• Breaking News

    Saturday, December 7, 2019

    Legal Advice - Regular customer tipped me scratch tickets for years. I finally won something, and they are threatening legal action because I don't want to give them a cut. [FL]

    Legal Advice - Regular customer tipped me scratch tickets for years. I finally won something, and they are threatening legal action because I don't want to give them a cut. [FL]


    Regular customer tipped me scratch tickets for years. I finally won something, and they are threatening legal action because I don't want to give them a cut. [FL]

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 11:24 AM PST

    Florida.

    I worked as head bartender for a local restaurant for a number of years, and there was a regular customer who was there very frequently. I interacted with this customer frequently: they tipped exclusively in scratch tickets and specifically called to ask for my schedule, asked me out on multiple occasions, et cetera. Probably about forty years my senior. If you've ever watched The Good Place, this guy was IRL Brent.

    I won something from the scratch ticket that wasn't five/ten dollars: the final amount after taxes was about three months salary for me, and I was making good money. I specifically didn't tell the customer not because I thought they would want it but because I didn't want them feeling like I owed them something or that I should be thankful towards them. I did tell a coworker, and it got to him through the grapevine.

    The next time I came in, he congratulated me and asked how we wanted to split it. I sternly told him that it was my tip and long story short he went to my manager, who took his side. I quit (had been planning to anyway since I'm about to finish school).

    My manager GAVE THIS GUY MY EMAIL (I'm curious on the legality of this too) and he (customer) emailed me saying that if I didn't agree to give him 50% he'd take legal action.

    Do I need to worry about taking his threat seriously? Is there anything I can or should do to protect myself? I'm assuming this is a bluff but I want to have my bases covered.

    TL;DR: Me drink lady. Mean man who buy many drinks gives me scratchy scratchy papers instead of green paper for many days. One day scratchy scratchy says me get a lot of green paper, but man no like this when he hear because he want some of green paper too. Me say no, green mine, so he say that he take swift and immediate legal action if me no comply. Me no need comply, right?

    submitted by /u/Clean-Transportation
    [link] [comments]

    Doctor's office lied about reason for labs, ran them after I withdrew consent - Now I have a large bill.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 05:59 AM PST

    Location: South Carolina

    I see a psychiatrist for a bipolar diagnosis. Our appointments consist of us talking about how I have been doing, then she prescribes my meds for the month.

    On October 31 they took me back for my appointment but told me I needed to give a urine sample first. I asked why, since they have never done one on the years I have been going to this practice, and the nurse told me my insurance company required it. Since my insurance changed in June I didn't think anything of it and peed in the cup. A second nurse gave a form to sign which I did with out even thinking (I know).

    After I signed the form I started reading it and realized it was consent for a drug test so I asked again about the test. The second nurse also told me it was required by my insurance and they would pay for everything. She gave me a piece of paper she said explained everything and I was whisked off to the doctor.

    The rest of the appointment went fine, but when I got to my car I pulled out the piece of paper and read it. It didn't say anything about my insurance wanting a drug test. It said that my sample would be sent to a company called Highline Labs, who would then bill my insurance and then I would be responsible for what my insurance didn't pay.

    I immediately called my insurance company who told me that a) they don't require drug tests and b) Highline labs in not in their network and they would not cover any charges from them. I immediately went back inside and spoke to the girl at the front desk. I told her what my insurance company said and despite her trying to tell me there is no way I would receive a bill for the urine test, I told her I was withdrawing consent for them to test me and to destroy the sample.

    She went to the back, then came out and told me they had destroyed the sample and would not be testing it. I left.

    Well, they lied. Yesterday I got a bill in the mail from the lab for $365. I am furious. I plan on calling them on Monday, but I am wondering if they broke any laws and who I can file a complaint to against them for running labs after I withdrew consent. I am absolutely not paying this bill and am willing to go to small claims court if I have to.

    submitted by /u/urinetestthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    My Mother says I am not to get any money after my father's death but I think his Will says different. Can she (as agent and POA) "kick me out" of the Will?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 03:16 AM PST

    As title says, my Father passed Sept 26 and as expected it's been so hard. To make matters worse, my Mother sent me a text the other day that says "oh and just FYI you are not getting any money from Dad as he paid for stuff when he was alive." OK, I can deal with this HOWEVER, I got passed down my Dads phone after he passed because its nice than mine and I was gonna use it. Upon looking through the phone, his Will and a form stating my mother as his agent are in his saved documents. I read both out of curiosity and sure enough it says I get a split of 40% of something (I forget rn).

    So a couple questions: Can my mom change his will and kick me out of it?

    Is anyone in this sub able to look at a copy of the will and ELI5 to me? I could be interpreting it wrong I'm not familiar with this stuff at all.

    Also, my mom told me I have to go to the bank with her and "sign papers" regarding Dad when I go in for the holidays. What could this be?

    Thanks r/legaladvice I really hope I get some answers.

    EDIT: obligatory thank you for the gold! Also, thank you all for the amazing advice so far.. keep it coming I'm learning a lot and getting good ideas.

    submitted by /u/eringrace731
    [link] [comments]

    Please help: my boyfriends little brother recorded is in my bfs room! [UPDATE]

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 11:11 AM PST

    My original post is here.

    Some context I forgot to add in my first post: his "parents house" was a rent house because my boyfriends closet caught on fire.

    So I'll start off by saying my boyfriend and I didn't press charges. At first I wanted to, but later he changed my mind because we didn't want to ruin his life. We got both parents together and talked about it for hours, and apparently this isn't the first time he's tried something NSFW. I found out he has a history of violent outbursts and has been sent to a facility to rehabilitate before (not drug related).

    We decided about a month after it happened to not press charges and to make him write a paper about what he did wrong, while also having him look up the legal implications that would occur if turned in. However just before we were going to tell them, he got sent to juvy for attempted murder. He strangled my boyfriend's mom in the kitchen; luckily, my boyfriend was home to scare him off. While in juvy, he admitted to setting the house on fire, and now that case is being reopened.

    Thank you all for the legal advice and other advice you guys gave! I'm very grateful for you all and it's now in the hands of the law.

    submitted by /u/throwawayplshelp_123
    [link] [comments]

    Friends mom broke 500$ school owned chromebook

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 03:59 PM PST

    so my friends mom got pissed at me for not bringing a dish to the kitchen and went off, so i went upstairs and i hear "whos chromebook is this?" and my friend went "its [deadname]'s!" and i shit you not i heard a bang followed by "THATS A SCHOOL CHROMEBOOK WORTH 500 FUCKING DOLLARS" from my friend and her mom went "500 DOLLARS OUT OF HER OWN POCKET" and i heard two more loud bangs and haven't seen my chromebook since and this was at noon today. She is living in my home due to financial/governmental struggles. I was upstairs at the time but i could hear everything and the friend who belonged to the mom (who is also living here) told me she threw it across the kitchen and heard something break,, please help

    submitted by /u/AdditionalExpression
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor keeps pulling a "prank" on me and my landlord is being useless.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 10:40 AM PST

    Location: Indiana

    So I live in a relatively small apartment building with only one other apartment on my floor. So far it's been a dream come true, the place is cheap and is in surprisingly great condition for how low my rent is. My only problem for the past few weeks has been my across the hall neighbor. She keeps pulling this weird "prank" on me at all hours of the night and it's really freaking me out.

    Basically what she'll do is this: she waits until it's past 9 at night and start pounding on my door and wiggling my doorknob. There's always a lot of force behind it. If my doors weren't always locked I'm certain she'd just be barging in here. The first time it happened I thought somebody was trying to break in, so I looked out my peephole just in time to see her make a mad dash back to her apartment.

    I thought it was weird but I was too frazzled to really question it. I triple checked to make sure my door was locked and then went back to bed. But then it kept happening over the course of a few days. I always made it to my peephole just in time to see her either run back to her apartment or shut the door. I called the landlord after this happened three times and he talked to her. He said that she said it's just a prank and that she's just shy. He then went on to defend her, saying she was probably intimidated by me since she's so small and I'm a "stocky lady".

    Okay, whatever, that's fine. He told me that he asked her to stop and that she agreed to cut it out. But it keeps happening. Each time it happens I've notified my landlord because it's really creepy that she does it with so much vigor (not to mention she always does it at night). But the last time I told him about it he said that he wasn't getting involved in our drama. I've never even talked to this girl before. I tried to talk to her once when we were both in the laundry room but she avoided eye contact with me and left before I was even done introducing myself.

    My landlord's not taking this seriously at all and I'm starting to feel unsafe. Can I get the law involved in this to make it stop? I don't want to feel paranoid and scared in my own apartment anymore. Any advice would be appreciated.

    Edit: Thank you guys so much for all of your advice. I'm going to be looking into getting a special camera to try and catch her in the act. I'm glad to know that I don't just have to take this. I'm going to talk to my dad and plan out my next moves. Thank you again!

    submitted by /u/PastelWitchNamedDot
    [link] [comments]

    So my friend is throwing up at work (Tim Hortons) and they are forcing her to stay and work and only making her ware gloves and she’s working with food is she legally aloud to leave

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 07:55 AM PST

    We live in Ontario

    submitted by /u/iosCobra
    [link] [comments]

    I (18F) was told I need to severe a man I have an order of protection against (late 30sM) or I will be fired (Upstate NY)

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 11:54 AM PST

    title edit: serve not severe

    I work inside a large chain store (known for its weird people and hating unions) but for a smaller company that handles advertising and samples.

    I have a 5 year order of protection from when i was 15 against a man who kidnapped and raped me.

    He came in and started to talk to me and i told him he needed to leave loudly and repeatedly (i was told when i got the order that this was what to do)

    My manager comes and tells me to stop. I explain that i have an order of protection and she says that it doesn't matter and if I ever speak to a customer like that again I will be fired.

    Can she do this? Did I do the wrong thing?

    submitted by /u/Legal-Advice-StoreT
    [link] [comments]

    A clothing company I used to work for is now sending me a cease and desist letter for using designs they rejected (MI)

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 07:25 PM PST

    So I used to work for a clothing company, and I submitted several designs to them they rejected and never used. I have since quit, and started using the designs I made myself they didn't use.

    Recently they have contacted me threatening with a cease and desist. This is what my employment contract stated about non-compete/confidentiality.

    Each party (on its behalf and on behalf of its subcontractors, employees or representatives, or agents of any kind) agrees to hold and treat all confidential information of the other party, including, but not limited to, trade secrets, sales figures, employee and customer information and any other information that the receiving party reasonably should know is confidential as confidential, and protect the information with the same degree of care as each party uses to protect its own confidential information.

    The parties intend that, to the extent the deliverables or a portion of the deliverables qualify as a "work made for hire," within the definition of Section 101 of the Copyright Act of the United States (17 U.S.C. § 101), it will be so deemed a work made for hire.

    Confidential Information does not include any information that at the time of the disclosure or thereafter is lawfully obtained from publicly available sources generally known by the public (other than as a result of a disclosure by the receiving party or its representatives).

    None of the designs were made on company time or on company computers. The designs I'm currently using were designs they asked for when I started as a "baseline" for my work. They said if they liked them, they'd consider using them, but they never expressed interest in them.

    What can I do?

    submitted by /u/Efficient-Emergency
    [link] [comments]

    Company runs a stock scam and now scamming IRS taxes. What can I do?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 08:20 PM PST

    I have owned a thousand shares of public traded company. Years ago this company was acquired by GE and a new subsidiary was created.

    Enter Compushare, a business designed to manage merging of stock, distributing dividend checks, among other things for big corporations. Compushare runs this scam where they get a list of all the many thousands of small share holders around the nation like me, and they send a letter informing us that we each must pay Compushare $300 or give up 10% of our stock (whichever is a greater dollar value). Compushare declares if we do not pay them then:

    A) They will withhold any future dividend checks and

    B) We cannot sell or transfer our stock.

    My dividends would be around 100 a year spread across four checks, and I have been in a stalemate with Compushare for about five years now, meaning they owe me about $500 just in dividends, not to mention my stock.

    Fast forward to today and I received a thin envelope in the mail from Compushare. Upon opening the envelope I find a 1099-DIV form assigning me responsibility for the taxes on the dividends Compushare refuses to pay me. Compushare is obviously doing a few things wrong and I am guessing class actionable / illegal running afoul of the IRS.

    1) Compushare is obviously earning funds for themselves using the dividends of many people across the USA and world (Compushare is global)

    2) They are lying to the IRS about taxes on these fund by claiming we own the tax liability, even though Compushare is keeping the money for themselves.

    When you multiply this scam by the vast number of corporations doing business with Compushare both for stock certificate management and dividends, it seems like Compushare is scamming huge amounts of money, but they are able to get away with it because they only scam small share holders who individually wield no power.

    I am thinking about contacting a lawyer and giving them all the letters and paperwork Compushare has sent me over they years. Have any of you heard about anything like this before?

    submitted by /u/sysrpl
    [link] [comments]

    Scammed by handyman, concerned about continued presence in our neighborhood

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 07:01 AM PST

    Let me start by saying that,yes, my husband and I realize how stupid we were and will not being making similar mistakes in the future. Here's a summary:

    A few months ago we sold our condo in the city and moved to a house in the suburbs. We're in our thirties, while most people in our neighborhood are 60+ and retired. Since we're first-time house-owners and new to a lot of the outdoor maintenance tasks, our older neighbors have been very proactive about recommendations for services.

    Our nextdoor neighbor is a single, elderly retired woman. Of all our neighbors, we interact with her the most. She hires this guy (let's call him Bob) to do all of her yard work and home maintenance, and we frequently see him at her house. We learned later that he even keeps his car and motorcycle at her house.

    Long story short, yesterday as he was working in her yard Bob saw my husband and offered to clean our gutters for something like $40 cash or check. My husband agreed. After the guy was done, he became very adamant that he would only accept cash, which my husband didn't have. No worries, the guy said, because my husband could just drive to the ATM a few blocks away. My husband's car isn't drivable at the moment, but that was okay too because our next door neighbor (Jane) could drive them all to the ATM. So all three of them go to the ATM, and in the way BOb convinces my husband that we need some brackets installed, which he'll do for another $40. So my husband gives him a total of $80, and Bob will come back the next day to finish the job.

    Super weird and awkward , but okay. It's over.

    Nope. Soon after I get home (with our drivable car), Bob rings the bell saying he just spent $80 on brackets and can we reimburse him. I say we'd be happy to write him a check but he insists he needs cash right away. I guess we were both just overwhelmed and caught off guard, because I ended up driving this guy to the ATM to give him another $80. As I'm going through the drive through he says, "And actually if you just want to do another $40 that will cover the labor". So I just did it. Then he wants me to stop by his friend's house nearby (to get some money from her or something, but based on the house I'm pretty sure he was using the money I just gave him to buy drugs), and then at his house. I realized once I was in too deep how sketchy this all was, but I didn't feel like I was in a position to kick him out of the car.

    I got home and rehashed to my husband, realized we'd both paid him for the labor, realized we should have asked to see a receipt for the bracket (which I'm sure were not $80), realized how dumb it was to get in a car with him, and realized we'd just paid $200 to get the gutters on or single story house cleaned. We felt pretty dumb and angry.

    Then this morning Bob shows up on our doorstep at 8 am ready to get to work. Except now he's bought new brackets that are better but harder to install and needs an additional $200. I asked for a receipt, he said he didn't get one. I said he could do the job for what we already paid, or he could return the brackets and keep the money, but either way we weren't paying him any more. So he left.

    Then we looked him up in our states criminal offender system and found out he just out of prison for, among other things, a "false pretenses— $20,000 or more". He also has a breaking and entering charge from 2006.

    We're concerned about the fact that he basically lives next door and that he might not be too pleased with us. We're also concerned about the well being of our neighbor, for whom he claims to have done $100k in work and also may have some substance abuse problems. We don't care about getting our money back (we'll call that a stupid tax), but we don't feel super safe with him lurking around.

    Is it appropriate to go to the police?

    TLDR: guy who scammed us out of $200 has a long criminal record and spends a lot of time at our neighbors house. He is also probably taking advantage of our elderly neighbor. What recourse do we have?

    Edit: I'm located in Michigan

    submitted by /u/kalichibunny
    [link] [comments]

    Crocheted Baby Yoda

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 08:15 AM PST

    My wife is very talented at crocheting. She may or may not have created one baby Yoda for herself and now has been asked numerous times to create baby Yodas for Christmas presents. She's extremely hesitant due to Disney's reputation of absolutely destroying people for copyright infringement. She did reach out to the Lucasfilm rep for licensing, but hasn't received a reply yet.

    In the meantime, some people are saying that it's legal to make them as gifts as long as you don't charge money for them. Is that correct? Could she legally make a likeness of a copyrighted character and give it away, without making a profit, with no repercussions? We're thinking "no", but wanted the collective here to weigh in.

    Location: Virginia, USA

    submitted by /u/JazzmanRob
    [link] [comments]

    ON. So you can access my bank account.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 02:32 PM PST

    Posting on behalf of my GF. Living in Ontario.

    My girlfriend has a bank account at one of the major 5 banks in Canada, to which her mother is a bank teller at the same bank, local branch where GF grew up.

    Despite living away from home, her mother constantly looks up her, and her sisters bank accounts, and interrogates them based on the purchases they make. Checking, credit, the whole lot.

    Other than attempting to switch banks, and see if another bank will take on loans, what recourse is there in this?

    Obviously looking up a client's account, for any reason when the client isn't there is a big no no in the banking world, but what rules specifically is her mother breaking? Also, if another bank won't take over the loan, how can this be put to an end?

    submitted by /u/ordaia
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord gives no notice about maintenance crew, crew takes 3 full days to install new shower, and steals items from our kitchen

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 05:56 PM PST

    Location: OH

    Last Tuesday a maintenance crew showed up at the place I'm renting with a couple others. As mentioned in the title, they showed up with no notice and proceeded to take 3 full days to renovate the bathroom, including changing the flooring, toilet, and bathtub. Now this is a little intrusive, violates our "24 hour notice" agreement, and not being able to shower in our own place for three days straight sucks, but that's not what was really upsetting.

    After they finished up, we were finally able to take showers only to find out that they had messed up the drainage and that the shower water leaked into our pantry and ruined some of our food. We alerted the landlord and the maintenance crew came back and fixed it. However, later that day, we found that a few pieces of kitchenware and some drinks were missing. They weren't high valued items, but it's still not right to steal from anyone. And this is all on top of the maintenance crew leaving a large trailer in our neighbor's private parking spot and parking in another neighbor's private parking spot.

    This situation has left us all very frustrated with finals starting and I'd like to know what actions I can/should take within the next few days against my landlord/the maintenance crew. Any advice is appreciated as I have no experience engaging in legal matters like this.

    submitted by /u/iwantadog12
    [link] [comments]

    Accused for sexual misconduct when I was 8 or 9 years old

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 01:50 PM PST

    (USA) Throw away account for obvious reasons.

    I am a 23 year old male, and few days ago. I had a family relatives come visit my house. I remained sleeping on the couch as they came very late. But then out of the blue a cousin of mine who is now 19 cut me in the eye claiming that when I was about 9 I touched her inappropriately.

    I was in shock because it didn't make sense to me. I have no recollection of anything like this happened, and I have no history of ever assaulting or touching anyone like that. Especially as a child.

    In rage and anger I screamed and yelled at my relatives what was happening and trying to figure out what was going on. It doesn't make sense to me because this cousins mother and I have been close for all this time, and then all of a sudden this bomb shell just dropped on me. I have no idea or memory of anything like this accruing. I don't believe I know what sex was at that age either. I have no history of touching anyone like that in all my life, until this.

    I've been feeling humiliated and just shocked and honestly traumatized by this. I have NO idea what she is talking about, espcially if I was only 9 years old. An age I most certainly didn't even know what "sex" was because I didn't get the talk until about 13-14 when I reached puberty.

    I guess I should mention that the claim was I just touched her, that's it. Again that's the claim.

    From a legal perspective is there anything I should do or do in prior Incase someone tries to pull some false sexual assault charge against me? I don't want my name being trashed or thrown under the label as "sexual abuser" or something.

    Any input could be helpful

    submitted by /u/ThrowAwayandTaken
    [link] [comments]

    My parents were never married. Dad re-married and subsequently got divorced. My stepmom is still in the picture but dad really isn't. Can my stepmom legally adopt me?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 07:24 PM PST

    Hello r/legaladvice. I've never really touched this Subreddit before, and also just rarely use Reddit as a whole, but here goes: I'm a 17-year-old girl. My dad and his ex-wife both live in Pennsylvania (step-mom lives in Philadelphia, dad lives about three hours away from Philly). I live with my bio. mom, plus an aunt, uncle, and two cousins in SW Missouri.

    My parents were not married when I was born (nor were they ever married). My bio. dad isn't on my birth certificate. I'd never even spoken on the phone with my dad until I was 8 (though calls didn't become regular until I was 12), and we didn't meet in person until I was 13, when he and my SM were still dating. They got married in January of 2016, and subsequently divorced in May of 2018 (I think their divorce process started in November or December of 2017?).

    Now, my SM and I are still in regular contact. She's coming to visit next weekend, we have a messaging group chat with my best friend that we talk in constantly, and we try to call every couple of weeks to check up on things. My dad, on the other hand, rarely makes time to call me, hasn't seen me in person since February of this year (and before that since March of 2017), and hasn't consistently provided financial aid of any sort since I was 14 (which was coming out of my SM's paycheck, as he wasn't working at the time).

    The biggest complication is my bio. mom: For all of my childhood she was a single mom and we're very close. She raised me basically entirely without help until my dad and SM got together, at which point my SM became a huge part of my life.

    Is there a way for my step-mom to legally adopt me, without any sort of legal complications with my bio. mom? Can I retain my legal (and emotional) relationships with both if my step-mom legally adopts me? And if my dad doesn't cooperate (since he and SM are divorced), is there any way to combat that?

    Other important information: My dad hasn't paid his child support since he and SM got divorced, but did just recently loan my mom money to pay for her board exam (she's a cosmetologist) in a non-government facilitated capacity. I'm currently 17 years old, but I'll be 18 in May of 2019.

    I'd like to be able to be considered the legal child of my mom and my SM, but I don't know how feasible any of this is or what sort of timeframe it would need to happen in (can you adopt someone legally after they've turned 18?). So, does anybody have any advice for me?

    submitted by /u/chronicAngelCA
    [link] [comments]

    Boss attacked me.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 12:24 PM PST

    I have already filed a police report and will be filing a PPO monday. This is in Michigan, United States.

    I "was" the IT guy for this business and my boss has been paranoid (due to popping adderall like candy) that he has been getting hacked. I have found no true evidence of this but I went into his office Friday because he wanted to show me something. He then threw me into the wall(hes 6'5 200lbs, im 5'7) choked me with his forearm and as I tried to run out the office he came up behind me and threw me into a door and put me in a chokehold where I had to scream for help for the other employees to come and pull him off of me. I legitmately thought he was going to kill me. I have extreme pain in my neck and it hurts to drink/eat. Along with visible marks all around my neck. My glasses were broken aswell during this.

    As stated above I have already filed a report and they will be trying to charge him with aggravated assualt by strangulation and possibly assualt and battery aswell. This will be the second assualt on his record.

    I will be going and getting xrays of my neck with no insurance aswell.

    My question is do I have a lawsuit here, if I do can someone explain some more to me please. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/wsbyeesh
    [link] [comments]

    My boyfriend's ex girlfriend has been stalking me with the intention of character defamation

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 10:52 AM PST

    My boyfriend, Bear*, and I have been dating for going on one year. His ex girlfriend Kelly* has done everything in her power to break us up since then.

    *names changed to protect anonymity

    Kelly lost it when she found out Bear and I were together. Harassing text messages slammed Bear and I's phone. Then, that same day, she began to romantically pursue my roommate whom she didn't have any prior affiliation with. Kelly and my roommate dated on and off for 3ish months, the entire time going against my communicated wishes that they spend less time at my house and more at Kelly's. My needs went unmet, I basically rolled over and allowed my house, which I paid half of the bills for, to be their house because I wanted to take the path of least resistance. I was basically living with Bear full time, only going home when I needed to grab my things or do laundry. Kelly is mentally unstable and not worth trying to reason with. The uneasy living situation continued until one day when I notice a bunch of my clothes were missing, and many more STRONGLY smelling of Kelly's distinct perfume. A few days later I see a picture posted on social media of Kelly wearing one of MY MISSING BRAS. I kicked my roommate out and kept his security deposit to cover incurred property damages.

    Homelife began to settle for a few days once I got my house back, I was excited to settle back into my personal space and refocus on my relationship with Bear. A few days pass and MY ex boyfriend reaches out to let me know that Kelly is now trying to go after him, again a guy from my past in which Kelly had zero prior affiliation. My ex and I have maintained a honest and harmonious relationship since we broke up. I told him to be careful if he does choose to hang out with Kelly because her intentions do not feel pure. They ended up hanging out a few times, he told me Kelly tried to have sex with him but he was not interested, and so he denied and that was pretty much the end of that.

    All the while, professional life was also disheveled. The startup company I had been working for lost two managers whom I reported directly to, and the CFO put all of their responsibilities on my plate, as I was the only one who was competent in how to run this aspect of the business. The workload was impossible for one person, which I vocalized the need for support to CFO, standing in as our out of touch overhead. I grit my teeth and went to work for four grueling months; I deeply cared about the work we were producing and my coworkers were like family to me (except for Brian*, he had a longtime crush on me and no longer wanted to be my friend once Bear and I started dating). I requested more support, a raise or bonus, or an appropriate promotion since I had been carrying the workload of three people, two of them being my previous mangers. These needs went unmet by the CFO, and so, as anyone with self worth would do in this situation, I quit.

    The day after I quit, the owner of the company (not involved in management of previous company) called me up to offer me a better job working for her other business which has separate management. She admired my work ethic and character and did not want to lose me. I got to work at my new job with a huge load off of my shoulders.

    Just as the dust began to settle, enter Kelly. This time, she is VOLUNTEERING at my previous place of work, working directly beside Brian. Together they scheme on how to take me down, they come up with the following lie: "she quit working here because Brian saw her stealing tips and she didn't know what to do so she quit the next day." This rumor would eventually get back to me as I heard it from multiple other new and former co-workers, friends, and Bear's relatives. I have a screenshot of Kelly communicating this rumor to Bear's sibling. There would be no HR documentation or knowledge of this lie because it was fabricated, and my rational for quitting was apparent between our HR rep and I--I voiced my frustrations to her throughout the four months, had rapport with her, and gave an exit interview which would further support the fact that this is a lie. I am wondering if I should take this one into litigations since Kelly is attempting to interfere with my professional life and livelihood. I just want Kelly to leave us the hell alone.

    I fear that if I don't take legal action, Kelly will continue in her attempts at character assassination. Although I have a very supportive new boss who is current with Kelly's attempts to defamate my professional (and personal) life, it is maddening to think how many coworkers, acquaintances, and people in my community may have a tainted perspective of my character because of Kelly's bitterness/ defaming remarks.

    I am simply trying to make it through this a) without stooping down to her level or b) without completely rolling over to this woman as she attempts to run a smear campaign all over the life that I have so proudly built.

    I am seeking legal advice as well as personal. What would you do if you were me?

    submitted by /u/Spiritual-Tip
    [link] [comments]

    I am being sued for personal injury from a car accident. (IL)

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 03:54 PM PST

    I was in an accident back in August of this year. I was making a left-hand turn at a green light, not an arrow. The other driver was coming straight and wound up colliding with my front end. I was going around 14 mph, but my airbags were deployed.

    Long story short at the accident I was found not at fault by police at the scene, and my insurance company found me 25% at fault. This because I was making a left hand turn at a green light. The other driver was driving her boyfriend's car and was not listed as an insured driver for said vehicle.

    I got a notice by mail today, three months later, that she was suing me for personal injury in an attempt to pay her medical bills.

    I am going to speak to the rep who handled my case on Monday. I hardly have enough money to pay my own bills sometimes and am very scared I'll be held responsible for her bills. I'm also very scared the insurance company won't help me and I will need to find a lawyer which I absolutely cannot afford right now.

    Should I be worried and what are the chances of her having a successful case against me?

    submitted by /u/Awkward-Plenty
    [link] [comments]

    Grandparent fell and is scared to go to hospital in fear of losing her job.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 07:03 PM PST

    My grandma had a fall and now she is scared to go to the ER. She works at the hospital and they claim that if you drink, you can be fired for it. For example if she drinks off the job, on a weekend, she can be fired for that. Is that legal for them to do? Can they take action on things that happen outside of the job? She isn't a doctor or a nurse, she's just a receptionist so I don't see how drinking outside of work would ever be a problem.

    Location: Indiana

    submitted by /u/Gallies01
    [link] [comments]

    Startup hasn't paid for work and canceled health insurance 2 months back without our knowledge

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 10:54 AM PST

    I work for a startup that's been up and running for 6 years in 4 years in NY and 2 years in Florida. This week nobody has received pay. When asked they claimed it was a "paychex" error ( our current payroll company) but what has made things extremely suspicious is that they are keeping everything quite.

    HR sends us to finance and finance says they are working on it. There hasn't been any real explanation or anything that can justify what happened. All we keep getting is "We are working on it and check back Monday" not a company wide address.

    I was afraid this day would come but I expected a little more respect from my employer. In this case , what can I do to prepare myself legally to take action.

    Disclamer: the company has been Rocky with funds and they are telling us to wait till Monday. There is a chance everything will go back to normal but from the information gathered...might be unlikely unless we secure emergency funding somehow.

    submitted by /u/Melinag1992
    [link] [comments]

    My mother got a notice of a "Failure to Respond to Your Jury Summons" today; but she never received the original notice.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 04:49 PM PST

    My mother received a notice from the Los Angeles County Court that she failed to respond to a jury summons; but she does not remember ever receiving a jury summons and since its a Saturday and the offices are closed we can not contact the jury services offices. The online portal is not of any help as well. What should be our next steps to clear up this mess? Also my mother is not a citizen of the United States but is a permanent resident would that affect it in anyway?

    submitted by /u/Calmrager1
    [link] [comments]

    Therapist is charging my mother's insurance for appointments she didnt make or attend.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 06:32 PM PST

    My mother has been seeing a therapist for around 15 years now and has recently discovered that the therapist has been charging her insurance company for sessions she didnt attend. At times she has billed her insurance for 2 or 3 appointments per week, even when my mother hadn't seen her in months. My mother just discovered this and doesnt have a clue how to proceed.

    I'm not sure if this is relevant, but my mother has 3 friends who also see this therapist and have had the same issue. One is suggesting they report her to their insurance, but is afraid they will personally get in trouble even though they didnt know anything about the therapist charging for extra sessions.

    How should they proceed? Will they get in trouble for the therapist's behavior? What are the consequences for this kind of fraud? Thanks in advance. Also, we live in Connecticut in the United States.

    Tl;dr My mother and her friends have a therapist who is committing insurance fraud. How to proceed?

    submitted by /u/beepbooprobot99
    [link] [comments]

    Recently moved into a refurbished apartment, found out after a washing machine shortage in a neighboring unit, and a melted power strip in another, that there are no grounded outlets in the entire building. Submitting an escrow letter to the landlord. Do we have any ground to stand on? [OH]

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 09:55 AM PST

    Hi reddit, thanks for reading.

    In October myself and two other units moved into a remodeled apartment building containing four units. Every outlet in every apartment is a three pronged outlet, and one outlet in the kitchen and one in the bathroom have the GFCI attachment on them.

    Each apartment has a washer, dryer, microwave, oven, fridge in the kitchen. When we originally moved in, proof of renters insurance was required and our lease specifically stated that electrical problems are not at the fault of the landlord and will be required to be covered by renters insurance (we didnt think much of it until going back over our lease after electrical issues had started).

    A washing machine in our neighboring unit surged and broke, Maytag came to repair it and said the reason it surged and broke was because the outlet was overloaded. Along with that, some higher end tech devices that pull some power freak out when plugged in, and stop working. The apartment underneath me, had a power strip melt (thankfully while the tenant was home to smell it) and it only had a phone charger and fan plugged in at the time.

    The building as a whole is submitting a letter to the landlord that states

    -this issue was brought to his attention back in mid November, and his solution was to install another GFCI outlet to the washing machine (which when tested by a licensed electrician was still not grounded)

    -we would not have signed the lease knowing nothing in the building was grounded

    -we signed in good faith that the building and property was up to code after the renovations

    -we can no longer rely on renters insurance because coverage is void when using electronics on non-grounded outlets

    and to remedy the issue the tenants would like

    -the outlets in the building to be grounded and signed off by the local inspector

    -a rent reduction due to the inconvenience of living in a construction zone

    -and allow those who wish to exit their lease to do so without penalty and with full refund of security deposits

    If the issue persists for 30 days with no resolution, tenants will put their rent in escrow.

    My main concerns would be, submitting this letter and due to repairs, being required to move out. OR due to repairs, rent increasing beyond a number we can afford. OR not being offered to renew our lease after the year is up. We really lucked out on location and space and we wont find anything else like this. I love these apartments. All of the appliances are new, its an amazing city, its affordable at $1000/month, and my fiance and I have already moved in and made this place a home with new furniture and some minor modifications in hanging things that would be very inconvenient to move after two short months. Our apartment specifically, has not had any issues. Obviously, we would like to see the building be made safe and have peace of mind that nothing in our unit, or the units below or next door will catch fire.

    Do the tenants of this building have any ground to stand on when it comes to this issue, and what repercussions should I/we expect once we submit the letter?

    submitted by /u/high_im_kaylee
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment