• Breaking News

    Monday, December 23, 2019

    Legal Advice - Radiology center mistakenly put "opioid dependence" as my diagnosis, and won't remove it from my medical record.

    Legal Advice - Radiology center mistakenly put "opioid dependence" as my diagnosis, and won't remove it from my medical record.


    Radiology center mistakenly put "opioid dependence" as my diagnosis, and won't remove it from my medical record.

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 05:18 PM PST

    Several months ago, I had some imaging done at a radiology center I'd never been to before. When I checked the results and report online (which were sent to my referring provider), I see that under the Problem section of the medical record created for me, I was given the diagnosis of "opioid dependence, on agonist therapy." There was no basis for this diagnosis, as the radiology center only had the referral for imaging and basic demographic information I'd filled out. Having a diagnosis of opioid dependence can have very damaging effects in my profession, as my employer is granted access to my medical information, as well as my malpractice provider; and it will follow me in my medical records with any application for any insurance product.

    The radiology center apologized for the error, but has left the acknowledged false diagnosis in my medical record adding the word "inactive" to it. I explained that this is still very problematic, as any reader (employer, governing body of my profession, insurance company) will still see "opioid dependence" as a diagnosis, and I will not be there to explain that it was an error. They have since ignored all of my emails.

    Do I have any legal recourse to have them remove the error they acknowledged making, which I am really concerned will negatively affect my employment and livelihood (as it is now also part of my medical record at the referring provider).

    Thank you in advance for any feedback!

    Edit: Located in New York

    submitted by /u/t1dt1dted
    [link] [comments]

    I'm being harrassed by my boss for being an athetist. The abuse has gotten worse after the passing of my brother, for which my boss blames my atheism. My company has only 6 employees, can I sue him? [North Carolina]

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 09:22 AM PST

    [North Carolina] I was on a leave for 3 months due to severe depression after my twin brother lost his battle to cancer. I incorporated back to the workplace last Monday. My boss has usually singled me out and harrassed me for being the only non religious person at work, but this past week he's gone out of his way to blame the dead of my brother, sister and parents on me for not beliving in god, as well as an array of accusations and condescending comments about being lost in life, without purpose, and bringing tragedy upon myself because I don't accept Jesus in my life. No need to get in great detail here, but he relentlessly harrasses me from the moment I walk into the office.

    It's a small family run office, we work in a niche industry and we're only 6 employees and my boss. The lady in charge of HR is a family member of my boss, and the founder and CEO is his father in law and shows up at the office once a month . He is an outspoken member of the Opus Dei, so there's not even a point in talking to him. I tried once and he told me to quit if I have an issue with their religion. The other employees are also religious and friends of the family. They do not gang up on me though, that's only my boss.

    Someone told me I can't sue because the company has only 6 employees, is this correct? I've tried talking to HR (Edit: HR lady says boss is just looking out for me and has the best intentions. She doesn't really take my complaints seriously) as well as to my boss directly, asking him to please stop with the condescending preaching and the cruel comments about my dead relatives. This only serves for him to talk to me in a pitiful and condescending tone. He won't leave me alone with the religion shoving and blaming the deaths in my family on me, as a punishment from god because I don't love him.

    Is there anything I can do? Or do I have no case because the company has less than 15 employees? What are my options? thank you.

    submitted by /u/cartuspier900
    [link] [comments]

    A customer wants to sue us for a late delivery - $60,000. Do they have a case?

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 02:24 AM PST

    We imported a kitchen from the UK to the US. The customer was told the landing date instead of arrival (admin error) date and due to Thanksgiving, there was another 4-week delay.

    The customer now wants to sue us for $60,000 for costs incurred due to the delay. This is a greater amount than the kitchen cost.

    Do they have a case, and what would be the best action for us to take?

    submitted by /u/lukamondo
    [link] [comments]

    LA Dealership asking me to return car that I purchased 6 months ago.

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 10:09 AM PST

    Hi all. I posted about this a while back and didn't get much response. Thought it might resolve itself but alas, it has not, and I could use a little advice.

    In July, I purchased a car from a nationwide dealership. I've purchased cars from this dealership in two other states, but this is their first store that has opened in Louisiana. They had been open for about two months when I bought the car.

    The dealership was supposed to take care of registering the car and call me when the tags were ready for pick up. After two months I had heard nothing. My temp tags expired so I gave them a call and they told me they were running into a title issue and offered to send me another temp tag. This happened three times before I really started pressing for a resolution.

    As it turns out, they bought the car at an auction in another state. Due to the way that is was purchased, it is unable to be registered in Louisiana. (Can provide more detail if needed). Fixing the title defect is proving to be very difficult for them. The last time I called to check the status, they told me I should "probably bring the car back and start shopping around for another one." They've never reached out to me again.

    I'm not really sure what I can or should do here. I put $2k down on the car and have been making payments for six months. I don't really want to start over again with a new car and new interest rate.

    If they demand that I bring the car back, are they obligated to give me back what I have spent on it so far? Who actually owns the car? (I have a loan through my bank). What if I refused to return it? What if I moved out of state with it? I don't really understand this grey area that I'm in and would love some explanation. TIA.

    submitted by /u/Nica-sauce-rex
    [link] [comments]

    My friend's dog was stolen and she was found. But he says he got her registered as his pet.

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 04:23 PM PST

    I live in New York.
    My best friend lost her dog june 28, 2019. She found her today. She was bred and had the puppies today. This dog has been reported stolen since june 28. The guy who lived in the house next to her stole her. My friend A, found her today. The police won't let her take the dog and puppies because the guy says he got the dog registered in his name. They are saying she has to take him to court and that nothing can be done until the first. Is there any legal standing she can use?

    submitted by /u/Sharp_Ocelot
    [link] [comments]

    left note on hit car in parking lot

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 10:46 AM PST

    Im a teen from Massachusetts and am super worried right now. I pulled into a parking spot in a parking lot and accidentally left a tiny scratch on the car to the right of me. I got out, waited for the owner of the other car to return. They didn't come back, so I wrote a note with my name and phone number on it and left it under their windsheild. I called my mom and she said this was the right course of action. I then also took a photo of the damages and of their liscense plate. After leaving the note with my contact information, I left. Is this legally the right thing to do for an incident like this in Massachusetts?

    I dont want to be at fault for any sort of hit and run.

    submitted by /u/legalthrowaway192832
    [link] [comments]

    I got an infected tattoo from a tattoo parlor and the tattoo looked wrong right after it was done. I have crazy medical bills now.

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 06:36 PM PST

    CHICAGO,IL

    I have been to the ER twice. My medical bills are insane. I have 9 tattoos so I am very well educated on how to take care of them. The artist did not give me paperwork on aftercare or talk to me about after care at all, which I would have appreciated since this is the biggest tattoo I have gotten. Immediately after the tattoo it looked wrong, solid colors had exposures to them and the yellow looked kind of burnt and the blue didn't set right.

    Two days later pus comes out, I have tried calling the artist two days by now and he will not talk to me on the phone but texts me. I text him a picture of the pussing tattoo and he says it's fine I'm just using too much ointment. I go against his advice and go to urgent care where they say I have an infection and the doctors put on masks around me. I had cellulitis. They gave me bactrim. The next day I got a temperature and the cellulitis spread so I went to the ER and they gave me more antibiotics. For a 13 days I've been barely able to do anything, been to the ER twice, have a disfigured tattoo and emotionally going through a big infection scare like that was horrible.

    I tried politely yet directly conversing with the owner over email and he kept changing my words in his responses. He finally calls me and is very intimidating and standoffish and basically tells me I'm a liar and that he's not going to pay for any medical bills. He also told me the artist said he did do aftercare with me, which is a blatant lie.

    I feel really taken advantage of. I gave the artist a ride to his destination because he couldn't reach his fiancé. Then he treats me like this,

    This has been horrible. I'm getting it removed through a doctor but it's still not healed and I was really sick, today I'm feeling better but I was in bed most of the day. I have pictures of the infection developing. I also have texts between the artist and I and him saying it was nothing.

    Is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/Probablyidkthough
    [link] [comments]

    [CA,USA] I am a diagnosed Schizophrenic, mom collects my ssi (sent to her for me) but gives me half (not enough for meds, transportation ect) and now my boyfriend of 4 years has started abusing me. How do I find out who my social worker is and how do I start the process to try and live on my own?

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 08:23 PM PST

    (Bay Area) I don't know what to do. I have spoken to a therapist (different than my current one) before and they dont know what to do about my ssi and mom. I see my current one in Feburary but I am too scared to reveal my mom has been withholding my money for years and that my bf has started becoming abusive.

    Years ago i tried to report my mom but the lady at ssi was very nasty to me and refused to give me a grievance form to fill out.

    I feel very trapped but before going with a permanent route i am finally going to stand up for myself and at least fight for my rights.

    I am uneasy reporting abuse and would rather just try to make a case for me to transition to living independently.

    I have also called shelters and womens shelters but they are uninterested in helping or directing me on getting help (they are full and are only seeking to help women with children).

    I know other people have worse situations than me, but I really feel like I have a right to not be abused and live in a safe environment.

    submitted by /u/GamerGrowlithe
    [link] [comments]

    Roofing contractor (Roof Doofus) is at it again....doubling down on suing us

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 07:37 AM PST

    Hey LA!

    I'm writing an update to my previous post about getting summoned to small claims court (Colorado) by our roofing subcontractor (affectionately referred to here as Roof Doofus). We went to court this past week, and I'm in need of some subsequent advice.

    Per a lot advice I got here, we filed a counter-claim in advance of the hearing for the windows that Roof Doofus (RD) damaged while working on our property as well as for the services we paid for that he did not perform (staining of soffit/fascia). When we got to court, we were ushered into a conference room with RD and a mediator (I guess mediation is the required first step in our county). As the plaintiff, RD got to speak first and it quickly became apparent that he was totally disorganized and had no compelling case. Even the mediator, who said she was supposed to be an impartial facilitator, was saying things like "sorry, I'm not following, can you show me where you told them that you were going to need to buy additional material?" and "I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I do know the judge cares a lot about contracts...". Anyway, mediation obviously got us nowhere, so we were sent back into the judge. RD was visibly flustered and immediately asked for a continuance, which the judge granted. We met with the clerk, decided on a date, and left.

    Later that day, RD tried calling us (which we ignored). He left a voicemail where he said he spoke to his attorney and they are considering pulling this case out of small claims and refiling in the district court. He said he would be in contact about how he plans to proceed, but that we should let him know if we wanted this to all go away because they'd "consider not re-filing" if we would drop our counterclaim.

    Here's where I need advice:

    1. Can he do that? I'm assuming he can, but what happens to our counterclaim then?
    2. If the court does dismiss his case per his request, we would file our counterclaim separately. Can we still do that even if he "plans to take us to district court" later?
    3. If he does sue us in district court, is the concept of a counterclaim similar to small claims court? The reason I ask is that I'm confident that if we were required to get legal assistance for district court, the lawyer would be able to put together a stronger and more comprehensive case against RD than just the items we've included in our small claims counterclaim (quantifying the damages for the 3-month delay that the first faulty roof caused, for example). Would moving forward with our small claims case prevent us from being able to counter-sue in district court (presuming he does take it there)?

    I just don't know how any of this works as we've never navigated the court systems before. Thanks in advance for your advice! It helped us out a ton up to this point.

    submitted by /u/roofdoofus
    [link] [comments]

    My mom had me arrested as a teenager to “teach me a lesson” and I’m afraid it will affect my ability to work a government job

    Posted: 22 Dec 2019 10:53 PM PST

    Hello! Just like the title says, I was arrested as a teen. The point of it was to "teach me a lesson". I had severe social anxiety and I was being bullied when I was 13 because of it. This caused me to not want to go to school. One morning it got out of hand and my parents dragged me by my neck out of the house and tossed me in the car. In an attempt to get out of the car, I pushed my mom aside because she had herself positioned in front of the door, holding me down. She called the police, telling them that I hit her.

    I have since been okay. I'm graduating college soon with a high gpa and I'd like to get a job with the government. I've already interned in the field and I want nothing more than to work in it. I haven't had any sort of legal problems since. I contacted the juvenile detention center that has my records and they printed them out for me. Is there a way that I could have them completely destroyed? My mom never pressed charges and I never went to court. I did some community service and had to take a class on domestic violence but the records still exist. Any advice/knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

    Edited to add: my mom has since admitted that she lied and told the police that I punched her when I was only trying to push her aside so that I could escape. It wasn't right for me to push her out of the way, but it also wasn't right for her to lie to the police. I know that we probably can't do much to clear it up, but she's willing to help me try (if there's anything she has the ability to do).

    submitted by /u/crispy-crunch
    [link] [comments]

    A lady is threatening to sue me over a purse. What do I do?

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 07:20 AM PST

    Sorry for the incoming wall of text, I will try to be brief but concise. So recently I sold a Louis Vuitton purse for my mother in law over market place. I met up with the lady, she looked it over, goods were exchanged (also I should note that she knew from the beginning I was selling the purse for my mother in law and that it didnt belong to me). Now she is bombarding me with calls, voicemails, texts, and messenger messages claiming the bag was fake and she wants her money back. I will say, I'm not familiar with designer bags at all, but my mother in law is. She said the bag was authentic and I have no reason not to believe her. She has sold designer goods for a long time, so she is familiar with them.

    I told the lady to contact my mother in law as the bag was hers and I just posted it for her since she generally sells online and not locally. The bag had quite a bit of wear on it so she wanted it sold to someone who could see it in person and was okay with the condition of it. The lady told my mother in law she took it to have it authenticated and was told it was fake. My mother in law informed her she would be happy to refund her as long as she brought the paper saying it was fake. Well, the lady didnt like that apparently because that's when she started harassing me even more.

    The lady told me she had all mine and my husbands personal information (our tag number, our address, where we work, etc). She started saying she would press charges and have me arrested for fraud, sue me, and just a lot of give me my money or else. I reiterated what my mother in law told her and asked her not to contact me further since the bag wasnt mine to begin with. I literally delivered the lady the bag and delivered the money recieved to my mother in law.

    She has been messaging me all morning saying she wouldn't want my son to lose his mother. She isnt directly threatening me, but she sure is skirting around it. I have already filed a police report to start documenting this. I was told she had no grounds to file a report as this wasnt a criminal matter, but I did because she is bordering on harrassment. After I told her I contacted the police she then went on saying she would sue me. So that brings me here. I literally have no experience with this kind of stuff. The police told me not to worry about anything unless she became more aggressive, or served me papers. Should I contact a lawyer? Or should I just wait it out? For reference the bag was only sold for 400$ and she was literally offered a refund multiple times, in writing and verbally, if she would just bring the paper saying it wasnt authentic. Thank you all in advanced.

    Location, Oklahoma

    submitted by /u/aasshhzziillaa
    [link] [comments]

    I was told by my supervisor “you people don’t celebrate Christmas” when I asked for the day after off

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 08:44 PM PST

    I told my supervisor two weeks ahead of time about using the pto I have accumulated around Christmas, I have 50 hours too use and only 40 get transferred next year. I told my foreman today that I won't be in for the end of the week because I scheduled off and he questioned me if I'm sure about that because this supervisor has pulled shit like not giving pto and saying he forgot, so my foreman called him to ask about it and the sup lied and said that I never asked for it even though I texted him the dates I wanted off, as he requested for me to do so after I originally asked. so after my shift I called him to ask about why he's lying , I had him on speaker with two of my coworkers, he started off by calling me a slacker and a part timer as an insult even tho I never call in sick and I have accumulated 50 hours so I clearly don't miss much work, also my foreman has been saying nothing but good things about me, he then continued to insult me and said you people don't celebrate Christmas ( I'm an Arab and raised catholic) while on speaker my coworkers heard that and I yelled back that's racist! So he started to backpedal and admitted the truth that I did come into his office and he remembered that I asked for it but doesn't know if he put it in, but also said that he might not even approve it and continued to insult me. I'm so stressed I can't sleep, I like my job but don't know what I can do. I'm gonna call hr tomorrow morning and say I have two witness that heard everything, I don't want him to be my supervisor and don't want to talk to him at all.

    submitted by /u/aemoussa
    [link] [comments]

    CONSIGNMENT SHOP STOLE...WELL, EVERYTHING I OWN!!! (FLORIDA)

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 06:40 PM PST

    I will try to keep this brief.

    In January 2019, my partner took his own life. I was left, shattered, with basically enough money to cremate him and about $75,000 in debts on our joint accounts. I didn't know wtf to do. I had to get out of our apartment (couldn't pay the rent), so I decided to sell everything in it to try to raise some cash.

    All of our furniture, artwork, decor, etc was only about a year old, upscale and quite trendy. I called a large, local consignment/auction house whose owner came to my home and confirmed everything was very appealing and sellable. It was quite obvious I was grieving hard and pretty much alone (no family around). The lady was oh-so-sympathetic and assured me she'd take care of everything. Boy, did she ever. Can you say, "easy mark"?

    I stupidly signed a vague and poorly written consignment contract stating she'd display everything in her store and pay me 50% of all sales. Stupidly, I didn't have anyone review the contract and let this woman take an entire truckload - everything in my 3 BR apartment - away in a truck without even an itemized list of what-all she was removing. She told me she'd get me an inventory ASAP. Smartly, I at least took a bunch of photos of everything before it went. I then left the area, moving 1000 miles away and left it all in her hands. Obvs I really wasn't thinking clearly.

    Everything was pretty much okay for a couple months, except that I had to fight tooth and nail by long-distance to finally get that inventory after about 7 or 8 weeks. It was not nearly complete, so there was more back-and-forth until I got a relatively correct list with a total resale valuation of about $13K for everything. At the three-month point, I'd been paid almost $2K for items she said she'd sold.

    There's some dispute about when the contract was actually going to terminate, which is a separate issue at this point. The problem about which I'm writing here is that she has refused to return any of my unsold property, although I've requested she do so. Yes, that's about $11K worth (resale value, mind you) of household goods.

    She has refused to give me any type of accounting of my property since the one and only list I wrangled out of her in April. Neither has she informed me of any sales since August, nor paid me for anything sold or unsold since then.

    It's important to note that NOWHERE did I agree in writing or otherwise that I was conveying ownership of the goods to her. Our agreement was for consignment sale only. I therefore retained - and still retain - ownership of everything. That stupid contract I signed did give her the right to dispose of my goods once the contract was up (again, not actually defined), but she hasn't done that. My stuff is still in her store and still being offered for sale and presumably she's been pocketing all the money since she quit paying me in August.

    I get it that I'll likely have to sue for that money, but what I want right now is my property back. She won't answer my calls or my emails demanding she get it all ready for me to pick up. Nor has she complied with my requests for a reconciliation of my account. Crickets, nothing. The last I heard from her is that she will have me arrested if I show up at her store.

    Is this a matter for the police? Do I file a report of theft? How do I press charges, and how do I get her to return my property? I'm assuming this IS a criminal matter...?

    Help, please, someone. And kindly hold all the disparagement for my stupidity. I already know. I just want my things back.

    submitted by /u/jriffraff
    [link] [comments]

    xEmployer witholding final pay, black mailing, harassing me, and more.(USA)

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 07:31 PM PST

    This is in the mid west. I quit 2 weeks ago. I had about 4-5k worth of commission(1099) on this check. I was suppose to get paid that on friday. Instead I don't. I text my old boss asking him and he said the owner has told him to with hold my pay.

    I call the owner and get both on the phone. I recorded everything fyi(1 party state). They threatend me, called me names, told me theyll pay me in 3 months if they can trust me and if I am good theyll maybe give me a bonus. They argument is that I am recruiting their guys to my new company. I am actually not doing that and they have ZERO proof. I asked for proof and they said they don't need to give any. They are threatening me with legal. They said I signed a NDA and more. I said I did not as far as I know.

    2 days before that I was harrassed by previous employees, one being a manager. They posted an incentive in work chat using work money to pay anyone money if they harrass me. (i have pics). I ask the owner and he said its not illegal(on recording).

    Today I text asking my boss for my employment packet showing that I signed what ever they claimed. He said the owner told him he cannot talk to me. I text the owner and he straight up says I will never send you it. He claims im trying to copy him and more. I sent a claim to the labors department. I am wanting to talk to a lawyer but everyone gone due to the holidays. Wtf do I do? Can they get in trouble?

    submitted by /u/throwaway324234lsadf
    [link] [comments]

    When a parent takes your kids

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 01:49 PM PST

    I don't know what to do. I live in Florida. I'm divorcing my husband. We have 3 kids. 5 7, and 10. He was served a week before thanksgiving and responded to it. He still lives in the house.

    He has family in the town we live in. I don't. He doesn't have a job and hasn't for 4 years. I work second shift. We have very little money and he keeps asking for money. Things have been difficult and he keeps intensifying things at home. The kids are against me because he encourages bad behavior. Staying up late. Not doing homework. My oldest daughter for example is failing school. He will take the kids to his parents for a weekend. Then come home.

    Today when I'm at work he texts me to say he's taking the kids and won't be back until after Christmas. He says because there's no food. But I just went shopping. My boss gave me permission to leave work but now I've lost hours. He's gone and has emptied the refrigerator.

    My lawyer is on vacation. I don't have a court order. Nothing. Is this legal? What can I do? Do I have to take this abuse? Do I have to wait un til divorce is final?

    submitted by /u/PsychologicalProof6
    [link] [comments]

    My Dad’s Ex-Girlfriend tried to get me arrested after taking my dog.

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 09:39 AM PST

    Good morning Reddit,

    I am a 19 y/o from New York looking for advice regarding the title of this post.

    As a small background, please look at my previous post

    To give the basic rundown of this past post, my dads ex girlfriend already tried to persuade me into giving her my dog.

    Throughout this post I will refer to his ex girlfriend as "Sam"

    Let me set the scene: It is Sunday, December 22nd at approximately 11:00 AM. The sun is shining, and my dad is getting ready to take out my dog, Diesel. My dad had exited, and I was sitting on the stairs of our leased house. I was on the phone with my mom talking about our plans for Christmas when I heard commotion outside. I looked out the window, and saw Sam bickering with my dad. I immediately hung up on my mom. I raced outside and got in between them. I politely asked her to leave my father alone, and to leave without any escalation. It didn't work. She was going back and forth between my dad and me, and finally turned to walk away... but this is where things escalate even further.

    Prior to this, these little squalls were just to be disruptive. This is where Sam has over stepped the line.

    After turning away, she had called my dog. Since he had been around her so much, he had very little problem going up to her. I politely told her to stay away from him, and then she took off with him. She ran the other direction with him, and I instinctively chased after. I caught up, and she stopped dead in her tracks to try to trip me. I avoided it, but got in front of her to stop her from getting any father away with Diesel. I told her to give me my dog back, and she refused. This is when I was getting really upset. She could definitely tell. She started to taunt me. She went on to say "Hit me, I know you want to" over and over. I wasn't that upset, and my dad was watching this all take place. I grabbed my dog and began to walk away. I thought it was the end of the interaction. I wanted it to be.

    But apparently she wanted to escalate it even further.

    She whipped around and told me she was calling the police. I turned around in confusion to why she would want to call the police after she just tried to take my dog. She told me that she was calling the police over a domestic dispute that I hit her. I was definitely within hitting distance, but I'm not a violent person. I don't want anyone to get hurt. I just wanted my dog back. She showed me she had a bloody lip (that I'm assuming she just bit herself). She took out her phone and dialed 9-1-1. This is when things took and ugly turn.

    Immediately after she called the police, I put the dog back in the house, and stayed there. My dad and I did not want to interact with her until the police arrived. After about 20 minutes, they strolled up and started to question Sam about what had happened. She gave a sob story explaining how she had tried to lure the dog to say goodbye, when I came up and "chest bumped" her so hard she bit her lip. Because there was no where near enough damage to say that I just punched her.

    Excuse me..?

    When the police went to talk to me about what had happened, I explained to them she had never asked to "lure" the dog. I chased after her in fear she would take him. I had also mentioned my previous thread, and how people advised me to keep the dog in my possession.

    By the end of all of this, my dad, myself, and Sam were all written up under an incident report stating something like this: "Sam had lured the dog into her possession, when (myself) went after her in an act of pursuit. In the process of the pursuit, (myself) had chest bumped her, causing her to bite her lip."

    The officer had explained if a situation had ever to happen again, all of us would be leaving in hand cuffs.

    So now what I need help with:

    What do I do to protect myself from her? I don't know how to get an order of protection or anything like that, and I have a very very tight budget. My dad and I are just scraping by right now until next spring.

    Please help. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/SCMDebby
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal for it to be against company policy to talk about hourly pay?

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 03:55 PM PST

    My boyfriend just got in trouble for talking about the fact his paycheck was shorted $800 to his coworkers. We live in Texas and he is an assistant manager. The place he works has a group chat where one of his coworkers was asking if anyone else's paycheck was short and my boyfriend responded by saying his was short by $800. A couple hours later, he gets a call from his store manager saying that it was against company policy for any of the employees to talk about how much they get paid because everyone gets paid different amounts. I was wondering if this was legal.

    submitted by /u/beritscold
    [link] [comments]

    Wrongful death in the US

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 08:37 PM PST

    Hey all. So Christmas this year is going to be tough. My Nana died two months ago. She's the family matriarch and I was really close to her. She was only 56.

    Well, what happened is a few weeks prior (grapevine so I'm not sure exactly how long) a neighbor's dog ran her over, knocking her feet out from under her. Her leg was twisted the wrong way when she landed. Luckily, my Papa was there and had called 911. This is when it all went south.

    My Nana was still working at her local hospital. She'd been there longer than I've been alive. Everyone knew her there and her ailments. She asked to be sent to her hospital. The ambulance refused. They took her to a hospital 30~45 minutes past her home hospital, which was already an easy 45 minutes because they lived way out in the boonies.

    Once there, she never saw a doctor. A nurse came in, set her leg and told her to get out. Refused a doctor, no lab work or imaging was done. As a nurse, I guess she thought she would know if she needed to come back in again.

    One day, she woke up with difficulty walking and complaining of a numb face. She asked to be taken to the hospital, but didn't want the ambulance to take forever getting out there just to take her to the wrong place again. My sister, 15, was helping her to the car for Papa to drive her to the hospital.

    She collapsed. Papa tried to do CPR and kept it up while my sister called 911. She was DOA. I instantly knew what had happened. I knew it was that dog and that nurse. We were told autopsy would be 8~9 weeks though.

    I waited, mourned and gathered all her 1,000s of photos to scan and digitize for the family. We were all heart broken over her sudden death. Last week, I found out that I was right. As insane as I sounded, I was right. Because her leg wasn't properly set, a blood clot formed. The blood clot dislodged and travelled to her lungs. She suffocated in my sister's arms.

    From what I've heard, the dog was cruelly put down and the ambulance driver was fired. The dog's owners were not charged with negligence or dog at large, the ambulance company didn't pay anything for wrongful death, nor the hospital. My Papa is still fighting to receive her life insurance. This 64 year old man is being put through the ringer after his whole world was ripped away from him.

    My questions are A) who can we sue B) what would we sue for C) can I, as her granddaughter, sue on behalf of my Papa? Or is that only for "nuclear" family members?

    I know money won't bring her back or ease our pain, but it will set my Papa up for his final years. He's already retired, has his own health issues, and Nana was the one who gave him insurance. I'd also like to get her a headstone. No one had enough money to get one for her. Luckily, she already had a plot.

    Thanks in advance for everyone's advice and sorry for the sad story.

    Edit: My family lives on TX/OK border. I live on the OK/AR/MO border. Also to add to me questions, can I set my Papa as sole beneficiary of any payouts from neighbor, ambulance company, nurse and/or hospital? I don't want any of the kids to get it unless he decides to

    submitted by /u/AbjectSociety
    [link] [comments]

    Colorado: Tips are not being given directly to me or my coworkers but instead being pooled. However, on the last paycheck, a decent amount of us got $10 in tips despite being able to see that customers give much more than that

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 08:52 AM PST

    When the employer is asked about this, they say it's due to the change shorts in the drawer, or that they're saving them for bonuses (that none of us see). I read on the Colorado website that even when tips are pooled that the law "prohibits an employer from a claim to or control over an employees' gratuities."

    It is also my understanding that tip pools are meant to share the tips with kitchen staff, but more often than not, there is only one of us working at a time, so there is no kitchen staff to share with.

    I am wondering how the employer is getting away with not giving us the tips we earn

    submitted by /u/cloud_of_fluff
    [link] [comments]

    An affair is ruining my business

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 08:23 PM PST

    I have been a business owner for 10+ years. My business has a fantastic reputation online and in the community. The past several months, one of my employees (46F) has apparently been having an affair (which is none of my business and I don't want it to be) but unfortunately it has become my business. The girlfriend of the man she's been seeing is now harassing my business by leaving awful reviews on every social media platform possible.... detailing the affair. She is also getting friends to do it as well. As a business owner, I have nothing to do with this situation..... and she what she is doing it detrimental to my online presence. Is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/Annies231
    [link] [comments]

    My school wont give the award money i am supposed to get

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 12:04 AM PST

    I got an award in February of this year which included 1000 dollars. There were 4 schools included (including mine) and all other 3 schools have given the award to the students but not my school. Apparently the organisers have given money to all the schools including my school meaning my school is keeping the money. My school isnt goverment funded so it might have used the award money for their funding (just speculation) . My school have not given me the 1000 dollars. What should i do as a student in the school?

    The location is in singapore

    (sorry for bad english its not my 1st language) Edit: added the location

    submitted by /u/12345ineedalife
    [link] [comments]

    Update: Dusting Off An Old HOA Nobody Knew Existed? (MI)

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 09:13 PM PST

    Original here: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/edzj83/dusting_off_hoa_nobody_knew_existed/

    Everybody here was so helpful I wanted to provide a quick follow up.

    I stopped by the township offices today to check for any deed restrictions, and the clerks there were aware of the kerfuffle already. Small town. The township supervisor invited me back to his office, and we chatted about the HOA. While I was there, another resident who lives on the lake just happened in, and ended up joining us. He had a copy of the by-laws.

    Short story, the HOA is simply not a legal entity. I am almost embarrassed for the old woman who wrote them, but it turns out her heart was in the right place even if she's not quite right in the head.

    Longer story: The developers went bankrupt and the HOA was dissolved at that time. The community areas were purchased by the township, and they maintain them. (Not very effectively, but nobody is complaining about that.) I mentioned that I was only aware of 2 public areas? Turns out the other two are also lake access points. So there is a small empty lot, designated as a park, and 3 right-of-ways we non-lakefront owners can use to access the lake.

    The other resident explained that there is a new lake home being built on a lot that abuts the northern-most right of way, and apparently that has one of the elderly residents absolutely convinced that they're going to take away that public access. She is the resident that "started" the HOA. Note that she already lives on the lake, she's just trying to keep it open for everybody. So it's hard to stay mad, but then again I haven't had to deal with her face-to-face.

    The Township supervisor told us that he is going to try to reason with her, and that we don't need to retain counsel at this point. It would take a majority of property owners to vote to revive the old HOA.

    And that we should absolutely not pay any dues or fees.

    Having said that, I wanted to again say thank you for your help. I was able to discuss several points intelligently thanks in no small part to the guidance I received, and I very much appreciate the time and advice.

    submitted by /u/2LisaG
    [link] [comments]

    $18,682 lawsuit

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 05:22 PM PST

    I was in a car accident with a rental car back in November of 2018. All parties walked away mostly unscathed but both cars were totaled. She sped up a hill going well over the city speed limit (35-40 in a 25). While I fully stopped at my stop sign and was in the intersection, she sped and t-boned me. I got a ticket for failing to yield. My insurance went up, fine. She got a ticket for speeding and driving without insurance. Today, I got a letter stating I'm being sued for $18,682. Her medical clai8it was over $12k but she was fine. I cant afford a lawyer, what can I do?

    submitted by /u/thedevilsleftnutsack
    [link] [comments]

    Diagnosed cancer free grandpa has latr stage cancer

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 09:55 PM PST

    My grandfather's doctor refused to diagnose him with cancer due to his blood tests. He has every sign of having cancer. Grandfather is in constant pain enough so that he could eat and severe weight loss. Parents had him admitted to the hospital and they discovered he had cancer bad enough that it spread to his lungs. Should parent try using for malpractice? (Kansas)

    submitted by /u/cj3910
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment