• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 19, 2019

    Legal Advice - I got an “interview” and it turned out to be a pyramid scheme where they claimed I could make a ton of money if I bought in. How can I report them even though I signed a non-disclosure agreement.

    Legal Advice - I got an “interview” and it turned out to be a pyramid scheme where they claimed I could make a ton of money if I bought in. How can I report them even though I signed a non-disclosure agreement.


    I got an “interview” and it turned out to be a pyramid scheme where they claimed I could make a ton of money if I bought in. How can I report them even though I signed a non-disclosure agreement.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 04:15 AM PST

    I'm sure you guys are familiar with pyramid schemes, they invite you to what looks like a job interview but they want you to buy their services so you can "make money off of it." The whole seminar was around five hours and the first four hours were training which felt really off because it was clear he didn't have any sales experience because he was reading off of a book and was pointing at stock photos and would say stuff like "look at how happy they are." In the final hour he had us do some math and told us this the amount that we could make in a month(which was a preposterous amount). I've been vague on a lot of the specific details because of the non-disclosure agreement I signed and it has had me worrisome since I signed it thinking it was one of the steps to get the job but now I've realize it was a way for them to hide their scheme...but I want to expose them anyway. I'm not a lawyer but I do aspire to be one so I am familiar with some things when it comes to law and I feel like there could be a big caveat to it. The person who wrote was a law student who attended the seminar, he literally told us to thank her because they helped to write it together the day before. I'm not sure where I stand on how much I can talk about and I didn't read it very well so I assume to expose them I'd have to do it anonymously but I'm not sure where I can report them. If someone can show me a site or agency I can contact I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

    submitted by /u/hasan803001117
    [link] [comments]

    Stopped a $122 check because I found out the "cause" I wrote it for was a scam. A check cashers company sent me a letter saying I need to pay their company back the check amount. If I don't pay, could they pursue legal actions against me?

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 06:02 PM PST

    I just received a letter today regarding a check I stopped after finding out the guy I wrote it too was scamming me. He claimed to be in a partnership with a hospital and my apartment in which by selling magazines, he could make 50% commission. After he told me his situation and suckered me in with the "single father and struggling to put food on the table" talk I ended up writing him a check to his name as a gift order for $122. Two days after though I talked to my apartment office and they denied having any knowledge of any partnerships or dealings with door to door commissions. I called my bank and they closed my account to give me a new account and checkbook since the check I gave had all my personal information including a phone number I gave him. To be fair I should've seen all the red flags when he asked me to pay in cash and when he proposed that he wait at the apartment while I run out and pull money from an ATM.

    Today I received a letter from a check casher company saying that the check I wrote was returned unpaid. They said they qualified as a "HOLDER IN DUE COURSE". They are now demanding the full check amount with a $30 charge fee as well. They've also said that they will pursue all available legal remedies if the amount isn't paid in 10 days from the date of the notice. I called my bank and they said not to pay the money and then I called the check cashers company and they said they would take legal actions if I didn't pay.

    If I don't pay the amount on the check I wrote and signed, could the checks casher company pursue legal actions against me?

    Image of letter they sent me: https://imgur.com/a/9HAwZI6

    submitted by /u/XXLockhart08
    [link] [comments]

    Car shop gives false repair quote, then buys the car for cheap, finds out it was just a fuse...and keeps the car.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 06:02 PM PST

    Wife is a service writer for automotive,

    The most useless technician in her shop quoted a repair on a fully paid off low-mileage car, it's under a hundred thousand miles. The car belongs to a young couple. The shop she works for ended up offering to buy the vehicle for the cost of the repair bill which was less than $500, turns out they misdiagnosed it and it was just a fuse... The owner doesn't want her to call the customer, he wants to keep the car...

    My wife is leaving this job soon and she is sick to her stomach about this. She doesn't think she has any options and I don't know enough about Oregon law to know better. I just know it's wrong and the SOB owner needs to give those poor young kids their car back. I would rather see this car returned to its rightful owner then to have my wife employed for the next couple months before she leaves there... Money would be tight but I know it's the right thing to do any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TheMoralCentaur
    [link] [comments]

    A national chain used my photo in promotional advertising across the country for its ‘foundation’ without my consent.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 07:39 PM PST

    The promotional material has been cited in Alaska, Texas, Colorado, Massachusetts and Arizona. It was a photo taken of me at a pet adoption event where I volunteered through my local rescue. I never signed a waiver or gave consent to use my photo. My friend walked into one of the stores to see my face shining back at her and I had friends across the country check their local stores as well. Sure enough, I was there.

    Do I have any recourse? I would assume I should be compensated. If the foundation had hired a model from an agency, I'm sure they would be paid. This feels like an invasion or breach of privacy. Any advice, counselors?

    submitted by /u/shleeberry23
    [link] [comments]

    [NYC] Parole officer harassing me for my tenant who's her parolee

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 07:44 PM PST

    My 2nd floor tenant is on parole. He told his PO that I'm his cousin which is technically true(our grandparents are siblings).

    His PO has taken this to mean that I'm somehow his keeper even though we live in separate apartments in the same house. I've told her I never know where he is. I've told her I see him maybe once a week by pure chance.

    She bangs on the front door and on my first floor window. I've told her several times not to. I'm not on parole and I don't work for the parole board. I don't need my sleep, dinner, work, sex being disturbed because she's unable to keep tabs on her parolee.

    To whom do I complain about this? Can I complain about this? Could I just escalate to telling her to fornicate herself whenever she comes around?

    submitted by /u/Goofyal57
    [link] [comments]

    Stay at home dad finds out fiance is cheating.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 05:15 AM PST

    She's not really willing to come back to the table. I took on her two kids a couple years ago because of my condition and we have one between us. Basically she doesn't spend any time at home with any of them, and they all call me dad now. She was a drug addict when we met and she has a record. I got her off, by some miracle. We aren't married and WA state is not common-law. I've got three jobs set up for the next week.

    How do I get primary custody of my baby girl? I'm not looking to take her from her, but I simply cannot trust her anymore to give me a fair chance to see her if she is the primary parent.

    submitted by /u/hettinger
    [link] [comments]

    Found a letter on our door that landlord put space heater in utility closet without disclosing it to us.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 11:32 AM PST

    I live in a large apartment complex. The other day most of the units in the complex had anonymous notes on the doors. The note was aggressive and stated that our landlord was violating laws because they put space heaters in all of the utility closets without telling us. The letter said to contact our local news companies and to file complaints. It also said we would see increased utility bills and that this is a huge fire hazard.

    We unscrewed the vent on the door to the utility closet, since the door itself is locked. After shining a flashlight we could see the space heater and feel the warm air, so it was definitely there and was definitely on.

    The utility closets are located next to the outdoor porch balconies, so most of the walls face directly outside. The door is on the balcony, and it is locked. There is a vent that is on the door. We are thinking it was probably done to keep the pipes warm.

    Should we be as enraged as the letter is telling us to be? Is it actually that much of a fire hazard? Is this illegal, or just bad practice? Should we be taking action or wait until we see an increase in utility bill?

    Ohio.

    submitted by /u/4338683275699275
    [link] [comments]

    Being brought to court over medical bill from when I was 12.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 11:30 AM PST

    Might be under the wrong flair. I'm sorry. I'm very confused on what to do at the moment. I was contacted by a law office requesting my summons (my paperwork is being served tomorrow). They informed me that a 3rd party/debt collector is suing me for a medical bill from 2009 which puts me at 12 years old at the time. I've contacted the hospital that the visit was at and they have my mom down as a guarantor for the bill they have on record however they're saying it's not the same bill that went to collections. Essentially the law office has told me my only option is to go through the court system to get it sorted out showing that I'm not liable. I was also informed that my 4 years (statue of limitations in Texas ) is up next Friday and I could just avoid the summons (a friend who worked in a law office). I'm unsure of any paperwork I may need to show that my mom is the guarantor. Please help. I need to know my options and the right way to go about this.

    submitted by /u/FlowersforWolf
    [link] [comments]

    Pregnant, almost assaulted at work by a client, got suspended.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 06:53 PM PST

    California-Hello, Yesterday, a client threatened to assault me at my work. She lunged at me a couple times while being held back by her partner while my coworkers were holding me back and protecting me from the client. By the time managers got involved, they stated that I was trying to fight her because I was pushing off my coworkers. I'm 6 months pregnant, I'm not trying to fight anyone, simply trying to diffuse a situation that ended up almost becoming violent. I went in to work today and was notified that I was now suspended without pay for a week and could possibly face termination. I could easily get another job in the industry after my pregnancy, but it would make things such as obtaining insurance in the meantime to keep up with my pregnancy difficult. After my suspension, I went to the police station and filed a report. By the time I received the report, it was too late for me to file a restraining/harassment order against the client. I guess I have a couple questions: should I continue to file a restraining order or just let it go? And secondly, do I have any rights if I do in fact get terminated by my employer? Thank you. I'm on mobile, I apologize for the funky formatting.

    submitted by /u/badwlf55
    [link] [comments]

    Can anybody help us ? We have a week to get help or we will lose everything

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 04:56 PM PST

    (Washington State) I am desperately looking for any help. This is my first time posting on Reddit. Last year my mother and step father separated but did not divorce. He moved out of our five bedroom family house and after a few months trying to sustain on our own we ultimately had to look for somewhere cheeper. My mother got her job two years ago, before the separation, as a supplemental Income therefore is not a living wage. In July we moved into a trailer with a contract stating we would make monthly payment's along with paying the house off with 35,000. A verbal agreement (also discussed in text messages with witnesses) was agreed upon for my mom to get half of what we got from our previous house selling in exchange for my step father having primary custody of my little sister. My mother's brother gave us the down payment in faith we would pay him back with what was leftover. The house sat for much longer than we expected and in November the lady we bought the trailer from sued us. We agreed that we would give them the money owed as soon as the house sold and workout a finance plan For any difference. On Friday we closed on our old house and all of the money was transferred to my former step father. There was an argument between him and his new fiance which involved a conversation my mom had with fiance a long time ago. However ex-step father decided he needed to "punish" us for "involving ourselves in his life" and that "he deserves the money more so he can buy a proper car" (an Audi A4). He currently has all of the money and says "Oh well don't worry because even if you go homeless I'll still take 'little sister". As of today they are threatening to seize our home, my mother's car and any other valuable assets if we don't sort something out by next Wednesday. We cannot afford an attorney/lawyer. My mom is at her wits end so I told her I'd try to find anything to help us or in the very least buy us time. I'm really sorry if this doesn't make total sense, I'm seventeen and have no idea how any of this works. All I know is that this is really urgent.

    submitted by /u/boredasacatado
    [link] [comments]

    How do I prevent my family from getting stuck with my debt after I die?

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 12:42 PM PST

    I'm at my wit's end right now and if anyone can help, I would be extremely grateful. I'm terminally ill and have maybe a few months left to live. I have about 20k in debt (student loans, car loans, credit card, etc) and I'm terrified that my family will get saddled with it after I die. I'm currently unemployed, have no life insurance, and have a very meager 401k. I own no property, and the most expensive thing that I own is my car, which I still owe the bank about 4K for. I was thinking of using the remainder of my savings to pay off my car loan so that the bank doesn't repossess it after I die, but outside of that I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any advice? I can't handle the idea of leaving my parents with all of this debt.

    Edit: I live in North Carolina

    submitted by /u/originalusername2849
    [link] [comments]

    eviction

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 05:10 AM PST

    Yesterday when i arrived home there was a sheriff at my home with an eviction notice. We have been current on all of our payments but they made a change in leasing company in October that we were not aware of. Old leasing company cash November check but did not send it to the new company, while trying to pay December we called the old leasing company and told them we were sending the payment and they told us the no longer manage the home. We have been trying to contact the new company since the 1st of december,

    they had court on the 12 that we were never aware off and now they want us to pay 5200 or move out by Jan 6 court order, 2200 for two months of rent ( December and November) 300 late fees and the rest court and lawyer fees. they even admit on not having any of our contact information.

    at lost on what to do ?

    submitted by /u/karloz040
    [link] [comments]

    (Oregon) Can a landlord require a larger security deposit for younger applicants?

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 05:21 PM PST

    I'm currently applying to an apartment with my girlfriend (I'm 23, she's 25) and our landlord said that due to our age she wanted to require a larger security deposit. Due to the fact that we don't have cosigners (we both earn enough / have good enough credit where she said that we didn't need them) she wants to raise the deposit amount from $1275 to $1912.50 (50% increase) due to our age. This seem illegal to me?

    submitted by /u/poiuyt748
    [link] [comments]

    Come to find out my ex hasn't been paying the mortgage on the house we are selling what are my options?

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 03:59 PM PST

    Me and my ex have been divorced for 6 months now, during that time we have been trying to sell our house. They have been living in the house up to the last 3 months where they moved out into their new significant others place. I recently discovered after seeing my credit trashed that they completely stopped paying all bills associated to the house and any money I sent to cover the costs of bills and my part of the mortgage has gone elsewhere. There is a seller that is supposed to buy the house on the 30th and on our divorce paperwork it states that each of us get 50/50 of the proceeding on the house. What are my options for repair to my credit score. Is there any way I could Sue for their half of the mortgage along with the money they stole? Thanks Edit: I live in Idaho

    submitted by /u/skephex
    [link] [comments]

    (Michigan Furniture Moving Company)Employee's wages were supposed to be garnished, apparently my boss didn't know and ignored all paperwork. Judge had all 4 of our moving trucks towed today.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 11:26 AM PST

    I don't have a ton of details but I can get them. We are waiting for our lawyer to get back to us right now. We are a small company with 8 employees. My boss is taking this hard.

    Does anyone know if stuff like this happens often?

    submitted by /u/JazzyJake69
    [link] [comments]

    I think I’m being scammed by the car dealership I financed from.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 06:44 PM PST

    I financed a car on Nov 30th with no credit and I was initially approved for a cost of $9671 at a set rate of 267 a month and I could refinance after a year. I took what the bank offered me as a payment plan, that amount over 64 months. Weeks into December (about 2-4 days ago) the dealership calls me and says I was no longer going to be financed bc I didn't "finance for the legal limit of 10k" so that my contract which I already signed, which does not dictate that it can be changed within 30 days but says that any portion of the contract that becomes void does not negate what was agreed upon; has to be rewritten. And I was told that my options were to lease for a longer period which would raise my rate which I cannot afford up to $100, or I could do something that only raises it by a few dollars, or they will "speak to the sales manager and see if they can write a check and give me the difference" so the guidelines of the bank or technically met, or I can buy an accessory that brings me to 10k which sounds weird to me in general. Then I got a letter that was sent on the 7th of this month from the bank saying I was denied bc of "no credit or credit delinquency" which contradicts what the dealer said. So now I'm skeptical of their authenticity. It leads me to believe this was a clear act of negligence, or they mislead me to thinking I was good to leave knowing I wasn't approved. Again how can I be liable to pay more when I paid my money and signed The contract? They were even negligent in taking my payment the day of sale and called me to do so the next day. Plz help.

    submitted by /u/Kotalbowie
    [link] [comments]

    I own an e-commerce business and license artwork for my product. I have loads of competitors and all of them steal art. What can I do?

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 08:15 AM PST

    Hi folks, thanks in advance for any thoughts.

    I own a retail e-commerce business based in NY USA and specializing in craft kits. Essentially, we license artwork from artists and reproduce those designs on our craft kits.

    We take pride in licensing all of the artwork we use. However, we have multiple US- and China-based websites and platform sellers offering unlicensed, lower-quality versions of our product. While we do issue DMCA takedown notices when we work directly with the artist and can confirm infringement, these sellers continue to offer thousands of designs stolen from all over the internet, from artists big and small.

    We're a small company, but would like to fight back against the rampant infringement. However, we're a bit overwhelmed in terms of the volume and audacity of these sellers.

    So friends, what actions can I take to swipe out these infringers? Can I hire someone whose sole job it is to seek out these instances, issue takedowns, pursue follow-ups, etc?

    We also have certain websites using variants of our trademarked company name in their URL and logo. Our name is '_____ with __' and our competitors use 'Original ___ by ______'. These clowns happen to be bidding against us in search ad auctions, and doing very well by misleading customers.

    Our plan so far has been largely inaction, but it's continually infuriating to see these people get away with this. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions!

    submitted by /u/nutterbutter125
    [link] [comments]

    Stopped at stop sign but got stuck in snow in the intersection, I was hit and my car is totalled. Was giving ticket for 'failure to yield to the right of way at stop sign' should I just talk to tge DA or do I need a lawyer?

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 07:52 AM PST

    I live in New York and I have a rear wheel drive car that is shit in winter regardless of my tires. I dont drive far with it but I went to pick up something at the gas station 2 blocks away from home.

    I came to a stop sign, looked both ways and verified NO one was on the street and proceeded to accelerate. Once my rear tires hit all yhe slush and snow from the unplowed street I lost traction and started spinning tires. I was already 85% in the intersection and while i wasnt completely stuck in snow, i was going less than 5mph. Id say I was stuck/spinning for about 5 seconds. I looked both ways while trying to hurry put of the intersection and an SUV smashed into my passenger side door and sent me flying accross the intersection over a snowbank.

    The SUV was not on the road when I pulled out. When he turned onto the road he had the right of way but there is no way he would miss a silver dodge challenger spinning tires in the middle of the intersection.

    I have no idea why he hit me. He didnt hit his brakes at all. There were no witnesses, he was okay and I was. No airbags went off somehow and his car just has bumper damage but mine is wrecked. There was a winter weather advisory and he was going way to fast for the roads but i still cannot comprehend why he didnt slow down. He was angry and wouldnt say anything to me when I tried to ask him what happened.

    Its my word against his but I know its not looking good for me. The cop said he knows I stopped because he was able to see the skid marks in the snow from me getting stuck.

    Im not sure what to do. I have insurance but I cant afford to be 100% at fault and I cant afford the ticket.

    The road itself was open and you can see everything from the top of the hill where the guy came from. Even if I was behind the stop sign he would have been able to see me but I was in thr middle of the road.

    I appreciate any advice. This is my first accident and first ticket ever and Im not sure what would be best.

    submitted by /u/PorcelainLamb
    [link] [comments]

    My mother bought a new manufactured home. They gave her some temporary steps that were too short and have yet to deliver the 6ft steps that she purchased. After a week of calling and emailing and receiving no reply, she fell off of them and hurt her ankle.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 05:52 PM PST

    TEXAS

    My mom bought a brand new manufactured home. It was delivered and set up, but they left steps that are 2 feet too short. The steps that she was supposed to receive were $750 each and they're 6 feet tall. My mom called and emailed and they kept telling her that they would bring them the next day and they never did. Last week she fell off of the steps and ended up with a grade 3 sprain. She was seen in an urgent care clinic and did an X-ray to rule out a break. She's in crutches and a boot and needs to schedule a follow up to see the extent of her injuries. It's been a week since that's happened and she still hasn't received her steps. She's afraid to confront them and just keeps emailing and leaving voicemails. Is there any action she can take against them?

    submitted by /u/Babymama13
    [link] [comments]

    Lien on property I no longer own

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 07:43 AM PST

    I inherited a home from a relative who passed away. I sold the home about 18 months ago and I'm only now getting a letter from the county saying I owe property taxes. Apparently, they're saying that taxes are reassessed upon the passing of the owner. They've since put a lien on the property, but I no longer own it. It's also now accruing penalties. Legally speaking, do I have to worry about paying the tax? I'm in Los Angeles.

    submitted by /u/djierp
    [link] [comments]

    Squater in Uncle's Estate

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 05:48 AM PST

    Edit: This is Chicago, Illinois

    Need some legal advice. My uncle passed away unexpectedly last weekend. My brother is the executor to his estate and is currently awaiting power of attorney paperwork to be expedited by the attorney managing the will. My uncle lived 600 miles from our family and was not married and had no children. He owns a home that is split into 4 units, he lived in one, and rented out the other 3. Over the last few weeks/months (we're unsure how long) one of his tenants claims to have become close with him and started living in his unit with him. The week before he died he filed paperwork to evict the other 2 tenants in the home. Our family is currently facing a situation where this tenant he became close with, has taken his wallet and keys from the hospital, will not return my mother's calls, and says she will not allow anyone on the property without legal documentation. My uncle's property is surrounded by a 6ft tall gate that this tenant has locked. My uncle had paintings, jewelry, china, crystal and other items that he received from his and my mother's parents that my mother would like to take out of the home. We're concerned that this tenant is going to claim possession of all of his belongings and/or pawn them and not allow us to enter the home. What legal rights do we have to enter the home both now and once my brother (executor) has the legal power of attorney? My uncle also had a number of assets in the form of stock, bonds and bank accounts. With possession of this wallet, including his ID and credit cards, possibly even his social security card, birth certificate, etc., what can we do to mitigate any loss to the estate should she try to pull funds from the accounts or use the credit cards to make large purchases? We do not know how to determine where all of his assets are or how to protect them. Should the attorney handling the will be advising us in this area now or after power of attorney is in place, or both? Any other advice that anyone has that may help is welcome!!

    submitted by /u/cchudy
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord hired painter to paint apartment complex. They painted the covered garage. Car is now covered in paint drips / specks.

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 07:31 AM PST

    My landlord building manager sent a notice out to everyone notifying us that the 24 unit complex would be painted. He said cars left under the complex would be covered in plastic.

    Went on vacation and now car is cover in these paint specks when they painted the covered car port in which my car was parked under.

    This a car insurance thing, or small claims?

    submitted by /u/zotbotzot
    [link] [comments]

    Divorced Parents At Odds Over Child’s ADHD Medication

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 11:21 AM PST

    My ex and I share legal custody but our four kids are with me roughly 70% of the time. Our 10 year old daughter has ADHD - Combined Type and earlier this year we discovered her previous medication had stopped being effective. We began testing new ones, with my ex very against it but going along with it when push came to shove. He and his family are very anti-med and honestly don't really "believe" in ADHD. Unfortunately after months of trying new meds and different dosages, nothing was working at all, until we landed on Adderall. My ex is adamantly against Adderall as he had an ex-girlfriend who was addicted to it in addition to his general attitude about medication for mental health. So now I'm faced with having to choose between not giving my child the medication that is helping her, or go to court and ask for full medical decision making rights for her as well as our other three. (Two of them almost certainly have ADHD as well but they aren't in school yet so I haven't had to cross that bridge.) Does anyone have any experience with a case like this? I don't believe there's any persuading my ex. I don't know what my chances of winning even are, but I feel I need to be able to look my daughter in the eye when she's an adult and tell her I tried my very best to fight for her. I already have a lawyer, a very good one, and am laying the groundwork so a suit can be filed quickly if/when necessary. The anxiety about all of it is eating me alive. Advice? Experiences? Cautionary tales? Success stories? Located in the Dallas, TX, area.

    submitted by /u/InconvenientExWife
    [link] [comments]

    Can a benificiaey of a trust fund petition to have a trustee removed?

    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 04:21 PM PST

    My father passed away around 6 years ago, and in his will he outlined a trust fund for me to go to college. My mother is the trustee of this fund until I am of age (18). My mother is threatening to give the funds to charity or keep them for herself, which I know she cannot legally do. She has a lawyer and I, being 17, do not. What are some steps I can begin to take so that my father's money is put towards what he would have wanted?

    submitted by /u/Someguy1k
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment