• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 23, 2019

    Legal Advice - My high school is saying that I dropped out of school almost 13 years after I graduated and received a high school diploma. Is there any legal recourse?

    Legal Advice - My high school is saying that I dropped out of school almost 13 years after I graduated and received a high school diploma. Is there any legal recourse?


    My high school is saying that I dropped out of school almost 13 years after I graduated and received a high school diploma. Is there any legal recourse?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 06:13 PM PST

    I graduated high school in Oklahoma, 2007. Hands shook, congratulations given, diploma awarded, and sent on my way. Shortly after completing school I joined the military and I've worked for the gov't on some level ever since. Recently, I decided it was time to tackle some higher education. While contacting my old school to get transcripts sent over to the college I was informed that the transcripts indicate that I dropped out of school. "Nonsense!", I tell them. "I have a diploma from the school!" The lady on the other line seemed as confused as I was. I emailed her pictures of the diploma, and was assured that the principal and superintendent of the district were taking it seriously and looking into it. The next day I received an email that said something like, "Supporting documents that accompany your transcript get destroyed after 5-7 years, so this is going to be tough, but we'll continue to look into it."

    Not really the response I was hoping for, but I guess at very least they're "looking into it".

    The other day I filed a complaint with the department of education, but I would really like options on what legal standing I have. This whole thing could have a ripple effect through my life in some pretty catastrophic ways, as well as being emotionally exhausting. It's hard to imagine calling up your school nearly 13 years after leaving and hearing them tell you that you dropped out and that you're not a high school graduate, even though you clearly did not, and nothing was said to you about it in over a decade, but take my word for it, it feels terrible.

    submitted by /u/ApparentlyDidntGrad
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord didn't notify me of rent increase until AFTER my "Advance Notice Deadline". Now it's too late to give them 60 days notice, but I must move out. Did they fail to uphold the lease... or did I?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 03:25 PM PST

    So I've been living at this complex for two years now and have enjoyed it. My lease ends on December 3rd (and I've quoted the relevant text from the lease below). However, my landlord JUST notified me of a significant rent increase if I were to renew. This means I don't want to (and really CAN'T) afford to live here anymore. If I were to be moving out, I would have had to give them 60 days notice as outlined below. That date would be October 3rd. However, they didn't notify me of the rent increase until NOVEMBER 11TH (only 23 days notice). If I'm reading this lease correctly, they should have notified me by September 28th (5 days before October 3rd - read the bolded text under paragraph 30). But because they didn't give me the proper notice, I can't give them the proper 60 day notice. I have yet to discuss this with them, but since they try to squeeze every penny out of their tenants, I have a feeling they're gonna try to force me to pay the "two months of rent fee" to move-out. I haven't renewed and the month-to-month rent is a 50% increase in my current rent. So either of those options really don't work for my wallet.

    So I basically feel like I got screwed over. Is this correct and am I legally allowed to break my lease at expiration since they didn't uphold their end?? Or did I somehow fuck myself over with this??? I'm not sure how I was to make a renewal decision if they didn't notify me of the rent price...

    1.... This lease term will automatically renew month to month unless either party gives at least sixty (60) days (the "Advance Notice Deadline") written notice of termination or intent to move out as required by paragraph 31A. Please see paragraph 30 pertaining to Rent Increases and Lease Contract Changes, which can go into effect for the month-to-month renewals at the end of the lease term or renewal periods.

    1. RENT INCREASES AND LEASE CONTRACT CHANGES. No rent increases or Lease changes are allowed before the initial Lease Term ends, except for changes authorized by a written addendum or amendment signed by you and us, or by reasonable changes of apartment rules.

    If, at least five (5) days before the Advance Notice Deadline referred to in Paragraph 1, we give you written notice of rent increases or Lease changes effective when the Lease Term or renewal period ends, this Lease will automatically continue month-to-month(modified by sixty (60) day notice provision) with the increased rent or Lease changes. The modified Lease will begin on the date stated in the notice (without necessity of your signature) unless you give us written 60 day move-out.

    31A. MOVE-OUT NOTICE. Before moving out, you must give our representative advance written move-out notice as provided below. Your move-out notice will not release you from liability for the full term of the Lease or any renewal term. You will still be liable for the entire Lease Term if you move out early, except under the military clause (Paragraph 22). YOUR MOVE-OUT NOTICE MUST COMPLY WITH EACH OF THE FOLLOWING:

    (a) Your move-out notice must be in writing. Oral move-out notices will not be accepted and will not terminate your Lease.

    (b) Your move-out notice must not terminate the Lease sooner than the end of the Lease Term or renewal period.

    (c) The move-out date in your notice must be either the last day of the month or the exact day designated in your notice, provided such date is at least sixty (60) days after the date your notice is received.

    (d) We must receive advance written notice of your move-out date. The advance notice must be at least the number of days of notice required in Paragraph 1. However, if a move-out notice is received on the first, it will suffice for move-out on the last day of the month of intended move-out, provided that all other requirements above are met.

    YOUR NOTICE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IF IT DOES NOT COMPLY WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE. Please use our written moveout form. You must obtain written acknowledgement from our representative that we received your move-out notice. If we terminate the Lease, we must give you the same advance notice – unless you are in default.

    31B. EARLY TERMINATION. During the initial term of this Lease, you shall have the option to terminate your remaining responsibility for rent due for the balance of the Lease Term by providing us with written notice of not less than thirty (30) days together with payment of an early termination fee equal to two (2) months rent. The Lease will be considered terminated upon our receipt of a proper written notice (signed by all Residents), payment of the early termination fee and all rent and other charges due through the date of your vacating the Apartment. If you fail to timely vacate, pay the early termination fee, or pay any other charges due through date of vacating, the attempted early termination permitted by this provision shall be deemed void, and the other provisions of this Lease with respect to charges associated with a breach of the Lease, and your responsibility for such charges, shall apply.

    submitted by /u/drewer23
    [link] [comments]

    Boss sent out an email threatening to fire any employees who discuss their wages.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 04:05 PM PST

    It's illegal in th US for an employer to prevent employees from discussing their wages.

    As you might be able to tell from this situation, my boss is pretty horrible and makes our life hell.

    Can any action be taken against my boss? Any chance of getting him fired?

    Edit: Not sure if it makes any difference but the place I work has a few managers that are on salary but everyone else makes close to minimum wage. The positions we hold are very much "high school jobs".

    We are just a branch of the company and therefore the managers still report to corporate.

    submitted by /u/Xeno_Strike
    [link] [comments]

    Police at my door with a search warrant for my Dad who hadn't lived here for 10 years..what should I have done?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:46 AM PST

    This happened in England. 2 riot vans and about 15 police officers showed up at my house after arresting my dad for 'prevention of criminal damage' as he was planning to handcuff himself to railings outside a meeting to protest some climate thing.

    He gave them my family home as his even though he hasn't actually lived here for almost a decade, they showed me the warrant, I told them he doesn't live here, they didn't care and came in anyway, they searched my house found old pictures of my dad and used it to say I was lying to them about him living here.

    Apparently they used some anti terror laws to action the search warrants for the protesters that they shouldn't of and all of the protesters where released with no charges, thing was...I had quite a large chunk of hash and a half ounce of stinky stinky bud which they took from me and arrested me for, so turned out I was the only one who got any charges out of this whole fiasco and I'm pissed off about it.

    Update - Some people seem to want to know where they found my stash, good tactics by the officer I guess, before anyone else came in when it was just me and him, he asked me 'is there anything we're going to find here that we shouldn't be finding son?'

    I with every fibre in my body screaming how wrong it was reached under the computer desk and slid out my tray, handed him 2 1/2 ounces of hash which he brought it up to his eye level and said 'fuckin hell son, thats a big lump'.

    Was a surreal experience going to the station with my skunk stinking up the van. Guy seemed to feel pretty sorry for my situation and told me what to say during the interview then they'd just let me go with a caution. Dad repaid the green debt within a few days.

    submitted by /u/IdontNeedUrKarma
    [link] [comments]

    Employee lying about salary. What actions are legal here?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 06:52 PM PST

    This is in California.

    I'm in kind of a frustrating situation. I run a small company; 25 employees, no HR department. 6 months ago I hired a guy, "Kevin", for a development role. He's turned out to have a somewhat annoying personality, but he gets the job done so I didn't mind.

    Last week, three of my female employees asked to meet with me. They were very unhappy because Kevin told them his salary, and it was significantly more than they were being paid, despite them being senior to him. They accused me of gender discrimination.

    Here's the thing though. The number Kevin told them is total bullshit. It's almost double what I'm actually paying him. If it had just been one employee, I would have thought it might be a miscommunication, but he independently told three people the same bullshit number. I have no idea why except some misguided attempt to impress them. Either way, I'm pissed.

    I'm really not clear legally what I can do here. I know it's legal for employees to share their salary, and I would never punish someone for doing that. But is it also legal to lie about it? I want to tell the other employees the truth, but it feels weird for me as a boss to disclose another employee's salary to THEM. It also feels wrong that Kevin is just allowed to get away with this.

    submitted by /u/lyingemployee234
    [link] [comments]

    Pre ordered product from a hobby store, hobby store was then robbed and the store was no longer able to fulfill order, tells me to ask bank for charge back and bank tells me they cannot. Store is now out of business and I'm not sure what my options are.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 03:10 PM PST

    So back on April-ish I ordered two boxes of magic the gathering product for about 400 dollars. A few weeks before the product was released, it was stolen from the store and the owner was unable to get more. I tried to do a charge back but I get a letter some time later saying that they cannot. Now the business is gone and i still have neither product nor what i paid for it. I have tried to contact the owner but they seem to be ignoring me. So not sure if I'm legally able to get my money back, and how much it would cost me to do so, am I SOL or is there anything I am able to do to get my money at back?

    submitted by /u/Crackerpool
    [link] [comments]

    My mother is refusing to take my siblings and me to the airport to catch our plane.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 05:20 AM PST

    My mother is refusing to take my siblings and me to the airport to catch our plane so that we can spend the holidays with my father. This trip was mandated by the courts as all holidays are the days that my father has us due to their split custody. She is saying that it is because we have no ticket back. However, she is the one who was supposed to pay for the tickets back and has thus either been unable or unwilling to do so. As such my father has already offered to drive us back to the airport. Is there anything that I can do or am I just caught unable to do anything?

    Edit: My parents were able to settle the issue and my father was able to procure new tickets.

    FL, USA

    submitted by /u/Oryzaki
    [link] [comments]

    Mom's medical information was leaked on local TV, even though she specifically asked not to be shown.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 09:55 AM PST

    My mom was in the hospital and a local TV station came in for a news report. They went around interviewing certain patients briefly, and my mom was one of them. She specifically asked them not to show her face and she didn't sign any paperwork. This news station promised that she would not be identified.

    The next day, my dad recorded the event on TV, and she was in full view. Not only that, they showed her medical bracelet with her identifying information.

    She's been stressed out over this, and doesn't want to deal with it. Me and my dad think this is a huge deal and needs to be reported. We also have no idea what kind of damage is we would be looking at, if any from this

    I believe she's stressed out because she doesn't think she can do anything about it. I'd like to understand situation we are in from a legal point of view to help her figure out what we should do. We live in Maine, if that makes a difference.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TheWilted
    [link] [comments]

    $16K stolen from my dad's 401k. Help please!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 03:46 PM PST

    Hello, my dad got money stolen from his 401K account and we're trying to get legal or financial advice on what to do.

    Here is what he said happened:

    "I received an email from my 401K company, The Contractors Plan. I received a text notification from my 401K company that a loan has been approved and that a direct deposit will be sent to someone's banking account.

    I called my 401K company and told the rep that I did not apply for that loan. She said it was too late and that I can write a check to them to cover the loan.

    The next day, I called in to inquire about the case. She told me that the deposit went to totally different bank that I do not use, Well Fargo. She told me that it was a mistake, and that my $15900 will go back to my 401k account this upcoming Friday.

    However, the manager later called me and told me that her 401k company cannot do anything to help me with this case now. She told me that it is my now my responsibility to call the police and file a report.

    I then went to a Wells Fargo Bank and explained what happened to my 401k account. I gave them a print out of some information about the person that received my 401k money.

    The rep there told me to have The Contractors Plan company to file a claim by writing a letter of indemnity to Wells Fargo. After that I emailed my 401k manager the notes that Wells Fargo Rep told me.

    However, I do not know what to do now."

    edit 1: we filed a police report for the 401k identity theft! they will contact us again in 24 hrs

    edit 2: we contacted the Wells Fargo Fraud Department. They said they couldn't do anything.

    edit 3: we've filed a report to the FTC for Identity Theft

    submitted by /u/itsKippy
    [link] [comments]

    My aunt is keeping my deceased fathers letters to me, from me.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 06:11 PM PST

    Sorry the tittle sounds confusing.

    To make a long story short my mom legally abandoned me at 5 years old. I was left to live with her bio sister, my aunt. My aunt was abusive in the sense of pouring dish soap down my throat till I vomited and other instances. She never spanked me but would have her husband spank me, bare assed with a belt.

    Getting to the real reason I'm here, my father was dying of bone marrow cancer in the early 90's while I was a young child. When I was 6 he lost his battle. Before he died my dad wrote letters to me. My aunt has hid these letters from me for years. I am now 32 and have just learned of these letters. My aunt refuses to speak to me or even answer a text message from me. Do I have any legal standing to the letters my dying father left me.

    Since he died when I was 6, I only have a handful of memories of him. These letters mean the world to me and might give me a peace with his death.

    submitted by /u/Fancypants711
    [link] [comments]

    My mortgage was sold to another lender. New lender tells me I owe an additional $1,800 for escrow due to their company’s policy.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 06:41 PM PST

    I took out a mortgage ~3 years ago. Maybe 6 months ago I received notification that my loan was sold to a new lender. No problem, I heard it happens all the time, no big deal. Well the other day I get a letter in the mail from the new lender saying they reviewed my escrow balance and I now owe them $1,800 which I can either pay up front or have split between 12 monthly payments which makes my mortgage go up $150/month. I call and turns out the new lender has a policy that the escrow balance can't drop below $900 in any given month, which the previous lender did not. After looking at my "projected" escrow balance from my statement I can see that it drops to -$900 because of when property taxes are taken out, but returns to a positive balance by the end of the year. Do I have any recourse since my loan was bought/sold? It doesn't seem right that I have to pay $1,800 to meet terms I never agreed to.

    Edit: location is Pennsylvania

    submitted by /u/Friendly_Jackal
    [link] [comments]

    Moving out without telling my parents (18yo)

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:00 PM PST

    Edit: forgot to include location, I live in Wisconsin towards the lakeshore area, around Milwaukee.

    I'm moving out in January due to tension between me and my parents that has reached extremes. I'm moving in with my friend and her mom, but I don't plan on actually telling my parents. I'm pulling out all my money and taking my social security and birth certificate.

    Will this make me independent? Do I count as an emancipated minor even though I'm 18? I don't want my parents to be making the decisions if I'm hurt and out of it or anything. Is there any way I can transfer my parents guardianship to my friends mom if I need to?

    I'm also wondering if I should take my insurance card, or if leaving my parents means I need to get my own insurance.

    Is there anything I'm missing in order to insure my parents have no control over me anymore, please let me know. I want to be completely removed from their lives at this point.

    submitted by /u/AbaDaba_Doo
    [link] [comments]

    VA 16 year old inheriting a house

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 03:19 PM PST

    My grandpa is sick and probably won't live much longer. When I was visiting him he told me he's leaving his house to me. I was shocked and a little stressed because I know it's going to cause trouble for me but I didn't ask him any questions because he was tired and in a lot of pain. I live with my dad, so my question is what will happen to the house when my grandpa dies? Will I get it right away? Will it go to my dad and I'll get it later? Could I live in it if I wanted? My dad is going to make this horrible for me, I just know it. I kind of wish I didn't have to deal with this, I don't even really want the house if it's going to make my dad an even bigger jerk than usual. I'm trying to put it out of my mind but it's making me anxious. I feel like if I know what I can expect I might feel more calm about it. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/jojon02
    [link] [comments]

    Can a power of attorney have a check written out in their name for a payment of inheritance? I have power of attorney over my mother and my uncle just passed away, my mother is senile and cannot recall the fact that he passed away..

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 12:57 PM PST

    It's difficult to discuss these things with her, I want to get access to the small amount of money he left for her to repair her home and take care of her personal bills.. my poor mother doesn't remember her brother passed away and every time I've tried to approach her regarding the topic, she goes into full hysterics crying because she can't remember her brother died.. she is always going back and forth in her memory and doesn't have much coherence at times... any advice is very much appreciated

    submitted by /u/Mimimg
    [link] [comments]

    Sister is in abusive marriage, won’t leave without her kids.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:35 PM PST

    My sister (25f) and her husband (28m) live in Wisconsin and have 3 kids. 2 of which are my sisters and the eldest is his from a previous relationship. My sister has been with her husband since before the eldest was born ( her husband and bio mom had a one night stand before he and my sister started dating and the eldest was born a few months after) Bio mom is not in the picture except for maybe once a year on the eldest's birthday (sometimes not even then) Husband is abusive toward mainly my sister and the eldest. My sister has expressed to me she wants out but she will not leave unless she can take the eldest with her. Her husband refuses to let her adopt the eldest or even fight for full custody to keep my sister from leaving him. From what I understand is the bio moms father has custody and my sisters husband has placement. Bio mom refuses to sign off on her rights. Bio grandfather has told my sister she is the only one he trusts to take care of the eldest and is the only reason her husband got placement in the first place.

    What I'm asking: if my sister files for divorce, is she able to fight for legal custody of the eldest child?

    submitted by /u/lemonsendd
    [link] [comments]

    Florida. Apartment was never turned over. It's move in day and they say it's fine. Should be condemned.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 05:18 AM PST

    Pictures were of excellent quality living accommodations. Management sounded and acted competent and engaged. An amicable rate was negotiated. Movers were scheduled. Current living accommodations are expiring.

    24 hrs prior to move we got access to the unit, only to find it's unlivable.

    It was never vacuumed, never moped, BUGS, air filter is probably 2 yrs old, spider webs, small animal feces, wood panels are chewed up (dog I assume), carpets have ground in goo, counter "seals" (marine sealant/5200) are black and discolored, ceiling fan is wilted from the weight of the dust, holes in the walls, electrical sockets are hanging out of the wall, half the lights are out, floorboards are gapped so it's not at all sealed from outside, electrical sockets are broken and a clear Hazzard, water damage in the roof around fixtures, black (possible mold) creeping from under baseboards.

    It's just unsafe to occupy.

    Property management says it's been cleaned, turned over and even that the carpets were deep cleaned, none of which is true.

    They say that it's fine and because WE waited till the "11th hour" they can't do anything. They won't contact the property owner or make any effort to rectify the situation.

    Apartment management has already been paid and demands $350 additional to first/last/security deposit for "cleaning the apartment when you move out". That stung.

    I'm trying to keep a cool head and prevail over this obstacle. I'm hopeful that you lovely people, being smarter than I, can bequeath me some of your knowledge of how to affect the change in management required to have liveable accommodation.

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: The value of having non-liable legal counsel in your back pocket is not lost on me. I know it's not the same as purchased counsel, but the truth is that the education system does not fulfill the requirements of most people to defend themselves against larger or intimidating entities. Simply knowing who to call or how to proceed to produce the best outcome can change lives in a very meaningful way.

    Forever grateful!

    submitted by /u/JohnDoethan
    [link] [comments]

    My phone has been stolen and I believe it has been sold to a pawn shop as I have been tracking the location. I also have selfies that the perpetrator took on my phone through a cloud backup. Am I entitled to get the phone back from the shop? Should I get the police involved?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 06:20 PM PST

    Might as well mention this is in Illinois, but I am currently out of town so I cannot physically track down the phone. I filed a police report at the airport from which I was leaving, yet they marked it as "lost" rather than stolen since I didn't yet have the tracking nor the selfie of the perp. I don't really want to buy a new phone for $1000 and might be willing to buy back my phone for a lower price (it's 2 years old) to keep the passwords, apps, notes, etc. from disappearing.

    submitted by /u/phone_stolen_temp
    [link] [comments]

    My coworker keeps indirectly threatening me with a gun. What can I do?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 06:19 PM PST

    I am located in Atlanta, Georgia.

    For the past few years I've been having tons of trouble with a coworker. She's very aggressive and unprofessional and our managers are aware of her behavior. Long story short, she's really attractive and people are willing to do almost anything for her. She constantly messes up her work and even neglects it. We work at a very large company and I have complained to HR and that didn't work. I took it higher and that also didn't work. Last week, I requested Thanksgiving off (she usually gets it every year) and I was approved. When she found out she said "That's okay. People are always trying to mess with me but my daughter keeps a pistol on her and will come up here anytime." This isn't the first time she's said something close to that. Is there anything that I can do?

    submitted by /u/OopsIForgotLol
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone press charges on me for 'stealing drugs' if I accidentally threw them away?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:08 PM PST

    Seattle, WA

    Bio-mom is threatening to press charges on me for drug theft after I mistookingly threw away a bottle of expired antibiotics that were prescribed to me in 2006 (cleaned out the medicine cabinet). It turns out she was hiding painkillers in the bottle and now is accusing me of stealing them. I have no history of drug use or any criminal record, but am not scared she is going to report me and start a record against me. Can she do that?

    submitted by /u/maxken2000
    [link] [comments]

    Trustee deeded himself a house half owned by the beneficiaries

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 07:50 PM PST

    So I'm one of 4 siblings which were given 50% equity in my great-grandfathers house when he passed away 8 years ago. Unfortunately gramps made my sociopath father the trustee until we each turned 35, and he also owns the other half of the house. He predictably rented the house out and kept 100% of the income for himself, and when I turned 34 he also refused to buy me out of my share of the house for fair market value, or sell the house.

    So when I was 34 I hired an attorney and attempted to force my father to provide an accounting as the pre-cursor to the lawsuit to get my income and equity. He was able to stretch out the accounting for over 2 years as the judge kept giving him more and more time to do it, until he was finally given a deadline to provide the accounting that he couldn't miss. He knew he couldn't release an accounting that showed that he stole me and my siblings half of the income, so he finally made an offer to settle out of court which I took.

    I just recently found out that my father deeded to himself me and my siblings share of the house a month ago, right after we settled our case. I got my equity and income from the lawsuit so I'm fine, but is there any recourse for my siblings? They didn't know or give consent to him deeding himself their shares of the house, he didn't buy them out, and none of them have money for an attorney. I gave each of them the offer to join me in the lawsuit but they were afraid of my father's vindictiveness, which he is notorious for.

    So are there any real consequences for him stealing half of a $720,000 house from his children? Can I tip off the IRS that he gifted himself hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity? Are there criminal consequences to stealing that much money, or is it just a civil matter? I'm afraid my lawsuit against him just emboldened him by showing him that he can steal as much money from the trust as he wants and the worst case scenario is the courts make him pay it back. It's basically a no risk, all reward situation for him.

    submitted by /u/banjonbeer
    [link] [comments]

    Parental Rights of Child in NICU

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 05:40 PM PST

    I live in NC. My infant is in NICU for NAS (Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome) due to my MAT(Medication Assisted Treatment) during pregnancy. I was prescribed Subutex by my doctor. The pediatric doctor at the hospital where I delivered rushed and put my child on morphine. Now my 4 day old infant is so sedated he can barely even feed at feeding times. I don't feel that morphine was the right treatment and wasn't even asked first. I was informed and not given the opportunity to take part in the decision making for my own child. What are my rights as his parent? Do I ask for his medical records and seek a second opinion? Please help me!! I was told that I could not breastfeed my child, but my personal doctor advised me to do so. The NICU told me if I did, then they couldn't treat my child and DSS would then be involved if I didn't let them treat him.

    submitted by /u/JMaynor86
    [link] [comments]

    Employer is forcing all employees to sign up for a payroll card and is claiming that paychecks will no longer be available as a method of getting payed

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 08:09 PM PST

    Throwaway for anonymity

    Location is in the US in Missouri. Today our employer has given us all slips of paper to sign us up for payroll cards as a way of paying us. This has several issues. One, according to her, they will not be paying us in any other way from now on and we must use the payroll card. Now, normally this would not be a problem as this is essentially just direct deposit but with extra steps. But this brings me to another problem, two, after closer inspection of the card's policy's, there are a lot of things that the card can charge us for in terms of fee's, such as transfer fee's. So if I wanted to transfer my money to BOA for an example, I must pay a 1.75$ transfer fee.

    So, is this legal for them to do? I have been told that employers must give a choice to the employees on methods of payment. If this is illegal, how should I go about this?

    submitted by /u/throwaway37237264
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord trying to tear down strip mall my business is in due to violations and won’t communicate!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 07:11 PM PST

    Hi, this is in Illinois. Chicago to be more specific. My family and I have had our business in this strip mall since 1997. Recently the restaurant attached next to us had a fire where the fire department, fire Marshall, and the city inspectors showed up. Nothing structurally was damaged however this lead to an inspection of the entire property where they found faulty wiring, busted roofing, and a whole host of other violations. That business was ordered to redo the roof but their insurance refused since that responsibility should fall on the Landlord.

    The city reached out to the landlord with all the violations and now he is considering tearing down the entire strip mall of 3 long standing businesses.

    The Issue: if they tear down the strip mall, my family won't have any income. While the other businesses still have years left on their lease, our lease will be up in May and we have no idea if they will renew our lease and if we'll have to shut down our business.

    All of this is being caused by shitty wiring that caused a fire in the restaurant attached to my store. What can we do legally to possibly not get screwed out of a lease here or just in general?

    Please help!

    TL:DR - store attached me to me had a fire that resulted in multiple violations. Instead of fixing individually the landlord wants to tear down the strip mall and redo it. My lease is up in May but I don't want to lose my business. what can I do?

    submitted by /u/Demcowboys87
    [link] [comments]

    A girl I dated just stole my identity to scam people

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 08:35 PM PST

    (NORWAY) There's a girl I went on a date with almost 4 years ago that is using my identity to scam people online. (The account is banned now) I would really appreciate some legal advice. I'll call her Karen in this.

    Out of the blue she asked me over text a few days ago if a friend of her could send me some money on vipps(payment-app) and if I could then send it to her. She said that it didn't work when her friend tried to vipps it to her. I thought it was weird and I obviously shouldn't have said yes, but I'm shy of conflict and thought that if I got in trouble I could just show the text of her asking.

    Suddenly people were texting me and even calling me screaming that they were going to or already had pressed charges against me. I then found out that Karen had made several accounts of me and other girls where she sold things for like 600$ each item(clothing) and sent my number+another girls number for them to send the money to. One of the accounts had a picture of me, my full name and my number.

    I found out that Karen has been scamming people for years and that she told people she was going to change her name since she has done this so many times and has gotten a lot of money from it. She even used to steal things like watches, designer clothes and jewelry from people she went to school with.

    I told her I knew it was her and she responded "jeez, it's not me", and then asked if someone had sent me 600$ and if I could just send it to her. I don't even care about her punishment or if I'll get any money, it's just so infuriating that she doesn't seem to care or that her facing any sort of consequences is even an option. She comes from a well-off family and apparently already has her own lawyer. I think that's one of the main reasons she has never faced any consequences. I make minimum wage, so she obviously has the upper hand.

    I wanted to post this here to ask for legal advice or/and f there's something I can write to her that will trick her into giving up more information. She's thick in the head and the last time we spoke was her saying "jeez, it's not me", so I think I'll have a chance of tricking her into thinking that I don't actually believe it to be her.

    English is not my first language and there is so, so much more information, but it's already way to long. I just hope that someone will answer something, whatever it may be.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/funkyscrotum
    [link] [comments]

    Ignoring policeman on side of the road telling you to pull over by pointing.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 05:23 PM PST

    Was just wondering about this as what legally counts as a policeman telling you to pull over. One time a policeman was writing a ticket for another person on the side of the highway. He sees my dad going fast so he looks at him and points to the side of the road a few times. He pulled over, but I was wondering what would happen if he just ignored it and kept driving. Could you argue that it wasn't obvious enough if you got caught later?

    submitted by /u/mbsell
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment