• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 26, 2020

    Legal Advice - Uncle wants me to visit for basically a suicide going away and I'm uncomfortable

    Legal Advice - Uncle wants me to visit for basically a suicide going away and I'm uncomfortable


    Uncle wants me to visit for basically a suicide going away and I'm uncomfortable

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    Uncle (65M) lives in South Florida. I (26M) from southern MS.

    My uncle has always contemplated suicide - he has been in a state home for years and is in constant pain. I have no issues with one's right to commit suicide, but I don't know the legality behind it. However, this post is about his "suicide plan."

    He want me to drive down and visit for a weekend so he can go over the items/pictures he has and wants me to inherit. But, he wants to do the deed the night I visit while I'm staying at a nearby hotel... I don't know the legality behind suicide, but I know this will seem suspicious. I'm not his executor - a long time friend is. She is going to visit to try to convince him to let her move items out beforehand. He seems very concerned that the moment he dies, residents in the building will come take all of his stuff (which is probably true). So, she (who is uncomfortable with suicide), said she would visit to move the belongings he wants me to inherit into a storage unit. That way, if something were to happen, he would at least know that stuff was safe.

    He doesn't like this plan. I can't come visit like he wants. It is a 9 hour drive from where I am, I am 6 months into a new job with limited vacation, and I'm also in an online graduate program. Not to mention COVID-19 running rampant and I have a poor immune system. I'm just not in a good place to travel. Let alone the reason. I'm also thinking, what if I go and he tries to do it, but it fails and leaves him worse off?

    The whole thing makes me really uncomfortable, but I'd like to know what could legally happen surrounding this whole ordeal. Like, if I visit and it happens, or what can happen to the stuff... etc.

    My question is: what could legally happen to me, or his executor, in this scenario? Any advice is appreciated (Other than the Baker Act for him - I know that's an option, but I don't want to go there).

    UPDATE: this is getting more traction than I thought, so let me add some information. As of right now, his friend, who is also his executor, that is able to travel to help him is planning to ship me the items he wants me to have. He has no use for these items anymore and he knows I do, so he wants me to have them now. I am the only family left that talks to him. There is one other, but they have zero contact and have for over 5 years. I doubt they would learn of his passing as he explicitly states in his will that she is to get nothing. My uncle is physically and mentally unable to make any additional preparations. This friend that is visiting him is the most help he can get. He has been in this facility for around 30 years - family and friends have tried to help him on multiple occasions and he has always denied it. We are not very close. My grandmother (his mother) and I were, and after she passed he maintained contact with me as a final tie to the family. Also, for the reason of inheriting sentimental family items to pass down.

    submitted by /u/layinaround2019
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor chopped down our tree before the closing date of our home sale

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    This is in Colorado, Adams County. Our neighbor cut down a large pine tree (and left the stump) that borders our property. Branches extend over our property onto his, but the body of the tree is on our property. I have alerted our realtor. What other steps should we take?

    EDIT: I am the owner of the property in Colorado. I am in the process of selling this house. The closing date is in 5 days.

    submitted by /u/Maa1989
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors Spying On Us

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 02:11 PM PDT

    My SO and I recently bought a townhouse and were made aware from our neighbor that he has wide angle cameras in the front and back of his property that cover our front yard/parking spots and our fenced backyard. In addition, these are recording audio and he insinuated that he heard our conversations regarding some actions of theirs that we weren't fond of; spying on us. Although we don't say anything out there that we wouldn't say to their face, we find it incredibly creepy that they are spying on us. Is is legal for them to be recording audio and video of us on our property without our consent? This is in Fairfax County Virginia.

    submitted by /u/ccrew95
    [link] [comments]

    2 girls spent their childhoods being raped and tortured, and cops say there's nothing that can be done.

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 10:49 PM PDT

    My sister married a really crazy religious nut and moved to a farmhouse out in the middle of nowhere, thousands of miles away from any family. During the time that they were married, she was constantly pregnant--she had 8 kids total. He's a preacher, and a lawyer. A few years ago they moved back to Oregon, and my sister finally left the guy.

    So now they are going through a divorce, and he has 1/2 custody of the children. A few weeks ago her oldest daughter (now 19) had a bit of a mental breakdown, and had to go to the hospital for a few days. While she was in there she told the social worker that from the age of 7, up to the time they moved, her father would torture (choke, gouge her eyes, etc) and rape her. The second oldest (now 16) told her mother the same thing happened to her.

    My sister called the cops and the cops said it was a case of their word vs. his, and because it happened in a different state there was little they could do. CPS was called and they said that since the youngest children (in elementary school) did not come forward and say there were an issues, there was nothing they can do.

    I'm dumbfounded. I have a very difficult time believing that he can just get away with this, and continue to see the children. I'm curious if there is anything that can be done in a situation like this.

    EDIT: I thought I'd have to wait until Monday morning to call CPS, but it turns out they take reports 24/7. I called CPS, spoke with someone and told them everything I know. Thank you to everyone for answering my questions, I will continue to follow-up with the police, etc. I will do everything within my power to make sure this person is not able to harm anyone else, and hopefully pay for what they have already done.

    submitted by /u/yosoyunmaricon
    [link] [comments]

    I'm being asked to commit insurance fraud by a well-respected company, in order to get house damage covered; what should I do?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 05:29 PM PDT

    I recently did business with a well-respected local company that cuts down trees, I will call them "BestTreeCuttersAround". Before I hired them, I asked BestTreeCuttersAround in writing if they had insurance. The owner responded in writing that they did, past a million dollars. They had many good reviews on social media sites and on Nextdoor, so I hired them.

    During the job, something went terribly wrong, and a tree fell right on my house. There is 10K - 25K in damage. This was when things started to get very fishy. The owner has requested that I lie to their insurance company about who was at the job site, in order to get my house damage covered. Apparently only "John Smith" (not the real name) was covered by their insurance, and their insurance only will pay if John Smith was cutting down the tree. John Smith was NOT at the job site, let alone cutting down the tree.

    I have not yet spoken to their insurance company, but the insurance company has called me and I need to call them back. They will ask me about what happened. BestTreeCuttersAround is a VERY respected local company, and I'm concerned that my personal property or safety could be jeopardized if I don't lie. No threat has ever been made towards me, it's just that I can imagine a lot of people would be very upset if I told the truth, because I would be exposing these guys for (from my understanding) trying to commit insurance fraud.

    I want the damage to my house covered, but I don't want to commit insurance fraud, or make enemies of my neighbors. At first I was in shock from the accident and agreed with what they asked me to do. Since then, I have thought it over, and am no longer comfortable telling a lie to the insurance company. I am not sure how to navigate this situation. Please advise.

    Edit: grammar

    Edit2: "John Smith" is a real person (who has been by my house since the accident), but he was not present the day the tree fell on my house, and he certainly wasn't the one doing the cutting. Had he been doing the cutting, perhaps the tree would not have fallen on my house. I don't know why the tree company chose to only insure a single person, but I suspect it was to save money.

    submitted by /u/NeedHelp8250
    [link] [comments]

    My father died leaving his assists to his business partners alone, assuming they’d care for his family. My mother and I have 86.00 between us.

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    My father died after a long bout with cancer that was getting better but got worse, details still unclear. I'm in a strange city away from the family business, which he put my two uncles in charge of during his absence. They will not pick up calls. Meanwhile we have rent, medical bills and funeral costs due as well as the medication we both need to function (bad PTSD and depression due to the cercimatances of us immigrant lung here as refugees. I have no money to pay for an appointment to get mine and my mothers class 2 medications despite getting it monthly for years. The doctors will not perscrble without an appointment. I lost my freelance job and have no insurance anyway, plus savings are used up due to bills. I am absolutely desperate besides being in complete shock and grief. I am in such a panic I cannot even feel I can mourn properly. Everyone expects me to solve this as I know the most English. Please advise what we may be able to do.

    Houston tx Businesses in questions Brooklyn and Queens ny

    submitted by /u/mimimart
    [link] [comments]

    Being Sued by Ex Girlfriend

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    My ex girlfriend started a design firm and she gave advise on changes to be made to my old house. Things such as wall color, countertops, etc... she helped paint and set up certain contractors to get these improvements done. I paid for all contract labor and materials. I broke up with her late last year and she has filed a lawsuit against me for $8k in "design work". There was never an agreement for her to be paid or any form of contract. I have not been served, but received a letter with a case number. Looking for advice on how to proceed with this case, I have since moved. This is in Harris county, Houston Texas.

    submitted by /u/RMFF_1008
    [link] [comments]

    Parents have been using my identity to buy and sell real estate and I don't know what to do

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:06 PM PDT

    Since before turning 18, I always got talk about becoming a landlord like my parents, and that if I start young I'll have more money for the future. I've been telling them since I was 17 that I didn't want my career to be like theirs; taking people to court, arguing with people on the phone, having people threaten their safety over money, and so on. It should be obvious, but no matter how many times I've told them I don't want to be a part of the "family business," they say I'm being a spoiled brat, and tell me to just "shut up and sign the papers." I've gone to many closings, signed power of attorney forms, contracts and such, against my will for over 8 years. I know I objectively had a choice to say no and walk away, but I have crippling anxiety and thought that if I didn't sign, the realtors and lawyers involved would have taken a financial hit if the deal didn't go through. That may or may not be true, but my point is that they neglect to tell me certain information and wait until a couple days before the closing to say I need to be there. The control issue stems back all through my childhood and is a subject for a different thread.

    So this goes on for 8 years now. Every time I tell them very clearly, "I don't want to do this." Since moving out of their house 3 years ago, they've resorted to photocopying and even forging my signature on documents I don't sign in time or refuse to come sign. I only know this because my mother has told me. I don't have access to my paperwork. They saved a photocopy of my ID. They know my social security number. I can't file my own taxes because I have no idea what I own. They've harassed me at the minimum wage jobs I took about business deals they want. They're so eager to move things around and "free up money for taxes" that they pay my down payments. I remember at a couple closings that there may be contracts saying I need to own a property for a certain number of years before I can sell it again, and I have no idea what to do about it. My mom even resorted to ordering checks for my business account and writes them herself under my name. It's totally out of my control it seems.

    Sorry I know this is getting long. But last night my partner of 7 years springs on me that we have an opportunity to move to California and take over his grandparents' homestead. I instantly freeze up and become terrified about the thought of moving to a different state while having business ties in Illinois. I don't know how to sell my own properties, if I even can at the moment. My friends have suggested contacting a lawyer but I'm terrified of suing my own parents. They deal with lawyers all the time, I feel powerless. They control my finances. I haven't seen any of the money I've supposedly made from their deals with me. We've been forced to live in properties that either they own or I own because my father has a control obsession over me.

    Aside from the obvious anxiety of trying to leave an unhealthy family relationship, I have no idea how to go about getting the real estate out of my name. They've tried promising me that they'll work on buying the properties back, but its been almost 2 years with no action. I know things are probably harder to take care of with Covid, but there has to be something. I don't have any physical proof of their fraud other than verbal interactions. They were even audited by the IRS last year, they've been doing shady shit for a long time. I just want to be financially independent, even if I do end up losing money. All this has ruined any traces of a normal emotional relationship with them. If I have to resort to saying, "you'll be hearing from my lawyer about this," then so be it. I hope all that made sense, I'll try to answer any questions or details that may be unclear. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Professional-Sink-72
    [link] [comments]

    Social Security Benefits

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 06:52 PM PDT

    So, basically, my mother died when I was 6, I am now 21F and living in Texas. I was adopted by my aunt and she received social security benefits for me because of my mom passing. The payments were monthly until I graduated high school. I am not sure on the amount that was saved, but I last heard it was $12K. So my issue is that growing up she always told me that she had to send proof to the government yearly that she used the money on me/ supporting me. She would always say that she had to spend the money and lie about spending it since she was actually saving it for me. I recently heard from a friend that was also receiving social security benefits for a parent passing that the money didn't have to be spent because in the yearly proof for the government, there was an option of saving the money. So, honestly, I don't know if she lied saying she spent it every year or didn't, but I know she told me she did. How this is relevant now is that she kicked me out a couple of years ago and won't give me the money for college or anything even though I have asked many times. Sadly, out of anger at the things she said I didn't keep any of the messages as proof. I'm just looking on advice to see if I can get the money back or something as I don't think she has spent it because she is pretty well off without it and I think it's more out of spite than anything.

    edit: Thought I should add that I wasn't able to get all of my stuff when I got kicked out, and she won't give the rest to me because I now live with my dad...

    submitted by /u/queeneshelbs
    [link] [comments]

    What legal arguments can I give to convince my son not to go visit his underage online girlfriend abroad

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    My son (20) is finishing his first year of University in a different city, we are expats and live in a very 1st world country. I (40F) have two other kids here and live with their dad.

    My son started chatting with this girl (16) through Instagram. She has a private account with many followers and little to no posts. I only know her name. He has met her here twice. He met her mom one of those times, more than a year ago, they had invited him to stay there overnight and we said no, it did not seem appropriate, he went to visit for the day.

    He is now convinced he has to go to her country to visit her. Says that her family approves and want to meet him, that they won't let her come here again if they don't meet him. That the parents are separated, that they will host him. They are in Cyprus. The girl is a minor, we don't even know her last name. Age of consent there is 17, where we are is 16. He is an adult and can do as he pleases and we have said that we absolutely disapprove but we can not decide for him. He asks for our opinion about everything and it is very hard for him to decide things. I perceive he is being pressured but I don't want to invade him by asking specifics.

    I feel this is totally wrong, that her being a minor is a huge red flag, I am scared of him jeopardizing his life, safety, residence permit, studies, etc for a relationship online that has also been broken up a couple of times and he is very protective of and attached to.

    Are there better arguments to prevent him from going?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Throwaway_stepmom20
    [link] [comments]

    Orthodontist knows I have a good medical malpractice case against her. Now she wants me to sign something “in order to take my braces off.”

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    Entire 15 month treatment is paid in full. I'm almost certain she is trying to convince me to sign something that says I can't sue her.

    If I sign so she takes off my braces, can I still sue?

    I rather not explain the medical malpractice claim because it may be too specific that she could tell it's me, if she came across this post.

    submitted by /u/str011ingthr0ugh
    [link] [comments]

    Wife's Boss May Be Misusing or Abusing NIH Federal Grant Money

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    I am posting this on behalf of my wife. My wife has a career within the international science community. Her boss heads 2 laboratories, one in the US Montana (non amet) , the other in a foreign country. It has come to my wifes attention that her boss has acquired a federal grant from the NIH to conduct some research involving pre-clinical trials, problem is that his US laboratory doesn't have the qualified individuals to conduct this specific research, nor does it have the necessary resources or supplies (this involves live animal specimens for pre-clinical trials of a specific disease, they are not something that can simply be sourced immediately). Her boss is talking about outsourcing the research to his foreign laboratory and assigning my wife to the project, but he has stated that he wants to simply do this under the table and not declare it as part of the contract for the grant, he also said that he will not be using any of the funds from the grant to pay the second laboratory (to pay the second lab would require an official contract which he refuses to do), so it seems hes going to either pocket the money/pad his salary with it, or spend the funds on his own US lab that is not conducting the research. To our knowledge the NIH allows for a "foreign component" to be involved and to do some or all of the work if required which is legal, but this must be included on the grant application, and be declared to the NIH. The funds involved are substantial and in any state or at federal level for that matter. At the very least his intentions are highly unethical and most likely criminal should he follow through with his intentions. My question is: what specific law or laws at the US federal level would he be breaking should he go through with this? He has already engaged in a litany of unethical and sketchy things in the past, but this one takes the cake. My wife is trying to dissuade him from proceeding in this and to do it properly through the right channels, but in order to convince him (or to take action and report it should he ignore the warnings) she needs to know what laws govern this type of behavior in the US. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ThrowawayNIH8675309
    [link] [comments]

    Dog bite St.Charles, IL

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 02:07 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I was walking my dog (MD Mastiff/lab 80 pounds neutered) around the apartment complex and saw the known aggressive dog (80 pounds boxer not neutered) who we'll call AG also along the path a little ways ahead. A week prior AG attacked another dog and bit said dog around the neck while in the apartment's fenced dog area. As MD and I approached AG and owner who were standing near the pool area I had MD's harness in my left hand and leash in my right as he is excitable around dogs and wanted to keep him close. AG who is wearing a metal pronged collar starts barking and lunging at us and owner is pulling on leash attached to collar which somehow makes the collar come off and AG rushes me and MD. I was able to put myself between AG and MD and AG got a hold of my right hand and had a locked hold. I turned in a circle keeping MD behind me and had to punch AG twice in the head with my left hand to free myself. The owner of MD stood there watching not once helping, then when bystanders who were at the pool and walking around the path assisted and called 911 the owner took AG and fled the scene. I had made a quick snap chat of my hand and my dog who was sniffing my hand as I lay on the grass in shock. The owner of AG told in the police report which I requested and read that my dog attacked myself and her and AG. The apartment complex also told me that they had no record of the dog because the owner never registered it or told the complex the dog was staying with her.

    I was having a panic attack because I don't have health insurance and had to go to the ER in an ambulance and had to get stitches on my right hand 7/14/2020. I then had surgery on the right hand with an orthopedic surgeon on 7/21/2020 to explore and reattach a tendon thought was lacerated which was making me unable to move my finger but it was something built up on the palm side of my hand that he had to clean up which now has allowed me such better mobility.

    I would like to know what to expect in the upcoming litigation process and how to proceed with filing a lawsuit against the owner or owner's renters insurance or apartment complex.

    [NSFW]

    https://imgur.com/a/HosoTpg

    submitted by /u/soswoll
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor Keeps Filing Nuisance's For Stupid Things

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    TL:DR Neighbor Keeps Reporting Nuisances that are extremely minor, don't know what to do.

    So, I'll start off by saying I'm a new homeowner and just got a place in Montgomery AL (Military, not exactly here by choice).

    Within 30 days of moving in, I get a City of Montgomery, Alabama nuisance letter. Stating various things on my property that need to be addressed (weeds, trash that isn't trash on property, etc), none of which were exactly true or extreme. After taking care of some small things, I call back and get them to re-inspect which alleviates the issue.

    After some time, talked to a couple neighbors and they seem friendly (two are fanatical about their yard) and most of the community is older folks. Fast Forward two more months, and I get another letter complaining about weeds and litter (someone threw 2 empty soda bottles on my yard).

    I'm took care of what they had described, but am getting charged $50 for "processing fees" for the nuisance. I'll have someone out tomorrow to re-inspect, but that's not what worries me.

    I don't know what to do to make my neighbors happy and prevent them from filing another report which apparently will result in me facing "Prosecution in Municipal Court may result pursuant to Section 1-6 , Code of Ordinances of the City of Montgomery..."

    I'd really not prefer to go to court, but I'm not sure how to make my neighbors happy all the time. Most of them seem to be older retired folk with nothing to do on their hands. Additionally, I have no idea who is reporting me so I cannot have a conversation with them about what the problem is.

    I am young (23 years old), but have been working to keep the property nice while I've been renovating the interior. I definitely not have purchased a home in this area if I knew there's was a good chance I'd be in court about people littering on my yard. The kicker is, 4-5 houses down there are several houses with very poorly kept yards.

    I don't know what to do and would appreciate some advice here. I already reached out via email to my district councilman about the situation, as well as submitted requests for the report documents on my property. Maybe the reporter is on there and I can have a conversation with them?

    Link to City Ordinances

    submitted by /u/neighborsreallysuck
    [link] [comments]

    My grandpa is being harassed on FaceTime

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:49 PM PDT

    Hi legal reddit! I hope some of you have experienced a situation my family is dealing with. If there is a more appropriate place to post this, please let me know!

    Basically, my grandpa is being harassed by a group of teenagers (he thinks, based on their voices). These people are calling every couple days... as many as 30 calls in 30 minutes on FaceTime. Each call comes from a different number in our area code, so they must be using a site or app that lets them generate or create their own numbers. My grandpa stopped answering number that he doesn't have saved, but sometimes can't touch his phone for 30+ minutes while its being blown up, and other times his phone is popping off late at night.

    My grandma just texted me freaking out because they won't stop calling. She went to the police, and they told her there's nothing they can do.

    He obviously can't block the number, because it's different every time. Does anybody have any advice on how we can get this to stop??

    UPDATE: I'm going through and calling the numbers. I'm weeding out which are not REAL phone numbers, and which are connected to real people (who all sound young and nervous).

    submitted by /u/ranchdressingordie
    [link] [comments]

    Mom has Paper Trail on me, alleged that Ive threatened to kill her, should I call the police preemptively in case she tries to sue me one day or something?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    This is in NYC. My Mom records, takes pictures, and emails everything Ive done wrong so that she has evidence when I turn 21 to kick me out of the apartment. Normally this wouldn't be that much of an issue since I'm used to it, but she sent me an email where she said that I threatened to kill her. I did not, and I told her so. I told her that "she's going to kill me, well, somewhat technically", which I later explained meant that Im gonna get so sick of her emotional abuse that its gonna drive me to suicide. She knows that, and I know she knows, because I remember her responding to me saying that. And yet I got the email. Which has a part highlighted in red, which after saying that I threatened to harm her and kill her (which I never said in the whole conversation at all), "That was an extremely serious threat, there is no excuse, and now there is a paper trail.". So She's just flat out lying now. So should I call the police first thing in the morning so that I don't get sued for this in the future or something? If it matters I'm 19.

    submitted by /u/Nyahvana
    [link] [comments]

    Won judgment against landlord - has ghosted me, what now? (TX)

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    Long story short, I paid a deposit to a landlord, went above and beyond in fulfilling my obligations to the landlord (3 months notice in a month to month lease, had carpets professionally cleaned, had home professionally cleaned, etc) but he never returned my $1,600 deposit. This isn't in dispute, he has admitted that he owes it.

    My company was kind enough to let me utilize one of our attorneys to represent me in the matter and we were awarded 3x the deposit amount plus $100 ($4,900) as well as reasonable attorneys fees. This was in January. The landlord didn't bother to appear and hasn't bothered to respond. I am no longer in Texas, and honestly I've sort of forgotten about the whole thing, but I hate the idea of him getting away with this. He's basically just told myself and others to pound sand by completely ghosting us all on this.

    So my advice question: I don't want to keep burdening my employer and their attorneys with this - I feel like I should be able to handle it. What is my next step? Do I just need to find my own attorney? If so, what type? I'm just sort of lost as to next steps once a judgment is awarded but the responsible party has decided to ignore it.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TomBradysThumb
    [link] [comments]

    Someone who has the same name and birthday as me has a bad background MN

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    So I found out earlier this year someone with the same first and last name and birthday as me has a huge criminal history items such as domestic abuse, carrying without a permit, and a few other things and since I recently got let go from my last place of employment I keep getting turned down due to this error. How do I go about getting myself separated from the person who turns up with a criminal history especially when the only thing i have on my record drinking before 21?

    submitted by /u/N8iv3G4mer
    [link] [comments]

    Land Issues

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 08:47 AM PDT

    My wife and I bought our home 7 years ago and all is well. Two years ago our neighbor who moved in after us; said that a part of our driveway is on their property. Our homes are separated by a fence which has probably been there 10+ years and the driveway is on our side of the fence so we assumed part of our land. When we had a survey completed, it indeed confirmed that about 10 sq ft of the drive way is on his land (he has a total of 50000+ sq ft in his land/1 acre) and another 1500sq/0.03 acres ft on what I thought was my land on my side of the fence does belong to my neighbor. We started down the path of land acquisition, however my title company stated the neighbor had an IRS lean and we could not proceed. I have tried to be amicable but his aggressive response has always been we either buy the land or he will build a fence on his land across the front of our home (over text messages).

    Fast forward to now, we have gone back down the process as the IRS Lien is paid off on their home. We agreed I would pay for an appraisal as that is required for his mortgage loan modification process and that just came back this week. It values his land at $5500; however his response over text is that he spoke to his attorney (who has sent me a letter saying his client would like me to stop using the land or amicably buy it from him) and two local real estate agents and he values the land between $15,000 - $21,000 and he would only like offers on that range plus the cost of the surveys which would be around $3k on top. We are based in Georgia...

    I am hesitant to spend thousands on legal fees and this feel like extortion so wanted to get the Gurus on this forum to give their thoughts.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/PresenceAcrobatic761
    [link] [comments]

    Mom stole $1,750 out of bank teen joint bank account. I'm 18 now how could I get it back?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    My mother stole $1,750 out of a teen joint account I set up as a kid. She did this while I'm 18 so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to get it back. I'm grateful for any help or advice. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/throwawaymomstole
    [link] [comments]

    My Dad is trapped in a Philippine hospital, can't afford bill, they won't let him leave, and his bill goes up each day they hold him

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 12:08 AM PDT

    What are some options here? What can be done? I really don't want my Dad to go to prison in that country.

    Edit: I have confirmed it's him, I no longer need to be told it could be a scam

    submitted by /u/Serious_Delirious
    [link] [comments]

    Employer wants to make us work 12 hour work days as salary with no overtime. (Oregon)

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    I work as a test engineer for a medium sized manufacturing plant (~300 people). Recently we had our senior technician let go and another lab member resign. So to keep up with production output until further notice for the week. They haven't been specific on when new hiring will happen to pick up the slack. Management wants us too put in 12 hour days until the quota is finished without any overtime because we are salary. I believe they are taking advantage of this fact. According to Oregon labor laws we are only exempt form overtime as salary employees only if we hold an administrative or supervisor position. Which we don't. I want to make sure before I bring it up.

    submitted by /u/lietolove
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment