• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 5, 2019

    Legal Advice - My (f25) conspiracy theorist mother plans on moving with my sister (f17) out of the country. We currently live in Ohio.

    Legal Advice - My (f25) conspiracy theorist mother plans on moving with my sister (f17) out of the country. We currently live in Ohio.


    My (f25) conspiracy theorist mother plans on moving with my sister (f17) out of the country. We currently live in Ohio.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 05:17 AM PST

    Backstory: For the last few years, my mom has been spiraling deeper and deeper down the "conspiracy theory" rabbit hole. At this point, it's everything from 9/11, to chemtrails, to Illuminati, to the moon landing being fake. My mom believes that within the next 2 years, the government is going to eliminate 2/3 of the US population by forcing us into concentration camps. They will start by starving us (by controlling the weather and killing off our plants/animals) and then revoking all passports. After we're "trapped," they will start rounding us up. Long story short, she is making plans to pull my sisters out of college/high school, abandon our house, and move to somewhere in Central or South America before they revoke passports. She also wants to do this ASAP because "they will crash the value of the dollar soon, so we need to buy property before then."

    My youngest sister Maggie is 17, and she does not want to go. The problem is that she doesn't turn 18 until August of 2020, which is after mom plans to leave. My main question is, can my mom legally force her onto a plane? My follow up question is, can Maggie get emancipated? From what I can find online, I don't think Ohio allows minors to emancipate themselves. I am more than willing to take her in, but I'm assuming my mom could just call the police to bring her home?

    Any advice is welcome.

    submitted by /u/quiet_as_snow
    [link] [comments]

    I'm being raped on a vessel sailing international waters. Help.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 08:09 PM PST

    I'm an apprentice officer on a container ship and I'm being sexually abused by the captain.

    This is the post I uploaded on r/rape for those who are interested. People were very supportive and encouraged me to further seek advise, so here am I...

    I'm a Greek national, the captain's russian, and the ship's registry is Marshall islands and the incidents happened in international waters. I'm in desperate need of help and barley holding it together, but I don't know what kind of help to look for. What kind of lawyer should I be looking for? What should I do in the meantime? Thank you so much.

    Edit: Bot tells me I need to include my location. I already did, but things happend in international waters.

    UPDATE: Thank you all SO SO MUCH for your warm support and advice, I really needed this. I was skeptical, even hesitant in the beginning but this turns out to be the very best choice I have made in a few weeks. I am literally sobbing while on duty and I am so grateful.

    I decided to first contact the Greek Consulate on the matter as per your advice. I will also checkout all the links you have posted. Please keep me in your prayers and I hope this really works out.

    ......................................

    Please ignore the following phrases. I'm just doing this because I really need the post to work. The incident happened in Greece. The incident happened in Russia. The incident happend in the Marshall Islands. I am in Greece. I am in Russia. I am in the Marshall Islands.

    submitted by /u/agnes1215
    [link] [comments]

    Is This Allowed These Days?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 07:53 PM PST

    I own a small business in one of the larger cities in California. It's a small, quiet boutique spa. We keep relaxing spa music playing quietly in the background. One Wednesday a few weeks back, a very expensive SUV (USSV Rhino XT) pulled-in to a parallel parking meter outside a small market about 50-feet from the front door to my shop. The "music" was blaring full blast. Not really music though - lots of 'n' words and 'f' words. Extremely offensive. I assumed, incorrectly, that the driver was just stopping into the market, and would be leaving soon. After 15 or 20 minutes, music still blaring, i stepped outside hoping to speak with the vehicle owner. Surprise! There was nobody in or near the vehicle. The windows were rolled down, and as I may have mentioned, the music was on full volume. I went back to my shop and kept an eye on that SUV. After more than two hours the owner came back. He looked to be a young man in his mid-20's Good, I thought. He'll be leaving now. I was wrong again. He hung out on the sidewalk outside his SUV with a constantly changing group of young men for at least another hour. Music still full blast. After another hour, or so, i walked out and politely asked him to turn his music down. "Sure thing" he said. "Thanks for asking respectfully." He turned the music down and drove away soon after. The next morning he parked directly outside the front door to my business - music blasting loudly. I didnt see him arrive, just heard the loudness. I went outside, and same as yesterday there was nobody in our near the vehicle. Windows rolled down, speakers at full volume. Again, after about two hours, I saw him walking back toward his SUV. I approached him saying "Hey. I thought we talked about..." Then BANG! I was tasered. Two barbs in the chest from about 3 feet away. I lost part of a second or two, then snapped back, rolling and flopping on the sidewalk from the electrical current from his Taser. I reached with my right hand to pull out one of the barbs, then lost control of my right arm from the current coming off of the barb. People walked by on the sidewalk looking down at me. My assailant hopped up into his SUV and drove away. The electrical current stopped. I got to my feet, walked back into my shop and called 911. This was all captured on video by my shop's security camera. Questions: 1. Am I correct that this was a felony assault? I haven't heard anything from the police since my initial report. It has not been reported in local news, but the District Attorney's office sent me a packet for victims of violent crime. 2. Can I sue in civil court? Do I need to wait until after a criminal trial (assuming that ever happens)? 3. What else should I consider?

    submitted by /u/PearlsB4
    [link] [comments]

    "sorry, we're looking for female housekeepers only"

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 01:35 PM PST

    Got rejected after frantically trying to call a hotel back cuz the call cut off. They called me 2 hours later and said "sorry, we're looking for female housekeepers only, the jobs not a fit for you".

    Idk much about legality, but that doesn't sound like it's Ok lol? What should I do? Just move on?

    Ontario Canada.

    submitted by /u/haqm7107
    [link] [comments]

    My employer informed me they’ve overpaid me $12,000 this year and want me to pay it back. [IL]

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 09:10 PM PST

    I'm 28yrs and live and work in Illinois. My HR person informed me today they recognized a payroll error after an audit. The options presented were to either write them a single check for $12k in 2019 or have the amount evenly deducted from my paycheck over the course of 12 months in 2020. If I leave the company I will need to repay the remaining amount.

    Currently, I have $18k in savings, which I worked hard at saving despite having to deal with over $6k of medical expenses this year. However, paying $12k will wipe my savings, which makes me feel very sad and angry bc it wasn't my mistake. Paying it back over 12 months would force me to stay at the company. I've actually been planning to quit because the business is not profitable, poor work life balance, and I've been unhappy there. I felt comfortable with my savings of what I thought was enough to travel solo for a few months to reset my mind. But now that's not possible.

    A couple things raise red flags for me. I asked why they didn't catch it earlier and said they didn't recognize the error until the audit. Shouldn't there be more audits than once at the end of the year? I would have been fine if they told me this like 2 months in but a whole year?? I I asked if I was the only one who had the error and they said yes. My HR person said she needs to talk with our legal team to draft a contract for me to sign that I agree with repaying. I haven't signed anything yet.

    I'm also concerned about additional implications I'm not thinking about like taxes. If I was being paid more, that means I was also taxed more? So it doesn't seem like it would make sense id pay back this amount.

    Am I allowed to ask for a detailed breakdown of what I owe minus taxes? Is there is any legal protection or claim I could make to keep at least some money? It's not like I was lavishly living above my means or anything. I wasn't aware I was being paid more and didn't do anything malicious. I have incurred a lot of medical expenses, which normally but be stressful but I was able to afford these expenses comfortably. What steps are recommended to make sure I cover my bases?

    submitted by /u/markp9114
    [link] [comments]

    Gym re-curring charge of $550 I did not agree to

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 06:10 AM PST

    Hi.

    Location: New brunswick, Canada

    Do I have any grounds for legal action?

    I signed up for 8 personal training sessions on Nov 5th, 2019. I explained my employer gives me $500/yr to spend on fitness and that's all I want to spend. Which package is best for me? They recommended the 8 sessions which came to $480 + tax ($552) which I bought.

    I signed waivers, etc regular stuff when I signed up and I paid the $552 in full on Nov 5th on my credit card.

    Dec 4th (29 days after I signed up) I noticed they charged my card again for $552 on Dec 2nd (27 days after I signed up). Assuming it was a mistake I went in and told them, asked to be reimbursed as I don't plan to continue the personal training sessions, etc

    They said I needed the give 30 days written communication to stop the charges. 30 days written communication would have been Nov 2nd. 3 days before I signed up for the first 8 sessions.

    I was never given a contract, etc. Now they're saying I have one. I do not have access to it. I've emailed them for a copy and they have not provided it.

    I've already submitted a dispute claim on my credit card, I'm waiting for them to get back to me. I've also cancelled the card.

    What else can I do? I've contacted different lawyer offices but they don't seem to want to help and I'm not sure what area of law I should be targetting.

    I've since uncovered many other people who've had similar complaints with the owner. Can I recruit them to tackle this together?

    submitted by /u/Chantottie
    [link] [comments]

    (TX) My landlord has sent his strange nephew to perform construction on the garage unit. Today I discovered 2 guitars missing from the adjacent room. I don't want this man back on my property.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 08:32 PM PST

    The landlord requested he needed to knockout three walls and repair the roof of the garage unit. He sent one man to do it all, and is also using him to repair a plumbing problem in the unit (It has a bathroom). The landlord told me this nephew recently was homeless and I quote "Down on his luck", and apparently sleeping on someones floor. Today after the worker left, I went into the personal room of the garage unit to discover 2 of our guitars missing. I confronted them over the phone and they swear he did not take it, and the landlord is believing his nephews story, but I have filed a police report anyway. He had never told me beforehand that he would be sending the weird nephew to do all the repair work, and I now feel this person is dangerous.

    TL;DR My question is how do I go about telling the landlord that he must send professional qualified people to repair the building and plumbing, and that the weirdo is not allowed back under any circumstance? The city is Corpus Christi if that helps.

    submitted by /u/rentalproperty2
    [link] [comments]

    [Update] Hallucinating mother had our apartment swatted with us in it, we called non-emergency, do we press criminal charges?

    Posted: 04 Dec 2019 10:20 PM PST

    https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/e54ib8/my_hallucinating_mother_had_our_apartment_swatted/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    Previous post linked above

    In California.

    Many people told me in the comments of my previous post that we should call non-emergency and see if they can put some type of note or report on our address or names that basically says that this is an ongoing problem and to take it with a grain of salt. We tried this, here's what happened.

    So tonight my brother called our county's sheriff department to see what could be done about the false report made by our mother. They told us there is nothing they can do, there's no way they can put in a note or report that we have a mentally ill mother that calls the police frequently over false scenarios, and that if she reports another crime they have to respond appropriately and if they come here again to not have anything in our hands, comply with orders and not talk over their orders but explain the situation when appropriate. They said however that we could choose to press criminal charges against her for making a false report.

    My question to the legal advice subreddit is, should we press criminal charges?

    Will this actually prevent these types of incidents from happening in the future, will they get her mental help ASAP, or will this just get her fined and maybe put in jail for a few days? If it's the latter, I don't think it's really worth it as it would just cause more drama, if her mental issues are exacerbated by stress (which I'm pretty sure all mental issues are) then it would just make things way worse and fix nothing. Is there another way that we can use this incident to prove that she is a danger to us immediately that my brother wasn't informed about over the phone that will get us out of harms way very quickly and prevent future swattings, or would it be a long process that would leave us hanging in that time? Would we be better off just moving somewhere else this/next week and cutting all ties?

    Right now our priority is keeping ourselves safe. We are quite frankly, scared shitless. Longer term legal advice is also welcome but I would like to stress that our priority is currently our safety in this moment and I'd love to know how we could best go about ensuring that, legally speaking.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/youlooklikejohny
    [link] [comments]

    Previous employee is hindering my ability to find a new job

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 01:01 PM PST

    I work in a clinical laboratory and my old company was extremely toxic. Low pay, too much work, no appreciation and plenty of infighting. Basically corporate america at its worst. After a year, I put in my two week notice, said goodbye and walked away. I didn't have another job lined up but I had six months of savings and felt pretty comfortable I would find another job quickly since I work in a high demand field. I didn't. It has been almost 4 months with a few interviews but no offers.

    Out of nowhere a different coworker reached out to me to let me know that another co-worker (who apparently still talked about me 3 months after I left) had pulled her aside and given her very specific details about my search, including naming every person I had listed as a reference. She told her that she had reached out to all her connections in other laboratories in the city to let them know I was looking and to call her should they get my application. She has been the reason, I haven't been hired despite being fully qualified and in a high demand profession. She all but admitted it and was really smug when she bragged that she has the power to get anyone hired or fired if she wanted.

    What can I do? I'm considering reaching out to the employers who rejected me requesting specific reasoning for the rejection. Can I sue her or send a cease and desist letter? Can I reach out the HR's to let them know that she has a personal vendetta? I need a job to support my family and I don't have the energy to be dragged back to the petty toxicity of my old work. How do I fix this?

    submitted by /u/ahemlegal
    [link] [comments]

    College closed down, "can't find" my transcript

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 09:09 AM PST

    I attended school for almost 3 years, completing over 200 units. The school closed down because of funding issues. The company that the school gave the student records to can't find any of my academic records. The school I'm trying to transfer to is only taking 16 of my 200+ units and needs my official transcripts to finalize registration. What do I do? (California, US)

    submitted by /u/pantsofshameface
    [link] [comments]

    Will that granted myself possession of a family home changed on my grandmother's death bed.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 02:23 PM PST

    Right, so, context I suppose helps.

    Canada, Quebec. My grandmother's will was changed 1 week before she passed. Original will the entire family knew about named myself and my sisters and the sole recipients of the home. She had late stage ALS, was physically incapable of using a straw, let alone sign her name. My sister and Aunt had shared power of attorney for her, my sister was named as executor of the will and I was secondary Executor in the event of her untimely death.

    Following my Grandmother's 2 strokes 5 and 3 years ago respectively, her will was changed to give possession of the family home to myself and my sisters. Following her diagnosis of ALS several months ago, it was reaffirmed that we would receive the house as we wanted to use it to secure our family and that was my grandmother's wish before her days of passing, and on the day she passed. It was expressed as her only wish to us.

    My aunt, and uncle, (her children) came with lawyers to her hospital room and had her sign a new will that gave them both everything. They had a lawyer come in and have a woman, who couldn't even form a full sentence due to the failure of muscles in her entire body, sign a will, that as far as the rest of the family knows, was against her final and only wishes. Situation being, she was still of sound mind. Just incapable of signing anything. Both before the ALS due to her strokes, and after.

    The way we know this was done in secret is because my mother walked in on them in the process. While my aunt was using my grandmother's hand to sign the paperwork. My mother also found papers with practiced signatures that she sadly did not keep. A week or so later, my grandmother passed at 0100 Oct 25. We are now finding out about these actual changes via my aunt serving my sister a verbal eviction notice (I know its not actually quite valid). My sister was never notified about the will reading, nor anyone else but my aunt and uncle.

    Furthermore, over my grandmother's dead body that night, and at the funeral, my sister was promised by my aunt and uncle, both that the will had not been changed and we would all be safe. Clearly a lie.

    My family now has 1 month to move out from the Triplex and we are told by them we have no claim to the home. A home that 4 generations have grown up in, a home that was always meant to be in the family is now being sold out from under us to an unknown party. The value of the home was ovr $800k CAD in downtown Montreal and we know for a fact that my grandmother's dying words were that we would be okay.

    Is there any legal standing we have to stand on in terms of Estate Law or contesting the will? Does it get tossed out the window because my grandmother was of sound mind? I'm in the works for contacting a lawyer to look into litigation but I don't want to dig myself into a hole that has no standing. We have her sister, my cousins, family friends and my close family (Brother, sisters, mother and myself) that can attest to the verity of it all.

    I'd even spoken to my grandmother about the things we were going to do to the house and she was happy for me to have such great plans for our family and that she was proud of us for being so willing.

    Aside from being clearly disgusted, I want to know if anyone has any experience dealing with things of this nature, or if anyone has contacts for lawyers that could deal with this in the Pembroke, Ontario area as that's where I live.

    If one from Quebec is required, I can also work with that.

    EDIT, 1725hr: I've just now also been updated that in this secret meeting with lawyers, my sister was pushed out as executor and liquidator. Nobody as yet has been shown the will or had it given to us. My aunt and uncle will not allow anyone near anything.

    EDIT 2140hr: My aunt and uncle have broken into the bottom floor which belonged to my grandmother and changed the locks. We originally had them changed to bar anyone from taking what they want outside the will and they have now (what I believe) broken and entered illegally despite what their will says.

    EDIT 2307hr: All other recipients of the will have been notified of their "benefits". My sisters, brother, and I have been notified of nothing, thus the assumption is made that we have been written out of their will.

    submitted by /u/FantasticalSuperNova
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate Stole My Cat And Has Threatened To Hurt Me Over Her. What Can I Do?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 03:52 PM PST

    Copying from another subreddit - was told you all would have some good advice for me.

    Hello. I'm 20, I live in ATX. I have a roommate who I am moving away from - for many reasons. But one including my cat. I rescued her from a local animal shelter and I have microchipped her in my name and I have her adoption papers. My roommate took her as well as her vaccine records to her parents house and I have not seen my cat in 3 weeks.

    I am worried. One night she threatened to "fuck me up" and "legitimately kill me" if I took my cat away from her. She believes that my cat belongs to her because she really likes her and thinks she is super cute. I'm scared to go into her parents place and take her back, because I have no doubt she will cause severe physical harm to me if I do. It's the only reason I haven't gotten her yet.

    What can I do here?

    submitted by /u/driveLA
    [link] [comments]

    Mother who neglected me as a child suing for grandparent visitation

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 01:51 AM PST

    I am located in Ohio.

    My apologies if anything I write is unclear, it's 4 in the morning and I have been unable to sleep since this whole situation started.

    I received a court summons today from my own mother, demanding visitation rights to my grandchildren. I believe this would not be in the best interest of my children due to the fact that she neglected me to the point of causing permanent emotional damage when I was a child under her care. She has also admitted to using elicit drugs (MDMA and LSD), even repeatedly offering them to me after I made it clear I was not and would never be interested, and I have seen it firsthand being stored in her home. Furthermore, she constantly undermines my parental authority, yells at me in front of my children, and generally has no ability to maintain a healthy relationship with me despite years of repeated efforts on my end to make amends. There are some other more minor reasons but these are the major deciding factors that have led me to the conclusion that being around her would not be in the best interests of my children. They are only one year old and have never lived with her, thus there is no established parental bond. I provide fully for my children. I make more than enough to support them, working from home so I have 24/7 care of them. I cook them three meals a day and spend all day every day caring for them. I'm in no way unfit to parent them.

    I've done extensive research and would like to think I have adequate reasons to deny her request for visitation, however I am only 20 and have never been to court before. On the summons it says I have to file an answer, but there is no explanation of how to write one and despite all of my research I cannot find any examples or templates or even basic instructions. I am very concerned she will somehow win the case and I'll be forced to allow her to be around my children. I also feel I do not have much evidence to prove my claims, although people who know me can confirm I've had the same story for years, because most of our communications are in person, not in writing. At this point I just want to be able to peacefully cease contact with her, as she has proven herself to be a toxic person in my life time and time again.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    submitted by /u/WitheredFlowers
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord carried out an inspection with 1 hour's notice after I told her I did not want anyone in the house when I'm not there

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 09:38 AM PST

    I had an email from my letting agents this morning saying that the owner of the flat I'm renting would be carrying out an inspection today and that I should contact them if I had any problem with this.

    My partner and I have lived happily in this property for 15 months and have never had an inspection. In our contract it states that if an inspection were to be carried out we would be given at least 24 hours notice and we can refuse entry if 24 hours notice isn't given. I did a quick Google (I know Google isn't always right, but I was desperate!) search earlier which also says 24 hours notice must be given to tenants and if it is not then I'm well within my rights to refuse entry (unless of course they suspect criminal activity etc).

    I contacted the letting agents as soon as the email came through and told them they will need to arrange to come either when I'm home from work or on my next day off as I hadn't been given notice of inspection and I was not happy with them coming when myself or my partner aren't there. The woman on the phone said that was fine and told the landlady while I was still on the phone. An hour later my partner drives past our home whilst working and sees the landlady and 2 other people entering our home.

    They were made aware of the fact that I refused entry and would be happy to comply with the inspection tomorrow in 24 hours time.

    Is there anything I can do such as filing a complaint or something more serious? Would I actually have a leg to stand on or am I on the wrong here? I'm furious that they entered the property when I asked them not to and I don't know what to do!

    This is in the UK and it's a very small, independent letting agents.

    submitted by /u/katielyall
    [link] [comments]

    CO trespassing charge with intent to hunt

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 08:39 PM PST

    Some context, we were elk hunting public ground, BLM specifically, we were following property lines and staying on public ground using our GPS and an app on our phones. We went in and were putting up markers where we could hunt because we thought we had figured out a way to get on elk in public land. We had talked with the ranch owner to the ranch that borders the BLM to let them know where we were hunting even going so far as to show them on the gps where we were planning on sitting. They said that's fine and that we just needed to stay off their property and if an elk runs into their property we had to call them before we could go into their property. They gave us their contact info and wished us good luck.

    My nephew and I went down and marked the property lines with orange tape and stayed off the private property. The next morning we were sitting above this area waiting to see if anything came in. And an outfitter drives up next to us and has 4 guys get out and start making a ton of noise being very belligerent. They looked at us as they did it and were only 30 yards from us they leave after making all their noise next to us and drive up onto the private property. About 10 minutes later a game warden drives up. We tell him about our run in with the outfitter and he says he knows the guy and knows he can act like that every now and then. He asks us where we went and we show him exactly where we went and show him our gps. He then leaves after he says that he is looking for a different vehicle and someone reported that someone trespassed and possibly poached an elk off the private property we were next to. About 25 minutes later we are driving out of the area and the same game warden blocks the road in order to stop us.

    The game warden then tells us we have to show him on our gps where we were again. We comply and tell him exactly where we were show him our gps and show him the property lines and where we were on the BLM not private property. The game warden then goes back to his truck and says he has to check where the property lines are. He is in his truck for about 20 minutes and is on the phone with the outfitter ( where we were we could see the outfitter call someone on a phone and the game warden answer his phone at the same time). The game warden then gets out and tells us we were on private property and the outfitter wants to press charges against us. He says he has no choice and has to press charges on their behalf and has to write us trespassing tickets. We were given criminal trespassing with intent to hunt on private property tickets. This is also an automatic 20 points which can lead to losing all hunting and fishing privileges for an amount of time a hearing committee for game and fish determines.

    As you can imagine this ruined our hunt. We packed up and left that day. We were never wanting to trespass or break any laws. Come to find out we called the BLM office for the area, and they gave us the system they use to identify BLM lands and we were never on the private property their map matches our GPS exactly not only that, but the game wardens also use our exact same gps program to determine property lines. We were given tickets and had our hunt ruined for what seems like a game warden helping out an outfitter friend of his. We have court in January. Should I be consulting a lawyer, and is there anything I can do against the outfitter for lying about us being on private land. Can I get the charges dropped? How can a game warden do something like this? What should my next steps be?

    submitted by /u/wood100
    [link] [comments]

    Newegg ships me a PC over $400 less in value compared to the PC I ordered.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 04:22 PM PST

    I bought a PC from Newegg around two weeks before Thanksgiving, as they were having a really nice sale on the Skytech Blaze II with the 2070 super. That said, I was really happy to receive it a couple days later, only to find out that it was a completely different PC. It was still a Skytech PC, but instead of the 550 GB SSD and the 2070 Super, I quickly realized that it instead had a 1 TB HDD and RTX 1050. Anyone who knows about GPUs would know that the GPU alone is already a ~$300 difference.

    I shipped the PC back to Newegg on the same day, (NYC to CA btw), and they received it for inspection two Fridays ago. The normal inspection time is supposed to be 3-5 days, but it took them 9 days for mine, and only for me to hear back that the PC I shipped back to them had a different serial number than the one they shipped to me.

    I returned the PC with the original packaging, and now they're telling me there's nothing they can do about it and is sending the PC back to with no refunds.

    What can I do about this situation?

    submitted by /u/rainpyro
    [link] [comments]

    My child was tricked into eating weed treats, school/police are arresting students and threatening drug testing tomorrow.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 04:19 PM PST

    Ill try to make this is short but as detailed as possible.

    Florida Middle School, My child and all children involved are in the 6th grade.

    My child was in a school building about 20 minutes before the bell rang with her friends waiting to head to class. During this period of time a girl in a different group of friends made contact with my child and offered a rice Krispy Treat. My child accepted and ate 1 bite of said treat before his friends spoke up saying it had weed in it and my child threw the rest on the ground.

    The girl that gave my child the treat attempted to sell said treats and when she couldn't she started tricking children into eating. A few children ate it knowing it was a marijuana edible so not all were "tricked". While I was at the front office the girls sister showed up from the high school down the street and come to find out she was the one who made them and told her sister to sell them at the middle school. So far all I know is the youngest of the sisters was arrested at the end of the school day. I don't know what happened if anything to her sister who made them.

    The others who ate the edibles were called into the office and we do not know what has happened to them as of yet.

    Back to my child, let's call him John. John text me asap after taking the bite of the edible. I immediately dropped what I was doing and took him out of the school and home. In his text he mentioned he was starting to freak out and I didn't want him to experience an edible high while being interrogated by the school and police so I got him out of there ASAP like within 10 minutes of his text we were home. At the time no one in the office knew my child was involved so they didn't object to me taking him out. It's pretty clear by now that the school knows who all was involved and I'm assuming John will be called in the office first thing.

    Ok so heres the legal question I have… We live in an illegal state. I am a daily smoker. Kids are texting John saying the school will be drug testing tomorrow to see who all ate the edibles. Can we plead 5th to a school and deny any drug testing? Do I send John to school and go with the flow? Do I go in with my child and explain the situation and why I took him out of school early? Do I do keep him out tomorrow and meet with my attorney?

    I'll be honest if I'm trying to avoid the attorney route, but I have been on the wrong side of the law in my past and I know that's probably the best bet... I'm hoping for other options.

    Edit: Added state.

    submitted by /u/throwawaysthrowawayg
    [link] [comments]

    Health insurance provider kept paying claims after I stopped being covered by them - am I obligated to reimburse them? (Washington)

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 08:38 PM PST

    I changed jobs last year, and so naturally, my health insurance provider changed as well, from provider R to provider U. The pharmacy auto-refills our prescriptions, and they billed Provider R for refills after we stopped being covered under Provider R. Provider R paid the claims anyway.

    Now, Provider R is sending me a letters saying:

    Your coverage with us recently ended. Upon review, we have identified some prescriptions that were filled after your coverage ended.

    We are requesting reimbursement for the prescription coverage we provided after your insurance ended.

    Am I obligated to reimburse them?

    My gut instinct is that it's their responsibility to deny claims if they don't want to pay them, and that the verbiage of this letter indicating that this is a request for reimbursement means that I can decline that request.

    It's not an exorbitant amount of money, but as a matter of principle, I feel like their failure to decline claims for non-covered parties is their problem, not mine.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/juiceboxzero
    [link] [comments]

    My [19F] Mother is Refusing To Get Rid of My Medical Records She Obtained Without My Consent

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 12:27 PM PST

    Hi,

    I [19F] am currently a college student and live on my own, on my university's health insurance that my financial aid pays for. I grew up with an emotionally and sometimes physically abusive mother. It was never too bad, she was just very cold and unforgiving and did not express affection for anyone (one time when I was 7 and asked her for a hug and her responses was "why?" to give you an idea). When I was 17 and at the beginning of my senior year of high school, I had been the victim of harassment for many months at school, with it coming to a head when a physical altercation happened on campus with my harasser. My mom decided to then put me in therapy where I was diagnosed with PTSD. Unknown to me, my therapist shared with my mom that I may have aspergers and suggested that I get tested for it by a psychologist.

    My mom scheduled a test for me with a psychologist, but did not tell me I was getting tested for autism or aspergers. Instead, she told me it was routine for people who suffer from things like PTSD so my therapist could use it to form a treatment plan. The psychiatrist had a meeting with my parents where she explained the results of that test. I did not know the psychiatrist was going to do that, she had just gone ahead and did it, and if I had been asked I would have said no, I am not comfortable with my mother having that information.

    The results of that test to this day have not been shared with me. As far as I know, I do not have autism or aspergers. However, my mom has a physical copy of the results that she keeps hidden in her house. I have expressed to her that I do not want her to have these results, that they are my results and that I want them, to which she refuses to do. I then said "can you destroy them then? I do not want you having them." To which she refuses again, and she claims she has the right to have them because I was under 17 at the time so HIPPA does not apply.

    I am not comfortable with my mother having these results. She has lied to multiple authority figures about me in an attempt to make my life harder (she called 911 and told them I assaulted my dad, when cops showed up at my houses my dad told them I did not and they left, she told a psychiatrist I was seeing lies about my behaviors and then tried to get the psychiatrist to put me on a heavier medication, she lied to the school I was attending about the harassment situation and I ended up getting suspended because she told the school not to believe my side of the story). I am afraid of what she will do with these records and the power she has with them.

    She has also shared the results of this test with my family members, however not with me. My twin sister has confirmed this with me on multiple occasions. I would not have consented to this being done as well.

    I live in my own apartment, am apart of a sorority, have decent grades, and work part time, and would say generally my mental health is a lot better than it was when I was living with her. I have taken steps to distances myself, and currently do not talk to her. I see a therapist once a week but I would say I am mentally stable and have a really good support system in case anything happens. I have not done anything that would suggest I am struggling mentally, either. However, I cannot afford a lawyer, although I have been getting referrals for one. I am not even sure she is breaking the law, and I am not sure what I can do.

    Edit: I am in California

    submitted by /u/donutfan420
    [link] [comments]

    HOA management company messed up and we are now unable to sell our condo

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 09:16 AM PST

    Will try and just state the facts. My wife and I own a condo in Colorado. Building has 17 units. I am one of 3 on our HOA. 3 years ago we hired a management company to basically handle all aspects of the building, we 3 are basically just there for voting purposes. We have a rule in our by-laws stating we are not allowed to cross 50% rentals (people like to rent their units out) as that seriously affects our valuations as we can no longer offer FHA and VA loans.

    About once a year we would get an email from the management company saying a unit is interested in renting and that we are currently at 7 rentals so there is room for one more. It wasn't until recently that we realized all their emails always would say we are at 7. Last month they said the same thing and we realized this and did a head count and learned that we are at 10 of 17 rentals, over the allowed 8.

    We have scheduled a meeting with the management company after the holidays to discuss this and what can be done. To add insult to injury the last 2 units to rent are the other 2 HOA members and there is no way they will go along with a vote requiring them to move back into their units.

    My wife and I are certainly not happy about this. We were actually planning on selling in the spring but now are likely not able to afford a new home as we needed the money from selling the condo.

    Can anyone help? We have saved all emails ever sent between us and the company.

    submitted by /u/hoptothejam
    [link] [comments]

    Abandoned vehicle Alberta, Canada

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 02:47 PM PST

    I am currently trying to find a solution to an issue that has come up at the dealership I work at. A customer had left his van with our service department for repairs (upwards of 4 grand worth) He unfortunately passed away before he could pick the van up.

    I have contacted his family but they don't seem to care that his van is here and they claim they do not know who the executor is or who would now own the van.

    We offered to take possession of the van in trade for the bill owing for repairs but again none of the customers family seems to know anything about who actually owns the van.

    Any info on how to proceed would be appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SeeyaLaterAllegory90
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice on letting a friend live with me for 6mo-1yr

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 09:37 PM PST

    I live in Florida, they live in Texas. My friend has been going through some rough times financially and is currently in the process of being evicted since his roommate had an emergency and needed to break their lease. I've offered him a place to crash until he can get back on his feet and have some stability. I'm currently renting a 2b/1br condo, and would charge him less than half the rent to have one of the bedrooms.

    I know there can be legal issues if a roommate won't leave and you can't kick them out because they're technically a tenant now, so I'm hoping to avoid a situation like that. (For the record, I think something like that would be highly unlikely, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.)

    What are some things I should think about and do before he moves in? What are some things he should think about and do? I've already let my landlady know and she was cool with it. Do I need to update our contract, or just make a new one between myself and my friend?

    submitted by /u/AninOnin
    [link] [comments]

    Mail forwarding company is holding my package hostage

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 06:14 AM PST

    Hello All,

    I tried shipping a battery from the US to France through a mail forwarding service. I verified with them beforehand that they'd be able to do it and they said yet (I have multiple emails confirming this)

    When I finally got it to them in in Florida and shipped all my stuff (including the bike it powers), they held it back and said it could only be shipped with the equipment it powers. Unfortunately, they didn't hold back the bike and shipped that. Then, they offered me a reimbursement on the battery, but in later emails said they wouldn't offer that.

    Is there anything I can do? If I have a new bike shipped to them or just discard the battery and buy a new one I'm down $1k.

    TLDR; Shipping company said they could ship a bike battery then said they couldn't... then offered me a reimbursement then changed course.

    submitted by /u/lor4x
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment