• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 3, 2019

    Legal Advice - Worcester (MA). Renter died before I could move into the room. Can I still move in?

    Legal Advice - Worcester (MA). Renter died before I could move into the room. Can I still move in?


    Worcester (MA). Renter died before I could move into the room. Can I still move in?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 06:44 AM PST

    I decided to rent a room from someone I met on Craiglist. We met at the house the first time and again a few days later where I gave him 3 months rent ($1575)

    He gave me the keys and signed a receipt for 3 months.

    On the move in day I learned he had died earlier that day and the door had a new temporary lock put on that my keys could not open.

    Later I found out he was not the person on the lease and had no right to rent the room to me. I think his ex wife was the lease holder.

    I already filed a police report. Police confirmed he died. This happened 3 days ago and I fear the nightmare is just beginning.

    Do I have any right to try to move into the room still? I really needed that room. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/tannerge
    [link] [comments]

    My book publisher just sent me my quarterly royalty check for $200. I'm owed over $5k in unpaid royalties that large companies like Amazon (which have NET 60 to NET 120 days) haven't paid, some transactions date back to 2018. Publisher won't pressure the companies, anything I can do?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 05:21 PM PST

    My last three royalty checks for my books' sales have been under $300, and the amount of unpaid royalties my publisher has not collected from Amazon, Baker Taylor, and other large distributors is continuing to grow. With my current financial situation, that $5k is a huge amount for me to not have received and I'm growing increasingly frustrated.

    I've had this conversation with my publisher multiple times but I get the same answer each time: "Yeah, Amazon and some of the big companies can take a bit longer sometimes, nothing we can do about it". I get that they don't want to cause any damage to their relationship with their distributors over one author's royalties. But it's ridiculous to me that they can tell me book distributors have NET 60 to NET 120 days from the transaction date to pay, and then do literally nothing when a distributor like Amazon hasn't paid for books they purchased in December of 2018.

    So Amazon can buy several hundred copies of my book, my publisher can run out of copies to sell to other distributors who actually pay on time, and then I have to pay for future print runs by putting myself in debt because Amazon never sent the money for the books they've already sold to the public.

    Am I crazy? Is this just something all writers deal with, or is there something I can do to pursue those unpaid royalties?

    EDIT: It would seem that my publisher is what's known as a "service publisher", and that the way I've been working with them the past few years is anything but standard for the industry. I can't say I'm blameless, as I was contacted by them while in college, crowdfunding my first book and planning to self-publish. I jumped at a chance to sign with a "real" publisher and did so without consulting anyone with experience in the industry. I've published multiple books with them and now am not sure where to go from here. Oof.

    submitted by /u/Efficient-Grapefruit
    [link] [comments]

    Cousins ex bf is suing me because I reacted violently to a horrible prank he pulled

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 07:54 PM PST

    I am from Oregon. One of my cousins (now ex) bf of a year, who is trying to become a famous YouTube prankster pulled a prank on me where he pretended to abuse my little cousin.

    When I came home I heard yelling and the sounds of hitting and crying coming from my cousins room. When I ran up the stairs her bf came out and I asked what the hell was going on. In his words, "that b*tch cheated on me, so she got what she deserved" as I could still hear crying from that room and he was blocking the door from letting me in. I immediately blacked out(my dad used to physically abuse my mom in front of me, he knows this) and punched and kicked and next thing I knew he was on the floor screaming it was just a prank. I went into the room and he had a recording of a girl screaming but no one there. My cousin wasn't even in on the prank, she didn't know it was happening.

    I checked if he was ok and his nose was bleeding, and his braces had cut really badly into his lips. I drove him to the ER because he was claiming he couldn't breathe out of his nose. He ended up with a fractured nose, and got stitches in his lip. The ER bill came out to almost $2k and he's telling me I need to pay it. I refused.

    My cousin has since broken up with him.

    He's now suing me for assaulting and for the hospital bill.

    I still have the phone he was using to record the video but no way to access it because neither I or my cousin knows the passcode.

    What can I do? Is there a way for the court to demand he unlock his phone? Is it just his word against mine? I have no other proof besides his channel where he's pulled pranks but not to the extent of this.

    submitted by /u/whyyustealiiiiing
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] Squatters on the property next to mine are parking boats, cars, and 18 wheelers on my property. When the towing company shows up they always have someone there to run out and claim they own it and the tow compant is SOL

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 04:11 PM PST

    Apparently if the owner is at the vehicle the tow company cant do anything unless its hooked up enough to safely tow away.

    I know for a fact they do not own some of the vehicles because they rent them out truck drivers.

    What are my options?

    submitted by /u/elDongler
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Friend in college had ALL of her school stuff (laptop, backpack, wallet, homework, etc) stolen, along with the rest of the class, after the professor forced all students to leave their belongings outside and then failed to watch them. Does she have any recourse with the school or professor?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 04:16 PM PST

    Title is basically the whole story. The professor required everyone to leave everything outside the classroom for a project, and everyone's belongings were stolen. Obviously financial compensation is desired, but there are also concerns with her other classes and the schoolwork that was stolen due to this professors rules. What can she do?

    submitted by /u/DuckyFreeman
    [link] [comments]

    Towing company have placed an authorization for sale on my lien and then are charging me for current storage fees. I was never towed and I have possession of the car.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 11:29 AM PST

    I received a bill from a towing company stating that I owed 2500 dollars for storage fees since 10/2/19. It had all my cars information including VIN and license plate number. The letter also stated that I had 14 days to declare an opposition on the sale from 11/18/2019. I called the towing company and asked why I was getting a bill for storage fees if I had possession of the car and I was never towed. She then told me to then ignore the letter.

    Since there was a 14 day deadline I obviously did not ignore it so I went to the DMV. They inspected my car and removed the authorization that was placed. From that day on I thought it was over. I then received a call from my car loan bank, saying if I was aware of the authorization and if I had the vehicle. They thought it was strange as I was making the payments on it still. They said I had nothing left to do and that everything is in order BUT they told me that the towing company is still stating they have the car.

    I called the towing company and they put me on hold about 4 times and then just claimed that their system went down and to call back later.

    What should I do? Should I show up and request to pay for my "towed" car and when they have nothing to show for it should I threaten to sue? I am not sure if it's a scam or just incompetence but I don't want this to go by like nothing happened.

    Location - California [CA]

    Update: I will go to the tow place hopefully sometime this week. I will not take the ghost car as advised by many. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Tabasco661
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a Stripped Ar-15 Lower reciever online had it shipped to my local FFL so I could go and fill out all the paperwork to have it transferred into my name, and gun store lost the gun and is telling me tough shit sorry nothing they can do. NEED HELP PLZ

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 06:30 AM PST

    Bought a Stripped Ar-15 Lower reciever online had it shipped to my local FFL so I could go and fill out all the paperwork to have it transferred into my name, which is how buying any serialized Firearm online works, well the guy who sold me the firearm told me that the store had just gotten the gun into their store because he saw it was transferred to them through their FFL, so I went down to the store to pick it and have it transferred from them to me, well they say the firearm isn't their and they have no idea where it is, I call the seller back and he tells me and confirms me once again that it did transfer to them and they had it at one point whether they do now or not they did the other day at X,Y,Z date and time because it all shows in his system which he proved to me and showed me. local FFL shop tells me they got it but cant find it and it must have gotten lost. WTF they are now telling me I have to take it up with the seller, which is wrong... if they take possession of the gun and transfer it through their FFL it's their responsibility now, but they are telling me basically tough shit sorry.

    Now this has me thinking that someone at the FFL is trying to steal my gun or cover up that someone else has stolen it which is not ok as I'm not gonna take the financial loss of and most importantly I'm not gonna take the legal responsibility of having a gun I bought be missing, even tho it was never transferred to my name.

    What should i do? am I an any legal risky situation? I dont think I am because the gun was never transferred into my name... I think im gonna call the ATF. what do yall think?

    Edit: plz nobody do anything about this themselves plz let me handle this, plz don't try and help and call my local offices for me as you dont have any of the information needed and it would only make things worse. I will be calling and handling this matter myself once I get the information I need from this thread and a friend who deals with these types of things, then I will handle it.

    I thought this would be obvious and wouldnt need to be said but a redditor has messaged me informing me they will quote "take care of it for me just send them the city I live in and my name so they can call for me" plz dont attempt to do that like i said u have none of the required information needed and you would only make my situation worse.

    submitted by /u/Fireeagle224
    [link] [comments]

    Won my unemployment denial appeal in NY. Worried my employer will appeal.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 05:07 AM PST

    So I won my unemployment denial case before the ALJ in NYS. I didn't have a lawyer and neither did my employer. He was seriously unprepared and the judge narrowed the reason for termination, saying I had acted on poor judgment but not to the degree of misconduct.

    My employer was rattling off random reasons I was a bad employee and the judge was only interested in them firing me for refusing to a phone call, unrecorded, about accommodations and an argument w/a coworker. The judge asked why I didn't just record them covertly and I told her I was trying to be fair and give them warning. They didn't warn me I'd be fired for refusing. They have a blanket "no recording" policy which I told the judge made me nervous to record w/o permission, but I DID want any discussion regarding accommodations properly recorded. They wanted the conversation off the record.

    So I won and I'm owed $3500 from the state. I have been keeping up on my records and applying for jobs (hard because I work in a niche field). I REALLY just want another job because this is insanely stressful. The judge was great and when I got frustrated she'd kind of nudge me to shut my mouth; I think she didn't appreciate how unprepared my employer was.

    The judge did rule in my favor but now I'm worried my employer will appeal to the next level and I'll have to repay what I'm given. Do they frequently appeal again? What do the odds become as it moves up the chain? How do I repay the money if they decide against me?

    I've been nothing but anxious since they fired me a month and a half ago and I want this to be over. Plus I'm bored shitless without a job.

    submitted by /u/wickawickawacha
    [link] [comments]

    A Jeweler broke my heirloom engagement diamond.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 02:06 PM PST

    This is in New Bern, North Carolina USA

    I've never wanted a real diamond. I was pretty set on a lab grown diamond and would be happy with the price and look. However when I approached my family they pulled out a small collection of family diamonds from my grandparents rings. I settled on a diamond from my grandfather's ring that was .67 carat and valued at $1200. Suddenly a diamond had a lot of meaning to me.

    I found a local well reviewed jewelery store in my area and took in my diamond. Picked out a setting and agreed to the price to set the stone which was $400ish. They told me it would be two weeks so I took a confirmation ticket and left.

    Three weeks passed and I heard nothing. Called in to talk to a young man who couldn't find my information for a while and then finally said the setting would be shipped next week. I could tell something wasn't right after this call. Two weeks pass and I call again. The woman tells me the setting will be in tomorrow so I agree and wait another day. She calls me the next day and tells me my ring is ready so I head in.

    The second I step in the woman approaches me and shows me the completed ring. It looks wonderful and I'm very excited, until she tells me there is a problem. She explained that went the jeweler was setting the stone the diamond fractured. She quickly told me that my diamond was .67 carat and valued at $1200 but that they replaced it with a .75 carat diamond that was worth $1500. I asked about my original diamond and was told I would need to pay $400 to get that back but they would only charge me the setting fee for the new ring which is also $400.

    The diamond they are showing me is worthless to me. I don't care about it at all and it has killed my motivation and excitement to propose. I feel like I'm being cheated and they destroyed something important to me and my family and now want to charge my for it. I'm crushed and not sure what to do. As of now I've left the jeweler with everything saying I would talk to my family before coming back. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

    Update: I went into the store and asked for My broken diamond and $1200 since that is what they valued it at. She said she couldn't do that and offered me the broken diamond and $400.

    submitted by /u/bahnrazzer
    [link] [comments]

    My workplace is giving me lots of problems for being wheelchair bound. Is there anything, besides filing a formal complaint with human resources, that I can do?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 03:44 PM PST

    So a little over a month ago I broke my leg and got put into a wheelchair. I've had a string of minor problems with my job ever since it happened.

    I work at a call center in Tennessee and since we deal with people's personal information every door has a scanner for your badge. If you dont have clearance for that area you cant open the door.

    So I work in a separate building from the one that has the cafeteria and the walkway from my building to the other only has single door doorways. Which my chair can't fit through as it's stupidly wide (it's my grandmother's and since shes not using it, it saved me from having to buy my own) I've tried multiple times to go through these doors and I get stuck every single time. Instead of causing a jam I wheel around the building and go to the cafeteria through the front office. This means I have two sets of doors to badge through to get to the cafeteria. And both of them require a managers badge to get into. The call floor that I have to roll through isnt one that handles information that's anymore highstakes than the kind that we handle in the other building. Plus there isnt a door between the cafeteria area and that call floor at all so I went in there before I broke my leg to use the bathroom on many occasions.

    Usually I roll in the front doors and ask the secretary to badge me through the sets, and on the way back I stop and politely ask a manager by the door to let me out. And for the first 3 1/2 weeks nothing was said to me about this system not working or causing issues. And the first link to break was the secretary who's always been unpleasant but never terribly rude. She would repeatedly make snide remarks about how she was certain that I should fit through the single doorways and that I shouldn't have to have someone to push me around because I could do it myself.

    I've already filed a complaint about her behavior and shes basically stopped talking with me, which is a great improvement, but today I had a different problem and I'm unsure of if I should or even can say anything about this.

    Today as I was coming back from lunch I stopped to ask one of the closer managers to badge me through and was told that they wouldnt do it. They stated that I should have my direct manager badge me in and out of these doors everyday and that it's not in there job description to help me. They further that they have apparently spoken with up front about making it so that I can badge myself in and out but that this was declined as my disability is only temporary.

    When I stated that I had not been informed of this change and asked if they would badge me through this last time so I could go and find my manager and sort this issue out. They again told me no and stated that I should go get my manager myself (hah) or I could call his extension to get him to come and badge me out. Luckily one of my coworkers was kind enough to go and get him.

    However when he got there he informed me that his badge didnt work on those doors since we dont work in that particular building, and he had also not been informed of this particular arrangement.

    Does this even violate any of the Americans with disabilities act?

    submitted by /u/Fiddlesworrh
    [link] [comments]

    Custodial parent recording/listening to phone conversations between non custodial parent and 14 year old without consent. Washington State (ICWA)

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 01:33 PM PST

    My 14yo daughter lives with her dad. She has since we broke up when she was 2. He was awarded physical custody due to the requirements of The Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA), as he is an enrolled Native American and I am not. There are no restrictions on my interactions with her.

    My daughter has told me many things that concern me about her father's behavior over the course of the past few years. She is frequently berated and called names. Often with references to being terrible (specifically, a bitch/liar) just like her mom(me). She's still being spanked for minor indiscretions (something I have always been wholeheartedly against), as well as having her things, social life, and relationships with myself, husband, and her siblings restricted or completely taken away on a regular basis.

    My daughter informed me last night that her father has been recording/listening to our phone calls, and because of the last conversation her and I had, she is not allowed to speak to me unsupervised.

    She was able to call me unsupervised last night, because her father briefly left and her step mother's mom who lives with them had her call me and tell me what's happening and why she hadn't been allowed to take my calls in the past 2 weeks. (This woman is an oasis for my daughter in that house. I appreciate her dearly for doing what she can to shield my kid as much as possible.)

    As I said before, I have no restrictions set by the court on my interactions with her. Her father is listed as physical custodian, but we have equal access to communication and decision making privileges.

    I am aware that Washington is a two party consent state. Neither my daughter or I knew we were being recorded/listened to. I'm also aware that minors cannot legally consent to many things but a parent can for them.

    So, my question is, is he considered a party to the conversation, thus being allowed to legally record/listen to our calls via parental consent?

    And just to clarify, the talk between the two of us that he is objecting to involved her being very upset with him about removing her from the basketball team because she "back sassed" him and I acknowledged that it sucked and wasn't fair, then proceeded to console her. He felt I should have yelled at her too.

    submitted by /u/foldedfrogs
    [link] [comments]

    My old boss lied on my background check. What now?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 05:13 PM PST

    Some background: I moved across the country last year to take care of my uncle with cancer. He's practically my father, and a truly wonderful man. Imagine a John Candy/Bill Murray mashup with an insatiable love for chili dogs and Tommy Bahama shirts. Anyway, I'm a copywriter, so during that time I mostly freelanced but took a full-time job when things for my uncle started to look up.

    The last position I had was at a local PR firm for restaurant and hospitality clients. It seemed fun, but a couple months after starting it was clear that the owner was having trouble maintaining the business. Paychecks were missing or late, the clients were ending contracts, and employee turnover was exceptionally frequent. At the same time, my uncle's health took a turn and I eventually decided that I needed to be with him full-time. I gave the requisite 2-weeks notice and helped make a plan for the transition.

    My uncle passed on September 12. Since then, I've been doing what I can to regain a sense of normalcy, including resuming my career. I worked with a fantastic recruiter who helped me find a new position with incredible pay and a huge jump in title. Suffice to say I'm thrilled, and it almost makes up for all the shitty parts of last year.

    Fast forward to today, when I found out that there's been some problems with my background check. My former employer is now claiming that I left without notice, and had received multiple written warnings during my two months there. I explained to HR that this was absolutely false, that I had given notice and left to be my uncle's primary caretaker. I even forwarded her an email from my ex-boss on my last day saying:

    "We have very much enjoyed working with you, and wish you truly nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

    Don't ever hesitate to reach out if you ever want to do some freelance copywriting 😊 We would love to keep that in mind."

    So what now? I haven't heard back from HR and I'm terrified they'll rescind the offer. Can I pursue legal action if necessary?

    submitted by /u/msjenjack
    [link] [comments]

    Possible bigamy

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 03:05 PM PST

    Hi guys!

    Throwaway account.

    A bit of back story. I'm from Costa Rica and got married to a US citizen almost 4 years ago. We got married in Costa Rica and he never filed for my documents. Our marriage was (is) very rocky. We were on and off for some time. We lived in the states for a few months, then Costa Rica then back in the states. For some time, living apart due to finances and school.

    He never put me on his taxes and never submitted any documents regarding our marriage to any agency or place in the states. So when we were apart, he cheated on me with someone. It was supposedly over and just 2 weeks ago I came back to my country and we were still together up until that day.

    Now he's posting on social media that he's engaged to that same woman he had previously cheated on me with.

    We have a child together. His go to is that he's technically not married in the US. I have proof of the marriage, including pictures of us signing the documents together with the rings and everything.

    If he actually gets married, is it still bigamy even if the marriage took place in another country? He lives/we lived in Harris county (Houston TX).

    Can anything be done? If so, what exactly would I need to start a case?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/ineedlegaladvice25
    [link] [comments]

    NYC. My shower is leaking through my downstairs neighbor’s light fixture, landlord is being noncommittal.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 07:52 PM PST

    I am afraid for my safety and have not gotten any commitment from the landlord. Can I hire a plumber and take the cost out of my rent? What are my options?

    submitted by /u/Johnrs651
    [link] [comments]

    I received someone else's parking ticket on my car, I have no idea what to do. (NJ)

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 05:18 PM PST

    I know I should have got a ticket for parking 20 minutes over the time allowed. (Street cleaner)

    When I went to pay my $55 ticket today, I noticed that none of the information has to do with my vehicle. License plate number, make of car, ETC.

    Did he write the wrong stuff and put it on my car? or was this intended for someone else?

    I have no idea where to begin with this, anything helps!

    submitted by /u/Fruitmasterflex
    [link] [comments]

    Class Action: Zantac

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 06:33 AM PST

    I'm an Oregon/USA resident, and my Facebook feed is full of "Sponsored" ads by legal firms frantically seeking clients to participate in lawsuits that I presume are class actions, representing clients who have suffered "damages" as a result of taking Zantac and suffering various cancers now associated with taking the over-the-counter remedy for heartburn & too much stomach acid.

    i had actually been taking Zantac for over 10 years, before being diagnosed with bladder cancer requiring 2 separate major surgeries. The surgeries were both successful in removing the cancer, but they took a considerable toll on my overall health, my lifestyle and my pocketbook. Accordingly, I am very interested in signing-on with a class action lawsuit to recover commensurate damages.

    However, before doing so, I'd like to know more about how class action suits work before signing-up with one of these law firms. What should I look for in a law firm? And what should I look out for? How can I find out more about a particular firm before signing up with them?

    How do class action lawsuits even get started? Who decides which law firm gets to represent the universe of qualified clients? It doesn't make sense that every ambulance chaser in the phone book can represent as many clients that they can convince to sign-up with them willy-nilly, 10 here and 25 there, etc.

    Any advice would be super appreciated.

    submitted by /u/FleeingGilead
    [link] [comments]

    Father of my 3 year old threatening to call the police if I do not let my daughter go with him on Thursday: Colorado

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 07:22 PM PST

    My ex husband and I have a daughter together. There is a parenting plan set that I won't get too detailed on, but the relevant points for my issue are as follows:

    Daughter will be picked up by her father on Thursday nights and we alternate between Sunday overnights. This gives us each equal custody (which I am in the process of changing - I handle all insurance, doctors appointments, childcare, etc, and he has been making very poor decisions that make me question his parental abilities).

    The plan states days can be changed with at least 48 hours notice.

    A few nights ago, his girlfriend put her hands on me, in front of my daughter. The police were called but I did not press charges.

    Ex husband works Fridays (but they are his days according to the parenting plan). His girlfriend watches our daughter while he works. I informed him that after this incident, our daughter will be remaining in my care on Fridays from now on until he is off work, as I do not want his girlfriend caring for my daughter unattended.

    He is threatening to call the police if I do not relinquish our daughter to them on Thursday night.

    My only questions: Will I be arrested for not allowing her to go with him? Will I be forced to send her with them?

    As stated above, I am in the process of procuring a lawyer for full custody. If I had it my way my daughter would not go with him at all at this point, but I'm afraid of being arrested for violating the parenting plan.

    submitted by /u/mtrlkr
    [link] [comments]

    £11 million inheritance being changed slowly over 4 occasions to have have a *very* distant family member who happens to be a solicitor/lawyer take 95% of it

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 05:02 AM PST

    DISCLAIMER, I live in the uk and am not educated on this subject and have only heard of this through other family members (e.i. Dad, grandmother etc) who are also not truly educated on this subject and this happed over a year ago.

    From my understanding this is what I think is how the situation unfolded. My great aunt/uncle and two direct relatives of them who I don't know and never met were said to have a combined worth of around £11 million, I don't know if this is the exact amount but I know it is an extremely large amount of money. Sadly the two direct relatives and my great uncle died leaving all of what they owned to my great aunt Vira how is the only one I ever met out of the 4 of them.

    When it was said that she was dying many distant relatives came out of the wood work who I didn't know, and they had have never even batted an eye at my great aunts existence. But my grandmother used to be very close to Vira and in the original will my grandmother would of got around 50% of the inheritance and my grandmother would of split it between my dad Two aunts and all of her grand children which there is 7 of and that would of been a life changing amount of money for my family.

    A soon as the news broke of Viras health problems and her time was limited, this extremely distant relative who had basically no connection tho the family started to work his way into my great aunts life. He would take care of her and help do menial chores around the house and because of my aunts declining health she didn't realise that he was doing it to get into the will and after a while he convinced her to sign a new will where he was included. My entire family knew why he was doing it but didn't do anything about it because she lived so far away and no one else could get up there regularly to help her out so we let it go on.

    On the days we did visit he would try to avoid us at all cost like he would hide upstairs until we were all in the living room the bolt out of the front door. Bit over time he changed the will again and again until the 4th time where he was entitled to like 95% of it or Somthing obsurd like that and I don't know if no one realises or no one was notified but after she eventually passed I found out about it and my family was furious but apparently couldn't do anything about it because she had done it in increments. We all just accepted it and moved on but the bitterness never left.

    So as my first time ever posting on Reddit I thought I would share this and ask if there's anything that we could do but if not it's fine we will just be salty for a while longer

    Edit: just realised there is r/legaladviseUK but I don't know how to change it so it's staying here

    submitted by /u/Eveery-Name-Is-Taken
    [link] [comments]

    [USA, UT] Got divorced a few years ago and our decree didn't say anything about the dogs. Now I want to take them out of state.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 08:21 PM PST

    My ex-husband and I got divorced a few years ago and, until now, have been "sharing custody" of our two dogs that we got while we were married. We drop the dogs off at each other's house every two weeks. However, this agreement is 100% verbal and the dogs aren't listed in the decree. In the divorce, he got the house and everything in it and I essentially walked away with not much. The dogs are registered with the county in my name, we've split the costs for vet/grooming bills more or less evenly.

    Now I'm moving and I'd like to take the dogs with me. I have a few questions:

    - In terms of legal retaliation, what could I expect if I just up and take the dogs with me out of state?

    - Is having custody of the dogs full-time something that can be appended to the divorce decree? If so, what are my chances of winning that. Would it be best to hire a lawyer for that?

    I'm not sure about all this and am trying to find the best way to make sure I get custody of the dogs. I don't really care about the house, just want the dogs.

    submitted by /u/weluvourdoggies
    [link] [comments]

    [Ohio] Landlord 108 days late on returning $1000 deposit. He keeps saying he will pay it but still hasn’t. We signed a lease, but do not have a copy with his signature, only ours. We have proof of the deposit payment. Are we out of luck or should I take him to small claims court?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 09:03 AM PST

    I've posted about this landlord here before, and this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as what he has put us through. I have sent him an email specifically stating my ohio revised code. He has expressed several times in emails and texts that he will send us a payment of $1000. He has a return address for us. We have even given him permission to send it via Venmo (although I think at this point that might be a bad idea). We have received no letter stating damages, nor did we cause any.

    We do not have a copy of the lease with his own signature on it. I don't know why we didn't think to be sure we had his signature, I guess we just assumed that we sign it and pay him and enter into a contract for the year. Will a court even see our case? Should I speak to a lawyer? What kind of lawyer handles this sort of thing?

    Any help would be appreciated. $1000 is a lot of money for us.

    submitted by /u/danarexasaurus
    [link] [comments]

    Can an employer ask for a bonus back when an at will employee leaves the company?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 06:33 AM PST

    A friend of mine works at a chain wine & liquor store. Employees of the company can take tests on different types of alcohol and receive a bonus for passing. My friend is looking for other work and they are asking for the bonuses back. Would she be obligated too despite being an at will employee? We are in the state of Kentucky.

    submitted by /u/Milk-Man75
    [link] [comments]

    EZ pass is telling me they are going to take back my pass.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 05:18 PM PST

    I accidentally entered an EZ pass lane and I called EZ pass telling them it was an accident and they waived it since it was a first time offense. This was a year ago. Now they are telling me they never waived those fees and will confiscate my pass if I don't pay $50 within 30 days. Has anyone had experience with this before? The guy on the phone (I forgot his name since it's been so long) said he put it in a form to waive the fees and now they are telling me a year later they will confiscate my pass if I don't pay $50?? This makes no sense and I'm not sure what to do.

    submitted by /u/OnceInABlueMoment
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have to use my personal phone for work without compensation?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 07:36 AM PST

    My employer offers compensation for Supervisors and Foremen, but not anyone under those people - where I currently am positioned. I work a maintenance job (not union) that requires me to be out of my "office" for a large majority of the day and may receive multiple calls during the normal workday (though some days I do not receive any calls) and I need to consistently check my work email on my phone. I am also on call twice a month but do not receive any sort of reimbursement.

    I am working on getting a copy of the company's policy to see what it says, but my questions are can I demand reimbursement? And can I be fired for refusing to use my personal phone for work if they do not reimburse?

    I work in ND, the company is based in MN and operates in both states.

    submitted by /u/Uppity_Muppet
    [link] [comments]

    HOA giving out outrageous fines and legals fees, Massachusetts

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 05:42 PM PST

    HI everyone, I have HOA related trouble (i know right, HOA sucks) and I hope i can get some informal advice here.

    I recently had a conversation with a neighbor and heard some horror stories about our HOA's operation. Because this doesn't directly involve myself, I don't want to lawyer up yet and would prefer to reach out to /legaladvice first to get some advice on how the rest of the condo owners can take action against a over reaching HOA.

    According to my neighbor, she bought this unit for her daughter who is attending college near by. it turns out her daughter's school is close enough for daily commute so she only comes here occasionally over the weekends. This summer said daughter moved in the unit full time then moved out when school started again. Apparently the HOA decided that her daughter is a unapproved tenant and levied fines against the unit owner.

    in addition, the HOA claimed that the unit owner (my neighbor) is liable for a 12k legal fee. to the best of my knowledge there was no lawyers involved and the HOA did not furnish my neighbor with a receipt for legal service related to her case. This sounds highly illegal to me.

    I've had some minor issues with the HOA, but it seems that a lot of owners are pretty fed up with them. This horror stories makes me pretty angry and want to help my neighbor take action or take action myself to deal with our HOA. I want to ask:

    1) can the HOA just levies fines like that? do they have the burden of proof to show that there was an tenant in the unit without an authorized lease by the HOA? what actions do unit owners have besides appeal to the same HOA that levied the fine?

    2) the 12k legal fee is preposterous and sound highly illegal to me. are we allowed to asked for proof of said legal expense and/or take legal action if the HOA board fail to provide such proof?

    submitted by /u/stealthmeow
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment