• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 20, 2020

    Legal Advice - I was taken to the hospital against my will by the police and now the hospital wants me to pay

    Legal Advice - I was taken to the hospital against my will by the police and now the hospital wants me to pay


    I was taken to the hospital against my will by the police and now the hospital wants me to pay

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 05:52 AM PST

    A little over a month ago my wife told me she wants a divorce. I was incredibly sad and alone, and I wanted someone to tell me it's going to be alright. So I called the Veterans Crisis Line. They asked a whole bunch of questions about suicide and just kept on asking about it, so eventually I told them that this isn't what I wanted and I was going to call someone else.

    They called the cops. I had 4 police cars and 7 police officers come and get me. I was taken to the hospital in handcuffs, where I was kept in handcuffs for about 2 hours. Eventually a doctor came and asked me if I was suicidal, I explained that I wasn't, I was just sad. He said "okay, good to go" and sent me on my way.

    That was literally it. I didn't get medicine. I didn't get anything. I didn't even want to be there, especially in handcuffs. And now the hospital is trying to collect $681.56 from me for the hospital stay. I'm in Maryland if that makes a difference

    Is there any way I can contest/fight this? Is there any way I don't have to pay this? It was not my choice to go to the hospital, and I feel like it's incredibly unfair that I have to pay for this when I didn't even get treated... with the exception of being treated like a criminal.

    submitted by /u/running_in_spite
    [link] [comments]

    I showed up to an airbnb that I paid for and was confirmed by Airbnb via email, only to find out the listing was from a previous owner. Could I take them to court to get a refund and reimbursement for expenses?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 06:57 PM PST

    I had a 4 week vacation to Utah planned and paid 1375$ for an Airbnb. I booked it within 48 hours of my check in time. I tried contacting the host but their listed phone number was dead, I called Airbnb and the rep said I could cancel if I wanted and that he would email the host. Airbnb charged me and sent me an email confirming the booking. I drove about 10 hours and a friend took a flight. When I arrived I knocked on the door to no response. I walked back to my car and the occupant of the house came out and told me he had moved in two months ago and never listed the house on Airbnb. I called Airbnb and the rep promised me a refund but didn't know when it would be processed. Since then I've downloaded their app and that's the only way I can reach their customer service. But I've been switched between 6-7 different reps and none of them have sent me an email or promised me anything in writing. My attempts at getting anything done over the phone have failed. I'd prefer to keep this out of a court, but I'm wondering what my legal recourse could be if they continue doing nothing. Also if I need to get a lawyer, does anyone have any recommendations on how to go about doing so?

    submitted by /u/michaelpinkwayne
    [link] [comments]

    Can I turn off my ring camera off if I co own a house with an ex partner.

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 03:42 PM PST

    My ex partner and I own a house together. We are waiting on the house to sell. He is watching me with the ring security device and coming in the house when I'm not home. Do I have any legal recourse? Can I shut off the cameras so he is not watching me?

    submitted by /u/ButtonsnBows2108
    [link] [comments]

    I work an asian market and my manger told us that the owner will soon require cashiers who are short on money at the end of the day will have the money removed from their paycheck is this at all legal, I'm in Arizona

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 08:47 PM PST

    I work at a ghetto asian market, ik the place is very shady an old supervisor once told me she even heard a health inspector mention that our market always makes up excuses. But currently one of my co workers is being made to give them 10$ out of his own pockets for being short on cash. Ik that they even open an attic hatch at night to allow stray cats to come in and hunt down some rats. Some co-workers don't even speak English and I'm pretty they could easily be taken advantage of, ik the "owner" even has a gambling issue because he only comes into the market when he lost big and watches all the cashiers work, one of the supervisor explained that's why he comes in mad sometimes.

    submitted by /u/fliera1942
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor’s house on my property

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 06:20 PM PST

    I just bought a property and had it surveyed. Neighbor's house is on my property about a foot. Plus septic system adds more overage. There is suppose to be a 10 ft setback. They are past that by at least 10 ft.

    My property is vacant and they have a house. Their house was built in 1960 but new owners as of a few months ago. I bought the month after. There has never been a house built on my lot. There is a fishing shed on my property from previous owners.

    This really changes my house plans. The lot is narrow and I created a plan that I want. This messes up the reason I bought the property in the first place.

    The property is on a lake and they basically took over more lake property blocking my view and usage. I suspect they didn't get a survey when they purchased recently. The survey company said the back pin was missing.

    With the house there so long what are my options?

    submitted by /u/Red-dit-fan
    [link] [comments]

    College changed everything about my major and won’t refund the courses that no longer count

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 11:52 AM PST

    I am in a culinary program in knoxville TN. It started out as a culinary arts certification and a business administration minor. After two semesters and three business courses, my college decides to cut the business aspect completely. They also stopped using UTK kitchens which were advertised and was the main attraction for most the culinary students.

    This fall semester I was told that my art and humanities credits didn't transfer from my previous college and that I would need to take them again. My advisor told me to take Photography so I can learn how to take better pics of my dishes.

    When I went to sign up for new classes, I was told that photography doesn't count as an art/humanities credit and that I still have two to do.

    My father has been draining himself to pay for my education. And these classes are wasted time and money. I'm currently trying to get my photography class to count as a credit.

    What can I legally do? Can I sue them for false advertising or something? My dad is out a few grand bc of this.

    Any help is needed and wanted and appreciated.

    Edit: the transfer was from UTK to Pellissippi.

    submitted by /u/Ace-a-nova
    [link] [comments]

    Repeated property damage due to poorly designed traffic circle and construction (Car drove into my house)

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 10:36 AM PST

    Hi there,

    MD resident(Baltimore City).

    TL;DR: I live next to a traffic circle that has about 1-2 accidents a month and have had a car drive into my house due to the poor design of the intersection. In addition, last night a car ended up hitting my parked car due to the intersection (hit and run). I want the city to do something about this intersection before someone gets hurt. And ideally I'd like my deductibles to be paid for as well. Unsure what kind of lawyer I should be calling(or if I even have a leg to stand on).

    So here's a weird one with a fair bit of nuance. I live next to an intersection that has historically been VERY prone to accidents. It was a two-way stop, with cars on the main road having the right of way. People (let's refer to these people as "idiots" for short) used to FLY down that road, and people stopped at the stop sign wouldn't see them before they entered the intersection. Not a great combination. The city refused to make it a 4 way stop due to the main street being a "necessary point of emergency egress from the city" or something like that. So instead, we got a small "traffic circle" (the middle bit cant be more than 7-8 feet in diameter). What this did was cause the idiots to instead need to slightly swerve to avoid the "traffic circle." People in larger trucks often roll right over it. Also no one yields to each other. It's great. The city occasionally places big orange traffic barrels on it, but those eventually get destroyed, and shouldn't be used as a permanent solution.

    Back to where my wife and I fit into this story: a few months after the "traffic circle" was installed, two vehicles entered the intersection simultaneously, and one ended up crashing into my house, destroying my front steps. It has been an expensive PITA to get fixed, as we live in a historic district and permits are the worst. For context, we live next to two schools, and it was about 3:00pm on a school day, and this was pre-pandemic so there were children everywhere. I have no clue how none of them got hit.

    So that happened, and then shortly after that accident, the city placed a WILD amount of these in an effort to force people to slow down as they navigate them through the intersection. Those get ignored by big trucks who just roll over them, and so now there are only about 2 left on the main road. That said, they DID reduce the amount of accidents for some time.

    Recently, the local gas company has been doing work on the pipes under the main street, including under the intersection. They've been digging up the road, removing the yellow warning/traffic paint, and placing down metal plates as a temporary hold when they aren't immediately working on it. Just an extra bit of spice for our dumpster fire of an intersection.

    Last night around 1AM, I heard a crash outside. I poked my head out to see a dark colored SUV driving away from my parked car(which I bought this year), leaving behind a smashed wreckage. Upon investigation, the tire tracks indicate that the car went into the intersection too fast, and then they over-compensated as they exited the traffic circle, onto the metal plates. They fishtailed while over-correcting on the metal plates and then ran straight into my car, pausing for about 3 seconds before driving away. They were nice enough to leave a few bits of their car behind for us including their front grill and license plate holder. So now we know it was a Ford(not helpful), and that they were driving without a front license plate(also not helpful). That said, I'm not looking to "get" the person who did this. I want the city to fix this damn traffic circle before someone gets killed. And ideally I want them to pay our damn deductibles for our homeowners and auto insurance. What do?
    I've got a vid from the incident(unsure if I'm allowed to post it here), but no tags were captured :/

    submitted by /u/bruddarigz
    [link] [comments]

    Employer is Saying I have to Quarantine if I get COVID Vaccine

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 12:37 PM PST

    So basically, my employer is telling me that if I get the COVID vaccine that they are going to make me quarantine for two weeks. Everyone at my work is fear mongering the COVID vaccine and basically trying to convince me not to get it, and also saying the vaccine is unsafe and can transmit COVID. Can they even do this??

    Thank you.

    Edit: I am in Texas and will not be payed if I am forced to quarantine

    submitted by /u/dummydumb98
    [link] [comments]

    Airline lost our pet

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 10:20 AM PST

    Hello,

    We lost our cat in cargo due to an overbooking of pets in cabin. The frustrating part of the ordeal is that we reserved a cabin seat for our cat in over a week in advance. The family is restless and stressed over the situation.

    Full post can be found here:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Pets/comments/kgsiwt/ethiopian_airlines_lost_our_cat/

    We are currently giving the airline a chance to find him and are hoping that someone from the area will spot him. If the worst possible outcome occurs, what are our legal options?

    submitted by /u/TacitusP
    [link] [comments]

    My family are letting my stepfather stop by, despite me having a no contact order against him.

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 05:09 PM PST

    This is a throwaway account, pardon any grammatical errors please.

    I have a no contact order against my step father. I live with my step mother and my biological dad and my little brother. The no contact order prohibits my step father from coming within 200 meters of me. My step mother and my dad have apparently been allowing my step father to come up to our doorstep, whether to drop off items, my little sister, etc etc.

    They have kept telling me it's fine and I eventually just let it happen because I figured there was nothing I could do about it, since they're letting me live there rent free. For clarity, I am over 18 and live in America.

    One of my friends told me that they're pretty sure that my family isn't supposed to be letting this happen due to law. I just want to know if this is true, and if so, what should/could I do?

    Please let me know if I have violated any rules, I read them and I'm pretty sure I'm obeying them? If not, I can do my best to edit my post.

    submitted by /u/WashyTrashy
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] Great uncle passed away, and family was not notified of his passing and his wife/executor of his will has now vanished.

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 06:42 AM PST

    It's a long story, but I'll give you the short version.

    My great uncle, on my mother's side, passed away recently after being old and sickly for several years. His wife, the executor of his will, had been acting very hostile and suspicious towards the rest of the family in the weeks up to his passing. My mother met with my great uncle around a week before he passed away, and he told her, verbally, that she was in his will.

    After that, we didn't hear anything from them for several weeks. When we tried to call there, no one picked up. Worried that he may have passed away, I brought up an obituary listing online, and sure enough, my great uncle had passed weeks prior. No one in the family was notified of his passing nor of his funeral.

    We called their house phone again, and my mom spoke with his wife. The wife claimed that she didn't have our number (which we think is a lie) and that she was very busy and would get back into contact with us in a few days.

    We tried to call her back about a week later, to find that the phones were now disconnected. I then Googled their address, and just as I assumed, the wife had sold their house pretty much immediately.

    So... We know that allegedly, at the very least, my mother was included in his will, straight from the man's mouth. And now the executor of his will did not inform his family of his passing, and has completely disappeared. I should also probably mention that my great uncle was a very wealthy man, and his estate would be of a very not-insignificant amount of money, so this isn't like she's running away with a couple couches and family portraits - she's running away with millions of dollars.

    What should we do about this situation?

    submitted by /u/executordisappeared
    [link] [comments]

    I have a restraining order against my parents and they contacted my employer to try and get me fired. What can I do?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 09:45 PM PST

    So I have a restraining order against both of my parents for reasons I cant say here. A few days ago I had gotten a call from my boss asking me to come in on my day off for a meeting. When I go in, he says they received a call stating I was doing illegal things in the office and stealing from the company. So they suspended me and seized my work computer to search through it. When I called my lawyer and told him what happened he contacted my employer and somehow got the number of who called in to report me. Only to find out, it was my parents house number. Is there any legal repercussions on my parents if I have a restraining order against them?

    For reference I'm a 25 year old male from Philadelphia PA. I don't live with them and have a small record for drugs but have been clean for a few years.

    submitted by /u/ThrowAway072695
    [link] [comments]

    How do you protect an unlikely inheritance while waiting for divorce?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 03:35 PM PST

    My lawyer recently joked with me, saying that as long as I like my current custody situation, time is on my side, just don't win the lottery. My ex wife has been stalling for over a year regarding our divorce, and it only comes down to school choice.

    It dawned on my mother that in the unlikely event that she and my father were to die, the house is worth over a million dollars, and my sister and I would inherit it equally. That sounds like winning the lottery and my ex would be entitled to part of it since we're still married. My ex was served with papers in October of 2019 if that matters.

    Is there a way to protect us against this? I figure I could trust my sister if she was the sole inheritor, but wouldn't that have tax implications if she were to try and restore my stake after a divorce is finalized? Is there a better way? A trust? Some other stipulation?

    Please ask me to provide more details if they are necessary. Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/throw230193
    [link] [comments]

    Someone is claiming to be me, texting my contacts and harassing them

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 12:49 PM PST

    [Oregon] So this morning I woke up to a text from a friend I haven't seen since college, and he was wondering if I had texted his girlfriend (also a friend from college) with a new number. I had not. I haven't talked to my friend or his girlfriend in years.

    So I posted about it to facebook, and multiple women—the vast majority of which I went to college with save for one person I know from my industry—said they received similar texts, all from the same number, which is local.

    Most of them were benign, weird conversations "catching up". A few ended up making references to rape.

    I've tried filing a police report but there's nowhere I can see to put the right information. Identity Theft doesn't work because they didn't technically steal any of my identity. I ended up filing for "suspicious activity" because that's the only place where the report fit. I called non-emergency lines and they said they couldn't do anything.

    Is there anything else I can do to keep this person from impersonating me and harassing people? I've turned my facebook profile to private so strangers can't target my friends list, at least.

    submitted by /u/piratey_goodness
    [link] [comments]

    Neighboring lot just put up a sign stating “Environmental Investigation: Cleanup in progress at this site” - Any recourse?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 09:44 AM PST

    [New Jersey] After a little research it appears that the lot used to be a chemical testing lab and was ripped down about 8 years ago. I just put my life's savings into my first home next door to this lot about one year ago.

    At no point during the sale was I informed that a toxic lot was next door. The lot was listed on a post of my states "Most Toxic Sites" that was posted in 2018, with the lot and the owning company both listed.

    I guess my question is, if there is a major issue, do I have any form of recourse? Specifically, if my lot is contaminated, are they responsible for fixing the issue? Is there additional recourse beyond that? Would it be a recoverable damage if my property value decreases because of this? Is there any recourse against the seller's realtor for not informing me there is a toxic site next door? Should my realtor have known this and made me aware? Property inspector? Surveyor?

    I just feel a little overwhelmed. Planning to take it slow and call the informational numbers listed on the sign, to get more information. If anyone has any environmental law experience, or any insight to anything, I would really, truly appreciate some help.

    submitted by /u/TheyCallMeDominic
    [link] [comments]

    Keeping people of property is becoming difficult. What are the best steps for this?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 04:19 AM PST

    USA, FL. My property is rather large. I'm sandwiched between two subdivisions. The initial plan was to turn this really large plot into sort of a mini neighborhood, but only my house was ever built before the project collapsed. I got the whole property for a song because of this. Needless to say, my house is in the back corner, and I have what amounts to a really long driveway. The other houses didn't even get foundations, so I've planted grass, and in one case set set up a swing set for my kids. I've still got some work to do, as I've kind of been doing things through attrition over the years. I keep finding beer bottles, food wrappers, etc all over. I've put up fencing around the property, and placed "no trespassing" signs but this doesn't really help. I still have a lot of teenagers using is as a hangout spot and there's a large number of tire tracks all over. So far the local PD hasn't been interested in helping. What further steps can I take to keep my property private?

    submitted by /u/AdmirableProfessor81
    [link] [comments]

    I found my guitar that got stolen in 2011, but in Japan. Help?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 04:27 PM PST

    Not sure of this is the right place to post, but...

    I had a guitar stolen back in 2011 in LA. I filed a report with the LAPD at that point, and that was that.

    I always kept the serial number, just in case, and I just found it. However, it's being sold by a dealer located in Japan and I currently live in Germany. So, I have no easy access to the seller, or the police, and probably not a lot going on for me legally speaking :/

    Does anyone know if there's anything I can do about this or is it a lost cause? I'm a little lost in regards of how, and if to approach the situation.

    submitted by /u/jo_rs
    [link] [comments]

    Background investigator sending out SSN to outside email addresses

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 04:22 PM PST

    My partner is currently trying to get a job as a state trooper in SC and has completed the background investigation stage. He has been told by the investigator that the report has been submitted but the background investigator has continued to reach out to people for information on him and has been giving out his full SSN and DOB to every person they've reached out to for information. We have no way of knowing how many people have received this information but have had a couple trusted individuals that told us they received it on every bit of correspondence.

    Our biggest worry is that it will fall in the hands of some random person we don't know who could easily steal his identity but we aren't sure if there is anything we can do about it.

    submitted by /u/jazzykitt
    [link] [comments]

    I have a family member that is in an ongoing civil proceeding. The timeline of the case was when I was child (12-13 years old), I have no info or documents. There is a subpoena out for me & process servers are following me. How can I address this properly? What options do I have? What are my rights?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 10:14 PM PST

    Hello there and thanks for reading. I appreciate all advice that anyone may have. I am located in California, USA.

    Here is the break down. I'm currently 26 years old. My grandfather was on trial for a crime back when I was 12-13. He was convicted and served time. I willingly testified for his defense (we were advised to do this because I may have been subpoenaed anyways) in front of a jury 3x indicating each time under cross examination that I don't know anything, I don't have any information.

    Now flash forward, there is a civil case still occurring all these years later. The other side has sent out subpoenas for me, and my younger brother to make their case for something that happened when I was 12 and he was 9. I again, don't have info, was never involved and feel this is utterly ridiculous. I understand it's just the way these things go I suppose, but I need help.

    What options do I have? What are my rights? What can process servers do to serve me? Can I address this head on and avoid this mess?

    Thank you again. Happy holidays. Hope your weekend has been going better than mine!

    submitted by /u/StrawberryQueef
    [link] [comments]

    I have a stalker who creates social media accounts and uses burner numbers to contact me. What can I do?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 10:08 PM PST

    I started dating my boyfriend almost 2 years ago, and as soon as he first posted a picture of us, 2 or 3 different Instagram accounts starting messaging me about how he was cheating on me and a rapist. Since our relationship was new, I was inclined to believe them, until he begged me to talk to his 2 exes who had gone through the same thing. My boyfriend's only lead on who this "person" might be is someone he talked to online when he was 13-17. They never met in person, never FaceTimed. Basically it seems like a catfish situation.

    Anyways, every few months, something new will come up. This anonymous person (or people?) will contact me or my boyfriend's friends and say the same thing. My boyfriend talked to our university's Title IX officer about a year ago, since the anonymous person threatened to report him, but she said that he would be the first to know if anyone comes forward (and nobody did).

    Now, just tonight, the person used a burner number to text me the same script and then another burner after I blocked the first one. My question is: what are my options? Is there a way to find out who is behind this? Can you get a no-contact order/order of protection against someone you don't know?

    I would really appreciate any advice because it stresses me to no end and it also puts a strain on our relationship. My boyfriend thinks there is nothing to be done besides blocking them, but I don't want to do that for the rest of my life. Thank you in advance!

    Edit: sorry, first post! I am located in the US in the state of Missouri.

    submitted by /u/floras_secret
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove sister girlfriend from my home.

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 03:51 PM PST

    My dad and sister lived together. He bought another house and moved out and asked me to move back into the family home and take over the mortgage and payments and he will just sign it over to me when it's paid off. Sister & girlfriend included because they had nowhere to go. I hesitated but it seemed like the right choice since I was in a smaller place and the kids will only get bigger. She didn't pay my dad rent but once I moved in it was established that they pays water and electricity. I recently found out that she is still selling drugs out of the house. (Why dad didn't stay and gave up on his first home) They have also refused to pay water now. I asked them to pay both and they refused. I asked to split the mortgage and ALL the extra payments for the home in half and they refused. How do I go about removing girlfriend or sister out of the family home? Dad will get involved if needed. I don't want to do this to her but I had said that she needed to stop selling once I move in because of my kids safety. I don't want to seem greedy and kick her out. It WAS the family home. My dad was letting her stay for free. (She works for the government and the girlfriend has her own nail shop.) I thought this was an easy way for me to gain experience with homeownership and it was an easy way out of the trailer I was living in with my kids. Do I even have any rights to try and evict them? I myself and children should just move out huh?

    submitted by /u/Global_Patience6016
    [link] [comments]

    Parents bought a plot of land and built a house on it more than 30 years ago. No Title exists right now, are we going to have problems?

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 07:00 PM PST

    New Jersey, USA. My parents are doing end of life stuff right now and they want to be able to give the house to their kids when they pass. They have a property deed and at the time they bought the house, they made themselves the contractors and sub contracted out all the materials and work related to building the house. They borrowed the money in order to do this as those expenses came up. Right now, they own everything outright, but it wasn't really a mortgage taken out from a bank to buy the house and there was never a Title to the house. So what do we do right now 30 years later and we reconcile the ownership of the house. Do we need to hunt down all the receipts and invoices for the costs? Does the house need to be appraised. Is the property deed enough to distribute ownership between my siblings? What should we do and what should we watch out for?

    submitted by /u/raybrignsx
    [link] [comments]

    Housemate Hell

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 09:30 PM PST

    This is in California. Get settled in; you're in for a long read. TLDR at the bottom.

    There are four of us renting a house, all on the same lease. Three of us have lived together for a few years. We had a vacancy in September. We interviewed applicants, and "B" became the fourth housemate. During the interview process and signing of the papers, we cover the house rules (pertinent to this story - parking and thermostat). The upstairs thermostat is in B's room, and we let him know what the expected temperatures are for each season and the typical bills per month. Parking goes to the two longest-tenured renters.

    Upon move-in, I see he doesn't have much. No bed. He says it's in another town and I offer to help bring it over. He declines. I also offer him all my excess blankets to make his floor-bed more comfy. He declines.

    A week after move-in, the thermostat plummets. B claims that we are trying to burn him out of his room. He also claims that the computers in the other two upstairs rooms (working from home) are heating up the whole house and use tons of electricity. We advise him to buy curtains for sunshade, open his windows at night, and to use a fan. The upstairs temperature is approximately 74, so definitely on the warm side, but he insists on setting the thermostat to 64. He leaves the AC running all night and we only get to turn it off when he leaves to work. We call a house meeting and ask him to leave the thermostat at 70. To address his complaints that the computers use all the electricity, driving up the temperatures and heat, we show data from PG&E that effectively demonstrates that the AC is the cause of the high bills. We have no way to objectively demonstrate that the computers don't heat up the whole house. Yet.

    Fast forward a month or two and I am on lunch break in my kitchen. I notice the ceiling is leaking from where his bathroom is. I run up, knock on the door (even though he's not home), and run in to see his whole bathroom is flooded from the toilet. I don't have the actual time to clean in, but housemate M, a saint, cleans the mess on the spot. We immediately notify the landlord. Later that day, B arrives home and I see him walking with a bucket and a mop. He claims he just wanted to clean his bathroom. Later in texts, he says that he knew the pipes were bad (it's in the contract with the landlord that if we see something wrong with the house, we need to let them know). He also claims that we set him up.

    Crews come to demolish the drywall, tiling, ceiling, etc. They spray biocides and everything else needed to save the framing as best as possible. Fans and dehumidifiers are left running for days, creating tons of noise and heat. Repairs are unable to start for a few weeks due to the fires since so few contractors are available. Inspectors come and conclude that the flooding was caused by the clog and also note the tiniest flapper valve leak ever. This could have been B's saving grace. This effectively puts the blame 50/50 on B and the landlords. The repair bill is estimated to be $15,000. The landlords quickly offer to cover half of the $5,000 deductible, while Brian is expected to cover the other half. He refuses to admit any fault, blaming us others for setting him up, saying that the inspectors are corrupt, and also that he knew there was something wrong with the pipes, and also saying that we told him there was something wrong with the plumbing when we showed the house. To cover our bases, we called the previous renter and made sure he had no issues in his bathroom when he rented.

    There's a lull in tension for a while, as nothing happens due to no available contractors. B has to use the toilet that M and I share since his is removed. We continue to ask that he maintain the thermostat at a reasonable temperature, but he refuses. Energy costs are about 4x their normal price. Come fall, he starts cranking the heat, which we ask to be kept at 70. It's consistently at 77+. The temperatures outside are beautiful and so we keep our room windows open and the hallway windows open for the cross-breeze, which he insists make his room freezing. The measured temperature when he's gone is usually around 70-72. We open/close windows as needed to stay in this window.

    More bills come and as we switch to using heat consistently (gas), our gas bill for mid-November to mid December is 3-4x what it was the year prior ($34 vs $110). The latest one was $200, vs about $60 the year before. Further analysis of the electric bill shows that even with two of us working from home, we still are using less electricity than in 2019. We continue to appeal to him with reason. He begins to show spite, saying that any time he sees a window open that the thermostat will go up. As of today he had the thermostat at 83.

    Once construction begins, tensions arise anew. In our contract, with 24 hours notice, the landlord is allowed to have repair crews enter the house. Otherwise, they can enter from 8am until 7pm I think. B does not find this acceptable and argues with them to make it 9am. Every day that crews are here, he complains of things such as tools left behind, nails on the floor, etc. He also accused them of stealing his Ace Hardware bucket (probably an accident considering the work that was going on. We validate his concerns and bring them to the landlord, who brings them to the contractor. He simultaneously accuses the crew of stomping on his still-floor bed, pillow, trying to kill him with asbestos, and other things. Finally when it's time to tile the bathroom, he has to stay off it for a day to let the grout dry. He refuses this and somehow the landlords talk him down.

    I should also mention that around this time he decides to stop paying internet, since he "doesn't need it." It's part of our utilities, which is in the rental contract.

    The temperature issue and excess bills are becoming insane. As reason has clearly not worked so far, this is my side's only morally gray action. As we are allowed into his room to adjust the thermostat, the landlord grants us permission to make a modification to the room - we put a thermostat cage around the thermostat, lock it, and set it at 70. Nevertheless, B does not appreciate this measure, and ends up ripping out the thermostat.

    There's a lot more nonsense that I didn't include for the sake of brevity, believe it or not. Also probably a lot of stuff that I forgot. Parking for example I mentioned at the top, but never explained. The landlords have been extremely supportive and B seemed to set his behavior straight for a few days when they threatened legal action. I know I haven't done a great job of explaining their involvement, but they've tried speaking with him and his word is good for nothing. I've offered to take over legal stuff from here because it seems that it would be legally problematic for them to only evict him since we're on the same agreement.

    The other night, I called for a house meeting. It stayed on track for all of 3 minutes. It ended up with him getting drunk and trying to provoke me for about three hours, boasting about his HS accomplishments (he's 38), ranting (indirectly) about how much his life sucks, verbally abusing myself and renter A (M was sick and did not attend), and threw some table decorations. Finally he became threatening and I called the police since A and I were worried. Police came, talked to A and myself. They talked to B, but he yelled and verbally abused them as well. The police stayed for a while, gave us advice, but couldn't do anything since he hadn't committed a crime (which we knew, but non-emergency dispatch said they'd come just to make sure we felt safe). They left, and then B went outside screaming and ranting (this is around midnight). He later came back at 5am banging on A's window since he didn't have his key. She answered the door with pepper spray at the ready. That night was intended for us to settle our differences as adults. B had not even replied to previous offers of splitting the deductible amongst us four, since technically we're all on the agreement together.

    Finally, today, on behalf of my fellow renters and with the knowledge of the landlord, I left an agreement for him to sign/turn down. Basically it says he agrees to pay $4700 to his fellow renters for the deductible (we're paying it at this time), pay January rent (because there's no way we'll be able to get a renter in time), vacate the premises by the end of the year with no further damage, and pay for several other things that'll have to be taken care of after he leaves. He has about 36 hours to look at it and respond. A non-response will be considered a no.

    If he does not agree to the terms of the agreement, I intend to take legal action. He doesn't know this. I'm thinking small claims, but civil court could be interesting because he's the kind of guy that can't keep his mouth shut, and I'm sure he'd end up in contempt of court. We have billing data, damage reports, and texts backing up every claim I've made. These have been the longest three-and-a-half months of my life. Is my side in the right? Can he be required to show up to small claims court or no? Advice?

    TLDR: fellow renter doesn't pay his bills, caused $15,000 of damage to the house and won't even pay a share of the deductible, has caused our electric and gas usage to quadruple, is verbally abusive, and had the police called on him because he was becoming threatening. We're all on the same rental agreement. Do I have any legal standing to take him to court and collect what he owes (and make him leave)?

    submitted by /u/focs19
    [link] [comments]

    I won an online auction I never bid on

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 09:04 PM PST

    I was watching some guns on morphy auctions website and added them to my watchlist. I never bid on anything, I was only watching them. I checked in the next day and found that I was the high bidder, at $4250 and I had won the lot for a really nice gun. I had no intention of bidding and the only way I can imagine it could've been an error on my end was if I was scrolling on my phone and it glitched and clicked a bid button. Any other auction site I've been on has a confirmation window that pops up prior to your bid being placed. I talked to two customer service people on the phone and one said that sometimes that happens because all you have to do is click the one button, but when I pointed out how stupid it is that there's no confirmation she got kinda funny and backtracked and said well there is a confirmation.

    Now they're saying that I have to either pay the full invoice (over 5200) and they can sell it on consignment for 0% commission, that will still cost me like $1000 on taxes and premium and I'll get nothing to show for it and I'm at the mercy of the high bid on the next auction. Or I can just pay them the premium and they'll auction it again.

    My real question, is an I truly liable for this? And even if I am, are they going to come after me over the $900ish that they'd make? What is gonna happen if I simply refuse to pay?

    I'm in michigan, I believe the auction is in pennsylvania.

    submitted by /u/WILKESwithouttheE
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment