• Breaking News

    Friday, June 5, 2020

    Legal Advice - Possibly the final update for stolen lake house.

    Legal Advice - Possibly the final update for stolen lake house.


    Possibly the final update for stolen lake house.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 02:12 PM PDT

    Indiana

    post one

    post two

    Detective solved the case! Property preservation company is claiming full responsibility. They had the wrong house. None of the houses they owned out there had lot numbers on them in their system so they just ASSumed and went with it.

    Yes my mom is in contact with her atty before she settles. There is so much more that goes into this than just $30k worth of missing things. She asked if the DA is going to take the case he said they could but he advised her to contact her atty Monday before making that decision.

    The lake association had their monthly meeting. At which time the president informed everyone that the no trespassing signs weren't real. So my take on the neighbors is they are just assholes. But the detective called and talked to her so I'm sure they are aware now. I just am ready for it all to be over and I appreciate the amount of notice this has gotten here. My family is very impressed with all of you. ❤️

    submitted by /u/XRainbowCupcakeX
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE - Condo board is telling me as of June 5th the parking spot i own, will be converted into a handicapped spot, but there are no other parking spots available. Is this legal?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    My original post: here

    Thank you for all the advice, we ended up talking to a lawyer on Tuesday, and we paid him a small amount to write a nicely worded letter indicating that our Condo board had no right to do what they are doing.

    The condo board has more or less agreed that they are in the wrong (yeah fuck them), and will be pursing other alternatives to create handicapped parking for this new owner.

    Today the owner who wants the spot came to my door, telling me that i need to move my car because as of today it "belonged" to her. I explained to her what the condo board told me and she got very upset.

    For now i am not going to move my car because i think she could be more of an issue then my condo board.

    To answer a few questions:

    • I did offer the condo board an option to buy my spot for a stupidly high price of $200,000 and a guaranteed spot when they increase the parking space. They are not interested.
    • I do infact own this parking spot it is owned by me and deeded to me.
    • There is no street parking/stopping in front of our building.
    • Handicapped spots are actually owned/managed by the building.
    • The issue came to heads when the people who bought the condo, had a verbal promise that there was available handicapped parking. However not long after making that promise another tenant needed a handicapped parking spot due to him being stuck in a wheelchair. So the spot ended up going to him.
    • The actual owner who is complaining about this actually owns a non handicapped spot, however they refuse to trade it because they have two vehicles. Their other vehicle is one of those specialized minivans for wheelchairs.
    • Finally the owner who has been making all of this fuss has been trying to take the condo board to court over this.

    Anyways thank you legaladvice for your help!

    submitted by /u/ParkingSpotHelp1192
    [link] [comments]

    I recently found out that my grandparents left me 50k when they died years ago. My dad used that money without me knowing.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 01:29 AM PDT

    Throwaway account for obvious reasons.

    I was talking to my mom today and she revealed something very interesting to me. My grandparents, when they died, left all of us grandkids 50k each.

    I don't have all of the info yet, but my mom said that all of us kids had accounts (or maybe cheques or something?) with the 50k in them that were only supposed to only be accessed by us kids, when we turned 18.

    I don't know if that money was left to us in a will, or if it was put into an account before they passed. I think this all happened right before they died so they could 'gift' us the money to avoid paying taxes or something?? (I'm only in my early 20's I have no idea how this shit works lol)

    Apparently, after my grandparents died (like 15 years ago) my father got his lawyer to do some shady shit and somehow accessed all of our money, which he then used to buy a house for himself.

    Now I never even knew about this money and i certainly never gave my father permission to access this money (I was only 8 when they died anyways, i couldn't consent to that back then)

    I don't have any physical proof of this money ever existing though, just my mom's word. I don't know how I can even find out if this money ever existed and don't know if this is something I would even be able to sue my dad for.

    Any thoughts for next steps? Is this something that I could pursue? Would this be worth pursuing?

    Tl;dr: My grandparents apparently left me money when they died. My pos dad used that money to buy himself a house. I don't know if I can get that money back bc I don't have proof of it existing.


    Some additional info:

    Edit#1: We all live in the states (FL)- we moved out of the country for a few years when I was younger so that's why i spell it 'cheque'

    Edit#2: I'm 99% what my mom's saying is true. There is a bit of animosity between my parents for sure- but my mother has never lied to me before. She's also a nun and lying is against her religion.

    Edit #3: My siblings and I are the only grandchildren of my grandparents. None of us knew about this money.

    submitted by /u/Bitter-Lingonberry
    [link] [comments]

    Mom was bit by the autistic neighbor while he tried to break into our house and climb into our pool.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    To start, we live in the US and specifically in MD.

    Our neighbors have been friends of ours for many years now, but time has separated us and now we rarely talk. They have their hands full with their severely autistic child who recently turned 18. He used to go to a home during the day, but now the place he was staying during the day has closed due to the pandemic. Our county has assigned a rotating schedule of at-home caretakers for the time being, but the caretakers are typically older.

    The past few weeks, our neighbors' autistic child has been escaping the supervision of his caretakers. When doing this, he runs into our house and takes the nearest VHS tapes he can find. Our front door is normally unlocked while we are home, so he runs right in. we have attempted to physically restrain him but I do not want to hurt him because we are scared of charges being pressed if he was hurt. I'm not sure of the trespassing laws protect us if something were to happen. All he is after are some VHS Tapes. The third time he entered our house, we had moved the VHS tapes and he became violent. His caretaker arrived a few minutes later and helped him out of the house. Of course, we more frequently began to lock our doors. We should have started making a habit of locking our doors earlier but going inside and outside is frequent while everyone is home. Luckily, the locked doors prevented a few attempts at getting in.

    This morning he escaped again and tried to get into our house. The front door was locked but we heard him trying to body-slam the door to get in. He ran around to the back of our yard through our open fence and tried to get into the back door. That was locked as well. My mom was in the room and witnessed him trying to get in the back door. After he realized the attempt was fruitless, he decided to try to get into our above-ground swimming pool. The ladder to get into and out of the pool was locked, so he started to climb over the 4 ft wall to get in, tearing apart the top of the pool while he was at it. Mom, assuming he could not swim, attempted to restrain him from getting in the pool because we did not want him to drown, and did not want to be liable if he drowned. By now the caretaker had arrived and watched the following scene unfold. He turned and elbowed my mom in the ribs until she loosened her grip, then bit her forearm enough to draw blood. She immediately called for the caretaker to help release him, but she was able to free herself. She has since visited a medical professional and was prescribed antibiotics and a tetanus shot.

    We do not want to press charges because we know the parents and the caretakers personally, but something needs to change. How do we protect ourselves legally if he were to get hurt on our property? What can we do to protect ourselves in this situation? Should we attempt to restrain him? Just let him be? Should I give my mom pepper spray for protection? We are planning on contacting the parents again tonight, but they are aware this is happening. Thanks in advance for any insight you may have for our family.

    submitted by /u/Scottaviusb
    [link] [comments]

    My Pharmacist won't refill my prescription any more because its too expensive.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    This is in NC.

    I went to pick up my prescription refill today and my pharmacist said that after this refill, they will no longer refill my prescription, even though I have multiple refills left on my script.

    They told me that "your insurance sucks", and they're losing too much money on my prescription (a zero cost to me BC) and won't refill for me specifically any longer. They said they carry the same medication for other customers and will continue to do so. Given that this doesn't hit the 'conscious clause' birth control refusal normally does, is this a legal refusal?

    submitted by /u/GWillikers_
    [link] [comments]

    My wife was injured by falling construction materials from the neighbors house.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 05:36 AM PDT

    Hello, I am hoping for some guidance on what to do going forward.

    I live in a major metropolitan area, and as a result houses are very close together in my neighborhood. The next door house to us was previously owned by a absent landlord who let the house fall into disrepair. As a result the city had condemned the property and the city inspector had a long list of repairs that would be required to allow for it to be occupied again.

    The landlord ended up selling the property over the winter and when spring came the new owner has hired several different trades and contractors to come over and do various interior and exterior projects, including most recently a completely new roof.

    The roof was so bad that it needed to be completely removed and new trusses built up. Yesterday they began to put new sheathing on the roof, made of 5/8" sheets of OSB. While my wife was on our deck, in our back yard, potting some plants, an unsecured 4'x8' sheet of OSB came sliding off the neighbor's single story roof and hit her in the face. She called her father hysterical after taking a pretty solid blow to the face, and by the time he got over with his wife to our house, my wife was laying on the deck with the two main contractors consoling her.

    Shortly after they arrived, my wife started to get loopy and did a few things that made no sense, like trying to take cover under a chair on the deck. This was soon followed by a 4-5 minute seizure, which she does not have a history of having. My in-laws called 911 and an ambulance took her to the hospital. She had multiple more seizures on the way to the hospital.

    She was discharged from the hospital last night, and told to periodically ice her face, and continue to take ibuprofen and Tylenol. I'm not entirely confident that the hospital gave her the best care, and my brother who is a nurse has suggested we try to get her into a neurologist today since the hospital did not find a cause for the seizures.

    I'm not sure what to do going forward, there is more work to be done next door, and we have the business card for the contractor.

    Should we be contacting a personal injury attorney? Do we need to contact the city safety/building inspector about the workplace incident? What should we be doing?

    Edit: I'm located in the Minnesota, USA

    submitted by /u/Captain_Worf
    [link] [comments]

    Dealership "stole" back my vehicle

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:39 AM PDT

    I'm a first time car buyer and completely unsure about how to deal with this situation.

    Purchased a used jeep from a dealer back in January. Had it repossessed months later due to financing not being approved. I inquired the manager about locating the jeep so I can retrieve my personal belongings and he claimed to not know where it was. Also inquired about finding new financing or what my options were. None of my questions were answered. Called them and left messages and emails that haven't been returned. I just want my personal stuff and my down payment and payments I made to them returned.

    More info: the jeep is back for sale on the same lot. Odometer is set back to the mileage from when I first attempted to purchase it.

    Located in Northern Virginia

    submitted by /u/lurksnomore7
    [link] [comments]

    Tiananmen Square FOIA request denied

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    My great uncle was an American journalist in China during the Tiananmen Square incident. He told our family how the US state department came to his hotel, took him back to the US and confiscated all the videos and photos he had taken. He managed to keep a few hidden which ended up making it into the public eye but told us there were dozens of other videos and photos. After he passed away we've been trying to track those down. Today marks the 3rd year in our search. We've filed FOIA requests but the response has been that it does not exist. Is there anything else that can be done?

    submitted by /u/746865646f6374
    [link] [comments]

    I loaned my mom $2k and she refuses to pay me back.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:31 PM PDT

    About 2(?) years ago, my mom wanted to take a family trip to California to visit our family there. My brothers and I did not want to go, but she forced us to go with her and kept saying we were disobedient children for not wanting to go with.

    She tried to use her credit card to pay, but as her credit score is poor, she could not go over a $500 limit. So, she proceeded to make me let her use my debit card to pay for the trip, saying she would pay me back at a later date.

    After the trip, I kept pestering her to give me the money, but she kept refusing and saying that she would pay me back at a later date.

    Over this summer, I am currently taking 3 summer classes, totaling up to an amount of around $6000. Problem is, I only have $5900 in my account.

    I then asked her if I could have the money back as I needed it urgently to pay for my tuition, but she blew up at me and said I was ungrateful and disrespectful, and that I had no trust in her. Due to her reaction, I let it go.

    Last week, she took another trip to Cali (alone this time as her mother was ill.) Because of this, I could not keep asking her for my money. She got back two nights ago, but still refuses to reimburse me.

    My bill is due on the 9th, and I don't know how I can convince her to give me my money back. My brother has access to her bank accounts (he is in charge of paying the bills) and he told me she has more than $2k in there. Would I be able to have him write a check for me or wire me the money somehow? Or is there something else I can do?

    submitted by /u/conflictedscholar
    [link] [comments]

    How long can police keep your property as evidence?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 04:43 PM PDT

    I live in AZ and a little over 2 years ago I was arrested and some of my property was ceased. Laptops, Ipads, Phone, financial records.

    I was never charged and haven't heard from the court about my case since.

    I did call the police department that has my property, but they said they still need it for review, and recently just stopped taking my calls altogether.

    How much long should I expect to wait for my property?

    submitted by /u/CoffeeCatThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do about a guy illegally dumping on my property when the police won't pursue it?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 07:53 AM PDT

    I have HD footage of a guy illegally dumping on my property. I have license plates, a clear shot of his face, and the vehicle he used. I went to the police to file a complaint against the guy, but the officer gave me excuse after excuse and never even bothered with the footage. I gave him the license plate #'s and he came back with some stuff about how it's a stored vehicle and that there's nothing on record about this truck.

    I did a quick search and found the plates match the year, make, and model of the truck used to dump trash on my property.

    What should I do now?

    submitted by /u/CreepyCrab2
    [link] [comments]

    My apartment has not had AC in 5 days. It is over 90 degrees and my pets are suffering.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am located in NC. My roommate and I have been renting our apartment for a year and just signed a lease for another year. We own two cats.

    When we first moved in last August, our AC was out for two weeks. We regularly attempted to contact the office and maintenance and finally it was fixed.

    5 days ago I noticed that the AC was not working. It was 80 degrees. We called emergency maintenance and they gave us a portable unit and said they'd come back.

    They fixed it the next day. By 2:30pm our apartment was back at 70 degrees. By 7:30pm it had broken again and was getting hotter. We called it in again, they fixed it the next day, it seemed fine.

    That night it stopped working in the evening. By the morning it was 89 degrees in our apartment and was not safe for our cats. We no longer had the portable unit as they took it away. We have nowhere else to put our cats and both of us had to work and were very concerned.

    I called emergency maintenance at 6pm that night. He worked on it for 2 hours, said it was an electrical issue and left. It did not go below 88 degrees in our apartment that night. No portable unit was given to us.

    They finally came back around 4pm yesterday— apparently just to say they were trying to contact the installer...? Anyway, no AC. No portable unit. In the high 70s and low 80s all day and night.

    Today they said they hadn't been able to get in touch with the installer yet. It is over 80 degrees in my apartment again. They finally gave us a portable unit again but this does not cool off the entire apartment.

    My cat is a senior and now has a vet appointment scheduled this weekend because I am concerned about his prolonged exposure to heat. We are giving them extra water and trying to keep them close to the portable unit but it is not safe to keep cats in an almost 90 degree apartment!!!

    Do we have any legal standing here? I at the very least want my cat's vet appointment covered by them. It is disgustingly hot on here, we cannot he comfortable in our own home, and our electric bill will probably be sky high because the unit is working harder and they've been messing with our breaker a ton.

    TLDR: AC has been in and out (mostly out) for five days, temps in the high 80s, two cats in apartment we are concerned about, wondering if we have legal recourse.

    submitted by /u/catmos
    [link] [comments]

    [Missouri] This Has Been A Living Nightmare I Just Want To See My Daughter!

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    Back in December a SWAT team kicked in my door. It's just me, my 2-year old daughter and my then girlfriend at home.

    They say they're looking for evidence of drug manufacturing and distribution. They find nothing (because that never happened) except for a single xanax in my GF's bra.

    I'm arrested for possession and booked and released. I get home, hug my GF and tell her everything is fine, it's been a giant mistake. She agrees.

    The next morning her mother (who is obscenely rich and hates me) sends 3 thugs to my house to throw me out and threaten to kill me.

    This is December by the way. It's cold.

    The next day I return to find my belongings are all destroyed. Macbook, clothes, everything I had.

    I move towards my daughter to hug her. My GF's mom says she'll blow my head off if I move closer. That I'm never seeing her again and she'll bury me in court.

    I look at my GF, she says it's out of her hands and that was the last I'd talk to them. A few days later my ex files an ex-parte restraining order saying that she's "afraid of what I might do".

    Now I've never hurt or threatened her. Ever. We were together for 7-years. A day before the hearing her mom asks me to meet her so we can talk. I agree.

    She never shows. But when I leave I'm followed by two trucks. I pull over to ask what they want, they block me in and start screaming that I ran someone off of the road, I'm drunk, etc.

    They called the police who luckily believed me and let me go.

    So I now realize that her mother is not only rich, but willing to play dirty and capable of trying to have me framed for crimes and sent to prison.

    So I missed the hearing and the order was awarded.

    I was with my daughter every day. She was my whole world. And I planned on being with her mother for the rest of my life. This has absolutely destroyed me as a person.

    I desperately need some advice.

    Financially I'm stable but things have been rough. If I thought $1,500 for a lawyer gave me a fighting chance I'd do it. But I really don't think it would (could be wrong).

    Here's what I want to happen:

    I want the protection order dropped or thrown out. It never should have been granted and only serves to keep me from seeing my daughter

    I want visitation rights. My daughter is being kept from me, my parents and an entire family who loves her and who she loves.

    There's more to the story, but those are the main details.

    If you have any questions please ask and thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/NeedLegalHelp2020
    [link] [comments]

    Taxes on a lake house without a lake?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    Michigan

    So my family has a "lake" house on what used to be Wixom Lake. Recently a massive dam failure drained the lake, and it'll be years before its restored, if ever.

    Is there a mechanism to reduce the tax assessment on the property based on the missing lake? I've heard of ~10 properties near the cabin that have been sold for ~30% of their previous value since the lake drained.

    Since we have to assume our property is worth far less than it was last month, it makes sense that we shouldn't be paying taxes on its previous assessment.

    submitted by /u/RivMan81
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord shut utilities off

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 07:55 PM PDT

    One month behind landlord shut off utilities

    I rent a one bedroom in ct, I'm one month behind in rent I have never been late in two years and always communicate with my landlord. The other day I was out running errands and had two missed phone calls, this was June 1, I didn't pay the month of May either or June but my landlord knows I'm waiting on my 401k (being laid off) I came home to find my lights and water and heat shut off and the basement door locked that goes to the power box, I immediately texted my landlord asking if he did this to call me back and he wouldn't respond. After two hours I called the local police department and filed a report. I assume they must have called my landlord because he shortly called me back he denied shutting me off and said there must be a problem with something in the basement but couldn't come out right away, it's been two days, I've lost all my food I can't shower or charge my phone. I have no money to offer him yet let alone to eat. I have yet to heard back from the police as my landlord has denied doing this. It's 100% him as my downstairs neighbors have no problems. And just based on the conversation and the way he was acting. I think he's mad because he can't start the eviction due to covid19. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Separate_Common
    [link] [comments]

    I'm not sure if this qualifies, but a company sold my debt twice so its showing up on my credit score twice.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:39 PM PDT

    I'm in California to clarify. In 2015, I got my front teeth fixed at Western Dental. It cost around $5000-$6000. I just noticed today that they apparently sold it to HP SEARS who are claiming I owe $6478 and to Allied Collection Services who are saying I owe $5790. Both are showing on my credit score and its saying I have $11,000 of debt. This can't be legal! I am not even sure where to begin?

    submitted by /u/WTFuckOff
    [link] [comments]

    In a 2-party consent state (PA), can an exception be made if the recordings show proof of emotional/mental/verbal abuse?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    Two people (I'll call them Mary and Joe) want to separate. Joe has been extremely manipulative. He pressured her to quit her job and just be a housewife so that he would have control over all the money. He sold her car that she owned, and bought her a new one but put it in his name. He took over any bills she had and put them under his name. He verbally degrades/bullies/shames/belittles/etc her on a daily basis. He does not allow her to have her own opinions, thoughts, or feelings - even going so far as to tell her she is wrong for mourning over the death of her ex, whom she had a child with. He has taken away pretty much everything she has and put it under his name so she would be forced to rely on him and be less likely to leave him, as "she'd be nothing and have nothing without him". If a divorce were to happen, would she be able to get anything if there were audio recordings taken by a third person (neither Joe nor Mary knew they were being recorded) that showed the severity of his aggression and manipulation, even though everything is in his name? Could the recordings be used in court? There is no physical abuse, although there's everything else but. I am sure if things continue, they will surely escalate to physical abuse, and I'm ever so slightly worried he'll snap one day and maybe even go so far as to murder her.

    I don't know. I'm worried.

    submitted by /u/cooperjak
    [link] [comments]

    Tow company refuses to tow other car out of my spot

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:45 PM PDT

    My car got towed a while ago, and I had an argument with the tow truck company owner. Now whenever a car takes my spot, they refuse to tow them. Legally I can only use this company to tow from my apartment complex, what should I do? (US, NJ)

    submitted by /u/darkfighter101
    [link] [comments]

    There is a horse down the road from me that has no food and water and we are not allowed to trespass. Is there anything I can do?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    (New York)

    My aunt has recently tried to help the horse. She went down during the winter time to give it food and water. She got the SPCA involved, the police, and even offered her $3,000 for the horse. However, nothing could be done about it. She refuses to give it up, even though she doesnt live there. She has set up multiple cameras around the area to catch any trespassers.

    I am 15 years old and I am wondering if I could cover myself completely, (with a mask and gloves as well), and bring it a bucket of water. I'm not sure about the food situation, I dont want to overfeed it and have it die. However I'm sure I could get some hay from my aunt at some point.

    submitted by /u/Meep11744
    [link] [comments]

    Small protest question.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    Im in Nebraska. Hey, y'all. I live in a small ass conservative town. The protests havent reached me at all. There was a small George Floyd gathering that took place in a town over an hour away from me. Thats how podunc I am. I have an idea to make a statement tho. I want to cover my house in BLM posters (I live by myself.) The police chief of my town, which just so happens to be my uncle, has already warned me about the possibility of being arrested for doing this. Is there any actual risk of ramifications for doing this? Like, could he possibly twist the police report in a way to have me serve jail time, or are these just empty threats?

    Btw, my uncle said these things to me before I even made a plan for all of this. He knows my ideals and he just assumed I was going to protest.

    submitted by /u/Mikey_Universe
    [link] [comments]

    Someone signed up with Experian under my email, name and address

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 04:18 PM PDT

    |California| I got an email this morning while I was asleep saying "thanks for signing up with experian" I had to call and "retrieve" my account because obviously it wasn't me. Not entirely sure why they'd use an email with my actual name in it instead of a burner email... Once logged in, my address was accurate but the phone number was not. Apparently you only need the last 4 digits of someone's social security number to sign up with Experian. I know that its easier to find the last 4 digits of someones social online but I honestly couldn't tell you if they have my whole social or not. I changed the security question, along with the pin. I called and couldn't get a hold of a live person. They don't have an email address that I could find. I checked my credit report and bank statements. Nothing fishy yet. However, my ID was stolen a couple years ago and recently got a call from a police station about an hour away saying a car was rented under my name. They had my drivers license number and everything. Not sure what I should do at the moment. Not sure if I should start freezing things. What should my next steps be?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/mischievousmismagius
    [link] [comments]

    Mom has been keeping track of how much money she has spent on me - am I legally required to pay her back?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    Since the age of 18 my mom has been keeping track of how much money she has spent on me. From eating out, basic life necessities when I didn't have a job to university costs and everything in between. I'm currently 25 living in ontario. My dad and her are legally separated (when I was 19) but have not officially divorced. I do not talk to my dad. He gave me 10 000 for university but verbally said he didn't expect to see the money back. I did not know of my moms "tab" at first but I found out a couple years ago. I've struggled with university and keeping a solid job. Got diagnosed and medicated for adhd and things have been a lot better. She has saved me from eviction so has put a decent amount of money into keeping me off the streets and fed etc. She has not been fully open with how much this "tab" is at. Pretty sure it's in the 50 000+ range. I have not finished university and will probably not be making a lot of money throughout my lifetime. I finally have some savings for the first time in my life. However, I will probably never be able to own a home. I have never signed any contract or official document saying that I agree to pay back this money. I don't mean to be unappreciative of the things she has done for me but in reality it will take me many many years to even start paying off this debt. She knows I have started saving money and is getting more and more pissed that I'm not giving her money. Does she have any legal standing to get this money back? She's getting older as well. Upon her death do my siblings have any grounds to get this money from me? If there is money from her death could they just take that money owed from my portion?

    submitted by /u/piratefker
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Being sued for car accident (LA County)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    I just received a summons that I am being sued for a car accident from March 2019. I was involved in a car accident that I was deemed responsible for. At the time, my policy's liability coverage was $10000 and the damage was $15667.51. The other party's insurance initially wanted me to pay the difference but I talked them down to $1,000. The damage is to the vehicle, not injury to the person.

    Due to life happening I was unable to pay them in the 30 days they wanted. This summons states that they are now suing me for $15667.51. I am a poor college student and obviously can't afford to pay this and have some questions regarding this situation. I have never been in a situation like this and am confused on what to do.

    1. Can they sue me for this much? I thought my insurance paid $10000.
    2. What steps do I take now? It says I need to respond within 30 days. How should I respond, or do I contact a lawyer to respond?
    3. What is the worst case scenario in terms of how will I have to pay this? How will this affect my credit history?
    submitted by /u/EyeOfTheSnowLeopard
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal to record a neighbor in your own apartment? (US, CA)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 10:27 PM PDT

    I'm not the landlord. I'm a tenant. I'm not trying to record them for extended periods of time. No security camera or any of that. Recordings like on my phone. I have recently formed a rocky relationship with one of my neighbors and things are pretty tense right now. I'm afraid he may attempt to do something to harm me or threaten me which is why I may want to record him for evidence in the circumstances I see him. Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/msprules
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment