe birthday. I'm extremely worried about her identity being compromised or something happening to her case. What should we do?

    EDIT: Illinois/ USA

    submitted by /u/HiImLost
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor Invoiced 120K more than Quotation :(

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 12:08 PM PST

    Last year I started a small business in Indiana. I rented a warehouse and I needed to upgrade the electrical setup inside so I looked around for contractors and found one from Indianapolis.

    I exclusively deal with Mr A, who works for this big contractor company. All my communication is with Mr. A. I clearly explained the whole project to Mr. A who seemed to understand it clearly at that point. The contractor quoted me total $120,000 for all the installation. It was already expensive that what I budgeted but this was still one of the best quote and I trusted Mr. A.

    So when the work started, there had been some hiccups with the local power company and Mr A told me verbally that they had to purchase a new equipment because of this hiccup which I said go ahead as he told me that it would be another $15,000 extra. All good.

    Few months later, work was finished and Mr A sent me first "partial" invoice for $160000 and then subsequently, total invoice for $240,000. This was out of world. Nowhere near the quotation and I asked Mr. A about this.

    He said, the Quotation was only for "Getting the electrical power in the building" but not the distribution of power inside the building. He also said he "misunderstood" my request. My response was, that I asked quotation for complete project. Only quotation I ever got from Mr. A is for $120K. If at any point, Mr A saw that I am exceeding the budget of initial quotation, I should have been informed with an updated quotation or job proposal. I don't want to told after the work is over that the total is exceeded by freaking $120,000.

    Now I am sitting on this unpaid invoice (I paid $120,000 what I initially budgeted) but there is no way I can pay the rest $120,000 for Mr A's misunderstanding of my project work and his failure of informing me so. I have a recent email from Mr A who says "As you provided information as to what you needed, I regret not being clear about costs. It became a 'design / build' after we had power to the Motor Control Centers."

    What are my legal options here? Ain't all contractors are required to inform a client through an official document/proposal about any change in their quotation, especially if its exceeding by a huge amount like this?

    I still believe Mr A is NOT being greedy here but still he had been being extremely unprofessional about not letting me know about costs or its something he totally failed to foresee. Whatever it is, I would hate to pay for his lack of professionalism.

    Edit - I am absolutely not skipping a lawyer here but its always good to hear a pointer and just be little prepared before lawyer meeting is what I feel. Was just wondering if this kind of operation is standard at all (because I dont think this is right way to operate that one just simply exceeds the quotation by twice and doesn't inform the client)

    submitted by /u/secondid_here
    [link] [comments]

    Can I reverse an adoption as an adult, or at least get my adoptive fathers name off my birth certificate? (OH)

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 05:55 AM PST

    I was legally adopted by my stepfather when I was a teenager. I didn't fully understand the process or what it entailed, no one explained his name would replace my biological father's on my birth certificate until I was in the courtroom and felt like it was too late to back out. I never would have agreed to it. I thought I would just be giving him the same rights to my care as my mother, and releasing my biological father from paying child support, which he wasn't doing anyway. I would like to reverse the whole thing if I can, I can't stand him and he can't stand me, but I don't know how cooperative other parties need to be for that to happen, or if it can happen at all. If it can't, can I at least have his name removed from my birth certificate?

    submitted by /u/elfalt
    [link] [comments]

    Friend's paid off car was repo'd. Repo guy says he was scammed. Who's telling the truth?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 01:40 PM PST

    Couple of years ago, a friend bought a car off a small luxury car repair shop for $30,000. He paid in full. A few months later his car was repo'd.

    Repo guy said my friend was "scammed because the lienholder is XYZ company when he pointed to his paperwork. Look at your DMV Registration card, it's blank. If I were you, I'd file a police report. There's no reason why the car would be paid off and still be repo'd."

    Car repair shop said the paperwork is legitimate.

    Friend pursued civil lawsuit and won but he didn't file a police report for criminal activity. I suspect he's still actively scamming foreigners. There are complains on the internet and car forums about him baiting and switching car parts after the buyers paid for their products. What can I do as a third party in reporting this crime? What can I do to pursue a police report?

    submitted by /u/AnyBathroom6
    [link] [comments]

    (MA) Mortgage company sent us our last mortgage payment back and is claiming we missed a payment and owe double our payment now.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 12:44 PM PST

    my mortgage company sent my last payment back in a check from the bank and included a letter saying that we owe double for a missed payment. We are up to date on our mortgage payment. We went through our financial records to verify. The mortgage company is telling us to cash the check and send both but I am a little weary of cashing an unsolicited check from them and want to make sure I don't wind up with any kind of liability or owe them anything for it. Also, they are saying that our credit is taking a hit for this which seems a bit shady to me. We are likely going to refinance because this company has taken our payment and kicked it back to us in order to make it late, which seems very, very shady. What course of action should I take to protect myself and my home?

    submitted by /u/Homerpaintbucket
    [link] [comments]

    How to stop rezoning of co-owned property?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 09:05 AM PST

    Location: Tennessee, United States

    Hi everyone, I hope you're well.

    My brother, who I am not and have never been on good terms with, and I have recently inherited eight acres of land from our grandfather, who passed in October. Our grandfather's house and barn, which date back to the 1810s, are on the property. Unfortunately my brother and I are co-owners of the property. My brother has plans to demolish both the house and barn and open storage units and a Dollar General on the land. He was in contact with the companies to do this even before our grandfather passed. My brother has already applied to have the property rezoned as commercial. I do not know how he did this without me, as I legally own this land as well. I absolutely cannot allow this to happen to such an important piece of our family's history. The rest of my family, who own all the land bordering this property, are vehemently against it as well. Our community is very rural, historic, and beautiful, and we intend to keep it that way. We have attempted to talk my brother out of this, but he just becomes furious and yells that it's "his land and he can do whatever he wants with it," which is not true. It's mine as well. He is very aware of this fact but seems convinced that he somehow has more authority over the property than I do.

    I understand that I have to submit a written protest against the rezoning, but I do not know when, or who to submit it to, or what to say on it. I do not know how quickly things are moving with the rezoning, as my brother will not communicate with me about it. I do not even know the zoning case number, and he will not tell me. Surely he can't actually do anything without my signature, right? I own 50% of this land. I am worried that my brother will attempt to go behind my back and move this process along somehow.

    I have also heard that owners of the adjacent land (our other family members) can petition against it as well, but honestly I have no idea where to even start. I have no experience with anything like this, and the only time I have ever been in contact with legal officials was while probating my grandfather's will. I am a college student with next to no money and am not really able to afford a lawyer, but to prevent my brother from doing this to our family and community, I will work something out.

    Any advice that anyone could give me regarding how I can best stop the rezoning and everything that would follow would be very, very much appreciated by me and the rest of my family. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/mustyho
    [link] [comments]

    Brother and a friend were cited for unlawful trespass and a court date was set. The citing officer then later contacted them before the court date to say it had moved, but that he would need to meet and re-cite them. Why would this be and what should he do?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 12:13 PM PST

    This is in Vermont, USA.

    TL;DR: Brother and a friend were cited for unlawful trespass, court date was set. Officer contacts them personally to say that the court date is no longer when it was originally scheduled for, and that he'd need to meet them in person to re-cite them and set a new court date. Is this allowed/normal/does this give them an option to challenge something about it? For further details please see post. I think this is technically criminal law but someone let me know if the flair is wrong.

    My brother and a friend of his (both 20 years old) were attempting to hunt Turkey one day near the friend's house. The friend knew of good land that happened to be on National guard property (yes, fenced off and posted). He claims that he'd been doing this most of his life without a problem despite it not being illegal. That day, they parked near the site, hopped the fence, and set off with their firearms. They saw a national guard officer while doing so, realized they were caught, and let him catch up to them as they didn't want to try to evade him. The officer asked what they were doing, etc, and they describe what happened as not understanding that they had trespassed, and the national guard officer seems ready to let them off with a warning. However, before letting them go, he called a fish and game officer in because of the hunting element. This officer was suspicious of their story, and made them show him how they could have not seen the fence. They obviously couldn't do this (there weren't tracks in the snow where they said they had come from). My brother also unfortunately doesn't have a license to hunt in Vermont, so he was ultimately cited for that (a ticket which he's now paid) and he and the friend were ultimately both cited for unlawful trespass (13 V.S.A. § 3705). They were given a court date of December 18th.

    In getting consultations from a few different lawyers, several had commented that it was likely they'd get diversion given their age and the nature of the offense, or that that they'd maybe have to pay a fine. Based on this advice, they were prepared to attend the court date and assume responsibility for what they had done. However--and here's where my main question comes into play--the citing officer contacted them within the last few weeks and said that the court date would no longer be the 18th, and that he'd have to meet them to re-cite them. This obviously aroused suspicion for my brother and me, as I've never heard of someone needing to physically meet the officer again for a second citation to be written. For a court date to be moved is one thing, but it seems odd that the officer would need to meet them unless he had filed paperwork incorrectly or waited too long for it to count or something of that nature. They called the court house, and were told that there was no date ever set for the 18th. They did, however, mention that the officer could still put out a warrant for their arrest if they didn't comply with the summons. The officer also mentioned meeting them in a parking lot/other random public locations instead of at the station or headquarters. All of this seems odd, and so I was hoping to get some advice from someone here.

    Does anyone know what might be going on here? If an officer fails to file paperwork by a certain time, does the infraction still have legal standing? If he needs to set a new court date, why would they possibly need to physically meet him for that to happen? They have no intention of evading the legal system, but it seems an error has been made here and they also don't want to help the officer fix something so that they can be charged again if he did it wrong the first time. Lastly, is there an official process that can be enacted without the help of an attorney that could challenge the way this has been conducted? If necessary they will hire an attorney to keep this off their record, but what appear to be errors in process make me wonder if that's even necessary at this point.

    Thanks in advance for any advice. Please let me know if I can provide other information.

    submitted by /u/thisisanaccount33
    [link] [comments]

    We just got the results back from a lawsuit and realized our attorney never asked for attorney fees

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 06:51 AM PST

    I'm in Indiana, we had 2400 square feet of wood flooring put in our house by a large multi million dollar company. They didn't install the floor correctly and came back 9 different times and glued down many portions of it. The problem with that is it was a floating floor. Now we have huge gaps and a lot of other issues. We tried to settle with this company on having them put a new floor in per NFWA guidelines. Guidelines they say they adhere to on their paperwork and mission statement. They instead wanted the other half of the money we had our attorney set aside in their account for us and an additional 25k in atty fees. (Their paperwork that we signed is clear you pay the other half when you are satisfied). They also leaned our house.
    They (the flooring company) told us, we might win but they would make sure it cost us. They buried our atty in legal motions.

    Fast forward 3 years: We had a three day trial, where even their experts said the installation was bad and the floor needed replaced. Our atty fees ran us 50k

    We requested our attorney ask for attorney fees, but when we got the ruling (we did win) but there was no mention of attorney fees.

    Our attorney never asked and said he couldn't because he couldn't find case law to support it.

    So while our atty's office is high fiving the win, we got 33k for our floors and the filing fee of $150

    We made it clear that we wanted our attorney fees fought for and not once did he say we weren't allowed to. I was under the impression that you could ask the judge for anything, didn't mean you would get it, but you could at least try.

    This verdict did everything this large company was hoping for. They do a bad job and you either live with it or it will cost you way more in court to fight it.

    I don't have a choice but to replace the floors. We have one inch gaps going down our hallways and our house would never pass inspection if we tried to sell it.

    Can someone tell me if what my attorney told me was true?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/kristamhu2121
    [link] [comments]

    Parents threaten to call police on me (20m) if I leave

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 12:57 PM PST

    So, I'm in a bit of hot water with my parents and I've decided that I'm going to stay with a friend. The issue is that they've confiscated my computer in the house and I would like to take that with me. They bought the computer for me as a gift when I entered college. I also have a phone. Would they be able to file a police report if I took the computer and cell phone with me when I left? edit. I live in Cincinnati Ohio if anyone wants to look up local law. My cellphone is gifted too and I'm fine if they shut off the plan. I just want to know if the phone itself is able to be reported as a stolen item.

    submitted by /u/Moon_Filth
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] Someone has my old credit card and ID, and is impersonating me to make PayPal accounts. They’ve compromised my new credit card that they shouldn’t have any access to.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 07:31 AM PST

    A month or two ago I left my ID and credit card sitting in a club bathroom by mistake. Someone stole it and promptly tried to buy gas, doordash, and so on, but I locked the card as soon as it went through. Called my bank, they sent me a new card, I maybe got one more email notifying me of another declined purchase from my old card in the weeks afterwards. But...

    Sunday there was another email saying there was a charge from PayPal for $30 that was declined on my old card, and the name of the merchant or whatever. I brushed it off as they don't have any possible access to my new credit card, since they don't have my email or phone number to get into my bank account. But that same day the same charge of $30 went through on my new credit card.

    Neither of my credit cards have ever been linked to my PayPal, only my debit.

    I called PayPal and used the last 4 digits of the card they used and sure enough they set up a new account with my information. That still doesn't explain how they got my new card, though. PayPal had a super long call wait and I'm waiting for them to call me back to hopefully get more information about the account and blacklist my credit cards from the site.

    If I file a police report would anything happen? They tried to use doordash, so the company probably has record of the address they used for the card. I just don't see how they could have possibly gotten to my new card without impersonating me at some point.

    EDIT: Some more information that I felt is useful.

    The new card that was compromised was mailed directly to me and is in my possession. There's no way they would have physical access to the card. They have my address, but I live in apartments where the mailbox is locked. They have the old copy of my card and ID, I have the new card (with different numbers of course), but they somehow were able to use my new/active card anyways.

    PayPal said they were investigating and would get back to me within a couple weeks. And yes, I know to lock and request a new card. That's the first thing I did.

    submitted by /u/I_Love_Eggplant
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a server at a restauraunt/bar, i have just been taken off the schedule for refusing to pay for a gift card given to a customer.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 08:59 PM PST

    This all takes place in a small bar and grill in Minnesota. Apologies for formating issues, etc. I'm on mobile.

    The situation: earlier today i was working as a server on the restaurant side of a bar and grill. At approx 5:30 pm this evening a man sat at a table in my section, ordered 3 entrees and an appetizer to go, and a beer to drink while he was waiting. When the food was ready and waiting in the window i got it boxed and bagged for him, and brought it out to him along with his check. He payed, left me a generous $10 tip and left. About 15 minutes later the restaurant got a call from him saying that i had forgotten to box up a side order of tater tots. This is definitely true, i was admittedly in a bit of a hurry and forgot to add them to the box. Now the owner of the restaurant was at the bar having a beer, took the phone from the bartender who had answered it and offered the man a $10 gift card as compensation for the trouble. The man accepted, came back and picked up his tater tots and gift card. I was then informed that i was responsible for paying for that gift card, as it was my mistake. They transfered me an open tab with a $10 gift card charged to it and informed me that i would have to "cash it out." Meaning the money would come out of my tips at the end of the night. I let the matter rest and left the tab open, because i was busy. At approx 7:40 pm i was cut, finished all my side work and at approx. 8pm i confronted the owner, telling him i refused to pay the $10 for the gift card. He immediately told me i was as of now "off the schedule" and texted my manager (who had since left) to tell her to remove me from it. I asked him if he was terminating my employment and he told me "no, you're just off the schedule". When i asked him for how long, he said that he would have a talk with my manager, and would be in contact about it soon. I had 4 more shifts on the schedule for this week, and typically work 30-40 hrs. a week as this is my main source of income.

    So legally speaking, can he make me pay for that gift card? Was it legal for him to suspend me for refusing? Should I start looking for a new job?

    TLDR: Restaurant owner tries to make me pay for a $10 gift card given as compensation to a customer for a small mistake on my part.

    submitted by /u/Thisguyplows
    [link] [comments]

    (AZ) Apartment main office was broken into, and our move in deposit was stolen. We are now being threatened with a 10 day non-compliance.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 01:58 PM PST

    Hello,

    We submitted our move in deposit forms and money order for the first week of this month, and have been moved in and living in our new place since. A week later, the front office was broken into and all money orders were stolen, including ours, which were stored in an unsecured desk drawer easily available to the public during standard open hours (from the police report, they were stored in a desk drawer in the main lobby). The property manager had called us and told us to issue a stop and reissue on the money orders. I had kept the receipts so this was a easy task. I had the branch manager make copies of my forms as well, and was told the process could take up to 3 weeks to complete.

    I received an email today stating that if the Money orders are not delivered to the front office by EOD on 12/17, I would be sent a 10 non-compliance letter, to which I replied that the request is ridiculous given incompetence from the office, and that we would be speaking with a lawyer if non-complacence is processed.

    Can an apartment complex issue a non-compliance for their negligence? Are there any nuances I should be aware of?

    Thank you all.

    submitted by /u/bobroxs
    [link] [comments]

    My friend is staying over without her mom’s permission.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 10:14 AM PST

    Taiwan. Hello. I need help. So my friend is 16, a minor. Her mom kicked her out the house, and so she had no place to stay. I told my friend she was welcome to stay at my house since she had nowhere else to go, but now her mom is texting her saying she can call the cops on me and whatnot. My friend's mom is known to be abusive, verbally and physically (which is why I wanted to let my friend crash in for the night). im really scared, but at the same time I feel like her threats are empty, since she has done this so many times. Either way I don't really know what to do.

    submitted by /u/tsukirm
    [link] [comments]

    Military Deployment and Apartment lease

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 07:12 PM PST

    I received reserve mobilization orders to active duty in August and since then I've been trying to recoup my deposit from the apartment complex, but just a week ago they emailed me a bill for over $800 for past due rent. I'm literally training for a deployment overseas and have been battling the billing department at my old apartment complex, and I'm at my wit's end.

    In August I received mobilization orders, about which I immediately emailed my property management team and notified them. I told them I'd present my orders to them ASAP and would like to use my SCRA benefits to terminate my lease at the end of September. I gave the property manager my orders in person at the end of August, and then emailed them a digital copy in September. Now, the company is saying they don't have a record of the physical orders I presented, and the gentleman to whom I gave them no longer works for the company, and I have no way to verify that exchange.

    The guy in the billing department I've been corresponding to has been unbelievably rude, combative, and deliberately disruptive to the process, talking to me in a way I could never imagine treating anyone, especially a complete stranger.

    My partner and I never had any issues at the building, we were wonderful tenants and were sad to leave.

    I don't have time to go to the Jag with this, and I believe doing so would interfere with my deployment, but don't have the bandwidth to carry on with the futile exchange with this billing department.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Edit: I didn't include enough detail. To clarify, the company is saying I owe rent for the month of October, even though I requested to move out at the end of September, and we physically vacated the unit in September. They took my deposit to cover October rent and and are saying I owe an additional $800 on top of that. I expressed intent to leave by the end of September during the month of August when I physically presented my orders to the property manager.

    submitted by /u/tayezz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment