• Breaking News

    Monday, December 14, 2020

    Legal Advice - Landlord refuses to enforce parking assignments or let me do it. Is there a point at which I can break my lease?

    Legal Advice - Landlord refuses to enforce parking assignments or let me do it. Is there a point at which I can break my lease?


    Landlord refuses to enforce parking assignments or let me do it. Is there a point at which I can break my lease?

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 05:52 AM PST

    Ames, Iowa

    I have a lease that began on November 1st. It is one unit in a 6-unit building, and there is a small parking lot with 10 spaces. 6 spaces are numbered and 4 spaces are guest parking. There is language in my lease stating that I am assigned parking space 1, that I may not park in other numbered spaces except space 1, any extra vehicles must park in the guest parking spaces or street spaces, etc.

    The assigned parking was important to my choosing to rent this place instead of some other place, because I use a wheelchair so I need close, easy access from my vehicle to my home. The landlord agreed to assign me space "1" (closest to the units) which is also a handicap parking space and has the sign / concrete paint accordingly.

    I have been here 6 weeks and have had continued issues with people parking in my space, and the lot being full so I cannot simply park in a guest space. I have contacted the landlord 16 times about this issue, but he is unwilling to to have vehicles towed or take other measures. His recommendation has been that I go door to door and find out who is parking in the space, and talk to them about it. However, the guy who is most commonly parking in the space is the brother of another resident and they are both crude people who have made sexual comments to me, so I am not comfortable visiting their apartment for a chat.

    I have contacted the non-emergency police number to see if there is any option. They said my landlord can add me as an authorized reporter for the lot and then if I report it they can have the vehicle towed, but my landlord declined to do this. They also said they can do something if the vehicle parked in the space doesn't have a handicap parking permit, but the guy constantly parking there does. Their most recent recommendation was that I just move.

    In the mean time, I have had to repeatedly use on street parking. This has been an issue in and of itself because there is not on-street parking available immediately in front of the units; it starts a block away and is usually filled up very quickly.

    This past Friday night I arrived home from work and as usual could not park in my space or in any other space in the lot, so I went to on street parking. I circled for a while hoping a spot would open up closer to my apartment, but none did, so I finally parked 3 blocks away. We were in the middle of a snowfall with 5 inches of snow on the ground, which my wheelchair can get through (though not easily) but plows had come through and caused piled snow at all driveways and corners, so I couldn't get from the street to the sidewalk. I spent over 25 minutes trying to get to my apartment and almost had to call for help when some kind strangers saw my trouble, shoveled a park for me and helped me get home.

    Obviously I am grateful to these strangers, but it's the final straw in a situation I am sick of. My lease states that I am assigned to a parking space that is never available to me and the landlord is not willing to enforce it. Can I break my lease over this? If so what steps do I need to take?

    submitted by /u/leasehelpinia
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors were breaking into apartments via attic. Landlord never told us.

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 10:19 AM PST

    Just found out from a neighbor that caught them in the act.

    We had been suspicious of the attic for some time, but thought it was just squirrels.

    Our apartments are single floor set up in a row. One of our neighbors is an older woman who was living with her grandsons. The grandsons moved out very suddenly but I occasionally see them still.

    I just learned from a neighbor who caught them that they were using the attic space to break into apartments and spy on neighbors.

    We had been noticing things like the attic door being slightly ajar, and odd creaking. My partner thought she saw something come down through a small hole in the ceiling and go back in. It was late at night and she convinced herself it was a dream because it initially registered to her as a snake, and the hole was too small for a snake. It was a pinhole camera. She was also sure she heard the bathroom fan blade being moved while using the bathroom and bathing our toddler. At one point she thought someone was in our eldest child's room while we were in the front half of the apartment.

    Our landlord kicked the boys out, but not the grandmother. Never told anyone about what they were doing. We only learned because they tried to break into another neighbor's and she had duct taped the attic door. When the tape began to peel off she yelled "if you come in here you aren't leaving alive" and they stopped and she could hear them moving.

    One of the boys has a warrant out for his arrest, soliciting a 13 year old.

    I've seen one of them back on the property several times since.

    Our sense of safety and privacy is trashed. Whole someone is usually home, what about the times we weren't? Have little things that have been misplaced actually been stolen? Is the reason our dogs would uncharacteristically carry on when we leave because someone else is in our home?

    Again, landlord didn't tell anyone. Our other neighbors have a teenage daughter. We have two children. The thought of someone sneaking into the back half of the apartment or worse, directly into the room where our baby slept sickens me.

    Her granddaughter lives with her now. She is dealing and prostituting out of the apartment. Her pimp/dealer has menaced other tenants. Her dog just attacked our neighbor's son.

    Cops said there's nothing they can do right now. Waiting on callback from legal aid society. We have nowhere to go right now. Lockdown and COVID have drained our life savings. No clue what to do.

    submitted by /u/MetroidsAteMyStash
    [link] [comments]

    Bank allowed someone to deposit a check not made out to them - how to recover?

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 05:24 PM PST

    I wrote a check for $3000 to a law firm, and somehow the check ended up in someone else's hands, who deposited it into their account. I don't know who it is, but from the canceled check I have their account number and bank. I have no idea if it was stolen, or misdelivered, or what.

    I've been attempting to recover this money for almost six months now, submitting various affidavits and forms, and my bank is blaming the other bank for not responding to their requests.

    But doesn't their bank have a responsibility to verify that the depositor matches the party the check was made out to? Doesn't my bank have a similar responsibility? If anyone can just deposit a check made out to whoever, what's the point of using a check at all? Might as well make it out to "cash".

    Anyone know what each bank's liability is in these cases? If I sue my bank in small claims court, do I have a case, since they paid a check clearly not made out to the party written on the check?

    Edit:

    Location: Massachusetts.

    I dug around and found this:

    https://www.sbbolaw.com/a-primer-on-check-forgeries/

    If a drawee bank pays an item bearing the forged signature of the drawer, the ultimate loss will usually fall on the drawee bank. Because the item is not "properly payable" (UCC § 4-401), it may not be charged to the customer's account, and if it has been charged, it must be recredited.

    So they owe me a credit immediately, is that right? Do I have to sue them or is there a better process?

    submitted by /u/engineer_965
    [link] [comments]

    I gave a local business who was not following COVID regulations a 1 star review. They’re threatening to sue for defamation.

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 06:43 PM PST

    I am located in California. A local business recently got infamous for refusing to follow state-guided COVID regulations in their store. Many videos were posted on Twitter and Instagram of an entirely mask-less staff, with a mask less customer base as well. I was angry this was happening so I gave them a 1 star review on google. I didn't want to risk getting COVID actually going into the place, but I still wanted to give input as a local. I didn't write anything, just gave them one star.

    I just got an email that they had commented under my review, saying this:

    "Hello. Just so you are aware we are complying a list of those who have given reviews not based on experience. We will handing that over to our lawyers and will by filing a lawsuit and suing for defamation. You can leave your review or take it down."

    Can they actually sue me over this?

    submitted by /u/user8825304520462
    [link] [comments]

    Can I (31F) move out of Texas with my daughter (14 months)?

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 04:31 AM PST

    I live in Texas with my ex boyfriend. We live in a 2 bedroom flat which he finances. We broke up a year ago, a week after I gave birth to our child.

    He is the biological dad (untested, but he's the only one who has sex with me during the year my daughter was conceived) but his name is not on the birth certificate of my daughter.

    I've not been working, taking care of the child, so we live with him since it made sense financially. He earns a decent wage, and wanted to be part of his daughter's life.

    I broke up with him because he was always quite paranoid, insecure and out me down in an emotional/verbal way.

    2 weeks ago, he fractured my jaw with his fist when we got into an argument. I didnt report this to the police, but had to go to hospital.

    I have a friend in the UK who over the past couple of months, I have fallen romantically for. We want to start a family together with my daughter.

    Can I just up and leave, since my ex isn't listed as my daughter's official parent? I technically have sole legal custody.

    submitted by /u/ThrowRAaaaahwha
    [link] [comments]

    I/DD brother was raped and cops won’t help

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 09:07 PM PST

    My 18 yo I/DD Brother was raped by a man that just got out of prison. He went to the hospital and local police but they refused to press charges and said they needed a motive, although this guy is on probation and everything. This has traumatized my brother so much and since we live in a small town, they've just labeled him crazy. He is so distraught and I don't know what to do or who to go to. We've tried reaching out to ADAP with no response. Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/PleasantlyForward
    [link] [comments]

    My boyfriend works as a bartender for a bar that was recently busted for having a fake liquor license, but the owner never told my boyfriend. What can he do to avoid getting a criminal offense?

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 08:53 AM PST

    Okay, so my boyfriend (23 M) just began working for this brand new cafe/bar in central Florida this past September 2020. The owner clearly is a new entrepreneur and has had zero idea even how to make the menu (or food in general, sadly) and my boyfriend has been the sole bartender here and had high hopes to help blossom the venue. It hasn't had much business yet, but just last week, the cops randomly showed up while my boyfriend was working and he found out that the owner had had a fake liquor license this whole time and now my boyfriend is held accountable as well even though he NEVER knew. He is pissed off and already has been hired for another new restaurant opening up in January, but is still working at this place until then. The bar has obviously been closed, but the cafe portion is still open. He feels like there is absolutely nothing he can do even though I said there has to be a way out of it because he was NOT an accomplice of any sort, but I don't know of anything that can be done either.... He just messaged me that he might have to do a "deferred prosecution program." Any help/advice would be so very appreciated. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Ast-ria
    [link] [comments]

    Condo next door being renovated (I am owner of my own condo and own a designated parking spot) renovators are putting dumpster in my parking spot against my will. What do I do?

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 07:47 AM PST

    This is my legal parking spot. It is private not public. I do not rent, I own.

    I am pissed off with a baby. My car is now parked on the public street down the block.

    submitted by /u/twstdpattycake
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord has gone full year lease without completing a single work order. Now theyre trying to contest my complaints with the BBB.

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 07:33 PM PST

    So. To summarize a very very long story. My landlords have done very very little on the list of things I asked them to fix. Now we're a few weeks from moving out and they're trying to fix everything right now. We asked them to just let us move in peace but they are claiming now we've refused their help the entire time.

    We haven't had a heater in my house since we moved in, we've had a MASSIVE bug problems, they left a pile from the previous tenets and contractors that I had to pick up took 7 months, holes in the sub flooring, bad plumbing, bare wires, the list just keeps going.

    Recently they towed my car despite no warning, no notice, nothing and it was very obvious I was singled out as my neighbors park the same way every day, and my car was only there for a few hours.

    The worst part of this is: Texas. I've upheld as much as I possibly can with my side of the lease but they are making my life as much hell as they possibly can and I don't know what to do anymore. I have a newborn and a 5 year that need my attention, not this bs.

    submitted by /u/dav_ooh
    [link] [comments]

    (Wi) what constitutes as stalking? Especially if the person has previously came into my home unannounced?

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 09:18 PM PST

    A year and half ago... My bf's ex wife started fb messaging me because she was upset him and I were together. I didn't reply. Days later she comes to my house punches my door and then proceeds to come into my house screaming and yelling. All in front of my 12 yr old son. Cops were called they only gave her a trespassing warning

    A week later I caught her sitting out front of my house in her car. Just sitting in the road in her car... when I opened the curtains she sped off. Had it all on my security camera and called the cops. They told me it was legal for her to drive by and be in the roadway.

    I live next to a chain link fence bordered with a school playground. At night she has went into the field... spying.... to the point I had to install privacy fencing.

    Every-time I call the cops they tell me there is t much they can do. Other than the "trespassing warning" which I thought was bullshit, they tell me it's legal for her to be in the school field, in the road way etc.

    Went to court and the judge advised I had the burden of proof but gave her a free pass as he felt it was "temporary" emotion but stated if she harassed me again or tried contacting me again he would automatically order a TRO.

    Since then she has not tried to contact me however she drives by my house constantly. My son will be in the front yard and see her and freak out. I look on the cameras and yup there she is. I see her driving by at least 3-4 times a week.

    I feel like I'm being watched every second of the day. I keep my curtains closed daily because I have this constant feeling of being watched. Is it bothering my 12 yr old son? Absolutely. He has been traumatized by this. And anytime he sees her he freaks out.

    If someone is spying, stalking etc in a "public" place (road, school, etc) why is that legal? And at what point does it become chargeable?

    submitted by /u/onedaywhenwearecats
    [link] [comments]

    My job is freezing, we can’t feel our toes.

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 08:22 AM PST

    Hi! I work for a popular bank company in the Midwest/ specifically MO. I need advice on how to handle the changing temperatures that my company will not address. My branch is freezing in the teller line. Especially in our drive thru. We only have a cinder block wall and no other insulation. The drawer has a heater in it and a heater underneath. That is it. We have freezing cold air coming in from the tubes. There's is a glass room next to the teller line that has two in wall space-heaters that are broken. (Last year the heater in the break room broke and they refused to replace it until the end of winter, making it impossible for us to have a real breaks) The main issue is we end up not being able to feel our toes while working. They will not provide any new heaters and they will not provide a space heater. On top of that, it's forbidden to bring one in. We are required to wear dress shoes and they will not let us wear boots. Not even when it's freezing and the lobby is closed because of corona. We wear layers. They tell us to layer up. I wear tights under my pants, socks (sometimes numerous) and my shoes. And I can't feel my toes. We're the busiest branch out of the entire holding company. We work 9-10 hour shifts with 1 hour lunch breaks and we aren't allowed to sit and get stools hidden if we're caught sitting when we don't feel well. I have had a sprained ankle for two months and I'm not allowed to sit. Besides getting a new job, what can I do? Should I call osha?

    submitted by /u/mehhgb
    [link] [comments]

    landlord telling me i have to get rid of dog?

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 04:16 PM PST

    hey y'all, I need some advice. I'm in GA in the metro Atlanta area

    so....I moved in to a rental unit ~6 months ago. When I moved in, my landlord met my dog (who's fully grown) and agreed that she was within the limits for the HOA rules. He signed her into the lease, I paid a $400 pet deposit - we were all good. And then I got a text today from my landlord saying I have to get rid of my dog by next Monday, 12/21 because she "doesn't fit the HOA requirements" and they want her gone. If I don't get rid of her, I get a $500 fee starting 12/21 and every two weeks I'll be charged $500 additionally. I assume what happens if I don't pay that $500 is eviction?

    Should I be seeking legal help? What's my next step here? What do I even do at this point?

    submitted by /u/amber4l
    [link] [comments]

    Small businesses threatening to sue for defamation over Google review.

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 07:55 PM PST

    Recently I had visited a coffee shop in which the employees and patrons were not socially distancing or wearing masks.

    I had left a review written as such:

    "i used to love coming here but they do not follow covid safety measures. employees and customers sit inside without a mask on with their children running around"

    To which they responded:

    "Hello. Just so you are aware we are complying a list of those who have given reviews not based on experience. We will handing that over to our lawyers and will by filing a lawsuit and suing for defamation. You can leave your review or take it down."

    There is video and picture evidence of this occurring. I have personally witnessed this as well.

    1. Do I have to remove the review prior to an actual legal notice?

    2. Does this count as defamation since there is evidence of this happening?

    This is in Southern California, USA

    submitted by /u/RebelSD
    [link] [comments]

    Door fell on me at work

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 10:06 PM PST

    Hey everyone. I'm a nurse at the hospital in Pennsylvania and a door fell on me six months ago. I was closing a patients bathroom door and the door fell down like directly onto me I caught it with both hands. After I pushed the door off me I saw the top hinge had come undone.

    Three other staff members saw it happen and one came to try to move the door out of the room but it was too heavy for him to lift ( it's one of those fire doors). Right after the accident I filed a report, spoke to my manager, got seen by occupational medicine and had a week off. I came back doing light duty work which I've been doing since. I've been doing weekly occupational therapy but still have considerable pain in my right wrist and mild in my left. The accident happened may 30 by mid July I had had an X-ray and mri which found a partial tear in the ligament in my right wrist as well as some tendinitis and two ganglion cysts. The left also had tendinitis some fraying of a ligament and one cyst.

    Last week I was told that per the policy of my work my position would not be held anymore and if I'm able to come back to work I'll need to reapply. If I'm not back by a year after being out of work my position will be terminated.

    At this point I'm not totally sure what to do and am kinda exploring my options. Any advice?

    TLDR A door fell off the hinges onto me (a RN) and I've been on light duty since. Potentially unable to be a bedside nurse

    submitted by /u/rebrebreb939
    [link] [comments]

    NJ - Landlord says boiler will be out this week and we must use our own money to buy heaters and blankets to keep warm. Do we have any rights?

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 11:52 AM PST

    We just moved into a new 2 family house in NJ. The property manager has a lot of repairs to make including a missing/broken door lock, 2 broken windows, holes in the floors near the radiators, and now says the boiler will be out this week. The property manager said we should buy space heaters, blankets to stay warm. She also suggested we go live with relatives in the meantime. We are in a pandemic and no relatives live in the state. It's currently raining and cold outside. We have a 8 month old and 16 year old. Today, the boiler caught a small fire and the fire department had to be called. It has truly been a nightmare and we just moved in on the December 1st. What are some things we can do?

    submitted by /u/WellThen10
    [link] [comments]

    Hikers Blocking Driveway and Parking On Neighbor's Property - California - SLO County

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 09:54 AM PST

    Thank you for any advice/guidance in advance.

    Wife and I just moved to a new home backing up to a hiking trail which is pretty great. What is not so great is that hikers keep parking partially on my neighbor's property or blocking my driveway to access the trail. From the street, my house is on the left side of the trailhead and my neighbor's is on the right. It is on and off all day and obviously quite the annoyance. The hiking trail is made to be accessed by foot and there are a few trailheads around town with parking lots...my house and my neighbor's house are not one of them.

    In our neighborhood, the houses and property lines go right up to the street. The folks parking in front of my neighbor's house have to park partially on my neighbors property to be "off street" and when there is already a car parked partially on my neighbor's property, people are taking the liberty of parking in front of my driveway and partially on my property.

    So there are two issues at play. 1. People are parking over my and my neighbor's property lines which means their cars are partially on our property. 2. Parking in front of my driveway makes parts of my driveway inaccessible.

    What should my course of action be? Can I get cars towed for each violation or do I need to get the county involved? The town I live in is unincorporated SLO County. It's different cars all the time so it's not like I can talk to every individual violator, nor should I really have to. Just looking for the quickest and easiest way to get folks not to park illegally in front of my and my neighbor's house.

    Edit: Added links to photos below for clarity.

    My House https://m.imgur.com/gallery/xBilZhn

    Neighbor's House - their yard looks a bit different now. They have a low fence and the rocks are removed. People are parking where the rocks used to be. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/sSnqHg1

    submitted by /u/tejarbakiss
    [link] [comments]

    Puppy

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 10:35 PM PST

    Hi, just wondering if anyone has been in the situation i am in and if you have any advice. I currently live with a friend who decided to pack up and leave and ahe took my 2 month old puppy with her. I have the document from the people my dad bought her from and the bank statements. I also had her registered/ licensed in my name. Will this be enough to get her back? I went to the cops already and said they cant do anything that i will have to go to civil court so i am calling them tomorrow. Thank you! Also i live in Ohio.

    submitted by /u/Professional-Web-168
    [link] [comments]

    Being forced to work overtime as "make-up" work

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 10:23 PM PST

    Hi r/legaladvice.

    My SO is in a predicament with her work; she is an intern at her job where she is guaranteed a specific amount of hours every day, meaning she gets paid the same amount i.e. a day rate no matter how long she works. It is an internship and an I-9 job taxwise. However she still fills out a timecard. It may also be pertinent that we are in Illinois.

    Occasionally her work will cut early, but more recently she's been expected to stay past her scheduled hours and refusing to do so. Her employer says it "makes-up" for the hours she didn't work and still got paid for. This has now led to her being terminated. On top of it there are several other things she's been accused of, such as conducting non work-related business (true on one occasion), removing her mask in a covid-safe zone(false) and submitting a fraudulent vehicle accident report(also false). However the main cause for her termination was the disagreement about her hours.

    So that is her predicament. She's understandably very upset over losing her job, and my question is whether or not she was right in refusing to work past her scheduled hours. I've already suggested she submit a claim to DoL, and I'm also hoping the good people of this subreddit can provide some insight into the issue.

    submitted by /u/UnfunkyWFO
    [link] [comments]

    [MO] Landlord has stalled on repairs, wants to move us into more expensive unit instead

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 10:06 AM PST

    Hello everyone, I wanted to get an outside take on a situation my s/o and I have been dealing with for the last few months. We've been renting a loft for roughly 2 years. Our lease is up in March, but we had planned on paying for a few extra months until the summer to move out of state for my job since our landlords allow it. For the most part we have enjoyed living here. The maintenance has not always been the best or most timely, but it has been a relatively nice place to live. Recently, our unit has has some crazy water issues. An entire wall in our living room has extensive water damage due to an old window which they have come out to make half-asses repairs on multiple times. Our patio has leaked constantly into the businesses beneath us because they refuse to seal it properly. They have come out to re-seal it last spring, and only put a thin rubber layer down which quickly peeled up. I'm assuming this is meant to be placed under concrete. Two days ago part of our ceiling collapsed and we were left with a decent sized wet hole. It is now starting to mold all around the hole and down the wall near it. We called emergency maintenance multiple times the day this happened since it was a Saturday and the building office was closed. They told us they would send someone out to look at it each time we called but nobody ever showed. This morning I finally got a response from our landlord saying we can move into a different unit which is smaller than ours with no patio for the same price to avoid "having to deal with all the repairs". I told them we were not interested and that we are prepared to discuss reducing our rent until the existing issues are fixed. I also stated we would only be insterested in moving units if we were being moved into a unit comparable to the one we are currently living in for the same price. They said they have a unit like ours with a balcony available, but they "cannot keep the rent the same" and our rent would go up $450. This is quickly spiraling out of control and I'm starting to feel like they are trying to scam us. Any suggestions on how to handle this situation moving forward in the most legally sound way would be very appreciated.

    submitted by /u/patoloat
    [link] [comments]

    Everything in my dad's shop was stolen.

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 07:58 PM PST

    My father was a race car engineer. He owned a large shop that had a few millions of dollars worth of equipment inside. He and the landlord at the time made a contract that allows my father to be able to buy the shop after four years of renting it.

    So, the landlord sells it out from under my father's nose without telling him. The people who bought the shop changed the locks immediately and my father wasn't able to get into the building. The building has been under my father's name for a year which means he owns it.

    The people who bought the building claims they set up an eviction notice but my father has been up there every day and there was never any paper on the door. While we have been trying to get into contact with these people, they have been selling my father's stuff.

    On the last day we can get our stuff before it gets put on the outside of the building, we knocked on the door. (Because the lock was changed) The new owners said that everything in the building was now their property and that if we stayed we were trespassing. After we left they called the police.

    Since then one of my father's friends has been watching the building and they never set our stuff outside. In fact several cars have shown up to the shop and they were selling our stuff to them.

    submitted by /u/SmolHazelNut
    [link] [comments]

    (MA) 17 years old and owe $30k to PayPal due to a scam and need advice.

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 08:22 AM PST

    Using a throwaway. Speaking on behalf of a minor that did business through paypal. Apologize for the vagueness of the post. I don't have all the details myself but want to find any advice I can give him.

    Hey guys. I work with a 17 year old (we will call him "Steve") who has shared with me that he currently owes almost $30k to PayPal through American Coradius, Int'l (Paypal's debt collector).

    Long story short, he worked with a "friend" (we will call him "David" and is 21 years old) who bought and sold stuff online. Steve would accept the money on Paypal on behalf of David and transfer the money to David using Zelle and Venmo. Steve was not involved in the selling of these goods himself but was basically the middle-man. He did this in excess of $100k last year so thought nothing of it. He also did it for David because David owed him money, which he took from the amount that he sent to David.

    This continued into 2020 with no issue until July when one of David's clients did a chargeback for $2000. This continued until all the chargebacks and fees added up to almost $30,000. Apparently David never sent the products to the clients. His friend has told him multiple times that he will pay him back but it has now been months and have yet to receive anything. The debt has now been passed onto ACI. He has contacted ACI and let them know the situation and that he was a minor and they told him that they will pass that information onto PayPal.

    I have been on this subreddit long enough to know that he shouldn't have accepted payments from people he don't know and send it to his friend and put himself at financial risk. But what's done is done and I am trying to help him on what to do next.

    I have already advised him to:

    1. Talk to his parents. Because he is a minor, this debt is real and is tied to not only him, but to his parents. He will need to get them involved.
    2. Save all communications between him and David. He has text messages between them regarding this situation and David's "promises" to pay him back.
    3. File a police report. If he were to dispute this with PayPal (however unlikely that they will accept it) he will need a police report.
    4. Talk to a lawyer. Obviously this is a large sum of money and not something a minor should deal with on their own. A lawyer can help him contact PayPal on his behalf and also help him recover the money from David. I have given him the link to the Massachusetts Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service to help find a lawyer.

    He told me that he talked to his boss's family lawyer about it and he told him to "lay low". When I asked him what that meant, he said to just let it blow over and if it comes to it, he may have to dispute the debt in court against PayPal. I don't think this is the right legal advice. I think he needs to hire his own lawyer and get proper legal advice from him.

    I think that Steve afraid to hire his own lawyer and wants to deal with this himself. I think he is hoping that PayPal will eventually forgive the debt or that David with finally give him the money. If they don't, that he will just have to liquidate his belongings to pay off the debt.

    Any advice on how I can advise him further would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully if this post gets good response, I can show it to him to help convince him to consult a lawyer. I will do my best to answer any and all questions that you guys might have. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/needlegaladvice1235
    [link] [comments]

    my boyfriend’s friend took advantage of me

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 03:50 PM PST

    [23F] using a throwaway. not really sure where to post this so i'm posting in a couple subs before i start i just want it made clear that my boyfriend does not know the full story and i do not blame him in any form or fashion for what happened.

    i went to a boxing party last week with my boyfriend and it was at the apartment of one of his best guy friends (known each other for 13 years, i've known him myself for 4). i will sum this up as much as i can. we were all drinking pretty excessively throughout the night and after the party festivities ended it was me, my boyfriend, his friend, and his friend's girlfriend left in the living room. we smoked a joint between the 4 of us and i had a few more shots as well. i started feeling horribly after coming down off all the alcohol and decided to go lay down, i didn't tell my boyfriend or anyone what was wrong because i didn't want to look like i couldn't handle my liquor. i guess i fell asleep fairly quickly because i woke up to someone, who i obviously assumed was my boyfriend, on top of me and breathing on my neck. i tried to adjust myself a little bit because the person was pressing all their weight on my lower body, then i heard my boyfriend's friend and then my boyfriend both erupt with laughter. apparently they thought it would be funny to pretend my bf's friend was actually him trying to have sex with me (very stupid immature and not funny at all, i know).

    anyways, after i let them know i didn't think it was funny and i needed to rest, they left me alone. i fell fast asleep and only woke a few times throughout the span of maybe an hour of me sleeping, only because of the music/yelling/etc. i fell into a much deeper sleep and was awoken again, this time seemingly hours later, after all the noise had died down and the light were all turned off. someone, assuming my bf again, was kneeling over me with both their arms at my sides. they started to kiss my neck and all i could smell was alcohol. thinking it was my boyfriend drunk and initiating sex, i reach down to the pants area and start rubbing. i could feel instantly that it wasn't my boyfriend so i jerk my hand back quickly and freeze. it didn't register to me what was happening until it was already happening. i told him to stop, to get off from the beginning and he didn't, just kept pushing his weight on me more and more, grabbing under my shirt at my breasts, forcing his hand up my shorts. all i could think about is how my boyfriend would react if he caught him, and i didn't want to bring any problems so i laid there feeling sick and scared. the whole thing lasted a couple minutes i think and when he was done he laid on me for a second mumbling things like "sorry" "that wasn't good"... then jumped up like there was a fire, and bolted out the door.

    i am still processing all of this until today. i'm not really sure how i should go about this. i want to tell my boyfriend his friend raped me after they tried to play a "prank" but i don't want him feeling guilty and i'm also nervous his friend will lie and i will end up getting the short end of the stick (like i said they've been friends for 13 years, i've only been with my boyfriend for 4) also considering telling my boyfriend's friend's girlfriend but i'm not sure what good that will do. i want to express my anger to my boyfriend as well for leaving me in that predicament/not checking on me after what they did but again, i don't want to guilt him. i apologize for this being longer than i anticipated but i could really use the advice. please don't be mean

    submitted by /u/patassfussy
    [link] [comments]

    Legal definition of Hit & Run charge in the State of Hawaii. Am I guilty?

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 11:05 PM PST

    I swerved to avoid hitting two kids in a go-kart and struck a utility pole doing about 20 miles per hour.

    The report says I did $3,000 estimated damage to the pole, but no visible damage is present nor does it look any different from any of the other poles.

    The report also cites me for "Hit & Run."

    What is the exact definition of "Hit & Run" in the state of Hawaii? I never received a citation for hit and run, but the police report says I did and they checked that box.

    The accident happened a few feet from my house, so a family member immediately drove me to the hospital and the car was parked in a safe area and the police & tow agency were notified (though the police towed it before my insurance could). I had injuries, I was the only person present, and the only damage that was done was to myself (fractured bones) and my car was banged up. No other vehicles were present, the two kids in the go-kart were not identified, mentioned or question, and no other parties were involved other than myself. I did not give a police report because I was in the hospital for quite some time.

    submitted by /u/robert_19_32
    [link] [comments]

    Ex is posting pictures of our kids on her sexually suggestive social media pages

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 08:48 PM PST

    My ex started an onlyfans page a few months back. She drives traffic to her page by posting inappropriate videos on instagram and tiktok. In the past she kept 2 different pages, one for her family where she posted family friendly stuff, and one to promote her onlyfans by posting videos etc. The problem is that she has started to post videos and pictures o3r our kids on her social media associate with her onlyfans and inappropriate images/videos. The videos of the kids are not inappropriate but share the same space as her other posts. We share custody (50/50), and both kids are under 12yrs old. I have politely asked her to take down the images/videos of the kids but she refuses. What can I legally do? I fear for the safety of my children as she has made her information very public. Please help!

    submitted by /u/GreenSwordfish1989
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment