• Breaking News

    Friday, November 6, 2020

    Legal Advice - Is there a way for me to get custody of my little brother? I'm 19, he's 12. I don't know what to do.

    Legal Advice - Is there a way for me to get custody of my little brother? I'm 19, he's 12. I don't know what to do.


    Is there a way for me to get custody of my little brother? I'm 19, he's 12. I don't know what to do.

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:08 PM PST

    I've never posted to reddit before but I've seen some screenshots on twitter of people getting advice here and I figured I could make an account and try cause I don't really have anywhere else to look for guidance. I want to know if it's possible for me to get custody of my younger brother or to be otherwise legally seen as his sole guardian?
    Information that could be helpful maybe? We live in Kansas. Our parents divorced while my older brother was dying (in 2012) and we used to stay with deadbeat dad every other week then only on weekends, then gradually he stopped being in our lives at all. I haven't spoken to him or seen him since I was 17, he's on drugs and wouldn't hold a job and stopped being a father to me and my little brother. Within the last year, I don't know if my mom is on drugs now as well or dating someone else, but she just has never been around. She lost interest in being a mother since my older brother died, both my parents were never the same after that but it's messed up to what extent they neglect my little brother. We've been staying with my best friend, his mom, and grandfather since March. We went "home" to my mom's house the 1st of November (5 days ago) and she hasn't been in the house in a long time. Months went by this year where I did not hear from her at all. She never checked in to see if he was okay.

    It's always been me taking care of my little brother, even before this year, she was always more interested in church than us. I made meals, took care of the house, make sure he was safe, take him to school and everything a "parent" should do and I would NEVER leave him alone. I bring him everywhere with me. When he has homework, sports teams, school plays etc I'm the one who helps, goes, makes the costume, whatever. Basically, I'm worried if something happens to him like god forbid he gets sick or injured, that someone will tell me I am not his legal guardian and say he has to stay with our mother who wants nothing to do with us. Is there a way I could get legal custody of him? He likes living with me and we are looking for our own apartment. My best friend and I both work and have both graduated. My brother is still in elementary school. I don't have any other family. Would my mom have to sign something to give up her rights? Do I go to family court? Basically I'm desperate for him to not be neglected and I want him to be with us cause we actually love and take care of him. Any advice would help. I don't know where to turn.

    submitted by /u/courtneydespise
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Came home from work to find my fiancè of 6 years left me.

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:11 AM PST

    So I got home yesterday from work to find a note on the TV saying I have 60 days to vacate the property. We bought the house in 2011 but it's under her name. The thing that hurts the most is that she stole most of my 25 year record collection. I know I'll have to get over the relationship but how do I go about getting the things she stole from me? I've bern paying half the mortgage for 11 years. Please help

    submitted by /u/ghostparasites
    [link] [comments]

    I got rear ended in October, the driver fled the scene. I got a police report and 911 call, and their insurance denied my claim because the driver was "not being co-operative". What can i do about it?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 08:29 AM PST

    So i got rear ended at a red light by a driver. He hit me and then drove away. I followed and called 911 after making the report and getting the car info. While i was still on the phone, driver of the car pulled into a shady neighborhood so i asked the dispatcher what to do, and she told me that i didn't have to follow the car anymore, to just to go my nearest police station to file the report. So i went straight there.

    Fast Forward to yesterday, i get a call from the insurance saying my claim was denied because the other driver said he was not involved in a crash. I got upset and asked if they asked their client for pictures of the car, because it should have been damaged. She put me on hold to speak to management, then said they would call me back later.

    i got a voicemail later on in the day from her, saying my claim was denied because their client was not co-operating with them and my police report didn't identify the driver by name. I haven't called back, but i wanted to see what do i do now? I wanted to call them back and dispute that, i feel like if the client is not cooperating, then that isn't my problem. I provided police report, pictures of my truck, estimate, and screenshots of my 911 call.

    I am willing to take legal action if necessary. My truck is worth about 5-6k, the damage was about 3.2k. Also, i live in Texas, incase that matters. Thanks

    submitted by /u/iron_mike_tyson
    [link] [comments]

    Texas - Am I able to hug my husband in a courtroom?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 11:44 AM PST

    Crossposted from no stupid questions

    I'm being forced to testify in my husband's jury trial for a hefty sentence for a nonviolent crime. (By forced I mean that I'm being told I will be summoned for the jury trial, I do not have any lawyer or ability to obtain one to observe my right in this as I would much rather NOT be called). I haven't seen my husband in nearly a year except over video calls. I know for sure he will be ruled guilty as it's undeniable. However, I really just want to hug my husband before he is sent to prison.

    Do you think there would be any opportunity do to this?

    submitted by /u/throwawayahhhhaaa
    [link] [comments]

    My Alcoholic Brother is Trying to Use MY SON’S Name on an Official Plea Bargain in Order to Be Able to Pick Him Up From School. HELP!

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 09:46 AM PST

    On mobile *

    State: Indiana

    OK, so here is the situation. I have a younger brother who is a hard-core alcoholic. He got his fourth or fifth DUI right before coronavirus and he refused a breathalyzer.

    I have a seven year old son.

    My brother is working with his lawyer on a plea agreement. His license will be suspended for one year, but there are provisions in the agreement that state he can drive around for special occasions which include medical appointments, AA meetings, etc.

    Here's where it gets hairy. I was reading through the document, (He drunkenly sent it to me with this part highlighted in red) and I saw that one of the special circumstances is that he was granted permission to pick to his son up once a week.

    THIS IS A CHILDCARE CLAUSE! He does not have a child. Hell, he doesn't even have a car seat! Under no circumstances would he ever be able to pick up my son from school as he's not on the list. Clear as day I see my son's first and last name along with the address of the school. I do not want my boy's name on any legal document, especially since it's untrue.

    CHILD CARE:

    "Petitioner has been granted the special privilege of operating a vehicle for limited purpose of picking up and dropping off his children from the schools they are enrolled in, listed below."

    I am livid. I called him up right on the spot and expressed my concerns. I understand that he wants more freedom to drive around legally, whether it be to run to the grocery or go get fucked up at a bar. Either way, not relevant. What I'm not OK with is the above information coupled with the fact that if this brother of mine gets pulled over and has been drinking, which is pretty much a guarantee, he will show them this document and the next thing you know DCS comes knocking on my door trying to figure out what's going on. Furthermore, if he were to say hey I'm just picking up my nephew, the document would say children, and he would go to jail anyway. I don't understand the logic.

    My brother apologized in person and I just received the forwarded document revision from him, via e-mail, from his lawyers.

    I understand attorney-client privilege, but is there a way for me to obtain proof that this revision is what will be submitted to the courts? For all I know, he could write another email and say, "You know what, never mind. Keep that revision in after all."

    I am a very concerned parent at this point. I have his lawyers name/place of work/office hours just as an FYI.

    Do I have any options to obtain certain proof that this change will take affect?

    Thanks all!

    Edit: He sent me more revisions and screenshots of the lawyers replies and such for further proof...I called his wife as well and she told me she was right there with him while all this was happening originally in the lawyers office and it wasn't anything malicious. I'm told the lawyer/paralegal were stressing the fact that anything that can be added, should be added. He mentioned he picked up my son on occasion (Which isn't true, but I understand he wants more freedom) and the lawyer or paralegal was saying go ahead and add it.

    He sent me more screenshots to emails from his lawyer and he most certainly did ask for the removal since the clause makes it seem like he is my son's father. Direct quote. I saw the message to her lawyer. I feel better, but still angry at how much of an oversight this was!

    submitted by /u/Indistinct__Chatter
    [link] [comments]

    Someone falsely claimed my vehicle was stolen from them. Police impounded, how do I get it back? [USA] [NC]

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 11:10 AM PST

    Some person claimed I sold them my vehicle and police impounded my car, because they said they don't feel comfortable releasing it's "stolen" status. How long can they hold it? How do I get it back?

    Vehicle has no liens, fully insured and registered. They have zero evidence of any transaction, but they have my missing title and keys (found out it was "stolen" at DMV when filing for lost title).

    UPDATE: Just called the PD and was told my car was towed, called the tow company, and was told my car was released to the alleger with a notarized title.

    When we (alleger and officer) were at the DMV the officer showed me the title. A notary stamp was not on the title.

    Is it possible that the police forced a notary stamp on my behalf without my consent?

    submitted by /u/TradeU4Whopper
    [link] [comments]

    A group of students were awarded a scholarship, but the school "lost" the money.

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:41 AM PST

    I am in Florida. At my university, a group of 15-20 students were awarded a scholarship for attending a networking event with large companies. The companies themselves paid money out of their own pockets to give each student a $1,025 scholarship. Each student had to write a thank-you letter to the company for the scholarship. We were supposed to receive the funds on October 8th, 2020.

    Students in other groups received the scholarship. However, the group of 15-20 students did not, and the financial aid and tuition and billing departments reported that they have no record of any funds ever being sent to these students accounts.

    I am one of the students, and I have been contacting literally everyone (including the Dean) through e-mail and have not had this resolved yet. I can't find any resources on Google about this situation, so does anyone have advice? Should we just give up on the scholarship?

    submitted by /u/Dance-Status
    [link] [comments]

    Wife fired while being 9 month’s pregnant.

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 06:46 PM PST

    Tonight my wife was let go from her job, and we believe it is because she was about to take maternity leave. They obviously didn't come out and say that was the reason but it seems pretty obvious as her company bills insurance companies for the hours she works, and that's how they make money off of her. So she wasn't going to be getting paid her hourly ($50/hr) just receive her profit share but the rest of the company as that is how her contract is structured. Granted they wouldn't have to pay her but they also wouldn't be making money offer her for a few months. She doesn't want to take legal action, I think because of the stress it's putting on her (she's a high risk pregnancy) but I feel like what they did was wrong and we deserve compensation. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/timsusername33
    [link] [comments]

    My Step Dad Beats me up. Is it my fault?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 08:07 AM PST

    My stepdad (not even my legal stepdad yet still my mom's boyfriend) beats me every time I do something bad/be disrespectful. This has happened about 3 times now. And when I say beat me, I don't mean the usual belt whooping/spanking.

    He says this "you wanna act like a grown man you gon get treated like a grown man" And then proceeds to beat me up like we were in a street fight. (I'm 13 btw) Punching, Kneeing, Kicking, Elbowing, Biting, and using vital points to his advantage is what he usually does. And he doesn't hold back on the amount of force he uses on every attack. He tries his hardest to strike me as hard as he can. Beatings usually last around 25 - 45 seconds.

    Last night towards the end of the beats he put his fingers in my nose and pulled towards my forehead. Pleading to stop or asking for mercy just grants you a bigger beating. He hasn't punched me in the face or anything yet but that's just due to me protecting my face for dear life. In all of the beatings midway he'll try to peel my hands away from my face, and say"why you protecting your face" or "lemme see that face" or something along those lines.

    The worst part about this whole ordeal is that my mom watches it happen and at the end says "you just brought this upon yourself" one time after a beating we were all talking (about my behavior) and my mom says that she's not whooping me because she's tried it in the past and I've just laughed it off. That's not true. I just wasn't pleading for her to stop because she was using a cloth belt and It hurt very little. But I still stood there and took the belt whooping. I would rather get a whooping from my mom than from him. (I've known him for about 4 years)

    I don't know if I can take this to CPS because none of the beatings have left me with any bruises, but my ribs still hurt like hell. At one point he was elbowing them So hard it felt like they were about to break or something. He has also threatened to curb stomp me and put me in a hospital. At this point I'm believing that he would do that to me. Does anybody know what I should do? Sorry for the long rant.

    submitted by /u/d1kappa
    [link] [comments]

    Work Wants Me To Come Back While Under Quarantine Orders and Experiencing Symptoms

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 04:21 PM PST

    Hello all! This one is a bit of a long story, but I really need the help if you can!

    So I was put under mandatory quarantine until 11/14 by NYS because two of my coworkers received a positive covid diagnosis and one showed up to work with symptoms. Last date of contact was 10/31.

    I tested negative on 11/4, but started getting covid symptoms (nausea, vomiting, headaches, cough) later that night and have had them ever since.

    I've told my work about the mandatory quarantine and the symptoms, but they said I am an "essential employee" and that since I tested negative I am eligible to go back to work and not eligible for any sick leave.

    For clarification, I am a food server at a Country Club. It's a private club so only club members can come in and we don't have takeout/delivery. I'm in no way essential to the function of this place, and we have more than enough staff to cover my quarantine.

    So am I really considered an "essential worker"? Can you test out of a mandatory quarantine if you are symptomatic?

    Most of our club members are very elderly and I don't want to expose them just because I have bills to pay, but I am not financially able to take this week off from work if I don't get sick pay.

    Please if you have any advice at all, I would be extremely grateful!

    submitted by /u/missame33
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor Hit My Car

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 08:41 AM PST

    Hey everyone. I could really use some help. I'm on Richmond, VA.

    3am the morning after halloween my boyfriend and I get woken up by the door bell. We go downstairs and find my neighbor telling us he hit my car and begging us not to go to the police or insurance and that he will pay for everything. He relies on a CDL for work so we agreed.

    Neighbor drops off a 2k deposit to the shop and everything seems fine. Next we get a whopping 12.5k estimate and neighbor is mad and calls the shop. I ask for the money up front or tell neighbor I'm going to go through insurance. Neighbor agrees and says he can get me 5k this week and the rest next week.

    Yesterday neighbor shows up with 4k and a letter saying I've agreed to financial compensation in the form of 2k deposit, 4 k now and the rest next Friday. I look over it and sign. This morning I get an email from the shop saying he's asked for his deposit back and they are no longer comfortable servicing my vehicle.

    I told neighbor I am returning his money and going through insurance since he broke the contract. He replied to keep the money he'll see me in court. I have no idea what to do now. Please help

    UPDATE: I've spoken to one lawyer and intend to speak to another tonight. The first lawyer basically said, make sure he gets the deposit back from the garage. Then I should be in the clear to go through insurance. I'll let you guys know if anything more exciting happens.

    submitted by /u/Levinemr2
    [link] [comments]

    Coworker just stated his intent to go and shoot up people in Michigan

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:50 AM PST

    So this morning, I overheard a coworker talking with our branch manager this morning. Branch manager was trying to convince him to follow company policy and wear a mask and the coworker said it wouldn't be necessary since he would be taking "military leave" to travel to Michigan and shoot liberals.

    Now, the guy is an old, surly hardcore Trumper. I've never seen him directly engage in violent behavior, but he has a history of being intoxicated at work and is pretty low key racist, so I wouldn't put violence outside the realm of possibility.

    I am concerned of the consequences of going to HR, as he is related to several mid to high level managers, and despite the protections the law ostensibly grants whistleblowers, I'm not willing to put my career prospects in the hands of the law.

    I've decided to report his actions to law enforcement. The question I have is who do I report to and is there a way to leave tips anonymously? Since this is a case of a citizen of one state threatening violence against citizens of another state, would this fall under the jurisdiction of the FBI or would our local police handle this?

    submitted by /u/kracko64
    [link] [comments]

    Teenager here, accused of forging canvassing results that I did not forge [NY State]

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:36 PM PST

    Earlier this week, I received a message from a friend from school offering a job knocking on doors to campaign for a local political candidate. It payed 20$/hr, which was an appealing rate, especially for a 15 year old.

    I responded yes and got set up with the manager at the company, which is a local political strategy company I won't name. For two afternoons, I worked five hours, going door-to-door asking people about who they planned to vote for, and afterwards trying to convince them to vote for the candidate we were campaigning for.

    It went well, over the ten hours I worked, I made contact with about 30 people, most of whom said they already voted. A good portion of those did not speak perfect English, but told me they had already voted. We were warned that our results would be quality controlled and that people we canvassed would be followed up with.

    Now they are following up with the people, and I've been told 5 out of the 30 people I made contact with are denying that they were ever visited, (which would be dumb thing to lie about, our rates were not being watched, I would much prefer to just report a slightly worse rate then I actually got). Now the campaign company just called and said they are further investigating, but may withhold pay. I can't prove that I did talk to those five people. How do I proceed?

    Edit: it's definitely not worth going to an employment lawyer over my ~300 dollars, idk if people were gonna suggest that

    submitted by /u/NicoButBetter
    [link] [comments]

    Am I at fault for inevitable damages to apt?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 04:39 PM PST

    I just moved into an apartment on the first, it is currently the 5th and I received this message from my downstairs neighbor/manager of the building, "Hi there, I'm texting you because the roof of my bathroom has been getting wet and the ceiling becomes weaker and weaker and can brake, it has happened once already and I want to tell if you can avoid when your showering to avoid spilling any water on the floor right next to the toilet. If you have any questions let me know, thank you very much, sorry for the inconvenience , have a good afternoon." I have not showered and have bathed twice. This seems like a set-up to rent a faulty apartment and blame the tenant as I have barely used any water in the entire house due to working and still having time on my old place, what options do I have should this escalate?

    submitted by /u/UbaidReptilian
    [link] [comments]

    Friend's abusive spouse is withholding all access to money so my friend can't pay for a lawyer for their divorce where a lot of money is at stake. Also Bad Spouse a financial sponsor for friend as she's an immigrant. And is restricting access to their home. Looking for advice. CO

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 11:01 AM PST

    Posting for a friend because she's stressed out of her mind dealing with other things at the moment and doesn't use reddit. Also if for whatever reason you look through my post history and think this actually me- nope, I really do have another British friend in a same sex marriage in Colorado!

    "I'm trying to find out how to seek pro bono or reduced cost legal advice for a complicated divorce (in Colorado). Essentially my wife is a very wealthy woman but has been financially controlling (and abusive) and is now withholding funds from me so I can't access legal help.

    I am an immigrant from the UK and I have provisional permanent residency based on marriage, my wife is my financial sponsor. We have been married since April 2019. I entered the marriage with no assets and could not legally work until I got my employment permit this April. She came into a large inheritance shortly after we married, which I understand is not a marital asset. We used some of it along with a loan from her parents to buy a house which I believed we owned jointly, but I have found out I am not actually listed as an owner. This is where we live. We also used some of it to start a business of buying properties to renovate and sell together. We are a registered LLC and own two properties through that business, one of which recently sold for $1 million. Our plan was to live off the proceeds from this sale while reinvesting the rest into our business. I've had a part time job since receiving my work permit and my wife forced me to give her my paychecks from that while she gave me a small allowance.

    We decided to divorce recently and she quickly emptied all our joint accounts. I believe she is trying to hide and move her money around by 'giving' it to family members as I know she's already transferred a large sum to her brother. I have no access to any money or my car. She is also not allowing me entry to the house to collect my belongings and based off what I can see on our Ring camera I believe she's about the change the locks.

    With no access to any finances, I can't afford a divorce attorney because everyone I've contacted requires a large retainer. I am very overwhelmed by the complexity of this divorce and I know she has already hired a lawyer. I would like to find avenues to access affordable legal help, and I also want to know the legality of her not allowing me entry to the house and what the deal is with her being my sponsor as an immigrant. I know I will have to provide a burden of proof to USCIS to show the marriage was entered in good faith and can do that"

    OP again- a sidetone that she is currently staying at our house because she doesn't feel comfortable or safe going back to the house she's been living in with her wife who is being AWFUL.

    submitted by /u/lesleypowers
    [link] [comments]

    [NYC] Car moved illegally, damaged in process

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 02:24 PM PST

    So, I was parked in a legal spot on the street in Brooklyn. I came back a day later to find it missing. No signs or anything indicating I could not park there. I went inside the restaurant it was parked in front of, and they told me that it was moved down the street by the construction company. Upon going to my car, I noticed new scratches and my back left bumper was damaged. I took pictures and I went back to the restaurant and they informed me it was a private property owner across the street who was having sewage work done.

    I am wondering, what legal recourse do I have? The fact that it was just moved down the street suggests to me it was not any sort of officials moving it, just a private company that moved it (illegally?) because they were doing work.

    submitted by /u/prawnjavis
    [link] [comments]

    Boston, MA. Vet forgot to extract 2 of my cat's teeth during surgery. His new vet thinks he needs to get another surgery which will cost me a similar amount of money. Can I sue the hospital?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 10:50 AM PST

    I live in Boston, MA. I have pet insurance.

    My cat had an oral surgery back in June. His teeth were severely infected so they extracted all his teeth. I paid for full extraction. The receipt, as well as my cat's medical documents show they extracted ALL his teeth (they explicitly selected all teeth in the documents).

    After the surgery I brought my cat to another vet (due to unrelated reasons) for a check. Vet told me that they probably forgot to extract two small teeth at the back of his mouth. She told me it's "probably ok and doesn't need to be extracted". Now months after, I brought the cat to the vet again today for vaccination and this time they told me those 2 forgotten teeth are infected and extremely painful as well. So the cat needs another surgery.

    This is terrible because the surgery costed me around $1300 since insurance refused to pay it. Now they're quoting a similar amount $1000 for this surgery. Moreover, my cat was severely traumatized by the surgery. His quality of life was very low for about a month due to surgery. And now he has to endure all that stress again.

    Although I can afford this surgery, I'm very pissed especially because I know my cat will be traumatized again. I'll call the insurance to see if they can pay this surgery but I'm pretty sure the answer is negative.

    Is there a possible case against the first hospital that did the surgery? I know it's been very very long time (surgery was in late June 2020, i.e. about 5 months ago) so I don't have hope. But should I lawyer up?

    EDIT: To be absolutely clear: I'm not asking for any medical advice. The question is, if I sue the hospital that "forgot" to extract my cats teeth, is it worth it?

    submitted by /u/BrokenWineGlass
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve been at internship for 6 weeks and haven’t been paid.

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 04:17 PM PST

    So a little background. I started an internship the week of September 28th and have worked 20 hours a week ever since. I work for a non profit who is run through the Department of Energy in Indiana. So I get paid a stipend through Argonne National Labs so technically my company is not the ones paying me.

    I submitted all of my paperwork my second day and then she asked for my banking information and I gave that to her as well. A few weeks later she called our office freaking out because she didn't have paperwork on the new intern(me). So I resent her the stuff again and she received it and confirmed. Two weeks go by I haven't been paid so I contacted her and she said she didn't have my banking information... so I sent it to her for a third time and now two weeks later again I have not been paid. When I bring it up to my supervisor he just says she is difficult to work with and so on. I can't really be mad at my company because they are not in charge of paying me but still.

    I don't know the labor laws in Indiana and I don't think there is any foul play or anything. Nonetheless it is frustrating and has been 6 weeks of not getting paid which I can use the money obviously. Any recommendations or things I should be aware of?

    submitted by /u/samcarp
    [link] [comments]

    Wife left and took 1 kid but left 2

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 05:02 PM PST

    My wife has been cheating on me with a guy she works with and it all boiled over this afternoon and she packed her stuff and the babys stuff and took off to parts unknown. In the process she left 2 of our kids here. I'm glad she left my babies just wished she would've left them all. My question is what is stopping her from showing up here tomorrow when she has a change of heart and trying to take the other two? Do I have a leg to stand on considering this is their home and they go school. I know my first order of business is to find a lawyer here in Arkansas but what can be done on a Friday night or Saturday morning to ensure they stay in the home with me until there is a order made by a judge. If she did show up in a few days trying to get them that would be the last time I got to see them until the judge ordered visitation. I don't wanna keep my kids from their mother but she did pack up and leave us and I wanna ensure they stay here where they have called a home their whole lives. Sorry for the emotional rant my reddit family is all i got right now in this situation much love everyone.

    submitted by /u/nastynate4492
    [link] [comments]

    Schizophrenic Sister

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:46 PM PST

    I'm an adult and live about 3000 miles away from my family. At my parents' house lives my 25 year old sister and my 17 year old brother with both parents.

    My sister is diagnosed bipolar and on her meds but recently she's been getting aggressive and hallucinating, talking to herself, ranting on social media and in person, and scaring the rest of my family breaking things, screaming, etc.

    My family has called a mobile crisis hotline for help but they can't do anything unless she is actively threatening them or in a violent state (I can't get the full story on how long these episodes last or how often they are - only that they have been ongoing for weeks). The crisis team usually has a 60-90 minute response time in which my sister usually calms down. My parents believe she needs to be put in a medical facility for an extended amount of time for treatment/observation/safety but feel their hands are tied since she is an adult.

    Can you provide advice I can pass along to them? I feel powerless living on the other side of the country. I reach out to my sister, but get little to no response even when she seems lucid.

    Edit - they are located in New York State, USA

    submitted by /u/CarsAndBikesAndStuff
    [link] [comments]

    KS, USA can a therapist treat a teenager without notifying their parents? (Sorry if wrong tag)

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:30 PM PST

    My teenage sister needs a therapist, she doesn't have insurance and apparently my stepdad makes too much money for her to qualify for medicaid.

    They are currently private paying for a therapist for her, but they refuse to let her go to sessions alone and my mom (incorrectly) says that since she is paying, she has a right to be there. The therapist routinely sides with my mom and her dad on issues, it's definitely not a safe/healthy environment. When I was a teenager, my mom did similar shit and if my mom thought my therapy was ever influencing me against her, she'd make me change therapist. So really my mom just can't be trusted to be involved.

    I'm hoping to be able to pay out of pocket for my sister to do telehealth therapy, but I don't know if there are legal barriers to that arrangement. My sister does feel like she has quite a bit of privacy in her room, so I don't think she would be interrupted, and I'm not really able to help more directly because I live three hours away.

    I've seen some states have arrangements for this for LGBTQ+ minors, and my sister would fall under that, if it makes a difference.

    I also don't really know how to go about getting this arranged if I'm allowed to legally. Also, if this isn't the right sub, please let me know, thank you.

    submitted by /u/Mrssomethingstarwars
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Employer requires that I process my timesheet off the clock before I close the store, and round to the nearest 15 minutes for each day

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 06:51 PM PST

    I work for a small business in California. Like the title states, our timecards need to be submitted on Friday. The problem with this is that I can't print my timecard for the two week period until I have clocked out since the pay period includes that Friday.

    Are either of these situations considered violations of labor laws?

    QUESTION 1, ROUNDING) Once the time card has been printed, I'm supposed to tally each day by hand like this: round each day to the nearest quarter of an hour. So 8:07 hours equals 8 regular hours, and 0 overtime. 8:08 hours equals 8 hours regular and .25 hours of overtime. Regardless of the rounding I make well above minimum wage.

    QUESTION 2, TIME OFF THE CLOCK) this process takes at least 15 minutes each time and is expected to be done off the clock. In case this is useful, here are my steps. I have to clock out, run the report, print the paper, tally by hand, sign, scan, email, THEN close the store which means turn off the ac, shut down, unplug and hide the computers, turn off the lights, set the alarm, lock the door.

    I'm annoyed about it. Im guessing that this would be a labor dispute and that I would have to show time that was worked that was unpaid and then I would be reimbursed for what was unpaid and it's not worth pursuing. I'm looking for clarity for my own peace of mind because I feel bullied.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/toMurgatroyd
    [link] [comments]

    [Austin, TX] Fridge broke down, the property management company says it's not their responsibility

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 06:44 PM PST

    Problem: My family rented a house and our fridge that was included in the rental broke down, the property management company refused to fix it, saying we have to pay out of pocket and fix it ourselves or buy a new fridge and leave it here after we move out.

    Details in the lease:

    1. Under Property section, it says "Landlord leases to Tenant the following real property... together with non-real-property items: Refrigerator, Washer/Dryer."
    2. Under Property Maintenance section, in prohibitions, it says "Tenant may not: ...(7)install, change, or remove any: fixture, appliance, or non-real-property items listed in Paragraph 2." (paragraph 2 is the Property section)
    3. Under Repairs section, in payment of repair costs, it says "Landlord will NOT pay to repair the following items unless caused by landlord's negligence: ...(f)the following specific items or appliances: Refrigerators, Dishwashers...."

    The fridge just broke down all the sudden, we think it's the compressor that's busted, and there's no abuse or misuse of the fridge on our part.

    What are our legal options?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/ExistentialMeme
    [link] [comments]

    Was looking at homes (NY) for a while now my parents want to sell me their house with no realtor involved. Is it legal to give my realtor I've been working with for 2 months some cash as appreciation for their service?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 06:42 PM PST

    Basically she's been super helpful but my parents don't want to list.

    I'm getting their house for a deal, just paying for inspection and general fees/ no real closing costs, plus excess equity.

    I want to reward her for helping me look, but this deal is too good to pass. I'd use her in the future but I don't want to have wasted her time.

    Advice on legally compensating her on some degree without hiring her against my parents wishes?

    submitted by /u/JollyMcStink
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment