• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 16, 2020

    Legal Advice - CA: Can I tear down my fence that happens to be structurally supporting my neighbor’s fence?

    Legal Advice - CA: Can I tear down my fence that happens to be structurally supporting my neighbor’s fence?


    CA: Can I tear down my fence that happens to be structurally supporting my neighbor’s fence?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 08:21 AM PST

    California.

    I own a home. My backyard is surrounded by an ugly, old fence that I want to replace. My neighbor's front and back yard is surrounded by their own fence. (It's actually a 5' stucco wall with a gate, and it's a single contiguous wall around their whole property, but I doubt that matters.) Their wall has some serious issues, seemingly due to water damage. It isn't literally falling over right now, but is sort of wobbly.

    Our properties are very close together. So close, in fact, that the horizontal portion of our fence, which closes off our backyard, is literally bolted to their fence (and our house). It appears to me that, due to their fence sagging, our horizontal bit of fence is quite literally propping their wall up, at this point. If we take our fence out, there's a chance part or all of their wall will collapse.

    The neighbor's house is occupied by renters, who are super nice and friendly. By happenstance, we actually know who owns the house, as well... It's another one of our neighbors. She's... Not as easy to deal with.

    If we tear out our fence and our neighbor's stucco wall collapses, could we be liable? (Similarly, if we replace our fence and theirs later collapses onto ours, are they liable?) Do I have some other liability here if I just build my fence and ignore the very, very obvious safety issue created by my neighbor's fence, but possibly made worse by my behavior (taking out my fence) on my own property?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lyr4527
    [link] [comments]

    My employer required me to do OSHA training in a room full of maskless individuals.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 02:43 PM PST

    I recently had to do 10 hours of OSHA training for work. I expected a computer lab with a few people or so, but the training was given by a teacher in a small room full of about 2 dozen people. I was the only person wearing a mask in a poorly ventilated room for 10 hours. It's been a day since, I'm waiting a few days to get a test, but I'm curious; if I come down with covid, is there any thing I can do regarding whistleblowing or lawsuits? I feel I was forced into an unsafe environment and my employer would be at fault for something.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mygovernmentname
    [link] [comments]

    NE: My sister's husband died and now his ex-girlfriend has popped up saying he has two children and she would like money for support.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 01:20 PM PST

    Posting for my sister who doesn't know how to reddit.

    My sister was was with her husband for 5 years, married for 3, no children. Before their relationship he was in a relationship with (but never married to) another woman - my sister does not know much about their relationship.

    My sister's husband had a successful career and made good money, but shortly after their marriage he was diagnosed with a serious illness. He immediately went into aggressive treatment and had to stop working due to the side affects, but the treatment was unsuccessful and he never returned to work. During that time my sister supported them both. He received some money from disability insurance during this time. He eventually passed away 10 months ago.

    Prior to his death he and my sister saved a large sum of money over the course of their relationship which they used to buy a home in cash prior to his death. So - he did not leave much of anything behind and his "will" has already been settled.

    My sister has now been informed that his ex-girlfriend has two children who she says he fathered, and she filed for child support prior to learning he is deceased. Now she says that she plans to take legal action against his estate for a share of his assets for her children.

    My sister is worried about two things:

    (1) She is not confident this woman is telling the truth. This is definitely a woman they dated, but he at least was never aware of having children and my sister does not believe the children look anything like him. I know this is an emotional response BUT it begs the question of proving paternity. He was cremated, my sister has nothing remaining containing his DNA, and he does not have known living relatives whose DNA can be used for comparison. How do we know if this woman is telling the truth - or if they aren't his kids and she is just trying to pull a fast one?

    (2) My sister is worried about the possibility of a lawsuit. They had just purchased a home, so they had little in cash except their emergency fund. He had nothing left in his retirement fund and had a modest life insurance policy which my sister was the recipient of. Is there a scenario in which my sister has to dig into her own pockets to fund "child support' or whatever you would call it in this scenario?

    For the record, my sister did have a brief consultation with a family attorney who was recommended in our area for child support matters. He told her not to worry about it until she gets legal papers, and that it's unlikely to go anywhere at this point as her husband is literally deceased. He did help her with letting the other state's child support folks know that he is deceased and sending a copy of the death certificate. He said if she receives anything from any lawyer, or anything from a child support agency, to come back and talk to him again.

    She appreciates his advice and was calmed by it, but she is still nervous about this. I'm hoping instead of wasting another lawyer's time with a second opinion that may be the exact same, you all might be able to give some insight as to whether she should be concerned / do anything.

    Thank you all from both of us.

    submitted by /u/gettintiredup
    [link] [comments]

    Not hired because they wanted someone "early career". Is this age discrimination?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 07:19 AM PST

    I applied for a job at a public university in North Carolina. I had an interview that went well and met all the posted job requirements and experience. I received an email a few weeks later saying they felt the job would "ideally benefit a candidate that is earlier in their career" and they wouldn't be moving forward with my application.

    I'm in my 50's, have all the requested skills and experience. It seems like I wasn't considered because I'm not early career (a.k.a. "old").

    Is there enough here to at least dig a little deeper and talk with an attorney about whether this meets an age discrimination standard?

    [Edited to add location]

    submitted by /u/re_mapping
    [link] [comments]

    Paying child support to a woman who doesn’t have custody of the children

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 07:17 PM PST

    I'll try to keep this short. In Ohio if you have children with someone and you do not live with them, you must pay them child support. On paper, I have two children with the same woman though only one of them are actually mine. I was court ordered 4 years ago to pay child support to this woman for the two children. About 3 years ago she proved herself unable to take care of the children so they went to live with their uncle and his girlfriend in Alabama. The children's mother still lives in Ohio (not sure where) and because I don't make enough money to pay for a lawyer, I'm still to this day paying her child support even though she doesn't have the children. Child support won't tell me anything as far as what steps I can take to stop paying her and I even tried to call lawyers in Ohio to get information on what can be done but they told me I'd have to get ahold of a lawyer in Alabama. I honestly don't know what else to do. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Who would I talk to about all this? I'm tired of paying this degenerate for children she doesn't even have in her care

    submitted by /u/No_Cat_5884
    [link] [comments]

    GA Apartment complex has given us a welcome letter, we’ve signed the lease, gotten power and insurance and now they refuse to answer our calls or emails and say they gave no record of us moving in.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 02:50 PM PST

    My boyfriend and I are supposed to move in this Friday. We emailed our agent asking if a certain time to come In was okay and an autoMated response came back saying she's out of the office until Monday. This is not the first time this has happened and it took us 2 weeks to get our welcome letter.

    We don't know what to do. We called and they claim there is nobody in the office and they don't know when they will be there. That there is no record we are supposed to be moving in this Friday, despite the welcome letter and lease we signed.

    What can we do? We've already paid for all this stuff and now we feel screwed.

    submitted by /u/CarsonAnaDaily
    [link] [comments]

    New mom looking for advice

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 06:31 PM PST

    My fiance of 4 years, together 8 years just asked me to move out. I am 8 months pregnant and I learned he has been talking with another woman for the last 3 months and is now dating her one week later. I am very nervous for any court and custody hearings that happen after my daughter is born. He says he is going to fight to get her as much as possible and I am really nervous. He kicked me out while I was 8 months pregnant, I had to move back to NY with family after living in Vermont and i had to quit my job because he kicked me out and I had no where to go in VT. what are the chances that he will win in a court battle, even though he has a good job and very nice place to live, and I now am living with family and have no job.

    submitted by /u/expectantmother11
    [link] [comments]

    Sold a car on Craigslist; new owner did not register or insure it and got into a car accident

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 10:25 AM PST

    The subject pretty much says it all ... I sold a several months ago and filled out a Vehicle Transfer Notice with our State DMV. I removed the car from my insurance policy.

    Fast forward a few months, I got an email from my insurance asking about details regarding a car accident that happened last week. I called them and sorted it out with them; sent a copy of the Vehicle Transfer Notice and a scan of the title showing that it had been signed over the purchaser.

    I just got a call from a lawyer representing the party that was hit in the accident last week. He was going to name me in the suit, but wanted to verify if the car had indeed been sold since our insurance had declined the claim. I told him it had, and he asked that I send him documentation (Vehicle Transfer Notice) proving as such so he wouldn't name me in the suit.

    My question is: is there any issue with me sending the attorney this information? The attorney does not represent me and is only representing the party that was hit in the accident. Please advise as I obviously don't have a legal background.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/OwnEngineer
    [link] [comments]

    My son failed a hair drug test because my ex smokes weed around him. CPS has already opened a case on her and gave me information for a lawyer.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 08:52 PM PST

    Assuming she fails her hair drug test (which she definitely will), and I take her to court to try and get custody of my son, can she legally keep me from seeing him until then? And if she tries to stay clean temporarily can she request to take another drug test before the actual court date?

    She's been a very heavy weed smoker for the past few years, but I've been scared to take action because i'm afraid of losing complete custody of my son. I'm supposed to see him every other weekend, that's written in our original custody agreement. But he's mostly been with me because she couldn't handle taking him to school and his grades were doing terribly while living with her. She missed out on almost a whole year with him because she was kicked out of her moms house (where she currently still lives). Not to mention he says she doesnt hang out with him while he's with her and she spends hours smoking in her bathroom. She doesn't buy him new clothes. His whole wardrobe at her home are clothes he's had since he was 5. He's 7 now.

    But i'm worried that if she can manage to stay clean long enough to redo her drug test, will it all be somehow excused and can she take action to try and take away the little custody I do have?

    I live in Fort Worth, Texas.

    submitted by /u/jennuxs
    [link] [comments]

    $80,000 charge on my credit card (not my purchase).. credit score just dropped 195 points in one day.. legal action against those responsible? Need advice and help please!

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 05:10 PM PST

    I've had credit cards for almost 20 years. Until yesterday, and after many years of "work" and following financial advice, I have had a credit score of 820 "Excellent." I have never missed a payment. Never had other problems. Basically, I have several credit cards, and I pay them off every month for almost 20 years.

    So a large company that shall remain unnamed at this point made an erroneous charge on my credit card of $80,000. I did not authorize this charge and it is clearly a mistake. The largest purchase I have ever made in my entire life is $1,000. Somebody obviously put the wrong amount, or misused my credit card info, or perhaps there was a data breach and my card was stolen. Right now we don't know for sure and can only guess.

    The charge appeared on my card last week. I immediately called the credit union. We had a good 'laugh' about it on the phone and about how outrageous this is and obviously it is a mistake. I was told don't worry the charge will be removed in the next 2 - 3 days and a dispute has been filed. Don't worry.

    That was one week ago. I have not received any phone call or e-mail from the credit union where I have my credit card. Today I started receiving e-mail alerts about how my credit score has fallen by 195 and 196 points.. in one day.

    This is unbelievable. So a few more details.. this company that charge my personal card $80,000.. I was told they put the charge in "manually" whatever that means. And that is why it posted instantly and didn't even go to pending. Uhhhh okay.. in 20 years nothing like this has ever happened before.

    The credit limit on this credit card is only $10,000. That is the maximum credit limit on this card. I was told there is some flexibility of "$500 or so" by customer service reps. So how in the fucking holy hell did an $80,000 charge end up getting approved and posting to it?

    The credit union where I have my credit card cannot answer me.

    Oh, and not only that but this company had my OLD, CANCELED account info on file. It was an old, cancelled account as the credit union switched from American Express to Visa in the summer. They had the old card info. How on Earth could a company charge $80,000 ($70,000 over my credit limit) that got approved and posted onto an old, canceled card? How is any of this possible???

    I would like legal advice. Do I have any legal case against the credit union or against the company that charged my card $80,000? The charge was unauthorized by me. They just caused my credit score that I worked for 20 years to achieve to suddenly drop 196 points within one week. Is there any legal action I can take?

    I filed a CFPB complaint today after waiting a week for the charge to be removed.

    I'll add one last thing. Even though it was confirmed that the company that charged 80k only had my old account info, but when I called the first day to complain about the obviously fraudulent / fake charge.. the credit union immediately canceled my current card, even though the current card was not affected. They did NOT ask me or tell me until after it was canceled. Now I'm stuck in a situation without that card.

    I'd like as much information and advice as I can get please about this situation.

    submitted by /u/telestitch
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor is trying to get me arrested over a FedEx package that they claim was delivered here and it was not.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 09:40 PM PST

    Last Thursday, one of my neighbors down the street came to my door looking for her package that FedEx says they delivered but she didn't receive. She saw packages on my front porch and thought hers was up there also. Well, everything I received was mine that I ordered. I informed her of that and she didn't believe me and almost refused to leave my porch.

    Fast forward to this morning, I had a police officer at my door looking for that package and claims FedEx told them it was delivered to my house and that they described my house and all. I looked everywhere and it was not delivered here. I tried contacting FedEx but they will not give me answers without the tracking number which I obviously don't have. The officer didn't believe a word I said and he tells me he's turning it over to the prosecutor! I have no idea what to do as I don't have this package and I don't know how to prove that it's not here. How can I get arrested for this?! I guess the missing package has a video game in it for their child. I even offered to go buy that game for them as I know how it feels for FedEx to misplace packages because they do it to me all the time. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

    ETA: I am in Indiana.

    submitted by /u/alpacabunss
    [link] [comments]

    Girl files complaint because I asked for consent?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 08:22 PM PST

    TLDR at bottom.

    Location: Boston Mass.

    About a year ago (October) I met this girl on a dating app. We met at a bar for th first date, it was crowded and we sat at the counter. She was shy but cute. It was clear we were both interested in doing more than just talking. (She kept touching my leg and arm and calling me cute) But I had late night plans with friends, so we decided to hang out again the next night.

    The next night: She came over to my place. We watched a movie, I made popcorn. Things heat up, we are naked doing the thing. At one point I slowly moved my hand to her neck (did not squeeze) and asked if she liked it. She said no. I moved my hand away from her neck immediately and asked her what she liked and she said missionary. So that's what we did.

    Nothing of note happened after that.

    The next day I remember her texting me that she was uncomfortable with my hand on her neck because she worked in a court system and saw alot of domestic abuse and date rape cases. Immediately my Spidey-Sense starts tingling.

    I apologize and we have a long talk about boundaries and what we are looking for. I wasn't looking for anything serious and she was okay with that. She was sexually inexperienced but open to try more things when comfortable.

    But, she asks if we can meet in a public place for he next date instead of my apartment. Again, Spider Sense tingles. But I oblige, thinking: "She's a nice girl. I scared her. I'll take her out for dinner, hopefully she will recognize I wasn't trying to be weird. This consent/boundaries conversation was good."

    So we go on another date. An employee of mine happened to be at the same bar we went to and came over to say hello. She barely even cracks a smile at them. At this point I realized I'm not interested anymore. But she asks to go back to my place after the bar. My head says no but my other head says yes.

    We go back to my place. Have somewhat okay sex. I immediately regret it and after nothing of note, she leaves. From my recollection, this is the last time I hung out with her or even communicated with her.

    I never hear from her. I figured we were on the same page with not feeling any actual connection. A year goes by and I deleted her number and our texts. (If I don't talk to a girl from a dating app after a while/we end things/they ghost me: I delete the convo and number. What's the point in keeping them?)

    Then, a year and a few days after the last time I see this chick. I get a call from a Police Detective asking me if I remember the girl. Spidey Sense is fucking blaring at this point.

    I asked if I needed a lawyer. I was assured there were no charges. I reluctantly say I remember the girl.

    Turns out this chick went to the Assistant DAs office and filed a complaint about me. The Detective was asked to follow up with me. The complaint was that I "put my hand on her neck during intercourse. Then asked her if it was okay. When she said 'no' I took my hand off her neck. Then the second time we had sex, she can't remember if she told me to 'slow down' or not."

    I shit you not, that's the whole complaint. She said she was uncomfortable that I even asked about putting my hand on her neck.The Detective asked me if I remembered these events. I said I remembered the neck thing but that I can't confirm something the girl can't remember telling me.

    I told the detective that we had a conversation about consent and boundaries and they responded with, "Yes, we can see that in the texts." This chick screenshot year old texts and sent them with the complaint.

    When I asked what the texts said, the detective told me that the texts were all of the two of us talking about having open communication during sex and making sure we were both comfortable. The Detective asked when was the last time I had spoken to the girl and confirmed that my answer lined up with the text screenshots.

    I asked why I was even being called since this seemed like a non-issue. I asked for consent to something, I was not given it, I did not do it. The Detective hinted that they agreed with my assessment of the situation but said it was the ADAs duty to have all complaints followed up and just needed to make sure that her story and my story matched up .

    Okay that's understandable.

    But here are my questions ...

    1. What legs does this have to stand on. As I said, I asked for consent, was not given it and did not preform the act. Can someone be charged with "making someone feel uncomfortable by asking permission"???

    2. Assuming common sense prevails and the ADA does not see this as an actual case, can the girl get a lawyer and go after me for.....I have no idea... Some sort of damages?

    3. Can I get a restraining order against her if/when the ADAs office decides this is not an actual issue and throws "the case" out?

    And I know. Don't give information to police without a lawyer present. I didn't confirm or deny any details until I heard the full complaint and realized all the facts are true and that it looked like a non-issue. Just a really bizarre complaint.

    TLDR: Hooked up with a chick. Asked for consent for a position, was not given consent, did not preform position. She filed a complaint against me because my asking for consent made her "uncomfortable.

    submitted by /u/DatingAppsSuckBalls
    [link] [comments]

    I hit, they ran. And then they came back and accused me of running.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 12:05 PM PST

    US-OHIO

    I got a 2014 Hyundai Elantra about a year ago and yesterday I rear-ended somebody while getting on a highway. They stopped to yield and I did not expect them to, so I was at fault. Anyway, they immediately ran. Somebody else called 911 and explained what happened and I got to their car during the call and told them my info. I explained what happened to the officer when he arrived. He decided not to cite me and offered to drive me to work. While we were waiting for the tow driver to finish so I could pay some guy comes up to the passenger window and says I hit him and ran, he tried to chase but couldn't, and I came back (for... some reason?). Obviously this is very easily proven wrong due to my voice on the 911 call. What I am worried about is my liability in Ohio law. I have heard that if not cited and the other person drives away you don't have to tell the insurance it was your fault. However, they should have access to the incident report, right? Which clearly says I was at fault. I also explained it to the initial insurance rep (Farmers). Also, the guy came back! Nobody saw his plates, but I was on the record correctly saying what car I thought he was driving. Is my fault lawfully removed even after explained that I rear ended him and he came back, or is it up to the insurance?

    Update: the police report was finally posted online and the other person was listed. They were driving with a suspended license. It also says they knowingly left the scene. Does that change anything?

    submitted by /u/aidanwade_
    [link] [comments]

    Job that laid me off 2 weeks ago still has my equipment?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 07:59 AM PST

    (California) A couple of weeks ago I was laid off in a manner that required me to leave immediately without getting any of my belongings including camera equipment that I depend on for my kind of work. Now, I was told I would be sent my belongings but it is going on 3 weeks now and I've not been given my belongings. What can I do to escalate this? They are holding my equipment hostage and it's leaving me unable to do any work. I have money saved but I'm being forced to use my savings because they have not given me my stuff to be able to work. Any advice is appreciated

    submitted by /u/sergioramirezfilms
    [link] [comments]

    Squatter locked me out.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 06:32 PM PST

    Im in Ohio. If the squatter is the one to change the locks (he broke the front lock and changed the back) can he be arrested? I no longer have access to my house.

    submitted by /u/kingnickey
    [link] [comments]

    Still emoloyed full time at a bakery in NY, but havn't gotten any hours in the past 2 weeks. Can I claim unemployment?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 03:06 PM PST

    I work fulltime for a bakery in Ithaca, NY. Due to covid, they've reduced everyone's hours a ton. Mine have been reduced so heavily that i went from working an average of 36 hours a week to 0 (sometimes i'll work 9 if i'm lucky). I read that you can file for partial unemployment, however the NY unemployment website never gave me the option to claim partial/inform them that i'm still technically employed. Can I still file for unemployment? I don't want to get in trouble for fraud or anything like that, and I can't get a hold of a representative over the telephone.

    submitted by /u/zendro22
    [link] [comments]

    Will someone sue the pants off me if I start a business?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 07:16 PM PST

    So I'm about to start selling skincare products on Etsy. I live in St. Paul, MN. Because I'm just some person writing this on Reddit, you know, these won't be approved by the FDA and won't be manufactured in a laboratory.

    I know how to sterilize equipment, I use high-quality ingredients and I'm almost pathologically careful when it comes to making my products because I care that someone gets what they pay for. But I'm wondering how I can protect myself from lawsuits and other repercussions in the event that there is some unforeseen issue. This may be incredibly naive, but I'm currently exploring whether Etsy assumes some of the responsibility in the event of a problem, but further review is needed.

    I'm only vaguely aware of becoming an LLC, but I don't understand all of what that entails or how protected you are. I don't know if there are other steps beyond this, either.

    So... what I'm saying is, I have no egotism to get in the way of this and I'll be incredibly grateful for any insight you have. Seriously, if you're like "this person is gonna wind up dead from their own stupidity" feel free to lecture me into the ground. I'm just happy you took the time to read this. Thank you.

    EDIT: the bot told me to add my location

    submitted by /u/Hummingbird327
    [link] [comments]

    CA - Landlord is trying to evict us for toddler noises

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 12:48 PM PST

    Just moved into an apartment (duplex) about a month back and have been receiving noise complaints from the next door neighbor due to 'constant pounding on shared walls'. The source of this noise is actually our toddler who does some bursts of running here and there and not any pounding on the shared walls. Basically, a toddler being a toddler. Our son usually wakes up at 7 AM and sleeps at 9 PM so the noise he makes is during normal hours. Also, it is not like my son is running constantly for 20 to 30 min straight. It's a burst of running and jumping here and there throughout the day.

    I admit - our son does have a heavy foot and is still learning to walk and run softly. We're trying to teach him not to run and jump as much inside the house, but it is not something that will magically happen overnight.

    Apparently, our neighbor cannot handle any noise and has been bombarding the landlord with complaints since we've moved in. The neighbor demanded additional layers of sheet rock to be installed to reduce the noise (which the landlord has complied with) but that hasn't helped much since the primary factor of the noise is coming from the floor (which I feel is very poorly constructed - no noise is dampened at all). The neighbor has even called the cops on us but the cops pretty much said there is nothing out of the ordinary since it is a toddler just doing toddler things within normal hours.

    Now after a month of complaints, the landlord has sent us a 'cure or quit' notice and is pretty much threatening eviction because we are being a 'nuisance' which is a breach of our lease.

    It's been quite a stressful month to say the least and we are actually looking for a new place to move out to since it is unreasonable to continue to live like this for the long haul but I was wondering if the landlord has any weight behind this notice. Can we be evicted because our toddler is running and jumping around like a normal active toddler?

    submitted by /u/dirtytofu
    [link] [comments]

    My Next Door Junkie Neighbor Has Been Harassing and Threatening my Family for Years, What Can I Do?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 05:11 PM PST

    I am a 17 year old male from New York City. I live with both of my parents and 2 loving pets. My next door neighbor, a 74 year old male drug addict has been harassing and threatening my family for years. The most recent events include spitting on my father from his balcony, threatening to kill me and break both my legs with a bat, and having his junkie girlfriend assault my mom by throwing firecrackers at her. Each of these events have been recorded, documented, and the appropriate reports have been filed with the police. The issue is, these things never stop. He has not been arrested or reprimanded in any way. We even attempted to file a restraining order against him (as he has harassed us enough times to file one). We live in a condo with a HOA, but it is incredibly corrupt and refuses to do anything about it. What are my options here? It seems that the police either can't or won't do anything about it, and the HOA is useless.

    submitted by /u/o03j
    [link] [comments]

    [SC] Greedy brother was given durable power of attorney (DPOA). I don't trust him.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 06:51 PM PST

    I was browsing the public records when I found that my oldest brother has DPOA over my mother. My mother is 87 and very well off, and in the past my brother has made suggestions that he's in line for a big payday when it's time to divvy up the estate. He just can't wait to get his hands on that money - about $6.5 million when my father passed in 2016. In the past he's been very manipulative of my parents and has used them to finance his lavish lifestyle while the rest of us have had to work hard to earn what we have. When the family needed him the most he was nowhere to be found; often travelling the world on my parent's dime. I don't trust him to act in a manner that does not benefit himself.

    I'm wondering what the potential for abuse of DPOA might be (or may already be occurring), and if I should be worried enough to bring this up to my mother and the rest of the family. Here is an excerpt from the DPOA form that worries me in particular: https://i.imgur.com/dkvStyJ.jpeg

    1. Can my brother use DPOA to affect the distribution of the estate? My mother does not have a will (and often jokes that if she had a will someone would kill her for the money), so will he be able to award himself more than his fair share (four-way split) in the event my mother dies?
    2. Can my brother use DPOA to make financial decisions on behalf of my mother that may benefit him too, such as jointly buying property? If he could do it, would JTWROS would mean he would retain the property upon her death?
    3. If my mother dies without a will, will he be able to dictate how the assets are distributed? Or will it be an equitable split no matter what?
    submitted by /u/rthrowaway891
    [link] [comments]

    New York: Signed a lease for my son’s off-campus college apartment and the landlord is now asking for 1st month’s rent in addition to the one month security already paid.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 05:40 PM PST

    Even though tenancy doesn't start till 7/5/2021. Their wording is such that it seems not to be required to be paid now but at the same time they're being persistent about getting it paid now.

    submitted by /u/-0x0-0x0-
    [link] [comments]

    Online Auction House misrepresented what they sent me

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 06:13 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'll try and keep this short. I bought 5 lots of signed Easton Press leather bound books for a few thousand dollars. The listing specified "Near Fine Signed Easton Press". The auction house insisted on a wire transfer as it was over a certain value.

    There were multiple issues with this purchase: 1. 3 of the Books were Signed "Franklin Library" Books (A lesser valued publication) 2. 1 Easton Book was not even signed despite being listed as such 3. Several books were severely damaged despite being listed as "Near Fine" 4. An entire lot was shipped to the wrong person causing a major delay

    They found the missing lot and are shipping me it to me but they only offered $100 back for the damages despite the damage being worth several hundreds. Given no other choice I accepted the $100 to resolve issue 3.

    The remaining problem is the 4 books that were not accurately listed (Issues 1 and 2). I've asked for an appropriate refund for these 4 books since they lied about the publication and one was not signed. They are refusing to refund those 4 and it's obvious that they are sick of me.

    Do I have legal recourse for these issues 1 and 2? What should I do?

    The auction house is in Virginia and I'm in Florida.

    Tldr; I bought Signed books for several thousands of dollars and 3 were a knock off brands while 1 was not even signed. The auction house is refusing a refund despite their listing title and description being incorrect. Do I have legal recourse?

    submitted by /u/MrSlapYourGrandma
    [link] [comments]

    Wife's job offer company just sent a rescission agreement/request form, after pushing the start date back over 6 months. We move in 3 days for this job and she already quit her other job for this new one.

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 10:57 AM PST

    We are residents of NY and the company is in Ohio.

    Questions: Is there a way to ask for more money from them to cover the lost time due to the push backs, quitting, moving, buy out of the apartment, etc? My job is remote anyway, so there is no reason for us to be down there except for this job.

    We're also concerned that she shows up and they just fire her for something or lay her off (and we lose all that anyway and get nothing)?

    Background: I'll try to stick to facts only here, but I'm somewhat emotional given other things going on right now so apologies in advance.

    Back in fall of 2019 my wife received a job offer for an absolutely great job at what was assumed to be a blue chip company to start in early summer 2020. Giving industry or what she does would doxx the company as they are both incredibly specific, especially for the state.

    Mid-spring they told her that the start date would push back a couple of months due to COVID. She picked up some freelancing gigs to help us hold over.

    About a month before she was supposed to start, she got another email saying they were pushing her back again and giving her a choice of either January or July 2021. We took January, but she started looking other places. She was able to find a job quicky back then fortunately in a fairly unrelated field.

    About a month ago she had a great talk with the recruiter about being being selected for a pretty prestigious team inside the organization and she got to meet who was supposed to her new boss.

    So we toured some apartments and found one and she put in her notice with her employer.

    Come to today, we are packing this apartment to move to the new one before the holidays and give us some time to settle in before this job starts.

    She got an email saying that they are offering her a rescission agreement (one that covers less than half of even the apartment buyout, let alone, moving costs and her finding a new job or sitting on another job, the relocation and educational expenses fully paid as she was promised, etc). They offered her to start like normal as well.

    submitted by /u/BuildUsUp
    [link] [comments]

    Philadelphia, PA: Am I obligated to shovel the sidewalk of my AirBnB?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 12:47 PM PST

    I'm staying in an AirBnB in Philadelphia where it's snowing right now. Am I legally required to shovel the sidewalk in the morning since I'm staying here or does the owner of the Airbnb need to come here to do it?

    submitted by /u/CompSci_Guy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment