• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 11, 2020

    Legal Advice - My Father died 4 months ago, my sister hid it from my brother and I, and we just found 2 days ago. She had him cremated w/o our knowledge and tried to cash in life insurance.. What are our options?

    Legal Advice - My Father died 4 months ago, my sister hid it from my brother and I, and we just found 2 days ago. She had him cremated w/o our knowledge and tried to cash in life insurance.. What are our options?


    My Father died 4 months ago, my sister hid it from my brother and I, and we just found 2 days ago. She had him cremated w/o our knowledge and tried to cash in life insurance.. What are our options?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:13 AM PDT

    [PA] I get a call 2 days ago telling me that my Father has died back in March. I had no idea he was dead. I track down my sisters number (we havent talked in 3 years) and confront her about it. She said she felt no reason to tell me, my brother, or my Aunt (Dad's sister). No one in my family knew except her. The only reason we found out is because she texted my aunt asking for my deceased Grandmoms social security # so she could cash in his life insurance policy.

    She also had him cremated without anyones knowledge, and is now trying to claim we owe her $4,000 for cremation costs. Its to my knowledge that Pennsylvania requires all living children decide on a burial action together?

    I also called the life insurance company, as he had no will, and they told me no action could be taken without a death certificate (that she already has, but since none of us had knowledge about the death, we don't have)

    It seems to me like she is trying to hide the death in order to collect all life insurance as her own.

    What are my brother & I's options?

    Thanks a bunch

    *edit* I have since called the funeral home, and the Funeral Home Director called me back from his personal cellphone and we talked for about an hour. It turns out he did this all as a favor to my sister because she was friends with his wife. He stated numerous times "I'm gonna be honest, you could have my ass over this", then tried to act all buddy buddy with me. My sister could of easily contacted me as my number has been the same for 10 years, and she has seen my mother numerous times in person since my Father died. The funeral home director could of contacted my Aunt, or just googled my fathers name and since I'm named after him I would of popped up.

    edit 2

    Hey guys: So My dad did not have a will, and the listed beneficiary to the life insurance was my grandmom (who is also dead). So my sister was trying to get my grandmoms social sec # and death certificate in order to take over the life insurance policy.

    Also I cant understand why my father was cremated, as he has had a funeral plot already bought and paid for next to his parents that we just had to pay to uncover and put him in.

    My brother and I are also a bit pissed that he was cremated without our knowledge or say so. Do we have any sort of wrongful cremation rights?

    There is also the issue of my sister claiming we owe her $4,000 for the cremation expenses as neither of us approved of it, never heard of cremations costing that much, and the funeral home still has his ashes.

    submitted by /u/Pill_Murray_
    [link] [comments]

    Arrested for accessing legally owned property. Now what?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 03:29 PM PDT

    My dad bought a 40-acre piece of property in a rural town in the US in 1980. He lived on the property for 20-years. After he moved, he continued to frequently visit the property he loved. One side of the land borders a small, 3-runway county airport, and the other three sides border privately owned farm land.

    A few years ago, he went to his property and was arrested. The new airport manager called the police on him for trespassing on airport property. The road he had been using and maintaining since 1980 to access his 40-acres crosses in front of one of the runways, although hundreds of feet away and out of the clearance zone. His road is straight down the property lines between the airport and the farm. The airport manager told him they were revoking his access, he was trespassing, and would be arrested each time he tried to get to his property.

    This has not brought out the best in my dad. He did not think much of the government before being arrested, and as you can imagine, this situation has infuriated him. This is a tiny airport in a small town and there isn't much going on. The owner of the property before my dad used the same access without any issues, and my dad always thought his road was "grandfathered in".

    My questions: Is this legal? The only way onto his property is alongside the boundary of the airport property (which they have made clear he is not to set foot on), or straight through a fully developed farm. Where do we go from here?

    Thanks for any advice you can send my way. I would love to help him navigate this mess and hopefully get him back to his place of happiness.

    submitted by /u/trashcan_carla
    [link] [comments]

    My girlfriend has an awful boss who’s constantly trying to pay her off to do sexual acts with him, needing guidance.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    She works at a small company that's family owned. He's made several attempts (in text with proof that we both have) to pay her off to do things with him. In text I also have proof of him saying it would better her job security. He's attempted sexually touching her multiple times as well.

    On top of all this, the job doesn't tax anyone and just pays cash under the table. I called today to tell him he needs to leave her be (she's 90 pounds and extremely petit so she's not very comfortable with standing her ground, as well as her not wanting to lose her job) I'm just looking for guidance on how to have this man held responsible. After I spoke with him, he told her he will have her fired if he ever hears of this again. He's also married if that has anything to show how much of a POS he is. Should I contact the Better business Bureau and report him/the company, and how would I go about this? Please and thank you! We live in Georgia, United States

    submitted by /u/Laulparbopcop
    [link] [comments]

    Went on military orders, boss didnt hold job.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 04:40 PM PDT

    I am in the USCG as a reservist and was ordered to do 2 months of training, I gave my boss 4 months heads up and a copy of my orders, I just returned and called him to let him know I returned and will be returning to work after a 14 day quarantine. He told me that he hired a fill in driver to fill my route while I was gone and that he doesn't have a full time spot for me and will come back as part time with less pay, is there anything I can do?

    I work for FedEx Ground. For an independent contractor.

    I'm located in Pennsylvania in the USA.

    submitted by /u/ihazacat
    [link] [comments]

    can i whistleblow my workplace (a private mental hospital) for covering up sexual assault?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:31 PM PDT

    hi. posting on a throwaway account here for obvious reasons.

    i work at a large, for-profit mental hospital in california. i've been doing social work for years and it is one of the most horrifyingly mismanaged and dangerous workplaces i've ever encountered. i'm getting the fuck out, thankfully, but i heard from two of my friends who work directly on the wards (a nurse and a psych tech) that there is a client who has sexually assaulted multiple other clients while in our custody. he is on 5-minute checks (where a tech has to find him and note what he's doing every five minutes) and still manages to sneak into women's rooms and grope them, take out his dick, throw them on the floor, etc.

    the place where i work has a "banned" list. you intentionally destroy a lot of property or assault a staffer, you're on the banned list. you're never coming back to our hospital, no matter how bad your crisis is. upper management refuses to put this guy on the banned list. apparently compounding people's trauma while they're already in crisis is a-ok, but not breaking a goddamn toilet!

    i know i don't have a lot to go on here. i don't know the guy's name, and even if i did it's a hipaa violation to share it. it's all hearsay to me since i don't work on the wards. but....is there anything i can do? any kind of state investigation to trigger? this makes me so deeply, deeply enraged.

    submitted by /u/a_stinky_sock
    [link] [comments]

    Fidelity Investments won't release funds

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    My brother died last year and had 3 retirement accounts with Fidelity. I've sent them the death certificates three times along with the Letters of Administration howing that I am the probate administrator. I have a case number, but they keep telling me I have to start the whole process over. They also say they never got info from his employer, but the employer says they gave them the info that he died, too. After being on hold and talking to three different people for a total of two hours yesterday, I was finally told that the department that needs to help me has gone home and to call back Monday. But they said "I'm sorry, i can't give you that information" when I asked what the name of the department is. I've been at this for four months now. Any advice? California.

    submitted by /u/RationalViolet665
    [link] [comments]

    (MI, USA) Neighbors keep driving through my backyard where pets are and I don't know what to do.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    I don't know when it started but I've been seeing tracks through my backyard and the other day I noticed a car in my neighbors driveway ( which is behind their house) parked right where the tracks start. I witnessed the person drive through the driveway in those tracks while I was in the backyard with the dog.

    I've parked my car that I don't use perpendicular to the tracks however it looks like one could still make it around me. I put a sign that said "beware of the dog" to try and close the gap as well.

    Is there anything else I can do? Should I set up a camera to get it on video? Could the police help at all?

    I'm worried about the dogs safety. She knows to stay off the road but now my neighbors are bringing the road to my backyard.

    Edit: Late update as I've been at work. One roommate has offered to talk to them and I'll hear back on that hopefully soon.

    As for the nails comments, I did as a joke (not in this post) say that was an option but I know full well that's not. Which was the whole reason for this post. If you have pets I'm sure you understand the anger something like this can cause.

    I'll try to get video and show this to the police if/when they do it again. I verified that a fence would be an option however the masonry idea sounds cheaper.

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/galva169
    [link] [comments]

    Passed up for Promotion 4 times, Possible discrimination case, and now I'm being forced out of my job after going to HR. I work in education and this has just put me in an awful place in so many ways, Do I have any hope with a case?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:22 PM PDT

    Thanks for looking at this, I'll try to sum up this mess as quick as I can...

    I was hired into a tech department at a wealthy school district almost 5 years ago. I came from an experienced background with degrees, certs, and high proficiency in tech but started at an entry level position. After 2 years I helped refer an ex-colleague of mine on who had no college, no formal training, and some narcotics issues. As time went by I was passed up for promotion again, and again. This friend of mine was promoted twice... Showing up late, but fitting in really well with the admins/managers. People at work began to call me a terrorist jokingly, admins micro-managed me by the minute, I began to be threatened with termination after suffering injuries doing increasingly basic/labor intensive work rather than tech-orientated and I was overall treated worse and worse.

    I noticed not one of my admins/managers came from anywhere else besides the same few towns around our district. All of them grew up wealthy, without secondary education, a real good-old-boy network in the south. (I'm Greek and look very middle eastern, first generation in the United States). One of 3 primary hiring admins also berated me and laughed at my frustrations, voting against me formally while calling me a terrorist too... I finally went to HR and provided witnesses to my mistreatment as well as all my complaints and dismissal of merit at this job.

    The HR person's advise was to find another district to work for. He was yet another wealth good old boy from nearby. 1 hour after he dismissed the case, my yearly evaluation came in and was shockingly low. I messaged him about it, calling it retaliation, and ending the email, please help me, with his response being a link to a grievance form... The evaluation was written with one line even stating - "he has displayed his frustration in and around team members and it has put everyone in an uncomfortable situation". This has never happened, I have never fought with my co-workers, always had great camaraderie and couldn't believe reading this. I view it as her, also labeling me a terrorist. This only makes me feel more nauseous as I'm also a veteran of the Air Force.

    I'm at my wits end. I had one consultation with an attorney and she told me my case is weak as a white man for discrimination. Only discrimination caught the firm's ear. I'm sure there are other issues there, but I don't know where to begin with a toxic work environment, ignoring merit completely, harassment with micromanagement and etc. That said, my admins/managers are all southern men and women without a single person from anywhere else. I am the only person who speaks a second language of different origins that has even dared to try obtaining a promotion from these people. Any thoughts would really be appreciated. Do you guys think I have a chance in court?

    submitted by /u/BigThanasi
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal for Customer Support to refuse to help a current customer based on gender or age?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    Background: My mom, who lives in the USA in Washington State in the City of Seattle, is a Comcast customer. They randomly started charging her a lease for a second Cable Box... despite her not having ordered one OR having a second TV to connect it to. For the past few months she has been calling in every month and every month they reverse the charges and tell her they've removed it from the account. But then it shows up the next month on her bill again.

    Question: the last time she called in to complain/get it fixed the representative refused to help her because a) her age (she is 71) and b) because she was a woman. The actual words of refusal were that they couldn't explain it to her and "why don't you get your son on the phone, I can explain it to him." When she explained that I didn't live in the same state so that wasn't possible, the CSE then told her to "get a man on the phone, I can explain it to them". And they flat out refused to help her because she was a woman. Is that legal???? She was pretty offended and told the CSR that was ageist and sexist. At which point she was hung up on.

    So again, my question is: is it legal for a cable company to refuse the primary account holder support over a legitimate billing mistake because she is 71 or because she is female?

    As an aside: after she was hung up on, Comcast abruptly cancelled her account for "non payment". This is despite her being a 5+ year customer in good standing who always pays her bills in full and early. Comcast can't explain this because, as per the CSR I spoke with, "there are no notes as to the termination. It looks like it was simply submitted with the status code of 'non-payment' without any documentation."

    submitted by /u/Eak-the-Cat
    [link] [comments]

    Underage daughter sexting

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:05 PM PDT

    My 13 year old daughter sent a photo of her "covered" private area to a 14-15 year old boy she knew personally when she was 12 through Snapchat. Luckily, he face was not in this photo.

    A year later, (now 13), she sent a photo of her in a bra and tights to a 15 year old boy she didn't know. He doesn't know her full name, and luckily didn't take any screenshots. She sent lewd non-nude photos to 7 boys, about 3 of them being over 18. He face wasn't in any of these photos.

    I made her block all of these boys and men, and made her deactivate her Snapchat account so her chat logs between them get erased.

    As far as my daughter knows, these photos were not distributed, and if they were, they weren't distributed very widely, and there is no evidence it was taken by a minor as these boys/men don't know her very well.

    Also, if her username was mentioned in the photos, the account is gone, so nobody can contact her, or "unleash" her identity.

    Can my daughter go to juvie? I'm very anxious, and I'm not quite sure what to do. Should I be worried about prosecution?

    State: Missouri

    submitted by /u/yorkvilleyander
    [link] [comments]

    Next door neighbor keeps sabotaging our parking spots

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    I have lived at my current address for over three years now and in the street I live on there is only street parking. There are three people in my household who drive (so there are three cars parked on the street). Now this is a pretty full street and each of our neighbors has 1-2 cars parked. To give some additional background my mom parks her car in front of our house, my brother parks his car across the street which doesn't have much space but can fit one vehicle, and we have neighbors next door who live to the right who has one car parked in front of her house and left of us who park two cars front of their house.

    Now the house to the right of us was vacant for a few months and during that time I parked in front of that house. A new tenant moved in shortly, and she did not have a car at first so I did not see a problem parking there. After a few more months she got a car and I left her the spot so she can park in front of her house out of wanting to be neighborly. I started parking behind her car, further to the right of the street (mind you this is street parking so no one has "dibs" over a spot). One day I was in a rush I parked in her spot for a few minutes to get something from my house and she came shortly after and parked behind me (in "my" spot, slightly further down the street) and she made a big deal about it and became vulgar.

    We left her the spot in front of her house after that as we do not want any trouble. After that she started leaving trash in front of our cars and leaving sharp and objects and large pieces of wood in front of it so that we would not see and potentially hit those items. Now, I was aware of what she did as soon as I went to my car and always moved the items out of the way to leave my spot. My family members and I have never retaliated and left anything near her car and always left ample space. She would even park very closely to my mothers car leaving her no space to pull out.

    Now she left a chair in between the spot in front of my family's house and hers, "dividing" the spots and left a sign saying "not to touch" the chair. It's a pretty pathetic attempt to control a parking spot but now she is taking things too far by choosing how much space we can park in front of our house. I can easily move the chair but I am concerned that she is going to keep upping the ante.

    Is there anything I can do from a legal perspective to get her to knock off this nonsense because it has become frustrating and we are concerned about her potentially leaving damage to our vehicles.

    TLDR: next door neighbor keeps sabotaging our parking spots and leaves trash and large objects around our cars that we can hit. Now she left a chair on the street in between my mothers spot and her's to "divide" the spots, and this is becoming too ridiculous to deal with anymore.

    *Also this is in the United States if that helps.

    submitted by /u/999brakes
    [link] [comments]

    Charged for Medical Services that did not occur.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    Good Afternoon LegalAdvice,

    In October, I went to the local ER (South Carolina) due to a swelling in a portion of my abdomen. I was treated and several hours later, sent home.

    When I received statements from the visit, I was charged for "Tobacco and Smoking Cessation Counseling" which never occurred. I am not a smoker and have never been a smoker. There were no questions regarding me smoking during the ER visit as my wife was present the whole time and verified.

    I immediately called the billing service and they said they could open a dispute. They did open a dispute and the charges stood due to the medical records having been coded as this event occurred.

    I proceeded to put in a HIPAA Medical Records amendment request and after waiting a few weeks i got an updated copy of my medical records. The records now show an amendment that there was no counseling.

    I called the billers to have them remove the charge line. I disputed this again and they said they cannot remove it due to policy.

    They said that they could discount the amount of the charge but not remove the line. I told the billers that the money wasn't the issue, but the line indicating a service that never occurred and indicated that I was a smoker.

    My concern is that documentation exists saying I am a smoker. My company charges an additional premium if you are a smoker. Though my employer does not have access to my records, I do not want anything to indicate me as a smoker when I have never been one. Am I stuck with a permanent false record of me being a smoker or is there another avenue I can pursue?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/acasehs
    [link] [comments]

    My brother was bit by a large dog in the state of NJ while delivering food for doordash.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    As the title says, my brother was bit on the right arm by a large size dog creating deep injuries (deep scratches from the bite and 4 deeper cuts from the canine teeth).

    The dog was not leashed and the instruction of the door dash app was to leave the order by the door.

    At the moment of the attack the owner did not notice the attack therefore was not able to stop the attack.

    After the attack the owner helped my brother with the injurie.

    My brother didnt look for medical help due to the adrenaline. He went straight home.

    We went to the hospital after he got home

    What could be his rights now? The injuries might hinder his ability to write or some coordination movements, what should he do? What should we look for to help with the hospital bill, and with the problems with the arm?

    submitted by /u/88042360lflf
    [link] [comments]

    Breaking lease because of asbestos

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 05:41 PM PDT

    I currently rent an apartment in California that was built in 1973. The apartment has popcorn ceilings that appear to contain asbestos. While the ceiling isn't in disrepair or anything, I've been finding small white pieces of like textured paint on the carpet a few times a week. I finally sent them off to a lab since I was paranoid about it, and they came back positive for asbestos. I don't know for a fact that it's from the ceiling, but I'm concerned that I'm being exposed to asbestos in light of the lab findings.

    I have a month left on my current lease and I had already renewed the lease for another year starting in September. Can I break my lease? Is there any chance that I can get the landlord to refund some of the rent or pay for movers?

    Edit: I had previously asked my landlord if the popcorn contained asbestos and he said that he didn't know. Hence why I decided to have the pieces on the ground tested.

    submitted by /u/legaladvice23
    [link] [comments]

    I am leaving my firm with a consulting project unfinished, but I'm still being asked to meetings after my quit date. Am I under any legal obligtaion to do the work or can the company sue me for the work I didn't do?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    Hi - I'm a Senior who was employed with a large technical professional services company, and for the last few months I have been the sole person responsible for my workstream on a project with an external client.

    Becaues of the work stress, I decided to quit and take a leave of absence two weeks ago. However, the work I'm responsible for wasn't completed, and other people on my team as well as the client are depending on my knowledge to get the programming work done. They are asking me if I can join their meeting next week, after my quit date, to help them hash out any questions they might have.

    I think this could be a slippery slope where if I help with the free work then they might ask for more things to do essentially for free. But I am concerned that the client / consulting company might sue me because I didn't finish my work during my time of employment and that's why I am thinking of attending the meeting. What should I do?

    I originally said yes because I felt guilty about the fact that I didn't finish my work, and I am also wondering if I might be legally liable if I do free work that's not under the protection of my old consulting company.

    Edit: I live in Minnesota.

    submitted by /u/Red_bag_of_courage
    [link] [comments]

    Texas developer took taxpayer money and is now reneging on promised community development promises. What can community do?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:31 PM PDT

    Hi

    I live in Farmers Branch, Texas. Our neighborhood developer took 43 million in taxpayer money to create a number of community development improvements including retail, boardwalk, grocery, hotel, and an amphitheater in the area. The developer has now said they cannot make these improvements which will hurt our home values and has only offered to pay the city back 1 million a year to make up for this.

    We are going to a planning and zoning meeting on monday night about this. I want to know if its possible for the community to sue the developer for affecting their home value as we just made a new build here for this very thing or what else we should do. What should I be saying at the meeting?

    submitted by /u/annoyingly_excited
    [link] [comments]

    Kentucky: Followup to: Absentee landlord neighbor's trees are ruining our fence.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    Thought you folks might like an update on this.

    So after reading the overwhelming advice here saying to trim them, I contacted the local PVA and a local lawyer, who agreed.

    Bought a nice electric pole saw, and set to work. I'm a relatively nice person, so I cut to within a foot of my side of the fence, just enough to clear the fence itself (which is still sorely in need of repair).

    Here's the after pictures from the first pass. Starting in that right hand corner I had to saw for a solid 10 minutes before any of the branches would fall. They're that entwined and grown together.

    Here's the photos from that first pass. Give me a few days to get rid of the debris, and I'll make my second pass getting rid of the canopy leaning over the fence.

    submitted by /u/CWinthrop
    [link] [comments]

    My job agreed to pay drive time then changed my hours without telling me

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    Hello! Last Tuesday my employers sent me to Alabama, from Florida, to do the instant coronavirus test. I asked my manager if we would be paid for the entire day and he said yes. He said that we would Arrive at work to clock in and leave from there. We would then come back at the end of the day to clock out. This is what I did and when I checked my hours today I saw they had been changed to 8.00 hours whereas I was clocked in for 11.98 hours. When I asked my manager about it, he said that the owners decided they were not paying all of those hours and we would only be getting mileage for that time spent driving. I am not sure if it is a legal problem that they will not pay us for the four hours that driving, that they said they would and then chose not to, or that they changed my hours from where I clocked in/out without telling me. If anyone knows anything that would be great!!!

    submitted by /u/Tutle13utts
    [link] [comments]

    Mom is an Immune Compromised Teacher Being Forced Back into the Classroom - What Recourse Does She Have?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 09:27 AM PDT

    As the title states, my mom is 56 and is a Teacher at a very low income public high school in Texas. She had Thyroid cancer around 12 years ago and also is immune compromised (diagnosed). In 2017, she had a very bad flu illness and had to file FMLA with her ENT doctor.

    Furthermore, she is the primary caretaker of my grandma (who lives with her), who is 89 years old and would be considered high risk if she were to come into contact with COVID.

    Given all of the above, not only is she herself in a high risk category, but she also is providing care to another high risk person.

    Based on what she has told me, her school has put in place very ineffective measures to reduce spread of COVID - her classroom has 20+ students and her desk is about 1 foot from the nearest desk. I have not heard of a strategy that they are implementing, nor do I believe that if they had one, it would be carried out well - given that these kids are NOT likely to adhere to them.

    My advice to her is not to go back to the classroom. So with that said:

    1. What are our options?
    2. What strategy do you recommend pursuing?
    3. In a scenario where her school does not allow virtual teaching, what recourse does she have?
    4. If she is denied ADA or some alternative, what then?

    Her financial situation is not great either - she has maybe $50K in her 401K and she has been teaching for 13 years, so she needs to continue working in order to qualify for retirement benefits (or at least maximize them).

    My understanding is that she can file for disability through the ADA - should this be our primary option? What would that entail?

    Just to add more to the pot, she has also went back to school and received a Masters degree in Guidance Counselling - so she has been applying to counselling positions in the past year, but has been unsuccessful.

    I'm very concerned for her health, so any advice here is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/superprokyle
    [link] [comments]

    suspect manager is taking advantage of disabled co worker

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:08 PM PDT

    Hello. I am hoping that I can explain this properly. I myself have a learning disability and have accommodations at work. I don't want this to sound like I am anti disabled, I am just trying to find the legally and morally right thing to do. My friend has a co worker with autism that prevents the person from performing their job. The co worker often stops work hides and screams loudly enough for customers to hear. every shift they will abandon their post and break things. the store manager has clarified that they is unwilling to fire the worker becuase they are disabled and can not handle the possible legal trouble. My friend asked if they could just give the co worker less shifts on the same time as my friend. Since my friend doesn't know how to handle the co worker he would prefer to avoid him. the manager refused. my friend asked if the manager could put the co worker on shifts and tasks that are less stressful, so the kid doesn't panic as often. the manager refused. manager said that it is expected that everyone will pitch in to make up for it and be nice to the kid.

    here is my issue. the manager is unwilling to make any changes to make the job easier on the autistic kid. won't change the shifts, or give them tasks they enjoy doing. It isn't like they can't do any tasks. Theres things they can do that make them happy and doesn't stress them out. But the manager will give them double shifts doing the tasks that stress them out the most. and tell everyone to deal with it

    so legally speaking is it possible for my friend to try to explain the kids right's to him? or ask his manager about it? is autism a disability covered by workplace accommodations. like me mentioning I have adhd to my manager meant I could play with a stress toy during meetings and stretch and walk around more. I feel like ... doesn't this kid have a right to have his shifts or tasks changed to account for what he can handle? But wouldn't it endanger my friends job to point that out to the manager? I worry that I'm morally in the wrong becuase just becuase someone is disabled doesn't mean they need their work changed. But I feel like the manager is mistreating the kid and my friend and I have no idea where to even start trying to fix it or improve it.

    submitted by /u/Ravenskysong
    [link] [comments]

    Aunt wants more money for a house I bought three years ago

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    Hello,

    So I bought a house from my aunt who made a mess of the transaction changed her mind on price hid information etc. we finally closed and I told her there would be no more money. Now she's asking me for money because of the equity gift...

    Do I have anything to worry about? This whole thing is crazy she signed the equity gift filed her taxes based on it and everything.

    submitted by /u/ThrowUpdatePc
    [link] [comments]

    My sibling is in danger and I want custody of her

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:36 PM PDT

    Hello all. I have a critical situation in my life at the moment and I have very little experience with these things. I have a 16-year-old sister who has been living with non-relative caretakers for the past 5 years. I am 19 years old. She lives in Wisconsin, I live in kentucky. We have the same biological father and different mothers. Neither of us have met our father. He lives in North Carolina last time I checked and her mother lives in Florida. She stays in contact with her rarely.

    I went to Wisconsin and we met for the first time in both of our lives a week ago. I have reason to believe she is being abused by her caretakers in some very bad ways. Her mother is okay with these people having her and does not want her daughter. I also believe these people do not have custody of her. She wants to move in with me and I want to take her in. Her "parents" would not let her and made death threats to both of us if we were to try it.

    I got the local police involved to see if they could help, which did not work. They convinced the
    police that I am not related to her and that the woman who my sister lives with is her aunt. I was told by the police if I did take her with me, I'd be jailed for abduction.

    I am prepared to go the lawyer route, but I would like to try any other options, if possible, before that. I stay in touch with her mother but I've not been able to contact my sister since I left Wisconsin. I've been worried to death and feeling like my hands are tied here. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

    Edit: I forgot to mention, CPS is already involved with my sister's household and I've contacted them with many questions about how to proceed and got vague answers.

    submitted by /u/Spectrosity
    [link] [comments]

    Movers broke open my storage unit and mistakenly took all of my personal belongings.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    Looking for advice/recommendations here to address something that occurred yesterday. I am a renter in a small condo and the most absurd thing happened to me yesterday. Story below:

    My neighbor (who I don't know) was working with movers to help a fellow neighbor (who is currently living across the country) move his belongings out of his appt into a warehouse. He mistakenly assumed that persons storage unit in the basement was theirs and told the movers to remove all the items from the storage unit. That storage unit was mine and was secure with a padlock on it, but the movers worked around it to gain entry to my unit and moved all my items (clothes, equipment, household items) to the warehouse facility. So basically, the moving company stole thousands of dollars worth of my belongings after being authorized by said neighbor despite having no evidence that this was the correct unit. I have since spoken with all the parties involved (both neighbors and moving company) and in order to retrieve my items, I now have to drive an hour to the warehouse next week (Live in big city- also don't have a car) to tag all my items so they can be returned to me. I will likely have to use PTO to do this and am extremely pissed off that I now have to take an unnecessary risk to work with strangers during a pandemic to address this issue. Even more frustrating is the fact that there's a god damn sign clear as day in the basement that shows the storage unit assignments with the corresponding appt number and the dude lacked the common sense to look at that or make a fbook post on our Condo group about it to verify that he had the right unit (or even knock on doors considering everyone is working from home).

    I'm curious as to what the next steps I should take are. I want to get as much financial compensation as possible but rather not be a complete dick about it and press charges considering it was a mistake and everything *should* be returned in good condition. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/swz413
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment