• Breaking News

    Friday, November 22, 2019

    Legal Advice - Alabama - Fired for same sex marriage. What can I do?

    Legal Advice - Alabama - Fired for same sex marriage. What can I do?


    Alabama - Fired for same sex marriage. What can I do?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 10:21 AM PST

    I've worked at a car detailing shop for about 6 years. I've been in the closet the entire time. The culture where I work isn't very accepting. Last year I got engaged to a man and I kept it low key.

    My wedding is next week. I had two weeks of PTO saved up that I was going to use for the wedding/honeymoon. I just told my boss I was taking a vacation to Peru and left out the marriage bit.

    My boss found out that I was getting married and he started pestering me about it. When I wouldn't show him a picture of the "bride" he canceled my vacation time and told me if I don't show up to work I'm fired. The wedding is in motion. I have tickets to Peru. I have a hotel lined up. Everything. Yesterday out of desperation I finally broke down and admitted that I am gay and marrying a man.

    As soon as I got the words out of my mouth he told me I was fired and to "get my faggot ass out of [his] shop."

    So here I am a week away from what should have been the happiest day of my life and I have no job. I burned through my savings to pay for the wedding. What do I do? I'm completely broken up right now and I'm scared. This has completely ruined the wedding for me. I can't stop thinking about losing my job or how I'm going to keep up with my bills and rent.

    Help.

    submitted by /u/Peenlet
    [link] [comments]

    I was falsely accused of a crime.... charges got dropped and now prosecutors won’t do anything to my accuser.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 06:02 AM PST

    This happened in Utah....I was accused of sexual assault, sexual abuse, lewd conduct in 2016. I found out later the woman said that because I didn't want a relationship with her. Well I spent 7 months in jail awaiting trial.... a week before trial my lawyer got her text messages and it showed her telling people she lied. So the charges were dropped. A few months later we talked on Facebook and she admitted she lied about the whole thing. A month into me being in jail we had a preliminary trial and she was placed under oath and she just flat out lied(she later admitted in our Facebook messages specifics that she said on the stand that were false). I took screenshots of the whole conversation and sent them to police and they didn't do squat. Here she is admitting to perjury on a silver platter and they refuse to do squat. My question is what can I do legally to get some kind of justice? She's just a college student so if I sued her I probably wouldn't get any money now... is there a way to get a prosecutor to take the case? I called a couple of news agencies in the state and they're interested in the story... if it came out in the media do you think the prosecutors would feel pressure to finally take action? If I sue her and I get a judgment my way what happens to her if she can't pay it since she's just in college?

    submitted by /u/stilltrickling
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord passed away over a month ago, and his family has now had the internet, heat, and electric turned off. What should i do?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 03:09 PM PST

    Hi everyone. Might be a long one.

    So i moved into a new place at the end of September. Landlord was a really cool dude. My girlfriend, myself, and my emotional support dog ended up renting a room from him. It was a tiny room but the price was good for all 3 of us. We would of shared a bathroom with the person that rented the room next to us.

    About Oct 18th, my landlord passed away very unexpectedly in his bedroom. At this point we were paid through October and for November.

    His ex wife and her family started coming by the house every Sunday to start taking stuff. That was fine. We still had all the basics we needed.

    On the 1st of November the internet got turned off. We were both annoyed but it is what it is. I texted his ex wife and asked them to have it turned back on. They said they are still waiting on the courts to give them access to his bills so they can pay them. I deal with it. This passed Wednesday (20th), everything got shut off. Heat, electricity, there is no hot water, fridge is down, washer and dryer are down. Everything. It really sucks. We live in Colorado and it's snowing and too cold for this.

    I'm 22. My girlfriend is 20. We have no clue what to do in a situation like this? I'm pissed. Going to be looking at a new place tonight to hopefully move into ASAP.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/frankk47
    [link] [comments]

    Coworkers are sexually harassing me, threatening to show employer my nudes unless I sleep with him [Ohio]

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 06:52 AM PST

    I recently started a new job, and a coworker of mine has been following me around the workplace and making sexual comments about me ever since I started. I've asked him to stop several times, but he continues to make comments and ask about my sex life.

    A few weeks ago, I accidentally mentioned something about my boyfriend and I posting several sexual pictures and videos online. Right away, he said he could probably find it and get me fired, but I thought he was just being creepy. Well today he said he used facial recognition software (which I dont believe) to find them, and he mentioned the username I've posted under. Now he is saying if I dont have sex with him, then he will tell my employer about them to get me fired.

    I know OH is an at-will state, so I could be fired for basically anything. I'm also fully aware I put myself in this situation by posting things online, and I used poor judgment by saying anything to anyone. I just want this guy to stop making comments and threats. Another coworker is a long time friend, and he has knew about the vids/pics before I got hired. Recently he has been sending me explicit messages and pictures on snapchat, and I'm worried he will make a similar threat soon as he will likely become a supervisor. I want to gather evidence of the sexual harassment, but it's difficult to do so without them knowing since it is all in person or on snapchat. I'm also afraid I'll be fired if either of them know I have proof. Is this kind of blackmail illegal?

    submitted by /u/sothrowout
    [link] [comments]

    Indiana, USA: I am an IT consultant for a medical provider. I have a HIPAA associate agreement with my client, and the FBI is asking for their server password

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 07:07 AM PST

    Am I required to give that up without a court order? The FBI came into the office and took the medical provider's server and is now asking me for the VMware password.

    submitted by /u/1893Chicago
    [link] [comments]

    (NV) Housekeeper brought a tier 3 registered sex offender to my house to help her clean...

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 08:54 AM PST

    We have had a housekeeper for about a year who has been fine -- friendly, does a good job, not too expensive. A few weeks ago she asked my wife if she could have her boyfriend help her out, and my wife just said "fine". The guy arrives at my house with our housekeeper, and we get to talking and he mentions he had spent time in the joint (with no specifics). I relay this info to my wife who first asks the housekeeper what the deal was. The housekeeper says he was in the join in 2005 for a bar fight. My wife googles him and finds out he's a tier-3 registered sex offender with a conviction for sexual assault on someone under the age of 14 in 2015 -- and he's registered at the housekeeper's address.

    We have a three year old.

    Needless to say, we fired the housekeeper -- but my legal advice question is -- do we just drop it at this point? Or is his being around our child some sort of violation? The guy didn't do anything untoward when he was in the house, mind you. He didn't approach my child, he just did his job and was pilot to all of us. But, I'm sure the housekeeper has other clients and, given she wasn't upfront about this guy and now realizes that she'll likely be fired if a client finds out, she's likely to continue having him go to houses and help clean without informing he clients of his past.

    So, drop it or report him?

    submitted by /u/housekeeperdidwhat
    [link] [comments]

    After 25 years, I found my father in an obituary. How can I find out if he had assets? - Him (FL) Me (TX)

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 04:22 PM PST

    Long story short, my criminal father fled over 25 years ago. Not only did he steal from my mother (to the point of bankruptcy and U.S. Marshals knocking on our door), he owes us over $100k in child support payments.

    Today I found out he died this year from cancer. Is there any way I can find out if he had any assets? He was a well-traveled con man who resided in Florida. From a quick public records search, it seems like he owned a home. I'm reluctant to pay for any public records services because I don't know how legitimate they are.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/drivingalexis
    [link] [comments]

    [NJ] University has security cameras that I am 99% sure aren't working. My bike ($500) was stolen from there and the detective in charge was "on vacation" every time I went to see them. After three months of investigative work, they closed the case without even telling me. Can I do anything legally?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 11:06 AM PST

    This is my first post here, so I apologize if it sounds like I am rambling. This happened in May 2018 and I came to learn that my situation is not unique as a few of my other friends and strangers are also facing the same situation. I am rather annoyed that the security cameras and police that are meant to provide a sense of security are not doing that.

    I am at a college that has a lot of people from a lot of places all over the world. So it is a pretty large school and there are a ton of security cameras all over the place. It has cameras that are watching almost every doorway into a building. Right next to these doors are bike stands. Last year in May, I parked my bike next to the door of one of the math buildings around 8:00 pm and went in to study. I finished around at 11:00 pm and came outside to see that my bike had been stolen. The bike was a Cannondale Trail 7 29er that a family member bought for me for $500. Since it was a relatively expensive bike, we also bought a Kryptonite cable and U-Lock since they were somewhat reputable when it comes to locking up bikes. I wrapped the cable through my bike frame, around the bike stand and used the U-lock to secure it. I realize now that I should've put the U-Lock around my rear wheel and frame and then through the bike stand, or if you have another way you lock your bikes please let me know so I can learn.

    Nevertheless, I locked it up and come to find the cable has been cut and the bike had been stolen. I saw on the ground, where my bike was, that the velcro strap that went around the cable was removed, meaning the cable was definitely cut. There was also the lock nut from the front tire of my bike. I went to the garbage can near the bike stand to see if they threw anything else out and saw that there was another cable that was cut from another person's bike but nothing of mine. So now, I understand that two bikes were stolen, mine and another person's, at the same time. I placed a police report immediately and had a cop come, take information and tell me that a detective will be on the case. The story gets even better because two days later, another bike was stolen. I walked out and saw this man with his helmet looking around the bike stand and when I asked him if his bike got stolen, he said that it was. This bike theft happened around 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm in broad daylight. I stayed with him for a bit until he submitted his police report and went our separate ways.

    Over the next few weeks, I kept checking craigslist and bike shops to see if a bike with my model and my serial number came through their doors and unfortunately none did. I did also call and go to the police office multiple times to ask about the investigation. The responses I got were "the detective is on vacation" for roughly 4 weeks. I then asked when the detective would be in and on that day, I went into the police office and asked if the detective was in. They said that she was, but that she was busy or unavailable and that they have another officer that I could talk to. I asked a few questions to the other officer and then left. I came back again to ask for the detective two more times and got the same response, that she was busy, and I left. The last time I went, another police officer, again not the detective, greeted me, mentioned that they found no leads and closed the investigation without informing me.

    I myself walked through the building and everywhere outside and counted at least 5 cameras that could've potentially captured a frame of someone taking my bike. Yet, there was no lead whatsoever about who could've taken my bike, or the two other bikes that were stolen from the same bike rack (because I asked the police about the other two cases of stolen bikes).

    I found it rather ridiculous that they found no leads so I decided to check the cameras. I checked another building's cameras during the night and saw that the infrared lights were on and that the camera was active. I used my iPhone 6 to take a picture of the infrared lights and they had a slight purple haze around them. However, the cameras where my bike got stolen had no such color. Either it means that ALL the infrared lights are broken or the cameras are not on. I am starting to believe that the cameras around the math building have never been turned on, at least since my bike got stolen, and they made no effort to replace them.

    I understand that perhaps it may be too late for me to get my bike back, but I still think that the university should do something about the lack of security around the building. From the multiple bikes that have been stolen, it seems like my bike getting stolen wasn't an isolated incident. So for the security of others at least, the university should repair, replace or upgrade these cameras. Is there any legal course I can take that ensures that they fix the cameras on the building? Even when we place work orders for such things, they take months to be processed and implemented. I am getting tired of hearing stories about people getting their stuff stolen and the police not being able to hold anyone accountable for these crimes because "they have no leads."

    tl;dr: My bike got stolen during the evening along with another person's bike. Two days later, another bike gets stolen. Detective is "on vacation" for four weeks and is always too busy to meet me and discuss the case with me. The investigation is closed after three months without notifying me and I realize now that the cameras may not even be functional. What can I do?

    Also, I don't know what flair to add or if it is even needed... I would appreciate any help you all have so we can at least make the school secure for people after I graduate. If there is any way I can get my bike back or compensation, I would also very much like that, but it is not a priority.

    submitted by /u/InfininN
    [link] [comments]

    Texas, serves papers for a house I did not know I owned?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 03:07 PM PST

    I am distant from my family due to childhood abuse. My mom died a year and a half ago and I was never informed of a will or received any documents. She remarried so I assumed he got everything. Flash forward to today and I got served papers for property taxes owed on a house from her??? Isn't there some sort of legal obligation to inform me I own a fucking house? Furthermore what are my options? I honestly don't care about the house. I just don't want to pay the taxes on something I never knew I owned. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Thesadmodel
    [link] [comments]

    Tenant opened our mail, says we cannot end the lease [FL, US]

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 04:10 AM PST

    Hi everyone, thank you for reading

    State: Florida

    My mother began renting out our old home, but we still had mail being sent to that property. My mother went to pick up the mail one day, and did not see anything in the mailbox. She then went to the front door to get the mail, and found that the tenant had opened some of the mail that was for my mother, one of them being our water bill.

    I did not know our old home was being rented out. I had a replacement credit card sent to that property and only an hour after I was notified the card had arrived, I was also notified from my bank that someone had already began using the credit card.

    My mother wants to evict them because of this, but they are saying we cannot end the lease because we signed the contract. My mother does not know what do, and I can tell this is really stressing her out.

    I understand them tampering with our mail is already breaking the law, but what should our next steps be to get them off the property?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/zowieheyreal
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] Neighbors dog got under the fence and was attacked by our dogs and was gravely injured.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 01:44 PM PST

    We have two retired racing greyhounds. Both are about a year-and-a-half off the track. They're normally super friendly, wonderful dogs that get along well with other large dogs. However, they've been bred and trained to catch small prey. So, they're aggressive towards cats, squirrels, rabbits and small dogs.

    Our neighbors who rent (if it matters) the house next door have two small dogs. Today, one of them, a Chihuahua, somehow got into our yard. He probably got into our fenced-in yard by going under the 6-foot high privacy fence. That portion of the fence belongs to their landlord, not us. Our dogs, who are normally inside, were let out today when my mother-in-law came over. She was not aware the Chihuahua was in our yard. When our dogs got outside, they immediately went for the Chihuahua and attacked it.

    My MIL was able to get our dogs away from Chihuahua. The neighbor, who heard the commotion came over and retrieved, their injured dog. While the dog was alive, its condition didn't look good. We're not sure if it will survive. This just happened, so I don't have any update yet.

    Are we liable at all? Will animal control take any action against our dogs? I feel horrible and would prefer to talk to the neighbor and apologize when I get home, but am worried about what that does to any liability I may have. What strategy should I take?

    submitted by /u/OxfordCommaRule
    [link] [comments]

    massachusetts - under 18, but my manager refuses to take me out of a 12 hour shift that ends at 11pm. they claim this shift is legal.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 08:48 PM PST

    i am 17 years old, working at an unspecified clothing retailer in massachusetts. i am currently scheduled to work a 12 hour shift + 1 hour break on black friday. i was originally only supposed to work a 5 hour shift, but they rescheduled me.

    the massachusetts government website states that minors under 18 (a) cannot work longer than a 9 hour shift and (b) cannot work past 10pm.

    i contacted my manager, figuring it was likely a scheduling error, but they claimed that because of "extended holiday hours", i am legally permitted to work this shift.

    i did some pretty surface level research, but no massachusetts government website says anything about minors being permitted to work later and longer shifts during the holiday season. i have not responded to her text yet, as i am unsure of what to do next.

    is there really a law that states minors can work this shift during the holiday season? if there isn't, how do i call my employer out for lying to me? is there any legal action i could/should take?

    also, after this incident, i no longer plan to remain at my job. so i either get the shifts shortened to a legal shift length, i get proved wrong, or i quit now.

    submitted by /u/fruitsausages
    [link] [comments]

    My mother was attacked by dogs. She took legal action and now the lawyer is saying she has to split any settlements with a neighbor who was also attacked. Asking for more clarity on this situation. Thank you.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 03:35 PM PST

    So simply put. Some dogs attacked my mom and a neighbor. It wasn't pretty. My mother got a lawyer and has been dealing with legal action for a while now.

    Very recently the lawyer told her that she has to split any money WITH the neighbor who also got attacked. Something about they will only pay out a a certain sum to ALL victim's involved.

    My mother had no idea about this until recently. Does anyone here have any experiences with something like that? Is that a legit thing that happens? Why are my mother's and the neighbor's legal actions even connected at all? They have different cases, different lawyers, etc. Everything.

    Any clarity on this would rock. Thank you so much for your time.

    EDIT: This is in Oklahoma.

    submitted by /u/BatGasmBegins
    [link] [comments]

    Fired while on leave for sexual assault

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 06:21 PM PST

    Hi all,

    This is somewhat of a shock and I'm having a hard time processing. My sister was recently sexually assaulted. She is a receptionist at a luxury car dealership and took several days off the following week from work, and was handed a notice of termination at the end of her shift today. We are obviously having trouble processing this all, but I'm stuck feeling as though this was a wrongful termination. Do we have any recourse in this? If so, how would we approach it?

    I'm cross-posting here from the Canadian subreddit for visibility, though I know there's likely much different laws regarding employment.

    Thanks for reading, and stay safe.

    submitted by /u/ThrowawayLACanada123
    [link] [comments]

    Threw a small party some girl I know accessed my phone and laptop while I was asleep and sent a bunch of money to herself through zelle which is connected to capitalone 360 accounts.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 09:00 PM PST

    So title says it all but I guess its only one I saw fitting. Had a few mostly what I thought were good friends over for drinks last. Night was a really good time I thought at least. I hooked up with her she crashed in my bed I was slammed I passed oit right after we you know.

    So today was busy and didnt check my phone email or anything really. I went to get a pack of cigarettes I know I'm a smoker gross. But my card came up declined now at the time needless to say i just moved into my own small place and until i got payed i had 69 dollars in my bank account not being funny i will screen shots of transaction. She logged into my laptop I assume. I live alone and only I ever use it here and bash me not password on it ok. Which once she got on idk how she knew maybe my history I used capital one and shame me some more since I use antivirus and what not I auto fill alot of passwords and that was one .

    Capitalone360 has in your checking to send money with zelle in their app she sent the 69 dollars and I just found out really a little bit ago. She sent it to her fucking number and real name And it's not even 70 bucks but it's all I had its 12 at night here do I call cops tmrw I cant contact capital one to even dispute or something till then it's just a stupid situation and I'm not vengeful but it's legit all the money I had to my name for a few days I want something to be done. Is my.only retribution to just try and dispute and hope I can get it back

    Edit: like yo I pay for the alcohol here the weed let them eat drink whatever and she does that its food for my cats and lmfao I really like to know is there anything I can do legally idc if she just gets a slap 9n the wrist

    Edit2: cop showed up looking like John wick long story short I think hes gonna handle it

    submitted by /u/Methodicalonex
    [link] [comments]

    Lease rules vs. HOA rules as a renter

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 12:42 PM PST

    State-Wisconsin

    So I've been renting a private condo for awhile now. I own reptiles and amphibians. Per my lease I'm not allowed dogs or cats but I had the landlord specifically write in there that I was allowed reptiles and amphibians.

    Last week I was in the garage when the lady that lives below me struck up a conversation. Somehow we got on the topic of animals and she said she's always wanted a snake. I told her I had some snakes that I'd be willing to sell her if she was really interested. She replied and said that she didn't think we were allowed to have reptiles in the building. She seemed friendly and I didn't think much of it.

    Fast forward to today when I got a call from my landlord. She informed me that she misunderstood the HOA rules and that reptiles were not allowed in the building and that someone ratted me out. I was told that all animals need to be gone in 2 days or I'd be fined $100 per day per animal. If they are going to count each animal individually (Some of my dart frog tanks have multiple frogs in them) we're looking at well over $5k a day which is ridiculous.

    Apparently the HOA had entered my apartment one day without me knowing and took photos. I feel like this is not legal and I'm a little uncomfortable with strangers who I don't know having access to my apartment like that. Let alone taking pictures of my things.

    Today I received an official letter from the HOA saying I'm in violation of rule 21 which states "Pets. No more than two household pets (two (2) cats per Unit, or two (2) dogs per Unit, or one cat (1) and one (1) dog per Unit) may be kept at the condominium by those owning or occupying any individual Residential Unit. As used in this rule, "household pets" shall include dogs, cats, fish, and caged birds. All pets must be kept indoors at all times. The restriction on number of pets does not apply to fish. Pet owners shall keep their pets from creating a nuisance or noise at all times."

    What are my options here? Am I liable for these fines? Can I be evicted for this? Do I have any recourse for someone entering my apartment without my knowledge? Also the rule defines household pets as dogs, cats, fish, and caged birds. Can I make the argument that by their definition my reptiles do not constitute as household pets and are therefore exempt?

    Any advice would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/Educational-Cat
    [link] [comments]

    Physical Therapy place told me my visits were covered under insurance. Then, they sent me a $1300 bill telling me I'm out of network

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 07:41 PM PST

    ARIZONA - I'm not sure there's anything I can actually do, legally, but wanted to ask just in case.

    I am a classically trained musician and I started to have pain in my shoulder. I went to a physical therapy place that I have been to in the past that took my insurance.

    Every time I had an appointment, before I left they would ask if I wanted to schedule another, saying I had x number of free appointments left on my insurance. This totaled to about 7 appointments that I went to. Not once did they tell me there was an issue with my insurance covering the bill.

    Now, two months later, they're asking me to pay up. When I called the PT place to ask about the bill, the woman I spoke to admitted that they did not tell me I was out of network and wants to negotiate my bill down, but I haven't had that conversation yet so I'm not sure by how much. I don't want to pay for something I was told was free to me and covered by insurance. I am angry that this has happened but I don't have any physical proof that they told me my appointments were free.

    Is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/sleepylau
    [link] [comments]

    Trespassing deterrents- they STOLE MY DOG

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 04:34 PM PST

    Trespassing help

    My dog..

    Yesterday two males unknown to me broke into my property, broke down my back fence, middle of the day and attempted to steal my two younger dogs. Sadly got away with one before my neighbor saw the unknown men in hoodies handing off on of my dogs and she yelled and the dashed off, jumping my fence and away. My family doesn't feel safe, my spouse, child and I are heart broken.

    Key factors of this incident: 1. My neighbor camera was push down to avoid recording the area. 2. Back fence was pushed down behind my shed 3. Wooded area boarders an other neighborhood behind mine 4. Other items stolen 5. My spouse was home in the front part of my house when it happened (they are safe thankfully )

    What are the rules of fencing, barb wire, or deterrents for trespassing on my property? There is a small wooded area right behind my property line and end of my fence. What are rules if I catch someone on my property or scoping it? What are the laws of my family defending themselves?

    Thanks for any information

    Charlotte NC USA

    1: We called police waiting on report 2: Unsure of who owns the property (the woods) 3: waiting on police report for insurance ( I have a advance understanding of the insurance part and how sadly pets are considered property and how it's handled)

    submitted by /u/LuminouzLight
    [link] [comments]

    Photo green light camera says I was going 11 mph over limit, is there an official margin for error or these cameras?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 07:14 PM PST

    Oregon, where as of relatively recently you can get a ticket for speeding through a green light.

    Citation says I was going 56 in a 45 (right where the speed limit drops from 55 to 45, but I guess that doesn't really matter). So 11 mph over the limit. ORS 810.437 says I need to be going at least 11 mph over the limit to get a ticket from a camera.

    If the margin for error is even 1 mph I'd get out of this right? Is there an official margin of error? Any advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/WilliamRandolphLies
    [link] [comments]

    Son‘s biological mother showed up at his school

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 01:03 PM PST

    Long story short we were young we had a child his mother took off when he was three after a custody battle that lasted about a year showed back up about three years ago when I got into a serious relationship communicated with our son only via phone and one in person meet up. That lasted a total of four weeks have not heard from her again until today when she showed up at my sons school to pick him up fortunately I got a heads up from the principal I showed up at the school before she showed up to pick him up and I took him out of school. Legally according to the court order she was supposed to have him every other weekend that has not happened at all. Ever. The school resource officer said that they could not legally tell her no if she had have gotten to the school before me. Is there something I can put in place that will make it so that she cannot show up at his school and pick him up? I will go back to court and put in a motion to modify the court order but I do not know of any sort of order that I could have placed on her so that she could not show up at his school until the order gets changed. Please help

    submitted by /u/Bgrizzle08
    [link] [comments]

    I fought a citation on completely reasonable grounds, and my fine was reduced instead of dismissed.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 07:59 AM PST

    Denver. 31st of October, cops are doing whatever to meet their quotas. I got a $50 fine for parking on a street that said "No parking on weekdays, Sat/Sun/Holidays/without permit EXCEPT September through May." Am I absolutely mad? Is October not between September and May? How do I get this completely dismissed?

    The mail they sent me (after I used the public works website to contest the ticket) said that the court considers the matter closed. What the hell is this??? It's not even a matter of parking, it's the damn date. I'm just befuddled.

    submitted by /u/Thwonkity_Thwonk
    [link] [comments]

    Ohio - Can my mom kick me out when I turn 18?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 09:12 PM PST

    First I need to give a bit of context, I am 17, about 6 months till I turn 18. I am diagnosed with Generalized anxiety disorder and Major depressive disorder. I have anxiety attacks daily and can not go though day to day life on my own.

    When I was 7 my father died and we moved overseas to his home country in North Africa. We lived with his family who started abusing me and then she did to. Throughout my childhood and early teenage years I was abused and neglected. We have since moved to america and she has stopped abusing me, but it hasn't gotten much better other than that.

    She would always tell me she wanted to kick me out when I turned 18, but she stopped saying that when she stopped being abusive. Now she has started saying it again and she seems serious about it. I wouldn't put it past her because she got kicked out when she was 16.

    Pretty much I am asking can she kick me out when I am 18?

    Forgot to add this but I will still be in high school at that point, I will be starting my senior year after I turn 18.

    submitted by /u/Rami1_-_
    [link] [comments]

    California: tech company has overly restrictive stock black out dates for employee stock. Is this legal?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 03:11 PM PST

    The tech company I work for here in California offers both stock options and the ability to participate in a purchasing plan to buy stock at a discounted rate.

    However, once your shares are vested/you own the stock, it becomes ridiculously hard to sell because the company has internally restricted employee stock movement to exactly 3 days out of the year. They also sent a particularly insulting email heads-up saying that certain executives have worked it out so they can legally sell stock while the rest of us are barred from doing so.

    They are using the excuse that they are "complying with insider trading laws" but I have looked into that and I don't see any language that would require restricting stock movement to 3 days out of the whole year. I have been calling the third party company who manages the stock to try to sell the shares for months now, only to be told my company has placed a restriction with no communication on when it would end.

    Is this legal? I feel like they are denying me compensation that they contractually stated they would be providing me, is that correct? And importantly, if they are in violation of something can I report this in a way that doesn't single me out? A lot of my coworkers are pissed off about this. Ideally I would like a regulatory agency to step in on our behalf.

    Additionally: I can see a future where a few weeks before they release the black out period, the executives sell off a bunch of stock which devalues it immensely. Then, release it to us for 3 days and we have no choice but to sell it or lose access entirely. Then they buy it back up for cheap and reinstate the blackout period. It seems like we are getting set up to get screwed over here.

    submitted by /u/gimmie_my_stock
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment