• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 27, 2020

    Legal Advice - Had several packages delivered to an out of town friend's address while i was visiting. She is refusing to give me the packages until i return collateral she had given me to secure a personal loan that she still owes a great deal of money on.

    Legal Advice - Had several packages delivered to an out of town friend's address while i was visiting. She is refusing to give me the packages until i return collateral she had given me to secure a personal loan that she still owes a great deal of money on.


    Had several packages delivered to an out of town friend's address while i was visiting. She is refusing to give me the packages until i return collateral she had given me to secure a personal loan that she still owes a great deal of money on.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 09:00 AM PDT

    I don't expect her to ever repay the loan. The collateral doesn't cover the value of the loan and I'm not giving it to her until the loan is repaid.

    Is there anything recourse to force her to give up the packages that were sent to my name but at her address?

    Can she legally open the packages and potentially keep the items intended for me? Items were delivered by UPS & the USPS equally.

    Help! Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Aka-throw-away2
    [link] [comments]

    We are at the end of our rope

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 05:51 PM PDT

    [edit for location: Portland, Oregon]

    Last Tuesday our neighbor in an apartment complex opened fire into a shared courtyard while my wife and another neighbor were in it. He was arrested, taken to a hospital for his psychotic break, released and home within 4 hours. The following night a neghbor and myself were able to talk him into going back to an emergency room as he realized he "might" have had a hallucination... he allowed us to be in the room at all times with the doctor and expressed that he did not care if they shared all information with us which I'm guessng s the reason the doctor felt t was okay to look up hs vsit from when the cops brought him in, his tox-screen tested positive for 'everything' (doctors words) . Our landlord says there's no way he can serve a 24-hour eviction notice or even ANY eviction notice..... wtf... the only thing he's willing to do is serve a failure to comply over 14 days to fix windows.... No one feels safe here. We cannot afford to go anywhere else and our sanity under this stress is deteriorating by the day.

    submitted by /u/bloodysundaystray
    [link] [comments]

    Upstairs neighbors keep dumping lighter fluid on my furniture. Do I have any recourse? Lake Elsinore, CA, USA.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 09:44 AM PDT

    Writing for my fiance's sister and brother in law.

    As stated, the upstairs neighbors periodically dump lighter fluid on my patio furniture. They have done a good job of avoiding me when I am outside but today I was out of view when they were pouring it. I peaked my head out and saw her holding a can of lighter fluid, and emptying it onto the couch, which she apparently had to lean over the railing to do. I asked why she was doing that and she quickly stopped and went inside her apartment. I have spoken with the management office and they document the occurances but i want this to stop, not just get written down every time it happens. They haven't stated whether they've spoken to the neighbors but if they have it hasn't motivated any change in behavior. In addition to the lighter fluid, they smoke on their balcony, which is overhead to my patio, and sometimes dump their ashes and cigarette butts, which have landed on the same furniture they're saturating with lighter fluid.

    Are they violating any codes or laws by dumping lighter fluid on my furniture? Legally speaking, is there something the management office is obligated to do but is failing to? Is there something else I can do to help prevent future dumping?

    Thank you for your advice.

    Update 1: Called the police and was informed that the property must be permanently damaged to file a report. They also were not concerned that it lighter fluid. They did open a file and stated they'd put notes in it so there was a record if we wanted to go to small claims court.

    submitted by /u/Voidslan
    [link] [comments]

    Mail is being withheld from us for a “dangerous dog hold” on a dog that is no longer living.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 12:31 PM PDT

    This may be long winded so I'll add a TLDR at the end. This has been an ongoing matter for about a year now. Initially, we got a red card in the mail saying "dangerous dog, mail withheld" on a dog that had been at our residence for 10+ years. For whatever reason, the carriers decided the dog was too vicious and asked us to move our mail box away from the door (2 inch thick wooden door WITH a security screen, just as the postal service mandates) even though there was no way of him getting out. So, we complied and moved it to the fence along side our driveway, about 5 feet from the public sidewalk. All is well and we continue to get mail. Then, about 4-5 months later, our dog dies (old age, RIP). We kept our mailbox in the same spot UNTIL we noticed mail and packages going missing. Presumably they were stolen because of how easily accessible the mailbox was at this location. So we moved the mail box back to its original spot that it had been in since this house was built in like the 1940s. Again, all is well until about a month later, we receive ANOTHER "dangerous dog" notice in our mail box with no mail. We go to the post office to speak to the post master and ask "what dog are you referring to?" and we couldn't get an answer. They just keep saying "move your mailbox". We tell them ma is being stolen but they don't care. Now the post master is being deliberately rude. We've spoken to multiple people including the post master and consumer affairs and they keep saying "we'll have to come to a decision". The dog is literally in ashes. There is no viable reason to withhold mail on a dog hold for a dog that doesn't exist. So now, we have to go to the post office multiple times a week to pick up our mail, during a pandemic I might add. Sometimes they can't even find it and we have to come back another day. But here's the part that really set me off. This morning I go in and pick up a weeks worth of mail and I'm going through the stack and I find a bright yellow card that has our address on it, in bold letters on the bottom it says "do not deliver this card" so it's obvious this is for the use of the post office only. On the back of the card, written in marker in all caps its says, "DOG HOLD FOREVER LOL". It actually says "lol" at the bottom. Someone very obviously made a mistake by letting this get lost in my stack of mail. This proves to me that this isn't a legitimate issue and they are just being petty for the hell of it. What can I do here? I refuse to move my mail box and let my mail continue to be stolen. What is my next step to get this resolved?

    TLDR: Mail withheld for dangerous dog. Dog dies, mail still won't get delivered. Petty note found in mail when I l picked up the mail from the post office. Consumer affairs and post master are not solving issue.

    submitted by /u/phantasticphlegm
    [link] [comments]

    Metro by TMobile let someone swap my cell phone number to another phone and now they won't help me.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    Hi, Thank you all in advance.

    I have my family cell phone plan with Metro by Tmobile. When I signed up with them approximately 2-3 years ago, I had to pick an 8 digit account pin to supposedly lock my account against transfer etc.

    Yesterday around 730pm I got a text message from Metro by Tmobile giving me a One Time Passcode. I was in my living room and haven't made any account changes for a few months.

    Fearing my accounts were under attack I frantically started locking my financial accounts and other accounts, and within minutes I started getting notifications and alerts that my different accounts were being tampered with, passwords changed etc.

    here's the crazy part. the password reset for my email account was my cell phone. So because the attacker transferred my cell phone number from my phone to their device they were able to then request a text message to reset my password on my hotmail account and get the One Time Password. The attacker got my hotmail account and then changed the password to my hotmail account and then enabled 2FA on my hotmail account.

    I was able to secure my financial accounts but they were able to get into my Authy account and remove all devices, luckily because Authy has a 24 hour hold on device transfer for 2FA swaps I didn't lose anything.

    I went to a Metro By T-Mobile store at 930 this morning. the customer service rep was actually very helpful and showed me the log of activity on my account, showing that someone did in fact activate another device yesterday and swap my cell to that phone.

    Here's why I need legal adviceTHE STORE THAT MY NUMBER GOT SWITCHED ON MANUALLY BYPASSED THE ONE TIME PASSWORD AND I HAVE SCREENSHOTS SHOWING THAT THE ONE TIME PASSWORD WAS BYPASSED BY THE METRO PCS EMPLOYEE

    This suggests to me that the store employee didn't get a photo id and just let someone else swap my phone to a new device under the guise of "oh I broke my phone and can't get the text message to unlock my acount"

    Also, when I called in to MetroPCS today...the supervisor(in a call center....THEY TOLD ME "OH OUR CORPORATE OFFICE DOESN'T HAVE A PHONE NUMBER") told me that "we changed our security systems a few months ago and now the store employee can swap phone numbers to different phones and bypass the one time password if you have a photo ID".... they clearly didn't have a photo ID because I..WASN'T THERE

    I'm sure whoever reads this can tell I'm upset, I don't know what to do, I call the call center and they tell me they can't tell me what store this happened at, which I don't believe at all...and then they tell me their corporate office doesn't have phones.

    How can I compel metro by tmobile to tell me what store did this???? I have screenshots...that even have notes in them from the employee that made the changes. I have the employee ID number. Metro is definitely trying to shield themselves at this point.

    Can anyone help me? I don't even know what to do next.

    edit: I am located in Massachusetts in the United States. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/MoveTheMetal
    [link] [comments]

    Less than a month ago I got a security system from a company well know that starts with V. Last night around 1 AM - 3 AM, my truck was broken into and tools were stolen. I call to get the footage but they can’t since they can only send me clips when someone is detected. The Rep told me otherwise.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 12:20 PM PDT

    I'm located in Texas

    Going to the beginning of the day I get the system.

    A Door to Door rep comes to my house and give me info. I told him that I was looking into a system that records not only through clips but if something happens that isn't caught , that I can go back and look it up and retrieve of the cameras don't detect something. The rep assured me that I can talk to a rep on the phone and they will send me the times requested to my email. I said that's great and I signed up.

    Everything went well with the installation and has been great until a couple of minutes ago.

    I talked to customer service through a chat and asked for the footage from 1 AM to 3AM and I was told to check on my system for clips, I told them that nothing was recorded during that time and that I need to get those hours retrieved. I was told that that would be impossible since the cameras only record when they detect someone nearby. I told her what the rep told me and she straight up told me he lied about that. I asked her if she can give me a number to end my contract over false pretenses and she gave me a "loyalty number".

    I call the number and I getting offered a life alert type device and auto repair insurance. I told them that I need to talk to someone who can help me cancel my contract and they would hang up. I called multiple times and the same shit happens. On my last call, I demanded to talk to someone or I will file a complaint to the FCC and they hung up on my and blocked my number! I call and a voice message tells me that the number I am calling is not available in my area?! How?

    So other than actually filing a complaint to the FCC, what else can I do?

    submitted by /u/icallmydadstranger
    [link] [comments]

    My Friend in the US is in an extremely abusive relationship with his family

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Hello, my online friend and I messed up, we started talking about our personal issues and his Mom heard what he told me about his family. She had her ear against his door listening till he finished then came in after we moved to another topic and started threatening him saying "You know you are my son. I will show you that you are my son I made you. I will show you that you are my son." I could hear him shaking trying to explain himself and she says a bunch of other things then says "Don't worry about what I will do you will see". I am now scared that he might get everything taken away from him and be moved back to his mom's country, Africa. Or extreme punishment and/or possibly murder. He works and when he gets his paycheques his mother takes 50%. One time he said he wanted to keep it all to buy clothes she told the whole family to guilt-trip him then had his brother who was in texas to fly to them in Missouri and his brother woke him up in the night and threatened to beat him if he ever disrespected his mom again and that he shouldn't say no because she's his mother. Then he said if he ever wanted to leave he would hunt him down.

    I am asking for as much advice you can give that I can message him/show this post to him. As soon as possible, please. What should he do in this situation he is terrified right now. I don't want him to do anything drastic without any info. Please and thank you

    EDIT; What I've written is only what occurred recently and a past event. He has faced far more abuse including Physical and verbal.

    submitted by /u/Rienstaller
    [link] [comments]

    I recently purchased my home and the police have been coming by looking for a previous tenant, what can I do to stop them from bothering my family? VA

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 06:46 AM PDT

    A crazy Karen at Target wasn't wearing a mask and got in my face when I asked her to stop getting in my space repeatedly. It was like she was trying to provoke a scene and using me for an excuse. She screamed in my face and I felt spit hit my eye. I have a couple of questions.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    Location is upstate NY.

    This just happened and I'm furious. I very nearly slugged her because I was trying to back away but she kept coming. The only thing holding me back was that I'm 6'4" and she's a small, petite woman. Didn't feel like going to jail today.

    I have no idea why she targeted me. I'm a tall white guy with a beard. She was short, petite, dark hair, wearing sunglasses inside, as one does. Maybe I fit the profile she went in looking for, someone a lot bigger than her. She clearly wasn't there to shop; she had no cart or basket and wasn't carrying anything, no items from the store, no purse. I first noticed her getting right up next to me as I was in the produce area. Every time I picked something up, she'd grab something right next to it or reach for the same thing I was, brushing my arm every time. The third time it happened, I said something like, "Can you not?" and that's the first time I noticed that she wasn't wearing a mask. Masks are required upon entry at that Target, so I guess she took it off once she was in.

    That was literally all it took. She goes "WHAT THE FUCK?!" and heads turned all around. Here's where I'll note that I'm an introvert and this is just about the last thing I want, ever. The rest of what she said is a blur to me, I wasn't listening to the words, I was just backing away trying not to lay a hand on this tiny psycho because I knew right away that ANYTHING I did at that point was probably going to ruin my day. She used the word "rights" a lot and the general theme was that I had no right to tell her to blah blah blah. Then I felt the spit hit my eye. She didn't actually hock a loogie at me, it was just spittle that came out as she was screaming like a banshee. I stopped backing up and she ran into me. I was immediately in a rage, staring her in the eye, so close to hitting her. I think she could tell because it stopped her for a second and she took a step back. I threw my basket down hard and walked away (my sincere apologies to the Target employee who had to clean up my stuff). She yelled something at me but I don't know what it was, my ears were roaring. I just wanted to get out of there before she took it a step further, because at that point I probably would have hit her and wound up in jail.

    I literally started writing this post in the shower which I got into immediately after I got home, but obviously, if she was infected, I probably am too at this point, given that I unmistakably felt her spittle hit my eyeball. Now I feel like I should look into getting tested. I'm beyond angry.

    I have two questions...

    1) I am on the borderline of pressing charges. That, in my mind, was assault. Was it? How much of a hassle am I going to get into if I go down this road? I'm sure Target has it all on camera. As angry as I am, I really don't know if I want to go down a path where I have to get a lawyer, go to court... ugh.

    2) This is a moot point now, but I find myself wondering... What would have happened if I did slug her? Is that self-defense? On one hand I wish I had, and on the other I'm glad I didn't.

    submitted by /u/wafflesareforever
    [link] [comments]

    Can My In Laws Raise Money In My Husband’s Name?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 05:08 PM PDT

    My husband was murdered eight months ago. My in laws and their friends have been on my case to have a benefit in my husband's name. I said no, it's too soon. My son has an account for donations at a local bank if people are compelled to donate. Things are getting sour between my in laws and myself. I have a feeling they are going to have a benefit in my husband's honor, excluding my son and myself. I am the executor of my husband's estate, so do I have any way to prevent them from profiting on my husband's death?? Thanks in advance I am in New Hampshire

    submitted by /u/fabulous_phoenix
    [link] [comments]

    Question about my senior mother’s tenant rights (San Diego, CA)

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    My mother (68) has lived in half of a(n illegal) duplex for several months. The entire duplex is rented by one person, though the units are completely separate and have been rented as such for years. There is a staircase connecting the two, but it's sealed and blocked off with a sound barrier. My mother pays rent to the person who rents the entire duplex. I understand this is considered a sublet. The owner requested and received an application from my mother. There is no lease.

    The person renting the entire duplex was planning to move in the early fall. My mother was interested in taking over the entire duplex, and this is confirmed via text/email with the owners going months back and as recently as a week ago.

    The person renting the entire duplex has decided to leave on Monday. The owners emailed my mother and admitted it was a surprise and that they'd been expecting the person to leave late August/early September. They also acknowledged discussing my mother taking over the entire duplex. However, this early vacancy presents an opportunity for them to sell, and so they are assuming she will also leave Monday, stating she has no agreement with them.

    That's simply not possible. The person renting the entire unit is concerned the owners will sue them now because the entire duplex will not be vacated by Monday. Obviously, the owners could try, but am I correct to assure the other duplex renter that legally this is not their problem, given my mother's written communications with the owners, and that the owners need to issue my mother a separate notice?

    I'm also curious if this falls under the Ellis Act, which, to the best of my knowledge, requires 120 days notice if you intend to sell a residence occupied by a senior tenant.

    Thank you for any assistance.

    Location: City of San Diego, CA

    submitted by /u/dancingwithtomhanks
    [link] [comments]

    I work at an ice cream stand and my boss takes our tips. What can I do to fix this issuie? Location: Tampa Florida

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 08:48 PM PDT

    I work at an ice cream stand where all regular employees both make and take orders. There are no designated roles, you just go to wherever the store needs help. This means that every day you work you will both make and take orders. My boss decided its not fair that some of the runners (people handing out ice cream) will miss out on tips the person taking the order might get. (Usually we split it at this point cause if you don't someone will tell the boss... so you have to pay off the runners lol). The protocol in place is that we put these tips in a jar and the boss takes them and uses them for business expenses... on occasion she will buy us new aprons or shirts... point being we never actually get money from the tip jar.

    I need suggestions on what I can do to fix this. These tips are crazy as we get vacationers. I took maybe 30 orders today and made well over $70 in tips and didn't get to keep any of it. I've been told that the tip pool is supposed to be managed by the employees... but if we get caught cashing eachother out or splitting the money with runners and not putting it in the jar then we get written up. If we put it in the jar we never see it in its monetary form ever again lol...

    At this point I'm about to start refusing tips and saying we can't accept them.

    submitted by /u/itopdog
    [link] [comments]

    Registered Sex Offender wanting off registration list.... but is it possible??

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 03:45 AM PDT

    (Long-short version) When i was 18 years old i met a girl off a website (black planet.com). We met, hung out a couple times, met her parents etc. In the 3-4 months hanging out had sex twice.

    I came over her house one night and hung out. Her parents were out of town. We got into a argument that night. I left and basically told her I didn't want to talk to her again.

    Time passed. About a full 13+ months. I was driving and got a call from a detective. He asked about the girl. I had no clue because it had been so long. Eventually i remembered who she was. I agreed to come in and speak with him, in reference to the girl.

    The detective asks me a bunch of questions about me and the girl. How did y'all meet, how long did y'all date, did you guys have sex etc etc. I had no reason to lie about anything, plus i was unaware of any issues between me and the girl. I let him know how we broke up and that she was mad. At the end of the conversation he informed me that the girl i had been "dating" was 14 years old and she is saying i raped her! (Never have I ever felt my stomach and heart drop at the same time!) Our whole conversation was recorded.

    They didn't take me to jail or anything at that moment. I went home and was scheduled a court date some months later. After speaking to my lawyer he explained that the girl was underage. She had me over her house and got in trouble by her parents for having company. The girl got scared of her parents so made a story up that i came over and raped her, in order to prevent her getting a butt whooping for having company. But what makes it so bad is that she's underage!

    After court and the findings the prosecutors realize there was no rape. It was consensual, but not really because she was underage. I was at fault for having sex with a girl whose age and ID i failed to confirm. The case would of been dropped but I basically incriminated myself by telling the detective we had intercourse in our meeting that was recorded.

    My punishment was "Misdemeanor 4th Degree Sexual Assult of a Child" I got no jail time, 1 year probation and did not have to register as a sex offender..... is what i was told.

    I later moved back home to Texas where I'm originally from. Smh. I was unaware of the "different" laws in each state and the fact that I have to register. I now have (2) Failure to comply with registration requirements - both felonies, i also have to register for a lifetime as a sex offender. This is because my address wasn't updated in a timely manner on two separate occasions in the 19 years of dealing with this. I am now 37 years old! !

    Life is extremely tough as a sex offender!! I do take responsibility for my actions at that age. The girl did not act or look 14 years old. At 18 I never thought to ask girls for ID.... shoot i was nervous even catching eye contact with girls!!! I was young myself! Smh... I don't want to get into the depression part of things, but this whole living as a offender thing isn't fair. I don't think mistakes as a kid should hinder your whole life, for eternity! But I want to have this revisited with a lawyer and get off this registry!! It's ruining my life and i don't know what to do. Do you think i have a chance?

    submitted by /u/Yes-its-him
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make sure first responders find my house in case of a serious emergency?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    A couple nights ago, my dad passed out and was unconscious for two minutes. In that time, my mom, grandma, and I tried to wake him up, called 911 via my grandma's life alert button, and did everything we could to make sure he was safe before an ambulance arrived. We've had issues before with people finding our house; I don't know which systems are the main culprits, but unless we tell our visitors to go north on our road past an intersection, systems usually tell people to go to a cornfield south of our house. Knowing this, my mom had me drive one of our cars down to the edge of our yard with lights on so the ambulance would have a better chance of finding our house. 10 minutes later, I heard what sounded like a vehicle backing up. I found out later that that was, indeed, the first responders going to the cornfield. A few minutes later, they must have realized it was the incorrect place and found our driveway. My mom later told me that one of the first responders said that, had the car not been at the end of the driveway, they wouldn't have found our house. My dad ended up being ok (not a stroke or heart attack), and they were able to get him to a hospital.

    This case wasn't a super serious instance, but what if it had been? When minutes could be the difference between life and death? Is there a way for me to ensure my house can be found by first responders without having to explain directions in the middle of a crisis? (In the United States).

    submitted by /u/Meepmarks
    [link] [comments]

    Am I being forced to work off the clock?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 02:12 PM PDT

    So I work at a call center from home, and I'm paid on an hourly basis. Normally we have to log in to a system at work that allows us to keep records of who we spoke with, but for what ever reason my password was not being accepted by the system so I had to have my Supervisor reset it for me. I don't know why hes having so many issues with doing that, but It's been around 4 days that I haven't been able to log in to the system, therefore I haven't been able to take calls because all calls must be notated in the system I have no access to. During this time, my supervisor has been instructing me to stay near my computer, restart it, keep trying a list of passwords he's provided me with, and send him updates every so often on whether or not I'm able to log in from the time I'd normally log in at to the time I'd normally clock out at (Even on days where I have mandatory overtime for one or two hours). I was checking with my manager while getting clocked in today as to whether or not my hours were correct on a certain day and he informed me that I wouldn't be being compensated for the days I haven't been able to work yet still had to show up and troubleshoot this issue. If this was a couple hours I could understand that, but this is a little more than half of my pay period that they're talking about not paying me for and in that time I could have been doing odd jobs or making an income in some other way. My question is: would this be considered working off the clock, or do I not really have any course of action that would lead to me being compensated for my time?

    submitted by /u/TransitionNeither672
    [link] [comments]

    How to file a restraining order and get my abusive father out of the house?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 09:24 PM PDT

    Living in NJ.

    This just happened an hour ago and I've calmed down enough to collect my thoughts. My father punched my dog because he wasn't getting up to go outside when he was told. I immediately shielded him from being hit further and said that I would take him outside along with our other dog.

    Dad continues to follow me outside intent on hitting my small dog again for not listening, so I hold him back and tell him that I'll take care of it and just go inside. He then proceeds to grab me and starts getting physical with pushing, while yelling at me.

    I pick up the dog to bring him somewhere safe indoors. My dad proceeds to follow me and start slapping me for caring about the dog more than him. He's slurring his words slightly so I yell that he's drunk and he needs to go inside. Teens from next door show up asking everything is okay, and I tell them that he's drunk and I'll be able to take care of things.

    He continues to grab me and try to hit me as I'm going inside. I try to bring him inside because of how loud he is, but he trips over himself and then takes it as me shoving him. He proceeds to push me down a small flight of stairs and start punching and throwing objects at me.

    At this point my mom comes to break up the fight, but he still continues to try and hit me then he starts trying to hit her. Honestly, that's when I lost it and I started punching him to stop so I could defend her. He also threw something at me that shattered and cut up my foot really bad. Not only that, but my face is a little beat up from having my glasses punched off my face and slapped.

    I have pictures of my bloody foot, messed up face, and I can get pictures of our kitchen tiles being broke along with pieces of the wall broken off from the struggle.

    Things have calmed down as we are in separated areas of the house, but he is being extremely difficult in leaving as my mom wants him to.

    When can I go to the local police station to file a restraining order and press charges? Would pictures and physical proof be enough evidence to get one and a letter for him to vacate premises immediately? I want this abusive alcoholic man out of mine and my family's life. I don't even want to think about how much he could've hurt my dog if I didn't stop him either.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/dankniss
    [link] [comments]

    Fraudulent Adoption

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    My ex adopted my daughter. Turns out we weren't legally married because he was still married to someone else. I'm working on getting the marriage annulled but with the Covid shutdown everyone is extremely backed up and I haven't been able to set up a meeting yet to move forward.

    My question is about my daughter. My state has a statute of limitation to contest an adoption of 1 year. Is there any way around this at all? He adopted my daughter in March of 2015. I didn't find out about the fraudulent marriage until late 2018 and I didn't have proof until late last year that he was still married to his first wife so I didn't have much to contest with. Also he is currently in federal prison for an unrelated fraud case. He's saying they will be releasing him soon due to Covid and I plan to file a restraining order as soon as he is released.

    My daughter is 12, she has said she absolutely doesn't want him as her father anymore. He was emotionally and psychologically abusive to both of us. Him going to prison was the best thing that ever happened to us. I don't want to have her grow up being tied to a man that fraudulently adopted her and did it for personal gain. (He used her and myself to make himself appear to be the perfect family man so he could con people out of millions in startup investments. He also used my daughter to further his second business by using her in YouTube videos and advertising) Is there anything I can do?

    UPDATED: Added information that is relevant. I live in Alabama. She was adopted in Alabama. We were "married" in 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada. We lived in Alabama for all of our "marriage" except the last year.

    Long story, but we were separated, he took my daughter with him to Texas to live and refused to bring her back to Alabama. Basically threatened to keep her from me unless I moved to Texas and took him back. Legally my address never changed from Alabama and neither did his.

    submitted by /u/Wardamnfox
    [link] [comments]

    my apt manager didnt put my rent money orders to my rent

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    so the other day i was contacted by my apt complex property management aka corperate had sent me an email stating that i had payed the month of junes rent via there online portal. but i just recently paid for 2 more months of rent with 3 money orders consisting of $1000, $700, $70 and i had talked to the manager and directly handed them over to her. come to find out from corperate that none of those money orders went towards my rent what so ever and that 2 of the money orders went to another tenant rent and the $1000 money order they have no idea where it went let alone if anyone cashed it out yet. they had asked me to get in contact with my bank which i did and ask them if possible they can tell me who cashed out the money order. the bank told me they cannot give out that info due to the fact its a money order etc. i was just wondering how i would go about handling a situation like this??? i do live in phx az and reside in maricopa county. only stating this due to the different landlord tenant rights from state to state

    submitted by /u/mkjbear420
    [link] [comments]

    Am I Responsible For a Single Bed Bug Found In My Apartment? (Michigan if that's important)

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    A few months ago I found a single bed bug in my laundry basket it was un-fed and could barely move, this made it easy to capture. I took a picture and sent it to our land-lord, he came by to verify and had an exterminator come by two days later. When the exterminator he asked us if any furniture was new, we told him our couch was new, and he proceeded to check it along with the rest of the furniture and their crevices. He found absolutely nothing; he wanted to spray so we complied. Before we left the apartment for three hours, I asked the exterminator where he thinks the bed bug came from and he said "It probably hitched a ride on someone outside and ended up in the laundry room, where it then found it's way into your clothes".

    A few weeks later the building manager sent me a text saying that the exterminator would be coming back in a couple of days for a second inspection. When he arrived he was not alone, he was with our land lord. After the exterminator re-checked our furniture and found nothing, the exterminator said he wanted to spray again and the land-lord not the tenant gave him the go ahead to spray again.

    Fast Forwarding to the beginning of June, I get a bill for seven-hundred and five dollars. Five Hundred for the pest treatment (the two treatment sprays, one forced by the land lord after nothing was found), two-hundred dollar service fee to the apartment , and a five dollar late fee for every day late even though this was my first time seeing this bill (its much higher now).

    Now this is where my lease comes in. Under the section titled PEST CONTROL it says:

    " The community is being treated on a regular basis. You are asked to assist pest control efforts by maintaining a high standard of good housekeeping. Residents with pets must pay an additional charge for de-fleaing. Bed bugs, fleas, cockroaches that are found in the unit or surrounding units and/or common elements of the property are to be treated at the resident's expense. "

    If I'm responsible for treatment then can the land-lord request the exterminator to spray at my expense if nothing was found? The building manager has also told me that I'm required to pay because the exterminator determined the cause was my couch (even though he found nothing twice and previously said the cause was the laundry room). Also the lease says nothing about a $200.00 service fee (the apartment company literally did nothing). The property is also not treated on a regular basis. Can I fight any of this? I had a hard time finding what Michigan State Law says about this issue.

    Also thank you in advance for answering my questions.

    submitted by /u/M1chigander
    [link] [comments]

    The worst, best buyer for my car. Potential scam? Looking to see what the outcome could be here if buyer backed out of agreement.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    Ok, so back in February I was selling my car and after about 50 inquiries I got a good opportunity to sell it to a very interested and local buyer. He came to check it out, in person at my house. It's a "modified race car" we'll just call it that and pretty sought after since they are becoming more and more rare. He was super interested, we talked for a while and he basically said he would pay full price.

    As we were discussing options for date of sale and when he could pick up the car he mentioned he was in the process of buying a new house with his girlfriend and said he would give me a good down payment for the car in cash every couple weeks when he got paid but wanted me to hold it for a few months till he moved into his new house. Since it was winter and didn't want this car driven in the snow I said no problem to his request. It wasn't doing harm just sitting in my garage. I just told him I would immediately take the listing down but he could not back down on his agreement and whatever he gives me in cash during that time would be mine if he backs down or not. Three months of not listing a car online and backing out would be tons of potential sales I could be missing out on.

    We shook on it but didn't have any signed paperwork, bill of sale, transfer of title etc...a week went by and he sent me some money, a couple weeks later more money, and kept giving me money through Venmo for about three months. During this time just a hand shake and him sending me cash digitally.

    For those few months (February, March, April) he paid me about $3,000 as a downpayment. Keep in mind we shook on this deal, nothing else.

    This is where things get weird. When it was time for him to officially buy the car I couldn't get a hold of him. After about a week of silence and me texting and calling him he finally got a hold of me on Facebook messenger and said he lost his phone and said not to call him. Just message him on Facebook. So I did and things were fine for a couple days. Then more silence after a few days trying to figure out when we could seal the deal. Then finally messaged me and he told me he had to go to Mexico because his grandma died of COVID...I felt horrible for him and agreed that I could wait a couple weeks.

    After a couple weeks I messaged him to figure out what to do. Nothing. Went about a week of silence and he told me he was stuck in Mexico because the border was closed. ??? He is a US citizen so idk why he couldn't come back? I said, "ok, so when can you get back home?" He just said he would contact me in a couple weeks. So a couple weeks come by and I don't hear anything. I message him and I can see he is leaving me on "read" for a few days after multiple messages.

    He finally gets back to me and tells me his dad now has COVID (I can't make this shit up if I wanted) he even sent me "proof" from the hospital paperwork without asking and it looked totally legit. So despite my frustration I just tell him to take his time and tend to his family issues and hit me back up soon.

    He finally contacts me a week later and says he will send me more money. Sends me another Venmo payment for $800. We get into the end of May. I believe at this point I have close to $4k without any bill of sales, any paperwork, I still own the car, it's in my garage and I have the title in my name still...I just want the car gone at this point.

    Since May 28th i have sent multiple messages to him on Facebook asking when we could finalize the deal and he just leaves me on "read" it's been almost a month of this guy ghosting me. It makes no sense...why would he be doing this?

    So here I am, with around $4,000 of his money that he gave me in cash and the buyer is ghosting ME. If I was a totally shitty person I could break all contact and keep his money. But I'm trying to just sell him this car and can't get a hold of him but I can see he reads my messages. Just doesn't respond.

    Since there is no paperwork and I need to move this car now, are there are repercussions to just messaging him and saying I'm putting the car back up for sale? This dude has wasted so much of my time and delayed the sale of my car for months. I told him any money he gives me I can't give back since taking this car off the market would delay things.

    Is this a scam? I'm looking for advice what to do next or what legal repercussions could happen? Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this but I'm stuck and don't want to get into some legal bullshit because this guy is ghosting me.

    submitted by /u/Purplepunch36
    [link] [comments]

    Court Documents Available Online About my Minor Self (Family Court)

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    Posting for a Friend

    State During Case: Arkansas

    Current State of Residence (Self): Georgia

    Current State for Others: Arkansas

    My mother died in 2017, and I have been struggling with my sister's grandparents (whom I don't share a biological connection with). I have since gone through my mother's stuff to find court documents that I proceeded to look up online. As a minor, I am appalled by seeing my name in these documents exposing personal, traumatic details of my childhood. There are case titles in my name, and I have never heard anything about any of this until finding these documents within the last week.

    I guess my question is--can I redact my name or do anything about this? It is a matter of public record, and my mother is not here to defend herself. Not only that, these records date back to when I was a child when I was not even able to defend myself. There are falsified statements in these records, and I am not sure what to do.

    LEGAL ADVICE HELP!

    submitted by /u/goldengirlc
    [link] [comments]

    Coparent not using her custody time

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    I am a stepparent of 2 girls. I'm a stay at home mom to 2 of my own biological children as well. Because I'm at home, my stepchildren's mother often wants to use me for child care. She does not offer to pay me. Parenting plan states that custody is to be split 50/50 between her and my husband, with alternating weeks.

    She wants me to watch the children on her "weeks." Because of her work schedule, this results in her dropping the kids off at 6am in the morning and picking them up at 6:30-7pm. So basically even on her "weeks," it is still the responsibility of my husband and I to get them ready for school, take them to school, feed them breakfast and pack them lunch, pick them up from school and feed them dinner. She comes and picks them up as late as 7pm sometimes and just puts them to bed, after all feeding and childcare responsibilities are taken care of by my husband and I.

    In my view, when we have them from 6am - 7pm on her "weeks," then we are the ones with full custody, not split custody. What should we do here? Im happy to have the kids but I believe she owes child support because we have an astronomical food bill.

    To sum up: stepkid's mom actually drops them off with us for 12+ hours on her custody weeks, but claims to be doing 50/50 and therefore doesn't pay any child support.

    Edited for spelling.

    submitted by /u/Lessmeatfortheplanet
    [link] [comments]

    Active Duty Military Ex Transferring Across Country. May Restart Custody Case

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    Tl;dr: Ex is being transferred to new location. Ex will not provide location. Ex may restart 3 year custody battle in new state. What can I do to prepare?

    Location: Southern California and Virginia.

    My ex is active duty military. We share 50/50 custody though he's forfeited the majority of his visitation and phone calls for the last year. He's received new orders across the country but won't provide any additional information in accordance to California law. I won't have an address, phone number, duty station, or Command to reference should anything happen in the unlikely chance he does take our child across the country for a visit.

    My biggest concern is regarding our custody. We've had 50/50 for the last year though he's made it clear that was to benefit him financially.

    My question is, could he cancel the hearings we have in our current state and reopen them in whatever state he's transferred to? Is there a wait time that he'd have to follow? What can I do to prepare?

    submitted by /u/LumiEssence
    [link] [comments]

    Forced Retirement Per Company's Words - Discrimination?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 07:14 AM PDT

    Happened in Illinois for the record...

    My mother (upper 60's) worked at an office job for the last 25 years. She told me she's never been disciplined by the company and performed her job up to the company's expectations. A couple of weeks ago, she was told she was being discharged. The reason given, and the company actually wrote this on the discharge document, "Jane is retiring." However, my mother never informed her company that she was retiring.

    Basically, what happened was the company interviewed another individual that was about 15 years younger and decided they wanted to hire her. Rather than be decent humans and offer my mother a few months of pay in exchange for her voluntarily leaving the company, they forced her out of the job with one week of notice. The company went on to hire that individual that they interviewed at a higher salary than that of my mother.

    After catching wind that my mother wasn't happy and felt discriminated against, one of her bosses actually called her at home and began to try to appease her (which to me almost seems like an admission that they might have messed up).

    Now my mother is toying with the idea of taking action against her former employer. My mother isn't vindictive and expecting $500,000, but she does feel wronged. She told me she'd drop the matter for about 6 months of her salary.

    My question...is this an example of age discrimination? If so, what course of action would you recommend? Speak with her employer directly and ask for a few months of salary in exchange for dropping the matter? Going to the EEOC? Speaking with a lawyer? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/throwawayquestion606
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment