• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 17, 2021

    Legal Advice - Is it legal for an HOA to charge you for years prior to you buying a home?

    Legal Advice - Is it legal for an HOA to charge you for years prior to you buying a home?


    Is it legal for an HOA to charge you for years prior to you buying a home?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:59 AM PST

    My husband and I received an invoice dated back December 13th but didnt recieve it in the mail until January 10th. We have tried to email and call their office to correct or ask for further information to no avail. If it helps, our state is south carolina. I do want to keep some privacy on the location.

    We purchased our home mid 2020 so we've lived in the house for less than a year now. However the charges are for 2018 up to 2021. As well, they listed they'd send our charges to collections in 30 days but they haven't responded to our emails. At this point I'm not sure what I'm able to do. All I've looked up is to file a complaint with the state but is it even legal to charge someone for years that you didn't even live in a house?

    Update: I did reach out to our closing lawyer which thankfully he did respond promptly. I was super nervous about losing our home so close to giving birth but it seems like the costs should've been dealt with prior to us moving in. So we only owe for the time we have lived in our house. Thank you everyone who has shared their advice. I will leave this up in case anyone else may ask this question.

    submitted by /u/ayldien
    [link] [comments]

    [OH] A friend's roommate keeps locking the deadbolt of their shared apartment and ignoring her when she needs to be let into the home. The roommate says it's "not her problem" she can't get into the apartment she pays rent for.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 11:33 AM PST

    This is for a friend; we are trying to gauge the legality here. She's already trying to reach the landlord but no luck thus far. If this is simply a landlord issue, I apologise! I've tried to do my research but to no avail.

    So, situation:

    My friend, Allie, pays rent on an apartment with another girl, Jenna. She's not home all that often, but she still pays her half of the rent faithfully.

    Jenna has decided to lock the deadbolt when she's home, regardless if Allie is there or not. This deadbolt has no outdoor access. It's been several times where Allie has tried to get into her apartment with no success, because she couldn't reach Jenna's phone and, for whatever reason, Jenna didn't hear her at the front door trying to get it, so she was trapped outside.

    Jenna has recognized that this prevents the other paying tenant from having access to her home and it "isn't her problem" if Allie can't get into their shared apartment at will.

    So, essentially, she's locking out the other tenant with no realistic option to get in since she is often unreachable. Since this has become a pattern, is this legal?

    TLDR;

    Roommate locks out other tenant with deadbolt when she's not home and makes herself unreachable when other tenant tries to get in. This has become a repeated offense. Is it legal to keep locking out the other tenant?

    [EDIT: Allie got a hold of the landlord and the landlord will be contacting Jenna that she has to stop locking the bolt or he will remove it. But I still want to keep this post up in the event the landlord doesn't go through with what he says and Jenna continues her behavior.]

    submitted by /u/soybeansprouts
    [link] [comments]

    My house came with a whale rib?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:43 AM PST

    Location is Florida.

    I recently purchased a house built >60 years ago, and the seller left many things behind. One of the things I found in the rafters of the garage is what I am pretty certain is a rib from a large whale. It's definitely bone, 4-5 feet long, not fossilized, etc. If that's true, it's probably illegal to possess under the Endangered Species Act, since I don't have a Letter of Determination or any idea where it originally came from.

    What is the legally correct thing to do? Who would I need to report it to? In my most ideal world, I'd love to be able to keep the rib. It's incredibly beautiful and I think it would be amazing to conserve and display it. I understand that's probably not a likely legal outcome though.

    submitted by /u/kyprianna
    [link] [comments]

    [CALIFORNIA] Step son's mother relapsed on pills, booze, and marijuana, step son has been left with me. Step son has stated he wants to stay with me and not have contact with his mother. Need help understanding what my rights are and how to protect myself and my step son.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 05:39 PM PST

    [Location is California, US]

    Hello,

    I have been a part of my step son's (10 y/o) life for over 9 years now. He is as much my own son as I would consider my own blood. I provide room and board, as well as a functional paternal relationship. I simply refer to him as my son, as I see him as such. I met him when he was in diapers and have done everything to be a part of his life whenever circumstances permitted.

    My ex (my step son's mom) and I have had an on/off relationship during those 9 years. After 8 years of watching her abuse alcohol, pot, and prescription medications (xanax and adderall), she hit a rock bottom in July 2019, losing her jobs and subsequently being evicted from where she lived. At this time, her son began living with me. In August of 2019, I offered to watch her son while she completed 30 days of in-patient rehab and she agreed. A guardianship document was signed, wherein I was his legal guardian while she was in rehab. After successfully completing rehab, she regained custody of her son and he began living with her full-time. I did not see him during this period as I wanted his mother and him to re-establish a functional, sober relationship.

    In September, her mother asked me to give her another chance now that she was sober, and I agreed. Shortly thereafter, I was with her son when he found a case of White Claw in the trunk of her car. Her son was immediately upset by this, and began staying with his grandma. She began to work an AA and in November after working the program for 2 months she regained custody of her son.

    On Christmas Eve, booze and a weed vape were found. She pleaded to give her another chance to work on her sobriety, and her son agreed so she continued to stay with me. Then last week again adderall, weed, and booze were all found, confirming what her erratic behavior had already suggested. I told her she was going to be leaving. Her son was told of what was happened, and he refused to leave with her, demanding that he stay with me. Eventually, she relented and left her son with me, returning to her legal residence.

    He has been with me since Friday and has voiced that he does not want to live with her, leave with her, talk to her, or see her. Moreover, he has voiced to his grandma (Mom's mom) and myself that he does not want to go with his mom because 'she is being unreasonable and erratic, and [he] doesn't feel safe with her. [He] wants to stay here with me because [he] feels safe and is happy here.'

    I don't know what to do or how to proceed, but I'd do anything to protect this kid and save him from having to go through the turmoil that his mother's unbridled drug use creates. Is there any way that I can proceed? What do I do if she wants to see him, but he is refusing to see her? He wants to stay with me, and I have told him that he is welcome to stay with me as long as he wants. I will do anything and everything I can to protect him, the kid means the world to me.

    I have money for a lawyer and will fight this if I have a leg to stand.

    If it matters, she has two domestic assault charges against me, one that resulted in a misdemeanor conviction.

    e: for clarity, his mother and I were never married.

    submitted by /u/catfood_man_333332
    [link] [comments]

    I found a piece of jewelry in my car. It's not mine. What are my options and obligations to return it to the owner?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 05:21 PM PST

    A couple nights ago, I went out to my car, got in, and found a jewelry box on my drivers seat. Inside it was a bracelet. I have no idea where it came from or how it got there. I don't believe that it was meant for me, as it is a woman's bracelet and I am a man.

    My apartment building has an attached garage, and there is someone who lives on my floor who drives a similar car to mine. (In fact, a few times when I wasn't paying attention, I tried to get into their car.) My only guess as to what happened is that someone managed to get into my car and place the box there thinking it was the other car. Maybe I inadvertently left the door unlocked.

    I've left a voicemail with the property management office asking for their help, but I don't know what else to really do to find the owner, short of hanging flyers in the elevators.

    What are my options and obligations here?

    This is in Indianapolis, Indiana.

    submitted by /u/DukeMaximum
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor’s non-running cars taking all of my street parking. Need to remove them.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 02:28 PM PST

    I live in Austin, TX in a neighborhood with mostly street parking. My neighbors have 2 old mini vans that have sat in front of their house for the last 2 years I've lived here. About 6 weeks ago the city was doing some road work and had the vans towed in front of my house so that they could work there. The vans were never towed back. So I now have 2 old non-running vans sitting in front of my house taking my parking. I have asked my neighbors to move the vehicles. They claim they can't afford to have them moved and the vans don't run.

    Can I legally have the vans moved or towed? They take up mine and my roommate's parking and they are nasty ugly in front of my house.

    TLDR; decrepit old vans that don't belong to me need to move.

    submitted by /u/melonmarmalade
    [link] [comments]

    Investigator took my phone and it’s been 2 months since he said they were ready to release it back but still nothing ?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 05:51 AM PST

    Location: California Hi, I was staying at my bfs place for a night when he got arrested. During that time investigator confiscated my phone. He deemed it as "evidence." My boyfriends charges are very serious. Anyway last Nov I received a call from the investigator that they are ready to release my phone back to me and to schedule a time for me to pick it up. Ever since then he was unable to locate the phone. He said it was "accidentally taken as evidence to another unit." He gave me the number to the evidence department and they of course have no idea where it is. Before the holidays the investigator let me know he couldn't get my phone because the evidence unit was in quarantine. At least he finally found where my phone was taken. It's been 3 months now since they've kept my phone for no reason and I've been very patient. I have left calls to the investigator and even called the evidence unit but all they say is "Yes we will email the detective and get back to you." I'm not even sure they know where it is if it's so hard to give back. Very worrying.

    Is this typical? Never ran into the law and never thought I'd get my phone confiscated for a matter I have no relevance on. What can I do ? I'd like my property back since I'm still paying it.

    submitted by /u/Morning-Jazzlike
    [link] [comments]

    Woman spread false accusations of me in the workplace; it ruined my reputation, cost me a job and now no one will give me a reference, despite my excellent work

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 05:37 PM PST

    TLDR: Coworker twice my age spread false accusations that I followed her to her hotel room. No one told me for months. It ruined my reputation at the employer, cost me a job, and years later is leaving me without professional references willing to even talk to me. I suspect that she has done this to others. Do I have any legal recourse?

    Story: Around 2013, I was working as an independent contractor at a large medical center in Illinois. I brought my work home with me often, and would sometimes have dinner at the nearest restaurant to finish my day's work, which happened to be part of a hotel.

    On days when there was an audit, I would spend much of the day with contractors from various biotechnology & drug companies, addressing their requirements and concerns. I was in my mid-20's and eager to make business connections, so I tried to keep friendly conversations going. I asked colleagues what it was like in their field, general questions about their employers, etc.

    I suppose that is where I made the mistake of asking a traveling contractor I was working with which hotel she was staying in, thinking I could suggest a nice place to visit in the city. I forgot the name of the hotel by the end of the conversation, and couldn't even place it in the city at the time. Never at any point were my intentions anything except professional advancement.

    A few weeks later, I went to my usual spot at the hotel restaurant/bar (the only sit-down restaurant within walking distance of the hospital), only to be hailed from someone sitting at the bar as I walked past it. The woman (in her mid-40's) I had always gotten along with was there, and asked me to sit by her at the bar, so I did. We both had work due, but I shortly realized I couldn't finish my work there, so I excused myself and went home. There were many witnesses there that saw what happened - I didn't know any of them, however, and some of the male hotel patrons (likely in the same profession as her) gave me a, "Should I tell him what he just did?" kind of look as I passed.

    Months pass, and my contract comes up for renewal. I ask my boss nicely, and he explains that his one reservation is that, despite my excellent performance, someone I worked with said I had, "followed her to her hotel room." This explained why this woman I had previously been friendly with had suddenly become cold and aloof during our recent meetings, requesting to work alone.

    I immediately called HR at the institution, who explained that an official complaint against me was not filed at the institution, and that even if it was, they couldn't help me since I was an independent contractor. It was my first independent contractor job.

    Since then, no one, not even people I knew at the institution who I had worked with in other institutions, seems to want to give me a reference, or even the time of day. Since the incident, I went to professional school, graduating last year; so until 2020, I was not seeking employment, and this issue didn't come up much in a professional sense.

    Now, however, I feel like my prospects in the field are substantially hindered. It seems everyone at this very large institution knows about it. I am an alumnus of the institution and even my previous professors have brushed me off, despite a record of excellence, volunteer work, and service in the student government.

    Do I have any legal recourse here?

    submitted by /u/Flooble_Crank
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor threw a rock at my car

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 05:33 PM PST

    Good evening, a neighbor (let's call her B) threw a rock at my car (my car was parked on my driveway). Long story short, I have neighbors on both sides my house. Neighbor A rang on my door, I asked him what's going on, and turns out neighbor B (who is actually mentally unstable) was accusing them of stealing her tools. So, neighbor A and myself tried to calm neighbor B down. Next thing, she starts throwing expletives at us, and grabbed a rock and threw it at my car, which caused a few very deep scratches. I have called the police to notify them, they asked me if I wanted to press charges, I said no, but I would like the police to talk to her. After she left, neighbor A told me that she was throwing rocks at them too. After the incident, she went on to another neighbors house and started accusing them of stealing tools. What would be the best course of action here? Should I change to press charges?

    Edit: Location: California

    submitted by /u/MotorFortune
    [link] [comments]

    Female demoted from what they said was downsizing and immediately a male coworker got promoted to the same position

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 08:41 PM PST

    Basically what the title says, my female coworker was demoted and our employer cited that we were downsizing was the reason she was demoted. She was irritated but ok with the decision. Then exactly one week later a male coworker got promoted to her previous position. The news of the promotion got her so stressed she quit. With her gone their isn't any females in a lead position. Is there a case she can build with this? We're located in the Bay Area California.

    submitted by /u/ughglee
    [link] [comments]

    I have lived in multiple US states this year, and had a number of temporary jobs, where do I even begin to see if I can receive unemployment benefits?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:39 PM PST

    I'm looking for some advice on how to navigate applying for unemployment since I've had a weird messy year of jobs.

    I started 2020 with a job in New Hampshire which ended on 1/31/20 through no fault of my own. I had been in this job since 5/1/19. Then I went to New York where I worked from 3/1/20 - 7/15/20 and left that job by my own choice. I then went to Oregon, and worked from 9/15/20 - 12/31/20 (and will receive a final paycheck in the coming days, not sure if that matters). This job ended through no fault of my own. I have since moved to Washington, DC for personal reasons (family, job opportunities, a number of reasons - all the other states were temporary moves). I intend to stay here for years now once I'm employed, but I have not worked in DC since 2017.

    I am in a weird mess of eligibility requirements, and have no idea where to start with exploring my options to see if I could possibly apply for unemployment benefits. I recognize that I may not qualify, but I would like to explore my options. Do I apply in OR, since I was there most recently? Do I go through DC because I live here now?

    I am not necessarily looking for anyone on reddit to be able to tell me IF I'll qualify, since it's obviously a bit complicated, but I am hoping someone could let me know where I need to go for resources and to try to sort through my options for applying.

    Thank you!

    Edit: One more factor, if it matters: my previous permanent residency was New York. My drivers license, voter reg, etc are all there, although I plan to change that all to DC now that I'm here.

    submitted by /u/PlattsVegas
    [link] [comments]

    I sued my former landlord to get my deposit back and they overnighted me a check. Should I cash it?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:29 PM PST

    I already filed against them and let them know in an email that I would be doing so. In the meantime they overnighted me the check but it's too late. In my state (ohio), if a landlord doesn't return a deposit within 30 days then I'm entitled to up to 3x the amount. It had been 90+ days by the time I received the check. I'm not hurting for the funds, but I feel like the judge might say "well you didn't cash the check so you clearly didn't need it that bad" and shoot down my 3x claim

    My gut is telling me not to cash it because that is an admission of payment

    submitted by /u/catbert107
    [link] [comments]

    [ARIZONA] I sent my wife divorce papers through USPS, she has acknowledged she got them but says she "Doesn't know what to do" and hasn't sent them back or done anything since.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:48 PM PST

    Please help. I'm only 21 (yes, a ridiculously young age to be married) and I don't know what to do. As per the title, I sent my wife clerk-notarized divorce papers through the mail. First off, was that even a smart/the right decision? I feel like it wasn't. Anyway, she confirmed through text that she received the papers, but doesn't know what to do with them, so she simply has done anything. We're both young and it's our first marriage (was supposed to be only but 🙄) so we really have no idea how to proceed.

    What do I do? She has the papers, but hasn't done anything with them and clearly has no plans to. And yes, I do believe she would do this just to make things harder for me. Is there any legal recourse I can take to force this divorce?

    Thank you for any advice.

    submitted by /u/wadewaters2020
    [link] [comments]

    (VT/PA) Sister Moved Out and Left A Bunch of Her Stuff Behind

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 03:15 PM PST

    Apologies for the title being kind of vague, but it gets the general gist of things. For extra info, this account is a throwaway. I listed two states because I live in VT (Vermont) and the sister who moved now resides in PA (Pennsylvania) and I wasn't sure it was relevant. All involved are adults.

    I'll do my best to summarize the situation. After living in a two bedroom apartment with my dad and I for 2+ years, my sister suddenly decided to move out (as in, 2 day notice). An online friend from PA came (this was around Oct-Nov of 2020) and picked her up. She left her room in a mess, on top of leaving a whole bunch of stuff behind. This stuff includes larger items (dresser, queen sized bed, couch, coffee table, tv stand, and others) along with a lot of smaller stuff (books, clothes, dvd cases).

    Due to us being on Section 8 along with the pandemic, we've had difficulty getting her name off the lease, but it should be happening later this month. I've asked my dad, who is the main person on the lease, to inform me of when exactly it happens.

    The problem lies with all the stuff she left. It takes up too much space and I'd like to get rid of it as soon as possible. To explain in case this ends up being a question, my sister gaslit me the entire time she lived here, so I really have no desire to be anything more than civil on top of wanting as little communication as possible. I'm also willing to hold onto some boxes/bags of the smaller items for an extended period of time.

    So here's my main questions: - How long once she's been informed she's properly off the lease does she have before her belongings are forfeit? - Does she need to be informed that we're giving her "x" time to collect the items before we sell/remove them? - Some of the items (a large cabinet, tv stand, dresser) actually belong to family. Am I allowed to return those without notifying her as those items technically aren't her belongings? - An I allowed to keep certain items once the time has passed (for reference, I'm sleeping on the floor and would love to have the bed if she decides she doesn't want it or can't get it)?

    I think that's all the questions I have right now! Thank you for your time :)

    submitted by /u/LASistersgarbage
    [link] [comments]

    Scam roofer took $11k from mother-in-law

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 01:17 PM PST

    This took place in Illinois, USA. My mother-in-law hired some guy to replace her roof in August 2018. He took $11k from her for supplies and disappeared. (I don't know why she did this). Apparently he bought a truck and went on a bender. His dad tried to smooth things over but obviously couldn't fix the problem.

    There's been no movement for months. There was soMe talk about not being able to locate him but a search in the local courts shows plenty of violations have occurred since then. He's gotten a few tickets from driving and at least one arrest so he's not hiding or anything

    What should she be doing to try to move this along. I don't even know if she's filed anything formal.

    submitted by /u/uncleskeleton
    [link] [comments]

    Need help decoding this Agreement (ancestry.com) regarding ownership of DNA.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 09:33 PM PST

    Was looking at both agreement documents and it seems to have contradicting information (one saying we own DNA and the other the opposite)? Understand this is probably not the case and would greatly appreciate the much-needed insight from an expert. Thank you so much!

    From https://www.ancestry.com/cs/legal/termsandconditions#ownership-of-content :

    Ownership of Your Content: You own your Personal Information and User Provided Content. You can delete your Personal Information from Ancestry by logging into your Account Settings (for additional information, see the Privacy Statement). So long as your content remains on our system, we need certain rights from you for your and others' use of the Services. By using the Services, you grant us the right to collect, host, transfer, process, analyze, communicate and store your Personal Information (including your Genetic Information, defined in these Terms and in the Privacy Statement in order to (a) provide the Services to you and other Users, (b) for the purposes described in these Terms and our Privacy Statement, (c) to help our Users discover more about their families and family histories and build their family trees, and (d) for any other purpose to which you expressly agree, such as sharing with others.

    Also, by submitting User Provided Content through any of the Services, you grant Ancestry a sublicensable, worldwide, royalty-free license to host, store, copy, publish, distribute, provide access to, create derivative works of, and otherwise use such User Provided Content to the extent and in the form or context we deem appropriate on or through any media or medium and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed or discovered. This includes the right for Ancestry to copy, display, and index your User Provided Content. Ancestry will own the indexes it creates. We will also have the right to continue to use your User Provided Content, even if you stop using the Services, but only as necessary for us to provide and improve the Services.

    2.3 Copyright and Trademark: Each of the Services is protected by copyright as a collective work or compilation, pursuant to U.S. copyright laws, international conventions, and other copyright laws. The trademarks, service marks, and logos contained in the Services are owned by or licensed to us. We and our licensors retain title, ownership, and all other rights and interests in and to all Ancestry Content in the Services.

    If you have concerns that User Provided Content posted by other Users may infringe your rights, contain illegal material, or violate these Terms, please contact us. We are also sensitive to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of others. For complaints regarding copyright infringement or illegal content, including any Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown requests, click here.

    From https://www.ancestry.com.au/cs/legal/privacystatement#personal-info-collect

    Other Important Things for You To Understand When You Use Our Services

    You always maintain ownership of your DNA and DNA Data (defined below)—you can manage and delete it as described in this Privacy Statement.

    submitted by /u/Persons1001
    [link] [comments]

    NC dads 401k not released, it’s been five years in April since he passed, is there an expiration date or something to deal with this?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 03:31 PM PST

    Idk if there's even any money in it because he was poor, I was going to pay for a lawyer anyways. Since covid cases have risen, the court house is closed, and my mom got covid so I can't go in the house to get the documents anyways to give to a lawyer or go through them myself. It's not the company he worked for that is the issue, it's the bank, they say a beneficiary wasn't listed (I feel like that's BS, he would have either listed me or my nana). Is there a time limit that we have to have this dealt with/will it be considered forfeited or something? I heard there's a five year time limit on money related matters?

    Thanks in advance for any advice, I wanted to deal with this this month but Covid strikes again.

    submitted by /u/WasabiGGinger
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get rid of an unofficial roommate?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:09 AM PST

    My buddy and I got an apartment back in June of last year. He had to leave for a few months, and we knew a guy who was looking for a place to go.

    Problems began almost immediately. First, he refused to put himself on the lease. I was between a rock and a hard place, I needed someone to pay rent because I couldn't cover the whole thing by myself purely on unemployment. He moved in, with myself and my initial roommate still being on the lease.

    He also breaks multiple rules on the lease. Our apartment complex does not allow dogs unless you pay an initial fee and a monthly fee alongside that. He has a husky. Our lease says to keep the place reasonably sanitary, he doesn't walk his dog, and instead lets the dog walk into the deck behind our apartment and urinate/defecate there. Smoking is not allowed on the premises. He smokes weed in his room, and occasionally downstairs. My roommate was letting him borrow his car while he was gone, his car reeks of weed and cigarettes, I let him borrow my car for literally two days because his was broken, my car now smells the same. He hasn't ever paid me for utilities.

    Things are breaking around here but we can't call maintenance because the terms of our lease are being broken and it's possible we'd be evicted once maintenance saw/smelled the place.

    My initial roommate is back, and we want him gone, but we're not sure what legal processes are, how we'd go about removing him, or how expensive it would be.

    He said the other day that he could leave in 6 weeks, but every day he's here is another day we could get evicted for his laundry list of violations.

    The state is Michigan. He's only on record as having paid 500$ of the 1600+ dollar rent last month, though in a prior month he paid about the same amount in cash.

    Please help

    Edit: thanks for your responses. The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around has been the fact that the roommate has, legally speaking, all the benefits of being a tenant on a lease with none of the downsides. As it is I guess We'll serve him notices for eviction at the end of this month and then after 30 days we'll see if he's gone or not.

    submitted by /u/Due_Goose2132
    [link] [comments]

    What actions can I take to report a medical doctor who flouted local mask regulations and spouted misinformation about masks and COVID?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 09:01 AM PST

    This is in the US, specifically Missouri in a county with a mask mandate.

    I sprained my ankle and went to an urgent care center. The first thing the doctor did when he entered the room is lower his mask, claim masks don't work on viruses, and tell me he would wear his mask if I really wanted him to but they don't work and he'd be able to breathe if he didn't have to wear it. I was regrettably reluctant to challenge him, afraid to get into a debate and allowed him to keep his mask off for my visit.

    Later in the visit he continued to list off how masks don't work on viruses and are just going to cause people to get bacterial pneumonia from wearing them and how he thinks they're just making everyone wear masks to make people feel better (because that's really the effect they're having on the majority of America...).

    He also mentioned that he works in a senior care facility, the real kicker for me. And 20 of the patients (either his or in the facility in general, I don't remember) have died of COVID.

    I of course did some research on his claims and they're myths that have been debunked by experts, as I expected.

    I didn't bring this subject up in any way, except I guess by wearing a mask as is required by the local county and is even marked on the urgent care center's door. I can assume he's giving this speech to every patient he sees and I can only imagine how many will blindly trust what he tells them because he's a doctor and talks like he knows more than anyone else on the matter just by having a medical degree.

    I keep thinking about how much danger he's putting the patients at the senior care facility in by his behavior outside of it. Even if he's adhering to wearing his mask when he's there, he's still increasing their risk.

    I've already decided to at least complain to the facility and report him to the health department. I would like to know if it's practical to report him to the medical board and if they're likely to take a complaint like this seriously, especially in a state like mine (MO).

    Update:

    Thanks for all the comments. I plan to report him everywhere I can. I can't find much info on what geriatric facility he works at but I'm going to start with the urgent care center and local health departments followed by the medical board.

    I also realized the location of the urgent care facility puts it under two separate city and county mandates and you bet your ass I'm reporting him to both as well as the state.

    submitted by /u/lovelights09
    [link] [comments]

    Damage to my parked car in NYC

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:26 PM PST

    So my car was parked legally on a street in Queens, NYC. I happened to be parked next to a business that has a dumpster on the sidewalk next to their property. I'd parked 9 feet in front of the dumpster the night before. I come back to my car and the dumpster had been moved past their property and was just in front of my car. I inspect my car and the dumpster is inches away from it, with extensive damage on two panels that match scratches visible on the dumpster. Any advice on legal action or next steps? The business I parked next to doesn't have a legible sign and is simply a garage where food trucks go to refill their propane tanks. I have an approximate address, but I'm not sure on how to proceed properly. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/SlimeySuspect
    [link] [comments]

    In the state of Alabama, is it possible to take possession of a property by paying the property tax?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:27 AM PST

    I will try to be relatively brief - my great grandfather owned a 110 acre plot of land in Alabama but the deed to the property is still in our family. Out of curiosity, I did some research on the county website and I discovered today that someone outside of our family (a friend of my cousin) has been paying the property taxes on it for the past 5 years.

    From what I understand, but please correct me if I am wrong - in most Alabama counties the tax certificate provides a legal right to demand possession of the property, so the certificate/deed is essentially a tax lien, with the right to possession.

    It seems a bit odd to me that someone outside of our family would be paying the property taxes for 5 years on this land out of the goodness of their heart. Is it possible that this person could take possession of this land? If anyone could please give me an idea of where to start with this I would greatly appreciate it, I would hate to see my family lose this land. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/lester_kanopf
    [link] [comments]

    Would-be landlord cancelled lease a day before move-in, hasn't returned deposit

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 06:52 PM PST

    In December of last year, I signed a lease agreement to rent a privately-owned condo in California from 01/01/21 to 01/01/22. As part of that, I sent my would-be landlord a ~$1K security deposit.

    On December 31st, the night before I was supposed to move-in, my landlord messaged me saying that she would have to cancel the lease due to an unexpected family emergency. She also stated that she would return my deposit via a check in the mail.

    Since then, I have yet to receive my check or any communication at all from my would-be landlord. She hasn't responded to a single email, text, or phone call.

    What is my best path forward? Should I take this to small claims court? Should I hire an attorney?

    I don't know her address, and I don't know if that complicates things. I do have her name, her phone number, and the signed lease agreement (featuring both of our signatures).

    Thank you for reading.

    submitted by /u/want_deposit_back
    [link] [comments]

    Sister in law is being abused by husband cop, how can I help her? (NC)

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 10:40 AM PST

    Title pretty much says it all. My sister in law is being abused by her husband that is a cop. They have a young child together. She is afraid to leave because he is in the force and she fears he has connections that would prevent him from going to jail. How can I legally help her and her child?

    submitted by /u/DragonsOverNYC
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment