• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 21, 2019

    Legal Advice - I came home to find one of my landlord's employees had let himself into my apartment (Pennsylvania)

    Legal Advice - I came home to find one of my landlord's employees had let himself into my apartment (Pennsylvania)


    I came home to find one of my landlord's employees had let himself into my apartment (Pennsylvania)

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 11:48 AM PST

    I had been out of town for about 2.5 weeks. I just got back to my apartment building and found a man in my apartment. He told me that he was an employee of my landlord, who owns a carpentry business, and was doing some work on a wall in the building -- NOT in my apartment. He had unlocked my door with a key given to him by the landlord and was using the apartment for water and the bathroom.

    This feels like a blatant breach of contract. What can I do? I have actually been hoping to end my lease in May instead of August. Is there any way I can use this as leverage?

    UPDATE: I called my landlord to 1) see if the man was really an employee (he is) and 2) let him know that I'm taking this very seriously.

    He told me that the man had entered my apartment to check the smoke detector. The man said nothing of the sort AND, according to my lease, checking them is the responsibility of the tenant. Also from my lease: "Landlord will give tenants 24 hours notice of date, time, and reason for the visit. In cases of emergency, landlord may enter property without notice."

    Isn't this a breach of contract?

    submitted by /u/dancingkookaburra
    [link] [comments]

    Tried to call in sick and was told I'm a manager, I don't get to call in sick. I fainted at work and an ambulance was called. Am I responsible for the bill or is workers comp? HR isn't responding.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 06:50 AM PST

    I work retail management. My right hand person came down with a nine month parasite (lol) and is not able to do any of her duties due to accomodations. So I have been doing my, and her, full time job, for three months now, working about 45 hours a week and being told off the whole time for working overtime. Apparently, it's my job to "figure it out" and no one is being allowed to help me, because it's "my department". Both positions are very physically demanding.

    Obviously it wasn't sustainable. Yesterday I passed out on the sales floor and an ambulance was called. HR isn't responding and I'm freaking out. I live paycheck to paycheck. I flat out cannot afford whatever this is going to cost me.

    Please just give it to me straight to stop me from having a meltdown. Am I going to have to pay for this? (Ny)

    submitted by /u/Dododododothrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Found a stack of child support pay stubs in boyfriend's name

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 06:57 AM PST

    Long story short, I was cleaning and came upon an envelope marked "child support". I asked him about it and he said that he was paying for a friend who couldnt at the time and is now paying him back. I'm just wondering if you can put your name on a money order for child support that isn't your kid? No idea how this works cause I've never had to deal with child support.

    Please advise. Stomach in knots over here.

    Edit: in PA

    Update: did the web search thing someone recommended and it's not looking good. Might need some cheers friends tonight lol

    Update 2: he admitted he has a child. Jfc. I was hoping we were just being cynical redditors but thanks for helping me everyone. Time to deal.

    submitted by /u/TishFaYaIsh
    [link] [comments]

    Bus driver closed door on daughter (6yo) as she was stepping out of the bus and kept driving with her halfway out. GA, USA

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 03:46 PM PST

    I wasn't there to witness the event. My babysitter who picks her up from the stop normally did and called me at work when it happened. When she finally got the driver to stop halfway down the road, he didn't even say anything to her before letting my daughter off the bus and driving off. She called the school and reported the bus driver. I'm going to the school tomorrow to talk with the principal and get the footage from the bus. My daughter is terrified to get back on the school bus. I'm planning on pressing charges for child endangerment. I haven't had to do anything like this before and want to go in fully prepared. What are my best avenues/approaches for this situation? I really just don't know what to do.

    submitted by /u/MourningMimosa
    [link] [comments]

    [Texas] I was arrested and charged with a DWI after a single-car accident in which I was concussed. Blood test came back clean, but I am still being charged.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 04:26 PM PST

    I entered a sharp turn and lost control of my vehicle. My car hit a sign, airbags deployed, and I was concussed. The officer arrived at the scene and gave me a field sobriety test. He said that I had failed the test. I asked to be breathalyzed and he refused to administer it. I tried to explain that I had just left work and he just kept responding "No". I was taken to the hospital to have blood drawn, but was not treated for my concussion. I stayed in jail for about 20 hours and went to the ER to be evaluated for my symptoms. The doctor told me I had a severe concussion, and for the next few days I was vomiting and pretty much staying in bed with a bad headache. My attorney just contacted me and informed me that my bloodwork came back and the only thing that showed up was the antidepressant (Sertraline) that I take daily. What should I expect next in this process? I know that the DA's office can still press charges even without forensic evidence like lab work. How often do these types of cases still get prosecuted? I am very upset as I was stone sober when I had my accident, and appalled that a first responder wouldn't recognize the symptoms of a concussion. Any info would help me greatly!! Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/clammybobamies
    [link] [comments]

    My dad passed away in a Florida hospital and I have yet to receive a death certificate. Today I found out that the Medical Examiner for the county rejected the Doctor's cause of death. Do I have a right to updates from the local Health Department?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 07:09 PM PST

    About a month ago my dad died in an ICU in South Florida. I'm an only child so everything falls to me. When I called the funeral home today, they notified me that the health department had taken over his case. The doctor in question was not responding to additional requests for information, despite several attempts to reach out. The original cause of death was "Septic Shock" but allegedly the hospital was unable to provide sufficient information on how that they reached this conclusion.

    My question is, do I have the right to get regular updates from the health department, since I am next of kin? Is my only option to wait it all out and contact the funeral home occasionally for updates?

    submitted by /u/throwaway-789789
    [link] [comments]

    Boss who owes me 50k has no assets and transferred his house last minute - what can I do?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 03:04 PM PST

    So my last employer failed to pay me for 4 months of work, despite numerous times promising to pay me, and because I liked him/the company/my job, I stuck around. Eventually though I got sick of his promises and quit, and when he still refused to pay me, I hired a lawyer and sued. The company eventually went bankrupt (not because of my case), and apparently my boss lost all his money in it. Fast forward to today and I've won the case and have a judgement against him personally, but it looks like he has almost no assets - like, literally, he has nothing of financial value - besides his house.

    Now look I don't want to be a dick, I hate the idea of taking someone's home from them, but he is a single man living in a house by himself, and he owes me about 50k, so I think it's justified here. However, it looks like right before I won my case against him, he transferred his house to his brother's name for $0. It looks like his brother then SOLD that same house to his OTHER brother, this time for around the actual value of the home (around 400k). So, to recap: boss transferred to brother 1 for $0, then brother 1 sold to brother 2 for ~400k. This seems fraudulent to me - he suddenly transfers his house to his brother right before he gets a judgement of $50k against him, and his brother then sells it to his other brother, all in the span of a couple months? Don't buy it - I believe that this was just to get the house out of my legal reach by any means possible.

    The lawyer I hired for this knows little about these kinds of real estate matters (from what he has admitted to me) yet has told me he doesn't think there is anything we can do about this. Is that true? Is this guy really going to get away with not paying me the money that is owed to me? Isn't this criminal?

    edit: we are in NYC in case that matters

    submitted by /u/throw_away_yay_ay
    [link] [comments]

    Boss is requiring me to run errands off the clock in my own vehicle?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 04:27 PM PST

    [PA] I just started a new job 4 days ago. The employer waited until day 4 to tell me I will need to clock out and use my own personal vehicle every Friday after work. I am to take all the cash from the office to a post office 5 miles out of the way to order a money order. I am to mail this to a corporate office.

    I explained this is out of my way and asked if I could use my own bank for a money order. My boss declined stating I will not be reimbursed.

    He also did not mention reimbursement for the mileage and time spent doing the task.

    Has anyone else ever been in this situation? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/krammiit
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple teachers and administrators of my [18 M] school are abusing their positions to recruit seniors into a pyramid scheme

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 05:34 AM PST

    The title makes it sound like I've made up a conspiracy theory but it's not a complicated situation (at least to explain).

    I'm a senior at a very bad public high school in the deep south. It's the kind of place where if you forgot to stand for the pledge you could expect a teacher to yell at you about "sacrifice" in front of the class for ten minutes. It's predominately white and there is a huge racism problem, teachers are mostly awful, class sizes are giant, so on.

    Two of my teachers work for a pyramid scheme that sells smell oils. They always have the oils sprayed in the classroom (I hate it so much) and they actively try to sell to and RECRUIT students in my class during classtime (seniors, basically all of us eighteen or about to be). At least four girls in the school have signed up to sell this stuff because of teachers.

    I have gone to the vice-principal about this multiple times and was basically laughed at and ignored. I spoke to classmates about this and just found out that the VP sells it too along with other teachers and office people at my school.

    I don't care about them disliking me but I know these pyramid schemes can ruin lives and I don't them doing it to teenagers, I think it's disgusting.

    My parents don't care (mostly not involved in my life, but I tried anyway) and won't do anything. I'm assuming there is some mechanism to report them to a higher educational authority but I don't know what is the best way to do it so there is no retaliation and so it actually makes a difference. All I care about that they can affect is my college, I just want to make sure they can't somehow interfere with it. Sounds crazy maybe but a lot of my teachers seem like the people who would do this if they could and someone gave them a reason to.

    Thank you.

    TL;DR: Teachers + admins in my school sell oil smell bottles to seniors and try to recruit them, including the vice principal and probably the principal. Don't know how to report it in a way that makes sure it will stop and that they won't be able to retaliate on me in some fashion.

    Edit: I realized you need the state. I'm in Alabama. Sorry about that.

    submitted by /u/Background-Concert
    [link] [comments]

    My roommate is growing pot in our apartment in an illegal state, what steps should I take?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 09:55 AM PST

    I moved in to an apartment in June and I was placed with a random roommate and instantly I could tell we wouldn't really be friends but I could tolerate him so I was fine. As soon as I moved in I could tell he was probably selling pot, people were knocking on our door at all hours of the night and people would only stay for 5 minutes and leave. Then 2 months ago when throwing things away I noticed a heroin needle in the trash. And then last month our electricity bill was $60 over the normal amount. It was never close to that high in the summer when we had the AC on all the time, so I thought something was fishy. He also has been super paranoid and installed cameras all over the apartment (even in the public areas which makes me feel uncomfortable). Then I heard him last week tell multiple people that came over that he was growing some weed plants in his room. And I am not trying to live in an apartment where someone is growing pot, it is still illegal in my state and I don't know if I should report it to the office or to the police or just leave it alone since my lease ends in January. I can't afford the electric bill every month if this continues. I'm afraid of just telling the office and he get mad and threaten me. I know for a fact he has a gun because he showed it to me and I know he has anger issues. I hear him yelling all the time over the most mundane things and I know he abuses his dog, I have recordings of the sounds so I could also report him for that. So what steps should I take to protect myself? Could I get in trouble for him having pot plants in our apartment?

    Edit: I don't want to give too much information away on my location as I am worried my roommate could find this and I could be in danger. But it is illegal in my state other than medicinally.

    submitted by /u/myroomateisawful
    [link] [comments]

    Just found out I’ve been paying utilities for both units instead of just mine for a year now.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 04:04 PM PST

    I live in Michigan and I'm renting the lower apartment of a duplex. When I moved in the landlord was renovating the upper unit. One year ago a tenant moved into the upper unit. Today the upstairs tenant asked me to turn on the heat because it was cold, and that's how I found out they don't have separate utilities and they don't pay for any utilities. In the lease it says I'm responsible for my utilities and the landlord is responsible for water. I am already going to talk to the landlord about how to handle this going forward but my question now is do I have a case for collecting backpay on the past year's bills?

    submitted by /u/cucumba_water
    [link] [comments]

    [KY] Am I supposed to be notified of the existence of a HOA when purchasing a home?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 03:41 PM PST

    I bought a house mid-2018 in Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky. I just received a bill for 2019 HOA dues, but I was not aware that my house was part of a HOA. I am almost positive that I was not told of the existence of a HOA when we purchased the home, because my wife and I agreed that we did not want to buy a house that would be subject to a HOA. We would have remembered being told about the HOA, and we would not have purchased the house.

    Was someone supposed to tell me at some point during the home-buying process that a HOA existed? Would it have simply been slipped into one of those 50 papers that we skimmed and signed on closing day? I just re-looked through all the paperwork that we have copies of, and didn't see anything mentioning a HOA.

    submitted by /u/drew_carnegie
    [link] [comments]

    Previous employer withholding $19k+ in sales commission. Help?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 10:27 AM PST

    Not sure this is in the right place so I apologize in advance. Quick and dirty:

    I worked for a little over a year doing business development for a technology startup as a W2 employee. When I left for another job, the company owed me about $22000 in sales commission, documented by email as well as our CFO, billing software with receipts etc. The company was young and strapped for cash, and I had a solid working relationship with the individuals who ran it so at their request I deferred payout until a later date. That was 2015.

    As of today the company has sporadically reimbursed me with $500 checks here and there, but never with any regularity, missing months until I follow up. The reimbursement to date totals ~$2500 and began in Feb 2019. The company continues to operate and have a staff, payroll etc. as well as acknowledge the amount I am due. I feel for the founder/CEO on a personal level, but I worked hard for them when I was employed there and I feel that I am due the rest of my commission, like, yesterday.

    Do I have any options other than continuously dealing with these clowns? Can I take them to small claims court or similar, or is that not worth the trouble? Thank you for your assistance, r/legaladvice!

    submitted by /u/mackerel_fishingtons
    [link] [comments]

    (Missouri) My mother is evicting me, but making my life a living hell in the process.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 04:25 PM PST

    I'm 24 and still live with my parents*. Bad I know, but it's cheaper. I buy groceries and pay the internet bill. My job is low-wage and I can't afford an apartment. We don't have any written agreements, it's all oral.

    Here recently, she's decided she wants me to move out. Not only that, but she's also turned off the electricity to my room and padlocked the laundry room where the circuit breaker is located. She also took a copy of the house's lease to the internet provider's office and had the internet switched over to her name.

    I have unlimited phone data, but I have to leave my home to print anything or charge my phone. I can't use my desktop computer and I can't afford a laptop. She also unplugs my phone when I try to charge it in another room.

    After a bit of research, I found out that the attorney general for my state has a PDF entirely based on landlord-tenant rules. One of them is that the landlord cannot restrict my access to utilities such as water, electricity etc. Written leases are generally good for one year and oral ones are good for 30 days.

    Her claim is that since she's my mother, I have no rights and since the utilities are in her name she can do what she wants.

    I have recieved no written notice and the regular landlord requires his tenants to report who lives there when they sign the lease (to my knowledge). This means that I am (most likely) on the lease, just not as a rent payer.

    Am I entitled to the same rights as a regular tenant and do I have a standing in court if she actually tries to evict me?

    Here is a link to the PDF document:

    https://www.ago.mo.gov/docs/default-source/publications/landlord-tenantlaw.pdf?sfvrsn=4

    Extra information: This was dropped on me very suddenly over the holidays. I'm about to go to college and I'm getting a dorm. I also have a backup plan to live with a friend and I'm getting in touch with my local Comtree housing authority. Her current lease ends next May. My father wants nothing to do with it. I have not damaged any property or done anything illegal, I'm just doing my best.

    Sorry if the format is bad, I'm on mobile.

    submitted by /u/TheTacoAnnihilator
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor falsely accusing me of sex crime

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 08:56 AM PST

    State this pertains to is PA. My neighbor is accusing me of masterbating at my computer desk which is semi visible from my front window. I heard her call the police. After work I have a tendency to go to the gym when I get home from my work out I strip to my gym shorts as I tend to be hot and sweaty. Yesterday afternoon was leg day and as I was sitting in just shorts shirtless I had one hand on my mouse and another on my leg massaging my quadricept. My neighbor who is nosey passed my home walking her dog turned her head as she walked passed and blurted out "what the fuck oh my God" taken aback I turned my head and looked out my window and she accused me if masterbating. I was still in shorts and my hand wasn't near my genital area but since my legs and hand were under the desk I think she was under the assumption I was. I know if I tell my story to the police it will seem suspicious even though it's the truth I heard her call them they haven't come yet to question me yesterday or today. Should I be worried? What are my defenses and what possible charges can I face for this nonsense? I don't plan on talking to police but I'm anxious they will show up.

    submitted by /u/Thagrumple
    [link] [comments]

    [California] Can I Report Someone to Police for Harassing Me If They're In a Public Space?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 05:23 PM PST

    I had a minor fight with someone. I asked them to leave my car and go home. They refused to leave my car, grabbed me when I got out of my car, and then chased me into my house, blocking me from closing the door. This person then moved their car and parked it in my driveway, at which point I called the police and told them everything that happened. (Throughout this I was asking the person to leave, to not come inside my home, to get out of my house, etc.)

    Now that same person is saying he/she will come back to my neighborhood and wait until my family comes home to "tell them something" and I have told this person to stay away from my house and my family.

    My question: if this person does drive back to my neighborhood, can I report him/her to police for harassing me and can the police do anything?

    submitted by /u/PaperbackWriter66
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord is dropping by unannounced. Can I ask him to stop?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 05:35 PM PST

    I live in Washington state.

    Ever since our landlord replaced our roof during the summer, he has been dropping by uninvited with no warning. During the construction, we had no warnings as to when him and his crew would were going to come by to work. That project was supposed to be completed in a week, but it continued into September.

    He recently installed ac in our unit, but he would never tell us when he was going to come in to work on it. That also took longer than he said it would. He installed the entrance to the attic in our car port, meaning he's always coming in and out of there and always above our unit. We live in a duplex and his family rents next door. Either my landlord or his father (who only speaks Bulgarian so we can't effectively communicate with him) would drop by to work either in my home or up in the new attic. Only once or twice have we received a warning that he was going to come by, and this was only hours before he planned to show up. So we either get no warning or a couple hours before.

    While he is working in the attic, he can hear everything going on in the unit so I have no privacy. On top of that he is very loud while up there, every foot step sounds like something falling on the ceiling and dust still comes down when he's walking. Very often, since his family lives next door, they will come over to watch him work or talk to him while he's in my unit. So sometimes I'll have my landlord, his dad, his sister and her husband + kid in my house. Being extremely loud.

    TLDR my landlord shows up with no warning to work on our unit. He often brings his family a long without permission.

    I want to know if he is violating any laws, and how/if I can legally ask him to stop.

    submitted by /u/Ral1s
    [link] [comments]

    Being Stalked and Coming home to door unlocked

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 05:48 PM PST

    For reference, about 2.5 years ago I met up with this man from tinder a few times. I was still in high school (he was about 10 years older than me). I wasn't interested, but he kept on making fake social media accounts to contact me. This happened for about a year until he stopped. Now, for the past few nights I have been seeing a car outside my building with the engine running at night, it normally keeps running for about an hour. It's the same color as his car but I didn't think anything more of it until today. I go to university about 2 hours away from where he lives, but I saw him in his car today on the middle of campus (he is not a student and when I checked his Instagram using the online browser since I blocked him, it appears he still lives where he used to ) . This really caught me off guard as I was not expecting it . I always lock my door before I leave. This evening, when I briefly left, I made sure to lock my door (as I always do). When I came back a short while later, my door was unlocked. I'm not sure if this was related, as I live on campus and you need a student id to access the building, but I feel really uncomfortable about the whole situation and don't know what to do. I came home to an unlocked door last week as well, so I don't know what to make of it but I feel really uncomfortable about the unlocked doors, the running car outside at night, and everything else

    submitted by /u/69goodvibes69
    [link] [comments]

    Was offered a full tuition scholarship... it was a “mistake”

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 06:13 PM PST

    I received a letter in the mail today, congratulating me on an award of a full tuition scholarship for eight semesters. As anyone would be, I was ecstatic about this, and called many family and friends to share the news.

    A few hours after I read the letter, I received a call from the previously mentioned university. They said that the letter was a "mistake", and the result of a computer glitch.

    Legal advice of reddit, is there anything I can do about this? It may seem petty and selfish, but I will not be able to attend any college or university without a significant scholarship/ financial aid. This was my chance to attend a prestigious school that I could AFFORD, and it was more than just a scholarship- it was hope.

    submitted by /u/bandsherts2
    [link] [comments]

    Custody questions in regards of neglectful mother

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 01:36 PM PST

    This is long so bear with me: I'm married to a man who has a 13, almost 14, year old daughter. She was raised out of state from where her father lives her first 11 years of life. During that time it seems like she didn't get much raising. Her mother lost her job two years ago and the child's lived with her father ever since. He patiently was awaiting her to get her life together and she hasn't. She now has no car or place of her own on top of not having a job. Full custody is in mother's name..my husband never made the changes in hopes she'd change but these past 2 years the mother has had over a dozen different phone numbers and she cancels on her daughter for visits very often. She rarely called her daughter. Now her daughter has been inpatient twice due to suicidal attempts and it's because her mother is a huge trigger. It has come to light that she was molested under her mother's "care." Her mom liked to leave her daughter alone a lot with her boyfriend's older sons and one of those kids friends molested her. She's now a huge trauma survivor and it's very hard on top of her being almost 14. My husband is unsure of what to do since we can't afford a lawyer right now for a proper custody hearing but based on her past and her bragging on Facebook how she has felonies in the state she lived with her daughter, can we do just emergency full custody without involving a lawyer? My husband has nothing on his record but a DUI from 15 years ago. We are unsure of what type of felonies the mother has. This occurred in Illinois. She now lives in Mississippi. What can we do? The doctors suggest no contact with mother and the daughter wants nothing to do with her. Any advice would be wonderful

    submitted by /u/Chubberina
    [link] [comments]

    [UPDATE] My cat was euthanized a few months ago. A month ago, an employee of the vet clinic posted a "review" using photos of my cat and a false narrative to badmouth me as the owner. [TX]

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 09:50 PM PST

    Original

    So after we saw that horrid review written by the vet tech (Jane), accompanied by photos of our cat months after we'd had her euthanized, I spoke to the vet clinic's president and let him know I was considering reporting an employee there. He listened to me, then called the clinic to speak to our vet about it and get more information before calling me back. He didn't understand much of what I was explaining to him since he's an older man who doesn't get on the internet, so we arranged to all meet at the clinic so he could look at everything and see what the explanation for it all was. There were multiple calls between him and me and him and the clinic, so meeting in person would make it easier anyway. Here's what happened at the vet's:

    We got there and Jane was the one who greeted us, which was pretty weird. In the corridor was the President of The Company (Dr. B). He was really welcoming and asked us to come into a room and sit down. So there was me, my husband, Dr. B, Jane and our regular vet (Dr. No) sat in this little room in a circle.

    Dr. B starts out by saying he's sorry we've all had to come together to talk but that he doesn't understand social media etc. so it was just easier for us all to sit down together and discuss it rather than going back and forth over the phone.

    Dr. No says he apologizes for what has happened but he doesn't really know what they can do to make things right, and he's wondering why I went to Dr. B rather than coming directly to him.

    My husband starts talking about protocol and how, normally, things like this within companies like theirs (he works in a similar industry) have a policy that means if you take photos inside the facility as an employee and talk about clients on a public platform then you're instantly terminated.

    I explain that I contacted Dr. B as I really like this vet clinic and wasn't filing a complaint against the clinic as a whole, but just against Jane, so I had contacted Dr. B so he could take an impartial look into things and take action if he felt he needed to without having any kind of tie to Jane and to separate her from his company. If I had called Dr. No he may have tried to brush it under the rug and protected her more, since they work together closely, whereas Dr. B only worked at the other facility and didn't know Jane.

    Dr. No says he understands, and that Jane feels bad about it all.

    Jane says she apologizes and that there was no malicious intent there, but that the photos were on her "cloud" with all her other photos, which she's sure I saw when I looked through her photos, so that's why I saw my cat there and that it's technically an invasion of her privacy that I've now seen photos of her with her family (???)

    I tell her that the review IS malicious and, even if it wasn't directed towards me, it is still unprofessional and shows malice towards customers at her place of work.

    Dr. B agrees that it's unacceptable, but that the photos were attached to the review which makes it seem directed towards us, and the review itself is unprofessional and shouldn't have been posted to begin with.

    My husband explains the shock of seeing a photo of our cat posted months after she died, when they were not photos we've taken or seen before, so we momentarily thought someone had her and she hadn't been euthanized after all.

    Dr. No said that it sounds like we're questioning his ethic by thinking he'd allow something like that to happen.

    I explain that it was just a couple of minutes of thinking irrationally, but that I was there when she was euthanized so I soon realized that couldn't have been the case, but it was just the momentary shock of seeing those photos on the review that had me panicking and Googling whether euthanasia could be faked with the use of sedatives.

    Dr. B defends me, telling Dr. No that it was a completely natural response and he'd have probably had the same response had it been him this happened to.

    Dr. No then went on to explain that, by the time he looked at the review, the photos weren't there, so I showed him timestamped screenshots showing that the photos were removed during the phone conversations with Dr. B/Dr. B's phone calls with them, but he said Jane didn't delete them and he never saw these photos.

    Dr. B says that it doesn't even matter, the photos were there either way, he believes me when I say they were deleted at some point during one of our calls on Monday, and that it's not right so it needs to be fixed within the company and they need to figure out how to make things right with us so that we can go home feeling satisfied.

    Dr. No says we should have just called him, and that at first he thought Dr. B was talking about the appointment we just went to a few weeks ago with our other cat, and that I had a complaint against him for malpractice, before finding out it was all about social media and a complaint against Jane.

    I ask Jane how long she's worked there, and she says since 2014. I say that, in that case, she definitely worked there when she posted that review, whether she posted it a few years ago like she claims or posted it a month ago, and that it isn't right that she posted it acting like she's a customer.

    She says she is an employee but is also a customer so she can write a review.

    I tell her that it might be considered illegal to write a review about your place of work that can potentially affect commerce (which someone pointed out in the original post comments). I then say that it also means she was an employee when she wrote her comment on Facebook under a fake profile, in response to someone else's negative review.

    She acted shocked and disgusted and said she has no such FB account or knowledge of what I'm talking about.

    I hand my screenshots to Dr. No showing a negative review on their FB page with a comment response from someone named "NU NU", with no profile picture, and show that when you click the profile for "NU NU" it shows a URL with Jane's full name in it, so either that's her or this is some elaborate and very bizarre scheme by someone else.

    Dr. No sits staring at it for a while while Dr. B has me explain what a URL is and why her name would be in it (I tell him when you sign up for FB you enter your name and it creates a custom URL for you, so hers is her name with "336" at the end).

    Dr. No suddenly says NU NU is actually a customer at a different facility so it can't be Jane.

    Me and Dr. B look at each other and roll our eyes, and he scoffs at this weird claim of "NU NU" not being a fake name for a fake account/being the name of some other "customer".

    I tell them there is also a review written this year on Yelp by Jane, so she demands to see it. I show her and she justifies it as her just giving the hours of the clinic and what treatments they offer. I tell her that isn't all it says and that she needs to not be writing positive reviews for her place of work to begin with.

    I explain that I recommend this clinic to people on a weekly basis. My cat had her own social media page, I'm in a lot of local pet groups, and she's been seen by a lot of people in the area so if they looked up this clinic on my recommendation then saw this negative review with pictures of my cat attached, they would recognize her as my cat and assume that I'm a bad owner who didn't care for her properly as it says in the review attached to her photos.

    Dr. No says that it will all be taken care of, everything will be deleted, and they'll do a better job of managing their social media etc. but that it's a shame I called Dr. B rather than him.

    Dr. B says he's happy we all came and sat down together, because being in front of each other helps you know if someone is being honest, and looking them in the eyes you can tell if they're being sincere. The way he says it comes across as a dig at somebody.

    Jane leaves the room and we all shake hands, but Dr. B tells me "I just want you to know you can call me any time. I honestly do appreciate that you reached out to me over this and gave us a chance to make this right, and I'll tell you now that I'm not satisfied with this outcome at all. I'm not happy with this conclusion and we've got some things to figure out here."

    Dr. No starts going on again about how it will all be deleted, that he doesn't look at the online stuff, meanwhile Dr. B is beside me looking like he wants to say something to me.

    Dr. B finally taps me while Dr. No is still talking to my husband, cutting him off, and says "I need you to know that I don't buy it. I feel like we're being bullshitted and I'm really not happy. I was feeling like I was going to explode during all of that because I'm so mad, so I need you to know that I'm with you on this and I think we're being lied to here and I'm not okay with that." Dr. No looked pretty uneasy about Dr. B not being happy with the way it was handled/that he wasn't convinced by his and Jane's responses.

    We then left.

    TL;DR Jane had excuses, Dr. No was defending her, and Dr. B was not buying any of it so what happened after we left is anyone's guess. I think Dr. B was looking to fire that girl after he saw and heard everything but Dr. No was trying to keep her there. I left feeling annoyed that she didn't seem to get any punishment, but happy that Dr. B was with me and didn't buy into what they were saying, which was my biggest fear. Hopefully I'll hear from him again and he'll be telling me she was scolded after we left at least.

    submitted by /u/rebel_nature
    [link] [comments]

    [NYC] Neighbor had uncontrolled/hidden bed bug infestation for months, causing unexplained persistent problems in my apartment. Exterminator said my next treatment is the last time because our landlord says he can’t treat all of the units in the building.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 09:57 AM PST

    Back in June 2019, my partner and I noticed we had bed bugs in our apartment. We had an exterminator come and treat the place, and we were completely fine. Come mid-October 2019, we start getting bitten again. Our landlord called the exterminator, and he came and treated us right away. He stated he was very confused that they came back after more than three months, but he sprayed.

    Right at the end of the two-week cushion between getting our apartment treated and being able to take all of our clothes and belongings out of plastic bins/containers, the bed bugs came back. The exterminator comes back and scolded us, saying we obviously didn't follow the instructions properly, or the bugs wouldn't have come back after his excellent treatment. We followed his instructions to the letter and told him so, and he shrugged us off. He went ahead and sprayed again anyway, but left my partner and I feeling pretty defeated.

    Well, the very next day, he calls me to tell me he was wrong and that our neighbor across the hall had a pretty serious infestation and didn't tell our landlord or try to get rid of them, and now everything makes sense! So he comes a day or two later and treats the guy's apartment in a HAZMAT-type suit (!!!). However, he let us know that only him and the unit below him agreed to have their apartment treated. The people below us (there are only 4 units in the building) refuse treatment because they haven't had any problems. Our exterminator informed us that the only way to make sure he gets all of the bugs in the building is to spray the emitted apartment, but our landlord says he can't get the unit below us to agree to a treatment. So, we were then stuck waiting to see if treating the problem apartment was enough to fix everything.

    Fast forward three weeks, and we've killed a bed bug every single night. My partner and I spend an hour checking the room that shares a wall with the problem apartment and EVERY INCH of our bed and bed frame to make sure there aren't any bugs before we go to bed. We tell our landlord, who tells us to go ahead and contact the exterminator, who tells us "FYI, remember after this visit will be the last time we're coming. Unfortunately, if we do not your cooperation from the rest of the building we've told the landlord he does not have any guarantees. Thank you,"

    If and when the bed bugs come back, what on earth can my partner and I do?? I should also mention that I am highly allergic to the bites — every bite swells up to the size of a baseball and itches/hurts like crazy.

    submitted by /u/mellamotadpole
    [link] [comments]

    Landlords want us to sign this after fire, help!

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 06:38 PM PST

    Hello,

    This is happening in WA state (US)

    My uncle's apartment building caught on fire a few weeks ago. His apartment did not catch fire but is still deemed uninhabitable due to smoke and asbestos. He has lived in his apartment complex for over 5 years with a good record. Right now he and his daughter are living with me but it has been really difficult for them, especially his daughter since kids died in the fire. The apartment complex had 3 available apartments that he could potentially move into but they won't give us more information unless we sign a document.

    We have never been in this situation before and we sent this document to our red cross social worker who suggested we reach out to someone for legal advice due to the wording on the doc. reads something like this: Mutual Termination of Tenancy & Homeowner Contents Release Agreement Comes now Apartments, and the Tenants, and do hereby agree that the rental agreement for unit __ entered into by the parties, for the property located building A will be mutually terminated, and the tenancy will end by operation of law, on the date that is ___ days following mutual execution of this agreement. The Tenants agree to vacate the property on or before the above termination date, and, if they fail to vacate the unit by such date, that eviction proceedings will be started immediately. DISPOSAL OF CONTENTS – In addition, the parties agree that ABC Restoration's, or other qualified vendor at owner's discretion, shall be permitted to dispose of any and all contents and/or personal property located at ABC, WA which remains after the above termination date. As the current owner of the contents and/or personal property in the above notated location, I agree with the above statement and hereby give ABC Restoration, or qualified vendor of owner's discretion, permission to remove and dispose of my remaining personal belongings. The terms of this notice shall not be changed unless any such changes are in writing and signed by all parties to this agreement.

    another thing to add here is that they (landlords) have been seen going in and out of apartment by other tenants (not affected by fire) and we received a video of the apartment so that we could make a list of items to remove only to find ONE of the two bedrooms torn apart, drawers were open, things that were in drawers were all over the place. Their explanation for this was the fire department, did it? There were a lot of sentimental things in the drawers that were all over the place and now my uncle is afraid that something was stolen. Do we have any cause for anything here?

    After the fire happened the apartment changed the locks for the affected units so that only the landlords had access, they are also fenced so that no one can get in.

    submitted by /u/MRawr_e
    [link] [comments]

    Towed From Paid Apartment Parking Space (MN)

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 01:05 PM PST

    Hoping to get some advice on behalf of my sister, whose car was towed today to the tune of close to $500. My sister moved into an apartment in an apartment (MN, Dakota County) in late August this year. At the time the complex was re-doing the parking garages and could not issue her a garage parking spot, she'd have to park in the lot. Fast forward to 17 days ago when she was issued a garage spot and clicker, for which she paid a deposit and the monthly fee. She also registered her car with the office, giving make, model, license plate # and proof of insurance. For the first week she was paying for this spot, there was some confusion and someone kept parking in her garage spot. She was in the office several times in the last 2-3 weeks about this matter and it was finally resolved and she got her spot back (that she was paying for).

    Fast forward to today - she goes into the garage at 7am to notice her car is missing. Along with 2 other residents who realize their cars are also not in the garage. They proceed to the office where they are informed they did not have a "green" parking sticker, rather a "Grey" parking sticker and hence their cars were towed. (Despite identifying details of their cars and their up to date payment info on file with the office). Come to find out, there was a notice about the sticker change sent around 7pm on Tues, but due to her work schedule, my sister never saw the email and didn't realize it was sent until her car was towed 24hrs later. (And again, she's only had this sticker they issued her for like 3 weeks, AFTER apparently they redid the system(. The cost to get it out of impound was close to $500.

    Any advice on how to proceed? First step I'm assuming is a letter to the apartment complex, but advice about content would be appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/seliz16640
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment