• Breaking News

    Friday, December 20, 2019

    Legal Advice - My mom has been torturing me for the past 6 years.

    Legal Advice - My mom has been torturing me for the past 6 years.


    My mom has been torturing me for the past 6 years.

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 03:32 AM PST

    She first started of making me walk to school when I was 8 which was a 1/2 hour walk from my house. When I was about 9, she never gave me any presents for Christmas or my birthday and she would often leave me starving for a day. She never made me breakfast, lunch or dinner and by about the age of 10, I had lost a lot of weight. By the age of 10, my sister was 5 and she was treated so much better than me or my brothers. She still is treated waaayyyy better than the rest of my family and at the age of 14, my mom has threatened to either sell my cat or kill it half a dozen times. She has left physical scars on my arm and she told me if I ever tell anyone how i got them scars, she would make me suffer. She left me starving all yesterday and I haven't had any breakfast today because my dad is away at a friends house. She publicly humiliates me and I got braces in September which she threatens to rip off and she always whacks me in the mouth so my gums bleed. I have stood my ground but she always threatens to call the police and once I tried to call the police myself and she threw my phone in the sink and destroyed it. In November, I brought a Nintendo switch and the first week I had it she scratched it all and threw it in the bath and said it was my fault for spending £300 on something that was so fragile. I really don't want this to go any further and want her gone but she demands half the money that my dad owns or for us to sell our house and give her half of the money. Thanks for reading I hope I can get sufficient advice.

    submitted by /u/L-Cave-05
    [link] [comments]

    Can my parents force me to take custody of my niece? (I'm in California)

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 12:50 PM PST

    Hi, I'm really new to reddit. I'm a 17 year old girl living with her parents, who are very religious. My brother has a drug problem and so does his wife. They have a kid. They've both been arrested. My parents are saying that it's my legal responsibility to take custody of their kid because I turn 18 next week and it's the law that I have to adopt my niece. I can't find any law that says this, but I can't be sure. I told them I'm going to college (which they didn't know I plan on doing) and they said that's not important, that I have a Godly and legal duty to this child and they will find me a husband to make money to pay bills.

    I guess my question is: is there really a law that says I have to take custody of my niece? I love her but I can't take care of a two year old. I also don't want to marry some random man to "take care" of me. I think my parents are just wanting to not have to take her. They keep telling me that if she goes "into the system" they'll turn me in for child abuse and I'll go to jail. I don't want that. Is there really a way they can force me to take her? And what really happens to her if I don't? Sorry if this is all over the place, I'm just really scared and I can't afford a lawyer, I have no money. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/scaredaunt
    [link] [comments]

    A man stole 100% of my dad's savings. Can I do something about it?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 03:55 PM PST

    ***I've changed the names of the people involved for privacy reasons***

    The Story

    So my father (Albert) recently had a falling out with his business partner (John). Albert worked as the executive chef at John's restaurant for several years. The restaurant became a huge success. Eventually Albert decided that he wanted to co-own the restaurant with John, so he offered John all his savings in return for half of the restaurant. John agreed and signed a contract with Albert. A year went by, and John had yet to let Albert in on any of the company's profits. Albert decided that he had enough and filed a lawsuit against John. Albert left John's restaurant and put a lien on his home so he could afford to open a new restaurant.

    Today my father explained to me that there is nothing he can do to get his savings back from John. He says that without any money, he can't afford to pay a lawyer. John used my father's retirement to buy an enormous house. Meanwhile my father is struggling to pay his bills and is racking up credit card debt. If his current restaurant doesn't succeed, there's a good chance my dad will lose everything. To make matters worse, John never contributed to any of his employees' pensions.

    My question is this: Are there any systems in place to protect people from these kinds of scenarios? Albert is an old man who should be retiring, but now he has no other option but to continue working. John took everything my father had and breached a contract. Is it true that my dad would need money in order to sue John for the damages he caused? It seems illogical that one would need money to press charges against someone who took all of their money. If that's the case, then there are little to no repercussions for stealing from people as long as it's made sure that the person stolen from will be too poor to do anything about it.

    Other things worth mentioning...

    1. John is currently under criminal investigation for similar crimes.
    2. Albert had some of his personal belongings in the restaurant that John claims (without evidence) that my father sold to him (pasta machines he's owned since the 90s, paintings, cooking equipment, etc.). These are things my dad needs for his new restaurant and can't afford to replace.
    3. John is posting fake critical reviews on Yelp and Google in an effort to jeopardize the reputation of my dad's new restaurant. The profiles behind the negative reviews have generic sounding names, only one review, and complain about entrees that don't exist.
    4. John called Albert's bank and impersonated him to try to find out how much money he had in his accounts. He was caught by the bank and officials were notified.

    Conclusion

    This is sort of a last ditch effort. My family is falling apart and I'm being told left and right that there's nothing that can be done about it. I'm reaching out to the people of Reddit for guidance. If anyone has any ideas or advice, please let me know. I want to do everything I can to help my family get through this. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/BrosephSmithSr
    [link] [comments]

    Ex doesn't want any communication between our kids and his parents

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 07:23 PM PST

    My kids (ages 12 and 13) were very close to their grandparents on both sides. She had a riff with her parents this past summer and is no longer speaking to them. I have custody, due to her military service, and she's directed me to not allow the kids to have any communication with them at all. I can't even send them pictures, but I can acknowledge gifts they send to the kids (I just can't let the kids thank them personally).

    I thought this would resolve itself, but we're still here several months later. What is my legal responsibility here? I have to continue following my ex's wishes, am I correct?

    submitted by /u/78throwaway19
    [link] [comments]

    My father took out a 1 million dollar life insurance policy and I'm the beneficiary

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 12:38 PM PST

    Hi, I live in California. Due to my father's health issues, he will no longer be with us a few months from now. I was just informed that he took out a 1 million dollar life insurance policy a long time ago and I'm the beneficiary. He wants it to he kept secret between us both because most of my immediate family members are not trustworthy for reasons I'd rather not explain..

    I've been doing research and I'm having trouble understanding how this works.. I'm 21 years old and know nothing about life insurance. Does this mean he's leaving me 1 million dollars? Could somebody explain to me what happens with the life insurance after my father passes and the steps I'm supposed to take? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/wenchslap
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment Complex withheld my mail, would not give it to me until I told them what I ordered.

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 10:16 AM PST

    I apologize if the flair is incorrect, I will fix it if need be. I live in Arkansas. My dog has a small vitamin deficiency and we were recommended a treatment for him by his vet. I ordered him a supplement in the mail. It arrived in a box that was obviously marked as coming from a pet store. The package was left at the office for my apartment complex as my mailbox is too small to hold it. When I went to retrieve it, the woman in the office kept shaking the box and asking what was in it. I told her I'd ordered something for my pet, but the contents of my mail were not her business. When I reached to take the box from her, she pulled the package out of my reach and asked me if it was for a cat or a dog. I told her it was for my dog, who just needed extra vitamins. She then took my package with her to the computer and would not allow me to take it until she looked up my lease information to see if I listed the dog on the lease. My dog is indeed on the lease; I paid my pet deposit and all of my monthly pet fees. Do I have any recourse here? I'd like to send upper management an email detailing my grievance, as the employees at this complex have no right to withhold my mail or know what my package contains.

    Edit: punctuation

    submitted by /u/throwaway28485858282
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] school released my federal aviation test scores to 2 students who just asked for them without my consent.

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 08:24 AM PST

    Is there anything I can do about this, also I am under the post 9/11 Gi bill.

    submitted by /u/astrology-wanders
    [link] [comments]

    My boss [30M] slept with one of his underage subordinates [16F] and no one is taking any action (Missouri).

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 09:11 PM PST

    I work at an independent living facility in the dietary department. Due to inclement weather, my boss was trying to arrange cover for dinner and breakfast shifts. He asked me to stay for dinner and cover breakfast the next day and offered an empty apartment in the facility to sleep in. He extended the offer to the other employees, three teenagers (one boy, two girls) accepted as well as another cook (around 30M as well), the boss (30M), and myself (30F). He also mentioned that there would be whiskey, rum, and Cards Against Humanity available to us.

    Fast forward to that night, the cook and the boss got super drunk. I noticed that the boss was being particularly friendly to both of the teenage girls but since I have known him for a decade and always thought highly of him, I assumed it was just drunk silly friendliness. I fell asleep several hours before everyone else.

    Two days later, one of the teenagers (I'll refer to her as L to make it easier, and the other 16F as O) told me that boss had sex with O in the middle of the night. O had not drank anything but they woke up together before he went back to his bed. He had a condom readily available in his backpack he put on partway through the act. O does not want people to know, she claims since it was consensual she doesn't want him to be in any trouble.

    Boss gathered us all to ask us to stop spreading rumors. I started off recording the meeting but he said he'd be honest if we all surrendered our phones. His explanation? He thought he was hooking up with me, not O. He was under that impression until recently when the rumor got back to him. He asked us to keep this quiet as he "has a lot of good he can do here" but got up to resign himself as soon as it became clear he would not be able to win back our trust or respect.

    The issue? After he laid everything out to his boss, he was not suspended. He is still working as usual. I am unsure if he is under investigation but it's been several days of him still working in close proximity to teenage girls. I don't want this swept under the rug and I know many of the girls there are uncomfortable around him. The corporate office in Chicago already knows the story and nothing is happening. O does not want to press charges (age of consent is 17 in Missouri). I do not want this to happen again.

    He also has a long-term, live-in girlfriend. She needs to know regardless of anything else that happens.

    How can I escalate this in a way that hurts the least people and protects the most?

    submitted by /u/throwrasleigh
    [link] [comments]

    Mother evicted with no warning and only an hour allotted to retrieve belongings

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 09:27 AM PST

    This takes place in Kansas in a small town in Linn county

    My mother has been living with a client as an unofficial live-in nurse, there is only a verbal contract in place and she has been living there for over a year.

    On Wednesday the daughter of the client she has been caring for got power of Attorney over him and had him hauled off to a nursing home and evicted my mom on the spot. Today she is allowing my mom only 1 hour to remove and retrieve all of her belongings in the house and my mother has nowhere to go.

    I know this is a complicated one because the contract is only verbal and the daughter now has power of attorney but my mom has been living solely at this property and I believe has it listed as her legal address and has for over a year. They're evicting her with no 30 day grace period and not allowing her to have any of her belongings that she can't get out in the one hour.

    What can be done in this situation, do they legally need to provide her with a 30 day grace period, and if nothing else doesn't she have some level of squatter's rights or something especially as the residence (which the client owns) is listed as her address? Please help, it is cold there and with nowhere to go she will be on the streets in below freezing weather

    Edit: the Daughter claims she sent an eviction notice in the mail but my mom says she never received it. Also seeing as to my knowledge the daughter just recently got power of attorney, would that even be a valid eviction notice because she was not owner of the property in question?

    submitted by /u/Caprine-Evisc
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] My employer takes 5% of my tips every night to give to salaried management

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 06:22 AM PST

    Is this illegal? I have been there for almost two years. I pay a house fee (.33% of total bar sales, between $15 and $75 nightly), drawer shortages, card disputes on tabs, and my manager gets 5% of my tips at the end of the night.

    With barback tipout this all ends with me leaving with half of my tips nightly, as opposed to the normal 80% where my barback would get 20%. I am a bartender.

    What should I do if this is illegal? I did the math (based on my W2's, although they never claimed our cash tips for us) and this is about $9,000 that has come out of my tips. Probably more if you included cash tips. Do I need an attorney to recover my money? From what I hear FL has no labor board.

    On top of this, we did not get FL server min wage (5.32/hr) and were only clocked in for 1 hour out of 8 hours every night - paycheck only accounted for 1hr a shift.

    Example pics of tipout sheet ; http://imgur.com/a/LD57dCE "FB" is my manager tipout alone for this night

    submitted by /u/WhamBamThnkUMaam
    [link] [comments]

    New (to me) car I bought looks like it has a lot of blood splatter...

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 02:37 PM PST

    99% sure its blood everywhere like someone got shot in the head inside it. What should i do? I'm gonna contact law enforcement but am afraid that if it is an unsolved scenario and someone trying to get rid of evidence, that if i push the issue i could be the next victim. Please advise

    Also i bought car after dark and just thought it was just very dirty with oil/grease stains everywhere. In the daylight the next day and im pretty sure its all blood

    submitted by /u/throwawaygeo96
    [link] [comments]

    Employer docks 15 minutes of pay for 1 minute but doesn’t add anything for staying late - wage theft?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 03:21 PM PST

    Location: Georgia

    At my sister's hourly job at a medical office, the employer is docking 15 minutes of pay if she clocks in 1 minute late. But she often clocks out a couple minutes to sometimes almost an hour past and this does not get counted for anything. Her actual working hours are 8:30-5:00 with a 30 minute (unpaid) lunch 12:00-12:30. No 15 minute breaks.

    For example these are some examples of her clock in times and what her employer has manually counted as her hours worked:

    8:31-5:00 = 7.75 hrs (15 mins docked for 1 min) 8:31-5:04 = 7.75 (the 1 min is surely made up for?) 8:22-5:00 = 8 hrs 8:21-5:51= 8.5 hrs (shouldn't this be 8.75?) 8:30-5:56 = 8.75 (?!?!!?)

    If they're willing to dock 15 minutes for 1 minute after 8:30, shouldn't 56 minutes count for 1 hour? Extra minutes worked don't get compensated at all and they round down her hours to benefit themselves it seems?

    Is this legal in Georgia?

    Edited for clarity

    submitted by /u/mooncrumbs
    [link] [comments]

    Clients informed of my termination before I was [OR]

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 06:57 PM PST

    I'm a counselor at a small practice in Oregon,". today, a mass email was sent to my clients informing them of my termination. One of my clients forwarded me the email and asked if I had moved to a different practice. Afterwards, I called my supervisor and she formally terminated me. This blindsided me to say the least. I've been fielding calls and texts from concerned clients all day. Is there any legal action I can take against the practice?

    submitted by /u/mspipp
    [link] [comments]

    My son was arrested and will be in jail for a long time. He was living in a house that I own, I want to change locks but there are people there.

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 09:38 PM PST

    My son was arrested. He's an idiot and he's going to be in jail for a long time. He was living in a house that I own. I have a written agreement with him that he will pay rent that he has never done. He promised to not allow anyone else to live there and he has. Various other rules were broken as well.

    My question for you experts is how quickly can I act to change the locks? I want to move his stuff out into a storage and sell the house. I'm afraid it's filled with drug addicts who have no agreement with me. I have no idea what my son agreed to but I assume he didn't have any written agreements. Do they have any rights? This is Fairfield, Solano County, California.

    I want to go to the property with the police in the morning and make anyone leave, change the locks, install alarm and security cameras.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/joeblowfromidaho
    [link] [comments]

    OH- I am highly allergic to dogs, can my employer force me to work in close proximity to a service animal?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 12:53 PM PST

    First of all I know that allergies are not a reason to deny someone with a service animal service. The person in question has a legitimate service dog for a legitimate purpose (I know because she has discussed it with my colleagues extensively).

    I work at a hair salon, and there is a woman who came in about 10 months ago to have her hair done by me. I am the most popular stylist at this location, and often get people requesting me specifically. I am also highly, highly allergic to dogs. Like, 20 minutes around one and I'm wheezing horribly and my eyes are swollen, itchy, and my nose is dripping.

    The problem is this woman had a service dog. One of the breeds I am even more allergic to than usual. I told my boss this, and she did not care. She point blank told me too bad, deal. I figured it wasn't the end of the world, went in the back, pocketed my inhaler and popped some preemptive allergy meds.

    It was the worst time I've had in a while, because this dog was less than a foot from me and often I brushed up against it. But it ended, it was just one incident, and I moved on.

    However, she's since been back several times. Every time requesting me. After the second time my boss tried to ask her to pick a different stylist, explaining the issue, and the woman said that was illegal discrimination and she would do as she pleased. My boss told me she was right, too bad, deal.

    I have to stress that when this happens it completely ruins my day. It ruins the rest of the day's appointments, my work is of lower quality, and I am wheezing and sniffling all day until well after I get home, wash the clothes, and take a shower. It's like having the flu for a day, it's terrible.

    I told my boss I couldn't serve this customer any more, and she told me to do it or I'd be fired. Do I have any protection here? There are always other stylists available. This lady comes in with an unusual frequency as well, and it's really stressing me out. It isn't the dog's fault, but I feel as though I too should be entitled to a reasonable accommodation.

    submitted by /u/Dogdogdogno
    [link] [comments]

    Abusive, incestuous, pedophile, baby daddy

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 07:46 PM PST

    BD and I have been together off and on for several years. 2 kids together. Never married. He has been verbally and physically abusive toward me, but never the children. He currently lives in my house. I've found conversations with his sister talking about previous sexual experiences they've had together, as well as talking about "grooming" an 11-12 year old for him. He's made multiple comments about being attracted to children. It came to a head the other night when we were in a store and he made comments about the children in the store. When we got home, I told him to get out. He threatened to kill us and had a knife on us. The cops were called and they basically told him to cool off. They told me not to antagonize him. I told them about the comments that were said and they just laughed it off. He has threatened to kill me if I try to leave with the kids. I can't afford a lawyer. Where do I go from here? How do I get him away from me and my children and make it so he is never alone with them? Can I do anything about the conversation I read between him and his sister?

    submitted by /u/HopefulLiving6
    [link] [comments]

    My partner has been served to pay a debt she is unaware of by a "private company." Scam? [OR]

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 07:05 PM PST

    UPDATE: We have confirmed it is NOT from her student loans. So here's some back story, my partner had a legal name change about 2 years ago. Some people showed up at her old address with her old name the other day trying to serve her. She received two letters in the mail from different attorneys trying to get her to file for bankruptcy at that address as well. The only thing we can think of are past student loans, but her family cosigned and was paying them for her last they spoke. Unfortunately, she doesn't have contact with them anymore after coming out as gay. So we don't know what the situation is with that. There were no details on who the company was. Her old roommate says it seems fishy.

    submitted by /u/blackmetalwarlock
    [link] [comments]

    Guy stole my car and got a DUI

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 05:00 PM PST

    I was out of state on vacation when I came back to find out my car wasn't where I left it. Called the police, they said my car was impounded due to a DUI. The lowlife that stole my car jumped a curb (causing some fun damage that I had to repair), nearly hit pedestrians, got pulled over, was cited with a DUI (I have NO idea why the cop didn't arrest him), convinced the cop that he had permission to drive my car, and went along his merry way.

    I filed a stolen vehicle report several days after the incident (I wasn't notified my car had been impounded while I was out of town) and now I am in limbo waiting for something to happen.

    My questions are:

    Would this stranger be charged with Joyriding or Grand Theft Auto? I have a hard time telling the difference from what I can see online.

    Secondly, does the person have to be convicted of stealing my car in order for me to seek restitution (repairs, impound fees, rental car fees, etc)?

    Am I responsible for proving the car was stolen or would the DA office/investigators take care of that?

    Lastly, if I cannot seek restitution, would it be possible for me to sue him through small claims? I don't really expect the money to be paid. I just want to make his life as hard as I possibly can in response to him stealing, crashing, and rummaging through my car.

    submitted by /u/larune15
    [link] [comments]

    (Montana) Renters' rights regarding a very invasive remodel?! Help!

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 12:50 PM PST

    Hello legaladvice! I am really hoping y'all can help me with my impending fight with my landlord! Thank you all!

    My landlord has been "remodeling" the four-plex I live in for a very long time (years). It's been exterior stuff, so while incredibly noisy, not unbearable (but only just!!). They now want to replace my bedroom window. It is a huge window, easily half the size of the wall. My bed, desk, shelves are all against this wall so I would be required to almost completely disassemble/reassemble my room. I would also have to find someone to help me since items are too heavy/large to move on my own.

    The landlord said it would take a day (7am-7pm or later). It's the middle of winter and I don't exactly have anywhere else to stay while that's going on. I suggested they do it when I'm out of town. The landlord then said they would take multiple days to do it. Now I am leaving town much later than anticipated, if at all. The landlord is not nice, extremely difficult to work with. I have to tell them soon and am anticipating a major freakout and possible demands I move everything on their timeline.

    Do I have any rights at all here? I am basically being told to dismantle my entire room and get lost in the middle of winter so they can rip out half of the wall! We've got black mold in the bathroom that they haven't touched since we need a bathroom and can't all just leave for awhile. Since this is just my room though, I'm afraid they don't care about my massive inconvenience. Is there anything at all I can do?

    Tl/dr: My difficult landlord wants to replace the huge window in my room. Now. It's easily half the wall, will require me to find help to almost entirely dismantle my room (then reassemble!), and will take them a full day or more of work. I was trying to be out of town but plans changed. Freakout is imminent and I'm wondering if I have any rights or can do anything.

    submitted by /u/QuirkyLevel
    [link] [comments]

    Separating from ex, how do I legally take my dog?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 05:45 PM PST

    I live in Canada and am going my own separate way from my ex that I live with. I'm moving out on Monday.

    We have a dog which I bought (but cannot prove), and we both want her. I had originally agreed that we can basically split custody of the dog. We have a daughter together and we came to an agreement that we'll split custody of our daughter 50/50 and whatever week we get DD, we'll get the dog too.

    I dont want to do this anymore and have not told him this yet (frankly I'm scared to). I pay for all her vet bills and he'll chip in here and there but I pay for a large majority of the bills which I have proof of. I take her to the groomers, and the food is mostly split. Even the food I buy costs more than what he gets. When he buys her food it's usually canned crap whereas I'll buy her raw which is far more expensive. I don't know if that is relevant or not.

    How can I legally take my dog? When I move on Monday, he will be home, and it's supposed to be "his week" with her. I also have a feeling that when its "my week" with the dog, he won't let me take her because he can be extremely vindictive and spiteful. What are my options to take my dog back with me for good?

    submitted by /u/hellonurse2
    [link] [comments]

    Drove my car away before tow truck hooked it up. Will I be charged?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 09:34 PM PST

    So I just moved to LA. I parked in a lot on a big shopping street in front of a Best Buy and walked my wife down the street to this other store that she wanted to check out before planning to come back to BB to look at appliances. I was probably gone about 20-30 min max. Came back and saw a tow truck and a highway police car near my car and the one next to mine. The guys there looked like they were checking out the cars and they even were shining a flashlight into the one next to mine. I didn't really know what was going on initially. I just ran up to my car, unlocked it, and drove off. They looked at me briefly but didn't say anything. The police didn't try to detain me either. However, my anxiety is now through the roof. Am I going to be charged a parking violation and then something for driving away? Any help would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/j0rdan21
    [link] [comments]

    Paying off girlfriend's debt

    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 09:00 PM PST

    My girlfriend has about $13,000 in debt, and the minimum payment is making it hard for her to get ahead. We have been together for 3+ years, living together, and would be considering marriage if not for her debt, I am in a financial position to pay it off, without hurting me, although it would set back my plans on buying a house next year.

    My idea is to offer her a 0% loan on the balance for a term of 2 years, but I need some legal paper guaranteeing I get the balance after two years, or in the event of a breakup, just in case everything goes south.

    What type of lawyer would I need to draft something like this up? Is it a good idea?

    Atlanta GA

    submitted by /u/-Trans-Am-
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment